• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO Nicknames

Zexy

Quaxly Boy
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
Nicknames have always been a part of several Pokemon games, and GO is no exception. They are an easy way to tell your Pokemon apart, particularly when they are of the same species. They can be used to give your favourites a name that has some sort of meaning to you. They are also used by players as a way to quickly note what IVs or other statistics (in GO's case the moveset as well) a Pokemon has.

So I was wondering, do you nickname your Pokemon in GO, and if so, how do you pick nicknames for them? Just names you like for your particular favourites, a way to tell what stats a Pokemon has, or something else?

I tend to nickname Pokemon based on IVs/moveset. W if it's Wonder (best kind of Appraisal), or the stats it has max IVs in, or maybe the entire IV build in some species I care for too much. I sometimes also include their moves' types in the nickname.

Forgot to mention that I did use nicknames to guarantee I'd get all 5 Eeveelutions of course.
I still have them named Rainer, Sparky, Pyro, Sakura and Tamao mostly because I just have no reason to change it back, none of them is a Wonder :(

Usually add what ever percentage they are after their names(i.e. Vaporeon97).

Did see on FB someone nicknamed their Tyranitar Reptar, and it made me want to nickname mine DillPickles. Haven't done it yet tho.

I am using higher CP waste Pokémon to defend gyms. I named them to remember what I'm using them for.

I'm now using a different nickname pattern for Pokemon whose IVs I want to keep track of.

123 45ABCDEF

123 are the last digits of the three IVs; if something has 0-5 IVs it's pretty bad anyway, so I know that 0-5 actually stand for 10-15.
45 is the percentage
ABCDEF is text that shows the types of its moves

I only fully convert to this format upon getting home when I can use IV calcs leisurely; while on the session I might use 5XX if I see a "blown away by its stats" on a stat (in this example Attack), else if it's just wonder or strong I temporarily still call it W or S

Normally I tend not to nickname my Pokémon. But i do nickname raid Pokémon I catch "Raid <Pokémon name>". Also, I tend to nickname Pokémon that are part of a three stage line (and have good stats) "<Pokémon name>+".

I've shortened most high CP Pokemon to 123 45A (based on the system explained above), as just one character is enough to figure out the type in most cases; for example, D is enough for Dragonite to be sure it has full Dragon moveset, no way I'd confuse it with Dark for this particular species.

This is so I can have enough space to add four-digit numbers to some nicknames, that stand for particular CP equivalent thresholds I'd like to be aware of at all times, so I can decide on attackers:

For example, for 3003 CP Dragonite: 3003/1.4=2145, so I've added 2145 to its nickname; this shows that Dragonite, when used as an attacker VS anything Dragon damages 1x, it is as good as a 2145 CP attacker that would be super-effective (the effectiveness bonus is 1.4 hence that division). For an example of immediate use, against Suicune, Dragonite does indeed deal normal damage and has a resistance to Water; this means it is no different than any 2145 CP Grass type, which puts it just below the Exeggutor but certainly before the lower CP Sunflora or worse the Magneton which don't even resist Water.

This system could prove itself useful beyond Suicune Raids, so I've calculated similar equivalents for all my Top 10 Pokemon.

Another nickname trick I've started using; the names of all the Pokemon I use a lot as defenders (Snorlax, Chansey and a few others I might end up using if I ever need more slots like Shuckle, Ditto, Miltank, Steelix, Slowbro/king etc.) start with "Defe". This lets me start typing Defender and see them all when I want to decide which one to put, as they're all over the place and hard to sort by any category so search is the best option; I can either stop at Defe or use the SwiftKey autocorrect on my phone to get the full Defender typed, in which case I only see the defenders inside the Gyms and can click on them to "Go to Gym".

I'm not using D or De because they don't trigger the autocorrect, and not using Def because I sometimes use that as a first-moment nickname for Wonder Pokemon I get whose Defense IV is 15 (so I won't have to re-do the Appraisal when I get home and put it on an online calculator).

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom