• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Next generation

What do want to happen?

• Total voters
By next gen I still think there will be a new sidequest to replace contests.

Stop repeating this like a robot unless you give me a good idea for a plot as girly as Contests

They've pretty much used up all their contest ideas between May and Dawn.

3 sagas of Contests
How many Gym/BF sagas we had? 6
If Contests are "getting old" then Gyms are at a much worse case
Not to mention Contests have much more variation than the Gyms...

Nobody is going to care about a third female doing the same thing, as people already weren't too thrilled about Dawn doing contests to start off with.

Most of the target audience don't really care much for that stuff
And there's still the possibility of Dawn staying - like it or not, it's possible and will keep being possible until gen 5 begins and we find out for sure what really happen

Why would May have more right to come back than Misty? Just wondering.

She doesnt.Its a matter of personal preference who has more "right" to return to cast.

In my opinion considering how Misty never received closure with her story being unfinished,with lot of potential being unused deserves being part of this show again(more than others).To others thats May,Tracey etc.

Stop repeating this like a robot unless you give me a good idea for a plot as girly as Contests

In my honest opinion,plot can be less girly than contests still being workable.Like you said small children wont care,and older fans would welcome change.

I have a feeling that Dawn will be replaced for the next generation. Considering that the writers have used the new female characters to promote the recent generation of games, with the exception of Kris since it was too late to put her in the main group, I can't really see her still being around when they get to a fifth generation. It's obviously not written in stone, but that's how I feel about the situation. I honestly want her to leave since while she has a decent personality, both her rivals and her Pokemon lineup feel weak to me, which has really made most of the Contests in Sinnoh so lackluster compared to the Contests in AG.

Even though HG and SS have those Pokethlons instead of Contests, I don't think that it will replaced Contests. The events in the Pokethlons look more like mini games than an actual competition that could be used as a new sidequest. Plus, they've spent years hyping up Contests, so I can't see them being replaced right now. As I mentioned with Dawn, it isn't certain and Contests are more likely to be replaced than Gyms, but I can't see that happening at the moment.

I'm also expecting a third Coordinator to travel with Ash and Brock. I honestly wouldn't mind a third Coordinator, as long as I eventually like her more than Dawn. I wouldn't mind a fourth person added in the group since I liked how they had that back in AG. Still, I see things going the same with Ash and what kind of Pokemon he captures, such as the token bird, at least the Grass starter and a cool Water type.

I have a feeling that Dawn will be replaced for the next generation. Considering that the writers have used the new female characters to promote the recent generation of games, with the exception of Kris since it was too late to put her in the main group, I can't really see her still being around when they get to a fifth generation. It's obviously not written in stone, but that's how I feel about the situation. I honestly want her to leave since while she has a decent personality, both her rivals and her Pokemon lineup feel weak to me, which has really made most of the Contests in Sinnoh so lackluster compared to the Contests in AG.

Even though HG and SS have those Pokethlons instead of Contests, I don't think that it will replaced Contests. The events in the Pokethlons look more like mini games than an actual competition that could be used as a new sidequest. Plus, they've spent years hyping up Contests, so I can't see them being replaced right now. As I mentioned with Dawn, it isn't certain and Contests are more likely to be replaced than Gyms, but I can't see that happening at the moment.

I'm also expecting a third Coordinator to travel with Ash and Brock. I honestly wouldn't mind a third Coordinator, as long as I eventually like her more than Dawn. I wouldn't mind a fourth person added in the group since I liked how they had that back in AG. Still, I see things going the same with Ash and what kind of Pokemon he captures, such as the token bird, at least the Grass starter and a cool Water type.

Very true. The future co-ordinators still have a lot to do in order to make Pokemon Contests become redundant. Like what I mentioned before, more clothing variety. Or maybe use more game features (dress-up stage, dance stage, etc.)

Any ideas for possible scenarios?

I would like to see an actual climactic big fight with Team Rocket (the real team rocket not just the usual three), they just kinda faded away.

I would like a season that is reminecent of what i hear the manga does. There should be a traveling challenge where old and new characters face great odds to fight an ultimate antagonist. If team rocket was to be this big enemy, the trio (Jessie, James and Meowth) would help team rocket with most things but their hearts will eventually get them to fight against the evil team rocket in the final showdown. Possibly to keep them as funny team rocket trio for further seasons, Giovanni could have been overthrown by some bigger sinister antagonist and therefore James and Co. wouldn't have much of a problem turning on the new team rocket and can go back to being loyal lackeys in no time.

Either way they need to bring back more old characters, use some old pokemon and tie in a bigger story than say just gyms with a FEW bad-guy episodes

I'm re-posting this because i would really like other peoples opinions on it. If the writers were brave enough this would really spice things up, maybe even make people read the comics (i don't, i just know some stuff). Maybe even some of the more less-friendly gym leaders can be part of team rocket and ash has rebattles with them to knock them back to thier senses, but i'm not stuck on that idea....

Oh and this would be a great way to re-introduce mewtwo

Dawn should take a hike (and preferably get hit by a truck and killed off), and Misty should return.

Can't people express their opinion in a polite way? stop with that stupid character bashing thing
It's so ridiculous this forum ban VA discussions but don't ban character bashing

The ironic thing of it all is its been confirmed that Misty will never travel on the group again. On top of that, even her guest/cameo appearances seem to have stopped. Its been somewhere around 250 eps since she even appeared in an episode.

Why people still bring up Misty, I'll never know. Even though I like Misty, I will not delude myself into thinking she'll appear anytime soon.

The ironic thing of it all is its been confirmed that Misty will never travel on the group again. On top of that, even her guest/cameo appearances seem to have stopped. Its been somewhere around 250 eps since she even appeared in an episode.

Why people still bring up Misty, I'll never know. Even though I like Misty, I will not delude myself into thinking she'll appear anytime soon.

Misty's cameos haven't stopped just because there no flashback of her in the evil togepi epi.

It's interestong your not rubbing pearlshipping in are faces now.

Misty's cameos haven't stopped just because there no flashback of her in the evil togepi epi.

He means that during AG Misty appeared for the Togepi eps and then in the return to Pallet eps
While now it's almost the end of Sinnoh and since BF began until now - it's been more than 200 eps that Misty didn't get a proper appearance (only mentioned or seen as a lure or in flashbacks)

Last edited:
Misty's last episode appearance was AG134, that episode aired back in 2005.

On top of not getting an episode in DP so far, she didn't appear in any of those Battle Frontier episodes after the post-Hoenn Pallet eps, not even in the last episode.

Outside of the openings, we haven't seen Misty in a long time.

I would like to see an actual climactic big fight with Team Rocket (the real team rocket not just the usual three), they just kinda faded away.

I would like a season that is reminecent of what i hear the manga does. There should be a traveling challenge where old and new characters face great odds to fight an ultimate antagonist. If team rocket was to be this big enemy, the trio (Jessie, James and Meowth) would help team rocket with most things but their hearts will eventually get them to fight against the evil team rocket in the final showdown. Possibly to keep them as funny team rocket trio for further seasons, Giovanni could have been overthrown by some bigger sinister antagonist and therefore James and Co. wouldn't have much of a problem turning on the new team rocket and can go back to being loyal lackeys in no time.

Either way they need to bring back more old characters, use some old pokemon and tie in a bigger story than say just gyms with a FEW bad-guy episodes

I know you reposted this so you could get a response so I'm responding now. I completely agree! That would be awesome! I miss the days when TR were the only villains. I don't mind the others but still...
They should have a huge battle!

I would like Misty to return and Brock to be replaced. Probably not going to happen, though.

In the next generation of Pokemon what do think will change and what do you want to change?

I personally would love it if Dawn left to go travel in Hoenn or Kanto or something and Ash and Brock continue traveling in some other region with some new girl.

That's exactly what I don't want to happen, even though that's probably most likely to happen.

Okay, here we go... my first official time saying this here...

I think Dawn should stay so we can have a permanent main girl character in the show. I'm not saying this for a women's rights thing, exactly, I'm just saying that I think that now that in the games you can play as either a boy or a girl that the girl in the show should have much importance to the show. I was thinking and hoping this would occur with May, but we all know how that turned out. It didn't happen. While a long time ago I was hoping Dawn would be replaced as well, I've changed my mind.

-If the writers can keep Ash's battling journey for 600+ episodes, why can't they keep having a constant coordinator as well? If the novelty of contests has gotten old, then what does that say about gym battles?

-If the current contest arc isn't going well for this region to you, who's to say it won't improve next region?

-Some people think that Dawn can't advertise the 5th generation because she's a 4th generation character, even though she'd be in the 5th gen land getting 5th gen regions and 5th gen Pokemon having 5th gen adventures.

-Replacing the main girl for eye candy reasons doesn't make sense to me either because what's stopping them from having the cast be Ash, Brock, Dawn, and the 5th generation girl who does something that the 5th gen introduces? There'd be two girls in the cast, which be twice the eye candy. I'm not trying to encourage all that eye candy stuff in the show, I'm simply wondering why the writers haven't considered that.

-And I think Dawn and Piplup (who many people here hate, just like how many people hate Pikachu, and how many people don't hate Piplup) have been in the show long enough to not feel out of place when traveling to another region. Although... it would be kinda weird promoting one starter more than the others, but the writers have already given one out of three starters special treatment by evolving Charmander all the way and leaving the others at their basic forms. Not exactly the same concept, but...

Yeah. My ideal cast would either be Ash, Dawn, Brock, and Fifthgengirl, or a cast similar to it except that Brock is replaced- by someone interesting. (And if the person doesn't contribute anymore to the show than Brock does, than I'd want Brock to stay.)

Okay, seriously, my future posts won't necessarily be as long as this.

I want Dawn OR Brock to leave, and be replaced by a completely original character, not just an expy like Dawn was of May before she was better characterized. I do not want any old character to come back outside of an occasional episode.

Really, I don't care that much, as long as they do it right. Even if they keep the same characters or replace Dawn with another similar coordinator, as long as they make things interesting, I don't mind.

I love Dawn just like I love May but either way, I think they going to make Dawn leave like they did May and Misty. Anyway, it would be pretty nice if the next person Ash travelled with is Leaf since she is Red's counterpart and seem rather tough too so I think there would be some interesting interactions. For Brock, I love seeing him around too so it's hard whether I want him to leave or to stay. Seeing how he stayed for so long, he might actually stay for the next generation as well. Who knows, we might even end up having a four-person group like back in AG.

Anyway, no matter what May and Misty will never return. Same thing for Dawn once she leaves.

Anyway, it would be pretty nice if the next person Ash travelled with is Leaf since she is Red's counterpart and seem rather tough too so I think there would be some interesting interactions.QUOTE]

I agree, I would love it if Leaf was the next female character. There might even be some olrivalshipping (I hope so).

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom