• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nice Question: Why Pokemons understand their Players Orders?

Of course, in the original anime, all pokemon respond to encouraging words as if understanding on some basic level, and Pikachu seems to communicate with Ash plenty fine.

Also, in the Kalos anime, remember how Ash was able to suggest Hawlucha to do his Flying press a certain way without any (at least shown) training?

Last edited:
My theory is they can understand human language, or at least learn it very quickly.
They just don't learn how to speak it because it's considered taboo (as seen by how Meowth is looked down on by his own species when he learns how to talk).

As always, I only factor the games into what I say because theirs is the only canon I pay attention to.

I'd just assume there's some off-screen training sessions where the player spends some time getting them accustomed to the right commands. Maybe new Trainers are issued an official handbook which lists known species and their learnsets, assigning to their techniques agreed-upon commands that humans have designated for them ("Tackle," "Whirlwind," etc.). In the games - BW off the top of my head - it's stated by an NPC that training six Pokémon is especially difficult, so most Trainers just focus on raising three at a time. I think that in-universe, training Pokémon is a much more arduous process than what the mechanics of the games reflect.

It's like how dogs understand commands after some training. Four names/sounds aren't hard to remember for any animal/creature with some intelligence.

Because of the bond Pokémon and Trainers share through their hearts, as has been mention numerous times in the anime and games. This is why Trainers such as N can talk with Pokémon through their thoughts and why some can command their Pokémon without using words. Pokémon and Trainers can also clearly sense each other's emotions, weaknesses and strentghs through this bond.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom