• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo Switch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes you wonder about games like splatoon,and other title like it where online play is 80 percent of the game.

Kinda silly to ask you to pay 60 bucks for a game and then 60 more to access the online to even be able to play most the game.

Imagine buying a book and then having to pay even more money to access the ending.

If Nintendo is gonna go to pay for online hopefully titles like splatoon have a huge single player campaign or they come at like 20 bucks to make up for paying for online

Makes you wonder about games like splatoon,and other title like it where online play is 80 percent of the game.

Kinda silly to ask you to pay 60 bucks for a game and then 60 more to access the online to even be able to play most the game.

Imagine buying a book and then having to pay even more money to access the ending.

If Nintendo is gonna go to pay for online hopefully titles like splatoon have a huge single player campaign or they come at like 20 bucks to make up for paying for online

First rule of business is to know what exactly the price is and when it is paid. Without it, everything is a hyperbole. Additionally, Splatoon 2 has one crucial advantage over Splatoon...

Local Multiplayer. Thanks to the portability, you can now play matches with friends rather than depend on an online system or separate TV screens for each console system to play with friends.

Plus, I believe they are more prepared to do a better single player campaign after the success of the first.

First rule of business is to know what exactly the price is and when it is paid. Without it, everything is a hyperbole. Additionally, Splatoon 2 has one crucial advantage over Splatoon...

Local Multiplayer. Thanks to the portability, you can now play matches with friends rather than depend on an online system or separate TV screens for each console system to play with friends.

Plus, I believe they are more prepared to do a better single player campaign after the success of the first.
I'm just referring to splatoon as the Nintendo equivalent of a mainly online game.

Every system has them,cod,left for dead,etc.

Alot of those games put a huge emphasis on the online part,with upgrading your character,new guns,etc
And because of that the single player campaign suffers.

I know it will never happen but I'd love to see companies run deals with the online priority games.

Buy call of duty and get PlayStation go ( or whatever the annual online thing is called) free.

Or buy your yearly online subscription and get half off splatoon 2,or even an older title free

Would make people feel less ripped off imo

I'm just referring to splatoon as the Nintendo equivalent of a mainly online game.

Every system has them,cod,left for dead,etc.

Alot of those games put a huge emphasis on the online part,with upgrading your character,new guns,etc
And because of that the single player campaign suffers.

I know it will never happen but I'd love to see companies run deals with the online priority games.

Buy call of duty and get PlayStation go ( or whatever the annual online thing is called) free.

Or buy your yearly online subscription and get half off splatoon 2,or even an older title free

Would make people feel less ripped off imo

That is an unfortunate aspect of an efficient online server. They'll demand a monthly fee to maintain the cost. But there's a free rental of classical games and like I said, local multiplayer is much more accesible than ever before.

At least I'm glad that, well, there are now actual games that actually look interesting, unlike how most of Wii U turned out to be. Never expected an FE game announced alongside the Switch, so that is definitely a plus. Breath of the Wild should be good too. A bit of a shame for a lack of Pokemon stuff. On the other hand, "May the dumbest bitch get kidnapped again.".

Last edited:
All the games announced for the Switch are ones I want to play (maybe not Arms though).

I need that Mario game.
He looks so damn cute in it.

The system seems interesting, but I don't know if I'm too impressed with the lineup of games just yet, save for a few. I may just wait for a (possible) price drop while waiting for more games to be announced.

As for the Skyrim deal...maybe it's for people that CAN'T afford a PS4, Xbox One or a decent enough PC? Not sure if mods will be used in the Switch version.

Yeah, the director only confirmed "Skyrim" and not a specific subtitle like "Skyrim Special Edition". This being said, I don't see them porting the 2011 original to the Switch. It's hopefully the Special Edition, or a minimum of the Legendary edition.

I fully agree; however, it's exactly what Sony and Microsoft (and indirectly, several of their 3rd party developers) have been doing for several years. Many games are 90-100% online play, and they also require the payment for PS+/XboxLive. This would be nothing new--it's basically industry standard now, unfortunately.

The real question is: how much does Nintendo's online service cost? Have they announced, or is that $60 mark just a deduction based on Sony and Microsoft's prices?

Because, actually, I can see a touch of brilliance in this if Nintendo plays their cards well. If Nintendo only charges, say, $20 for their online service, they have not only created a much larger window of willing, playing customers (in the end, making more money due to a higher number of subscriptions) but have also stepped forward as a larger online competitor (assume their network is roughly as solid as their competition).

System looks cool, costs more than I was hoping though. I'm glad Bomberman is back.

I just took a look at the Switch game card for the first time. And I have just one thing to say.

THAT'S what it looks like?! And Skyrim is going to be on that tiny card too?! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!

It's quite amazing that Puyo Puyo Tetris is receiving a localisation, and in time for Switch too. It's a launch title in Japan, but it will only be months before the West received this title. The amazing thing about this is that Puyo Puyo almost never get a localisation, as the only two attempts by Sega were Puyo Pop for the GBA and Puyo Pop Fever. The former surprisingly has an English translation in the Japan version of the game so it was easy to localise, but the latter has an English dub. Many people think the dub sounded horrendous, but I like it.

So, the deal here is that the localisation of Puyo Puyo Tetris has a dub, which means English voice actors will lend their voices. There is also the translation that they are bound to do, so it's likely that some stuff might not be a direct translation from the Japanese script.

From the comments on Nintendo's Puyo Puyo Tetris video, we can observe some things:
1) Some players remembered Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or to a lesser extent Kirby Avalanche when they see the Puyos. This insinuates that the Puyo Pop games that were released were a lot more obscure, no doubt due to their different nature. It also says a lot about the strength of the existing franchises that dolled up the Puyo Puyo game, in this case Sonic and Kirby respectively, allowing people to give these games a go as opposed to when Puyo Puyo was used as the name. In short, Puyo Puyo is still very much an obscure franchise that people are more familiar with Robotnik and Kirby than they are to Puyo.
2) Because of the obscurity of the Puyo Puyo games, the characters featured in the trailer is largely unfamiliar. Those who played Puyo Puyo games in English before would recognise some of them, but a number of them might be less familiar. Sig (boy with cyan hair), for example, debut in Puyo Puyo Fever 2, which was a game that never had a localisation. Of course, the Tetris-exclusive characters are all-new, so there's little wonder nobody knows those characters.
3) A minority is likely to express discontent if any content has changed, similar to how discontent is expressed when Fire Emblem Fates had some changes. One change that had precedent is Satan, who is called Dark Prince. The precedent lies in past Puyo Puyo games, where he was also called Dark Prince, so it's a consistent change. It is very likely that there will be changes, and I hope that despite the loud discontent that would probably emerge, the game does well enough for Sega to consider continual localisation of the Puyo Puyo games.
4) Mild Suggestive Themes in the ESRB rating is odd, mainly since puzzle games tend to be viewed as "E for Everyone" type of games. I think (this is my speculation) that some of the attacks performed by some characters could have made the rating that way, along with the deal with Schezo Wegey (a swordsman). For your information, the running gag is that he is mistakenly called a pervert for something he says.

Thanks for reading.

Just saw the switch won't have any streaming services on it at launch and that Mario kart deluxe won't have new tracks only new characters.

I was considering a switch just because the initial report said it would have new tracks.

Man the more I hear about switch the more I dislike it, Nintendo switched me to PlayStation

The Fire Emblem Direct begins in about 50 minutes from now. No doubt it will have information about the Fire Emblem Warrior title. Rumor also say that a Fire Emblem mobile game is set to make an appearance as well.

Just saw the switch won't have any streaming services on it at launch and that Mario kart deluxe won't have new tracks only new characters.

I was considering a switch just because the initial report said it would have new tracks.

Man the more I hear about switch the more I dislike it, Nintendo switched me to PlayStation
TBH, I think that's a rather shallow way of judging whether or not you want a system, especially since what you see is basically what you get - an upgraded game with all the DLC from the get-go, updated mechanics, a proper battle mode and new characters. Expecting anything more was, in my eyes, at least, out of the question for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe when it was confirmed to have that title, since it seems like the new course/track effort went into Battle Mode instead of new courses - trust me, I think I'd be a lot more mad at Nintendo if they made new courses instead of upgrading the Battle Mode.

And also, no streaming services on it at launch is not the end of the freakin' world. You could continue to use your existing devices, could you not? More power to you if you're sticking to your decision, by all means, but perhaps decisions in either case shouldn't be made so hastily... Make sure you at least have enough games that look interesting to you on PlayStation before you make the move!

I myself am actually holding out on getting a Nintendo Switch until the games I want to play are released - and that won't come for a while yet. The launch day stuff does not have me sold just yet, and though I would happily buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because I love the original so much, the first real system seller for me will be Splatoon 2.

Edit: On the note of the Fire Emblem Direct... A new FE title on the Nintendo Switch, huh? Oh, geez. I will say this much about what was said - they said it was a return to home consoles for the franchise, which was last seen in Radiant Dawn. I think that's a pretty big reinforcement of how much Nintendo wants to emphasise that it's a home console first and a portable second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom