• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

No Greninja as a playable fighter in Pokkén Tournament/DX? Why not?

thomaswiencek

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I thought that many Greninja fans are commenting that the developers didn't include it as a playable fighter in Pokkén Tournament and DX, the games for the arcade, Wii U and Nintendo Switch? Now I wonder why you guys think?

They can't just use up all their popular Pokémon in the first game, and since Sun/Moon is out, it'd make sense to choose something that first appeared in those games over a Pokemon from an earlier Gen for DX.

I always thought it was because it already appeared as a playable character in SSB.

If that was the case, then we wouldn't have Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, and Mewtwo in it.
Agreed. I don't mind much besides the fact that all of those other Smash mainstays are in. Only thing I think it could be is since it's a new face compared to all of those other long time fan favorites the devs don't think it is quite as popular or famous as those others and therefor not as necessary. Sorta similer to why I think Jiggly isn't in. I guess Greninja needs a few more years of overwhelming popularity first. Maybe after more Smashes (if it doesn't go the way of Ivy, Squirtle, and almost Jiggly).

Instead of all their popular Pokémon in Pokkén Tournament/DX, what kind of their Pokémon do you think they used up?

Anything could still happen. Greninja appearing and being able to become Ash-Greninja seems fitting for Pokken. Personally though, I'm more excited when they give lesser Pokemon like Suicune, Chandelure, Braixen etc. the spotlight in these games, rather than only using the more universally popular Pokemon-I was so stoked to see Decidueye be chosen as the latest fighter.

I think it will be beneficial to the sales if they included Greninja.
Greninja does have the largest fan base among all Gen 6 Pokemon.

I'm also unsure as to why they only have Decidueye as a Gen 7 Pokemon.
Add more Gen 7.

I'm not too bothered. Greninja is more like Zoroark than Charizard and Lucario, it's had its time in the sun.

I think it will be beneficial to the sales if they included Greninja.
Greninja does have the largest fan base among all Gen 6 Pokemon.

I'm also unsure as to why they only have Decidueye as a Gen 7 Pokemon.
Add more Gen 7.

Pokemon like Incineroar, Midnight Lycanroc, and even Kommo-o would be great picks for this game. I really wish they’d add more Gen VII Pokemon.

Ok, and what type of fighter are they going to add to the game? Remember, in a good fighting game each character feels unique.

The reason Greninja isn't in Pokken is because it's already in a fighting game (I know I know technically Charizard is too, but that predates all this by at least a decade) Also Greninja has had its time. We're not in gen 6 anymore so it doesn't make sense for them to keep harping on it regardless of popularity. Them adding Pokemon like Decidueye is more important than them adding a Pokemon from a complete gen earlier.

I know this is a really old thread, but I want anyone else like me wanting to find this out later to understand. Back when this game came out, greninja wasn't rated number one on the most popular pokemon list and wasn't the pokemon players always wanted. Times have changed and while we may want to play as him now, he wasn't the most popular choice back in 2017. I'm sure if there was another sequel they would add him as a playable character.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom