• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: (NON-POKEMON, NejiTen one-shot) Setting the Caged Bird Free

Treemo

Ca-va? Ca-va.
Reaction score
This is my first fic on Bulbagarden. It is a NejiTen (Neji and Ten Ten from Naruto) oneshot. So comment and enjoy.

Neji walked silently through th ink-black winter night, silent as a shadow. Snowflakes fell softly, each individual, yet eventually forced to fall to the cold ground below... The nearby stream, nearly frozen, reflecting the beauty of the full moon that managed to escape through the clouds that covered the usually glittering skies... A truly poetic scene.

He shivered, the cold was finally getting to him, but regardless he wouldn’t turn back, this was the only time, the middle of the night, that he was truly free. Neji stopped halfway across a stone bridge that went over the stream. Leaning against the rail, he absent-mindedly stared at the face that peered back at him from the water’s glassy surface... and the mark upon his bare forehead that sealed his fate...

The memories started rushing back then. Painful, horrible memories. He shut his eyes tightly, trying to block out the past that haunted him every day and night... to no avail. Those memories came, the memories of the mark that made him the main branch’s slave... how his father, Hizashi, had been sacrificed for the sake of the main branch. Hizashi did it of his own will, but the feelings of anger and sorrow would never leave, even knowing that.

Crying, Neji clenched his fist. He then lost his temper, and finally snapped. Turning his face to the blackened sky, he sobbed with feelings of pure hate for the main branch.

“Dang it!” he screamed, “Why did you do this to me?! Why do you torture me like this?! Father, if you really care then why- why?...” he collapsed, exhausted from yelling, still sobbing, unaware of the girl behind him.

“Neji?...” she sounded worried.

It was if something had awakened him from a dream. He looked up at her with glazed eyes. Neji, even in his distressed state recognized her.

“TenTen?...” he acknowledged, but still dazed.

“Neji...” TenTen came over to help him up.

He looked at his dear friend, “You heard?”

She nodded, “Every word.”

They both leaned on the rail, looking at their reflections in the water. Neji thought she was beautiful. Her brown hair was down, which was unusual, and softly rested upon her delicate shoulders, which were clothed in a loose pink shirt. Her dark eyes reflected the beauty of this winter night.

He then looked at his own reflection... and hated what he saw. His long hair was messed up as a result of him going crazy just a few moments before. His pale skin seemed paler than usual, and his snow-white eyes were as empty as his soul. The mark on his forehead marking him for what he is, a slave to the main branch.

“Neji, you don’t have to suffer...” TenTen then said, “And don’t even say that you’re not. You know that you are terrible at lying.”

“TenTen...” He was surprised at her honesty, “I can’t... You wouldn’t understand...”

She looked at him, “Then explain to me.”

After much hesitation, he finally agreed, “Well, this mark on my forehead makes basically makes me the main branch of the Hyuuga clan’s slave. At one point, my uncle Hiashi, who is the head of the main branch, was to be executed because he killed one of the Lightning Country’s head ninja, who tried to assassinate Hinata. But instead of Hiashi, my father, Hiashi’s twin brother, took his place and was killed. He did it of his own free will, but the feelings of hate and anger will never fade.”

Then, suddenly, through pure compulsion and emotion, they kissed. TenTen ran her fingers through his long hair, then wrapped her arms around his neck. Neji, shyly held her face in his hands. He slid his hands down and carefully wrapped his arms around her waist. They kissed passionately for a few minutes, then finally stopped and gazed into each other’s eyes.

“I love you, Neji” TenTen smiled.

Neji blushed, and smiled, “TenTen... I love you too.”

Then, the sun started rising over Konoha, slowly bathing everything in its golden light. Neji and TenTen turned their faces towards the dawn.

“I think your father would have wanted this” TenTen sighed.

“...I think your right.” Neji agreed.

And in his heart, Neji felt...

...That TenTen had succeeded in setting the caged bird free.

Last edited:
OH NO! There's only TWO replies! Shame on all of you people!

Well, I did make a banner for this fic; so I might as well pop in and read it, ne? And what kind of freind would I be if I didn't?

I honestly have never even watched Naruto; neither even have the urge to feel like watching Naruto - but this fic is truley beautiful. You've generated a sudden impulse in me to like the anime now...and for something that I have called 'over-rated' for the past couple of years....that's a lot coming out of my fingers. Sorry this review is short; I'm trying to keep my self from ranting along saying how good it is without making a post that's about half a page long ^____^;;;

I can't see why not much more people are reviewing this; seriously...I would say this is one of the best One-Shots I've seen around this place. *tries to tap sense into the cyberworld* Ugh..not working...- yet.

I hope you keep writing more of these sensational master pieces and stick to what you would call: "A truly poetic scene [story]..."

a_f

Last edited:
Aww, thankies a_f! Truth is, I love writing! Comics or fanfiction. I actually have started around..........20 or so fanfics? Most I never finished because I started to rethink the plot.

Same here. Two of my three fanfics have already been banished to the hellish confinds of...MY DESK DRAWER!

Now that that's over, let's get back to my reveiw.

I really like this. I never really cared for Naruto, but this is great!

Same here. Two of my three fanfics have already been banished to the hellish confinds of...MY DESK DRAWER!

Lol. I believe teh randomness ish contagious (sp?).Your desk is tidyer (sp?) than my room right now, so it can't be all that bad. What's even worse is that the sad, sad sentence before this one is 100% true.

Wonderful.

Even though I am not fond of Naruto, I MIGHT join my friends in talking about Naruto.

This story has so many good things, but the one I noticed more is LOVE. Awww~

:)

Thaks, Cheese. I'm thinking of writing a ShikaTema fic next. My bro won't be too thrilled. He hates ShikaTema. These are things he's said about it:

The ShikaTema pairing makes me want to puke and have diarrea at the same time.

ShikaTema makes me want to punch babies.

ShikaTema is such an ugly couple, that it could peel the paint off an outhouse.

Yeah. I think he doesn't like it because he hates Shikamaru, and Temari is his favorite character. But then again, the only couple we agree on is NejiTen. He likes KibaTema (Kiba+Temari), ShikaChou (Yaoi couple- Shikamaru+Chouji), SasuSaku (Sasuke+Sakura), and NaruHina (Naruto+Hinata). He'll prolly kill me if I put ShikaTema up here.

LOL, your brother expresses his hate in such a funny way. XD

But hey, beautiful fic, Nejitard. Such a plausible scenario for those two get together.

Why, thank you. *huggles all*

Oh, and you should see my bro's sig. His username is Oranos.

Great, and very well written. The ending was a little rushed, in my opinion, and I don't really like the ship, but it's a great fic nonetheless.

Thanks! And I did kinda rush at the end because me and Glacia had a social studies project due the next day. Damn that Lego Pyramid....

AT LEAST we both agree on NejiTen. Every other couple we disagree on.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom