• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo Directs Thread

Fluttershy of Light

Star Guardian Ahri
Reaction score
IMG_20180905_104753.jpg

With another Nintendo Direct announced for Tomorrow at 6pm ET we decided to just keep one active thread open for Nintendo Directs so this one will remain open. Even after discussion of this one has ended.

But for now let's focus on this one :p. What are your predictions for this direct and what do you hope to see in the direct? Will we get another trolling end to a likely Smash trailer by Sakurai?

Unfortunately due to the earthquake in Japan the Direct has been postponed.. Iirc no date has been given yet..

Was able to watch the Direct after work and I really loved the Final Fantasy segment, though once again my fav VIII is pushed aside for VII, IX, and X for classics (I like them too but I want VIII on Switch so bad). Anyway the new Game Freak game Town looks cute and fun, definitely on the look out for that. And it's nice to see Isabelle make it in Smash, she'll be another character I'll definitely play as a lot.

Don't have a Switch but maybe now I can get my best friend into Final Fantasy! I was hoping WoFF Maxima was a sequel to WoFF but seeing Zack was good enough for me! It's also coming for PS4.

Also, the online play subscription is much cheaper than I thought it would be.

Aside from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, also happy to know about the Mega Man amiibo function for Mega Man 11 which was also revealed.

All those Final Fantasy reveals... I notice FF8 didn't get any mention, but who cares about 8? Not me. But I'm definitely looking forward to the remaster of Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon. It's one of the games I wanted to (but didn't) find during its day.

And a remaster of Katamari Damacy? I just hope they fixed the cow and bear levels.

Final Fantasy 8 and 10 sounds good. They were my first two FF games for me, so I'm glad they're going to be on the Switch. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Well today's direct 2/13/19 just finished streaming. Seems like this one was a hit or miss for a lot of people, though I'm very excited for Rune Factory 4 & 5 and Astral Chain looks so cool, definitely gonna keep an eye out for that one.

Loved how we got more info for FE Three Houses, though I'm kinda disappointed that Byleth turned out to be an Avatar after all, oh well I'll just use his default male design then. Also I'm glad we can choose which house to teach/align with, definitely going with the Golden Deer house cause of my boy Claude (also the house names remind me of Black Clover magic knight squads lol). Coming out July 26, most definitely picking it up day one! (also the chat was toxic towards it, now I'm hoping a Three Houses character comes into Smash for DLC just to see more salt lol)

Can't forget that FFIX came out on the Switch today, VII is coming next month though on the 26th. Gonna download IX tonight cause that game is just too good. (still salty about no FFVIII re-release though)

Well, they definitely started it off with a bang, right? The announcement of Super Mario Maker 2 in the summer!
From what I saw in the trailer, here are some of the things I'm most hyped about:
  • New themes (Forest, Snow, Desert -- also including the SMB3 angry sun)
  • New stage elements like sloped ground and clear pipes (any object will transport through them)
  • Autoscroll stages with camera control -- or maybe camera control just in general? (Would make isolated secret rooms easier to design)
  • New themed powerups (e.g. NSMB Cat Mario)
  • 2P co-op?

And Tetris Battle royale 99 looks fun. If my history with Tetris DS is any indication, I know I'm generally in the top third when it comes to random matchups.

Aside from that, apparently Ch.1 of Deltarune (Undertale sequel) is available for free, later chapters to be released for purchase later. Oh, and the "censored" trailer was hilarious.
Not TOO hilarious, mind you. Just how it had that bit of self-aware humor that Toby Fox is known for.

And apparently Joker is being added to Smash Bros. in March or April with the 3.0 Spring update?

Astral Chain looks awesome, and it's by Platinum and Kamiya.

Not too hyped about the HD remake of Link's Awakening, but then I was never particularly thrilled with it. It was "just" a solid Zelda game.

So far, here's what I'm looking forward to:

• Super Mario Maker 2
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 (not shown)
I've also been hearing people were FURIOUS at the Direct. Sheesh, when I see a game I'm not interested in, I just go "meh" and wait for it to pass.

I am glad that we can choose which Gender we want to play as in FE3H.. though I'm curious if Wyvern riders are in the game. We didn't see a symbol for Wyvern riders in the game just Flyer which would be Pegasus rider unless they are combined... though it could have been just for a female character so it's still up in the air.. literally :p

Tetris 99 is way more addictive than I expected. Definitely a pleasant surprise from the Direct, even if I get my butt handed to me most of the time (8th place is my best, I usually hover around 20th or so). Since the NES games on the Switch are lame, this is a nice way to make the subscribers happy (though I'm still waiting on SNES games!).

Daemon x Machina is looking good, and I still need to get around to trying the demo. I've seen some people say it feels too slow and that the framerate has some issues in handheld in particular, but I never play handheld anyway and some people have said upgrades on the legs of the Arsenal help the speed issue, so I'm sure it'll be fine to me.

Super Mario Maker 2 looks good! I only barely played the original because I had a hard time coming up with stages that I felt proud enough to finish, but I do like the new additions (like my childhood enemy, the Angry Sun). No Super Mario Bros. 2 (US) style, though...? I know that game plays differently enough from the others that implementing it might be tough, but I'm fond of that game and would like to see it. Super Mario Land 2-style would be neat too, another old favorite of mine on the GB.

Rune Factory!!!! AHHHHHH!!! I almost literally screamed when they showed the enhanced version of 4 because I LOVE that game, and then a 5th game announced too? Honestly, this was the high point of the Direct for me; I'd always hoped the series could come back even if the dev studio went bankrupt or whatever. I'd been thinking about replaying RF4 lately, but looks like I'll just wait for the Switch version instead! Still gonna marry Doug just like last time though lol.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses looks mostly good! I'm optimistic about the game, and I don't mind the academy setting since - though I hate it in anime - I like that in video games what with FF: Type-0 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 being some games I really enjoy (VC2 is my fave VC game actually, truly an unpopular opinion lmao). My only major issues are that I really wish they'd drop the "Avatar" thing; it's a shame because I like m!Byleth's design a lot, but would prefer him to be his own character entirely than some weird thing for people to self-insert onto... even though it's like impossible for me to self-insert in FE frankly. Too much attention to the whole "this is your story" thing in the trailer for that reason. Also finding some of the other playable units we saw quick glimpses of kinda dull-looking, but I'm sure there will be someone for me to latch on to when I play the game myself lol. Oh, and not sure why the CG cutscenes are like the janky Shadow of Valentia ones over the really smooth Awakening/Fates ones; I'd take SoV any day over Fates and Awakening... except when it comes to those cutscenes. Whatever though, a decent story will be fine even with some choppy cutscenes, and Three Houses has promise in that regard since I'm sure there will be something interesting to tear the eponymous Three Houses apart and make for some interesting conflict. Gameplay looks solid as usual too, and even better if daggers and their annoying debuffs seem to be gone. Sounds like a little too much freedom in regards to customizing your army with the certification exams... but I felt the same about stuff like the seals to class change in Awakening/Fates and eventually got used to it, so it's probably fine. I kinda preferred when every character was mostly locked into a class though in older games, but no biggie. Glad that the child units seem to be gone, and that - so far - there seems to be less of a "shipping" emphasis on the game. Please have more platonic supports if anything!

Link's Awakening remake! Knew immediately from the moment we see Link in that storm that it was a remake of LA, and I LOVE the artstyle they went with! Reminds me of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, in a good way! I prefer 3D Zelda, but still enjoy the 2D ones, so I'll definitely be picking this one up. Kinda curious what the price will be though; Link's Awakening isn't a super long game that I can remember, so something like that on a console seems like a hard sell for $60 in the US. Unless they add some extra content and it's not just a 1:1 remake with a new coat of paint.

Some of the other games shown looked somewhat interesting (Oninaka, Astral Chain) too. All in all, a pretty good Direct, even if there was no Animal Crossing shown. could've done without that super boring and long Dragon Quest segment, but cool for the fans of that series and it gave me time to go check ResetEra to see reactions to the Direct so far lol

I don't play Rune Factory myself, but I'm happy for the fans who want a new game and that the remastered version of 4 is coming! I'm mostly excited about Oninaki. It already looks so much better than Tokyo RPG Factory's previous fare. Here's hoping the characters, story, and gameplay have improved as well...and that they nix the whole Spritnite and Momentum mechanics. Those were way too tedious and hard to follow, IMHO.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses looks mostly good! I'm optimistic about the game, and I don't mind the academy setting since - though I hate it in anime - I like that in video games what with FF: Type-0 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 being some games I really enjoy (VC2 is my fave VC game actually, truly an unpopular opinion lmao). My only major issues are that I really wish they'd drop the "Avatar" thing; it's a shame because I like m!Byleth's design a lot, but would prefer him to be his own character entirely than some weird thing for people to self-insert onto... even though it's like impossible for me to self-insert in FE frankly. Too much attention to the whole "this is your story" thing in the trailer for that reason. Also finding some of the other playable units we saw quick glimpses of kinda dull-looking, but I'm sure there will be someone for me to latch on to when I play the game myself lol. Oh, and not sure why the CG cutscenes are like the janky Shadow of Valentia ones over the really smooth Awakening/Fates ones; I'd take SoV any day over Fates and Awakening... except when it comes to those cutscenes. Whatever though, a decent story will be fine even with some choppy cutscenes, and Three Houses has promise in that regard since I'm sure there will be something interesting to tear the eponymous Three Houses apart and make for some interesting conflict. Gameplay looks solid as usual too, and even better if daggers and their annoying debuffs seem to be gone. Sounds like a little too much freedom in regards to customizing your army with the certification exams... but I felt the same about stuff like the seals to class change in Awakening/Fates and eventually got used to it, so it's probably fine. I kinda preferred when every character was mostly locked into a class though in older games, but no biggie. Glad that the child units seem to be gone, and that - so far - there seems to be less of a "shipping" emphasis on the game. Please have more platonic supports if anything!
Yeah I'm loving the academy setting too, especially since FF Type-0 is a game I really like also (haven't played too much of VC2 yet but from what I have played of it I liked it too). I'm really hoping though that we don't get to romance any students (I know they are, or at least close to, adults but still), it'd just feel weird like Fates did with our adopted siblings and Corrin's biological cousin. :/ If we do have romance, then I'm hoping they save it for other teachers and the like. I honestly don't mind shipping at all, but I'd love to play through this new installment without having it shoved in our face (I love GotHW approach with romance though tbh), but if they do I'll just ignore it then at least. As for the cutscenes I'm indifferent, though I do agree they could be a bit better but like you said, a decent story would be better anyway. hoping for FE17 we don't an avatar, people can "self insert" themselves with an established, non-customizable character just as well

That was a little disappointing. I was hoping for some information about the new Animal Crossing (especially since they included it as part of Isabelle's Smash reveal trailer) or Pikmin 4.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom