• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo Directs Thread

*Yeah, I predicted from the original trailer that Mario RPG remake had some sort of team attack feature, so it's nice to have it confirmed.
*Unicorn Overlord looks like a successor to Ogre Battle, which I'm all here for.
That name though...
*Thousand Year Door remaster was not on my bingo card. Part of me is reluctant to replay the game though, out of fear I'd be a lot less impressed by the writing now.

*spittake* THOUSAND-YEAR DOOR?!?!?

Well that's just about the best damn thing I'll see today. I was pleased enough that Mario VS. DK got some attention (March of the Minis remaster next...?), but TTYD is something I've personally wanted to play for years and had no feasible way of doing so for the longest time. Giving everybody an updated way to play a game that's been stuck on its original hardware for the last two decades... smart move. Not to mention it looks (and sounds) beautiful in that modern PM style!

Also, oh man, Trace Memory/Another Code remake really caught me off-guard too. Lookin' forward to that.

Seems once again some news in the Japanese direct was cut from the English version. Two I've learned so far:
*A Demo is now available for the new Dragon Quest Monsters.
*PS2/PC game "Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII" is getting a remake in 2024 on Switch and everything not called Xbox.

Finally, Side Order has a more concrete release period! While it's still far, at least it's good to finally have an estimate rather than a placeholder.

Guess i no longer need to get either a Gamecube or a Wii to play my Gamecube copy of Thousand Year Door. It's my favorite Paper Mario game (and tied with Bowser Inside Story for my favorite Mario RPG) and i'm definitely getting it on release.

I’ve seen F-zero mentioned here but nothing about F-Zero 99. I haven’t really played any F-Zero games but I’m excited to download and play this as a Mario Kart fan. I maybe would prefer a Super Mario Kart 99 but I think F-Zero deserves some love. This’ll definitely help F-Zero sales for a potential future game if the game does not have any technical problems.

My late opinions:

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is a nice surprise. I didn't put much stake in such a thing existing, I thought if we got it would be a remaster, but this is a full remake. I love classic Paper Mario games, and I haven't actually played TTYD since 2008 IIRC, so I'm looking forward to this. I just hope they don't change the gameplay much. Leave it alone, please.

The Princess Peach game looks cute. I'm not really into side-scrollers, though... Is this a side-scroller? I can't tell.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC looks pretty good. Sad to see we are arriving at the end. But it was an unexpected nice boost for a nearly ten old game.

Overall, a lot of focus on remakes... but at least they are actual remakes, and not just remasters.

Its about that time of year again! With February approaching, we could be about 3-4 weeks away from the first big Nintendo Direct of 2024. As most know, Nintendo Directs are commonly held in February, with a Nintendo Direct happening in February in 4 of the last 5 years. Chances are pretty strong we will see one, but this year is interesting considering its heavily rumored that this year will see the launch of a Nintendo Switch successor, so its unknown if this will shake things up for us, though it's likely going to have its own presentation.

What We Know
  • This year has three major Mario remakes in the form of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and a remake of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.
  • Princess Peach Showtime is set to release on March 22nd.
  • The 2nd part of Splatoon 3's DLC is set to launch in Spring 2024.
  • Metroid Prime 4 is still in development, though its officially been 5 years since development restarted. By now, its possible we might finally get an update.
  • Another Code: Recollection is set to release January 19th of this year, so very likely before any Nintendo Direct.
Rumors
  • The biggest rumor of this year is the Switch's successor. Its been widely talked about that we will see a new console this year, with recent rumors suggesting it will be more of a new iteration akin to the NES to SNES rather than the Gamecube to the Wii.
  • A new rumor recently suggested Hi-Fi Rush will be ported to the Switch.
  • Jeff Grubb says he's heard Sea of Thieves may be coming to the Switch.
  • Jeff Grubb has stated here that a Nintendo Direct is almost certainly happening in February.
So yeah, we should be getting close to our first big Nintendo Direct. Keep an eye out for rumors. When it comes to rumors, there's a few to usually check on. Jeff Grubb and Natethehate2 often have pretty accurate sources for dates. Another who might have sources on dates is KeliosFR on Twitter. Pyoro_X as we know is very credible when it comes to the contents of the Direct itself. Pyoro_X tends to start teasing a few days before. The rumors should start picking up soon, so keep an eye out.

Edit: Added a new rumor
Edit 2: Our first rumor of a Direct happening.

Last edited:
One thing I don't think they will show in this Direct is the Switch's successor, unless that successor has backwards compatibility with Switch games. This is because Switch games haven't been slowing down in releases. As for potential things they can show during the direct, probably another Mario spin-off remaster we are not thinking of, or maybe a new type of Mario spin-off focusing on one of the lesser-focused Mario characters.

One thing I don't think they will show in this Direct is the Switch's successor, unless that successor has backwards compatibility with Switch games. This is because Switch games haven't been slowing down in releases. As for potential things they can show during the direct, probably another Mario spin-off remaster we are not thinking of, or maybe a new type of Mario spin-off focusing on one of the lesser-focused Mario characters.
Honestly, I do agree. I think its likely to get its own presentation not too long after the Nintendo Direct. At the very most I could see them revealing that they're holding a special Nintendo Direct within a week or more after this Direct, just before the last game reveal. Though I think it'll probably be in March. I thought I heard some insiders suggesting a March reveal.

I really don't think we'll be seeing the successor until far later in the year, if at all this year. The sales numbers for the 2023 holiday will be very telling as to when we'll see it. If they think they can get another 10 mil out of this FY, I don't see them revealing the successor at all this year.

Screenshot_20240206-193714_Twitter.jpg

Natethehate2 is pretty credible when it comes to Direct dates, so it seems its pretty likely we're gonna get a Nintendo Direct next week. Honestly I was really hoping it would be this week.

I don't have very high hopes honestly. I'm kinda expecting another remake/port heavy Direct. We know its prerty likely we're getting a new console this year, so we're likely in the transitional phase. Its likely they're saving the big stuff for after the new console reveal in the June Direct. I hope to be pleasantly surprised though with something like an unexpected spinoff. There still is the possibility of a reintroduction to Metroid Prime 4 though.

Edit: Oh...In his podcast today, he said it might be a Partner Showcase...The least interesting type of Direct....

Last edited:
A Partner Showcase is dropping tomorrow:

Worth noting this isn't labelled as a Direct Mini as all the past ones have been, yet it's still the same length of 25 min. Just a branding change, I guess?

(It's also being streamed as a live in-person event at Nintendo NYC, which is the norm for any other general Direct, but really unusual for a Partner Showcase of all things. O_o)

Typically mid as always, though seeing a new Super Monkey Ball and Endless Ocean was nice. I really hope they're not gonna pull another 2020 and leave us in the dark for whatever first party games remain for the Switch. Random shadowdrops on Twitter is not it. It gives us no real roadmap like a big Nintendo Direct.

Interesting note though, insider Jeff Grubb DID say that he did hear about Epic Mickey Rebrushed being in this and the same source that told him this did say Metroid Prime 4 was happening this year. He said he doesn't know for sure, but in the watch party for the Partner Showcase, he said more confident we'll see it now because of this reveal. Crossing my fingers...and hoping they have a Direct cause Metroid Prime 4 deserves so much better than a shadowdrop or random post saying "Tune in tomorrow for a new Metroid Prime 4 trailer!" It deserves a last segment spot for a Nintendo Direct.

Last edited:
Yep, yesterday morning.

I saw Monster Hunter Stories remaster for the Switch, audibly screamed, and didn't care about anything else for the day. The game with the island life story looked interesting though, kinda looks like a mix of Animal Crossing with RPG elements almost. I'll keep an eye on that one at least. Can't remember the name though, one of those long ones.

So it was good direct for me at least, but I didn't have any real expectations. I just go in looking for any small games that might interest me and got hit with more Switch content for my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom