• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo 2DS announced for October release: Cheaper Nintendo 3DS without clamshell de

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Nintendo 2DS announced for October release: Cheaper Nintendo 3DS without clamshell design or 3D

Nintendo has announced the Nintendo 2DS, a system that plays Nintendo 3DS games but in 2D and without a clamshell design. It will be released on October 12, 2013.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Nintendo 2DS announced for October release: Cheaper Nintendo 3DS without clamshel

I think i may buy this instead of the XL when X and Y come out

Re: Nintendo 2DS announced for October release: Cheaper Nintendo 3DS without clamshel

I'll be sticking with my 3ds xl thank you. I mean seriously can you say money hungry. its good for those who dont have the money to by a 3ds. but still come on now.

This is actually GENIUS when bundled with the price cut on Wii U. I'll try to explain it the best I can.

First off, Nintendo told Investors that they will make a major profit this year(I can't find the profit amount, I know it was HUGE, like 90 Billion yen or something). They then realize that the Wii U is floundering like a fish out of water and that the PS4, as it stands right now, is the giant grizzly bear that's looking for a snack(Think of Wii U as the fish where PS4 is the bear because of how it's powerful, being financed by a corporation that can take losses on hardware, etc). They then realize that they have to save the Wii U But ALSO that they still have that profit goal to make or investors will be furious with them.

They then realize that if you follow the web, there is one Nintendo game that is constantly being mentioned :pokemon X/Y. However, at the current price that the 3DS is selling at, they can't expect to turn around and make massive profits in certain markets such as America. The best way speaking from a logistics standpoint is to have a lower priced version of the 3DS hardware that can play the 3DS Library including Pokemon. Obviously though, They can't price drop any of the 3DS current systems to a lower price due to them making minor profits at the moment. If you had to get rid of a feature on the 3DS to the drop the price, the smartest choice is the 3DS Screen. It's expensive compared to the rest of the system and from my experience with other 3DS owners it's rarely used. You could drop the DS compatibility, but if you're trying to sell this as THE DS model for a low price, you should cover all your bases.

This leads to the creation of the 2DS, which A) Allows for Nintendo to have a Lower Price 3DS that still has 90% of the functionality B ) Have a way to make Pokemon sell to ALL age groups, even those less fortunate in terms of finances(Yes, Pokemon is a $40 game, but you can get Pokemon AND a 2DS for $170. That's opening up a whole new market.) C) Allow for them to cut the Wii U price to $300 WITH a game, making it be $160 less then a PS4 with the same stuff(Yes, PS+ trial, but it's not a full game), and finally D) allows for them to finally begin to push the Wii U sales wise with it's games coming out this fall.

All in all, this is Nintendo going "We can't screw around the profits anymore. It's time to play Hardball." THIS is the Nintendo that consumers want to see, the one that is willing to think outside the box for ways to make profits and is willing to play aggressively with the price. Consumers win by getting a lower priced system, Nintendo wins by gaining a larger install base to sell games to, and Retailers win by having a reason to keep the Wii U on the shelves of stores.

I know a lot of people think they're just being greedy, but this really is a good idea I think. It's a good alternative to the 3DS if it's just a bit more than you're willing to pay. The only problem I see with it is it's not quite as compact since it doesn't fold, which also doesn't give as much protection for the screen.

For some reason, this sounds a little sketchy…

Sounds kinda pointless to me. Especially since you can simply turn the 3D off on the 3DS.

(Though Macromaster makes a good point)

I'm sticking with my regular 3DS (don't have an XL cause I got mine before the XL came out), cause honestly, the 2DS has to be the ugliest looking handheld I've ever seen. Besides, I always keep the 3D off on my 3DS to save battery power.

I was quite baffled by the news as I ordered a 3DS XL yesterday and received it today right for the news. Maybe I would've considered buying it because of the lower price, but I have no regrets of buying the 3DS XL. I don't like this design and a DS like system just has to be able to fold, in my opinion.

That being said, it's probably a smart move from Nintendo, we'll see. And it's good for people who have less to spend.

I'm sticking with my regular 3DS (don't have an XL cause I got mine before the XL came out), cause honestly, the 2DS has to be the ugliest looking handheld I've ever seen. Besides, I always keep the 3D off on my 3DS to save battery power.

I'm keeping mine, too. The 2DS may be great for those who want to save money, but the design is too awkward for my taste.

I can see the appeal if you're a parent on a budget who doesn't want their 6-year-old playing for 4 hours straight with the 3D cranked way up. The 3D is a real eyeball slayer unless it's barely on, even on a young adult's eyes.
Personally, I think the 2DS just clunky. I need the clamshell design if I want my XL to fit in my bag with all my other crap.

Given how the primary audience for this will probably be kids and teens (based on the lack of 3D and cheaper price), Nintendo's going to have to bring back the hardcore Nintendium.
I've seen firsthand what kids do to their handhelds over time, and it ain't pretty.

I think my older brother would like this one for the lower price, PLUS the fact it doesn't have 3D. He tried with my 3DS and said it felt like he was getting drunk (how I do not know).

By the way, anyone heard today that the Wii U is getting a price cut? Coincidence?

This is great, Nintendo is cutting out the 3D gimmick. Also, the Wii U price drop is great too. I might actually get a Wii U now.

I'm keeping mine, too. The 2DS may be great for those who want to save money, but the design is too awkward for my taste.

I've seen some ugly tech designs before, this one is probably the ugliest handheld since the N-Gage (look it up if you've never heard of it, it's a very infamous handheld), and the ugliest game system since the Virtual Boy, and we all know the story of THAT...

I've seen some ugly tech designs before, this one is probably the ugliest handheld since the N-Gage (look it up if you've never heard of it, it's a very infamous handheld), and the ugliest game system since the Virtual Boy, and we all know the story of THAT...

actually the design i think makes a lot of sense Robo because i work at both a gamestop and at another used game store where we repair consoles all the time at those joint hinges are surprisingly very easy to break for small children (and many children break them to ) + then with 3d feature onlu suppose to be used by children 7 and over this makes perfect sense

At first I thought this was an early/ late April Fools announcement.

Wouldn't a 2DS just be an original DS? Weird naming, Nintendo.

Having a little flat (yet surprisingly sturdy looking) 2ds console will appeal to that market of parents who want to keep kids off the ipads by giving them something that looks similar that they wont break and wont have danger content.

For me I feel the clam shell is better since I can fit it into a pocket and carry it around. Plus this new 2ds has a smaller screen.

As for the 3d feature I never use mine as I'm sure alot of others don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom