• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo announces Nintendo DS successor: Handheld to be able to produce 3D effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Nintendo announces Nintendo DS successor: Handheld to be able to produce 3D effec

I wish people would at least wait to see the thing at E3 before badmouthing it, and calling it "gimmicky". I really love how there are always a ton of people coming out of the woodwork and (lacking any ideas of their own beyond "KEEP THINGS THE SAME... MAYBE WITH SLIGHTLY BETTER GFX :dead:") bash something we barely know the first thing about.

Re: Nintendo announces Nintendo DS successor: Handheld to be able to produce 3D effec

me no post in long time! This seems cool but confusing. It's also sad since my 5 year old bro cant see in 3-d due to stigmatism. He is a uge fane of pokemon!

I figure it will be a very good thing - not because of the tech involved in Nintendo's specific project, but because it will force the technology to improve anyway.

Before the DS, touch screens weren't anything special and the Nintendo DS's touch screen isn't much to brag about. But the standard was set, so companies had to be competitive if they wanted to succeed.

So I'm basically hoping that Nintendo ends up driving up the stakes a bit, to make 3D something more worthwhile, and hopefully without those stupid glasses altogether.

Gimmicks are just what you people call innovations that you don't agree with.

At least Nintendo's thinking outside the box.

This thing probably won't be seen 'til E3.

You are correct, they are supposed to be debuting it at E3. It is scheduled from June 15th, 2010 to the 17th of June. Does anyone know where it is being held by the way this year?

I was thinking the same thing...

Anyways, there's a video of a 3d looking DSi game hadn't noticed before, (I'm sure I'm just a huge Slowpoke but...) I didn't know this kind of 3d look was already available on the DSi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE

Looks pretty cool

That is a very interesting video, I agree. It would be interesting if they decide to go in this direction for the new handheld system, but I guess we are just going to have to wait and see until they show it at E3.

Looking at a couple of places, Nintendo has games lined up to release all the way to Winter of 2010 for the Nintendo DS, so we probably won't see the release of the new handheld system anytime soon.

Looking at a couple of places, Nintendo has games lined up to release all the way to Winter of 2010 for the Nintendo DS, so we probably won't see the release of the new handheld system anytime soon.

GBA games continued to be released after the DS Phat came out; that really isn't an indication of anything. There's also the fact that the 3DS will be able to play DS/DSi titles, so Nintendo really has nothing to lose and everything to gain by continuing to release them even after the 3DS launches... perhaps as long as a year after. Nintendo also knows full-well that many people don't buy new systems immediately, so they'll still want to sell new games to those people who haven't quite given up their DS's yet.

But the fact is Nintendo has stated the 3DS is going to be released "in the fiscal year ending March 2011". There current fiscal year is obviously coming to an end this month, so the 3DS could come out anytime between now and next March.

The most likely release date is sometime around the end of this year, to take advantage of the holiday shopping season. We could be looking at a launch as soon as Oct/Nov.

And how much will this damn thing cost? And if it is real than I might save up for one. It looks good. I heard about it a little while ago.

Gen V will be on 3DS, I just know it. I'm bookmarking this post. When we get the final word I'll post a link and either lawls at myself or say I told you so.

Gen V will be on 3DS, I just know it. I'm bookmarking this post. When we get the final word I'll post a link and either lawls at myself or say I told you so.
Thus accomplish what exactly? We're not going to stroke your e-peen because you made a simple guess and then later it was found to be fact(if that happens), you're not the only one who read that story and made this exact same guess.

Moving on, I probably will not purchase this if it comes out. I will stick to my DSi until it breaks or I decide to sell it. I was never really a fan of 3-D movies and other 3-D things these days so there is a small chance this will be to my liking. Backwards compatibility is a great feature, but that with 3-D doesn't really hook me as to why that is better than the DSi. But I guess this will be the new trend now: first it was everything had to be thin, then touch screens, and now I guess it's 3-D.

ya Its obvious that the '3DS' is gonna be an EPIC FAIL like the Virtual Boy
and Gen V will be released on that... which means no direct connectivity to Gen V!!!
:(

and Gen V will be released on that... which means no direct connectivity to Gen V!!!
When there is complete backwards compatibility like how the DS with the GBA was, there has to be some kind of trading connectivity. And the games won't go to it. Fuck, I'm willing to bet the whole forums will rage at the site of a DS title, cause they're so fucking sure of it.

it sounds almost like an internet fake, if big T.V's with top technology cannot even create 3D effects without glasses ._.

Don't know if your being sarcastic or not, but there is no proof of that at all, so unless you are being sarcastic, best leave comments like that until the console is released and you know for sure or not. Besides if it can play DS games, 99% sure you can still connect to other DS's and internet via wifi/wireless given that it looks similar to current DSi except for the other features that differs.

it sounds almost like an internet fake, if big T.V's with top technology cannot even create 3D effects without glasses ._.

See this link (see video): http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/9954/

You move the DS a to produce the 3D effect on screen so you don't need glasses, its different with a TV as you can't move it like that and why you need 3D glasses with a TV to reproduce the 3D effects on 3D TV games and programs. Basically the DS gives you a feel of 3D perspective when you move the DS at certian angles.

Well, it's obvious why you don't work for Nintendo. I love how people are willing to go around bashing anything new, though... especially when they lack any ideas of their own. After the Virtual Boy, do you really think Nintendo would go back to 3-D if they weren't sure it would work this time? The 3DS is also going to be using an entirely different implementation of stereoscopic 3-D than the VB used, so I don't foresee a problem.

Even if Gen V does come out for the 3DS, it's easily possible to allow trading back to a Gen IV DS game. If this were still the days of link cables it may not have been so easy, but since all communication is done over wireless these days they just need to make the protocols used by the new games compatible with the old ones. The 3DS will have no problem communicating with regular DS wireless, as it's going fully backwards compatibility with all DS/DSi games.

See this link (see video): http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/9954/

You move the DS a to produce the 3D effect on screen so you don't need glasses, its different with a TV as you can't move it like that and why you need 3D glasses with a TV to reproduce the 3D effects on 3D TV games and programs. Basically the DS gives you a feel of 3D perspective when you move the DS at certian angles.

That's likely not to be the type of 3-D the new handheld is going to use. For one, that's just a DSi running some DSiware that uses the camera as a motion tracker. There's no way Nintendo would use that as a wide-spread feature on a new handheld; the two big reasons being that it requires a well-lit playing area, and not everyone wants to wave their handhelds around like an idiot out in public.

The indications so far is that Nintendo is going to be using Sharp's Parallax Barrier LCD technology. Essentially, the screen features a layer that does the work of what would normally be accomplished with polarising glasses... reflecting slightly different images to each eye. Sharp's version of this technology features the ability to be turned on and off at will, so that 3-D won't by any means be an "always-on" features of the 3DS:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/12/3d_illusion/

3dlcd.gif

Last edited:

I don't like 3D. It looks funny on the eyes, and who says that games aren't 3D enough anyway?

Well we can't be sure that the 5th Generation will be on the Nintendo 3DS. We just have to wait and see.

i would be more excited for the 3DS... if some of the rumoured/confirmed features didnt happen. unless they can be controlled or have a limit to their use, then it wont be... terrible.

When this was first rumoured as the DS2, talk of an accelerometer was big. This, i dislike. If I can't play pokemon while sitting in a car on long trips... that would make me sadface. The accelerometer is my least favourite part of my iTouch, specifically because most of my game-apps dont work on the run. (on another, different rant... why do legitamite gaming companies FEAR iPhones/iTouches as game console competition... its ridiculous! there are reasons why i ring my ds everywhere and not my iTouch..)

the 3d doesnt sound favourable for me. Stigmatism = sadface, though without the need for glasses using my own glasses prob helps id assume. still, i dont want cheezy, pop off the screen WOAAHHHHHH effects, unless they're done correctly. If watching Avatar for almost 3 hours is any indicator, how can i play my DS for hours on end (say, on car trips. 7 hours in a vehicle= 7 hours of DS straight) without severe eye pain?

me no post in long time! This seems cool but confusing. It's also sad since my 5 year old bro cant see in 3-d due to stigmatism. He is a uge fane of pokemon!
I am so sorry about that, he is missing out on a major technological feature. I know several people that get very bad migraines and several other side effects due to the way 3D is animated. They really should make some sort of alternative method to play the games or have some sort of option so that they don't lose customers.

GBA games continued to be released after the DS Phat came out; that really isn't an indication of anything.

The most likely release date is sometime around the end of this year, to take advantage of the holiday shopping season. We could be looking at a launch as soon as Oct/Nov.
You are correct there, they may just end up finishing the releases of the DS titles while the new Generation Handheld is out so they finish up the season.

That release date sounds like the best time to release a new handheld as that is what has happened in the past so they get all the sales just in time for the holiday season. I just hope it doesn't end up the same as it did when they released the Nintendo DS, it was just really chaotic.

be an EPIC FAIL like the Virtual Boy
I have heard the Virtual Boy mentioned several times, what exactly is it?

As someone has already said, they could always make another sort of dual slot feature. As long as they stay wireless though it should be no problem for connectivity as they don't need any special cords or anything.

virtualboy.jpg

It was the biggest piece of shit ever made. I owned one for a short time back in the 90's. And all it was was the red thing that looked like a pair of binoculars. And it had the worst graphics ever. I was only ten when I played it. It wasn't good at all. It was a complete letdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom