• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Please remember to keep spoilers about the new Pokemon games in their respective sections here and here.

News: Surfing-Volt-Tackling-Flying-Pikachu-Coloured-Notched-Ear-Pichu

Shane
Reaction score
Obviously, this is fake, but is this really the direction we're headed? Why is Pichu suddenly the mascot of Pokémon? Is Nintendo trying to lean toward an even "cuter" mascot? And did they not learn when they tried the same thing with Pichu and Togepi back in Generation II?

And more generally, what are your opinions on Nintendo focusing too much on certain Pokémon every generation?

Bulbapædist
Reaction score
And more generally, what are your opinions on Nintendo focusing too much on certain Pokémon every generation?
Wouldn't mind it if they did it with Pokemon who aren't stale Pikachu ripoffs. Even Munchlax was more tolerable than this.

Shane
Reaction score
Agreed, Zeta. If they do overfocus a Pokémon, it should be something new. Not a baby Pikachu.

black sheep
Reaction score
I don't know, I think Pichu's cute and I'm enjoying it. I can't wait to get my own NEP.

They can't very well use Pikachu for this because it wasn't introduced in generation II. In fact, the reason Pichu is The Chosen One is probably because of Pikachu's insane popularity.

It's just an advertising ploy.

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score
I personally would like to know what the big deal about this little guy is. Do you just get another freaky pichu with odd abilites? Seems so. Unless there's more to NEP, I don't care about him.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Just like how the original Pichu was the posterboy mascot for the G/S/C generation.

I don't care lol.

Shane
Reaction score
I think Pichu is adorable, I just don't like the overmarketing...

Reaction score
We might be tired of NEP, but you know who's really pissed about it?

Celebi.

SHE (happy Sketch?) done stole Celebi's forest and spotlight.

I don't like pumpkins..
Reaction score
Pichu was the mascot of the second generation,right? They're making it the mascot of these games to stay true to the original.

Though,I'm sort of bored of hearing about NEP and her shiny friend..

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score
Pichu was the mascot of the second generation,right? They're making it the mascot of these games to stay true to the original.

Though,I'm sort of bored of hearing about NEP and her shiny friend..
If it was the official mascot, then it failed. I saw Lugia as more of a mascot than Pichu, which oddly enough, I never owned.

Reaction score
Even though I'm getting sick of the NEP whoring, it's just a marketing ploy since children love cute pokemon.

There always will be a "cute" pokemon of the generation that will end up being the mascot. Nothing new, nothing special. Sides', it's totally optional if you don't want the whole NEP event in your game. Simple, just don't trade PCP over.

BTW, they can still have Celebi's event at Illex Forest, after all, they have 4 events at the Spear Pillar, why can't the same apply here?

Reaction score
I am guessing since Pikachu is the mascot of pokemon and pichu being the gen II version of that, combined with (I can't remember who) either Ken sugimori (sp) or Junichi musada saying they liked pichu and took time creating it because it looked cute and this crossed with Japans love of cute things, ended up with the PCP/NEP all of a sudden being big.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Notchie's only big because HGSS is on its way.

Once we have HGSS in September, Notchie will fade to obscurity like every other event thing.

And then comes the Gen V Pikachu ripoff. Please no. MORE FIRE POKÉMON.

black sheep
Reaction score
Does it matter, though? Should we be surprised? I mean, no new pokemon are being introduced since these are remakes. We have Notched Ear Pichu, who is an old pokemon with a strange and different new characteristic.

They have to promote SOMEthing.

Also, there is a ton of info that we don't even know about the games yet. Pichu won't seem so important as more stuff comes to light.

Where the Shadows lie
Reaction score
Pichu is okay IMO. I wish that they would use Eevee as the mascot though, I love that thing, and all of it's eeveelutions. I just hope that they use NEP as an opportuinty to improve on Pichu as a pokemon. Of course, it's most likely a marketing ploy to say that there are new pokemon formes in HGSS.