• If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Nintendo Directs Thread

System Error

Given power
Reaction score
The biggest thing for me wasn't even on the English direct: way out of friggin nowhere, a new Super Robot Wars game was confirmed. Coming out this year.

- Zeta Gundam
- Char's Counterattack
- Getter Robo Armageddon
- Mazinger Z Infinity
- Combattler V
- GaoGaiGar Final
- Code Geass: Resurrection (or the movies, conflicting reports)

Was not expecting Combattler in HD, and the other two are icing on the cake

Next biggest thing was definitely the Advance Wars remake. Also out of left field, good excuse to play it. Third place is Metroid V.

Daren

Hail to the king, baby
Reaction score
Advance Wars is alive?!

Finally, some BOTW 2 news. I hadn't considered going into the sky , but in retrospect it makes sense.

A bit surprised there was nothing on the DP remakes, though.

Ryoma Maser

"IWAE!!!!"
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/him/they.
I've lost hope on Bayonetta 3 at this point. In the four years since that Platinum has announced it they literally announced and developed games that released in half that time. Like seriously not even an update on development or say look towards this date, seriously Kamiya and Platinum? I just want this game already and I've been waiting for f---ing something.

Otherwise, a decent but otherwise not the best E3, finally happy Namco got their second Smash character that should've been in Fighters Pass 1 or sooner than Steve in FP2. 2D Metroid is back, I was expecting a Fusion remake but Dread takes after Fusion it looks like so that's cool ports and stuff I wasn't expecting like Fatal Frame.

Even though it was lackluster still a lot I might pick up.

Also I wish there was way more on Breath of the Wild 2, at least a new title card. Also playable Zelda might be likely due to Link using his new Guardian arm instead of the Slate.

Aulos

Sappho's Friend
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
She / Her
Before I comment, I'll just put it out there that I think this was a great Direct, even if a lot of it wasn't for me.

-Super Smash Bros: Really not interested in this at all. I dropped the game a long time ago, because these DLC characters just aren't exciting. People complain about anime swordsman characters, but they overlook the number of bulky fighter brawlers we're getting saturated with.

-Mario Party: Actually, I kinda want this. I played the N64 Mario Party games a lot as a kid, and the remade boards and mini-games look really gorgeous.

-Metroid Dread: I'm really happy that Metroid fans are getting a brand new game. The series is not for me, but I know this was major.

-SMTV: I've only played one Atlus game and that's Persona 5. I would like to get into more of them, and I know Persona is a spinoff of SMT, so it might be worth checking out.

-Wario Ware: Not for me, but I'm glad WW fans are getting a new entry.

-Advance Wars: I've never played it and it's probably not for me given how bad I am at strategy games, but, nevertheless, this was a major reveal. A revival of a series that has been dead for a very long time. It is exciting for that reason alone.

-BOTW2: It looks great, and it's fantastic to see more of it for the first time in two years. However, it's not coming out until next year at earliest, which means it is a long way out.

Ultimately, I acknowledge this was a great Direct. A lot of people have a lot to look forward to, but I'm still not one of them. This year still remains rather barren, with third party titles like The Great Ace Attorney collection and maybe the SMTV game (maybe) being all that's really there for me. There is Mario Party Superstars, but that's it? Really?

This just makes the disappointment that is the Diamond/Pearl remakes sting so much more. Because the year really needed them.

Norzan

Reaction score
Metroid Dread apparently is the game that has been in development hell for 15 years. And i'm excited because the premise always sounded cool, specially the emphasis on horror.

Galactic_TLS

Truth Seekers' 14th Branch Soldier - Aria Starkia
Reaction score
OMG! New Metroid and new Zelda! I'm not a fan of this Metroid's 2-D scrolling system though (okay, I don't really like the first-person shooter Prime series style as well, but I was sort of expecting something not so platform-like xD).

Too bad this Breath of the Wild 2 is coming only in 2022, it's one of the games I've been waiting the most ever since I beat the first one.

Insanish Danish

oh wow, sports
Reaction score
Yessss I FINALLY got the Danganronpa port I've been dreaming of <3 Cannot freaking wait. AND MARIO PARTY SUPERSTARS?! HELLO?! When I tell you I literally cried lmao. The N64 Mario Party games remain some of my favorite games of all time and getting to see several of the boards and minigames all together in one beautifully remastered game is just...gah, the nostalgia :') I may not have gotten everything I wanted out of this direct but with these two things I'm pretty damn pleased.

more than a torchic

The Mega Multishipper of Miroir Way
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
She/They
No Pokémon news, but the Advance Wars remakes looks cool. I might not be able to pick up Danganronpa, but I once half jokingly predicted that it would be ported to the Switch. I also predicted WarioWare coming back, so kudos to me, I guess. There was one game (I forgot the name, but it was about building a college campus or something) that looked interesting. Mario Golf looks really fun. Last thing, idk anything about Tekken, apart from Pokken Tournament, but good job for the Smash rep, Tekken.

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
Overall, I'm pretty satisfied. Nintendo definitely won E3 this year!

I wasn't interested in the Smash DLC fighter. I keep hoping for a more cartoony character? A furry? Or someone with a larger than life humorous personality. I really hope the last is Crash.

We had some nice new game reveals. Definitely excited for a new Metroid, Super Monkey Ball, Wario Ware, and Mario Party. Metroid Dread especially looks amazing. The EMMI are terrifying and I'm glad the stealth element from Fusion returns. Also I'm pumped to actually play Mario Party online.

I'm REALLY excited and thrilled we got an update for Breath of The Wild 2. Seeing that a great chunk of the game will be focused in the sky really gets me pumped. Now the HD release of Skyward Sword makes sense. Hoping we'll see the ruins of Skyloft or a revamped one, along with the Loftwings.

I'm disappointed there was nothing on Pokemon's upcoming games, but I imagine we'll get a Pokemon Presents soon. Also disappointed we got no news on Bayonetta 3, a game that's LONG OVERDUE for an update.

Overall the best presentation of E3 and a pretty solid Direct.

Poke Dragon

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
I'm glad they finally showed what was up with that hand from the previous trailer.

Esserise

A Solidly Ossified Braincase
Reaction score
Heh, I actually just got into Danganronpa recently. What timing. :whistle: And I’m very curious to see how else BOTW2 differentiates itself from the original. Everything else wasn’t really to my taste, but I recognize that there was some pretty exciting stuff here for a lot of people.

Honestly if anything disappointed me, it wasn’t the lack of Pokémon, but rather the lack of Animal Crossing. I mean, I guess with the way the game is selling, they don’t exactly need to inject major new content as soon as possible; the game obviously has great legs. But personally speaking, I just do not care about playing it anymore; everything interesting to do has completely dried up. I would love for something to shake up the gameplay loop a little.

TheCapsFan

Flowers for Vases
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Overall, I'm very pleased with the Direct. Big hitters for me were the Dangonronpa ports, Metroid Dread, Mario + Rabbids 2, and Warioware. Slightly less cool but still cool for me was Advance Wars, Mario Golf, the Mario Party classic collection, Monkey Ball Remaster, and the Age of Calamity DLC. SMT5 looks interesting but I'd probably play SMT3 first since it's on the system already. Breath of the Wild 2 info was pretty cool as well, but the 2022 release window leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully now that we've got a release window for the game, we'll see more and more information as we get closer to release.

Besides that, though, the Direct was full of ports and remasters of old games. Some of the new titles shown looked pretty cool, and what we got made me view the Direct in a positive light. I'd still put the Direct at about a B+, but what was more worrisome was what we did not see, as others above have mentioned. The lack of Animal Crossing is somewhat odd given the huge sales, and what better time to put out a free Zelda-themed anniversary update like they did for Mario? Even more scary however is the lack of Bayonetta 3; Platinum had plenty to reveal at this year's E3, but Bayonetta 3 was not amongst it, which makes me scared that something happened during development. And, even though the Direct was software-focused, it was somewhat sad not to see a Switch Pro reveal.

Despite this, however, this Direct really did fill out the rest of the year for Nintendo and gave a look towards next year as well. In terms of major releases, we have more than one a month on average until the end of the year:
  • June: Mario Golf
  • July: Skyward Sword HD, Monster Hunter Stories 2
  • August: No More Heroes 3
  • September: Warioware
  • October: Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars
  • November: SMT5, Pokemon BDSP
  • December: Advance Wars Remaster
This is a pretty balanced lineup in the first party, with a hearty dose of RPGs and adventure-style games. Notably missing from this list is a platformer; I would not be surprised if we get a late August/early September direct with the reveal of a platformer for release sometime in December (most likely the next Kirby entry).

Looking ahead to next year, my best guess is that Nintendo is aiming to have three heavy hitters staggered throughout the year that will drive sales forward: Pokemon Legends at the beginning, Splatoon 3 in the middle, and BOTW 2 at the end. Supplement this with Bayonetta, Hollow Knight Silksong, and potentially a new Mario or Mario Kart, and you've already got yourself a pretty solid 2022 lineup as well.

It's a great time to be a Nintendo fan.

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
You know, I think Platinum Games should have waited to announce Bayonetta 3. I mean we're nearly 4 years in and there has been no news or anything other than "Development is going great!" No concept art, no screenshots, no new details. Nothing. Honestly, they probably shouldn't have announced the game until the knew they'd have a playable build ready within a year or two after the announcement.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 months ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.