• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo Directs Thread

Yeah, there just wasn't much in this Direct for me. I'd like to try the new Dragon Quest, but waiting until fall for the game on the Switch when I can probably get it for half off on the PS4 in a sale months before makes that wait too much.

I don't care about pretty much anything else from the Direct. Animal Crossing being absent was really disappointing (now we'll probably have to wait until E3 to actually see it at all. sigh). I get that this Direct had content, it just had nothing for me. It's a shame since this year will supposedly have both Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

Speaking of Tetris 99...what's the point of the level system? Do we unlock anything?

Quite selfishly the only things I would've cared about in this direct were Animal Crossing and Pikmin 4, neither of which made an appearance.

That new Zelda looks adorable and I love the bit of music we got to hear in the trailer. Too bad it's a remake though... I've not been keen on remakes lately....

That new Zelda looks adorable and I love the bit of music we got to hear in the trailer. Too bad it's a remake though... I've not been keen on remakes lately....

If the OST turns out to be that woodwind heavy I might have to check it out. =P But yeah, the game actually has a beautiful artstyle, but I just can't get myself excited over a 2D Zelda. ALBW did nothing for me.

I must have missed that announcement.

I heard that Pikmin 4 was almost finished and that was years ago.

I must have missed that announcement.

I heard that Pikmin 4 was almost finished and that was years ago.
Eeehhh... I'd have to do some digging (which I'm too lazy for at the moment) but I feel like there was an interview or something where they were asked if HP was Pikmin 4 and the answer was no. If I find it later I'll come back with the source.

So about Super Mario Maker 2, one of the finer details in the two vertical sections in the trailer is the lack of any horizontal camera tracking. So either it's a one-screen-wide sub-area off the main level, or it's indeed a section oriented vertically. Hopeful for vertical sections (even if restricted to the sub-area(s)), but we will have to see more footage to confirm what.

Of all those games showcased in the Nindies Direct...I just want Cuphead for Switch, as I’d previously feared would never happen.

What immediately hooked me was the Zelda Crypt of the Necrodancer game. o_o Like, most of the other indies shown were ok, but I'm not a huge fan of platformers and some others shown didn't catch my attention much, but this one was a must have.

As for Link's Awakening, I hope that the added content includes a modernisation of the story, which would be barebones by today's standards. Adding some much needed lore of the Wind Fish and the Nightmares, and adding more dialogue elabourating character's personality would be much needed. Bring the story and the lore up to Skyward Sword/Breath of the Wild standards, and I'll be interested in playing again.

Especially considering that the top boss of Eagle's Tower left a cryptic line upon his defeat, in how the island will disappear if Link defeats the villains, was he more misguided than evil? (See the Theory section of this page.)
"My energy... gone...I...lost! But you will be lost too, if the Wind Fish wakes! Same as me...you ...are...in... his...dream... "

What immediately hooked me was the Zelda Crypt of the Necrodancer game. o_o Like, most of the other indies shown were ok, but I'm not a huge fan of platformers and some others shown didn't catch my attention much, but this one was a must have.
It was actually revealed in the March Direct, but yeah, that was basically my first reaction to it as well.

The 9/4 Direct was pretty good!

The highlights for me:
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons still looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it next year.
  • Deadly Premonition 2 holy bajeesus this exists! I really liked the first Deadly Premonition, so this was very exciting! I didn't see any leaks about this one (just people mentioned Deadly Premonition sometimes on some sites, which I just thought was some inside joke I was missing lol), so I was sitting there like, "Is that York holy crap is this Deadly Premonition" Having the first one on Switch is also really nice, I hope more people give the game a shot!
  • Banjo & Kazooie releasing tonight in Smash, woo! I already expected Terry as DLC from leaks; I don't really mind one way or another with him. I at least like him more than Hero lol, so I'm fine with him. I hope that the extra DLC past the Fighter Pass has more actual Nintendo 1st-party fighters though, I'm not generally as big on 3rd-party ones like this entire Pass has been (though I wouldn't object to Leon Kennedy, Nero, or - my dream fighter - Vyse from Skies of Arcadia).
  • SNES games on NSO!! FINALLY!! I've been waiting for this for a more convenient replay of Link to the Past, which I've been itching to play again. I'm also a HUGE fan of the original Super Mario Kart since it was my first one, so I'll be getting some use out of that. That soundtrack in Super Mario Kart is one of my favorites.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition was immediately obvious to me the moment I heard the gorgeous title theme from XC. Though I've STILL never actually finished the Wii version (what's new, I have so many games I've left unfinished despite enjoying them lol), I had a great time with what I played of the game, which was up to Eryth Sea I think. Though I have no interest in XC2 on Switch, I'll try to pick this one up next year when it releases (I just... cannot stand the character designs in XC2, it's just so much less down-to-earth than XC that it really kills it for me. I know, that's hilariously hypocritical from a Final Fantasy fan like me).
  • Pokemon SwSh's customization features are nice, and honestly that's a huge deal to me since I loved customizing my trainer in XY (not so much in Sun and Moon, which focused way too much on hot weather clothing that I don't like). The new teapot Pokemon was cute, too. I'm not, like, SUPER hype for SwSh because I've been burned too many times with this series since OR/AS barf sounds, but it looks good enough so far.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 is still looking fun and I'm looking forward to it, even if I still think the first game appears to have better atmosphere (I think it's just hard to surpass the mansion). However, this looks leaps and BOUNDS better than Dark Moon, and I'm pretty confident it'll be a fun game.

I'm just gonna move my birthday ahead by five days, so it'll be on November 15 instead of 10.

I enjoyed the direct, no megaton announcements but a lot of nice smaller surprises and updates

I'm real excited for the Xenoblade Chronicles remaster. The trailer showed off the Bionis Shoulder area too, which was scrapped from the original game late in development (remember the strange teleport between the nopon village and Eryth Sea? It was supposed to go there for a smoother transition between areas)

SNES games being added to NSO is great, especially since it's at no added cost and there's 20 straight up at launch

Terry isn't a character I'm really at all familiar with, but SNK getting Smash representation is very well deserved, so that's really cool to see.

And of course, Sans Undertale in Smash as a Mii costume was a delightful surprise. Amazing to see an indie like that get that kind of representation.

So yeah, overall pretty good. Special mention to Sakurai's segment at the end, which was hilarious. Play Banjo on Xbox, kids!

Edit: Oh yeah, completely forgot about Jedi Knight II! It's the only Star Wars game I've ever played but I thought it was fantastic back on Gamecube. No idea what it's doing on Switch but I'm happy to see it. I'll absolutely be picking it up for a replay when it releases.

Animal Crossing New Horizons looks so good! Of course, it already looked so good in E3. I love the ability to place presumably any furniture outside anywhere. That is a massive improvement over New Leaf's clunky PWP system.

I was kind of shocked to see it here, though. I gave it about a 50% chance of showing up in this Direct, since it is a March title. They didn't really reveal much new information, but raised my hype up anyway... For a game that isn't coming out until March. sigh Maybe that's why they usually hold off on showing games. lol

New Horizons is the most hype game for me personally.

I'm sorry, I just...don't understand the need for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. Like, I would have much rather have Monolith Soft put their resources into doing a Xenoblade 3 or porting X than the original. And I know there's the whole argument about it being really really expensive to port X to the Switch, but honestly if you're putting all these resources into porting the original, how much more do you really need to port X?

Back
Top Bottom