• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Non-English version thread

Reaction score
This is a thread for discussion of the versions of the games besides the English ones, but including the original Japanese versions. Quirks with quotes? Names better than the English ones? Wacky inconsistencies? Language-based gameplay bugs? Discuss stuff like that here!

Well, I played Emerald and Blue in Spanish and... well, they were hard to sit through. Not because it was bad, it's that it was too... European?

I had to get used to completely different slang and translation conventions than I was used to when I watched the Latin American anime (which has (had?) an extremely inconsistent translation):

-In every game post-Johto most important characters had different names, e.g.: Falkner was "Pegaso" and Wattson "Erico" which made things awkward in my mind.

-Same with the cities. The Gen I anime used the European names, which made things familiar when I played Blue. However, they kept the English names for the Gen III anime, which made it difficult to talk about some things with classmates that had the European games.

-Something positive: They kept the English names. At first I wondered why they did that... and then I saw Yo-Kai Watch's translation. My God... it was full of dad jokes. Although there's still a Pokémon that got a different name (Type: Null or "Código Cero" in Spanish.

While I might sound harsh towards the European version, it's because I didn't expect that much changes, and from what I also remember, it was at the time where translations were stepping up their game, so maybe I should give them another chance... And possibly check out the LA translations of the Gen VI-VIII games.

That could be a good idea. They stopped translating from the English version in BW, so trying those games or any later ones would perhaps work the best.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom