• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New water-based villainous team in XY 2.0?

MissingNo. 1

Reaction score
As most of you may know, the villainous team that was introduced in Pokemon XY versions was Team Flare, a villainous group that utilizes mostly fire-type Pokemon (among others, most of them being Pokemon that are typically used by villainous teams). That was, the way I see it, heavily one-sided, as the fire-type is one of the starter Pokemon's types and it also is only one Pokemon type out of the 18 types that we have so far. But also notice how in the Generation III games, Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald, there is a villainous team, Team Magma, that is extremely similar to Team Flare in terms of terminology, appearance & Pokemon type utilization. On the other hand, there is another team, Team Aqua, that is the rival of Team Magma and they appear in the same games (in the case of the former two, either to a greater or less extreme). Recently, it was announced that there will be RSE remakes, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire and Magma & Aqua will most likely appear for those games. As with previous generations that contained remakes, there are references between the games within the generation. Now here's my main point. We are all expecting another game(s) that is supposed to be set in Kalos, a "Z version" if it's a single game or "XZ & YZ versions" if it's a set of games as with the case of Generation V. What if, in order to balance things out, the villainous team that appears in the second Kalos game is a water-based team? If Z/XZ & YZ is indeed a sequel, then it would advocate for a new (or at least changed) villainous team as in XY, Team Flare was disbanded and the team leader was heavily implied to have died (I won't get into specifics to avoid spoilers). As with Team Plasma in Generation V. If the new villainous team in Generation VI is indeed a water-based team, then it would parallel the Magma/Aqua situation in RSE/ORAS which would definitely make sense as it would be references between the games in Generation VI. These are my reasons for predicting a water-based team in Z/XZ & YZ versions.

Team Magma was more of a Ground-type based evil team, unlike Team Flare which is more tied to the Fire element. Also, I don't want a new team in the third version, I want Team Flare, which has A LOT of potential, to be further explored. So many cool looking characters, the coolest looking grunts, a handsome team leader, but in the end, they were terribly handled in X/Y. There is no need for a new team, just character development for the Team Flare members.

Um, yeah...about that...

tumblr_mpsx2dwzMw1qlxmxno1_500.png

Team Magma was more of a Ground-type based evil team, unlike Team Flare which is more tied to the Fire element. Also, I don't want a new team in the third version, I want Team Flare, which has A LOT of potential, to be further explored. So many cool looking characters, the coolest looking grunts, a handsome team leader, but in the end, they were terribly handled in X/Y. There is no need for a new team, just character development for the Team Flare members.

The only problem I see with this is the implication of Lysandre's death. If he really did die, who would take the mantle of leadership? I would say Xerosic can, but if you do the Looker sidequest, he gets sent to prison. That leaves us with the other 4 scientists, or a random grunt.

Team Splash?

Nah jk. Pretty much what Reila said. That, and I want to see Malva interact with Team Flare. The only time we see interaction between her and the team is during the Looker side quest, which isn't a part of the main story.

Somehow i can't see this happening. Team Flare wasn't a Fire team, and Houndour/Houndoom have been used frequently by other teams as well. "Flare" fits well with their color scheme, and their villainous scheme to raze all of creation with a flower laser cannon. Fire tends to be equated with unbridled destruction and devastation. If it weren't for their flame-related name and bright orange and red designs, they'd probably be looked on as the generic poison/dark users evil teams usually are.

Which reminds me. Why are poison and dark types always used as bad-guy archetypes? Main series or spin-off, that's the trend. They really need to change this...

The only problem I see with this is the implication of Lysandre's death. If he really did die, who would take the mantle of leadership? I would say Xerosic can, but if you do the Looker sidequest, he gets sent to prison. That leaves us with the other 4 scientists, or a random grunt.
Never stopped Ghetsis. Or Zinzolin.

And for that matter, death implications never stopped Giovanni.

And for that matter, death implications never stopped Giovanni.

Well, at least they had the leader-eqsue air about them. Like I said, Xerosic could have taken over the mantle of leader, but he was sent to prison. The other scientists seem to be just there to move the plot along.

Lysandre was crushed under all that rubble. I don't recall Giovanni faking a death, but if he did, it was just that: fake.

Last edited:

Well, at least they had the leader-eqsue air about them. Like I said, Xerosic could have taken over the mantle of leader, but he was sent to prison. The other scientists seem to be just there to move the plot along.
Xerosic had way more of a "leader-eqsue air" in XY than Zinzolin had in BW.

Regarding your edit, my Giovanni comment was largely a joke, but it's true that Lysandre very likely isn't dead. He could be, but I don't recall any actual evidence. The Ultimate Weapon was said to have strange effects on those who used it...just look at AZ.

Regarding your edit, my Giovanni comment was largely a joke, but it's true that Lysandre very likely isn't dead. He could be, but I don't recall any actual evidence. The Ultimate Weapon was said to have strange effects on those who used it...just look at AZ.

He used it? Man, I must have not been paying attention, then. Well, that changes everything. If Lysandre has eternal life, he will most likely be alive.

If they make a third version, the events of XY will be scrapped and Lysandre will be perfectly alive again. I am hoping for a third version that heavily improves on Team Flare, like Platinum sort of did to Team Galactic. If they make sequels again, instead of a third version (which I hope they don't), then I have no idea who could be the boss of Team Flare... or if Team Flare would even be in the sequels.

If they make a third version, the events of XY will be scrapped and Lysandre will be perfectly alive again. I am hoping for a third version that heavily improves on Team Flare, like Platinum sort of did to Team Galactic. If they make sequels again, instead of a third version (which I hope they don't), then I have no idea who could be the boss of Team Flare... or if Team Flare would even be in the sequels.

I agree. Team Flare is the only team I like. I hope their story gets expanded upon.

My Giovanni comment was largely a joke, but it's true that Lysandre very likely isn't dead. He could be, but I don't recall any actual evidence. The Ultimate Weapon was said to have strange effects on those who used it...just look at AZ.

He used it? Man, I must have not been paying attention, then. Well, that changes everything. If Lysandre has eternal life, he will most likely be alive.
Well, he didn't unleash its full power, no, but he did use it to try and attack ("attack" in X...) the MC and co. after being defeated.

My Giovanni comment was largely a joke, but it's true that Lysandre very likely isn't dead. He could be, but I don't recall any actual evidence. The Ultimate Weapon was said to have strange effects on those who used it...just look at AZ.

Well, he didn't unleash its full power, no, but he did use it to try and attack ("attack" in X...) the MC and co. after being defeated.

Honestly, I'd prefer if Game Freak didn't pussyfoot around, and just let a villain die. It's getting old that they either go insane, or disappear.

Honestly, I'd prefer if Game Freak didn't pussyfoot around, and just let a villain die. It's getting old that they either go insane, or disappear.
I'll admit I was disappointed to see Giovanni's suicide theory proven false. That was one of the darker theories the series had, and they killed it off so he could appear in PWT. I happen to really like the PWT, aside from his appearance.

I feel like Lysandre has more potential, though, and I'd like to see him appear in "Z" in a state similar to AZ's. Death is dark, but there are things darker than death, which are possible if Lysandre ends up having eternal life...those of you who've beaten Mother 3 should know the sort of thing I'm talking about. Eternal torment, namely. Something like that could be very interesting.

I'll admit I was disappointed to see Giovanni's suicide theory proven false. That was one of the darker theories the series had, and they killed it off so he could appear in PWT. I happen to really like the PWT, aside from his appearance.

I feel like Lysandre has more potential, though, and I'd like to see him appear in "Z" in a state similar to AZ's. Death is dark, but there are things darker than death, which are possible if Lysandre ends up having eternal life...those of you who've beaten Mother 3 should know the sort of thing I'm talking about. Eternal torment, namely. Something like that could be very interesting.

That's a shame, really. I would have enjoyed that, had I known about it.

I never played that game, but I can understand what you're saying. Eternal life is something no mortal should want. It's ironic, if you think about it. Eternal life is worse than death. Still, just give us one death, Game Freak.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom