• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Next dub opening?

Normally, I would wait until the latest movie to give my thoughts on the dubs opening themes since they are usually presented in full if they are used but here are my initial thoughts.

At the time when we didn't know whether or not we would have a new theme for Season 18, my expectations were set pretty low considering past theme songs post the 4Kids era. Today's efforts by the dub are as generic as you can get, though I can hardly blame them because the song writers (in this case Ed Goldfarb) are not really able to use their imaginations and stretch out their creative minds because thanks to Cartoon Network, openings are tied down by an invisible piece of string to a 30 Second time limit or less for the sake of more advertising revenue.

Despite how generic this song sounds, "Be A Hero" is good, certainly better than "It's Always You and Me" which to go back on that theme in particular, it started good but then it let itself down with the dreaded lyrics "Oh oh, we belong together" and the extended version for Movie 16 just drove the whole issue of John Leoffler and David Wolfert's desire to only write about nothing but "friendship" and "togetherness" home. It's likely that they couldn't be bothered to think of anything better because they knew that they were restricted by time.

Whilst we are on the subject of "generic", I couldn't help but link this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovcUgFxV_GQ

It is actually quite disheartening because theme songs don't get to show their true potential until the movies, provided that they have a chance of being used in the movie and unfortunately, the themes for Seasons 6, 7, 10 and 13 did not get extended versions and although the "DP Rap" was not universally liked, it could have easily been the theme for Movie 10 had the producers decided to reserve "We Will Be Heroes" for Season 11.

I guess that the themes that were not used as movie openers could have worked just as well in the end credits of the movie but I digress. It also sounds like Ben Dixon and The Sad Truth who provided the vocals for Pokémon Theme XY have been brought back for this song which is good. I predict that they will be a staple set of vocals like what David Rolfe was for 4Kids and what Crush 40 is to Sonic the Hedgehog.

As others have pointed out, the visuals are very much redundant and out dated given upcoming events without going into spoiler territory. Now I really wish that they updated the opening visuals for each major arc like they did with Season 16 and I now predict that they will use footage from the latest Japanese opening "Getter Ban Ban" for Season 19 where future events may once again be redundant.

This I find is a huge step backwards in terms of presentation because for the most part, openings have been relevant enough to bring the dub in line with its Japanese counterpart. Despite the questionable presentation for the opening, the lyrics are good and Ed has at least given me a bit of hope that future theme songs will now be more about Ash rather than just being friends which is one of the major themes and messages of Pokémon but we don't want to be brainwashed by it.

On a side note, the end credits now list Akhil Gopal as "Music Editor and Additional Score" so now we know who is responsible for inserting the dub music in each episode OR getting rid of the Shinji Myazaki's score if you look at it that way but this is a different topic in itself for another discussion.

Last edited:
Forgot to comment on the new intro...I liked it. I only wish they would have used more scenes from the newest Japanese opening, but aside from that I though it was fine.

It's definitely better than a good number of TPCi's openings, not their best but it's one of the better ones.

How come the old seasons don't apply to the 30 second limit?

How come the old seasons don't apply to the 30 second limit?

Pokemon used to air on Kids WB in the US which I don't think implied such a time limit for opening sequences but by the time Season 8 had finished and 4Kids lost their license to Pokemon, WB dropped Pokemon from their line up so Cartoon Network made a bid for broadcast rights (which they ultimately got) and to make space for more adverts so they can get more ad revenue, they imposed the 30 Second Limit on opening sequences. This is probably why other shows that air on CN these days either have their openings cut down to size or at worst none altogether.

Since Pokemon started on CN, the only opening to last longer than 30 Seconds was "We Will Carry On" in Season 13 and even then, it was only a mere 35 seconds long due to the slow paced nature.

This theme is bland and stupid. I'm also getting tired of the autotuned raspy voiced men with guitars. Please, just bring back the energy and substance that was Pokemon Johto, I Want To Be A Hero and Battle Frontier.

I kind of like the new theme opening. The lyrics are a bit generic to say the least, but I think the emotion in the signer's voice helps it out a bit there. They could have done a better job with the images they used for the opening and having a small time window for the opening doesn't really help them with the overall quality of the song. Still, I think I liked it more than the BW dubbed openings. It wasn't one of TPCI's best openings, but it wasn't one of the worst ones either. It was a solid decent opening and I can take that over their worst openings.

Ehhhhhhhhh? It's alright I liked the beginning of the song and lyrics however when he starts singing "Be a Hero" I stopped liking it.

It's overall way too generic plus why didn't they use the new Japanese opening Getter Ban Ban. It don't look like it took long to edit and make the opening.

Another bad opening theme to me. Ever since the 10th opening, none of openings have been that great. Opening 17 is the only good one because its a another version of the original opening. I think another version of I Wanna Be A Hero would have been much better.

On a side note, the end credits now list Akhil Gopal as "Music Editor and Additional Score" so now we know who is responsible for inserting the dub music in each episode OR getting rid of the Shinji Myazaki's score if you look at it that way but this is a different topic in itself for another discussion.
I don't understand credits nor music composition terminology, but due to the way the credits are placed, it seems to me like Akhil Gopal was involved on the song rather than the dub background music, since he is credited as "Additional Score" right below Ed Goldfarb, who is credited as "Score".

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom