• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Non-Playable Characters Thread

Nicolas721

Reaction score
Didn't found anything similar so I guess I can post it. In this thread you can discuss the professor, mother, etc. and other characters that don't seem to be rivals, past characters or Pokemon league staff that get introduced in Sun/Moon.

The mother is OK, I like how she has a very hawaiian style despite not being apparently native to the island (unless you lived with your father before and now you are moving with your Alolan mother, which would be a welcomed change). I hope she has some occupation or some partner Pokemon like Grace.

I've never been fond of characters with a mustache so Hala is rather boring for me. He could be redeemed if Kukui is revelated to be his son, I like that type of relationships and didn't enjoy the Junipers because I skipped BW. I would like it if Kukui is just his geeky assistant that knows a lot about technology while Hala is the grumpy man that prefers traditional methods, through.

The mother is OK, I like how she has a very hawaiian style despite not being apparently native to the island (unless you lived with your father before and now you are moving with your Alolan mother, which would be a welcomed change).
Or the mother moved away before her child was born and came back years later. She could still be a native-born from Alola while her child was born in one of the other regions (presumably one of the Japan-based ones if we go by the trailer). Japanese people are also the second largest ethnic group in Hawaii so the mother can also be Alolan and have Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh roots.

I'm an IT major and I love Kukui so much, since he's like a very hot IT expert who's so hands on with everything. He's the first Professor (or aide) to enter your house, I guess?

And flaunting those abs within a lab coat. We're getting a lot of half naked characters lately.

Last edited:
Anyone think we might have a secondary character like Wally or N, an NPC that harps on the player's emotions?
I really, really, really hope this is the case. Wally and N are both some of my favourite characters in the entire franchise, and it was disappointing to me that X/Y didn't really have any characters as interesting and well written (in my opinion, at least).

This might just be wishful thinking, but I have my fingers crossed that S/M will be another B/W situation, where gamefreak basically did all/most of their engine work + creating models for older pokemon last gen, meaning this time around they'll be able to put more effort/time into a better story, more well written characters, etc.

I really, really, really hope this is the case. Wally and N are both some of my favourite characters in the entire franchise, and it was disappointing to me that X/Y didn't really have any characters as interesting and well written (in my opinion, at least).

This might just be wishful thinking, but I have my fingers crossed that S/M will be another B/W situation, where gamefreak basically did all/most of their engine work + creating models for older pokemon last gen, meaning this time around they'll be able to put more effort/time into a better story, more well written characters, etc.

I noticed that too. GameFreak's storytelling did not catch my attention until RSE, which is my favorite second to BW. DPPt could have been better if the details were not unnecessarily vague.

This is a theory, but I thought I would post it here because it relates to Kukui, and the mother character.

While watching a Trailer and Screenshot discussion made by TheKingNappy on youtube, I noticed him and his friends bring up an interesting theory, that could or could not work. When Kukui addresses you in the English trailer he says "Welcome to paradise, cousin." Now he could just be using cousin as a colloquialism, but there is a possibility that Kukui is actually your cousin. So this brings up the theory that these youtubers made. What if you are visiting the Alola region?

It does actually make a little sense. In the Japanese trailer, there is a screenshot of you in the house with the supposed mom character, a meowth, and Kukui. Also in the beggining of the trailer, it shows a scene of Kukui on some sort of web chat, waving at the trainer. There's the chance that he's telling the trainer to come meet him by the lab, but it could also be he's web chatting with the trainer as the trainer is still traveling to the region. Also, in this scene if you look closely, Kukui has a band on his left hand, typically where one would where a wedding band. So, what if the mother character isn't actually your mother at all? Rather she is married to Kukui, your cousin, and you are staying with them as you visit Alola, and Kukui decides to ask you to go on a Pokemon journey.

Now who knows, this is just a theory that someone brought up. But I have to say I really like it. It gives a twist on the whole you live with your mom and now your starting a big pokemon journey. I don't think I see this as Game Freaks actual intentions, but like I said, it's a just a cool theory I wanted to explore.

He's the first Professor (or aide) to enter your house, I guess?

Technically, Juniper entered your house at the beginning of BW (to drop off the Starter Pokémon), although it was a cutscene and you only saw her go in and out of the door; you never actually saw her in the house.

I love how Kukui already has a huge fanbase, lol. Sorry, Kukui, I'm a Sycamore fangirl forever. I'll take sexy stubble and big blue eyes over abs :p

As for TheKingNappy's theory - I dunno, I kind of like exploring the region as if it's your home, y'know? It would feel weirdly...transitory...if you're just visiting. But hey, it's a possibility I guess. I'd definitely be happy for them to shake up the family themes of the games a bit. I feel like we've had the 'you're leaving home...which just consists of your mother' for way too long now. If GF are happy to change the jerk rival to a group of rival friends over the years, why not change the single mother to a single father, or even a whole family? Maybe your siblings could offer advice or items along your journey. Or maybe your big brother/sister is already on a journey and turns out to be the secret champion.

A lot of people have already been speculating how the player character's mother appear to be Shauna, which I'm starting to believe to be true. Same teeth, same movements, same hair color and skin tone. Plus hints from X and Y with Shauna stating she'll go to a faraway region after she trades you the starter Pokemon.

Not only that, but her husband appear to be Calem, since the PC, girl or boy, looks very similar to him, along with the hints from X and Y with their shared moments at the Parfum Palace and their relationship as rivals.

If that happens, this will be a huge leap from the timeline in Pokemon history.

Some discussion here:

Hala & Kukui seem like an interesting duo, though I hope they reveal which one is the professor soon. I like the design of the mother character too.

Hala seems cool. It's nice to have an older professor again. For Kukui I hope that he turns out to be more than just the Professor's assistant. Maybe even be a gym leader mid game or even an Elite Four member. Hoku, the presumptive rival, gives off a similar vibe to Barry.

I'd like to see either a recently-immigrated Japanese family or a Japanese-American family represented because, last time I checked, the story seems to be about a Japanese family who has to move every two or three years for some reason. Plus, it'd save GameFreak the time of figuring out names in every language while educating non-Japanese people about the Japanese language, albeit minimally.

A lot of people have already been speculating how the player character's mother appear to be Shauna, which I'm starting to believe to be true. Same teeth, same movements, same hair color and skin tone. Plus hints from X and Y with Shauna stating she'll go to a faraway region after she trades you the starter Pokemon.

Not only that, but her husband appear to be Calem, since the PC, girl or boy, looks very similar to him, along with the hints from X and Y with their shared moments at the Parfum Palace and their relationship as rivals.

If that happens, this will be a huge leap from the timeline in Pokemon history.

Some discussion here:

Oh, If they have Calem as the final boss... you just blew my mind. Probably not gonna happen, but, this is amazing.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom