• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Nintendo of America says Metroid Prime 4 and "new Pokemon game" are 2018 titles

I doubt Kanto would be remade considering the original Red, Blue, and Yellow were released on the Virtual Console last year for the 20th Anniversary.

I heard about this the other day, but I seriously doubt it. It wouldn't be impossible for the Switch games to come out next year. It probably would depend on how far they're into development when the announcement came. But since this didn't come from Game Freak or anyone from the staff. It sounds more like they're just trying to create more attention for the Switch by giving the impression that the games could come out sooner rather than later. That makes sense business wise, but it's not something to rely on.

If they already had a year date for the Switch games, they probably would have stated that during E3, instead of just saying that they're in development and The Pokemon Company stating that the games won't be seen for more than a year.

Weird how no one is paying attention to this even when it was mentioned earlier by Silktree:
"We’ve announced a nice lineup through this year, and next year we have some big games coming with Metroid 4. 2018 [Ed’s note: Nintendo clarified later that Scibetta meant “2018 and beyond” here] will be around Metroid, Kirby, Yoshi, and a new Pokemon game has been announced. We feel good about the lineup for this year and beyond."

I was more referring to how releasing RBY on the Virtual Console would be pointless if they remake Kanto soon afterwards. That and how it would have been better to release the remake during the 20th Anniversary when the hype for Pokemon Go and the Gen 1 Pokemon was stronger than now.

Last edited:
I was more referring to how releasing RBY on the Virtual Console would be pointless if they remake Kanto soon afterwards. That and how it would have been better to release the remake during the 20th Anniversary when the hype for Pokemon Go and the Gen 1 Pokemon was stronger than now.
Not sure why you're still talking about remakes.

RGBY (2016) -> GS (2017) -> Sequels (2018)

Arguably more sensible than releasing them all in one go.

I doubt it. I feel like this is a Gen V situation, and the next main series games are going to be the next generation. Perhaps you're right and 2018 is too soon, and maybe they'll take a break year. I still feel the next games are going to be the next generation. But hey I'll throw you a bone, if for whatever reason the next games are a revisit of an old generation it would probably be Kanto. If they don't use a new region then they'll probably want to market to causal audiences through Kanto since that is the most notable and familiar region for people.
Black/White started in 2010 and Black 2/White 2 started in 2012, that three year of Gen V, and Gen VII that 2 years to early, I would rather wait for Gen VIII in 2019 or 2020 because I want GF to take their time on the new gens

Why would I play sequels set in Kanto when I can just play the original? A sequel set in Kanto wouldn't be much different.

Now if we're talking an Orange Islands game as "sequels", now you've got me interested. But I don't expect re-releases or sequels either way.

Why would I play sequels set in Kanto when I can just play the original? A sequel set in Kanto wouldn't be much different.

Now if we're talking an Orange Islands game as "sequels", now you've got me interested. But I don't expect re-releases or sequels either way.
Lillie Story, In Sun/Moon, Lillie was talking bout going to Kanto to find a cure for her mother lusamine. It would be nice to see how much Kanto/Johto change from the last 20 years.

Lillie Story, In Sun/Moon, Lillie was talking bout going to Kanto to find a cure for her mother lusamine. It would be nice to see how much Kanto/Johto change from the last 20 years.
Not much, I would say.

A sequel to Kanto would basically be the same thing as BW2 - new story and characters sure, but the region is otherwise the same. You're still playing the same game in the end.

Yes, because 20 years on a completely different system (even compared to the DS) is the same as 2 years on the same system. There are any number of changes they could make.

Not much, I would say.

A sequel to Kanto would basically be the same thing as BW2 - new story and characters sure, but the region is otherwise the same. You're still playing the same game in the end.

I don't quite understand that. How it is still the same game if the storyline and characters are new? The region would be the same, but that wouldn't make a hypothetical sequel to R/B the same games as the originals. B2/W2 certainly weren't the same games as B/W even with being set within the same Unova region.

I don't quite understand that. How it is still the same game if the storyline and characters are new? The region would be the same, but that wouldn't make a hypothetical sequel to R/B the same games as the originals. B2/W2 certainly weren't the same games as B/W even with being set within the same Unova region.
The geography would still be the same. You would still be tasked with challenging all of the same gyms and eventually the Elite Four. By all accounts, it is still largely the same game even with a new storyline and cast, of which Pokemon is known to be lackluster in. BW2 were technically sequels, but the way they were presented and their role to Gen 5 were really no different to third versions. Just third versions with a little more pizzazz.

Can we not have kanto? It got brought back several times. Red/ Blue were the first kanto games. Yellow returns us to kanto despite being directly after Red/Blue. Gold/Silver had kanto postgame. Crystal also had kanto. Then we had FRLG bring us back to kanto. HGSS had kanto in it. RBY on virtual console was released and now G/S is coming with kanto in post game.

Point is Kanto has had enough games for a life time. We are likely getting gen 8 then sinnoh remakes and perhaps follow ups to gen 8 first pair games.

The geography would still be the same. You would still be tasked with challenging all of the same gyms and eventually the Elite Four. By all accounts, it is still largely the same game even with a new storyline and cast, of which Pokemon is known to be lackluster in. BW2 were technically sequels, but the way they were presented and their role to Gen 5 were really no different to third versions. Just third versions with a little more pizzazz.

By that logic, every main series Pokemon game is the same thing because they're all about going for Gyms and the Elite 4 eventually, but I don't agree with that either. The goal is basically the same for them, but each generation provide different casts, regions and Pokemon to explore to make them different and distinct from each other. I wouldn't call all of the storylines and characters in Pokemon lackluster either, but that's definitely more subjective. A new storyline and cast does make playing through Unova in B2/W2 a different experience from going through Unova in B/W. Not to mention there were a few different areas in B2/W2 if I recall correctly. Seeing how different Kanto could be in a hypothetical sequel would be most likely be significantly different from just replaying the first and second generation games.

Now I understand the point about B2/W2 basically serving as the third version of the fifth generation and I'd agree with that to an extent. Saying that they weren't really different to third versions kind of comes off as downplaying the new content a bit too much for my tastes though. Traditional third versions are generally just updated versions of the first two games. They'd have some new areas, expanding the Pokedex and a few new twists to the storyline, but that would be about it in terms of new content. B2/W2 were completely new games that followed up on the previous storyline. That's a lot more than we had gotten in the past with third version games. Saying that they're just third versions with a bit more flare really undersells how different they were. They basically took up the role of third version games for that generation, but they were brand new games instead of just another updated version of the previous two games.

They could spice up sequels by having the main story be set in one half of Kanto and one half of Johto. The progression wouldn't be at all the same as either RGBY or GSC.

Add that to an expanded Pokedex, revamped locations, new characters/story and HD graphics... I have to roll my eyes at anyone who'd call that a boring retread.

I like to see Distortion world in the sinnoh remakes. I bet it would look fantastic in Switch graphics.

I like to see Distortion world in the sinnoh remakes. I bet it would look fantastic in Switch graphics.
It would cool to see the Distortion World in HD graphics, better than 3D Graphics. I'm still concern on how will they do the Sinnoh Story, because of Platinum being a better upgraded version of Diamond/Pearl, But DP have some flaws in the game and the fans would prefer a Platinum remake, though they don't do a remake of a third game before.

They could spice up sequels by having the main story be set in one half of Kanto and one half of Johto. The progression wouldn't be at all the same as either RGBY or GSC.

Add that to an expanded Pokedex, revamped locations, new characters/story and HD graphics... I have to roll my eyes at anyone who'd call that a boring retread.
Your trying to say Pokémon Crystal will be on VC in 2018?

Your trying to say Pokémon Crystal will be on VC in 2018?
How did you get that from my post? o_O

I do think that the only good excuse for not releasing Crystal for the 3DS is if they want to release it for the Switch's classic game service, which adds online features in the spirit of Crystal's Mobile Adapter.

How did you get that from my post? o_O

I do think that the only good excuse for not releasing Crystal for the 3DS is if they want to release it for the Switch's classic game service, which adds online features in the spirit of Crystal's Mobile Adapter.
Looks like we can expect RS VC on Switch and Emerald on a New Console.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom