• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nicknames: Cool, Interesting, Bizarre, or otherwise Noteworthy!

chaos_Leader

Reaction score
If you're anything like me in the Pokémon games, chances are you've given one or more of your mons a nickname. Maybe there are some nicknames that you really liked, or that you've grown fond of using over time. me for instance, I've listed a few here that I like using:

"Wizbang" for Delphox
"Stinkeye" for Sableye
"Misfit" for Umbreon

What interesting nickname have you guys given your mons? Or have you seen other peoples' nicknames that you really liked?

i have a weird one and i really cool one

Eray the Jolteon - one time i was using some sort of website i could play old pokemon games on so i was playing gold and i learned i could get an eevee in goldrenrod. so while playing gold i logged into my crystal game and went to goldenrod. in my gold game i got a female eevee and was planning on naming her Eray while i got a male in Crystal (where i wasn't doing any naming). well since they were only in seperate tabs i got them mixed up and named my eevee from Crystal Eray. i thought it was hilarious later when i realized my mistake and decided to keep his name that way

Darwin the Ditto - so Charles Darwin said that animals evolve and adapt to keep themselves from going extinct. well Ditto is a pokemon who can change its form to fit in, it can adapt to survive. thats why i always name my ditto Darwin

Riser the Golurk: Originally, this was the name of a character in a story I was writing. The character happened to be a robot and its model was known as an Iron Fist. Since Golurk looks a bit robotic and one of its Abilities is Iron Fist, I decided to name mine that. However, that name became one that was earned, as my Golurk rose to the occasion more than once and got me wins that I needed. It's less a name and more a title now; that Golurk is my riser, standing tall when I need him the most.

Shurikroak the Greninja: The name is a combination of "shuriken" and "croak", which seems to fit a ninja frog.

VectorPrym the Palkia: Named after a Transformers character, namely one of the Original Thirteen and Primus' appointed guardian of space and time. It seemed to fit a creature that can bend space to its will.

Bumblebee the shiny Electivire: Maybe it was the golden color. Maybe it was the blue eyes. Maybe it's the fact that you hit it with an Electric attack, it becomes faster, a bit like a sports car. But the very second I saw a shiny Electivire, I immediately thought of Bumblebee from the 2007 Transformers movie. When I caught a shiny male Elekid, I knew that this was what I had to name him. It might be a weird name, but in this case it works perfectly.

I always name my Pokemon. Each one I catch has a unique name - even after release or trade, no name is used twice. I try to avoid duplicate names across games. This leads to some weird stuff - I tend naming them after what I'd classify them as or their closest kaiju analogue. Examples:
  • Avimimidae the Blaziken
  • ChukNorris the Throh and Bruce Lee the Sawk
  • Gamera the Carracosta (and Not Gamera the Blastoise)
  • Ghidorah the Hydreigon
  • GipsyDangr the Golurk
  • Johnlennon the Walrein (goo goo g'joob)
  • Megalon the Heracross
  • Mothra the Butterfree
  • Noasaurid the Marowak
  • Ornithopod the Ampharos
  • PlsKillMe the Weezing, OhGodWhy the Lickilicky, and WhatTheEff the Garbodor
  • Rattleback the Sandslash (a reference to The Future is Wild)
  • Smeagol the Smeargle
  • Stoner the Geodude
  • Whulk the Wailord (a reference to The New Dinosaurs)

Here are some of the more creative names I came up with for my Pokémon:

Optimus the Golurk
Riptide the Samurott
Logan the Zangoose
Viragor the Pidgeot
Titania/Oberon the Clefairy (Titania for females, Oberon for males)
Mothra/Leo the Volcarona (Mothra for females, Leo for males)
Spookable the Gengar
Firearm the Magmortar
Backfire the Typhlosion
Gourmet the Snorlax
Digital the Porygon2
Borealis the Suicune
Monica the Gardevoir (I haven't actually used this one yet, but I will the next time I raise a Gardevoir)
Echo Echo the Exploud
Gemini the Sableye
Destoroyah the Garchomp
Plasmoid the Rotom
Aztec the Sigilyph
Fiendfyre the Chandelure
Rakurai the Zekrom
Grimlock the Tyrantrum
Tenebris the Yveltal

One of the times I cringe is looking back at my Ludicolo and Shiftry. I caught the Lotad and named it "Seedy" (even though he's not the one that's a seed.....), and then when I later got a Seedot I named it "Ydees" because it was Seedy backwards

Also, Headhedhed the Girafarig. Because he has two heads that are obvious, and... you know, another head.

I've named most of my pokemon in x and y, although I don't really name things I catch now, unless it is shiny.
Chesty the Chestnaught (was going to be Chester until I saw that it was a girl)
Honorable mention to Wormy the Butterfree who was traded to Shauna, there is also Wormy Jr.
Birdy to Pidegotto (not bird J)
Pu the Furfuro
Sleepers the Snorlax
Moon the Luniton
T Hex the Tyrunt
Larry the Halucha
Hournerable mention to Pan The Treaverent, my friends that helped me a little in the game
Fighter the Lucario
Sporty the Blastiose
Dug the Dugtrio
Avilugg the Avilugg
Yvern the Yveltal
Post story.....
Zane The Zygarde
Hournerable mention Artiwind the Articuno who was traded
PurpleNurple the Shiny Swampert
KelpyG the Dragalgly
Ugly the Beutifly
Beautiful the Shiny Beutifly
ラティオス the Very Pre PokeBank Latios
DNA the Shiny Dusion
Pupa the Shiny Pupatar
Gargosa the Goodra
Froabble the Frogadier
AzuBunny the Azumarill
Chan the Chadelure
That all of the Main Kalos nicknamed Pokes, but there is more.

My favorites that I've chosen as of late are:

"Andromeda" for Ampharos
"Pazuzu" for Gyarados
"Sassy" for Espeon
"Kite" for Fearow
"Estranja" for Gardevoir
"Alyssa" for Swablu
"Needles" for Shuppet

Deino called Emosaur. D'aww.

Scrafty called Vendetta. Revenge killer.

Reuniclus called Dr. Fetus. Stole this off someone.

Porygon-Z called Trojan.EXE. Says it all.

Scolipede called Pegasus. Someone suggested it and it was cool.

Swinub called Nubble. LOL

Cofagrigus called The Truth.

tbh I just really love seeing "The Truth used Curse!"

Headaeh the Girafarig

There have been many, but this is one I remember because it goes with Girafarig's theme.

Here's a few from me

Francisca: Female Haxorus
Caladbolg: Aegislash
Mr.Pringles: Male Jellicent
Smaug: Charizard
Strider: Greninja
C.J/50 Cent: Scrafty
Clowncrete: Conkeldurr
Sally: Female Salamence
Viral: Male Garchomp
Nanoha: Female Sylveon
Fate: Female Jolteon. Tried to breed her with Nanoha, didn't work :( .
Arthos, Porthos, Aramis and D'Artagnan: Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion and Keldeo respectively.

[*]GipsyDangr the Golurk
Okay, now we definitely need a Mega evo for Golurk and it needs to look like a Jaeger, just because.
Optimus the Golurk
Logan the Zangoose
Grimlock the Tyrantrum
Please tell me your Golurk knows Rollout. Because he needs to know that move. And I dig the names for your Zangoose and Tyrantrum. Those are awesome.

Kremzeek the Rotom: Named for a character in the original Transformers cartoon, one who could slip into electronics and play havoc with them. Since Rotom can slip into electronics and take them over, it seemed to fit perfectly.

One nickname that's memorable to me is "Infero", which is the name I gave my Infernape. I meant to call him "Inferno", but messed up. I ended up loving the name though.

Another favorite is my Watchog in Black whom I named "Cray" because his eyes make him look crazy. :p

Okay, now we definitely need a Mega evo for Golurk and it needs to look like a Jaeger, just because.
Optimus the Golurk
Logan the Zangoose
Grimlock the Tyrantrum
Please tell me your Golurk knows Rollout. Because he needs to know that move. And I dig the names for your Zangoose and Tyrantrum. Those are awesome.

Kremzeek the Rotom: Named for a character in the original Transformers cartoon, one who could slip into electronics and play havoc with them. Since Rotom can slip into electronics and take them over, it seemed to fit perfectly.

Dang it, that never even occurred to me. I've always made sure my Golruk know mostly punching moves because I make sure to only use ones with the Iron Fist ability. I should try raising an entire team based around a Transformers theme.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom