• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation No Eeveelution that evolves by trade?

Reaction score
So far, all the Eeveelution methods have been shown as...

1. Using evolution stones (Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon)
2. High friendship (Umbreon, Espeon) or Ribbons(PMD)
3. Specific locations near specific rocks (Leafeon, Glaceon)
4. High amie affection (Sylveon)

Those are almost all the evolution methods that other pokemon uses as well. But for some reason, you can't evolve Eevee by trade. What's more, trade-evolution existed ever since Generation 1, yet they never used it for one of the many ways to evolve Eevee.

Why do you think Eevee was never made to evolve by trade?

I don't think a trade-evolution Eevee is a good idea. Actually I can't really explain why, but it just doesn't fit. Eevee is like a starter pokemon to me, and starters don't evolve by trading. I also can't see Eevee as a pokemon you just give away, even if it's just for an evolution. (I probably sound so crazy right now lol). But I welcome other evolution methods for Eevee, maybe with specific moves or other polemon in the party.

I always thought you got an Umbreon or Espeon by having it hold a Moon/Sun stone and trading it when I was a little kid. I don't think it was until Platinum that I realized how foolish I was. And that was like 9 years later. Somehow, I still managed to get an Umbreon, but I attributed it to a glitch, since I also once got a Gengar and Alakazam by level up.

They probably will add a Eeveelution that evolves through trade, that is if they do ever add any more Eeveelutions.

They probably will add a Eeveelution that evolves through trade, that is if they do ever add any more Eeveelutions.

I doubt it, because each time new Eeveelutions have come about, the evo method is always something new. The Eeveelution is usually there to showcase the new method.
Trading has been around since Gen I, and with items since Gen II.

Even if you traded the Eevee with a specific item with a specific pokemon with 2 hearts in amie with the time and the overworld weather being something specific and holding the console upside-down while singing the Canadian national anthem... it's all been done before. (Except the Canada bit, i was using hyperbole for humorous effect.) If ever there will be a new Eevee, there will be a new evo method to go with it.

Eeveelution is based on Eevee changing it's Genetic code to evolve.

All the current methods changes their Genetic code one way or another either physically or mentally.

Trading can only be done if there was another pokemon that can somehow affect Eevee's Genetic Code (like the other paired evolution pokemons)

So... what kind of pokemon would fit with Eevee to change their Genetic Code?

Also, what other "Type" would it even fit for this Trade?
Bug - would look way weird on a dog animal...
Dragon - not that bad, would be interesting to see it gain dragon wings
Fight - LOL, it'll be one of those legendary fighting dogs
Flying - really... a flying eevee
Ghost - donno about this, sounds like Eevee died and than evolves...
Ground - feels like it would just be the same as normal eevee but fatter?
Poison - da were-eevee
Rock - a pet rock eevee...
Steel - Robo Eevee

Well, another thing I can think of is, "Duel Typing".

Where Eevee gains a second type based on the pokemon it's traded with.

Technically with this idea, Eevee can end up with Normal/"blah" of all Types...

Or could maybe do some weird thing where it completes the requirement for the other evolves or holding the items.
So when it trades, it gains the types as it evolve.
IE: holding Fire Stone, Trade with a water type, It becomes Fire/Water type Eevee (or whatever name they come up with)

Tho... this is probably too complex, so GameFreak would just end up with the regular one typing.

It would be great new eevelution, i had found really annoyng the fact that in gen VI there wasnt a paired eevelution, in that case, a Poison or dragon.
Anyway, i think we will have a trading method in the future. I dont like this way of evolving pokemon, but eevolutions should represent all methods of evolution, not just the new. The way that Sylveon evolved wasnt really new.

Besides this, theres no eeve thats evolves through weather condition. Maybe evolve into rock when there is sandstorm?
Theres no eevelution when holding a item.
Lacks the gender eevelution. Probably some gender will evolve when learns certain attack in certain level. I hope the two gender evolves into different types.
And we need to get the eevelution when theres certain pokemon type in the party.

Honestly, I don't want any new trade-evolution Pokemon. Since some people live in rural areas where not many others might play Pokemon, and others have social issues and aren't able to make many friends, it's sort of a dick move for the only way to evolve certain Pokemon for these kinds of people to be buying two systems and two games. That being said, there should probably be an Eeveelution that evolves by leveling up with a specific move (like Iron Tail for a Steel-type, Double Kick for a Fighting-type, etc.).

Ok, so the following are all methods of evolution. The missing types (Normal, Rock, Ground, Steel, Fighting, Poison, Bug, Flying, Dragon, Ghost) all could apply to many of these.

Regular Leveling-up: Eevee can't do this. It would be a major retcon if they added one that WAS level-up, and they've never retconned an evolution family. Same goes for Form-dependent Evolution a la Burmy.

High Friendship: Umbreon and Espeon do this, during night and day respectively.

Knowing a certain move: Sylveon does this with any Fairy-type move (and the Pokémon-A-Mie hearts). But since movepools get expanded every generation, this could be done without a retcon. If they keep the type-specific move like Sylveon, this opens us up to a Bug, Rock, Dragon or Flying Eeveelution, as all other types are represented in Eevee's current movepool or the Eeveelutions. This would be the best way IMO to introduce the Dragon Eeveelution as a counterpart to Sylveon.

Trained in a certain area: Leafeon and Glaceon do this, evolving in forests and tundras with their respective rocks.

Times of day: Again, Espeon and Umbreon.

While holding an item: No Eeveelution does this. This method would be ideal for the Normal type Eeveelution, as said item could stabilize Eevee's genetic structure upon evolution.

Evolving with a specific Pokémon or type in the party (Mantyke, Pancham): No Eeveelution does this.

Maxing out a contest stat (Feebas): No Eeveelution does this.

Gender dependent evolution (Combee): No Eeveelution does this. Though they could introduce size differences for the Bug-type Eeveelution a la Pumpkaboo.

Manipulating the 3DS' gyroscope (Inkay --> Malamar): No Eeveelution does this. This would be cool for the Flying.

Weather Conditions in the overworld (Goodra): No Eeveelution does this. Sandstorms could apply to Rock and Ground types, Fog for Ghost and Poison, and Heavy Winds (if made into an overworld condition) for Flying.

Stats (Tyrogue): No Eeveelution does this.

Personality Value (Wurmple): No Eeveelution does this.

Evolution Stone: Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon do this. With the most recent stones being introduced in Generation 4, adding any new Stone-Based Eeveelutions would be a retcon. Adding stones in the future could open up Eeveelutions of any type.

No-Item Trade Evolutions: No Eeveelution does this. Adding one would be a retcon.

Item Trade Evolutions: No Eeveelution does this.

Trading for a certain Pokémon: No Eeveelution does this currently, adding one in the future is possible.

Ok, so the following are all methods of evolution. The missing types (Normal, Rock, Ground, Steel, Fighting, Poison, Bug, Flying, Dragon, Ghost) all could apply to many of these.

While holding an item: No Eeveelution does this. This method would be ideal for the Normal type Eeveelution, as said item could stabilize Eevee's genetic structure upon evolution.

Evolving with a specific Pokémon or type in the party (Mantyke, Pancham): No Eeveelution does this.

Maxing out a contest stat (Feebas): No Eeveelution does this.

Gender dependent evolution (Combee): No Eeveelution does this. Though they could introduce size differences for the Bug-type Eeveelution a la Pumpkaboo.

Manipulating the 3DS' gyroscope (Inkay --> Malamar): No Eeveelution does this. This would be cool for the Flying.

Weather Conditions in the overworld (Goodra): No Eeveelution does this. Sandstorms could apply to Rock and Ground types, Fog for Ghost and Poison, and Heavy Winds (if made into an overworld condition) for Flying.

Stats (Tyrogue): No Eeveelution does this.

Personality Value (Wurmple): No Eeveelution does this.

No-Item Trade Evolutions: No Eeveelution does this. Adding one would be a retcon.

Item Trade Evolutions: No Eeveelution does this.

Trading for a certain Pokémon: No Eeveelution does this currently, adding one in the future is possible.

Aaaw, thank you, theres so much random methods of evolutions that is hard to remeber. IMO this is the most probable methods

-Eeve can be evolved when traded for a new pokemon, and when holding a new item.
-And evolves with a especific new Pokemon in the party, of the same type of the eevelution.
-About the personality value, would recommend evolution into two types, with some other factor influencing .
-Gender idem.
-And in the future we should get a evolution through weather conditions, ghost and rock are the more likely options.

Normal evolution, by level, isnt viable. And trade evolution without item is not recommended, since the method already could have been used, but never was. It makes no sense now out nowhere Eeve evolves when traded.

I would find it horribly annoying if Eevee evolved by weather conditions, since this is not always controlled by the player, but sometimes by the game NPCs. Like, I want an Espeon, and boom, foe used Sandstorm. Effort wasted.

I would find it horribly annoying if Eevee evolved by weather conditions, since this is not always controlled by the player, but sometimes by the game NPCs. Like, I want an Espeon, and boom, foe used Sandstorm. Effort wasted.

Save and reset the game.

I vote Rivaleon or tusleon Fighting type, evolves when max happiness is zero !

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom