• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo Directs Thread

The thing that really frustrates me is knowing even with COVID-19, companies like Sony have been able to hold major events. Nintendo has had games in development before the virus that they probably could show off, and they have been able to produce content for Smash Bros and Animal Crossing without any serious delays. Plus, Game Freak has even been able to produce DLC for Sword and Shield. They've even said recently they don't see any major delays for the time being for Switch games they're working on for 2020.

looks like i didn't miss much by giving this a pass! not saying this in a negative nancy way, but i was worried i'd miss something big. personally, i've never been into or played the SMT series, so i'm happy for the fans that are looking forward to it, but there wasn't anything announced that catered to my interests, personally. =x maybe next time.

The main big thing was SMT Nocturne remaster coming and SMT5 being real, but nothing much outside of that. I was hoping for something like Bayonetta 3, but knowing that SMT is alive and well is nice. They said we'll get more of these types of Direct Minis later this year, plus there should be at least one or two more "real" Directs later this year, so there is still plenty of time for big announcements to come.

So happy that my favorite SMT game is getting a remaster, buying it again day one now I want a Digital Devil Saga duology remaster please. Also nice to see more on SMT5, finally know that it'll release next year so I won't have to wait too long to play it at least. Everything else in the Direct didn't interest me though, but glad for anyone else that's excited for them.

This was worse than I thought it would be. Sure SMTV got announced, but I never cared for that series. I was honestly at least expecting to see Bayonetta 3 and No More Heroes 3, but not even that happened. This is even worse than March's mini Direct. I think what makes this even more disappointing is how lots of credible leakers were sitting here saying this was gonna be a general Direct and it would have stuff like the Mario remasters. When I saw this was just gonna be 3rd party stuff, I knew what to expect, but even then I was still extremely disappointed.

The thing that really frustrates me is knowing even with COVID-19, companies like Sony have been able to hold major events. Nintendo has had games in development before the virus that they probably could show off, and they have been able to produce content for Smash Bros and Animal Crossing without any serious delays. Plus, Game Freak has even been able to produce DLC for Sword and Shield. They've even said recently they don't see any major delays for the time being for Switch games they're working on for 2020.
It doesn't matter if they're credible or not, people get things wrong and even still leakers have to put in fake stuff sometimes (or Nintendo themselves, I forgot how it's done exactly) in order to actually get some of this stuff to us. They might have gotten a Direct date right, but it wasn't the Direct everyone was wanting.

And no offense to anyone who is reading this or anyone above, but I really hate how spoiled the Nintendo community is to this right now. Like everyone is saying how Sony and Microsoft were able to get these big presentations out but Nintendo can't do anything; One, Sony and Microsoft have been working on their next gen presentations for months, if not a year or two before COVID-19 hit. Two; Nintendo first and foremost, is a Japanese Company before an international company, with most of their studios are based in Japan in some form and the majority of the Japanese are just not used to working from home in general like Americans or anyone else in the world, they are workaholics by nature, they probably prefer working in a office more than anything. Even though Pokémon and Smash DLC released (and remember we just freakin got Paper Mario three days ago), GameFreak is technically third party company not own by Nintendo despite sharing the Pokémon franchise with them so I imagine they have their own way of doing this and Smash probably took a while to get suited since we got the Game the character is from before the fighter so it's probably why it took so long from the announcement to release. Honestly, people should just be patient and not yell at Nintendo for something they can't control, doesn't matter that "this video game company got this out so why can't the others do it" if the people making the games aren't safe or able to work from home as easily as others.

Would have I wanted more? Yes, I wish we got more but there is a pandemic going on, at the end of the day Nintendo is focusing more of welfare and safety of their employees over their games.

~~~

Now my opinions on the Direct itself. I honestly like what was shown, I excited to see Cadance of Hyrule is getting more support and hope to see Nintendo have more indie companies have the reins on their first party franchises, and I'm excited to hear more of Family Jules guitar work. I also excited for Shin Megami Tensei III getting remade as I would like to experience the series myself finally as I haven't had a chance too and SMT V finally got revealed so happy dance for that fandom.

As for the other two games, the WWE game, just ugh, and it really looks like it was made by the Forttrash developers. I already forget the other game, I don't know if I cared about it or my memory is just that bad.

Otherwise, no Bayonetta 3 news which the second I saw the ratings I knew it wasn't being shown. What is Platinum doing and why have they not bother to shown updates or something like what happened with Metroid Prime 4's development.

I was really hoping for a Persona 5 port...I don't want to spend money on a PS4 just for one game :/

Other than that I don't care about any of this either way. I have no interest in anything they talked about but I'm not, like, seething with rage either.

View: https://twitter.com/OnTheDownLoTho/status/1285416006890991616?s=20

Full statement from Nintendo regarding the drought and radio silence from them recently. And even though people are going to complain anyways cause they can't f***ing grow up and whine like spoiled brats. After the Direct Mini yesterday people review bomb every Shin Megami Tensei game cause it wasn't what the new Grinch told them.

reflecting a bit more on this, it actually makes me somewhat happy that nothing that piqued my personal interest was announced. at least i can work on my backlog of games and after that, see what's new on the eshop for other stuff. so there's a silver lining here, at least for me~

Well, it does allow me more time to finish the current games I still haven't got 100% on yet.

also, something important i feel should be noted:

it's okay for people to feel disappointed. i don't think disappointment in itself is necessarily a bad thing. sure, there were signs everywhere that this was going to be something that was mostly known. i think being angry about it given what was previously said is rather unreasonable, but i think not seeing what you'd expect and being a bit let down from it is fine. it's important not to channel that disappointment into frustration and anger at nintendo, though. feel let down from it, sure, but it's important to recognise that 2020 has been a rather shitty year for even some game development companies. it is what it is, and that's the reality of things as they stand.

If any of you guys still have a 3ds, check out shin megami tensei 4, it’s a great game and it shows what the series is about. It’s sequel a la final fantasy 10-2 4 apoclalypse is more character arc focused like persona but keeps the harder difficulty of the mainline SMT.

Last edited:
Lack of communication with the fans is a big issue when it comes to the Nintendo Direct situation right now. If someone from Nintendo told us that they had to postpone their plans, then the fans would understand. We can't just be kept in the dark forever.

Lack of communication with the fans is a big issue when it comes to the Nintendo Direct situation right now. If someone from Nintendo told us that they had to postpone their plans, then the fans would understand. We can't just be kept in the dark forever.
I think you’re putting too much on them, nintendo literally just told us that, but the hate is still coming.

The thing is they technically did and did not at the same time at the beginning of the previous Direct Minis.
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 4.49.03 PM.png

While it doesn't say anything regarding the Directs themselves, it does say information is subject to change. And look after the Nintendo Direct Mini a new statement did come out amending their last statement that there would be no delays back when the entire world was in quarantine when we were in the early stages of the Pandemic.

I understand why people are mad, I'm disappointed that there's nothing from my favorite game company (and pretty much the only system developers I play as in consoles) in terms of new games. I do realized there is a freaking Pandemic going on and people react differently. I understand that a lot of people's patienceness is running thin, but sometimes you have to deal with it and move on for the time being.

Yup, looks like this will not be a strong finish to the year for Nintendo. I'm glad this news finally came out, though.

I was excited when it was a new Mario Kart, but then I realized it's all gimmicks. I'm sure it'll be a blast for kids, though.

3D World looks interesting, I'm glad it has added content. The setting gave me Crown Tundra vibes lol. I might buy it early next year after I'm done with Odyssey and Mario Maker.

The 3D collection gives me mixed feelings. I haven't played any game and I know they are beloved, but it sounds very expensive and the graphics were not touched at all. It depends on how satisfied I'm with Odyssey and 3D World, but by that point there'll only physical copies. :bulbaFacepalm:

It was depressing to see that of all Mario games playable of the Switch none belong to the Mario & Luigi saga.:cry:

Really looking forward to 3D World and Galaxy. Never finished 3D world, so I’ll be doing that, and I’ve never actually played and of the 3D All Star titles, so that’s going to be a blast for me.

Back
Top Bottom