• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo 2DS announced for October release: Cheaper Nintendo 3DS without clamshell de

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Nintendo 2DS announced for October release: Cheaper Nintendo 3DS without clamshel

Call me crazy, but I think the design looks very good (although I prefer the 3DS XL's design by far).

It seems very compact and slick, although inconvenient. It looks large so it wouldn't fit a pocket too well plus w/o the clam-shell design, screens and buttons can be dirtied, so I don't think it would be well suited for travel if you're going to put it into your pocket.

There selling a carrying case for 12.99 USD for it

Re: Nintendo 2DS announced for October release: Cheaper Nintendo 3DS without clamshel

I never really liked carrying my 3DS in my pocket anyway. Anything bigger than a cell phone is just too big and heavy for your average pocket. That's one reason I'm not too concerned about the non-foldability. This seems like it would be just as easy to carry around since it can easily slide into decent sized bag without taking up much room.

Well, all I can say is that if I did not already own a 3DS, I'd seriously consider getting this. I've only occasionally turned on the 3D on it (not counting the one mandatory time when you first set it up), and even then, it's not on for very long (the only 3DS games I have, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and Animal Crossing: New Leaf (the latter of which was the digital version), look weird with it on, anyway, and the game with the most play time is White 2, a regular DS game), and it mostly comes on by accidentally turning it on. And so everyone knows, I got the original model used at my local GameStop at the end of May, where I also bought White 2 used and got Spirit Tracks free thanks to my buy two used, get one used free coupon for going Pro (and yes, I had to mention that it was two used products, not two used games, as the manager asked me what other game I'd like to get, and he even confirmed it afterward).

Tbh any sane adult gamer who is considering this because of money is daft. You can pick up barely played near mint 3ds for far cheaper on auction sites. I got a 3ds xl with mario game for less.

This is for kids at christmas, if you want to play XY scout auction sites you'll get a much better deal especially now all the nubs decide to get this insted of used ones.

I haven't read a single comment describing what they find "hideous" about the design, even though I've seen that adjective tossed around a lot. Can somebody explain this to me?

When I look at it, I think of a cheap tablet, that's been made in some Asian country. It looks awkward to hold, and not very portable. I don't see the appeal, other than it being marketed for kids. I mean, shouldn't kids care what products look like, too?

The reaction to this in some places has been breathtaking, but not all that surprising. There are far, far too many gamers who can't comprehend the idea that something might exist that isn't aimed at them.

I expect Nintendo to have a certain level of quality, and this just doesn't cut the mustard. Who cares what the 2DS is aimed for? Why should the level of quality change, depending on the demo?

Last edited:

When I look at it, I think of a cheap tablet, that's been made in some Asian country. It looks awkward to hold, and not very portable. I don't see the appeal, other than it being marketed for kids. I mean, shouldn't kids care what products look like, too?

Actually from what i have been hearing and based on the model i made out of wood last night its actually easier to hold then either of the other 2 folding 3ds models because of the lack of a hinge

Team Gaara said:
I also feel like the name wasn't the best idea. It almost sounds like they're regressing.

I agree with you there. They could have picked a better name, like, I don't know, "3DS Mini" or something.

But it's not really 3D anymore. They might as well have called it "3DS minus 3D". Although I have to admit that I first heard of this in a Youtube video from a gaming video channel, and when I saw the title I thought it was a joke or a parody.

I would have considered buying this for the cheaper price but the design just turns me off. I like the classic DS/3DS clamshell design much better. That and this comes out at the same time as XY and I'm already planning to get a 3DS some time before that. (My birthday is at October 1st so I might be able to get a 100 or so € from my parents lol.)

I like my 3DS, what's a 2ds ? I bet it's the same thing but without the 3D in it. I dont know about it. It could lead into a mini

It looks like a slice of cheese.

I don't have a 3DS yet, but I ain't buying this one. Besides, the regular 3DS is barely more expensive.

Eh, I have two 3DSes already and I like the 3D. It's never bothered me at all and I've played for hours straight. Maybe I'm just different from other people, but I never got headaches or anything at all. xP

I also think that design is totally ridiculous. How's a little kid supposed to properly hold that big thing with such little hands? lol

Obvious question:

Do you think this is targeted for people who ALREADY HAVE a 3DS?

Sure, you can still buy it if you want even if you already have the 3DS - but seriously, that doesn't make sense. Those who are happy with their 3DS are obviously NOT going to buy it, and will find this useless.

Then it's pretty obvious to see who are actually the target audience: kids who are sensitive to the side-effects of 3D, and gamers on budgets who DO NOT own a 3DS.

And about used 3DS - it's only worth the purchase if there can be some way to confirm the previous owner didn't do anything weird to the device. If it is between a used 3DS and a new 2DS at the same price - then I'm getting the new 2DS. There's no need to get a used item if you can get a new one with the same amount of money.

Last edited:

I'd say a 3DS is cool its awsome to get I'd say I cant wait for that 2DS IMO

I expect Nintendo to have a certain level of quality, and this just doesn't cut the mustard. Who cares what the 2DS is aimed for? Why should the level of quality change, depending on the demo?

It's designed to do its job, which is to be robust and not break when a kid drops it. That's the reasoning behind a lot of the slightly weird design elements, such as the screens not extending near the edges of the thing. If they did, they'd be much more likely to shatter when it was dropped. You could go for a sleeker design that emulate high end tablets, or you could make something that will actually function as intended.

Bear in mind that this is aimed at parents too, in that they're the ones who'll be buying it. The fact that it looks sturdy means they'll be far more likely to spend money on it.

Again, this is gamers complaining that something has been targeted at a demographic that isn't them, and that the design choices have been tailored at that market instead of to their tastes. Over the last day or so I've encountered far too many gamers who think that their sense of aesthetics is what Nintendo should really be worried about, not the needs of the demographic they're actually targeting.

Eh, I have two 3DSes already and I like the 3D. It's never bothered me at all and I've played for hours straight. Maybe I'm just different from other people, but I never got headaches or anything at all. xP

I also think that design is totally ridiculous. How's a little kid supposed to properly hold that big thing with such little hands? lol

Watch the trailer [video]http://www.nintendo.com/popup/video?url=Mzb3d5ZDqai9N8GiqcbYbWeou7e66xSF&title=true&autoplay=true&color=3ds&iframe=true[/video]

Actually, there is one bigger question behind this 2DS: Is it a game console on its own, where its game is not compatible to 3DS? And vice versa, can it play 3DS game?

If it turns out to be a 3DS with no 3D, then I would rather go buy myself a regular 3DS.
If it turns out to be a complete new console on its own, then...... Well, every gamers will be mad about it (both positively and negatively).

Actually, there is one bigger question behind this 2DS: Is it a game console on its own, where its game is not compatible to 3DS? And vice versa, can it play 3DS game?

If it turns out to be a 3DS with no 3D, then I would rather go buy myself a regular 3DS.
If it turns out to be a complete new console on its own, then...... Well, every gamers will be mad about it (both positively and negatively).

It plays all 3ds games in 2D and all DS titles to

I had a NDS already, just not 3DS. I was planning to buy a 3DS after at least one or two years. Just had no intention to buy it now. But still, even this 2DS is out by now before I had obtained a 3DS, I'm not intended to buy a 2DS, it is just meaningless when there is already a 3DS.

I don't understand about Nintendo's game console selling strategy. They already had 3DS which itself can optionally turn on/off the 3D function at anytime. Why bother a 2DS now? The only benefit I see as a player will be its price may be a little lower than 3DS. But then of course the price cut was due to the lost of one major graphic function.
So, depending on the purchasers which are gamers, do they want to save money but lose the graphic, or pay more for better graphic? I don't know what other thinks, but I personally choose the latter. 2DS is just meaningless for me.

I had a NDS already, just not 3DS. I was planning to buy a 3DS after at least one or two years. Just had no intention to buy it now. But still, even this 2DS is out by now before I had obtained a 3DS, I'm not intended to buy a 2DS, it is just meaningless when there is already a 3DS.

I don't understand about Nintendo's game console selling strategy. They already had 3DS which itself can optionally turn on/off the 3D function at anytime. Why bother a 2DS now? The only benefit I see as a player will be its price may be a little lower than 3DS. But then of course the price cut was due to the lost of one major graphic function.
So, depending on the purchasers which are gamers, do they want to save money but lose the graphic, or pay more for better graphic? I don't know what other thinks, but I personally choose the latter. 2DS is just meaningless for me.

3D is only an effect, it has no impact on the graphics in the console. Besides, not all games on the 3DS makes full use of it.

Anyway, I read that the two screens on the 2DS is actually one large screen with plastic separating it into 2, thus cutting down the price even more.

Oh, So That's Nintendo's Next Move, from USGamer

Curiously, the 2DS is even more of a tablet-style system than it appears at first glance, as it actually features a single large screen in its center, not two separate ones. As one of their cost-cutting design measures, Nintendo reduced the number of screens in the system from two to one, and the appearance of separate screens is merely simulated by the way the case masks out the extraneous portions. This means the entire screen is by necessity a touchscreen, with the upper screen protected by a layer of plastic that sits above it. While this makes no difference for the system's normal functions -- after all, neither the system's firmware or its software would recognize the hidden, inactive zones of the screen or the upper portion's touch capabilities, even if you exposed those portions -- I'm curious to see what hardware modders manage to do with the system.

It's designed to do its job, which is to be robust and not break when a kid drops it. That's the reasoning behind a lot of the slightly weird design elements, such as the screens not extending near the edges of the thing. If they did, they'd be much more likely to shatter when it was dropped. You could go for a sleeker design that emulate high end tablets, or you could make something that will actually function as intended.

OK, that's a fair point, but I feel as if they could have made a better design, but still make it "kid-friendly".

Bear in mind that this is aimed at parents too, in that they're the ones who'll be buying it. The fact that it looks sturdy means they'll be far more likely to spend money on it.

"Robust", and "sturdy". When I see this, I don't think of those two adjectives. IMO, it's thin, tall and looks uncomfortable to hold. AKA, a cheap tablet, made in an Asian country.

Again, this is gamers complaining that something has been targeted at a demographic that isn't them, and that the design choices have been tailored at that market instead of to their tastes. Over the last day or so I've encountered far too many gamers who think that their sense of aesthetics is what Nintendo should really be worried about, not the needs of the demographic they're actually targeting.

Please, don't lump me with them, as I already said, many times, that I understand what this product is intended for. However, I still want to express my opinions, since I have that right to do so. This is a forum, after all.

IMO, That is the ugliest handheld I've ever seen in my life. It looks horrible. Only 1 speaker, it doesn't fit in your pocket, the buttons are placed extremely oddly, it's just so bad. What the hell were they thinking?

EDIT: And one of their goals of this release is to make it "affordable". $130 is not really affordable compared to a system that is way better and $40 more. Affordable would be like $99.99, which is as high as this 2DS thing should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom