• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Nicknaming your new pokemon

PocketMonster

#Shield
Reaction score
Planning on having nicknames?
What are you thinking about nicknaming the pokemon you have the most interest in so far?

Also a thread for sharing good nicknames for new pokemon for those who don't know what to nickname them yet.

Future - What did you nickname your new pokemon?

My favorite show is Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD. When I watched the reveal trailer and saw the titles, I knew instantly which version I had to get. It got even crazier when I saw the leak say what Sobble (my current fav) becomes, which would fit the show perfectly.

I plan on naming everyone I use after characters from the show, and possibly extend that to the larger MCU if I want. I haven’t decided on anything specific, yet.

I usually do a naming theme for my teams, kinda like the characters in Pokemon Adventures. I've been thinking about naming my Pokemon this time around based on this music group I like, and luckily the 4 Pokemon I've chosen for my team so far fit their names and the group's themes perfectly. But I'm going to need to get those last 2 members to see if I end up using that theme and how I'll assign the names.

Currently I don’t have many ideas for nicknames but I have a few ideas kicking around

Grookey- So far I’ve thought of naming it either K. Julien or Mort if it‘s a boy or Qu. Juliana if it‘s a girl but these are just my first ideas and I hope to come up with more.
Scorbunny- Campion after one of my favorite characters from Watership Down. Plus it’s close to champion which is fitting for it and Galar’s competitive streak.
Dreadnaw- I’m either naming it Turtleman or YIYIYEE!!! after the Call of the Wildman show (which often featured the titular character wrangling snapping turtles like Dreadnaw)
Galarian Ponyta- Amalthea after the titular character from “the Last Unicorn” or maybe Molly.
Yamper- The ideas of naming it Hot Dog, Amelia, or Sparky have been bouncing around my head but I’m hoping to come up with something else.

Not a new Pokémon but it’s a Pokémon I’ve been considering having on my team if I choose Grookey;
Ninetales- Rumika (named after James’ fiancée after watching a Fiction and Mythology Explained video on the kitsune and got obsessed with the idea of her having one)

Last edited:
I've been waiting for a thread like this.

Grookey: Stick
Scorbunny: Matches (credit to another user who came up with this one; unfortunately I forgot their name), Matchstick, Ember
Sobble: Abyss, River, Rain, Dew, Dewdrop
Gossifleur/Eldegoss: Gossamer, Fluff, Cotton
Drednaw: Chomper, Jaws, Shell, Granite, Crag
Corviknight: Wither, Witherwings, Wrought Iron
Wooloo: Fluffy
Alcremie: Vanilla, Cafe, Chocolate, Charms
Yamper: Sparks, Fido
Rolycoly: Coal, Charcoal
Duraludon: Aluminum, Titanium
Weezing: Stacks, Miasma
G-Zigzagoon/G-Linoone/Obstagoon: Punk, Stripes, Brute
Morpeko: Sparks, Volt, Switch
Cramorant: Blue, Ocean
Polteageist: Ceramic, Ectoplasm
Sirfetch'd: Leak, Feathers, Paladin
G-Ponyta: Sparkle, Radiance, Luminescent, Luster, Pastel

I only thoughy about Galarian Ponyta:

Male: Charlie, Julian, UnicornWizard
Female: C-Beth, Almathia, any random 80s MLP unicorn names I can find

Other than that. Everyone else is getting random goofy nicknames.

Been thinking about this for a bit, but I don't have any set-in-stone ideas. That doesn't mean I don't have any ideas, I just need more time to think about it. However, this is what I've got so far.

Scorbunny: Heat Guts, Heatblast, Blitz, Napalm
Corviknight: StormSworder, Raynos, Knightmare, Tin Hawk
Yamper: Sparkplug, Baxter (after my family's dachshund), Thundervolt, Zap Ring, Rush
Sirfetch'd: Male: Gilthunder, Howzer, Arthur. Female: Guila, Jericho, Matrona

I don't usually name my Pokémon, but I can't not name my strawberry-flavored Alcremie "Eton Mess" and my Yamper "PAMPER" (all caps) because I'm lowkey obsessed with Affleck leak.

Last edited:
Ponyta: Twilight or Rarity
Sobble: 007 or James (assuming the rumors about him evolving to be spy themed are true)
Obstagoon: Gene
Corviknight: Valiant

Btw , I'm replaying emerald and called my zigzagoon newgene

Sobble :bestbond
Morpeko: hamtaro
Corviknight :coolerskar

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom