• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo switch and pokemon

Apparently, there are some issues involving the Switch's online functionality. There's something terrifying lurking inside the Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch WiFi Connection Might Be Causing Performance Issues – Rumor Online functionality is responsible for bringing the Pokemon community together, and then, this happens. Having the wifi functionality tank your framerate and leave you open to hackers is a bad idea. Maybe, because of this, GF won't make a Switch Pokemon game (and, there's also their vendetta against Nintendo home consoles).

Ok, so two things here. One, currently I don't buy that rumor at all. I own a switch and no form of wifi problem has occurred more so than any other system I have, actually it's better than my 3ds. The next if you do not believe this a handheld system as well you're extremely mistaken. That is what a case for and it isn't much bigger than some of those freaking phones people carry around. The screen itself is only slightly larger than the iphone plus, and the controllers are tiny attachments to the side. It's smaller than the tablets we carry. I have been taking mine with me to work. The biggest issue with it is battery life. As to the replacement nintendo already came out and said this does not replace the 3ds, it does replace the wii u, so right now they are still two active consoles. They do not intend to have the 3ds go anywhere for a long time, but I do think you will see pokemon split. You are gonna see it release on both I think. I don't think we will see a new pokemon until 2018 anyway so that gives them time to split it up, and there are already confirmations of a pokemon switch game being hinted at in discussions.

It's looking more and more like Pokemon will debut on the Switch in 2018 with 8th gen. Marshadow's release this year makes that scenario more likely seeing as they have no further event Pokemon to promote in 2018. And if 8th gen is coming in 2018, there's no real point in rushing Pokemon onto the Switch with Stars, so that makes the Stars rumor unlikely. Also probably means that the increase in staff is for 8th gen, which makes sense because a game designed from the ground up on the Switch is probably going to be bigger, have a significant graphical upgrade, and provide a console scale experience. Can't wait to see what they do with it, I have a feeling it's going to be groundbreaking in more ways than one.

And people called me crazy for even thinking that Gen 7 would only have two games. :p

But, it's not confirmed yet. So have to keep an open mind.

Except it will be more likely to be 2019, 2020, because I don't think gen 8 will be next year it's too soon. I think either this year or next year will be a filler year whether via a remake or just a filler game it will be a couple of years first. XY-sm was 3 years and I would be surprised if it was less, especially in a whole new format that they have never done.

Except it will be more likely to be 2019, 2020, because I don't think gen 8 will be next year it's too soon. I think either this year or next year will be a filler year whether via a remake or just a filler game it will be a couple of years first. XY-sm was 3 years and I would be surprised if it was less, especially in a whole new format that they have never done.

You could argue that 2016 was too soon for 7th gen, but here we are. As it stands, we have new hardware out and Pokemon is going to need to transition. 2020 is most definitely too long a wait for that. 2018 is a little more right. Maybe 2019 if they need more time, but no later than that.

The previous two generations lasted three years, exactly as they should have.

I see no reason to expect anything different this time.

I'll try and hold my final judgment for another month or so, as I think if "Stars" is real it would probably be announced around May/June. Though, I admit I'm starting to get a feeling in my gut that Gen VIII is coming next year, leaving Gen VII at 2 years. Honestly, I could see it being possible that we get no Pokemon game at all in 2017 and get Gen VIII in Spring 2018. Sounds crazy, but we will see.

I'd wait until E3. If nothing is announced then, then I'll be more skeptical of "Stars" being real. Until then, it's just a waiting game.

There is usually an empty year between generations so I would expect nothing this year toward the main story, and they just did a new mystery dungeon so I'm not sure I would expect that either. I'm personally still vying for a new pokemon snap. I want it so bad! I know that it is a long shot, but some of the things you could do with it now would be so awesome. Too bad they won't except emails with ideas.

What would be the point? Pokemon's gameplay doesn't exactly lend itself to complex interaction with the environment, the game's actions are mainly scripted.
Pokemon encounters can be shown in the over world itself, zooming into the battle. I always thought we were going to some other universe when I saw the Wild encounter zoom-ins of the present games.

Pokemon encounters can be shown in the over world itself, zooming into the battle. I always thought we were going to some other universe when I saw the Wild encounter zoom-ins of the present games.

That's not really a physics improvement, that's a graphical improvement. Physics improvements would relate to how the character or game world objects act. BotW's changes to physics impact the game because the game's items are dependent on the context and timing of when an item is used. They have general actions that can be applied to multiple different situations. Pokemon doesn't really have much need for that being an RPG, again most of the actions in the game world are scripted. The character moves or presses A and something happens. Done. Same thing with the battles, which are turn based and just about making the right move than using the environment to battle. Better physics doesn't really enhance that.

But I would like zoom in battles too, yeah. Makes the battles feel more realistic.

See I mildly agree I would like the battles themselves to have more interaction. I would love to be able to control my pokemon to avoid attacks and when to strike. I think this would be easy to change on the switch as well. With the two controllers you have four+ buttons you could use to release an attack, and four for anything else like dodging. It would be awesome! But I doubt they will do it. I personally just hate turned based combat it's dull and as much as I love pokemon it's why I never finish the game. I have all of them and have beaten one and on the verge of another. Just cannot stay into it, so in my opinion a more open fighting style would improve the game a lot.

See I mildly agree I would like the battles themselves to have more interaction. I would love to be able to control my pokemon to avoid attacks and when to strike. I think this would be easy to change on the switch as well. With the two controllers you have four+ buttons you could use to release an attack, and four for anything else like dodging. It would be awesome! But I doubt they will do it. I personally just hate turned based combat it's dull and as much as I love pokemon it's why I never finish the game. I have all of them and have beaten one and on the verge of another. Just cannot stay into it, so in my opinion a more open fighting style would improve the game a lot.

Since I watched the anime, I've always wanted to give certain commands to my pokemon like "dodge, counter with etc., and let's finish this!" but that wouldn't be balanced because when it comes to p.vs.p. a lot of people would spam certain actions. It's definately programmable, but would have to be implemented in a way that has to be fair, fun, and in no way alinating to the trainers, young players, and excisting fanbase, let alone wild pokemon. The great thing about Pokémon is that it's quite balanced thus far.

Yeah, I don't think implementing dodging mechanics would work short of completely abandoning turn based mechanics or using Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi style control gimmicks to determine whether or not something hits, and neither of those are things I see Game Freak doing.

In general, I really don't think there's a lot Pokemon can take from BotW. All of BotW's mechanics are either too difficult for casuals or don't really fit Pokemon's philosophy. However, Game Freak should take note of BotW's popularity and the general demand for larger, more open ended experiences on console and ease up on some of their policies towards casualization. Still make the game as casual friendly as possible, but open the game up for people that want to wander off and complete the game their own way. Something like Alola but with all of the barriers removed would be a great example of how to do this, so that once you get to an island you can complete Trials in whatever order you want and complete storyline events in whatever order you want, so long as you complete everything to move on. Routes that are a little more open but have clearly distinguishable paths could also help appeal to both groups.

Really I would look more towards the older 3D Marios and OoT more than BotW in Pokemon's case, as those games feature examples of level design that's open ended enough for exploration while still being linear enough for casuals to not get confused (Bob-omb Battlefield, Snowman's Land, Bianco Hills, Hyrule Castle, and Zora's Domain are better inspiration for more open ended level design than BotW).

Last edited:
The entire comparison and suggestion that Pokemon should take anything from BOTW is absolutely baffling to me. Why is this even a discussion? Seriously? How could Zelda and Pokemon ever take anything from each other? Like. Sorry, but it just sounds crazy.

Back
Top Bottom