• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo switch and pokemon

The entire comparison and suggestion that Pokemon should take anything from BOTW is absolutely baffling to me. Why is this even a discussion? Seriously? How could Zelda and Pokemon ever take anything from each other? Like. Sorry, but it just sounds crazy.

I mean.... they might not be able to take the battle style from BOTW, but they could certainly take the open world concept and the ability to challenge any boss/dungeon in any order (or for Pokemon it would be gyms) concept. BOTW is a prime example of developers giving the gamers the ability to choose which bosses they want to do and in whatever order they choose while at the same time keeping the difficulty up. Sure some tasks might be harder until you get a little stronger, but the idea that you have to go in a straight path and ramp up to the higher level difficulties is a little silly. BOTW gives options to its players and yet all the options are equally challenging in their own rights.

I mean.... they might not be able to take the battle style from BOTW, but they could certainly take the open world concept and the ability to challenge any boss/dungeon in any order (or for Pokemon it would be gyms) concept. BOTW is a prime example of developers giving the gamers the ability to choose which bosses they want to do and in whatever order they choose while at the same time keeping the difficulty up. Sure some tasks might be harder until you get a little stronger, but the idea that you have to go in a straight path and ramp up to the higher level difficulties is a little silly. BOTW gives options to its players and yet all the options are equally challenging in their own rights.

That's the thing, there's not much in the way of gameplay mechanics that Pokemon can take from BotW, but there's definitely things Pokemon can learn from BotW's general design philosophy. BotW is a pretty clear counterpoint to Game Freak's notion that gamers only want quick, streamlined experiences, and it's more the type of game people generally expect out of a console, so hopefully they're paying attention.

Pokémon works great as a turn based battling system for the main series titles. As cool as the battles are in the anime, I think a turn based battling system works fine, and doesn't need to be changed. I could imagine Pokémon taking some elements from Legend of Zelda though. For instance, as Pokémon evolves onto greater technology and evolves into greater games, I would like to see the main series become more open world styled. Pokémon gyms in particular could take some inspiration from how dungeons are handled in Legend of Zelda games, and have Zelda inspired puzzles for Pokémon gyms.

the root of the issue is Pokemon's combat system. there's no way you can reconcile a menu-based, 5D rock-paper-scissors numbers game with an open world game, let alone one where all the enemies are also the exact same as your potential allies.

the root of the issue is Pokemon's combat system. there's no way you can reconcile a menu-based, 5D rock-paper-scissors numbers game with an open world game, let alone one where all the enemies are also the exact same as your potential allies.

I don't think it will be that big an issue. If Pokemon ever develops into an open world RPG, I'm sure Gamefreak can figure out how to make it work with a turn based system. I'm sure there are already Open World RPG's with turn based systems out there.

I think they could incorporate something like..

Using a fire move on a bush will burn it, and will cause some wild Pokemon there to flee to us, and open up a hoarder battle. Air Slash can act like cut, to cut trees, and fighting moves can break boulders.

I don't think it will be that big an issue. If Pokemon ever develops into an open world RPG, I'm sure Gamefreak can figure out how to make it work with a turn based system. I'm sure there are already Open World RPG's with turn based systems out there.

Yeah I think the Final Fantasy games also work like this (though it's been a while since I played one, so could be wrong). You encounter enemies in open world and it then turns into a turn based battle. I would love to see something like that for a Pokémon game, having to actively look for Pokémon in the environment.

You could have NPC's telling you where to find certain Pokémon for example, makes hunting for all of them a lot more fun imo. Adding BoTW's riding mechanic could be fun too, having to sneak up on rideable Pokémon, jumping on them and then having to calm them down before you can ride them.

Also, I think releasing Pokemon can become more sensible than just presssing a button for it. They could use their already present walking/running animations.
1. Player selects release Pokemon option.
2. Back to the world. Player releases all the Pokeballs with the Pokemon inside. They come out, give a look to the player, and run away into the world.

Make these animations skippable, and GF, you've just gone one step further to creating an emotional bond between players and their Pokemon.

Also, I think releasing Pokemon can become more sensible than just presssing a button for it. They could use their already present walking/running animations.
2. Back to the world. Player releases all the Pokeballs with the Pokemon inside. They come out, give a look to the player, and run away into the world.

Make these animations skippable, and GF, you've just gone one step further to creating an emotional bond between players and their Pokemon.

Creating an emotional bond with every Pokémon I release because their IVs aren't good enough is about the last thing I'd want :p

Skippable animations though, that's definitely something GF can learn from BotW.

Creating an emotional bond with every Pokémon I release because their IVs aren't good enough is about the last thing I'd want :p

Skippable animations though, that's definitely something GF can learn from BotW.

Are mass-releases possible in the mainline games (I don't have them... and it's too small a titbit to be mentioned anywhere)?
If not, I think they should enable them.. (I can see memes sprouting up with people releasing 100 Karps at one Go, and recording the mass-release animation for them, imagine 20-50 magikarps floating away from you).
If yes, then the issue is solved.

Are mass-releases possible in the mainline games (I don't have them... and it's too small a titbit to be mentioned anywhere)?
If not, I think they should enable them.. (I can see memes sprouting up with people releasing 100 Karps at one Go, and recording the mass-release animation for them, imagine 20-50 magikarps floating away from you).
If yes, then the issue is solved.

They aren't and that would definitely make for a great improvement. Though I suspect it isn't a thing yet cause they're afraid people might accidentally release a Pokémon they weren't meant to release or something.

They aren't and that would definitely make for a great improvement. Though I suspect it isn't a thing yet cause they're afraid people might accidentally release a Pokémon they weren't meant to release or something.

Don't they know people have Shiny hunt boxes??

Also, this calls for yet another feature: Marking our favourite Pokemon! This would be like how Pokemon Go implemented it.

i listed all those elements for a reason. it's not just that it's turn-based, it's that the enemies you face are also your party members; it's that, at it's core, Pokemon has little strategic depth; it's that, ultimately the game is about numbers. BOTW/LoZ (among others) can work as more sandbox-y games because their combat system reward strategy and skill. you can be a Link with three hearts and take on super bosses because the game will reward skillful play and good strategy. i can't take a level 5 Pidgey to the Elite Four, or just about any boss in Pokemon really, and expect to see success.

I think they could incorporate something like..

Using a fire move on a bush will burn it, and will cause some wild Pokemon there to flee to us, and open up a hoarder battle. Air Slash can act like cut, to cut trees, and fighting moves can break boulders.

I would love this. This reminds me of a certain fangame (not specifying which one because rules) that had a more complex and intricate terrain system that had a much wider variety of terrains and would affect different moves. It could even change into other terrains under certain conditions (such as a Grassy Terrain would turn into Burning Field when you use certain Fire type moves, which is basically like Sandstorm/Hail for Fire types). Something like that would be great for the main games if they can keep it balanced, it adds a whole new layer of strategy to the battling.

Having HMs/Poke Ride abilities have similar effects would also be a great way to enhance the overworld, and that's really one of the few things I can see Pokemon taking from BotW.

i listed all those elements for a reason. it's not just that it's turn-based, it's that the enemies you face are also your party members; it's that, at it's core, Pokemon has little strategic depth; it's that, ultimately the game is about numbers. BOTW/LoZ (among others) can work as more sandbox-y games because their combat system reward strategy and skill. you can be a Link with three hearts and take on super bosses because the game will reward skillful play and good strategy. i can't take a level 5 Pidgey to the Elite Four, or just about any boss in Pokemon really, and expect to see success.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1pgeWLVhds

Last edited:

aside from the fact that the strategy only works with Skarmory and Pineco, lol.... the low level vs E4 strategies are a combination of being meticulously planned to the point where it will work so long as there's no stray RNG and abusing the terrible AI and its inability to adapt to the players (see stall tactics).

you can have a bad player execute the strategy in this (and similar) videos. the work is done. it's been tested. the AI will behave pretty much the exact same way every time. that isn't the same in action RPGs. you can't just tell a bad player in an action RPG how to win (source: am one).

and really ultimately the only way people do the low-level vs E4 stuff is because it abuses Focus Sash/Sturdy in tandem with stall tactics (Toxic, Double Team, Attract, Swagger) or Endeavor and Quick Attack. there isn't a wealth of strategies for doing accomplishing this. this is an exception to the general rule (and also isn't even applicable in the long run anyways).

I think a turn based battling system works fine, and doesn't need to be changed.
I agree, although it might be nice to see a few tweaks to the systems in place. For example, remember how in Pokemon Conquest stat buffs only lasted a few turns at a time?

Do you by any chance play Monster Hunter? Try dismissing a Palico....

Also, this calls for yet another feature: Marking our favourite Pokemon! This would be like how Pokemon Go implemented it.
I agree, some ability to mark a Pokemon so that you can't release/trade them (without removing the mark first) would be lovely. I'm loath to make such a comparison, but it's like clearing out space in your digital camera: you mark pictures you want to keep before tossing the rest.

I don't think Pokémon would fit the Switch. First off, the games save to the console, and you can't take the saves off of the console, meaning all of your beloved Pokémon will be dead if something happens to your Switch. Second, from what I can gather, the Switch has no capability to do multiplayer on two separate consoles unless both are connected to the internet, which would remove a key feature of Pokémon - the ability to trade and battle with people locally without being connected to the internet, something that has been a core component of the franchise since Gen I.

I'm assuming that if GF's making something for the Switch, it won't be Stars or Gen VIII. I'm guessing it could be something along the lines of the Stadium games.

I don't think Pokémon would fit the Switch. First off, the games save to the console, and you can't take the saves off of the console, meaning all of your beloved Pokémon will be dead if something happens to your Switch. Second, from what I can gather, the Switch has no capability to do multiplayer on two separate consoles unless both are connected to the internet, which would remove a key feature of Pokémon - the ability to trade and battle with people locally without being connected to the internet, something that has been a core component of the franchise since Gen I.

I'm assuming that if GF's making something for the Switch, it won't be Stars or Gen VIII. I'm guessing it could be something along the lines of the Stadium games.
This would be a huge problem if Pokemon switched over (pun intended).

Back
Top Bottom