• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo Wii successor to be shown at E3. late 2012 release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source.

According to multiple reports today, Nintendo will reveal a new console at E3 this coming June.

Game Informer first reported that the console is capable of running games at "HD resolutions." Our sources have said the the console is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and that Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market. Another source said it is capable of 1080p resolutions.

Nintendo is reportedly showing the console to publishers to garner interest for a late 2012 launch.

Additional sources tell IGN that Nintendo will release a pre-announcement this month with a full reveal expected at E3 and that the console will be backwards compatible with current Wii software.

"Backwards compatible with current Wii software"? Does that include stuff from the WiiShop?

Better graphics are nice. I'm just wondering what the control scheme will be like. Are we going to the next step and going with a Kinect-style interface, or are we stepping back a bit and going with a conventional(ish) controller?

Given that they are trying to "recapture the hardcore market", I'd guess that the new controller won't be going in that direction. (Edit: that's in reference to the Kinect-style interface)

I'm guessing an upgraded Wii remote with more buttons, allowing the remote/nunchuck combo to fully double as a CC-style controller.

Last edited:
Let's hope they get it right this time. The Wii was only good for collecting dust for me. I would like some good online play too, since part of the reason I played so much 360 was due to the strong online.

I'd prefer a conventional controller or a oddball non-motion controller this time too (Cube troller for example). I have a kinect that is useless just like the Wii, and would prefer a normal controller for many games. I also hope it's BC with the cube as well.

EDIT: According to NeoGaf, it will have a new controller with a built in screen (like the VMU on the DC), and will be more powerful then the 360 and the PS3. Since the 360 is dated (2005 hardware), I'm up for a new console. I wonder if it's true 1080p however, or upscaled 640p like the 360 and PS3.

EDIT: According to NeoGaf, it will have a new controller with a built in screen (like the VMU on the DC), and will be more powerful then the 360 and the PS3. Since the 360 is dated (2005 hardware), I'm up for a new console. I wonder if it's true 1080p however, or upscaled 640p like the 360 and PS3.

Which is the dumbest idea ever. Wiimote variation with a HD screen? A small HD screen on something that's bound to get tossed around accidentally? Yeah, gonna hate to work in Nintendo's repair hotline department for that one.

Doubt that will pan out.

And I thought they learned by how many people threw their Wii remotes into their TVs.

It seems like a good idea and better than PS3 is a plus

"Backwards compatible with current Wii software"? Does that include stuff from the WiiShop?

Oh, it had better since the 3DS doesn't. *has 20 games saved on an SD card*

Anyway, this was inevitable. Nintendo couldn't stay away from HD forever (though I can). I just hope they keep it more original like Wii. PS3 only does everything "except play games", and even if that's all it does again, I'll be satisfied.

Which is the dumbest idea ever. Wiimote variation with a HD screen? A small HD screen on something that's bound to get tossed around accidentally? Yeah, gonna hate to work in Nintendo's repair hotline department for that one.

I think the fact that it's a *new* controller means it won't be a Wiimote. It'll probably be the new version of the Wii's Classic controller. Ten bucks say it's a touch screen.

As one of the few people who enjoyed the Wii, I am looking forward to what Nintendo can create with the Wii2.

Apparently the screen on the controllers are HD as well (as per rumour) which would be quite weird considering the 3DS doesn't even have a HD screen.

there is no point for a New Wii
And It Must Not Be New gAMES AND hd RELESES

Oh, it had better since the 3DS doesn't. *has 20 games saved on an SD card*

Anyway, this was inevitable. Nintendo couldn't stay away from HD forever (though I can). I just hope they keep it more original like Wii. PS3 only does everything "except play games", and even if that's all it does again, I'll be satisfied.

The Wii later had NetFlix support added in, and that's all my parents use my Wii for now. And the 3ds has multimedia functionality built in as well.

My secret inside sources tell me the new system will be called the Super Wiicube Entertainment Boy Advance 64 SP Pocket Micro Lite.

On a serious note, I'm eager to see what Nintendo will roll out this time.

I dont know why they need a new console now. Im not gonna fork over 300 dollars if its not completely fabulous and better than the Wii was. In my opinion its too soon.

Nintendo hasn't been focusing much on the Wii. While the 360 and PS3 were more or less traditional consoles, the Wii tried to be different. It sold at first, but the sales are starting to sag, while the Wii lacks strong third party titles. Big name games like Black Ops end up having worse versions on the Wii due to the poor online, while shovelware is common.

If Nintendo came out with a new console, it would be like the 360. MS had a head start and ended up outselling the PS3. Sony or MS could always steal the show like with the NGP, however, by making an announcement of an even more powerful console.

Nintendo has to keep up with the competetion this time though, as part of the reason that made the 360 big was the online. If Nintendo still uses FCs on the new console, then people aren't going to like it, and will go back to the 360. Right now, the PSP is outselling the 3ds in Japan, Nintendo doesn't want that.

I think the fact that it's a *new* controller means it won't be a Wiimote. It'll probably be the new version of the Wii's Classic controller. Ten bucks say it's a touch screen.

Some reports indicated it is still a motion controller.

Nintendo hasn't been focusing much on the Wii. While the 360 and PS3 were more or less traditional consoles, the Wii tried to be different. It sold at first, but the sales are starting to sag, while the Wii lacks strong third party titles. Big name games like Black Ops end up having worse versions on the Wii due to the poor online, while shovelware is common.

If Nintendo came out with a new console, it would be like the 360. MS had a head start and ended up outselling the PS3. Sony or MS could always steal the show like with the NGP, however, by making an announcement of an even more powerful console.

Nintendo has to keep up with the competetion this time though, as part of the reason that made the 360 big was the online. If Nintendo still uses FCs on the new console, then people aren't going to like it, and will go back to the 360. Right now, the PSP is outselling the 3ds in Japan, Nintendo doesn't want that.

its about time they dump the Friend Code system

I dont know why they need a new console now. Im not gonna fork over 300 dollars if its not completely fabulous and better than the Wii was. In my opinion its too soon.

Actually a Generation generally lasts about 5 years, and it's been 5 years since the release of the Wii and the PS3. PS3 and Xbox pretty much covered their jump into the next generation of consoles with Move and Kinect, so that just leaves Nintendo.

As for a need, there is absolute need. The Wii is designed and has the label of a casual gaming console, which was great back when it was released because before then there wasn't really a casual gaming market beyond Bejeweled. But now companies like Zynga are one-upping Nintendo, providing games you don't have to pay for on your computer instead of an expensive console. Essentially, Nintendo can't really hit the casual market the way they've been doing with the Wii anymore, which, I suspect, is the primary reason they're returning to the hardcore gaming market. For that, they need a brand new system that's designed for that kind of serious game.

In fact I predicted a few months back that if Nintendo didn't reveal their Eighth Generation Console at this E3 with either the same or similar multimedia functionality as the 360 and PS3, or a pure gaming console that blows anything Sony or Microsoft could even dream of out of the water in terms of power, graphics, and innovation, then they were going the way of Sega circa 2001. This was the smartest possible move for them if they wanted to remain in the Console Wars.

More reports in that the controller does in fact have a screen?

Gonna be interesting to see how this turns out. Can't see it ending well, but maybe that's why I don't work for Nintendo :p

Controller with screen would be useful in say FPS games. Kids want the best platform for their FPSes, and if the Wii has the best, then kids will buy it.

As for the rumored specs, they scream "360!". The triple core PPC CPU and an ATI GPU place it on par with the 360, along with 512mb of ram, which the 360 has. It will probably have a more powerful GPU, however, since the 360 is still using 2005 tech.

Also, I wonder what MS and Sony will do with regards to a new console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom