• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Nicknaming your new pokemon

I did breed all pokemon which I needed to build my Rain Team. So, here's my troop:

1 - Skywater, the Pelipper. I tried to make a joke with Luke Skywalker from Stars Wars. Every single Rain Team must has a Pelliper, and Skywater is the choosen one.
2 - Mera, the Goodra. Aquaman was the best DC movie that I watched, so the xebelian princess has her name on my Goodra.
3 - Sandlord, the Excadrill. Starlord is the leader of Guardians of Galaxy, and my Excadrll... well, he is not the leader of my team XD. Anyway, he covers Mera's weakenesses, and he is my spinner.
4 - Atlanna, the great Barraskewda. I was going to nickname it "Arthur" due to Aquaman, but my arrakouda is a female one, so I chose Aquaman's mother as source.
5 - Mariacha, the Ludicolo. Mudioclo has a mexican hat, and as my Ludicolo is a female one, I chose "Mariacha" for her name.
6 - Dexter, the Rotom (washing machine form). It's the newest member of my team, and it is all about tricking my oponents with the Trick+Choice Scarf combo.

I just realized I never replied to this thread with the nicknames for my teams. Long post incoming.
  1. Orbeetle: Gamma-ray
    • I didn't name this Pokemon until it evolved into its final form because I didn't want to give it a name that wouldn't fit. I went with Gamma-ray since gammas ray are a form of light and radars use light, though not in the form of gamma rays I believe, to survey their surroundings.
  2. Drednaw: Sediment
    • Per google, sediment is "matter that settles to the bottom of a liquid." From my grade school geology understanding, river rocks/rock-particles are sediments.
  3. Toxtricity: Myotoxin
    • I looked up types of toxins on Wikipedia, and I liked the sound of myotoxin the most.
  4. Sandaconda: Dune
    • Dunes are mounds of sand. Fitting for a Pokemon that carries a lot of sand in its body.
  5. Dragapult: Jet
    • I'm not exactly certain if the B-2 Spirit, what Dragapult is based on, is a fighter jet but both are planes. Close enough.
  6. Duraludon: Titanium
    • Titanium is a tough metal so I choose it for a tough Steel type.
  1. Shedinja: Husk
    • Shedinja is literally a cicada husk.
  2. Unfezent: Pridwin
    • Originally, I named this Pokemon Loftwing. However that didn't sit with me so I went with Pridwin instead. Pridwin is a corruption of Prydwen--I misremembered what the word was and thought it was Pridwin instead of Prydwen. Apparently Pridwin is the name of King Arthur's shield... according to some random baby names website.
  3. Coalossal: Lignite
    • Lignite is a type of coal.
  4. Grapploct: Cephalopod
    • Octopuses are cephalopods. To be honest, I'm not as in love with this name as the others, and I might change it.
  5. Indeedee-Male: Arthur
    • I almost never go with human names for my Pokemon. However, the expression on male Indeedee kinda reminds me of England from Hetalia, whose human name is Arthur Kirkland.
  6. Cramorant: Shoal
    • I like the sound of this word and it has connections to fish and water.
While I didn't use any, I'd like to give credit to @CynthiaLover and @NMLewis for giving me some nickname suggestions.

My party right now consists of:
Hitomi the obstagoon, a reference to 1 of the main characters in the anime Killing Bites who can turn into a honey badger hybrid. (Hitomi Uzaki)
Raphtalia the zacian (Raphtalia from Rising of the Shield Hero)
Turtle Club the drednaw, a reference to a lame joke from a bad movie. (Master of Disguise)
Darth Vader the sandaconda, a reference to...well its pretty obvious. (I don't like sand.)

The only pokemon in my party whose nicknames aren't anime/movie references are Koko (my rillaboom) and whimsy (my alcremie). Other than that most of my given nicknames are video game references, lame jokes, or a reference to whatever was on my mind at the time the nickname was given.

Raphtalia the zacian (Raphtalia from Rising of the Shield Hero)

That's the name I gave my Zacian, too! And, since I finally got to the post-game in one of my Shield playthroughs, I named my Zamazenta Naofumi to complete the set. Heh, strange minds think alike.

Anyway, moving on, I guess I should reveal some of the names I came up with over time.

Scorbunny/Raboot/Cinderace: Blitz/Heatblast/Heatshot/Ace/Lexi (the latter two are from Loonatics Unleashed, and yes, I liked that show)
Rookidee/Corvisquire/Corviknight: Nevermore/Silverbolt/Jetstorm/Skye/Skyla (the former should be obvious, the next two are from Beast Wars/Machines, and Skyla is, well, from BW)
Blipbug/Dottler/Orbeetle: Viral/Mettaur (the line reminds me of viruses, being almost "digital bugs", and the latter name is based off of the Megaman Battle Network virus of the same name, given how its body structure looks like a Mettaur, plus they're common, like Mettaurs)
Farfetch'd/Sirfetch'd: Gustav/Jericho (named after the Royal Knight siblings from Seven Deadly Sins)
Wimpod/Golisopod: Courage (the name is based on Courage the Cowardly Dog, as the line is cowardly but will fight if needed)
G-Stunfisk: Snaptrap (both based from its appearance and after Snaptrap from Tuff Puppy, who is goofy like Stunfisk)
Joltik/Galvantula: Tarantulas/Rachnera (depending on gender, the former is from Beast Wars while the latter is from Monster Musume and my favorite character from the series)
Yamask/Runiregus: Yami Bakura (self-explanatory, but just in case, from Yu-Gi-Oh)
Obstigoon: Noir/Roxie (the latter is based off of Roxie from B2W2, as she's a rock star, and Obstigoon is blatantly based off of one)
Trubbish/Garbodor: Basura (Spanish for rubbish)
Hawlucha: Skystrike/Ricochet (the latter is based off of the Mucha Lucha character of the same name, and it is a luchador)
Applin/Flapple/Appletun: Apple Pie (self-explanatory)
Wooloo/Dubwool: Baah Humbug (Scrooge would be proud of this one)
Koffing/Weezing: Dimmadome (this one should be obvious, but in case it isn't, Fairly Odd Parents character)

That's all from the top of my head on what Mons I nicknamed. I'll probably post more when I refresh my memory on which ones got what.

EDIT: Remembered a few more that I used.

G-Meowth: Fuz-Z (after the mutating biopet from Loonatics Unleashed)
Diglet/Dugtrio: Holey-Moley (I think you lot can figure this one out yourselves)
Rolycoly/Carkol/Coalossal: Fossil Fuel (coal is a fossil fuel, hence the name)
Swinub/Piloswine/Mamoswine: Manny/Ellie (Ice Age, duh)
Milcery/Alcreamie: Sweet Cream (self-explanatory)
Riolu/Lucario: Noble (after Megatron's wolf "form" from Beast Machines)
Stunky/Skuntank: Pepe le Pew (Looney Tunes, duh)
Onix/Steelix: Diane (the giant girl from Seven Deadly Sins... and the odd fact that I somehow always end up with a female with no idea why)
Barbaricle: Clawjaw (from a rather obscure Beast Wars toy during the early days)
Tympole/Palpitoad/Seismitoad: Rhythm (they're sound-based, especially Tympole, so it fits)
Krabby/Kingler: Pinchy (after Homer Simpson's "pet" lobster)
Growlithe: Growlie (after James' Growlithe)

That's the ones I remember at this time. Maybe more will join the ranks later.

Last edited:
Picked up a Gigantamax Alcremie last night, it turned out to be the lemon palette. But I think I'm going to name it Buttercream instead, because, well, I like buttercream frosting :)

I nickname all of my Pokémon, so I’ll just post my personal favorites:

Sizzlipede: Mustachio
Galarian Meowth: Evil Gremlin
Chewtle: Shelldon
Galarian Zigzagoon: Lana Del Rey
Applin: Granny

I named my starter (Sobble) Kilar, after the composer Wojciech Kilar, but I’m planning to breed her to get another Sobble to name James Pond. I’m a bit upset I didn’t come up with the name myself, though.

I can’t name them all off the top of my head, but I started with Messon/Sobble in Sword and called him Ian for Ian Fleming, creator of James Bond. Hibanny/Scorbunny for Shield and I call her Julie, I believe for soccer player Julie Fletcher, but I don’t remember the right player.

I once named a Rediba/Ledyba Tikki for the kwami for Miraculous Ladybug. Even more so, I had a Pikachu and Pippi/Clefairy in Crystal, respectively named Marinette and Alya.

I gave nicknames to all my Pokemon.

Here's the nicknames and explanations for my main Shield team.

• Dribly the Intellion: It's a corrupted form of the name of a Kirby enemy. In hindsight, not really fitting for a spy but I didn't know what Sobble evolved into at the time so sue me.
  • Rouge the Thievul: Rouge is a variation of the color red and is often confused with the word rogue, which is befitting of a thieving fox.
  • Silt the Coalossal: Silt is a type of sand/clay and Coalossal is a rock type.
  • Dinadan the Sylveon: Named after my favorite knight of the round table. Ironically, she's a girl.
  • Aerith the Corsola: See, cause it's dead. And Aerith's dead. I based a Pokemon name around a meme.
  • Amy the Roserade: Named after the Sonic character Amy Rose. Amy the Roserade. Ironically, he's boy.

Got a few more from a current playthrough.

Nickit/Thievil: Nick/Carmelita (former from Zootopia, latter is the "foxy" cop from the Sly Copper series, although in this case it's a "role reversal" of sorts)
Dracozolt: Dingodile (it's a mix-and-match critter like Dingodile, though, in this case, it lacks the "dingo" part, but the draco half can work for the "dile" bit)
Bounsweet line: Tutti/Lufa (former being one half of the flavor "tutti-fruity" while latter is based off of the "token evil teammate" elf and Mink's best friend, Lufa, from Dragon Half, as Tseerena is said to have a "cruel heart", although my Lufa can back up her bluster, unlike Mink's friend ^_^)
Rotom: Mappy/Zap Ring (former is based off of the "guide mouse" from Dragon Half, which ties in nicely with the Rotom Dex/Phone's Town Map feature, while the former is based off of the Battle Chip of the same name from Megaman Battle Network)
Roggenrola line: Rockin' (get it? Because it's rockin' n rolling to rock n' roll? *hears crickets*)
Crammorant: Birdbrain (it says it forgets what it's doing mid-battle, so if that isn't what birdbrain sounds like, I don't know what will. Fun fact: the term "birdbrain" is actually contradictory, as a bird's brain takes up more of its total body weight than a human's brain does: 4% compared to a human 2% to be exact, thus it means a bird has more brains ounce-for-ounce than humans do)

A pokemon that got swapped put early on:

Damascus the Galar Linoone: Damascus is a type of super cool metal (look it up it's really, really cool) and the Galar Zigzagoon line is based on metal and rock bands and such. I boxed him early on because I just wasn't really feeling him and he already had overlap with Rouge.

And I named my (also boxed) Flygon Draken because, well dragon type.

Keeping with my convention of Tolkien themed names, I was able to get a couple of Galarian Rapidashes and named them both Asfaloth. That’s the horse Glorfindel (Arwen in the movies) rides to save Frodo from the Ringwraiths.

‘Tis a shame that I tried to use Galarian Rapidash in raids and just couldn’t get it to work. It’s just not my style :(

Planning on having nicknames?
What are you thinking about nicknaming the pokemon you have the most interest in so far?

Also a thread for sharing good nicknames for new pokemon for those who don't know what to nickname them yet.

Future - What did you nickname your new pokemon?
Apple

Nicknames for Eevee. I have multiple eevees but I have no idea what to nickname them!

On USUM so no screenshots to save your eyes sorry! (none are shiny)

I have a female Jolteon Hasty Nature, Male Vaporeon Calm Nature, Male Umbreon Bashful Nature, Male Eevee (going to be Espeon) Admant, Male Leafeon Bashful Nature, Male Sylveon this Idk why it's male and it's nature is Quirky.

I decided to evolve some eevees forgetting I was going to say natures

Last edited:
Nicknames for Eevee. I have multiple eevees but I have no idea what to nickname them!

On USUM so no screenshots to save your eyes sorry! (none are shiny)
Hmm. Could you post a bit more information on them, such as their gender, natures, what you plan to evolve them into, etc. as well as nickname preferences? I think that would make it a bit easier, at least to me, to come up with nicknames.

Alternatively, here's some links with Eevee nickname suggestions: 1, 2, 3. I'm partial to Alexandrite, from the first link, and Cinnamon, which is from the second link.

the weirdest name i ever came up with is
-Flyey the wingull he evolved but when nebby came i left him :cry:
but he does get a shower of poke beans

Hmm. Could you post a bit more information on them, such as their gender, natures, what you plan to evolve them into, etc. as well as nickname preferences? I think that would make it a bit easier, at least to me, to come up with nicknames.

Alternatively, here's some links with Eevee nickname suggestions: 1, 2, 3. I'm partial to Alexandrite, from the first link, and Cinnamon, which is from the second link.
sorry! Once my ds is charged I'll check genders and natures all have their hidden ability.

I can't remember all the nicknames I've used over the years, but I always liked nicknaming my Pokemon. It gave me a special kind of attachment to them, and it's always fun to see the cool and creative nicknames people come up with for their Pokemon. For me, it's usually what I think fits the Pokemon and sometimes just whatever I'm into at the time; for example, I nicknamed my Rookidee Castle because I'm really into the TV show with the same name, and I'd decided that it would be nicknamed Castle if it was a boy (after the titular main character, who's male) or Beckett if it was female (after the lead female character in the show). Another favorite is a Carbink I nicknamed Cae; I forget what I was actually going for as its nickname, but Cae wasn't the original nickname. I didn't like it at first, but it ended up growing on me as I kept seeing it and using the Carbink more and more (since it was part of my team).

So I’ve stared up a new Sword file and I have some nicknames and nickname plans for my team:
  • Yamper/Boltund: Ion (originally Dipole)
  • Galarian Farfetch’d: Sticks
  • Torkoal: Kiln
  • Alcremie: Pastel
  • Flapple: Wyrm (thanks to @Skalesgon for the suggestion)
  • Noctowl: Clockwork
I need some nickname ideas for a Flapple, Noctowl, and Barraskewda. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: Got some nicknames for the Flapple and Noctowl.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom