• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

No, really. Why were aspects of Japan present in the anime deemed problematic?

What i'm saying is, no one here has the right to call the western dubbing practices problematic - only those who are from Japan or are Japanese.
That's a pretty ridiculous thing to ask for. Most people in Japan hardly see or understand english dubs of their shows.

I'm also not sure how many people in Japan would really care about any changes made in an English dub. Not only because of how they may not understand English, but it most likely wouldn't affect their enjoyment or opinions on a series either. A bad dub or bad changes made to an English dub doesn't change that they can still watch the original version in their naive language.

I think this falls along the lines of (this is not your fight). You don't belong to this ethnicity/race, therefore you should only be there as an ally - not the person leading the charge.
I mean, it's one thing to call out racism as a white person (where you actively see it), but it's another to make assumptions based off another culture without belonging to it yourself. But that's how I view it.

Perhaps, but then how come later episodes of Pokémon seem to need to be made to be more English compatible while the creative team for the US version of Simpsons can still keep it as American as possible?

I think this falls along the lines of (this is not your fight).

The burden of getting white people to stop being problematic should not fall on the minorities being discriminated against.

You don't belong to this ethnicity/race, therefore you should only be there as an ally - not the person leading the charge.

I'm not "the person leading the charge" though.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom