• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Non-English version thread

MissDelibirda

Somewhat prudish.
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/her
This is a thread for discussion of the versions of the games besides the English ones, but including the original Japanese versions. Quirks with quotes? Names better than the English ones? Wacky inconsistencies? Language-based gameplay bugs? Discuss stuff like that here!

prog rocker

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
Well, I played Emerald and Blue in Spanish and... well, they were hard to sit through. Not because it was bad, it's that it was too... European?

I had to get used to completely different slang and translation conventions than I was used to when I watched the Latin American anime (which has (had?) an extremely inconsistent translation):

-In every game post-Johto most important characters had different names, e.g.: Falkner was "Pegaso" and Wattson "Erico" which made things awkward in my mind.

-Same with the cities. The Gen I anime used the European names, which made things familiar when I played Blue. However, they kept the English names for the Gen III anime, which made it difficult to talk about some things with classmates that had the European games.

-Something positive: They kept the English names. At first I wondered why they did that... and then I saw Yo-Kai Watch's translation. My God... it was full of dad jokes. Although there's still a Pokémon that got a different name (Type: Null or "Código Cero" in Spanish.

While I might sound harsh towards the European version, it's because I didn't expect that much changes, and from what I also remember, it was at the time where translations were stepping up their game, so maybe I should give them another chance... And possibly check out the LA translations of the Gen VI-VIII games.

MissDelibirda

Somewhat prudish.
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/her
That could be a good idea. They stopped translating from the English version in BW, so trying those games or any later ones would perhaps work the best.