• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Nicknaming your new pokemon

I think I'll name Scorbunny Sonic if that's the one I choose, Sobble will be known as Dribly, and Grookey shall be known as Resonance.

lol I was just about to post a thread about this topic, so I'm glad I saw this!
I'm going to be going with a Musical Genre theme for my Shield team, I've got every member's name set except for one, and I'm iffy about the other.
A visual for my team:
Rillaboom - Reggeaton
Thievul - Rhythm (as in Rythm & Blues or R&B)
Toxtricity - Punk
G-Rapidash - Bubblegum (as in Bubblegum Pop)

For Perserker, I'm thinking of either "Viking" (as in Viking Metal) or just "Metal." The former fits more, but I feel it could be misconstrued a bit too quickly, and the later feels too on the nose.
I also have no idea what to call Frosmoth. At first, I thought an EDM subgenre could work, but EDM, in general, seems too off from the design (like it would fit Toxtricity more), so I'm stuck.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I'm going to nickname my planned core team of Galvantula, Frosmoth and Centiskorch after Bravely Default summons; respectively they're Deus, Ziusudra and Prometheus. It'll blend with my shiny Golisopod named Susano-o, too.

Grookey: Cadence (female; it means "rhythm" and Grookey is a little drummer)
Scorbunny: Skvader (a mythological type of rabbit) or Fiver (from Watership Down)
Corviknight: Phoebus (male; an epithet for the Greek god Apollo. I like the irony of naming a black Pokemon something that means "light") or Yennefer (female)
Wooloo: Jacob (like Jacob's sheep)
Yamper: Monty (one of the Queen's corgis is named Monty)
Alcremie: Perenelle (the name of Nicolas Flamel's wife and an alchemist in her own right. I thought it would be interesting to name this Pokemon after something alchemy related instead of food related)
Galarian Ponyta: Amalthea (from The Last Unicorn. I see a lot of people are doing this but I don't care)
Polteageist: Chai (male) or Camomile (female; British spelling) -- both types of tea
Morpeko: Ira (a unisex name; Ira was the Roman goddess of wrath as well, fitting for a Pokemon that turns "hangry")

Orbeetle: Flea (like P.T. Flea from A Bug's Life, idk why he reminds me of him)
Flapple & Appletun: Devon and Cornwall (from A Quest for Camelot)
Galarian Meowth & Perrserker: Stig (idk it's kind of a stereotypical Scandinavian name and I think it's funny a hell)
Mr. Rime: Charlie or Tramp (he wears a bowler hat like Charlie Chaplin and Chaplin has a famous character called "Tramp" that looks exactly like Mr. Rime, in fact I'm pretty sure that's what his inspiration is)
Zacian, Zamazenta, & Eternatus: Verdandi, Urd, and Skuld (also known as the Norns, a trio of goddesses in Norse Mythology that control destiny)
Hatterene: Melusine (a mythological figure in European folklore that's like a mermaid and Hatterene reminds me of a mermaid)
Sandaconda: Tanith (she was a Phoenician serpent goddess)
Galarian Darmanitan: Moroz (from Ded Moroz, Father Winter in Russia)

This is not all of them but as you can see I really like mythological names for the most part.

Last edited:
Since I've updated my team, swapping out Sobble for Drednaw, I think I should come up with a not-terrible name for the Bite Pokemon. Currently going with Sediment, though Gravel seems like a fitting name too.

My full Team with names (Corviknight is in there and I know it has been revealed, but my OCD made me put all the Pokemon in spoilers because everything else hasn't been revealed)

Inteleon - Marion (M or F, meaning "sea of sorrow")
Thievul - Duncan (M, dark warrior) or Kiera (F, little dark one)
Boltund - Harbin (M, little bright warrior) or Alina (light)
Flapple - Cyder (M or F, sweet name)
Corviknight - Geromin (M, a randomly generated knight name) or Elewys (F, randomly generated knight name)
Hatterene - Mystia (F, randomly generated witch name)

Other options in case I decide to Switch out 2 Members:
Runerigus - Gripsholm or Holm (M or F, named after the rune that the Pokemon is supposedly based off of)
Indeedee - Lenus (M, Celtic God of Healing) or Leigh (Celtic meaning healing)

My Thievul and Boltund are going to be my "pair" Pokemon of this gen. When new games come out I like to pick two Pokemon that I put in a pair, and will try to do a lot of double battles with them. I didn't really do this in Gen 7, but I want to get back to it. So their name theme is around darkness and light.

EDIT: Realized I needed some Pokemon with more defense on my team, so I initially replaced 2 members, but then realized how many types Corviknight was resistant to and switched it back in.

Last edited:
I've got two schemes I'm thinking of trying, both tying into the British theme:

A) I'm thinking of going all Arthurian names (Arthur would be my starter, obviously, and the rest of my team would be Lancelot, Guinevere, Merlin, Morgana, Elaine, etc), since this gen seems to have a lot of British lore themes, or

B) Since I know I'm going to name my PC Rita (I was thinking in honor of Rita Repulsa as she can make her (pocket) monsters grow, but there's also the song "Lovely Rita"), I would go with an all Beatles song theme (Jude, Lucy, Penny, Prudence, Maxwell, Michelle, Eleanor, Sadie, Rocky).

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom