• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo 2DS announced for October release: Cheaper Nintendo 3DS without clamshell de

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Nintendo 2DS announced for October release: Cheaper Nintendo 3DS without clamshel

When I think of a hand-held, I think of something that is compact, and easily portable. This, however, looks cumbersome, and has a horrible design. I love Nintendo, abut this product is just another failure. Pass.

Re: Nintendo 2DS announced for October release: Cheaper Nintendo 3DS without clamshel

I don't understand how anyone could knock the system so hard before it's even been released. And the system is built to target young adolescent players being introduced to gaming, so the design is extremely fitting. People seem to like to gripe about the product even though it's not meant for them. Nintendo is making an attempt to broaden its market demographic and this is a pretty clever way to do so.

I don't understand how anyone could knock the system so hard before it's even been released. And the system is built to target young adolescent players being introduced to gaming, so the design is extremely fitting. People seem to like to gripe about the product even though it's not meant for them. Nintendo is making an attempt to broaden its market demographic and this is a pretty clever way to do so.

Even if it is meant for children, I can still form an opinion about the product. I've been a fan on Nintendo, since I was a child, and enjoyed most of their work. I expect Nintendo to have a certain level of quality. I don't care who they are targeting with this product, it still looks bad. I'm not saying it's going to flop, though. It might sell very well, but that will not change my opinion about it. Of course, I will "speak with my wallet", and not buy this.

I don't really have a problem with the 2DS since it's for kids...but...I mean, what's the point when you can turn the 3D off of a 3DS? I also feel like the name wasn't the best idea. It almost sounds like they're regressing.

And, I see I'm not the only one who's not quite feeling the design of that thing...The only benefit I see of it is that there's no top screen to break (which is what killed my two DS Lites, ironically).

I for one, think this is a brilliant idea, and quite frankly, the design ain't too shabby. It's nice to see a billion dollar company try to expand their market.

Having a little flat (yet surprisingly sturdy looking) 2ds console will appeal to that market of parents who want to keep kids off the ipads by giving them something that looks similar that they wont break and wont have danger content.

For me I feel the clam shell is better since I can fit it into a pocket and carry it around. Plus this new 2ds has a smaller screen.

As for the 3d feature I never use mine as I'm sure alot of others don't.

it slightly bigger than the original 3DS but smaller than the XL

this guy says its better than both 3ds models as he already has played with it

A even better article about the reasoning behind it or something

I for one, think this is a brilliant idea, and quite frankly, the design ain't too shabby. It's nice to see a billion dollar company try to expand their market.

Expanding your market, to reach more demographics is brilliant, and I applaud any company. However, Nintendo should have thought of a better design. The look and appeal of a product is the most important aspect, I think. IMO, this hand-held is hideous, which means I will not be buying one.

This is brilliant for consumers like me who can't spend a lot of money on gaming. Even with the 3DS price cuts, it's still rather expensive, and I don't need unnecessary features of the 3DS anyways. The question is, whether my country is going to import it or not.

I'd rather go and buy a 3DS XL, but I'd totally get this for my younger siblings if I could. They all broke all of their DS in the past, and this doesn't even have a hinge to break and render useless!

They could STILL actually play games again! Maybe..

I haven't read a single comment describing what they find "hideous" about the design, even though I've seen that adjective tossed around a lot. Can somebody explain this to me? I think it looks fine and has a pretty intelligent design.

And about why they would make it without the 3D feature, keep in mind that not everybody has a 3DS yet, and especially younger kids who don't know exactly what they want from gaming yet, this would be a cheap alternative.

And no, this is not "just a DS." It has all the interface features of a 3DS plus can play all the games that a DS can't.

The design doesn't look too appealing. It looks more like a mini-tablet to me than anything else due to how it doesn't close. I can kind of see how it could work as an introduction system for kids, but not being able to close it seems like an odd design choice. Plus, that could make it easier for the screen to be damaged or get dirty. The only thing that the 2DS has going for it is the fact that it's slightly cheaper, but since the design isn't too appealing, I really doubt that I'll get one. I'll need another system to trade and transfer Pokemon in X and Y, but I think that I'd rather just get a used 3DS and stick with my current 3DS rather than get a 2DS.

I don't really have a problem with the 2DS since it's for kids...but...I mean, what's the point when you can turn the 3D off of a 3DS? I also feel like the name wasn't the best idea. It almost sounds like they're regressing.

It means that they're cheaper to manufacture without a 3D screen at all, hence the lower price.

Reminder : not everyone has a 3DS yet
Reminder2 : not everyone has the money to buy a 3DS

Conclusion : for those who want to play 3DS games at a cheaper price, this is a good option. It's not as if the graphic quality will horribly drop without 3D anyways.

Let's talk about the design. Yes, it's clunky and nothing about it screams "modern Nintendo handheld," but you know what? It looks comfortable. Or at least more comfortable than my 3DS, which is UNCOMFORTABLE AS HELL to play with. The GBA was comfortable to hold and play on. The SP was terrible. The original DS was good, because it was wider than the 3DS, and my fingers didn't need to crimp just to get to the shoulder buttons when I'm playing Mario Kart, never mind that when I want to soft reset my W2 on my 3DS, I have to bend everything just to get to the start+select buttons on top of L+R.

So say what you want about the look. If I didn't already have a 3DS, I would be investing in this faster than speed could go, because I don't like needing breaks to loosen up my fingers. My fingers should not hurt so much from a handheld.

Let's talk about the design. Yes, it's clunky and nothing about it screams "modern Nintendo handheld," but you know what? It looks comfortable. Or at least more comfortable than my 3DS, which is UNCOMFORTABLE AS HELL to play with. The GBA was comfortable to hold and play on. The SP was terrible. The original DS was good, because it was wider than the 3DS, and my fingers didn't need to crimp just to get to the shoulder buttons when I'm playing Mario Kart, never mind that when I want to soft reset my W2 on my 3DS, I have to bend everything just to get to the start+select buttons on top of L+R.

So say what you want about the look. If I didn't already have a 3DS, I would be investing in this faster than speed could go, because I don't like needing breaks to loosen up my fingers. My fingers should not hurt so much from a handheld.

Actually surprisingly from what i have been reading from people that have played with this already the its EASIER an BETTER to hold then the other 2 3ds models

The 3DS is fairly uncomfortable, but this was fixed in the XL I think, and hopefully this will be the same. It seems like it's designed to be held comfortably to me, and making the back slanted is a good idea not only so it can easily be propped, but so it's not nearly as heavy on the bottom and easier to hold.

It's cheaper, looks as sturdy as a Gamecube, and doesn't have the 3D that isn't recommended for kiddies anyway.
It's aimed primarily at young kids, and parents who were reluctant to spend a lot of money on something that might get broken... and wasn't there something about the 3D being bad for kids? This is aimed at a very particular market.
No, person commenting on the internet. It is not aimed at you.

The reaction to this in some places has been breathtaking, but not all that surprising. There are far, far too many gamers who can't comprehend the idea that something might exist that isn't aimed at them.

It's cheaper, looks as sturdy as a Gamecube, and doesn't have the 3D that isn't recommended for kiddies anyway.
It's aimed primarily at young kids, and parents who were reluctant to spend a lot of money on something that might get broken... and wasn't there something about the 3D being bad for kids? This is aimed at a very particular market.
No, person commenting on the internet. It is not aimed at you.

The reaction to this in some places has been breathtaking, but not all that surprising. There are far, far too many gamers who can't comprehend the idea that something might exist that isn't aimed at them.

Well then they failed because the first thing i am doing when i get to work in the morning is preordering this bad boy in red and Black FOR ME, MYSELF AND I ONLY

Nintendo 2DS - Official Website at Nintendo for more info if people are curious

One of nintendo's lifeguard is now Pokémon x and y to make nintendo alive... When they announced this game, i think they were trying to plan what to do in order to fight the two kings of consoles ( which is ps4 and xbox one)... Just immagine if they release x and y having only 3ds xl and 3ds vanilla (the sales would go down) what to do?? I suppose that nintendo proposed to release an "economic" console. And that gives birth to the 2ds... The big difference is the design is why??..i think it would scratch 3ds's territory if they mantain the same clamp design... Only few uses 3d option in 3ds, if they release the same design without 3d, this event would send 3ds vanilla and xl to the trash can..(in less words, it wouldn't sell anymore) Nintendo says that it's for kids from 7 years below but nintendo could've just updated the old system making the parents control the console if they want to block 3d activator or not..... makes sense, who's with me?
Listen to this... Back in generation iv they made the same thing.. Doing it with the ds lite...
Ds lite's release date was 21 march 2006 while diamond and pearl were realeased 28 september the same year as the ds lite's released... I don't know what was ds lite's price but i suppose it was lower than the vanilla ds fat....
My two cents..

Edit:
Just made a researcg and discovered that present 3dss can be blocked,

Last edited:

Call me crazy, but I think the design looks very good (although I prefer the 3DS XL's design by far).

It seems very compact and slick, although inconvenient. It looks large so it wouldn't fit a pocket too well plus w/o the clam-shell design, screens and buttons can be dirtied, so I don't think it would be well suited for travel if you're going to put it into your pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom