• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Non-GameFreak Main Series Pokémon?

Non-GameFreak Main Series Game

• Yes

• No

• Waaaaah-bbbbuffet!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Weiss

Cold As Ice
Reaction score
Would you be ok if a main game was made by someone other than GameFreak? It could alternate between devs the way Call of Duty does for example.

If yes then who?

If no then why?

Definitely. Game Freak is proving that they can't hack it in the console era, they're just too small to make a quality console game.

What I'd really like is for Nintendo to own the series and develop it themselves, but I'm not sure if that could happen (any chance they could buy out Game Freak's share of the IP?).

I'm interpreting "main series" as being apart of the larger, interconnected timeline. In this case, I absolutely would love expanded/anthology games that don't follow a child protagonist with roughly the same starter->champion journey. Playing as a Gym Leader is something I've always wanted to do, and it'd be fun to know what the process of becoming one and running a Gym would be like. Same with the Elite Four, Breeders, Officers, or Lorekeepers (might be using that label wrong, but someone who focuses on preserving the legendaries).

I have no malice for Game Freak, but I feel their priorities wouldn't make games with selectable Trainer Classes reach its full potential.

Last edited:
From track records with Pokemon games, I'd say Genius Sorority (the team behind Stadium, Colosseum, XD, Battle Revolution) mostly nailed in-battle attack animations. Sure that was more than a few generations ago, but....

From track records in general, maybe Square Enix in the sense of their Bravely Default / Octopath Traveler teams (could you imagine Pokemon in the latter style?) .

Game Freak can still have the lead designers but, yeah, it's clear they just don't have the resources to polish the workload they're doing each gen.

Sure. I’d be thrilled if Nintendo themselves decided to make the Pokemon games themselves. They’ve manage to revolutionize Mario and Zelda, Pokémon has so much potential to be a fantastic RPG, but GF doesn’t want to go forward. Instead they want to go backward. It feels as if the Pokémon brand is the only reason why the main series games are being made: just to create new mons to profit.

I'm interpreting "main series" as being apart of the larger, interconnected timeline. In this case, I absolutely would love expanded/anthology games that don't follow a child protagonist with roughly the same starter->champion journey. Playing as a Gym Leader is something I've always wanted to do, and it'd be fun to know what the process of becoming one and running a Gym would be like. Same with the Elite Four, Breeders, Officers, or Lorekeepers (might be using that label wrong, but someone who focuses on preserving the legendaries).
Thanks for speaking my thoughts. (y)

Innovation is inevitable if one wants to continue to be successful in current society. If Game Freak cannot deliver, there are hundreds of other companies who would be more than willing to take their spot for sure.

Would I like it? I'm pretty indifferent, to be rather honest. So long that the mains series games can continue to improve and not fall short, I would be happy.

Thanks everyone for taking part not feeling too good right now and the kids are off for summer vacation. So we give our kids a break from homeschooling which leaves me with too much free time.

I have no malice for Game Freak, but I feel their priorities wouldn't make games with selectable Trainer Classes reach its full potential.

I was actually just referring to the handheld Red, Green, Blue etc series. I’m happy you broadened the topic though; I didn’t want to for purposes of the poll. I’d like to see what you suggest but I doubt it will ever happen due to them still only concentrating on kids as their target demographic.

Last edited:
Yes, of course. Actually at this point, I might even prefer that over GF continuing to make the games.

I couldn't have really said it better myself. Given what we know about Sw/Sh, I would definitely prefer to see another company take a crack at Pokémon. My top two choices would be Nintendo, themselves, since they own at least part of the franchise, or Square Enix given their track record with RPGs.

It's more of a curiosity, but I would definitely like to see Pokemon created by other studios. I'd also like to see Pokemon take a different spin on RPG.

It's more of a curiosity, but I would definitely like to see Pokemon created by other studios. I'd also like to see Pokemon take a different spin on RPG.

Agree I’d live to be able to level up my trainer in order to catch better Pokémon. I dislike the trend to Live Service games and MMO-Lites but I’d pay a sub for a Pokémon WoW like game. Each Expansion is a new Region start Kanto then Johto etc. All playable offline or online with other players populating the world.

#Dreams

I’d like to see what you suggest but I doubt it will ever happen due to them still only concentrating on kids as their target demographic.
Game Freak and the Pokemon franchise as a whole can still focus on kids, and their dedication to always having an introductory game is, to an extent, admirable. And I don't see them budging anytime soon.

I just don't think this should be at the expense of older fans who they've worked hard to maintain. I'm confident another studio working in tandem with Game Freak would not only lighten the work load, but with proper spacing they could still do yearly releases.

That, and without sounding too "bAcK iN mY dAys", I think games geared higher up with their demographics probably won't deter children from wanting to play them. Plenty of T-rated games I would say are still appropriate for kids, it just depends on the brand. This is the case for the MCU, since the Marvel logo on its own does a lot of the work and the films are advertised towards families. Despite the movies all being PG-13 instead of G, there's still casual movie-goers who bring their kids and hardcore fans who love the characters and expanded universe.

I guess a more accurate comparison to Pokemon would be having WDAS/Pixar make a PG-13 movie. Even then, I don't think most casual movie-goes would even notice. I apparently was wrong in thinking both the Incredibles movies were PG-13 what with the actual person-on-person violence, but I guess the logos seep their way into age-ratings as well, at least until the MPAA are more transparent on their process.

Either way, I'm just curious on what other studios can do to not only expand on the world of Pokemon, but also what they can do with the models and animations.

I am not very familiar with Square Enix games, but obviously they're the JRPG company and TPCi may as well go big if they ever step out of their comfort zone. A Pokemon game set in the distant past without many of our conventions, has a lot of potential. I guess it could be called Pokemon Quest and be thought of as a hybrid of sorts, but it shouldn't follow Toriyama's art too much. Sugimori's original style would be ideal and something tells me that he would be very in favor of such a project.

Game Freak and the Pokemon franchise as a whole can still focus on kids, and their dedication to always having an introductory game is, to an extent, admirable. And I don't see them budging anytime soon.

I just don't think this should be at the expense of older fans who they've worked hard to maintain. I'm confident another studio working in tandem with Game Freak would not only lighten the work load, but with proper spacing they could still do yearly releases.

That, and without sounding too "bAcK iN mY dAys", I think games geared higher up with their demographics probably won't deter children from wanting to play them. Plenty of T-rated games I would say are still appropriate for kids, it just depends on the brand. This is the case for the MCU, since the Marvel logo on its own does a lot of the work and the films are advertised towards families. Despite the movies all being PG-13 instead of G, there's still casual movie-goers who bring their kids and hardcore fans who love the characters and expanded universe.

I guess a more accurate comparison to Pokemon would be having WDAS/Pixar make a PG-13 movie. Even then, I don't think most casual movie-goes would even notice. I apparently was wrong in thinking both the Incredibles movies were PG-13 what with the actual person-on-person violence, but I guess the logos seep their way into age-ratings as well, at least until the MPAA are more transparent on their process.

Either way, I'm just curious on what other studios can do to not only expand on the world of Pokemon, but also what they can do with the models and animations.

I agree 100% I wasn’t saying change the demographics just consider your older fans to. No one can deny the older games are less “handholdy” the newer games are simplified and less difficult. This is even admitted as GF kids have less attention these days ie kids are dumb.

I like the fact the games are suitable for kids; Some may laugh but I make sure my kids don’t get exposed to inappropriate games or TV. My wee ones can play the original GB titles just fine but gaming as a whole is far more casual than it used to be. No way would they allow to sit at a Gym Leader for two days your practically given a super effect Pokémon now.

I remember most people picking Charmander and I loaned my friend Butterfree to get past Brock. Now the games either block you from entering or have a NPC with a super effect Pokémon to trade in town.

I remember most people picking Charmander and I loaned my friend Butterfree to get past Brock. Now the games either block you from entering or have a NPC with a super effect Pokémon to trade in town.

There's basically never been a Pokémon game that didn't offer a super-effective resolution to an upcoming Gym Leader. You yourself mention Butterfree; Mankey would be another example for Gen 1. Only difference is that now they point to it more clearly.

There's basically never been a Pokémon game that didn't offer a super-effective resolution to an upcoming Gym Leader. You yourself mention Butterfree; Mankey would be another example for Gen 1. Only difference is that now they point to it more clearly.

You had to train to get that Pokémon though or know the type weakness probably by previous experience. Now it is given no effort that’s not the same thing.

You had to train to get that Pokémon though

Sure, but on the whole I don't think it takes that much more effort to catch a Mankey in Yellow and raise it four levels to learn Low Kick then it does to go back and catch the Bunnelby that whoseit's wants for his Farfetch'd in X. It just cuts out some grinding.

That said, I do think the gifted Pokémon can go overboard sometimes. XY's Lucario and ORAS's Lati@s are pretty extremely powerful for the points in the game at which they're given, and in the former case, it's even followed up with a free Lapras not ten minutes later. Personally I think it's just a matter of keeping these things in check relative to the progression, rather than not offering them at all.

No one can deny the older games are less “handholdy” the newer games are simplified and less difficult. This is even admitted as GF kids have less attention these days ie kids are dumb.
I think not all, but some, of that sentiment hints at a self-inflicted problem. If you only give kids something well within their "age level" (an externally assigned label, mind you), and nothing to actually let them push their limits a little....

...I'm not sure how to finish this thought but it's definitely along the lines of creative/intellectual junk food: comfortable, even addicting, but ultimately vapid.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom