• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo Directs Thread

OMG! New Metroid and new Zelda! I'm not a fan of this Metroid's 2-D scrolling system though (okay, I don't really like the first-person shooter Prime series style as well, but I was sort of expecting something not so platform-like xD).

Too bad this Breath of the Wild 2 is coming only in 2022, it's one of the games I've been waiting the most ever since I beat the first one.

Yessss I FINALLY got the Danganronpa port I've been dreaming of <3 Cannot freaking wait. AND MARIO PARTY SUPERSTARS?! HELLO?! When I tell you I literally cried lmao. The N64 Mario Party games remain some of my favorite games of all time and getting to see several of the boards and minigames all together in one beautifully remastered game is just...gah, the nostalgia :') I may not have gotten everything I wanted out of this direct but with these two things I'm pretty damn pleased.

No Pokémon news, but the Advance Wars remakes looks cool. I might not be able to pick up Danganronpa, but I once half jokingly predicted that it would be ported to the Switch. I also predicted WarioWare coming back, so kudos to me, I guess. There was one game (I forgot the name, but it was about building a college campus or something) that looked interesting. Mario Golf looks really fun. Last thing, idk anything about Tekken, apart from Pokken Tournament, but good job for the Smash rep, Tekken.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied. Nintendo definitely won E3 this year!

I wasn't interested in the Smash DLC fighter. I keep hoping for a more cartoony character? A furry? Or someone with a larger than life humorous personality. I really hope the last is Crash.

We had some nice new game reveals. Definitely excited for a new Metroid, Super Monkey Ball, Wario Ware, and Mario Party. Metroid Dread especially looks amazing. The EMMI are terrifying and I'm glad the stealth element from Fusion returns. Also I'm pumped to actually play Mario Party online.

I'm REALLY excited and thrilled we got an update for Breath of The Wild 2. Seeing that a great chunk of the game will be focused in the sky really gets me pumped. Now the HD release of Skyward Sword makes sense. Hoping we'll see the ruins of Skyloft or a revamped one, along with the Loftwings.

I'm disappointed there was nothing on Pokemon's upcoming games, but I imagine we'll get a Pokemon Presents soon. Also disappointed we got no news on Bayonetta 3, a game that's LONG OVERDUE for an update.

Overall the best presentation of E3 and a pretty solid Direct.

I'm glad they finally showed what was up with that hand from the previous trailer.

Heh, I actually just got into Danganronpa recently. What timing. :whistle: And I’m very curious to see how else BOTW2 differentiates itself from the original. Everything else wasn’t really to my taste, but I recognize that there was some pretty exciting stuff here for a lot of people.

Honestly if anything disappointed me, it wasn’t the lack of Pokémon, but rather the lack of Animal Crossing. I mean, I guess with the way the game is selling, they don’t exactly need to inject major new content as soon as possible; the game obviously has great legs. But personally speaking, I just do not care about playing it anymore; everything interesting to do has completely dried up. I would love for something to shake up the gameplay loop a little.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Direct. Big hitters for me were the Dangonronpa ports, Metroid Dread, Mario + Rabbids 2, and Warioware. Slightly less cool but still cool for me was Advance Wars, Mario Golf, the Mario Party classic collection, Monkey Ball Remaster, and the Age of Calamity DLC. SMT5 looks interesting but I'd probably play SMT3 first since it's on the system already. Breath of the Wild 2 info was pretty cool as well, but the 2022 release window leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully now that we've got a release window for the game, we'll see more and more information as we get closer to release.

Besides that, though, the Direct was full of ports and remasters of old games. Some of the new titles shown looked pretty cool, and what we got made me view the Direct in a positive light. I'd still put the Direct at about a B+, but what was more worrisome was what we did not see, as others above have mentioned. The lack of Animal Crossing is somewhat odd given the huge sales, and what better time to put out a free Zelda-themed anniversary update like they did for Mario? Even more scary however is the lack of Bayonetta 3; Platinum had plenty to reveal at this year's E3, but Bayonetta 3 was not amongst it, which makes me scared that something happened during development. And, even though the Direct was software-focused, it was somewhat sad not to see a Switch Pro reveal.

Despite this, however, this Direct really did fill out the rest of the year for Nintendo and gave a look towards next year as well. In terms of major releases, we have more than one a month on average until the end of the year:
  • June: Mario Golf
  • July: Skyward Sword HD, Monster Hunter Stories 2
  • August: No More Heroes 3
  • September: Warioware
  • October: Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars
  • November: SMT5, Pokemon BDSP
  • December: Advance Wars Remaster
This is a pretty balanced lineup in the first party, with a hearty dose of RPGs and adventure-style games. Notably missing from this list is a platformer; I would not be surprised if we get a late August/early September direct with the reveal of a platformer for release sometime in December (most likely the next Kirby entry).

Looking ahead to next year, my best guess is that Nintendo is aiming to have three heavy hitters staggered throughout the year that will drive sales forward: Pokemon Legends at the beginning, Splatoon 3 in the middle, and BOTW 2 at the end. Supplement this with Bayonetta, Hollow Knight Silksong, and potentially a new Mario or Mario Kart, and you've already got yourself a pretty solid 2022 lineup as well.

It's a great time to be a Nintendo fan.

You know, I think Platinum Games should have waited to announce Bayonetta 3. I mean we're nearly 4 years in and there has been no news or anything other than "Development is going great!" No concept art, no screenshots, no new details. Nothing. Honestly, they probably shouldn't have announced the game until the knew they'd have a playable build ready within a year or two after the announcement.

Hopefully, they will reveal more things they have teased so long ago.

Expectations: A final Metroid Dread update, though I hope they don't spend too much time on it cause they've had A LOT of updates over Twitter. A new update on Mario Party Superstars. Advanced Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp news. An update on Shin Megami Tensei V. Potentially Splatoon 3 news. DLC for Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros, Mario Golf, and MAYBE Animal Crossing.

I'm HOPING for Pokemon BDSP and Legends Arceus news. I do hope there's some big surprises for early 2022. There's rumors of a new Donkey Kong and Xenoblade game. out there. I don't expect to see much of BoTW2 since its very likely Holiday 2022.

Last edited:
Honestly while I am a little hopeful for a tiny bit of Pokemon news, I don't see us getting anything huge if anything since they just had a major news dump a month ago. Happy to be wrong though. For once I'm more excited just for the Direct in general this time around. MH Stories 2 really taught me that stepping away from Pokemon every once in a while is good, would like to see what else I might wanna try soon.

I'd like a dub reveal for SMT V. I'd go with a new trailer but I'd prefer if Atlus didn't reveal everything before release. Maybe a teaser Xenoblade 3 as well? Apparently it's been in development for a while but it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Back
Top Bottom