• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

No School Like the Old School (Tourney)

UB-01 Kenobi

If she's UB-01, I'm UB-01
Reaction score
The competitive Pokémon metagame has changed a lot over the years, with many sets falling out of favor as things like Stealth Rock and permaweather became dominant. The metagame changed once again in the transition to XY, and it's finally settling down (as we prepare for Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire to shake it up again). However, one notable thing about X and Y is the fact that for one reason or another, ranging from new items being introduced to Defog making hazard removal a cinch to weather only lasting 5-8 turns or even to an old Pokémon gaining a new lease on life with a Mega, a bunch of classic competitive sets have become usable or even straight up viable once again. For instance Mega Garchomp's huge SpA buff revitalized the classic ChainChomp wallbreaker set, and DDnite and AgiliGross got Weakness Policy so they could boost more effectively. The goal of this tourney is to dig around in the Pokémon Hall of Fame and see what sets, with a little revamping, are still deadly in today's metagame.

Format:

6v6 OU

Battles take place on Pokémon Showdown, as classic sets often require classic TMs and tutor moves that can be hard to obtain

Rules

OU clauses (Evasion, Sleep, Baton Pass, Endless Battle, Species)

OU bans (Uber Pokémon and items, Swagger, Moody)

All teams must be built around 1 revamped classic set

No two participants may have the same classic set as their cornerstone

Classic Sets

'Classic' is vague and nebulous, and this is meant to be accessible to new players who weren't around for these sets' heydays and may not recognize them on sight, so I'll do my best to provide a list of classic sets below. If you'd like to use a set that isn't on this list, just give me a shout in-thread, over VM, or through PM and I'll give you a quick yes/no. As a precaution, these are given in their original format, with EV spreads and movesets designed for their debut generations. Thus, tweaking is highly encouraged - the rule is to keep the spirit of the set, not to use the exact set provided. For instance, I wouldn't recommend using mixed BellyZard despite that being the standard in R/S/E, and Sand Veil + Leftovers is probably not as effective for Britscor as Poison Heal + Toxic Orb, which was introduced a generation after Britscor fell out of favor for SubToxic Gliscor. Howeve, GSC sets will be using their RSE variants as the mechanics changes make GSC sets incompatible with modern Pokémon.

AgiliGross (Adv)
~~~~~~~
Metagross @ Leftovers
Clear Body
Adamant
160 HP/252 Atk/96 Spe
~Meteor Mash
~Earthquake
~Agility
~Explosion/Rock Slide

BellyZard (GSC)
~~~~~~
Charizard @ Salac Berry
Blaze
Lonely
252 Atk/120 SAtk/136 Spe
~Substitute
~Belly Drum
~Fire Blast
~HP Flying/Earthquake

Britscor (DPPt)
~~~~~
Gliscor @ Leftovers
Sand Veil
Jolly
252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
~Taunt
~Toxic/U-Turn
~Roost
~Earthquake

ChainChomp (DPPt)
~~~~~~~~
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Sand Veil
Lonely/Naughty
16 Atk/252 SAtk/240 Spe
~Swords Dance
~Earthquake
~Draco Meteor
~Fire Blast

CroCune (Adv)
~~~~~~
Suicune @ Leftovers
Pressure
Bold
252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
~Calm Mind
~Surf
~Rest
~Sleep Talk

CurseLax (GSC)
~~~~~~
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Thick Fat
Adamant
144 HP/68 Atk/132 Def/164 SpD
~Curse
~Body Slam
~Earthquake/Fire Blast/Shadow Ball/HP Steel
~Rest

DDNite (Adv)
~~~~~
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Inner Focus
Lonely
52 HP/204 Atk/68 SAtk/184 Spe
~Dragon Dance
~HP Flying
~Earthquake
~Thunder/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt

Double Dance Porygon-Z (DPPt)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Adaptability
Modest
4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
~Nasty Plot
~Agility
~Tri Attack
~Dark Pulse/Hidden Power Fighting

MixMence (Adv)
~~~~~~
Salamence @ Leftovers
Intimidate
Rash
24 Atk/232 SAtk/252 Spe
~HP Grass
~Fire Blast
~Brick Break
~Dragon Claw/Rock Slide

ScarfTar (DPPt)
~~~~~~
Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Sand Stream
Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
~Crunch
~Earthquake/Superpower
~Stone Edge
~Pursuit

SpinMieRightRound (GSC)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Starmie @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Timid
252 HP/40 SAtk/216 Spe
~Rapid Spin
~Recover
~Surf
~Thunderbolt/Ice Beam

Stallrein (DPPt)
~~~~~~
Walrein @ Leftovers
Ice Body
Bold
232 HP/252 Def/24 SpD
~Protect
~Substitute
~Toxic/Roar/Super Fang
~Surf/Blizzard

Stupidest Shit Ever (BWB2W2)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jellicent @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Calm
252 HP/36 Def/220 SDef
~Energy Ball
~Recover
~Scald
~Will-O-Wisp/Taunt/Ice Beam/Toxic

Tinkerbell (DPPt)
~~~~~~
Celebi @ Life Orb
Natural Cure
Modest
232 HP/240 SAtk/36 Spe
~Thunder Wave
~Leaf Storm
~HP Fire/Psychic/U-Turn
~Recover/Rest

TormenTran (DPPt)
~~~~~~~~
Heatran @ Leftovers
Flash Fire
Calm
244 HP/36 SpA/12 SpD/216 Spe
~Torment
~Protect
~Substitute
~Lava Plume/Taunt

TyraniBOAH (Adv)
~~~~~~~
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Quiet
Sand Stream
252 HP/52 Atk/176 SAtk/28 Spe
~Substitute
~Focus Punch
~Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower
~Crunch/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower

This is far from all of the 'classic sets', so, like I said, if you have something else you want to use, give me a shout. Some general guidelines are these: If it has a funny/cute name, it probably counts. If it is still used today in high level OU play, it probably doesn't count. ("But GB!", you cry in indignation. "Dragonite, Garchomp, and Tyranitar are all still used in high level play!" True, but Banded DNite and CBBNite, ScarfChomp and Sash Rocks Chomp, and Sash Rocks Tar and Mega DDance Tar are the sets of choice at the moment.)

Revamping

Like I said, you almost certainly do NOT want to c/p the above sets and use 'em vanilla as they were designed specifically for certain metagames, and the metagame has changed since then. However, you are limited to revamping the set, not changing its spirit. Here are some examples:

YES:

TyraniBOAH V2.0
~~~~~~~~~~~
Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Sand Stream
Rash
252 HP / 132 SAtk / 124 Spd
~Substitute
~Focus Punch
~Ice Beam
~Fire Blast

Mixed SubPunch Tyranitar with the core idea of breaking common walls. Focus Punch nabs Chansey and Heatran and is a strong neutral or SE hit on your common switch-ins like Keldeo and Terrakion. Ice Beam wrecks Landorus (I and T), Gliscor, and Garchomp, while 2HKOing Hippo and CBBNite (has a chance to OHKO CBBNite with Rocks). It also is a nice hit on Thundurus and is 100% accurate vs Breloom. Fire Blast beats Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Mega Mawile and hits Breloom harder than Ice Beam. EVs are for 101 HP Subs and to outspeed min speed Rotom-W, a common benchmark that things like MMawile go for, allowing you to outspeed or speed-tie them and hit them with, say, a Fire Blast (to continue with the MMawile example). SpA EVs gurantee the OHKO on standard Garchomp and the other 4x Ice weaks follow him, Fire Blast kills standard Mega Scizor 100% of the time, physically defensive Ferrothorn 100% of the time after Rocks, 208 SpD Ferro 12.5% of the time after Rocks, and 2HKOes MMawile, who you outspeed and who has to waste a turn breaking your Sub assuming proper prediction.

NO:

BellyZard V2.0
~~~~~~~~~
Charizard @ Charizardite X
Blaze->Tough Claws
Adamant
248 HP/152 Atk/108 Spe
~Roost
~Dragon Dance
~Earthquake
~Dragon Claw

Yes, it is a 2 attack Charizard that boosts Speed and Atk in preparation for a sweep, but it lacks, well, Belly Drum. BellyZard is a high-risk high-reward Pokémon that fell out of favor when the risk increased exponentially (Stealth Rock) while the reward remained about the same. This bulky DD Zard X is a low-risk high-reward Pokémon that aims to sweep with minimal chance for misplay - a revamped BellyZard would aim to sweep despite relatively high chance for misplay, and thus would fail more often than this Zard (which is why it's never ever used competitively and would make you a laughingstock anywhere except in this tourney!), but when it did succeed it would be much harder to stop due to its much higher power. Power comparison, with both 'Zard's given 2 turns to set up (DD + DD, Sub + BD):

+2 152+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 535-630 (103.8 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Blaze Charizard Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 600-706 (175.9 - 207%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Application

Leave an in thread comment that contains your Pokémon Showdown username (it's easy and free if you don't have one) and the classic set you will be using. PM me the revamped version of that set at some point prior to the tourney so I can make sure it follows the revamp rule. Sets are first come first serve - even ones not on the list. If someone else PMed me and asked for that set before you, sorry! Anyone can join, whether or not you were around in these sets' heydays - this is both a fun nostalgia trip for us old fogies and a fun history lesson for all you babbies. :)

Prizes

The winner gets first pick out of an Adamant 5IV (-SAtk) Blaze Charmander with the egg moves Belly Drum and Dragon Dance and a Naughty 5IV (-SDef) Sand Veil Gible (Don't be "that guy" - Mega right away unless there's no sand!). Runner up gets the leftover.

Participants

1. TerraTF (ChainChomp)
2. JustTheFX (Stupidest Shit Ever)
3. BadAssGardevoir (Barkanine)
4. AnybodyAgrees (SABER Aron)
5. Apawn (Hazard Control Forretress)
6. DragonEspeon (CurseLax)
7. sharkshocker (CroCune)
8. TheRealJDawgz (FEARgle)
9. Professor_Jared (Double Dance Porygon-Z)

Start Date

At 16 sign ups or July 6th, whichever comes first

Last edited:
I'd like to sign up, but I may have to do some research on the ye-olde sets to see if I find one I like, so just put me down as a maybe for now.

In. TerraTF is my PS name. if only we played the gens were big in

I'll join.
PS Username: LeCoqGrande
Set: Can I get that Jellicent Set? If so, i'll send you the details in a PM for the revamped (or am I revamping it?) version. Hehehe-
And will there be Item Clause?

I'd like to sign up, but I may have to do some research on the ye-olde sets to see if I find one I like, so just put me down as a maybe for now.
I'll save you a spot for now :)
In. TerraTF is my PS name. if only we played the gens were big in
Sure.
I'll join.
PS Username: LeCoqGrande
Set: Can I get that Jellicent Set? If so, i'll send you the details in a PM for the revamped (or am I revamping it?) version. Hehehe-
And will there be Item Clause?

You have Jelly! You are responsible for revamping it and then PMing me the details.
For Jelly, pretty much the only constant is Energy Ball - that's what made it famous, with Somalia's rage quit. So you have plenty of creative liberty there. :) No item clause, this is straight OU.

Last edited:
Are we allowed to use unreleased things? If so, count me in for Custap Wynaut(Was a thing in gen 4 Ubers).

If not, I'll use... a FEAR team.

i wish to join, i have an oldskhool set myself Modifided Rotom W, ill post it later though

Are we allowed to use unreleased things? If so, count me in for Custap Wynaut(Was a thing in gen 4 Ubers).

If not, I'll use... a FEAR team.

No unreleased stuff, sorry, but FEAR Ratata or SABER Aron certainly counts. :)
i wish to join, i have an oldskhool set myself Modifided Rotom W, ill post it later though

Rotom-W never fell from glory, so he doesn't count - sorry!

BTW, I never said I was using a Rattata. I just meant FEAR in general. So I may or may not have a Rattata, but I may also have stuff like Magnemite and Cottonee, for example.

BTW, I never said I was using a Rattata. I just meant FEAR in general. So I may or may not have a Rattata, but I may also have stuff like Magnemite and Cottonee, for example.

You can use as many as you want but you need 1 set as your "cornerstone" - I assumed you meant Rattata, but if you want something else I can change it.

Well sign me up, and I'll be taking the old Porygon-Z build.

PS Name: Regular_Sazabi

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom