• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New XY trailer + Official Site Updates

So much for that whole 'Best Wishes was a reboot' mentality/paradigm people were pushing, right?

Seriously, just because they re-stated he was still 10 last year doesn't mean they completely threw out any and all old plot points. Cynthia was proof of that when she appeared in Best Wishes, and Serena just continues to prove it.

I don't really see how Serena knowing Ash from their childhood means that they didn't throw out any old plot points. That's most likely going to be something retconned into the series or something completely new. I also don't see why you needed to bring up that mentality of BW when it has absolutely nothing to do with this topic and I asked for discussion of BW to stop.

Okay I'm just gonna put this theory out there.

Because Serena looks a lot like Leaf (their hats!!!!), it may be possible that she's one of the trainers that got either the charmander/bulbasaur at Oak's lab the day Ash left for his journey.

NOW I KNOW THEY SUPPOSEDLY QUIT but there's no rule that says you can't unquit.

Just saying.

You never know.

*slinks away into the mist*
Serena is a new trainer. They said this on Pokemon Smash.

oh...welp...the theory was fun while it lasted.

i mean, i'm still super psyched to hear about what past they had together, or maybe she knows about what happened to ash and gary on that day.

it'd be cool if ash, serena and gary were all playmates together and serena had to fight gary for ash's attention ehhehe

So much for that whole 'Best Wishes was a reboot' mentality/paradigm people were pushing, right?

Seriously, just because they re-stated he was still 10 last year doesn't mean they completely threw out any and all old plot points. Cynthia was proof of that when she appeared in Best Wishes, and Serena just continues to prove it.

I don't really see how Serena knowing Ash from their childhood means that they didn't throw out any old plot points. That's most likely going to be something retconned into the series or something completely new. I also don't see why you needed to bring up that mentality of BW when it has absolutely nothing to do with this topic and I asked for discussion of BW to stop.

I disagree with you, plain and simple. Nothing's been explicitly retconned from older generation seasons. After all, 'retconned' doesn't merely mean 'added,' it means 'something removed with another thing added in its wake.' Many are convinced BW removed content by merely reasserting Ash's age. I think that's bull, really I do. Even if Serena is a new trainer - it's a possible connection to Ash preseason 1. I mean, what if she was just simply a tad too young to get a Pokemon and merely decided to start in Kalos?

And, sorry for bringing it up then, but not everyone reads entire threads before responding to them.

I disagree with you, plain and simple. Nothing's been explicitly retconned from older generation seasons. After all, 'retconned' doesn't merely mean 'added,' it means 'something removed with another thing added in its wake.' Many are convinced BW removed content by merely reasserting Ash's age. I think that's bull, really I do. Even if Serena is a new trainer - it's a possible connection to Ash preseason 1. I mean, what if she was just simply a tad too young to get a Pokemon and merely decided to start in Kalos?

And, sorry for bringing it up then, but not everyone reads entire threads before responding to them.

That's fair enough point regarding the use of retcon, but I still don't know how knowing Ash when they were little means that the writers didn't throw out old plot points. This would be something new, rather than something that they showed before most likely, so I don't see the connection between Serena's history with Ash and old plot points.

My warning was just two pages ago and in bold font because of how often I've had to give in-thread warnings in this section to not bring up BW. Not reading through the entire thread isn't really a valid excuse, especially when BW or fan mentality around it had absolutely nothing to do with this thread's topic and shouldn't have been brought up in the first place. Just please don't try to discuss BW here and save that for the main section where there are more than enough topics on that series.

Honestly, I'm expecting a montage of sorts at one point possibly showing Serena going to watch Ash's Indigo Plateau run, or something else similar to that to give more of a hero vibe than 'oh, I knew him in Pallet Town!' So, they could easily insert her into old situations - not completely remove old plot lines. That's where this whole 'X season retconned this in Y season.'

Think of like when Ritchie returned, but 'she didn't have a Pokemon so the anime obviously didn't focus on her but here she is now!' But, considering the return of unmemorable characters like the reporters... I'd be amused if she was once in the anime, but nameless and with a slightly different design.

I'm thinking Serena could have just started her journey later than Ash did, she could have just not been ready at that time yet.

Wonder if she just moved before Gary came into the picture? Ash looks really young in that scene Guess will find out soon, can't wait.

The trailer looks interesting and makes it seem like something thrilling, when really, it's best not to hope that this will be the overall tone of the XY anime, after all, they've done these kinds of things before, and we all know that trailers always lie about what they show.

The only thing that really bothers me is that Garchomp is in it, probably to advertise the Mega Evolutions, which I feel shouldn't be brought up this early and should be brought in later in the series. Also, it looks like Serena will be getting Fennekin, which I could see from a mile away that she would be getting it, just look at Serena (both game and anime Serena), she looks like the kind of person who would own a a Fennekin and hold it around in her bag like a chihuahua Paris Hilton style (Lumiose Hilton? Yeah that pun is lame).

On the upside, at least Wobuffet is back, which is a good sign that we're going back to the classic Team Rocket, because I wasn't fond of what they did with them in Best Wishes.

Last edited:

Actually BW001 proves that there was no retcon. Several trophies and things that Ash had collected throughout Sinnoh are shown in his bedroom at the start, and there was obviously history between him and Team Rocket. They simply didn't bring anything up for the first season because there was no need.

I gotta ask, is Serena being a childhood friend of Ash's just pure speculation or do we know for a fact she is? Because I don't remember hearing anything about this.

I gotta ask, is Serena being a childhood friend of Ash's just pure speculation or do we know for a fact she is? Because I don't remember hearing anything about this.
The official site states she seems to have met Ash before and we got a flashback in which she remember a young Ash.

So yeah, they definitely did meet before.

Nope, it hasn't been stated yet. We just know that she could have potentially met him earlier in life.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom