• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MATURE: Nori Carino: Official In-Training [COMPLETE!!]

Month 7: July of Death (second part)
Month 7: July of Death (second part)
July 1st, 2015

"Get set..."

Nori took a deep breath. He affirmed his decision, and it was a difficult one to make. He gave Kallisto one final glance before the race began. Almost all of his problems the past four months could be traced back to him in some way. He had to do this. He had to make a statement. He had to prove there was at least one thing he was better at than Kallisto, no matter the risk involved. That was all there was to it.

Eddie waved his arms. "Go!"

At once, both skaters kicked off, pushing themselves forward towards the slope with all their might. The race was on in earnest.

The boy shifted his weight right as he got to the incline. In one motion he flipped his skateboard up, caught it, turned around, and marched away. This didn't matter to him. They'd hate him for this, but he didn't care what they thought. Not like Kallisto's opinion of him could get any lower, and the others would just have to live with it. This was something Kallisto wanted to do solely for the sake of his own ego. Nori didn't have to indulge him – he was better than that.

His action was so audacious that it didn't register with the other Gym Trainers for at least five seconds. By that point Nori was already off the solar panels and passing by the observatory.

Eddie was the first to react, quickly catching up with him. "What the fuck, kid?!"

"I'm leaving," he replied without stopping or even looking back. "He can do this on his own if he wants."

The dark-skinned teen repeated his words in a dumbstruck manner. Tono and Ollie called him out.

"You pick now of all times to back out?"

"Chicken! Coward! Pussy! Wimp!"

Yet Nori was unbothered by their insults as he started down the hill with purpose. The way he saw it, if Kallisto wanted to race down that death ramp, he could do it by himself.

---​

The thing that Kallisto liked most about skateboarding was the thrill.

The feeling of the wind against his body, the swift speeds he could build up, the rush of a quick turn, and knowing he was in total control of where he wanted to go. There was nothing quite like it. If he didn't make it as a Pokemon trainer for any reason, being a professional skateboarder would be in his top three other options.

Still, he couldn't believe Nori was actually going through with this. Kallisto was confident in his own ability to pull this off. He'd been skateboarding ever since he moved to Sunyshore. He'd won a number of amateur competitions and placed high in some professional ones. He'd even participated in a luge tournament a couple years back, placing second. Nothing beat experience. Maybe that's why he had challenged the young official in-training. He couldn't stand losing to someone so inexperienced, no matter how much of a lucky prodigy Nori seemed to be.

Kallisto flicked his gaze to his right. No sign of Nori. He didn't hear a scream, so he hadn't fallen off. He must have been going slower and more cautiously. A wise decision on his behalf, given the risk. As Tono had pointed out, none of them had any bird Pokemon that could catch them if they fell. The best they had was Gracie's psychic powers and Eddie's Magnezone. They were both on standby below just to be on the safe side, but they were unideal. They instructed both Pokemon to get ready to catch Nori, just in case.

As he was halfway down, Kallisto had a strange feeling come over him. He always wondered if he had a form of ESP, but another of his senses was also registering something was amiss. Not only did he not see Nori, he also did not hear him. He chanced glancing over his shoulder and nearly twisted all the way around in shock.

Nori was nowhere in sight. But he had kicked off! Where was he?! Did he actually fall? Where were the guys?

His focus was diverted, and he was brought back when he felt his board start to shift left. Kallisto cursed himself for forgetting the basic rule: look where you want to go. Eyes forward, he instinctively leaned in the other direction to correct his course.

To his horror, the board shifted too far to the right.

---​

Nori had realized something when he was standing there high over Sunyshore. It had all finally sank in.

Maybe he did have to change. Maybe he actually needed to become a better person. No, he did have to shape up, no maybes. But it wasn't in the way or to the extent Kallisto had been insisting. Everyone else who cared had been right. Everyone from Lux in February to Prema days ago had seen it. His feud with Kallisto certainly would've happened anyway given the head Gym Trainer's own flaws, but it wouldn't have gotten to this point if he'd handled things better from his side.

But you're taking things way too far, and lashing out way too much. You need to learn to let things go.

Ironic, thought Nori. Even Kallisto had seen that, but he wasn't right about everything. This wasn't about having to fall in line and behave ‘properly.’ If he was like that, he wouldn't even be at Sunyshore. It also wasn't about not being forgiving. He had no reason to! Volkner put in the effort, yet Kallisto simply expected time to mend things. This was about pushing or doing things when he didn't need to.

On the other hand, no matter what he'd done to aggravate the situation, Kallisto also had a lot of culpability by not stopping his campaign. And he wasn't willing to budge or compromise. So screw him. He'd never forgive him, and even if he somehow did, he'd never forget it. And if his friends were going to blindly support him, well, screw them too. He wasn't going to let people he didn't care about control him.

He didn't have to care what Kallisto thought about him. He didn't have to prove anything to Kallisto. He didn't have to be like Kallisto. He was Nori Carino, an official in-training. The head Gym Trainer would be basking in his own insecure glory. And maybe someday Kallisto would be at the top of the Pokemon battling world despite all he'd done. But Nori didn't care. He would be helping and saving troubled Pokemon. He wouldn't be training them to be the best. He didn't have to do anything Kallisto wanted. He didn't even have to do anything about Kallisto, besides what he needed to.

That's why he didn't have to race Kallisto. He should've said no right away at the Gym without being goaded into this, but better late than never. What was he going to do about backing out at the last second, ruin him? What could he do that he hadn't already done? Nori wasn't concerned. At the very least, he wasn't afraid.

For the first time since the beginning of the year, Nori Carino felt free.

---​

Nori returned to the Gym at peace. He entered to pandemonium.

The power was still off, but that was a trite matter. The lobby was packed full. Some of the on-hand staff were gathered in the offices - a few running around like lunatics - but many were idling outside watching the scene before them. All four security guards had their hands full trying to deal with a dozen chattering visitors who had somehow gotten inside. A few descended upon the boy on sight, flinging so many questions at once he couldn't understand any of them.

"I just got back?" he loudly spoke over them. "What's going on?"

"What the FUCK happened, Nori?!"

Volkner came from the staff hallway like an enraged Primeape. Everyone gave him a wide berth as he marched right up to Nori and glared at him with intensity.

"What do you mean, what happened?" the boy asked.

"I got a call from the cops saying you were skateboarding up at the observatory!"

Nori sighed. He saw this coming, having prepared to handle it on the skate back. "Yes, the others and me were trespassing," he said, pointing out that the Gym Trainers were there too. "But they didn't tell me we would be. I know, I know. I should've said no in the first place or after hearing what we'd be doing."

"That's not what this is about!" the Gym Leader cut in.

With this, Nori became confused. "Then what is it about?" he asked, tilting his head.

"Kallisto fell off! He's in critical condition!"

It went deathly silent. For three seconds, you could've heard a Hoppip's footsteps. "Wha..." Nori quietly vocalized.

Volkner pushed by. "I'm headed to the hospital. Stay here, go upstairs, and don't talk to anyone until I get back!" He motioned at the crowd. "All of you, get the hell out of here! Gym's closed! Beat it!"

The security guards robotically lumbered to usher them away. Even some of the staff followed suit in exiting. Nori, like everyone, was left stunned.

Kallisto fell? Kallisto? Nori was unsure how to feel. He hated him, sure. But falling? It was a long fall. Was he okay? Was he going to die? He wanted to karma to catch up with Kallisto and punish him severely. Nothing else was going to, evidently. But this was too much. And...there were worse things to worry about. Things that he'd thought of, thankfully, like the police becoming involved. He needed to get ready to face them, just in case.

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Everything was a blur.

It had started with the shriek of Chasity which pierced the air, followed by her panicked sputtering over the walkie-talkie. They had run over at once, and it was what they didn't see that made the situation clear. There was a single second in which Tono felt little concern. But after that, Eddie's Magnezone came languidly hovering up. Its retinas were squeezed shut. Another second after the sight of it sank in is when all hell broke loose.

Chasity was trying to point them to somewhere. Ollie was looking over the cliff frantically. Eddie was rambling at his Pokemon. And Tono was still as a mountain. Everyone was speaking or shouting, but to his ears, they may as well have been speaking Greek.

After what felt like hours, Tono was able to do something. Words from his mouth. "Someone call 119 already!"

One of his friends, he wasn't sure if it was Eddie or Ollie, had screamed to him, "You got the only cell phone!"

He had forgotten that. Tono reached into his shirt pocket; his fingers failed him as he gripped his AN-Droid and it clattered to the ground. He stared at it a moment too long, time in which Ollie pounced to pick it up. His friend scrambled to his feet - spouting into the walkie-talkie all the while - and passed the phone. Tono nearly fumbled it again as Ollie let go. He turned the phone on, coming face-to-face with his lock screen. The password had absconded from his memory.

Mercifully, he remembered after a second that you could access the call screen for an emergency number anyway. He swiped and shakily dialed 129. No, that was wrong. 418. It was three simple numbers! 52#.

"Fuck it!" Eddie snatched the device from his hands and was able to dial properly. "We fuckin' need an ambulance up here!" After a pause, he clarified, "The cliffs by Sunyshore Observatory. Our friend fell off!"

Tono knew it. How could this happen? He knew his friend was making a mistake. If only he had been able to talk him out of this. If only Nori Carino had not tricked his friend. Why, why, why had this happened?

His tears were drowning him. As he tried to breathe in, his vision clouded from the dryness welling in his throat. His legs gave way, and everything went dark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

"Hey."

"Hello." Nori waved to Volkner.

That night, Volkner came to find him. It had likely taken him a bit, given Nori was working in a room he rarely came into. For good reason as well - it was a small office with two computers. They mostly went unused, due to Tono having his laptop and the others only using them when they needed to.

Volkner stared at him in disbelief. "Since when do you use a computer?" he asked after about ten seconds.

"I've been learning." At least school had been good for something in that regard. He was still stumbling over trying to find things on his own, that said.

"What are you doing?" the Gym Leader asked.

"Emailing someone." Shouldn't he have been able to see that? Without looking back from the screen, he asked, "What happened after I left, anyway? With the others?"

"From what I've been told, Kallisto lost control of his board and fell off. They had Gracie and Eddie's Magnezone ready in case of an accident, but they weren't able to catch him in time." Volkner huffed. "He's suffered numerous injuries, but he's in stable condition."

All of that didn't surprise Nori. Even Mankeys can fall from trees. And if anyone could survive a ten or so meter drop onto solid earth, it would be Kallisto. As for how it came to pass, Pokemon had emotions too. Now that he was thinking about it more clearly, they certainly were ready to help. Eddie and Tono wouldn't tell their Pokemon to let him - or Kallisto - die. But seeing Kallisto fall off might've been so surprising that they couldn't react before it was too late.

"Maybe something's looking out for him," Volkner remarked.

"Or maybe they're punishing him, but leaving him alive," he put forth an alternative suggestion.

The man shrugged. "Could be."

It was actually something of a relief that Kallisto would likely survive. Dying would have been far too much for his tastes. This was perfect, actually. As long as he somehow didn't make a quick miraculous recovery with no long-term effects.

"What about the others?"

"Haven't talked. Police questioned them, keeping the witnesses separate." replied Volkner. "They'll be questioning us tomorrow."

"Okay."

He expected exactly that. Right now, he was getting ready for when that happened. He had to prepare for the police in particular, and he was doing just that. Nori knew even before this had all happened that he needed to take every precaution possible. Whether it would be enough, it remained to be seen. But he had to try.

"Should've listened to you, sorry..."

"It's fine, you couldn't have known." It sounded like Volkner was more cursing himself out than apologizing, but even Nori had no way of knowing what to expect. "We just need to do what we can now."

Suddenly, Volkner leaned against the wall. "It's over," he sighed.

"What is?" Nori briefly glanced behind himself.

"My Elite Four aspirations." With this, the Gym Leader slumped, crumpling to the floor. "No, forget that. My whole damn career. Knew I should've reined them in more. They kept pushing, kept going further. Kept doing nothing, since it's Kallisto. Now this happened. It'll be the biggest scandal since the Viridian Gym one. And I know them. They're going to blame you for this, and–"

"Volkner, just relax," he gently cut him off, looking back at him as he spoke. "Panicking isn't the thing to be doing now." Plus it was starting to get annoying.

"You're so damn calm," grumbled the Gym Leader.

"I'm focused," he corrected. Part of him was panicking too, but like he said, he couldn't afford to do that right now. "We don't know what's going to happen. All we can do is get ready for what might happen."

Volkner nodded, supporting against the wall and managing to his feet. "You're right," he said, shaking his head at himself. "I need a drink. Preferably something hard. You want one?"

That got him to swivel around in disbelief. "A hard drink? You mean alcohol?"

"Won't tell," said the Gym Leader. "Besides, might be your only chance if they lock you away."

"If it tastes as bad as that other stuff, I don't want it." The boy turned back to the monitor. "More importantly, I'm working. I shouldn't be impaired for this."

Volkner leaned in, this time actually looking at the screen. "Just what the hell are you working on?" he pondered aloud, unable to make anything of it.

Nori coyly smiled, placing his pinky on the side of his mouth. "I told you, you need to get ready for what might happen."

##########​

July 2nd, 2015

"Report," said the chief of Sunyshore's police. "What's come of the questioning?"

One of his officers stepped forth. "There were several witnesses testifying that they saw the group headed towards the observatory. A couple of the observatory's employees also reported seeing them pass by, but thought nothing of it." He paused. "Kallisto Kervanos has been in no condition to give a statement. The Gym Trainers have also been unhelpful, although one stated this was a challenge issued by Nori Carino.

"The Gym Leader's story about how this started lines up with what the others have said. Denzi did also claim they have been harassing Carino as of late. As for him, he confirmed walking away when the race began, but claimed that Kervanos coerced him into participating, and that Tono Takuma had hacked the Gym's electricity to allow them time to do so."

It took the chief no time to come to his conclusion. "This is clear cut to me. He's obviously lying about it. As for the so-called harassment, I doubt it's nothing more than him being unable to accept criticism from Mr. Kervanos." He pulled out a form from his desk and started filling it in. "Tomorrow, Nori Carino is to be arrested and charged. We have about five counts."

You work quite fast when it comes to uploading chapters. Wished I was this fast when it comes to uploading, but not to the point of rushing thingsmout, though.

"Tomorrow, Nori Carino is to be arrested and charged. We have about five counts."

Oh Snap! Nori is going to be arrested isn't he? :oops:

If he does, I hope he doesn't end up being blacklisted.

I wonder if Kallisto really did hurt himself...:unsure:

Anyways, the skateboarding scenes are quite interesting. Glad it wasn't Nori who got hurt, but I don't think Kallisto doesn't deserve to get hurt either to the point of being hospitalized.

Wanted to review this earlier, but my family and I had to run some errands. Somehow, I knew things would turn out wrong in some capacity, given how these things usually go in other stories, yet parts of it also felt fresh. I love that Nori, though much later than I would have hoped, actually decided to walk away from the situation, and it was Kallisto's one single moment of inattentiveness that led to him getting injured. Should have known better than to skate down solar panels, huh Mr. I-Think-I'm-Perfect-At-Everything? But I really have to wonder: Why does Tono think Nori tricked Kallisto? If anything, it was the opposite! They were the ones who didn't tell Nori that they were skating down solar panels on top of a roof in the first place! I do feel bad for Volkner though. The anime and games never go into detail about stuff like this, but it would be interesting to see how Kallisto getting injured would affect his reputation, along with all the other stuff he let slide. If this had happened, say, back when he got needlessly angry at Nori for losing to Sophie, I would have cheered upon seeing Volkner get some much needed karma. Buuuuut now that it's happening after he's been making an effort to mend his ways, I find myself feeling sorry for him instead. Curious to see where this goes.

You work quite fast when it comes to uploading chapters. Wished I was this fast when it comes to uploading, but not to the point of rushing thingsmout, though.
Well the fic is finished being written! I just need to edit. And this one was shorter than usual, so...

Oh Snap! Nori is going to be arrested isn't he? :oops:

If he does, I hope he doesn't end up being blacklisted.
Being blacklisted would be the least of his worries if Volkner's words about them blaming him hold true.

I wonder if Kallisto really did hurt himself...:unsure:
Oh make no mistake about it: he is badly hurt. How bad? Keep reading on to find out! Also speaking of reading on, keep your eyes peeled for a certain reference next chapter

Anyways, the skateboarding scenes are quite interesting. Glad it wasn't Nori who got hurt, but I don't think Kallisto doesn't deserve to get hurt either to the point of being hospitalized.
The skateboarding scenes were fun to write. They were action scenes, but much different than your typical physical contact ones. Whether or not Kallisto's injury is too much or not is subjective, of course.

Somehow, I knew things would turn out wrong in some capacity, given how these things usually go in other stories, yet parts of it also felt fresh
This sort of situation was simply begging to go wrong.

I love that Nori, though much later than I would have hoped, actually decided to walk away from the situation, and it was Kallisto's one single moment of inattentiveness that led to him getting injured. Should have known better than to skate down solar panels, huh Mr. I-Think-I'm-Perfect-At-Everything?
So this. This was another focal moment in the fic in since its first incarnation. However, I changed it from Nori being helped by Prema's advice to a lot of reflection in-general to help him overcome a character flaw. And yeah, you got it on the head - Kallisto's horrific injury is his own fault. Everyone has accidents, even Gary Stus, it just so happened this was one he couldn't get out of. Meanwhile, I was building up to make it look like Nori was going to race anyway, even in the first paragraph, but then defy that.

But I really have to wonder: Why does Tono think Nori tricked Kallisto? If anything, it was the opposite! They were the ones who didn't tell Nori that they were skating down solar panels on top of a roof in the first place!
Hey, cut the guy some slack! :p He thought his best friend had died. His thought process wasn't exactly working properly. He was figuring that Nori purposely did this and indirectly caused the accident. It's arguable that he did cause it, but it was a genuine last second decision made when Eddie was counting them down.

I do feel bad for Volkner though. The anime and games never go into detail about stuff like this, but it would be interesting to see how Kallisto getting injured would affect his reputation, along with all the other stuff he let slide.
Yeah, the games can be especially egregious about this sort of thing. Cyrus in BDSP being probably the biggest offender: nearly unmakes the world, gets off scot-free and chills at the Battle Tower sometimes while still plotting. Though as a random aside, more fics need to do retired Rocket wandering trainer Giovanni as he is in the games - invited to the PWT and all.

If this had happened, say, back when he got needlessly angry at Nori for losing to Sophie, I would have cheered upon seeing Volkner get some much needed karma. Buuuuut now that it's happening after he's been making an effort to mend his ways, I find myself feeling sorry for him instead.
Sadly, karma is catching up with him anyway. There will certainly be consequences for him, too.

Well, that chapter was short and sweet.

...wait, not sweet. I'm thinking of the opposite of sweet. I know Nori had soem sort of plan but whether or not it'll block this arrest is in the air.

Also one of the Gym trainers lying about Nori issuing the challenge? Hmmm...I doubt it's Eddie. Ollie seems most likely, but it could be Tono based off his thought about Nori "tricking" Kallisto, which I suppose to some extent he did by pretending to go along then ducking out.

I'm assuming the reference to the Viridian Gym scandal is about Giovanni being revealed to lead Team Rocket, something I don't think the games ever really dwelt on despite how huge it would be.

Everyone has accidents, even Gary Stus, it just so happened this was one he couldn't get out of.
Of course if he was a true Gary Stu rather than a sort of deconstruction he'd either shrug the injuries off OR inspirationally overcome them to make them even more cool.;)

Yeah, the games can be especially egregious about this sort of thing. Cyrus in BDSP being probably the biggest offender: nearly unmakes the world, gets off scot-free and chills at the Battle Tower sometimes while still plotting.
At least Lysandre had the good grace to probably just die, at least in Y.

Well, that chapter was short and sweet.

...wait, not sweet. I'm thinking of the opposite of sweet. I know Nori had soem sort of plan but whether or not it'll block this arrest is in the air.
Bitter and sweet, but not bittersweet.

Also one of the Gym trainers lying about Nori issuing the challenge? Hmmm...I doubt it's Eddie. Ollie seems most likely, but it could be Tono based off his thought about Nori "tricking" Kallisto, which I suppose to some extent he did by pretending to go along then ducking out.
You will have to keep reading on to find out!

I'm assuming the reference to the Viridian Gym scandal is about Giovanni being revealed to lead Team Rocket, something I don't think the games ever really dwelt on despite how huge it would be.
Yeah, it's that one. Although it was helped in the games by Giovanni simply retiring and becoming a wandering trainer disbanding Team Rocket there. It definitely could've been way bigger than it was if he'd kept going.

Of course if he was a true Gary Stu rather than a sort of deconstruction he'd either shrug the injuries off OR inspirationally overcome them to make them even more cool.;)
I'll get back to this one...

Month 7: July of Death (third part)
Month 7: July of Death (third part)
July 3rd, 2015

Nori was idling in his room with Pachi on Friday when he was accosted by a knock at the door. He rolled onto his feet, taking a deep breath before he unlocked and opened it. Though he tried to maintain calm, his heart dropped a little on seeing who it was.

"Nori..." Volkner quietly rasped, turning away. Two police officers were in behind him: both mustached men who shared a resemblance to one another. One was stout and fat, and the other was tall and slim.

"What's going on?" he asked, dreading the response.

The fat cop cleared his throat. "Nori Carino, you're under arrest for trespassing, criminal mischief, vandalism, issuing threats, and negligence causing severe injury. With more charges to be determined."

"Hold on!" the boy took a couple steps back and shouted. "It's Kallisto who coerced me!"

"Lucky you're protected from testifying against yourself," the tall cop sternly dismissed. "But if you don't want to be charged with resisting arrest, I suggest you cooperate and come quietly."

"Screw that!" he yelled. Pachi jumped off the bed and stood in front of him, boldly yet ineffectually holding his stubby arms out. "Kallisto did it! Him and his friends! It's them you should be arresting!"

"Nori." Volkner painfully huffed, seemingly fighting off tears. The man forced himself to look at him. "We've been over this. Unless you have proof that Kallisto was responsible, your claim isn't going to hold. I'm sorry."

Nori shut his eyes. When he opened them, there was a twinkle within. This was perfect. He was just acting there for a little bit. He'd been eagerly waiting for this.

"Well, I have proof."

"You what?" the fat cop asked. The boy moved towards his desk and opened it. The cops shoved forward past Volkner and were trying to get around Pachi when he got what he was looking for. He twirled around and brandished a small black rectangular object. The mere sight of it caused them to stop dead in their tracks.

"That's the Schrader's crest!" the slim one gasped, him and his partner's eyes bugging out of their head at the sight of the tape recorder.

"That's right, I borrowed it from a friend of mine." He'd already thanked Arumi like twenty times, and that wasn't enough. "Listen in!"

He already set it to the right place. He pressed the play button and watched everyone's expressions. Pachi - in on the act and with instructions to obstruct the cops' path until he could retrieve the recorder - was grinning the whole time. Volkner's went from blank, to intrigued, to smirking wickedly. The cops meanwhile, became more horrified as a couple of the conversations after their first set of races and more importantly, the ones from two days ago played out before them.

As the recording came to a close, Nori shut it off and pocketed the device. "She has a backup," he delightedly informed them. It took him a while to figure out how to send it, but Arumi had talked him through it. "If you arrest me or try to bury this, she's going to release it. Along with your department's involvement in trying to cover it up."

He sat down on his bed with triumph, although continued to glance up at the men. Pachi jumped up into his lap. The boy felt like an evil genius as he stroked the squirrel's head, asking his mentor, "You got these cops' names, right, Volkner?"

The Gym Leader nodded. "In case they try to scapegoat these two?"

Nori flashed a thumbs up. "I know you're taking Kallisto's side to protect your golden boy." He leaned back and dramatically pointed. "Well, his luster's about to fall off, whether you like it or not!"

Volkner snickered. "Not a bad line," he complimented.

"I was thinking of that one."

The two cops slumped in sync with each other, appearing as if they were about to drop dead. They staggered into a huddle. It took them only ten seconds to come to a decision.

"All right, I'll call the chief," said the fat one.

The tall one nodded. "We're going to have to ask you to come with us, Mr. Carino."

Nori moved Pachi off and threw up his arms as he stood. He was only pretending to be arrogant, but internally felt he was probably exaggerating that shrug more than he should've. "Hey, if you wanna arrest me, go ahead and see what happens."

"No, you're not being arrested," the cop quickly clarified. "We just need you to make a statement down at the station."

"Can I ride in the front, then?" They were taken aback by his question and sudden shift to a jubilant mood. "I've always wanted to, just like the detectives in the radio dramas I listen to!"

He looked up at them with childish wonder. Sure, part of it had to do was not being seen getting into the back of a police car. But that was also a really big reason!

The fat cop chuckled. "Can't say no to those eyes."

With a cheer, Nori grabbed the nautical hat the sea dog had gifted him. It wasn't a police cap, but it was the next best thing! He motioned for Pachi, flinching slightly when he made a leap from the bed onto his shoulder. The boy chuckled. This was going to be great!

##########​

July 4th, 2015

Giving the statement went about as well as he expected. But as the day passed without word and the next one dragged on, Nori found himself growing restless. His pacing eventually took him to the back of the Gym. Maybe talking to Volkner would help. The man was in his office.

"Volkner..."

"What?" he sharply asked, looking up from his laptop.

"Sorry, sorry, but I can't relax," the boy rambled. "Sure, they haven't arrested me. But they didn't believe me right away either! I tried to think of everything, but it didn't completely work! Are they really going to take that jackass' side?! What if I go to jail for something I didn't do! What if–"

The Gym Leader got up and put a hand on his shoulder, incidentally stopping him in place. "Look, calm down. Said so yourself, can't panic right now."

Nori sighed. That was a reversal from a few days ago. Kind of ironic.

"We don't know what's happening," the Gym Leader continued. "So get ready for what could happen."

"But I could go to jail!"

"Then you should get ready for that," the Gym Leader stated. It was clearly a joke, maybe, but he didn't do a very good job of telling it if so. "I'm getting ready to make sure that doesn't happen, just in case. I'm trying to remember anything Kallisto did in the past that might help."

Hearing that from his mentor was enough to calm Nori down. Of course Volkner would be fighting for him. He simply hoped they would listen.

"With Arumi's threat, I think you got nothing to worry about. But if they try anything, I'll make sure you get out."

That's right. She'd been busy, but Arumi was fighting too. It was a better comfort remembering that. Still, the wait was driving him crazy. He just wanted this to be done and over with. And if the worst happened...if they still didn't believe him, then he could...

##########​

July 5th, 2015

Arumi Schrader sat at her desktop pecking away feverishly at her latest article, having been at it since she woke up at 6am. She never imagined she would be writing about this. It was definitely going to be her summer project, and then some. There were just edits to be made now. Forget about putting words on pages, that was the most difficult part. She reminisced on how this all came about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

June 26th, 2015

It was the final day of school before summer break. It was no surprise to her that the other members of the reporting club had chosen to punch out after Wednesday. Despite their dedication, Beau, Lorant, and Gino were set on making a school newsletter, presently with no aspirations beyond that. The same could not be said about Yuki, but his motivation had been in utter shambles after Nori was declared a pariah. He had been regretting blowing up at the future official, but had no idea how to make amends. Even Kallisto's apology hadn't changed much; there had been rumors Nori somehow forced him to make it. Arumi gave that possibility 50/50 - she doubted it was possible to pressure Kallisto, but if anyone could and would, it was her good friend Nori Carino.

Naturally, she was busy. Namely, brainstorming ideas on what to do for a big summer project. Sure, she could've done that at home, but not only was it quieter at school, some of her material was on the school computers. And on her phone. And in her various notepads. And on her computer at home. Her info was kind of disorganized and everywhere.

It had been something of an annual ritual for her ever since fourth grade to research an event of major significance, write an article about it, and present it to her peers in September. It was good practice for when she became a fully fledged journalist. For example, her first project was a story about how an Irish family - the O'Moores - came to take over and convert Hoenn's Battle Tower into what they dubbed a maison. Last year's was about all the Pokemon Sanctuaries in the country - all of them, from Acer Junction near Verdanturf Town to the Zenith of Peace on Batalson Island.

Arumi had initially drawn up a list of nineteen possible subjects to write about this summer. Standouts above the rest included the ongoing saga of Amara Parisa down in Johto, the suspicious overdose of the Scrafty Bastards' lead guitarist, a biography on the new hit rap duo from Sunyshore: A-Jewl and Bakufinity, a piece on the Kannagi Shrine's history and transition to Veilstone City, an exposé on the ever-controversial Keisha A.X. - the ‘Silent Champ’ of Hoenn from 2011-2013, an article going over misconceptions and contradictory tales about Sinnoh's history particularly targeting the fictional ‘Hisui’, the concerns about the real estate bubble, examining the Daikoka family's economic contributions to Sinnoh, or writing about ever-growing environmental concerns with a focus on groups down in Hoenn.

She was not good at narrowing things down. Oh well, she had time to!

While hard at work in one of the studio rooms, Arumi was not so wrapped up in her work to be startled by the door opening. She caught sight of him as he was meekly creeping in and peering about. "Oh, hey Nor'!" she cheerfully greeted. "What's up?"

"Is it..." he nervously glanced around the room. "Is it just you here?"

"Yeppers!" she answered. "Everyone else's punched out, even Mr. Rekted!"

He exhaled sharply, lightly hanging his head low. "Good, need to talk..."

"Sure thing."

Things had eased off and no one else was around, so she didn't mind. Besides! If he came here looking for her despite being kicked out of the club, it had to be for an important reason! Maybe even a juicy one!

She spun the swivel chair around as Nori shakily walked over, pulled out the one to the left, and plopped down. "What's on your mind?" she asked, rubbing her hands together.

"It's Kallisto..."

"Oh, I heard he finally hooked up with Chasity! That surprised me."

"And me. She's shallow, but that's beside the point." He whapped himself on the forehead. "No, no, it's related."

"Related to Chasity, huh? Go on!" She instinctively reached for her notepad and pen, momentarily forgetting she'd taken off her jacket. Was Kallisto regretting the decision? Were a lot of people questioning it? Maybe both? Yeah, both sounded right.

"I said all that to him, that she was shallow and he was wasting his love, and he took it as an insult. He raced me with skateboards for her honor. And..." He trailed off.

"Aaaaaand?" She leaned in. "What'd he do after he beat you?"

"I beat him!" Nori shouted with the tiniest bit of anguish. His fists clenched up as he trembled. "Three times in a row!"

"Wow!" Arumi had to give him a bit of applause. Kallisto, losing? In skateboarding mind you, but that was almost as surprising as him losing in Pokemon! "Heh, so did you come here to brag? Maybe spill the beans?" She nudged him a little, the physical contact making him recoil away.

"No!" he snapped. "After I did and rubbed it in, he...he gave me the scariest look. Like...like this."

Nori squinted with one eye and stretched the other wide. He scrunched his nose and opened his mouth, showing teeth without grinning.

"That looks more silly than scary," she remarked, flipping her braid. "Actually, it's utterly crazy!"

"Ugh!" He slapped himself again. "Just trust me on this! He was mad like I've never seen. He kept his cool, but he said to remember what goes around comes around. Like, like, in a subtle threatening way. And that I don't get a say. And, and..."

"Relax, Nor'," she said with a smile and nod. "I believe you, but I think you're overreacting here."

Sure, Kallisto Keravnos was a lot of things beneath the surface. Harsh, sure. Indifferent? In some cases. Cruel? Towards Nori, she wouldn't doubt there was a bit of that. But nothing as bad as he was worried about.

"Arumi, please!" Nori begged, jumping to his feet with enough force to send his swivel chair back into the wall. "I don't like this! I just know Kallisto's going to do something really bad!" He paused, before adding, "He may even try to kill me somehow!"

The reporter in-training sighed at his excessive paranoia. "Can't you ask Volkner?" This was a little out of her scope.

"I did! He's not listening! He isn't taking it serious! And you're the only other one who'll give me the time of day anymore!" His tears and fears were being laid bare to her.

Arumi raised her palms, sliding her chair away in discomfort. "I'm sorry, I–"

"Please, you have to help me. He may even like, try to put me in jail somehow. Please, help, please. Please..." He fell to the floor. "I...I..." His words faded to incomprehensible sputtering.

Arumi tensed. It was not as if she did not believe Nori. Her family may have been one of the most powerful in Japan next to the Joys and Jennys, but top level Pokemon Trainers got more respect than even them. Worse, Kallisto was from a family of trainers. If she took action against him in any way and it backfired, not even the name Schrader would spare her reputation from a similar fate to Nori's. Worst case, her parents would disown her. She couldn't risk this!

And yet, the sight of Nori, dropped to quivering knees, holding himself up with one hand, covering his eyes with the other arm, and sobbing so hard he was starting to hyperventilate, was too much. He was one of the only people outside of her family who genuinely tolerated her. Arumi knew her bubbly, go-getter, in-your-face attitude was too much for many people, but he never minded. He could even match her stride in the best of moments. Nori was her friend. She had to do something!

"Sorry, sorry...I just, well." Nori was having trouble breathing, until he slapped himself harder than before. "Sorry, that was kind of pathetic. No, it was. You know...ugh, never mind, never mind." He shut his eyes and turned away in utter shame. "It was a long shot, a real long shot. Stupid, Nori. Stupid. I'll go, now. Sorry to bother you."

As Nori started out of the room, he looked like a prisoner heading for his execution. Arumi's throat was sore and her eyes were watering. She sniffed. It was so out of character for him to be a weeping mess. This wasn't the friend she knew - he wasn't ever this milquetoast - and he wouldn't dare try to fake it. Unable to stand it any longer and not wanting to feel any guilt, Arumi made her decision.

"Wait."

She caught up, grabbed him by the arm, and placed a device into his palm.

"It's my family recorder. Do what you have to, but guard it with your life."

Nori looked at it, eyes bugging out and jaw on the floor. Custom-built, these cost over a hundred thousand P. Arumi had been instructed to never give her personal tape recorder away to anyone. Yet it was the only one she regularly carried around.

Arumi went to her bag, retrieving some extra things from it. "A roll of body tape," she told him. "You can hide it under your shirt and secretly record. Make it look subtle, like you're just holding your ribs." The other thing was her notepad. She jotted something down and handed him a scrap. "Make an email on ElectronMail. Here's mine."

That was everything Nori needed to do what he needed. She knew he wouldn't lie about something such as this, and she should've realized he wouldn't exaggerate that much either. He had come to her with complete trust in his heart. And so she would completely trust Nori as well.

Nori was like a Deerling in headlights. His face said it all: he was not expecting her help. What Arumi was not expecting was him lunging and throwing his arms around her. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" He shook her to the rhythm of his words.

"You're welcome, just..." She briefly snickered at the role reversal from the day they had met. She was going to put an arm around him in comfort, but he'd let go by the time she thought of it. "Be cool, okay?" she instructed. "If he or the others are making threats, make sure you record them."

"Yes, yes! I will!" he said, bowing profusely. "Thank you so much again, Arumi! I won't let it go to waste!"

"I know you won't, Nor'. Go get that big story!" She clapped him on the shoulder to send him off.

"Thanks again!" With a small jump and cheer, Nori hurried off.

Arumi went back to her work with a contented sigh. Things were going to get interesting, she thought, and she was in a position to be at the center of the storm. Of course, she would've helped him regardless. She may not have been religious, but she was praying for Nori's success.

##########​

July 1st, 2015

The truth of the matter was, Arumi completely believed Nori's story. She had absolutely no reason to doubt what he had been saying to her about Kallisto. You would have to be a complete idiot to publicly accuse him of murder by inaction! And that's who Nori was. An idiot who sought the truth, just like her!

Knowing the truth and proving it were two entirely different things, of course, and Arumi had spent the last week or so trying to do the latter. She'd interviewed people, dug up little itty bitty testimonials, even looked into the full details behind how Ollie Gooch was more or less broken into submission as a result of Kallisto's actions, direct or otherwise. Yet none of it was conclusive. This rested on the shoulders of Nori, to find and record something to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Kallisto Keravnos was, as he said, a jackass.

She had a feeling he was very bad and obvious at trying to get them to say incriminating things.

Nori had brought up a number of different things he had recorded Kallisto saying. However, none of it meant anything. She actually had to stop him from getting worked up about the tone of the head Gym Trainer's voice at one point. She always had understood why people could get overwhelmed by her, but experiencing it for herself was a whole different kettle of Remoraid! It got to the point of where she was considering it might be a lost cause and going to get her recorder back.

That was, until July 1st.

Arumi woke up that day, bright and early as usual. Sleep late and wake up early was her mantra. She emailed Nori just after 10am. It was looking more likely that his fears had been unfounded after all. She needed to meet up with him and get her tape recorder back before her parents had found out she'd loaned it out to someone.

Not even an hour later is when it happened.

Growing up in the news industry, Arumi was well aware that people always remembered what they were doing when they first heard about major stories. For her, she was sitting at her desk reading a Jon Grishaw novel. When she wasn't engrossing herself in facets of the media, Arumi was reading - mysteries and legal thrillers being among her favorite genres. She was at a part where the lawyer and his wife were negotiating to buy a new home after their last one was burned down in the previous book. It was her dad who broke the news to her.

"Arumi, get your things," said Souji Schrader. She got her reporter blood from her dad! And her mom, but mostly him. "Story of the month's happening. May be a contender for story of the year."

"Or story of the decade!" her mom Rebecca added, raising a finger and speaking without a shred of irony.

Arumi placed the receipt she was using as a bookmark between the pages, closed the novel, and tossed it onto her desk. Yes! She'd been waiting for her mom and dad to finally invite her to cover a supermassive scoop! "Great, awesome!" she said as her dad ran off to continue preparing. She hurriedly gathered her notebook, notepad, spare tape recorder, digital camera, and anything else she could think of. She wanted to be absopositively sure she had everything she might need.

"So what happened?!" she shouted out her door. Hopefully she had time to use the bathroom, but if not, it was worth holding it in!

"There was an accident up at the Sunyshore Observatory!" her mom shouted. "Word is it involves Kallisto Keravnos!"

Arumi was moving to pick up her carrier bag, only to fumble it upon hearing those last two words. "What did you say?! Kallisto Keravnos?"

"Yes!" came her mom's reply. "Haven't you done some interviews with him?"

"He's always said no!"

Everything was happening so fast. When her dad said, "Hurry it up," she knew she had a split-second to make a decision. And as much as she'd been looking forward to something like this, she was painfully aware she couldn't come.

"Sorry!" she said. "I need to stay here!"

"Why?!" Souji tersely demanded.

"No comment!" She knew those two simple words would make them understand.

"That's our girl!" her dad praised.

"If you're saying that, it must be important," agreed her mom.

"It is! I'll tell you when you get back!"

"All right, see you later, sweetie. Good luck with whatever you're doing!"

Her parents left, and the first thing she did was log into her email. She couldn't shake the feeling Nori was somehow involved with this. And her reporter's instinct was usually correct! How remained a mystery, but knowing him, she expected one of the worst case scenarios.

No reply from him on her earlier message yet. She quickly set to composing another email.

Disregard that last email. Just heard the news from mom and dad. What happened? Please tell me you're okay and didn't cause this.

The next thing she did was start checking all the news sites. Nothing yet. Which made sense. Their family was usually the second to hear about these things, after friends of eyewitnesses. On that note, she logged into Tweeter, checked the KallistoKeravnos hashtag, and sorted by recent flaps. Nothing. She checked a couple variations, and spotted one recent thing, posted three minutes ago.

@xBigJimmy69x: just saw @RealKallistoK being taken away in an ambulence. shit i never thought id see. #Sunyshore #wtf #Kallisto​

It was easy to surmise Kallisto was the victim in this even beforehand, but that settled it. So what happened? And how? She refreshed her email. Still no reply from Nori, so she flapped at Big Jimmy for more info.

@TheAwesomeArumi: @xBigJimmy69x I heard! Where'd you see it? Any idea how he got hurt? #Kallisto #KallistoKeravnos​

It took one minute and fifteen seconds for a reply, another coming in seconds later, as well as a reply to the first message.

@xBigJimmy69x: no clue, came out of the barbar near old town and saw em loading him in​
@MadWolfSam: what????? #Kallisto​
@FritzNieves: @TheAwesomeArumi I saw it, he was being stretchered down the hill near the observatory. My sis Annika took a pic but it's blurry. #Kallisto​
@JojoDeSilva: Wow for real? Whats going on in the world these days? #Kallisto #KallistoKeravnos​

More clues, no clear picture - literally. If it wasn't for his hair, there'd be no way to tell that was Kallisto on the gurney. Maybe he fell during a hike? She refreshed the news sites, but all they had were headlines, some of which were blatant clickbait like ‘Popular trainer taken to hospital’ with no actual article. Figures. And Nori still hadn't replied.

"Dammit Nor', where are you?!" she mumbled. He had to have been involved. Was he being questioned? She checked Tweeter again, but there was nothing but reactions. So she decided to take a different approach. She brought up the account of Tono Takuma in a private window (he had long since blocked her, unprovoked at that!), and as it was loading, did a quick search on the Sunyshore Observatory. She tried putting in some of the names of the staff, and sure enough, got a hit.

@PearlyWhite1979: Just heard a big commotion outside.​
@PearlyWhite1979: Saw #TheDemonTamer passing by. Why was he here? Does he suddenly have an interest in astronomy?​
@PearlyWhite1979: Some of the other #SunyshoreGym crew were there too.​

As Arumi feared. This woman named Pearl had taken a photo of Nori. If he and the other Gym Trainers were there, then Kallisto had to have been too. Tono's was untagged, but far more telling.

@ShockingGenius: Speechless. Just saw my best friend of six years suffer an unspeakable injury. I can't parse my thoughts right now.​

The proverbial smoking gun. Arumi checked the photos that Pearl had taken again. It looked like Nori was walking away. He was involved in this, and she had a gut feeling he was at the very center of it.

---​

Arumi kept glued to the news while admittedly mildly panicking over Nori. The only good news was there was no news. It was to her relief when her friend finally did reply after twenty minutes or so.

I just got back to the Gym. The power got sabotaged, so I'm using Volkner's laptop. I'm sure he won't mind. I heard Kallisto fell off some solar panels he wanted me to race skateboards on, up at the observatory. I don't know how, I left as the race started. Volkner is freaking out and told me to stay at the Gym. But, I got real evidence of Kallisto this time. I recorded him and his friends comments and threats to me before it began. It's real this time, but I don't know how good it'll be now. Volkner said he's in critical condition, went to the hospital to see him. He might die. I hope not. Write back soon, just in case.

Thoughts flashed through Arumi's mind as a picture of the incident began to take shape within in her mind. It sounded like Kallisto had challenged Nori to a higher stakes race to avenge his previous loss. Nori backed out at the last second and had him go down alone, and that's when he fell off. Actual evidence, however? Perfect. Arumi swiftly typed a reply.

Okay, open the latch on the bottom right corner next to the crest. Take the memory card and plug it into the computer. Zip up the files, attach them to an email, and send them to me.

She sent it off and dove back into the news and Tweeter feeds. Stories were starting to be written about the incident, but they were chock full of speculation and facts she had already unearthed. Tono hadn't sent any new flaps yet. Kallisto was starting to trend, but his hashtag was full of well-wishes and reactions to the incident rather than any further information. She scrolled through many of them anyway as she waited for Nori to message her back.

@YellowHello02: Thoughts and prayers go out to #KallistoKeravnos​
@KellyTameo: heard some #KallistoKeravnos guy in #Sinnoh fell and got hurt. he looks hot! think i have a new favourite trainer if he recovers!​
@CanardTrompePHD: J'ai eu quelques mésaventures quand j'étais jeune. C'est la vie! #KallistoKeravnos​
@EvelynOMoore: Oh my gosh!!!!! #Kallisto #KallistoKeravnos​
@CreativeZackF93: the world sucks #KallistoKeravnos​
@CYNTHlAL0VER: Rumor is @SinnohCynthiaC 's cousin - #KallistoKeravnos - just had a skateboarding accident! Looking it up now.​
@BowGod359: Why do these stupid kids not skate safely? #Sunyshore #KallistoKeravnos​
@LukaVestraArt: I heard what happened to #KallistoKeravnos just now. Stunned. He was a major inspiration for me.​
@CuteCatboyUA: #TheDemonTamer probably did this to #KallistoKeravnos somehow​
@MasterBOrdrider: JUST GOT FIRED FROM MY JOB!! THE 7TH IN A YEAR!!! HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW #KallistoKeravnos WAS GOING TO SKATE DOWN THE PANELS?? AND WHY​

The aspiring reporter snickered at that last one. Other than that funny interlude, she was growing more anxious and uneasy as the minutes ticked by. This should have been a simple task even for Nori. What was the holdup!? Did the police take him away already?

Finally after eight minutes, there was a beep from one of her tabs. He was still there. Arumi clutched her chest, breathing a heavy sigh of relief as she opened it up.

I found the plug, but how and what do I zip?

She could only smile and laugh. Oh, Nori. This was not something she had expected to have to explain to somebody, yet here they both were.

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

July 5th, 2015

Arumi talked Nori through sending her the recordings. The Schrader family recorders used tape, but had digital capabilities built into them. They automatically made a copy of any recording made on the SD cards. One good thing about working with Nori, it was easier to explain to him how and why they still used tapes; for example, lossless recording. Heck, some people she spoke to didn't even know what a cassette was. He knew, growing up as he did.

After she had the audio and verified it was, in fact, for real, she instructed him what to do, as well as what to say and not to say when he was questioned. She also asked him to write up a statement for press release and send it to her, just in case they tried to pin it on him somehow. He knew not to be seen getting into the back of a police car if possible, and she agreed it was a good idea to outright tell them she had a copy of the damning evidence against Kallisto.

Meanwhile, she had been spending all of her time getting her article ready. Her parents found out about it when she tried to skip dinner that night. They were gobsmacked when she told them, hypnotized by both pride and envy. Thankfully, they kept quiet and even gave her a few suggestions. One of them seemed especially key: writing up separate introductions for whether the SCPD tried to cover it up, or if they did their jobs properly and found out what was really happening. She hoped the sight of her tape recorder would be enough to dissuade them.

Nori sent her an email on the 3rd saying they tried to arrest him, but backed down to investigate further after he showed them the recordings and made a statement at the station. She knew that didn't necessarily mean anything, and told him to stay on-guard.

She was finished with the report as of 1am, and after waking up had been fine-tuning everything to near-perfection. All the while, she had the news set to refresh every minute. Eventually, something she'd been hoping not to see popped up. ‘Sunyshore Police Issue Statement, Make Arrest in Keravnos Injury Case.’

Arumi clicked in. She skimmed the column. She huffed, twirling her braid.

Without a shred of hesitation, she took her article, posted it into her blog, and sent it out into the world. She made a flap, posted on various forums, made mirrors in a couple places, emailed news outlets, and sent enough messages that it probably constituted as spam. Then she called for her parents to help further spread the word. It was out there at last. All Arumi could do now was hope it was good enough and reached the right ears.

##########
=========
##########

Random, in the FFNet version of this fic, FritzNieves' line is tweaked a little because they don't let you use the @ symbol there and there's still a 140 character limit in 2015 - I went with it visually working instead of finding a replacement character. Aside if you're wondering, most of those "Tweeter" handles are just references to users/fics for filler, but six are known characters (including Arumi and Tono) and one's a canon character.

The end of Act 3 is next time. As usual I'll talk some planning things around it: a lot of scenes in June went from Kallisto's perspective to Tono's perspective. Some were even written from Kallisto's before I tweaked them to be from Tono's. Even then it was originally more blatant: it changed on the spot from Kallisto's to Nori's when it seemed he was going to jump on exhibition day. This let me more easily write those earlier scenes and obfuscate Kallisto's thoughts more. I also downtoned Nori's freaking out down in places, though it had to still be fairly strong here.

Last edited:
Daaaaaamn! Now this chapter was absolutely baller! Arumi really came through for Nori and helped him in a way that may have basically saved his life! I'm glad Nori took Arumi's advice about getting solid proof in regards to exposing Kallisto and his own involvement (or lack thereof) in the incident. It was really satisfying to see Nori throw the evidence in the police officer's faces and see them squirm. Also, I snickered at the Billy Ordride cameo and him losing yet another job due to his own stupidity. Here's hoping this turns out well for both Arumi and Nori!

Ahahaha.
Aha.
Ahahahah.

Ahahahahahahaha!

Arumi with the save.

I love it when a plan comes together.

"Sorry!" she said. "I need to stay here!"

"Why?!" Souji tersely demanded.

"No comment!" She knew those two simple words would make them understand.

"That's our girl!" her dad praised.
Bwahaha. I love it.

@MasterBOrdrider: JUST GOT FIRED FROM MY JOB!! THE 7TH IN A YEAR!!! HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW #KallistoKeravnos WAS GOING TO SKATE DOWN THE PANELS?? AND WHY
I hadn't been keeping count but he got to lucky seven!

One of them seemed especially key: writing up separate introductions for whether the SCPD tried to cover it up, or if they did their jobs properly and found out what was really happening. She hoped the sight of her tape recorder would be enough to dissuade them.
It's only vaguely related but it calls to mind how Dwight Eisenhower wrote two speeches before D-day; one for if it succeeded and one for if it failed.

‘Sunyshore Police Issue Statement, Make Arrest in Keravnos Injury Case.’
I have a feeling it's not actually Nori who has been arrested, but we'll see.

One thing I am a little uncertain about:
The cops meanwhile, became more horrified as some of the conversations from their first set of races and from two days ago played out before them.
Didn't the first set of races take place before Nori got the recorder? Did it mean to say "about their first set of races"?

Okay, time to finally check this out back at the beginning. I've actually read some of this starting from where you mention a fictionalization version of me who shares one of my characters surnames and about up to the current chapter from the Nori and Shinbou chapters but I never read from the beginning which would make things..make sense. I've read the one-shot prequel of this too when I was a contingency judge in 2020's one-shot event and I just read Training a Demon to catch up and learn from the beginning.

This review will be my impressions of Month 0 and the first two parts of the first month.

Honestly, it's kinda weird to put my thoughts onto paper. I'm unsure if I like Nori, though to be fair I've never been the biggest fan of kid characters even if Nori is mature for his age. But I imagine he'll grow on me, his writing as been top notch. Also doesn't help I'm imagining as what I perceive Nori the user as die to the shared name.

I like to point out the canon characters just for some fun. Honestly you nail out Volkner's apathy on point, though I am wondering if this is during the process he loses his passion for being a Gym Leader or he's already lost it and just going through it for Nori's sake/he can't move on before he's done with this kid.

Seeing Maylene as a young kid is kinda weird, considering she's nine here with a crush on an older brother figure but is not that far away from age from being a brawling Gym Leader in the main games but her dojo background is not referenced here. This girl went to Snowpoint City barefoot! Where is that spark!?

I am kinda hoping we see a change in personality for the Nidorina, just to see what can happen with a feisty (now) slightly uncontrollable Pokémon with a love for battling, I want to see if it has a caring side since Nori's treating them so well.

Plot hasn't kicked up yet for me at two chapters, but the basic premise is interesting. A young boy becoming a Pokémon rehabilitator, which apparently doesn't exist in the Poké-verse? Like really? This concept or job doesn't exist? Or are you just referring to Nori and the Demon's specific case? Still it's an interesting path to take besides the usual trainer fics.

Alright, a little of month 1 and a lot to catch up on. Looking forward to the rest of this! A meta-verse I'm actually interested in!!

Okay, time to finally check this out back at the beginning. I've actually read some of this starting from where you mention a fictionalization version of me who shares one of my characters surnames and about up to the current chapter from the Nori and Shinbou chapters but I never read from the beginning which would make things..make sense. I've read the one-shot prequel of this too when I was a contingency judge in 2020's one-shot event and I just read Training a Demon to catch up and learn from the beginning.
Hey, good to see you here! :D So actually, I made some edits to Training a Demon that I didn't put here. Most of it was simply general cleanup or fixing odd wording, but there was one noteworthy change: Prema is the one who doesn't understand a colloquialism in the last chapter. Fits her character more rather than Nori to do so and is more consistent with her not doing so in the second chapter.

Honestly, it's kinda weird to put my thoughts onto paper. I'm unsure if I like Nori, though to be fair I've never been the biggest fan of kid characters even if Nori is mature for his age. But I imagine he'll grow on me, his writing as been top notch.
Nori is a bit of an oddity when it comes to his maturity. He absolutely is more level-headed and world-aware than most twelve-year-olds, since he grew up on the razor's edge of poverty and likes the news. But he can still be childish, because you'll meet few teenagers who really are fully adult-like in every way (Tono is an excellent example of "less mature than he thinks he is", as an example). Nori is otherwise a very round character with a lot of facets and emotions.

Definitely can say he certainly may take a little getting used to and exposition/character development, though. Realistic kid characters just hit different from adult characters.

Also doesn't help I'm imagining as what I perceive Nori the user as die to the shared name.
So this as mentioned is a coincidence in several ways. Nori first showed up in the non-canon off-site Pokemon: A Marvelous Journey Awry, an alternate world version of Juliko's fic that takes what a hypothetical a scolding reviewer said and runs with it to disastrous results. babynames.com (erroneously) lists Nori as a unisex name that means "Belief", which fit his character themes. I had no idea there was a Nori the user here until I came back looking to expand off FFNet for proper fics. Even more hilariously and what pushed me to the cameo is their characters' similar appearances: dark hair and reddish eyes. Although Nori is certainly not like Real!Nori or Fic!Real!Nori in personality besides being cheerful by default.

I like to point out the canon characters just for some fun. Honestly you nail out Volkner's apathy on point, though I am wondering if this is during the process he loses his passion for being a Gym Leader or he's already lost it and just going through it for Nori's sake/he can't move on before he's done with this kid.
Glad to hear you think that, apathetic Volkner is a joy to write. As for whether this leads to his loss of passion...well. See below, but wouldn't blame you if you see the signs of it.

Seeing Maylene as a young kid is kinda weird, considering she's nine here with a crush on an older brother figure but is not that far away from age from being a brawling Gym Leader in the main games but her dojo background is not referenced here. This girl went to Snowpoint City barefoot! Where is that spark!?
Maylene is still a good 4-5 years out from becoming a Gym Trainer in my timeline. She hasn't even started down the path of a trainer just yet. Early spoiler that isn't relevant to this fic: she gets into martial arts off-camera. Nori used to stand up to her bullies, and when he was gone during this fic, she takes some courses to learn how to stand up for herself.

I am kinda hoping we see a change in personality for the Nidorina, just to see what can happen with a feisty (now) slightly uncontrollable Pokémon with a love for battling, I want to see if it has a caring side since Nori's treating them so well.
This gets addressed later on. He certainly tamed her to a degree the government deemed acceptable, but...well, you'll see!

Plot hasn't kicked up yet for me at two chapters, but the basic premise is interesting.
Yeah, the plot really doesn't start to cook until somewhere in March. Since you've peeked at those later chapters, you know some of how it picks up. Until then it's almost a pseudo slice of life fic with some ongoing plot to keep things moving along.

A young boy becoming a Pokémon rehabilitator, which apparently doesn't exist in the Poké-verse? Like really? This concept or job doesn't exist? Or are you just referring to Nori and the Demon's specific case? Still it's an interesting path to take besides the usual trainer fics.
Training a Demon explains this a little better. There's some Pokemon where even being a master trainer or having a caring heart isn't enough to get their respect, like the Demon herself. Pokemon Rehabilitators have unorthodox mentalities needed to handle these threats to society - you'd be surprised at what hasn't been thought up yet. It gets talked about in this fic late into Month 4. I can tell you this is actually close to how certain government agencies recruit in real life: by finding and picking out creative members of the public. As for it not existing before...we'll come back to it later, but for now I'll say it puts Nori in an awkward spot.

This actually ties into MarAwry too: I wanted Nori to be between the child and adult worlds, so he could interact with the MarJour cast on their level while understanding the scope of the situation and being in a position to help. A special kind of Pokemon Trainer used to working with dangerous Pokemon seemed the most fitting, especially given the plot was about the tragic fate of the Red Gyarados. "Interesting path to take" was another reason, of course - Prema fits under this category too.

Alright, a little of month 1 and a lot to catch up on. Looking forward to the rest of this! A meta-verse I'm actually interested in!!
And looking forward to the rest of your reading! You started at a great time, as the fic is closing in on finishing!

Daaaaaamn! Now this chapter was absolutely baller! Arumi really came through for Nori and helped him in a way that may have basically saved his life! I'm glad Nori took Arumi's advice about getting solid proof in regards to exposing Kallisto and his own involvement (or lack thereof) in the incident.
Well, it was more Arumi telling him what to do here. But either way, yeah. She's come quite a long way from you thinking of her as an annoying trope of a pushy school reporter, huh?

It was really satisfying to see Nori throw the evidence in the police officer's faces and see them squirm.
This was a scene I tweaked and tweaked until I was satisfied with it. Particularly in everyone's actions during it: in particular, Pachi did more than in earlier drafts.

Also, I snickered at the Billy Ordride cameo and him losing yet another job due to his own stupidity. Here's hoping this turns out well for both Arumi and Nori!
There's a few cameos in that scene besides counting the references: the doctor from March, Luka from a few chapters ago (themself a reference actually), and BigJimmy69 - the guy Tono was arguing about Gen1 with. Evelyn O'Moore is the canon character. And of course Arumi mentioning article propositions earlier is also stuffed full of references.

---

Ahahaha.
Aha.
Ahahahah.

Ahahahahahahaha!
:D

I hadn't been keeping count but he got to lucky seven!
#1. Lifeguard at Tonsen Land: Fired when he was having sex with Nori's teacher instead of doing his job
#2. Employee at WyldSyde Sports: Fired for not doing his job and getting distracted, particularly before Nori
#3. Lunchman at Gama Memorial Junior: Fired for starting a fire when preparing Nori's lunch
#4. Event MC: Fired for not cutting the microphone on Nori
#5. Worker at sandwich store: Fired for three screw-ups, including not putting up a wet floor sign causing Nori's friend Yuki to slip
#6. Security guard at Sunyshore Gym: Fired AGAIN for having sex with Nori's (now-former) teacher instead of doing his job
#7. Watchman at Sunyshore Observatory: Fired for not stopping the Gym Trainers (and Nori) from skating down the solar panels

It's only vaguely related but it calls to mind how Dwight Eisenhower wrote two speeches before D-day; one for if it succeeded and one for if it failed.
Knowing that Arumi's parents are in the news industry, this may well be where they got the idea from. You have to get your story ready as soon as possible, after all.

I have a feeling it's not actually Nori who has been arrested, but we'll see.
We will see!

One thing I am a little uncertain about:

Didn't the first set of races take place before Nori got the recorder? Did it mean to say "about their first set of races"?
Fixed. The order of things was a little different in planning. Made it a little more clear that it's from some of his mostly failed attempts from before to get them to say incriminating things.

GAIDEN: Just Lying?
June was the most freeform chapter, the only thing I originally planned was Nori vs. Ollie and the end events. Aside, it was originally another 3v3, except Nori would have a "notorious Gym Pokemon" as his third. I eventually changed this to the double battle idea to make it more interesting and give Ollie a genuine chance to shine, which is also when I started putting in scenes of friction between the Demon and Pachi. Nori was intended to have actually been broken down and "falling in line" a little more, until discovering what happened to Ollie on his own. The Nori/Arumi friendship turned out different: originally the former had trouble trusting Arumi in June, although the latter was similar to concept. I obviously flipped that around to Nori putting absolute trust in her.

Also I am a little surprised no one remarked on the last scene of A Move to Adjudicate having a direct connection with this fic.

##########
=========
##########

GAIDEN: Just Lying?
July 6th, 2015

On the night of July 6th, Prema Kannagi was sitting alone in her room, at the new location of the Kannagi Shrine in Veilstone City. About a week prior, she had been through an ordeal of her own involving a particular protest group she had a brief history with. While she had managed to push aside her worries in the interim, they had come flooding back in full today. Much of them were regarding her own future.

It was 11:31pm. The future head priestess felt if she did nothing to take her mind off her concerns, she would only be able to sleep when exhaustion set in. This would lead to oversleeping, which was unacceptable in her position.

She eyed her radio. Though she enjoyed listening to the news to get a view of the world outside her bubble, she had been avoiding it as of late. Her shrine had been in the news, and she didn't want her self-doubts getting worse by potentially hearing about it. At this point, however, her logic was that anything she might hear could not worsen her mood.

She scooted over to turn it on just in time to catch the beginning of a report. "Turning to regional news now. Controversy is continuing to come out of the Sunyshore City Gym after an investigation by authorities."

Prema snapped upright. Sunyshore's Gym? That was where Nori had been training. She turned up the radio and sat closer.

---​

The report was playing earlier on in the day during the 6pm news broadcast, and at that time much of the Veilstone City trailer park had gathered for a group listen. Everyone knew Nori from his time there, had heard a lot about him, or in the case of Ayume Carino, was his mother. He was still one of their own.

"It is beginning now, everyone," declared that Rashid friend of Nori's. A radio had been placed on an overturned steel drum. Some people had brought out chairs, others were standing or leaning against their vehicles, or even sitting down on dirt.

"On July 1st, the trainers of the Gym as well as 12-year-old Nori Carino, a future official training under Gym Leader Volkner Denzi, had made plans for a race down the solar panels near the Sunyshore Observatory. Kallisto Keravnos - a semi-professional skateboarder, the Gym's top star, and recipient of the Medal of Valor - was critically injured when he fell roughly ten meters to the ground below."

"Well, hello there, Ayume."

She turned to the person who had spoken, Maya Ito. "Hello."

The elderly woman was almost always friendly, but Ayume had been wary around her the past several months. She was one of many who turned a cold shoulder to her son when he had first decided to train the Demon Nidorina. She hadn't forgotten, and the woman had only superficially apologized about it.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm fine." She was horrified when she first learned of her son's struggles back in May. There was a point where she was strongly considering hitchhiking to Sunyshore to sort things out. She would've if she trusted the people around to keep an eye on her trailer. "I'm just relieved Nori is okay. It looks like he's my son after all." Stubborn, but true to himself and always finding a way to make things work.

"Police initially suspected Carino to be behind the incident, based on testimony. However, they announced yesterday afternoon that new evidence has come to light implicating the Gym Trainers - specifically, Keravnos - to be behind the incident. So far, one arrest has been made, and all of them have been dismissed from their position by League officials."

---​

"Moreover, an article began circulating online shortly after police issued their statement, written by aspiring journalist Arumi Schrader. The report details the incident from as told from Carino's perspective, and unveils a history of abuse by the former Gym Trainers towards the young official."

Maylene Gavali sat spellbound in her new apartment, listening to the radio report with her father. Her life had changed greatly ever since he lost the house back in February. Something about debts from the Game Corner. She wasn't the same girl who had kissed Nori back in December. Heck, it seemed Nori wasn't the same person, either.

Both of them had grown and learned lots. She'd been standing up to her bullies a bit more without Nori around to protect her. But Nori was far worse off! Kallisto Keravnos of all people was bullying him? She was glad he survived! Hopefully he could be done with his training soon! The pink-haired girl wanted to see her friend again! Even if it was going to be awkward...

---​

"The article included audio of the Gym Trainers issuing threatening words to Carino shortly before the race. It also included accounts of other incidents, including a previously undocumented assault in early March which ended in a broken arm for Carino."

The man known as the sea dog listened in approval. Nori Carino had found a worthy ally, one who aided him in exposing that scum once and for all.

He was no saint himself. In fact, he was certain he was going straight to the darkest hell of Naraka when it came time to set sail across the Sanzu. But everything he had done had been for the empire. Yes, he was hiding, in a way escaping his crimes much like that scum had been. But he otherwise accepted his loss, and simply chose to remain out of sight and mind. The one called Kallisto Keravnos acted only for one man, and wanted no one but him to be in the spotlight.

That scum had chosen to leave Nori Carino to drown in fear for his reputation taking the slightest blemish. He had risked exposure by saving Nori Carino's life. The contrast between the two was as night and day. It appears it was a wise decision.

---​

"While the report was primarily focused on the Carino incident, it briefly touched upon others' experiences with the Gym Trainers of Sunyshore. Reports of trash talk which bordered on verbal abuse were reported by a few challengers. Keravnos was not named in any of these, however–"

Betsy-Ann Jostein was listening to the report as well, being among the ones quoted. She wasn't sure how that Arumi girl got a hold of her, but maybe the Schraders had better connections than she thought. In any case, she was happy to give information about her experiences. She was one of the only others who had personal experience with Kallisto. And that was the big thing here. Never mind the other three.

The report continued on with a few quotes - like one made by an anonymous young woman from Hoenn who visited the Gym in April - and lightly touching on her own experiences in greater detail. To her surprise, it segued into Kallisto giving a statement.

"I've made a lot of mistakes in my life. Not just this race either, heh. It's part of what makes us human, learning and growing from new knowledge and experiences. But if I've ever done anything - or failed to do something - that offended or hurt anyone unintentionally, then I cannot apologize enough."

She could only shake her head in disgust at that. Kallisto ain't sorry, she thought. The only reason he was saying that was cause he got caught, and he said that all the time. If he was really sorry, he would've changed a long time ago, and actually attempted to make amends. Of course, she had no doubts many would stand by him regardless, or forgive him without too much on his part. He was after all, as Nori put him, the perfect untouchable Kallisto.

---​

"In wake of the scandal, authorities have closed the Sunyshore Gym, pending an investigation as to whether the Gym Leader was complicit. 28-year-old Volkner Denzi declined to comment on the situation. We were able to get a short interview with Nori Carino about his views on the incident."

"Wow! Nori's on TV!" some little girl squeed in the hub of the Eterna City Pokemon Center. Spike had overheard her name when she was at the counter, Mona Morris.

"What's your problem, kid?" the Solaceon-native barked at her. "Nori Carino sucks."

"How could you not like him? He's awesome! And pretty cute, too!" The girl pulled out a notepad, flipping to a page that had a signature on it. "I actually have his autograph, see? I wanna be just like him!"

"Huh, very nice," some older teenager remarked. Spike had actually met this guy the other day, and he wasn't impressed at this Yuuta dweeb despite him having eight badges. He apparently qualified at Sunyshore through that fatass after Kallisto whooped him twice. "I saw him at the Gym a few times in January, but I never got a chance to talk to him."

Mona giggled. "Too bad, I got to talk to and battle him!"

"So? I did too, ain't nothin' special," Spike chimed in.

Yuuta ignored him and said, "Maybe I can stop by there when I go to the League and battle him too."

"You're both fuckin' dumb," Spike dismissed.

Eyes were starting to fall upon him. Between that, these kids, and hearing the voice on the television, Spike left for his room in disgust. Everything about that softy Nori Carino pissed him off. A big surprise, considering how cool he was the day they met.

He'd just earned his first badge by defeating Gardenia yesterday. The only part of it that he cared about was the fact that he might not be fighting Volkner for a badge whenever he returned to Sunyshore. A shame. He was looking forward to that, actually.

---​

"So for the past six months you've been subject to what can only be described as horrific living conditions at Sunyshore Gym. What are your feelings on this?"

"It was only horrific because of who I was around every day. Everything else was fine, I had my own room with good food, and the training was all right. I'm just glad it's over, really."

"What would you say was the most negative factor there?"

"Kallisto, by far. Just for his influence and how people thought he could do no wrong for the longest time. Volkner was bad for a while, but we started getting along eventually."

Jamie sighed as she sat watching the news with Kelsey. It'd been a long time since she'd heard Nori's voice. And he was just as good-looking as ever.

"Still thinking of him?" her friend asked.

"Yeah." Nori had gotten away from her, just when it seemed so close. She broke it off, but started regretting it soon after school had ended. "Now I'm the only one of us without anyone. You have your boyfriend, and Arty and Marie got together. I'm kinda pathetic."

"I'm sure you can find someone else," the blonde girl encouraged.

"I know," she said. "But I don't think I'll ever find anyone like him again."

---​

"Do you have any comments on the other Gym Trainers?"

"Nothing in general. They were all bad in their own ways. And good in their own ways too. They were actually treating me fine at the end and owned up to some of the things they did to me. They just didn't stop this. Sometimes I wonder if even they were helpless under Kallisto, but I can only speculate. Can't like, speak for them."

Yuki was dumbstruck. He and the other members of the news club were doing a group watch of the report over the internet. Arumi wasn't with them, but her presence was obviously still felt. And at the center of it was a former member of their club. Nori Carino.

"This is insane, I don't know–" Lorant started to speak.

"Quiet!" rasped Beau. That had to have been a first, Lorant being interrupted.

"Save it till after," agreed Gino, although in a far kinder tone.

Yes, thought Yuki. This was insane. He actually regretted blowing up on Nori immediately after doing so. Now he regretted it even more. How differently would things had gone if he and the rest of the club had stuck by him? Yuki could only fantasize. They were all wrong about Nori. And for that matter, he had a feeling the others now felt they were also wrong about Arumi.

---​

"Your mentor was in contention for promotion to Elite Four. Do you have any thoughts on this given present events?"

Nori glanced away. "I...don't know if I can say anything about that. Or if I should."

Flint Donaldson was in the Snowpoint Gym's break room. He was on the edge of his seat! Right there on the couch, with Hinata and Firuz on either side of him. Sofie was here too, leaning against the wall in the back. Kimmy and Alicia had both gone home for the night, but they had Alicia on the phone.

"I can't believe Kallisto would do those things," Firuz mumbled as the report shifted away from the Nori portion.

"Candice can't believe it either," chimed in Alicia's friend. "It's crazy!"

None of them could. Flint supposed just about everyone had a side of them that wasn't often seen, if not completely hidden. But Kallisto Keravnos? Woof. He got totally blindsided by that one. Least he was far from alone there.

"Yeah. I need some time to think about this," Alicia grumbled with a bit of haste. "But I'll be in tomorrow morning. Bye."

Firuz switched off his phone, holding it on his lap. "S-so what does this mean?" he asked, sidling away as he mumbled.

Hinata smirked devilishly. "I guess it means Flint's the next member of the Elite Four," she declared, reaching out and putting an arm around his shoulder.

"Probably," said Flint. It was the obvious conclusion. "Kinda hard to see them giving V the Elite Four position given this. Just wish I didn't have to get it by default..."

Sofie facepalmed. "Stop complaining. A win's a win, right?"

"Not a good way to look at it," Flint said. He had to say, he was disappointed in her. Not just now, but as of late. Sure, she'd been less openly abrasive, but she hadn't made any real progress.

His probable victory was met with a mixed reception from his present Gym Trainers. Flint could tell why. They were wondering what their future would be, now that he was moving up in the world.

"Hey, don't worry about it too much, Hinata," he assured his longtime friend. "I may be going on to hotter pastures, but the Snowpoint Gym's gonna stay open! Have a few people in mind to take over, in fact!"

Firuz frowned and turned away. Flint was sure he could pull it off. And he was just the first choice; if his best Gym Trainer absolutely positively refused, he had a certain girl in mind for the job.

Hinata slowly peered up, as if reminiscing on something. "I'm sure it'll work out," she said, her cheer returning. Good to see! She'd been keeping her chin up lately despite her divorce, and Flint preferred to see it that way.

"And I'll keep in touch with all of you, no matter what happens!"

Without so much as a warning, Hinata leaned in and planted a kiss on his cheek. "You'd better make sure of it," she nearly commanded, although in a flirty manner.

Firuz gasped, Sofie simply let out a ‘heh.’ Flint smirked. She'd been making eyes at him lately, but wow, he wasn't expecting that. But hey, maybe he'd try this out, once her husband was officially gone of course. Especially since him and Volkner was never happening.

---​

Kallisto Keravnos was confined to his hospital bed, in a full body cast. He was dead center of the wide-open room. Numerous medical instruments and a television were above and around him. It was thanks to the gods and the very best help available he was still here. Though there was a period of agony in which he was begging for the release of death...

The television was tuned to the news, and had been playing a version of the same report. It was accompanied by shots of the locations in question. The teenager shut his eyes when it turned to the place he had fallen again. Nori was interviewed for several minutes. He had a lot to say, and all Kallisto could do for now was listen helplessly.

"Were you and Kallisto on bad terms from the start?" asked the interviewer.

"No, it was great until he attacked me in March, over dating others and worrying about his image if someone else did before him. We might've even become good friends if not for that."

"And you never saw anything out of him before that?"

Nori paused, ruffling his hair. "Actually, there was one thing," he hesitantly spoke up. For a moment he turned away, before huffing and facing the camera once more. "I didn't think anything about it at the time. But thinking back on it, I should've. In January, I had a friend over to visit. A very, very good friend named Lux Blomgren. He was, well. A lot of things to me. But about him, if you just looked at his face, you might think you were looking at a cute girl. And that's what they thought at first, too. They thought I'd brought a girl to the Gym. Even Kallisto seemed shocked. I didn't think much of it at the time, but sometimes I wonder what they would've done if Lux really was a girl."

It was true. In that brief moment before knowing that Lux's gender, he was stunned. He felt the same thing in February when he heard Nori had been asked out. Kallisto should've brought his request up sooner and on better terms. Preferably without the others to mess things up. Or better yet, not asked it at all. One thing Nori was right about, people probably wouldn't have cared. If he'd realized that from the start, none of this would've happened.

His mouth suddenly became suffocatingly dry. He tilted his head to the right, reaching for a dangling string with his mouth. He bit down and pulled back. A few seconds later, an elderly female nurse with dark gray hair entered the room.

"Yes?"

"Water, please."

"Yes, Mr. Keravnos."

The nurse grabbed a bottle of spring water, unscrewed it, and put a white bendy straw into it. She held it to his mouth, allowing him to drink. He drank nearly half the bottle, still in disbelief he had to get help for something this simple.

"Thank you. Can you turn the TV off, too?" He'd seen enough of this.

"Of course. Call if you need to use the bathroom." The nurse grabbed the remote and hit the power button. She closed the bottle, put the straw away to be washed, and left the room.

Kallisto had made one critical mistake, and it had cost him almost everything. He was going to be almost immobile for the rest of his life. His girlfriend had left him, for what that was worth. His best friend was likely headed to jail and a long probation. He still had many fans, no doubt, but his reputation had taken a sledgehammer blow.

Kallisto's worst fears had come true. He was concerned when Nori refused to be broken down, that he was going to try something drastic to bring him down, even if it meant going down with him. Worse, Kallisto couldn't rule out that Nori might succeed. Yet he did not see that one coming. He never thought Arumi Schrader would do anything like this, and he pondered if Lady Kannagi also played a role. Did Nori plan on making him do the race alone? Getting distracted was his own fault, but if he hadn't done that, this never would've happened. Nori had completely won. The head Gym Trainer was more than a little miffed.

But there was no sense dwelling. He was better than that. Nori had his life, and now he had to focus on his own. Once he was able, he would make the amends he could and get back to being the best Pokemon Trainer he could be.

---​

The 11pm report soon came to a close. Lux Blomgren switched the radio off. This was the second time he had listened to the report. He had been glued to the news ever since hearing what happened days ago. A incident at Sunyshore Gym, where Nori Carino resided. The boy he had liked...no, still liked.

The first time he had heard his name had been spoken at the end of April, it had stunned him. He thought after nearly two months that Nori would've long since moved on and completely forgotten about him. Maybe he was only trying to convince himself of that in a vain attempt at closure. Yet, Nori hadn't forgotten. The proof was right there. And hearing him speak his name on the radio with his own ears just now made his heart skip a beat.

Not only that, but another belief of his had been shattered. He thought Nori would be better off without him, and that despite what he said, his beloved friend wouldn't want to throw away his reputation. But he'd challenged Kallisto Keravnos of all people! He had to have been one of the most hated people in all of Sinnoh because of that that! And he probably did so without a second thought! Nori truly wouldn't have minded being dragged down by someone unpopular like him. Or, maybe even being with him.

Ever since he had moved, his life had gone right back to where it was before he met Nori. He had no friends, was disliked by many people for being weird, and a persistent bully who made his life miserable. No, his life was worse. His parents were fighting more often than before, and his mom had become even more controlling and demanding. He hadn't even been able to get into botany as he'd been considering.

But, there was still Nori. He was still out there, still thinking about him. He wasn't afraid to say it, either. What would people think? He already knew what his mom would think.

The Byzantium-haired boy fell onto his bed. He hugged his plush Buneary, wishing that it was Nori. Not just because of his feelings, but just to be with his friend, the only friend he'd ever had. He wished he could go to Sunyshore tomorrow, go up to the door of the Gym, be greeted by Nori there, and give him a big hug. If only...

Lux sighed, curling up deeper into his plushie. He knew it wasn't healthy to like someone so much. Especially someone he might never see again. The boy sighed, remembering their time together.

The day they first met, Spike had been taunting and threatening him. The bully had told him of his intentions to skip class, and was going to hit him just for telling him that was a bad idea. Then Nori called out to them. Spike looked away for just one second, and that was enough to make a break for it. The boy glanced back, catching sight of Nori for the first time. He saw him for a second time when he got to class, much to his surprise. He thought about saying thank you, but decided against it. He probably didn't mean to help him, plus it'd be weird. A lot of people thought he was weird.

Then came the day Spike stole his plushie and got a bunch of people to play monkey in the middle. Including Nori. Who ended up giving it back. He was so stunned by that, he didn't realize he was running away for several seconds even after Nori had shoved him. When Nori asked him if he snitched, he told the truth. He knew better. And he was finally able to thank him for his help. But, he wasn't sure what else to say. What if he said something strange or creepy by mistake? That's why he said bye and left.

And that fateful day where they were made to partner up to dissect flowers. Having to be a burden to someone always bothered Lux, yet Nori was insistent. He couldn't understand, how could anyone want to associate with him? When Nori affirmed his actions the day after and said he wanted to be friends, he couldn't help but hug him in sheer happiness. It was like a veil of darkness had been lifted from his life, and a bright ray of sunshine was shining down on him.

In February, Jamie came around. Lux couldn't deny that he was deathly afraid. No matter how much he treasured Nori, he felt the friendship was one-sided. What if he found better friends than him? He could only do so much for Nori, especially with his mom in the picture attempting to keep them apart. Yet his friend stood firm.

And there were the hugs. Lux always hugged his plushies; it made him feel more secure. Nori was the first other person he had hugged besides his parents. It felt nice. The first time they ate together in the kindergarten hallway, Lux almost hugged him instinctively. This time he caught himself. But Nori asked if he wanted one, and so they did. Hugging became a routine for them, as long as no one was around to see them. It was just as friends, they made that clear between themselves. But it might've been that which made Lux want more. Especially hugging such a cute person...who, also maybe thought he was cute too?

Well, he couldn't pinpoint the exact moment. It was as early as Valentine's, even if he hadn't realized it at the time. Lux still remembered his poem exactly. He couldn't believe he'd written all that, and Nori thought nothing of it.

Lux was looking forward to the school trip. He would be able to spend as much time as he wanted with Nori without worrying about his mom or Nori having duties at the Gym. For the first time, he was truly able to help Nori on the ship. And then...at the water park. He had to stop and stare at Nori for several seconds when he saw him sitting alone in the water. There was the incident with Spike. How he felt when Nori went down the waterslide. How he felt when Nori was nearly drowning. Being able to rescue him and hold him in his arms in front of everyone briefly.

Finally, it was there in the hospital, sitting there cuddling with Nori, that he truly realized he was starting to fall for his friend. His heart was racing, his mind clouded. He couldn't think of anything to say, so decided to just enjoy the moment.

He was caught in the web of indecision. He thought if he told Nori, there was a chance he'd say no and want nothing to do with him, not even as a friend. But if he didn't tell Nori, Jamie might move in and take him away regardless. He came close to simply blurting out an ‘I love you’ multiple times. The closest he came was in the field that day, the day that changed everything. He backed out however, hoping that romantic hug would be enough.

The rest of that day flashed by as a blur. The prospect of the assembly. Jamie's invitation. How Nori asked him his birthday at lunch...

Wait, July 11th. Nori's birthday! He could send him a card! A letter! He could send it right to the Sunyshore Gym!

Lux lit up. He shoved out of bed, nearly tripping over his blankets in the process. He switched on his light, took some paper out of his school binder, and stood up at his dresser. He started writing, putting down whatever came to mind first and making corrections later.

There was so much he wanted to say to Nori. He wasn't sure how much of it he wanted to say, but he could finally say it.

##########
=========
##########

This chapter specifically was one I had in my mind since starting the fic. It ended up way different and larger scale than expected. About the only thing that survived from the original was the opening with Prema and Lux musing Nori absolutely wouldn't mind his reputation being dragged down.

On the subject of battles, Nori was going to have a rematch against Kallisto on May 20th in a "rental Pokemon battle" (an attempt by Volkner to give him a chance), but I dropped that in favor of the Tono Takuma day idea, moving Nori vs. Tono to there. Also originally, Nori was REALLY asking to be blown up on by Kallisto after taunting Tono after the battle, but it no longer made sense given character development/direction (like with the March 1st change). Association with the other two helped justify it anyway on Kallisto's end.

Kallisto Keravnos' Party:
Raitora [Ace], Ludicolo [#2], Shiny Ampharos [Also #2], Oricorio, Zebstrika, Dromazolt, Xurkitree, Porygon2, Goodra, H-Arcanine / Gallade

Needless to say, no final Kallisto battle. Given his archetype/parody, the idea was to give him a number of special Pokemon: count - a beta (first shown to establish), a shiny, an Ultra Beast, a fossil (the original Bird fossil at that!), an unreleased Pokemon at the time of the chapter (Hisuians are just uncommon Sinnoh-natives here, that part's not special, and it wasn't called an Arcanine just in case), a pseudo-legendary, and Porygon. Strangely, I didn't give him popular Pokemon (considered Gallade though), since that was more Tono's shtick. The other concept was having a Steven-like party: a clear type favorite in Electric, but he has others as well.

Aside, he originally had a Scolipede, but - off-camera as it was - that was removed for symbolism. As hinted by some of Tono's remarks, Kallisto's a dragon, and Nori's vermin - once specifically called a centipede...

Last edited:
Yep, called it that Nori wasn't arrested. Sounds like it was Tono--maybe being blamed for knocking out the power at the Gym?

Well, we're well past the point of a happy ending being possible, but it could have gone worse so there's that.
Of course Nori might still be a pariah; we'll see how that goes. I do wonder if Volkner is going to be replaced as his teacher, though, since the Gym has been shut down.

I notice this is a gaiden chapter, but it provided a useful look at the reactions of various characters like Flint, Nori's mother and friends back home, the Sea Dog, and even Jamie.

Sad to see Lux is still having so much trouble, though. Hopefully his letter can get through.

It seems Kallisto has some level of self-awareness, realizing this entire dumb thing started with his bizarre obsession with not letting anyone else at the gym have a girlfriend.
I'm a bit curious exactly how severe his long-term injuries are; he thinks he can still be a trainer but also says he'll be nearly immobile.

The observation that Ayume wanted to go to Sunnyshore but couldn't trust anyone to watch her trailer is a rather painful aside comment, isn't it?

Also Flint's commentary on Sophie not really improving are interesting; definitely feels like a bit of a mirror of what happened with Nori and Volkner.
Speaking Volkner, even if he got a lot better at the end of the day the situation in the Gym spiralled utterly out of control, and if he'd fought past his apathy earlier I can't help but wonder if this wouldn't have turned out this badly. To some extent it's clear he had less control over Kallisto than a Gym Leader usually would due to the latter's fame, though.

Well, seems the climax is done with, and I'm very curious to see what happens in the falling action.

Also I am a little surprised no one remarked on the last scene of A Move to Adjudicate having a direct connection with this fic.
In our defence that story finished close to two years ago.

Oooh, now this is a juicy chapter that really filled in some loose ends! It also explains why Nori's letters to Maylene never reached her (Though still don't quite get why his letters never reached his mother, since she's still at the trailer park). It's great to see every single character reacting to the situation unfolding in Sunyshore, with Jamie and Yuki regretting their actions, Spike still being a jerk, and Betsy-Ann and the sea dog knowing what's up. Lux, especially, was a welcome surprise! Kid, you better write your new home address or phone number in the letter you're going to send to Nori, that way he can find some way to visit or call you. I really hope Lux is able to get in contact with Nori again, and...wow, I honestly forgot about that detail in regards to the gym trainers mistaking Lux for a girl when Nori first brought him to the gym. Who would have thought things might have turned out very differently, probably worse, if Lux really had been female and Kallisto suspected they were dating? Then again, considering Lux's orientation, Kallisto and the other trainers might have reacted the same way regardless of his gender. Then again, they don't call it a Chekhov's Gun for nothing. Or would it be a meaningful echo in this case? Anyway, great job with this one!

This review will cover chapter 1. I'll be trying to work my way through the rest of this large story over time, but I work in law so my free time is limited.

That said, I like what I see. You have a really solid grasp of characterization, and every character has a strong and distinctive voice. I especially like the way you portrayed Volkner, which is very true to his depiction in the games. Aloof, a bit standoffish, and affected by a malaise at a lack of challenge in his career.

Early days so I don't have a huge amount to say but what I read made me want to keep reading, so kudos.

This review will cover chapter 1. I'll be trying to work my way through the rest of this large story over time, but I work in law so my free time is limited.
Oo. Welcome! Chapter 1, aka month 0, is a prologue in all but name that said, same for the next chapter.

That said, I like what I see. You have a really solid grasp of characterization, and every character has a strong and distinctive voice. I especially like the way you portrayed Volkner, which is very true to his depiction in the games. Aloof, a bit standoffish, and affected by a malaise at a lack of challenge in his career.
Volkner is very fun to write. That said, naturally he and Nori (and the in media res character who speaks) are the only three who will be regulars here. But I still make sure every character has those traits.

Early days so I don't have a huge amount to say but what I read made me want to keep reading, so kudos.
Strap in. Might be a bumpy ride at times, but there's always a light.

Yep, called it that Nori wasn't arrested. Sounds like it was Tono--maybe being blamed for knocking out the power at the Gym?
I mean Kallisto did confirm his best friend was going to jail. That's the confirmation before it gets outright confirmed.

Of course Nori might still be a pariah; we'll see how that goes. I do wonder if Volkner is going to be replaced as his teacher, though, since the Gym has been shut down.
Oh, that will be covered in the coming chapters. You don't just walk away from something of this magnitude without massive fallout.

I notice this is a gaiden chapter, but it provided a useful look at the reactions of various characters like Flint, Nori's mother and friends back home, the Sea Dog, and even Jamie.
The idea for this being a sweeping reaction to the news report came about logically from the expanded version. As an aside, originally Arumi's part was going to be the first part of the gaiden. But I decided I wanted to end M7-2 on the police going to arrest Nori, which left very little for M7-3. She definitely became important enough to earn main perspective though, so it worked out.

Sad to see Lux is still having so much trouble, though. Hopefully his letter can get through.
Indeed...

It seems Kallisto has some level of self-awareness, realizing this entire dumb thing started with his bizarre obsession with not letting anyone else at the gym have a girlfriend.
Which is a bit of a contrast to Nori thinking they probably would've come into conflict anyway, but also thinking it might've not gotten to this point if not for that initial incident.

I'm a bit curious exactly how severe his long-term injuries are; he thinks he can still be a trainer but also says he'll be nearly immobile.
Well, you don't need to be able to move to give your Pokemon orders. He might need help with ball throwing and certainly with getting around - might get some mobility in his hands to operate a wheelchair - but he absolutely can and will still be able to battle.

The observation that Ayume wanted to go to Sunnyshore but couldn't trust anyone to watch her trailer is a rather painful aside comment, isn't it?
She has some trust issues, some very much justified.

Also Flint's commentary on Sophie not really improving are interesting; definitely feels like a bit of a mirror of what happened with Nori and Volkner.
Aside, this part was in the original drafts, just not touched upon - in fact, it was only revealed that Volkner was in contention for Elite Four promotion very late. After the scope of the fic blew up from only being like 8-10 chapters however, I was able to put this part in earlier and show Flint's side of things. Which added an interesting wrinkle considering Flint wins by default.

Speaking Volkner, even if he got a lot better at the end of the day the situation in the Gym spiralled utterly out of control, and if he'd fought past his apathy earlier I can't help but wonder if this wouldn't have turned out this badly. To some extent it's clear he had less control over Kallisto than a Gym Leader usually would due to the latter's fame, though.
To talk a bit more behind-the-scenes, Nori absolutely called him on him letting this happen in the immediate aftermath in the initial drafts before just leaving for "his flat" (he didn't live at the Gym at first). But character development/direction happened, and so instead it became Nori calming Volkner down.

Well, seems the climax is done with, and I'm very curious to see what happens in the falling action.
Heh heh heh...

In our defence that story finished close to two years ago.
May have been about three months between the end of that fic and the start of this one, but still was a little amusing - especially since Prema's reaction strongly implied a good ending. And there was actually something else in that fic too: when YAMS confronts her and Nori is brought up, she mentions hearing of him a week ago. Didn't directly say they met, but that was also a foreshadowy thing.

---

Oooh, now this is a juicy chapter that really filled in some loose ends! It also explains why Nori's letters to Maylene never reached her (Though still don't quite get why his letters never reached his mother, since she's still at the trailer park).
Because Nori sent both letters to Maylene, since neither he or Kallisto knew how to send letters to a trailer. So both got returned to sender.

It's great to see every single character reacting to the situation unfolding in Sunyshore, with Jamie and Yuki regretting their actions, Spike still being a jerk, and Betsy-Ann and the sea dog knowing what's up.
I cranked bringing in all of the characters up to 11 here. Even some of the Gym's one-off challengers show up, like Yuuta from M1-3, Diane from M4-3 (not by name), and Mona from parts of Month 4.

It does make me wonder as an aside, retroactively, if the MarJour kids would've heard of it? Since in planning that, Kallisto was just Spike during development. The scandal wasn't nearly as national if not international news-making. Noncanon as MarAwry was though so I don't really have to worry about it. I did have to reconsider it for A Marvelous Encounter? which is why Amara thinks Nori as vaguely familiar.

Lux, especially, was a welcome surprise! Kid, you better write your new home address or phone number in the letter you're going to send to Nori, that way he can find some way to visit or call you. I really hope Lux is able to get in contact with Nori again,
I can promise it will happen eventually, even if it will not happen right away

and...wow, I honestly forgot about that detail in regards to the gym trainers mistaking Lux for a girl when Nori first brought him to the gym.
Yup! This was a really small detail that's easy to gloss over at the time, but when you put it in context like now, it makes perfect sense. Similarly, there was Kallisto and the others' strong reactions on Valentine's when hearing Jamie had asked him out. And oh yes, in that same scene, Kallisto makes the suggestion that Nori not form any romantic connections while he's at Sunyshore. He was already trying to get Nori not to date other people. Just being more subtle and indirect about it.

Who would have thought things might have turned out very differently, probably worse, if Lux really had been female and Kallisto suspected they were dating? Then again, considering Lux's orientation, Kallisto and the other trainers might have reacted the same way regardless of his gender.
Well, if it was already established, Kallisto would try to find a way to break it up as I mentioned in the extras at the end of act 1. That said also from there, Lux's orientation (even if it's more demi) would've made them tread more carefully...or be more "edgy" in Ollie's case.

Then again, they don't call it a Chekhov's Gun for nothing. Or would it be a meaningful echo in this case?
It was kind of a crazy idea that popped into my head one day. I believe I mentioned it before, but Lux was actually originally a girl in the plans. I decided to make him a boy, THEN I decided to keep the romantic interest to make things even more interesting. The final touch I realized I could do because of it was having him be very feminine in appearance so I could still foreshadow that while making sure they otherwise had no reaction.

A reader might not even think much of Lux being girly, or think it's there for some other reason. Nope, that's why.

Reviewing March of Flux (fourth part):

So as I mentioned on Discord, all of my quotes and notes got wiped for this part, so these are just gonna be general notes/stream of conscious thoughts.

Good stuff with Kallisto and Tono. I like how we got some of their perspective on the incident with Nori. And hey a Mario reference. Is the thing Tono mentioned his infamous porn stash?

Aaaaaaand we have Volkner and Flint rivalry! Flint seems to push all of Volkner's buttons without even trying lol. And would you look at that, Gym Leaders before the canon ones! I always like that. Wonder how they left their positions and wonder how the ones we know today got to where they are. Also Flint being a Gym Leader? Good stuff. Was a bit confused about that part with Roark becoming a Gym Leader and how that would open a spot in the E4, but maybe that's tired brain talking and thinking.

This Sofie girl? Big red flags from her. I've skimmed over some of the other reviews on this so I saw the talk of the age of consent, but still. If your goal was to make me want to punch her, congrats, you did it.

And at the end, we have the Gym Trainers giving advice on Lux and Volkner. Heck yeah. Maybe there's more to them than meets the eye.

Here's to my laptop not crashing. I want to try to binge the rest of March by the end of... well, March. But I also have to read Dracula so...

Also totally unrelated but what do these Gym Leaders look like? In excruciating detail? And Nori? In even more excruciating detail? I totally didn't get a mental image of Volkner being an angry Yoda to Nori's Luke Skywalker and get the urge to draw it.

So as I mentioned on Discord, all of my quotes and notes got wiped for this part, so these are just gonna be general notes/stream of conscious thoughts.
It's been 3000 years and I honestly was worried the Lux Gaiden unironically killed your motivation to ready. Stuff happens. Why I keep my stuff in text documents. FF Scrap.rtf.

Good stuff with Kallisto and Tono. I like how we got some of their perspective on the incident with Nori. And hey a Mario reference. Is the thing Tono mentioned his infamous porn stash?
I figured it was important to get their perspective on things, especially with them softening a bit given what happens in the chapter. And yup, the opening was a little weird but I wanted it to feel a little confusing until you realize what it actually is. Not sure what you mean by the thing Tono mnetioned.

Aaaaaaand we have Volkner and Flint rivalry! Flint seems to push all of Volkner's buttons without even trying lol. And would you look at that, Gym Leaders before the canon ones! I always like that. Wonder how they left their positions and wonder how the ones we know today got to where they are. Also Flint being a Gym Leader? Good stuff. Was a bit confused about that part with Roark becoming a Gym Leader and how that would open a spot in the E4, but maybe that's tired brain talking and thinking.
As I mentioned there too, the fic's 3-5 years away from Gen 4 proper, so it only makes sense that some of them aren't Gym Leaders yet. The Flint/Volkner idea was a way to raise the stakes for the latter. Roark is your tired brain talking: with one of the Elite 4 retiring, Flint and Volkner are both in contention for promotion to the Elite Four. That's going to open up a Gym Leader position, and the newest Gym Leader of Sinnoh is going to be Roark.

Of course as Flint mentioned, there's another possible retiree soon, so Sinnoh might have TWO new Gym Leaders soon.

This Sofie girl? Big red flags from her. I've skimmed over some of the other reviews on this so I saw the talk of the age of consent, but still. If your goal was to make me want to punch her, congrats, you did it.
My goal wasn't to make readers hate Sofie outright, but maybe be a bit eyebrow raisy and wary. Do know she absolutely respects boundaries and the law, so she isn't that bad. But yeah she would've propositioned Nori if he was 13 and actually defeated her, she is kind of horny!!

And at the end, we have the Gym Trainers giving advice on Lux and Volkner. Heck yeah. Maybe there's more to them than meets the eye.
Transformers But yeah, they do absolutely have depths. Been forever but Kallisto did say they're good at hear.

Here's to my laptop not crashing. I want to try to binge the rest of March by the end of... well, March. But I also have to read Dracula so...
Well the fic presses on. Might even be complete by the time you reach the end of March. But hey, can keep reading nonetheless.

Also totally unrelated but what do these Gym Leaders look like? In excruciating detail? And Nori? In even more excruciating detail? I totally didn't get a mental image of Volkner being an angry Yoda to Nori's Luke Skywalker and get the urge to draw it.
Gym Leaders or Gym Trainers? Here's the former plus Nori for now.
- Nori: He's around 125cm tall. Ear-length chestnut-colored hair, soft dark red eyes - like not "take warning" at all. As many characters have implied, he has cute facial features, while also being a little cool. I sometimes think of him as looking sort of like a genderswapped Maya Kamizono. He has a little bit of muscle, nothing major, just enough so that he's not skinny. He has various clothes. One set of his blue jeans are well-worn - he often wears those simply because they're long-lasting. He has a gray jacket for winter, and green vest with a leaf-texture for warmer months. He wears simple shirts, usually white but other solid colors aren't unknown. Some of these are also well-worn, with holes on the collars and sleeves. From his usually expression, you can definitely get the feeling he's a generally happy person, even if he has some worries beneath the surface.

- Volkner: Around 178cm. Compared to his canon design: he doesn't have sideburns and his hair is shorter and less wild. His usual Gym clothing consists of an open orange blazer over a plain white t-shirt, with dark brown work pants. He wears black shoes or boots, stuff that won't look dirty. Similarly, he sometimes wears an orange and white t-shirt. In both cases the colors are similar to a Raichu. He is still good 'ol apathetic Volkner most of the time, although there's some bitterness in his usual expression. He does have a very wry smirk and pissed-off glare, though.

- Flint: His description is in the chapter there. It's more or less warm clothing plus the massiver afro. About 10cm shorter than Volkner. Still smiles like nobody's business.

- Warutsu: A bald Japanese man in his 50s around 163cm - although with how well he's taken care of himself, the lack of hair is the only sign of his age. Thin gray eyes, and a warm friendly smile. He wears the robe of the Kannagi Shrine: a form-fitting violet robe that's like a traditional jōe except with longer sleeves like a yukata. It has silver trim along the shoulders, sleeves, and waist. You can look at Prema's sprite and art in Trainers of Fanfiction to get an idea, although his is silver to her gold. He wears jika-tabi as footwear. Often has a zen, calm expression, sometimes a gentle smile.

- Gasha: The "Toxic Gambling Lady" is a moderately tall (168cm or so) and slender Chinese woman in her 30s. She has layered silver hair with purple highlights (think pollution coming out of a smokestack) and light-green eyes (think almost a toxic green). Her casual wear consists of a smoke-gray jacket that is very sparkly, and expensive-looking slick black trousers. Her Gym Leader - and Contest, she's Fantina's rival - attire is a long coat that reaches to her knees - magenta with a bit of gray with technicolor decorations adorning it (think what oily water looks like). Around her neck is a scarf that's big and long enough to be a cloak. She wears a massive oversized hat where she keeps her Poke Balls. And high heels. No look of hers is complete without heels. Often looks smug and confident, or the expression of a performer.

Last edited:
It's been 3000 years and I honestly was worried the Lux Gaiden unironically killed your motivation to read.
I may not ever forgive you for the emotional rollercoaster that was the Lux Gaiden, but I'm still enjoying the fic despite that :p
Stuff happens. Why I keep my stuff in text documents. FF Scrap.rtf.
You know, that might be a good idea at this point.
Not sure what you mean by the thing Tono mnetioned.
I can't find the quote that originally led to this comment gosh darn it

Month 7: July of Death (fourth part)
I actually ran into trouble with splitting up chapters more than usual in act 3. If something came across as abrupt or oddly paced, that's why. May exhibition day suffered a lot from it, although it did lead to the idea to tease opening the next chapter with Yuki confessing to Nori but then BAM it opens with Kallisto denouncing him

You likely noticed the large amount of cameos across the previous two chapters: besides characters like Jamie and Betsy-Ann who otherwise left the fic, a few minor characters showed up like ex-Gym challengers. Well, be on the lookout for more.

We're entering the final act of the fic now. The main conflict may be done, but you don't just walk away from something this massive in scope. Also happy Pokemon Day, and wow was not expecting Gen 9 to be released so soon - it wasn't the craziest game-related news for me today though, Super Robot Wars W getting a fanslation was.

######
=====
######

Month 7: July of Death (fourth part)
July 7th, 2015

While Nori had received the good news on the morning of the 6th, it came with a lot of bad. With Ollie being dismissed along with the rest of the Gym Trainers, his family had pulled their sponsorship. A number of the staff had come to Volkner over salary concerns. There were also rumors circulating that Volkner would be blamed for the incident. Suddenly, Nori's future as an official was in jeopardy for a whole different reason.

"So what's going to happen?"

The boy asked this question to Volkner as Pachi did the accuracy test alone. The Gym Leader said they'd be reviewing some of the things they'd learned over the past few days. To Nori, it felt like it might be a final review before he got sent elsewhere.

"An internal investigation on my Gym," the blond man replied with amazing calm, keeping an eye on the action. "Probably getting called to the PMLH."

"PMLH?" Nori repeated. "The Pocket Monster...League?" He trailed off attempting to figure out the last word.

"Hyōgi-kai," Volkner finished. Oh, council. "They oversee all the Leagues nationwide." He nodded as the last of the Magnemites left through the panels. "They'll vote whether my Gym stays open."

"Oh..."

Nori opened the door and the squirrel jumped onto him in celebration, crawling onto his usual spot on his shoulder. The test was freeform this time around, only needing to hit as many as possible before time expired. From what the boy saw, his Pokemon had hit nearly 95% of them.

As for Volkner's woes. "But you didn't do anything!"

"That's it. I did nothing to stop Kallisto and his friends." Guilt by inaction? Whatever it was called? Were they seriously going to say that?! Volkner had a good reason why he couldn't! "Look, stop worrying. Leave that to me."

"Can't I be worried about you?"

The Gym Leader was taken by surprise. "I...guess?" he said, turning away and scratching his cheek. He quickly changed the subject. "The Demon's turn."

"Okay." Nori sent out the teal beast and motioned her into the room. Shock Wave was permitted in this test, so it would be interesting to see how she did with a ranged attack option. Especially now that she'd perfected it.

Nori was still dreading what might happen. This concerned not only Volkner's future, but his own. If the Gym Leader got removed from his position, it'd mean Nori would be sent elsewhere. There was no guarantee he'd get along with whatever new official they gave him, or if he'd adapt to the new town quickly. Besides! Volkner was...well, it would be strange to call him a friend, but...

##########​

July 8th, 2015

Nori was lounging in the arena on the 8th, allowing his Pokemon to get some practice sparring in with the Gym Leader's Pokemon. Volkner himself was answering the Gym's front door.

"Hey, someone's here to see you," he said as he stepped back inside.

The door was for him? A girl in a reporter's uniform stepped inside. For once, not wearing a disguise besides large sunglasses and a hat.

"Oh, Arumi."

"Hey, Nor'." There was a peculiar lack of enthusiasm in her tone.

"Oh, hang on." The boy stood up, knowing full well why she was here.. "I'll go get your tape recorder."

"You can get it later," she said with a sigh.

Even Volkner picked up on her apparent grief. "Uh, something wrong?"

Plopping back down on his chair, he remarked, "Yeah, you're not your usual self, Arumi. What's up?"

"I don't know." Arumi shook her head. "I finally have my big story! My own big story! I should be over the moon, but..." She stood next to him with dejection. "I guess I should've had the guts to stand up sooner. You told me what Kallisto was doing back in April, and I only acted on it now."

Nori and Volkner both listened intently. The latter turned away, scratching at his hair. He'd never even seen a hint of this side of Arumi. Nori knew it was there, but he had never seen her this down.

"If I'd gotten this out sooner, would things have gone this far?" She glanced at the Gym Leader. "Plus it's part of what led to you being investigated."

The man grumbled. "Look, don't sweat it. It's what had to happen." This had more or less been Volkner's attitude throughout the whole ordeal. Despite playing it cool, there was something different in his behavior. Withdrawing into himself, for example. It didn't sit right, but it wasn't the time to address that.

Arumi turned to him, her eyes pleading for forgiveness. "There's still you, Nor. If I had the–"

"Arumi, it's fine," he cut her off. He hated seeing her like this. "I went through a lot, sure. Maybe you could've exposed Kallisto back in April and prevented all this. I thought about that too, but I realized, you probably wouldn't have been able to back then. I'm just glad you were able to do something now, and that it worked."

He still didn't fully understand Kallisto. What led to this? He reflected on something that Arumi had told him back when he was begging her for help. Kallisto would never do anything like this. Yet he did. So he changed. Why?

Arumi lightly chuckled. "Thanks, Nor'," she said with a measure of melancholy. "I guess I knew that all along. I just wanted to hear it from someone else."

That picked her mood up a little, but not as much as it should've. There was something else, and she wasted no time in explaining.

"Well, the other thing is, I'm getting a whole lot of publicity for it. Way more than I thought I would. It's kinda overwhelming, you know?"

"Not so nice, is it?" Volkner spat with bitter humor.

Arumi laughed. "I guess so."

The man shuffled his feet. "Want...to hide out here?"

"I was just about to ask!" There, that was the Arumi they knew so well!

"You did really good on it, though!" Nori praised her. "So it's no wonder everyone wants to talk to you about it."

"Don't you start now, too," she giggled.

"I'm not, but I'm just saying, you're like an awesome investigative journalist!"

"Well, I am awesome. Even my Tweeter handle is The Awesome Arumi." She posed. "But an investigative journalist? I dunno about that."

"But it's true! It was more investigative reporting than being a simple reporter."

"When you put it like that, maybe!" She chuckled. "So what've you guys been doing since the Gym's closed?"

Nori explained. "Just the usual stuff, except without challengers. We train, we do our things. I've also getting back to my official studies." He stretched. "I've been thinking of getting out of the Gym soon to break up the monotony."

"Good idea!" she declared. "Bet you have a public waiting to see you!"

"I know a thing or two about how to handle that."

Arumi clapped him on the back. "I taught you well, my apprentice!"

"Not just you, even before that." He never spoke about this too much with anyone, not even getting a chance to bring it up to Lux or Betsy-Ann before. "Did I tell you about how I was friends with Claris Willins?"

The reporter girl gasped. "The child actress?" she asked. "No! Tell me!"

"We met in first grade. We were best friends." Nori's smile gave way to a frown. It was still difficult to think about. "Then we had a fight in fourth grade when she wanted to go on a journey with me. And well, I shouldn't have to tell you what happened there."

Arumi awkwardly fidgeted. "Uh, yeah..." How poorly Claris' journey had gone was well-documented. That was probably Nori's biggest regret. If he had been there, would any of that horrible stuff have happened?

"I learned how to handle paparazzi from her parents. It was helpful for when Claris was too nice to them." How different she was today. "Worst case, I just yelled at them until they left us alone."

"What about the Schraders?" his friend asked.

"What about them?" he asked back.

Arumi laughed. "You really do treat everyone the same."

"How they deserve to be treated. A jerk is a jerk, even if they're super popular and from a famous family. As Kallisto showed." Someone's station didn't excuse them from anything, and some could argue they deserved even more scrutiny. "So want to do anything, or just hang out? If you want to train your Pokemon, we have a great workout room!"

"Maybe! But do you have TV here?"

"Yup. It's upstairs." He gave Volkner a side-glance, remembering he needed to ask permission first. "Um, it's okay if she–"

"Sure, whatever." The Gym Leader waved it off.

Arumi clapped. "All right! Don't want to watch the news, though. Get enough of that being part of it."

Nori snickered. That made too much sense. So what sort of TV did a person whose family worked in the media like? He was going to find out.

##########​

July 9th, 2015

The next day, Nori felt comfortable going for a walk. There were still going to be doubters, yet he believed things would have settled down enough so that he could be out in public without incident.

He had been keeping his ear trained to the news. Opinion of Kallisto was shifting. No one knew what to think about it. One particular program had interviewed people in the street. Many couldn't answer, or talked in circles. A fair number of individuals still supported Kallisto, be it from blind faith or thinking he had made a mistake. But all agreed that he was in the wrong. And on a personal note, he had somehow gotten Billy Ordride fired again. He was actually able to laugh about that one; he had taken a job as a security officer near the observatory, and failed to do his job. The one time Nori would've been glad to see him, he wasn't there. Typical.

As Nori had anticipated, people treated him far better. Most kept their distance in shame, but more than one person came up to personally apologize. However, as he was passing near WyldSyde Sports, he caught sight of someone he'd rather not have. Worse yet, that person caught sight of him, and quickly came skating up.

"Eddie!"

A group of bird Pokemon scattered both at Nori's furious shout and how Pachi raced out in front ready for a confrontation. Nori briefly took note of how there was a brown pigeon and white bird wearing a cap mixed among the Wingulls and Starlys. The Pidgey and Quaxly flew back to their trainer who had been feeding them, perching on each shoulder; they'd drawn the attention of every pedestrian and even some of the wild Pokemon in the vicinity, all tensely waiting to see what would happen.

The dark-skinned teenager's response was to burst into laughter. "Chill, kid," he said, waving his arm. "I ain't doing anything."

"Are too! Why are you just coming up like nothing happened?!" That couldn't be good, no matter what! "How can I be chill at you after everything you've done!? Why are you not in jail?"

Eddie sighed in exasperation. "All right, look," he said. "Know it's just my word against your crazy-ass imagination. But none of us were okay with this. Don't even know how the cops blamed you about it." He thought. "Wasn't me, at least."

Nori glared. "So why didn't you stop him?!"

"Say that like we could've."

"You..." he started out, before actually taking a second to think about it. "You have a point, I guess..." Nori was forced to admit. Kallisto had done a lot, and even if they'd tried to talk him out of it, he evidently didn't budge.

With the situation defused, most of the onlookers started to disperse. The rest of them left when Nori glared at them and waved an arm.

"So...what happened? What did you do?" he asked, cringing as Pachi climbed up onto his shoulder. It was hard to get used to that.

"After your little stunt, they investigated us further," Eddie explained. "The other two weren't taking it well. They caught the tub 'o goo taking it out on some kid's Pokemon in battle. Got put on the blacklist for six months."

So Ollie sort of got his. From lashing out at others like a stupid moron. Nori heavily sighed. Maybe he was full of himself, but given how he came to be a bully, it felt more tragic than anything. At least he'd get another chance.

"And Tono? Fuckin' dumbass got arrested. They found his glory book with all his hacking exploits in them. Not looking good for him, even with his rich-ass parents."

So he did hack that thing after all! Nori could only shake his head. Sure, Tono was all right when he wanted to be, even all but outright saying he didn't approve of everything Kallisto was doing. But he didn't stop him. Maybe he couldn't, either. He could be in jail for up to three years, and get up to a million P fine! Maybe more if they charge him individually!

"I got off light. Worst I did was badmouth challengers and be complicit, but they understood my reasons. Told'em what I could, and I think that's why I got off with just being fired."

He snitched?! Nori was about to say something about that, yet he didn't. The sea dog's words echoed in his mind. Maybe Eddie cooperating and being honest was the only reason Kallisto didn't win. He was the one to ultimately decided to stand up. Better late than never.

"And Kallisto?" Nori demanded. "He better have gotten arrested and blacklisted forever."

"Haha, no." Nori winced as Eddie bitterly waved a hand. "He always made sure to cover his ass and walk the line. Still has his fans and supporters, some in high places. Think he had some strings pulled, but just me guessing."

Nori curled his lip. It felt like he was going to burn up, but it may have been the sun bearing down on him. "So he got away with everything besides making a few of his fans turn on him."

Eddie shrugged. "Nah, it's a scandal," he seemed delighted to say. "You and that reporter chick opened a lot of eyes. But knowing him, he'll recover from this and be back on his feet eventually. Don't mean that literally, of course. He ain't walking again. You seen him?"

Of course they'd forgive him. Nori didn't doubt that. But the other part of Eddie's words intrigued him. "No."

"He's in a body cast. Quadriplegic."

And with this, Nori blinked. He even smiled a little. Even if he made a full recovery in the eyes of the public, he wasn't going to recover from his injuries. Karma had gotten to him after all. In a way he could never get out of.

"But y'know something?" the former Gym trainer said to him. "I take it all back. You're real stuff. Didn't see that one coming. Wish I had the guts to stand up to him like that." And with this, he stuck a hand out. "You're all right, man. Nah, Nori," he called him by name. "We cool?"

"I...guess so." Nori reached out, fingers shaking, and tentatively accepted it. This time, there was no trick. Eddie gave a firm shake, not attempting to crush his hand into paste.

"Stupid you think that."

"What?" It was fortunate for Eddie he let go as he said that, otherwise Nori might've been the one to put a deathgrip on him.

"Only got to this point 'cause you were unforgivin', now you are?"

Nori took a deep breath. It was an honest question. He calmly explained. "I can be. The difference is that you mean it. Kallisto never did. When he apologized, it was always for himself. You didn't have to do that just now. Same reason as Volkner, he tried and made an effort." He glanced away, in the relative direction of the Gym. "That doesn't mean I'll forget what happened, though."

There were some things that were simply unforgivable. But Nori thought in this case, given the situation Eddie was in, he could understand. Moreso if he worked to better himself. To him at least, you had to at least try to earn forgiveness.

Eddie nodded. "Yeah, get ya when you put it like that." With this, he put his skateboard on the ground. "Keep at it, man. Know you'll be one of the best someday."

Nori relaxed, cognitively aware he was giving a genuine smile. Eddie turned to leave, yet the boy called out to him. "So what are you going to do?"

Eddie twisted around. "Mm, after this year of school, might go on a journey. Always wanted to as a kid, folks didn't want me to. Should be cool with it now."

"I see. That could work."

"Bet it will. Might even get to battle you at the Gym again, if you're still there."

Nori grinned and nodded. Even Pachi jumped off and got into a battle-ready pose. A rematch with Eddie. This time not as enemies, but as one Pokemon Trainer to another.

"See ya 'round." Eddie was about to skate off, when he added one more thing. "Oh, and should probably know. Think you got an enemy for life now."

The boy shrugged. "Wouldn't be the first."

"Don't doubt that." Eddie got in one final jab before leaving for good.

Nori took it in stride. It was a fair assessment, anyway. He had a feeling he was going to cross paths with the former Gym Trainers of Sunyshore again someday. How long that would take and how the meetings would go remained to be seen.

He sat down on a nearby bench as the dark-skinned teen took his leave. That...was an unexpected conversation. Not an unpleasant one, though. Eddie could be lying, sure, but what would that get him? Maybe he was a bit of a jerk, but he was good deep down. And maybe he wasn't riding Kallisto coattails, so much as also being trapped under his thumb.

He had an enemy for life. He hated Kallisto, but did Kallisto hate him just as much despite what he said? No, no, he must've. Why else would he denounce him? That means, he must've been right. The race was a way for Kallisto to right a wrong in his eyes. The wrong of losing.

The boy found himself smiling. It must've stunned him that he just walked away. And it might've led directly to Kallisto falling. Come to think of it, denying him the chance to redeem himself in the race was the cruelest thing he could've done. It just ended up far worse than he expected. Kallisto was alive, but permanently crippled. He demanded the race, that happened to him, and he fought off his attempts to blame him - and indeed, it was no one's fault but Kallisto's own. And he was going to have to live with it for the rest of his life.

Nori laughed. It felt a little strange having no remorse, but not enough to bother him given all Kallisto had done to him. He had a feeling this happened because he talked to Arumi about it and walked away. In a roundabout way, he'd gotten revenge after all. And it was as sweet as they say.

---​

When Nori got back to the Gym after a couple hours, he went to find Volkner to tell him about the conversation. The Gym Leader was under the hood of his convertible.

"So I ran into Eddie," he started.

"And?"

"It...went surprisingly okay." The boy ruffled his hair. "He told me what some of the things that happened with the others. I think he respects me now."

"Hm."

"But he implied he hated some of the things he did to me."

"I see." The man had yet to look up.

Nori tilted his head. "Aren't you interested?"

"Just don't care."

"Oh."

Volkner grabbed a wrench from the table. Contrary to his stated disinterest, he addressed the matter. "Kallisto always had trouble accepting responsibility for his actions."

Nori thought about this. The more he did, the more it made sense. He never apologized for the attack, he was half-hearted about the water gun prank. He ran away instead of helping him as he was drowning. He publicly denounced him and acted like it was his fault. He didn't say much when apologizing, blaming the public for the most part. And he did accept sole responsibility for what he did to Betsy-Ann, so there was a bit of improvement. Yet he was ready to let him hurt or kill himself in the race after passive-aggressively urging him into it. And when he got hurt, him or one of his friends tried to blame him.

"Edward never liked that," Volkner elaborated. "Only brought it up a couple times."

"He said he couldn't do anything."

"Doesn't matter anymore."

"I guess you're right."

Kallisto was out of their lives for the time being. Not only was he free to move forward without him, but the Gym Trainers were as well. For better or worse.

And right now, they had more pressing concerns. Such as what was going to happen to the Gym. What would happen to Volkner? And if the worst happened, what would become of his training to become an official?

##########​

July 11th, 2015

It was Nori Carino's thirteenth birthday on July 11th. When Claris Willins was still his friend, his birthdays were always respectable celebrations, even those times it was only visiting her home. After he drove her away, they were often quiet ones at home - particularly since it fell during summer vacation. He had been unsure what to expect out of the day, and the Gym Trainers being out of the picture only dismissed the negative possibilities.

As had been usual for the month, the Gym was quiet with only a skeleton crew on-hand. Nevertheless, as he went downstairs with his Pokemon, everyone he passed by wished him well.

He eventually went into the arena, where he found the Gym Leader. "Good morning, Volkner."

"Happy birthday, Nori," the man said, looking up from his magazine. He had evidently been waiting for him, as he had a large bag on a table that had been set up. "Here, presents for you."

"Huh, okay." He was not expecting to get anything but well wishes.

The first thing the man retrieved was a compact disc. "An Iron Tail TM. It'll help your Pachirisu." The man scratched his cheek and personally addressed the squirrel. "Pachi, sorry."

"Oh, cool. Thanks. That'll give us more options in battles." The little squirrel squeaked in agreement, tailing thrashing in anticipation. He was tugging at Nori's leg, probably eager to learn it and start practicing. That would have to wait, however.

The next thing Volkner pulled out was two pairs of pants and three shirts. "And here's a couple sets of clothes. A Sunyshore Gym shirt too. Larger, but you'll grow into them."

Nori smiled as Volkner held them out to see, one-by-one. Some kids hated getting clothes, but he appreciated their practicality. The first set was simple dark green jeans and a lime green t-shirt. The other was an orange and white shirt and brown cargo pants - much like Volkner's casual attire. The Gym shirt had a thunderbolt pattern and a white section near the middle. On it was an illustration of the Gym and its solar panels, with a sun beaming down behind it.

"This one's from the staff," Volkner said, placing the clothes back in the bag and pulling out a small gray box with an antenna. "Pooled some of their money together to buy you a portable radio."

"Ooo." He picked it up and looked it over after Volkner placed it on the table. It even seemed like it'd fit snug in a bag. "Awesome! I'll have to tell them all thanks! Tell everyone I can't thanks, too!"

"Takes batteries, but you can plug it into an outlet. Can listen to it anywhere," explained the man. Nori could see that, from the plug and latch at the back.

"Finally..." The man went over to the stands. He pulled out a brown cardboard box. Thin and rectangular, and seemed slightly heavy. The man handed it directly to him. "...laptop computer. From me."

"Wait, what?!" Was he kidding?! Nori gave the box a look. It was labeled NECSUS. He put it down on the table in disbelief. "A computer?! But that's really expensive, isn't it?"

"It's nothing. Don't mind," he coolly brushed it off. "You'll need one for your job, too. Set everything up."

"I...don't know what to say. Not even Claris spent this much on me before." He sniffed, successfully suppressing his tears. "But thank you so much!"

"Don't sweat it," came the reply. He turned away, trying to hide his satisfied smile. "Anything you want for dinner?"

"Like, a birthday dinner?"

A nod. "Yeah."

"Haven't thought of anything. When I had birthdays with my former friend Claris, I just had whatever she came up with for me." And at home, they were meals as usual, whatever they could afford. "What would you recommend?"

"Chicken fine?" the man suggested.

"As long as it's boneless." He hated boned chicken. It was messy, hard to eat all of it, and felt like such a waste to be throwing the bones away.

"Noted. I'll pick it up when I can."

A woman walked in from the right hall. Mrs. Stetcher. "Mail call," she said. "Got a bunch of birthday cards for you."

She handed him a moderately-sized stack of letters. Way more than he was expecting to get. The elderly receptionist was still clutching one more thing, however.

"And here's a book. Know you like those crime shows, so I got you a novel."

It was labeled Death on the Mississippi. Seemed to be a mystery. "Thanks, Mrs. Stetcher," Nori said with a light bow.

"You're a good one. One of the best I've seen here." She nodded to Volkner before heading back to her station.

"Doesn't just say that about anyone," Volkner quipped.

"Really?"

The man nodded. "She's seen it all. Hard to earn her respect, let alone like that." The man sat back down with his magazine. "Take the day off from training."

"I dunno, I kinda want to be productive today." He looked over at Pachi, who was already practicing whipping his tail at the pillars, both by spinning and with backflips. It seemed he wasn't alone in that, either.

The Gym Leader snickered. "Workaholic like me. All right, go use the TM and we'll start with that."

Nori nodded. Hopefully with Volkner's help, it'd go a lot smoother than Shock Wave with the Demon. While he still didn't foresee himself becoming a full-time trainer, knowing this stuff would come in handy for the inevitable battles his Pokemon would want to have.

---​

After a day of training and getting to know his way around his new computer (with a lot of help from Volkner), Nori settled in after dinner to take a look at the rest of his presents. The radio worked perfect. Wouldn't be much use if he went back home given the trailer had one built-in, but it'd be great on the go. The clothes fit well, but Volkner told him to wash them before wearing. Which he would, tomorrow.

He received a total of nine birthday cards, including Volkner's. The Gym Leader's and Arumi's were generic, store-bought ones with simple wishes at the bottom, albeit exploding with each of their personalities. There was one from the Gym staff as a whole well; just about everyone from Coach Norling to Mr. Kubo had signed it. Nori was surprised. He'd thought many would refuse to sign it based on Kallisto-related resentment, but only a few names were absent.

Another came from Jamie and Kelsey - surprisingly basic, nothing love-like from the former or anything. They said Arty and Marie also wished him well, even if they couldn't sign for obvious reasons. More importantly, Betsy-Ann had sent him one. Another storebought one, although an amusing card featuring a cartoony Charmander about to breathe out the candles on a cake, except it seemed like fire might come out instead.

There was something more personal within. A short message from the medic.

Howdy Nori! Happy 13th! You're legal now! Congrats and thanks on taking care of Kallisto. I've been doing well. Working with a Joy and learning a bit of Pokemon medicine on the side. Know it ain't much, but here's a little something to make your day that much better.

From your friend, Betsy-Ann Jostein

Within the card was 5000P and a commemorative photo of her and what he assumed were some coworkers in front of the Sandgem Town Medical Center, which included its address. It was nice to hear she was doing okay. Legal, though? He didn't anticipate that anytime soon.

He looked to the next one. It was from Tono of all people. Why the hell was he sending him a birthday card? He tore it open and gave it a look. Handcrafted, just like his.

Happy birthday, Nori Carino. I felt compelled to return the favor for your card. I will not hold what you did against you. I feel responsible as well for not being able to talk Kallisto out of it. Still, fuck you. I hope you have a good day.

With regards, Tono Takuma
P.S. I did not hack the Gym's circuit breaker, you ass.

A middle finger was drawn at the end of the P.S. That was...something. A little all over the place. With that, he wasn't sure how to feel about Tono. Maybe he didn't have the courage - or the heart - to stand up to his best friend, just like Eddie. And it cost him everything. He was insisting he didn't cause that power outage, though. So, maybe Kallisto himself? It wouldn't surprise Nori, given he could do anything.

There were three left. One came from his mom. Nori dreaded opening it. He hadn't been able to contact her at all, so the first she heard of all his woes may have been on the news. There was no sense in putting it off any further, however. He opened it and decided to get it over with.

It was written on a folded sheet of lined paper. She didn't put much effort into decorating it. To the boy's relief, the message within was brief. It was a generic birthday wish, making only a brief allusion to the Kallisto situation. He thought for sure he was in for a harsh scolding! More importantly, there was a return address. He could write to his mom now! There was a lot he wanted to say.

Two left. Curiously, there was a letter from Prema. She'd taken the time to write a birthday card to him, when he'd only offhandedly mentioned it to her? And she considered him enough of a friend to do such a thing? He couldn't wait to find out what she'd written.

Hello, Nori.

I apologize if the formatting of this is unusual. This is the first birthday card I have written. Congratulations on your turning thirteen years of age. I am relieved that your problems with Kallisto have been resolved, so that you can have a relaxing birthday today.

Signed, Prema Kannagi

That was a bit strange. He had to say, he'd never gotten a birthday card quite like that one before. But he liked it.

Finally, he came to the last one. The name leaped off the envelope at Nori. He wanted to open it right away, but decided it was best to save it for last. A letter from Lux Blomgren. Lux. Someone he still considered to be his closest friend he'd met in Sunyshore City. Someone still very dear to his heart. Someone he had as many regrets about as Claris Willins. He took a deep breath, gripping his letter opener. He sliced the envelope open and took the paper within out to read.

Dear Nori,

It's been a while, hasn't it? I know I've probably worried you sick. Sorry for being the worst friend ever and not sending you this earlier. I think about you every day, and I'm really happy to know you think about me, too.

My mom told me we were moving in late February, right out of the blue. I think it might have had something to do with me running away from school. She wouldn't let me go back for tests, so I took them at home. This is all my fault. We're in a border town between Sinnoh and Almia called Amui Town - for now, anyway. I wish I could still be with you. You're way too good for me, but still. I never realized how much I would miss you until you were gone. Things have been bad in the new neighborhood. Everyone's much older or much younger than me. And school's even worse. There's so many bullies who hate me because I'm a big town kid. Mom's tried to step in, but that only made it worse.

I've heard what's been happening with Kallisto Keravnos. I had no idea you were willing to throw away your reputation to do what you wanted. I wish I could've supported you through it. But I'm really happy you're okay and managed to expose him for who he really is. You're incredible.

Oh, and did you hear? Crime by Starlight is getting a spinoff, and it's going to cover Tybalt's life after he left the force! It'll be airing early next year. I can't wait for it. I don't know about you, but he was one of my favorite characters. There's even rumors they're going to officially confirm it's set in the same universe as Spirit of Police, since Truman and Cass's actors are on the voice cast list.

Well, there's so much I want to say to you, some of which I only want to say if we meet again. But for now: happy birthday. To my one and only friend. I hope this reaches you. My address should be on the letter if you want to write back, as long as mom doesn't find a way to tamper with it. I don't know how long I'll be here. Mom's had job offerings from Jubilife and Pueltown. So write back if you can, let me know if you can't.

Yours truly, Lux Blomgren

The boy blinked and gave the signature a second look. The wording and some of the things he said was enough, but he could clearly see his friend had erased the word 'love' and written 'yours truly' over it. Lux was in love with him? Nori thought back. All the things he'd said. All the hugs. Especially that one hug, with their bodies pressed against each other. It did make sense, but Nori didn't think it was actually the case. The boy sat down on his bed, laying back. Lux and him...

Nori never thought other boys were attractive. But Lux? If he came to him and told him how he felt, he was honestly unsure how he would've reacted. Thinking about it, he didn't find it unappealing. Being with Lux...didn't sound too bad, although he was still uncertain about it. Lux was still a boy. A cute feminine boy, who was very much like a girl in many ways. Maybe that would've helped? And he could maybe see himself doing more than just hugging Lux. What would it have been like to kiss Lux...?

There was no sense thinking about it at this point, however. And there was no way to know for sure what he would've said or did in the moment had it happened. And as he knew from his experiences with Claris, one moment of indiscretion could change everything. At least he could write to Lux now. He'd just have to think about what to say, and hope his mom didn't intercept the letters.

There was however one thing he was sure about. He was in a weird way glad things happened they way they did. How close was Lux to telling him? Given what happened with Jamie, he had no doubt Kallisto would've done something if he started actually went out with Lux. And he wouldn't have wanted his friend getting caught up in that. Lux wouldn't have been able to handle it.

Still, that reminded him. There was someone else who had feelings for him, a person who might be waiting for him back in Veilstone. Someone who gave him a kiss before he left. Someone who hadn't sent him a card, but he could understand the reason why. Nori hoped everything was fine with Maylene. At least he'd be able to find out what happened there. All he could do about Lux was cross his fingers.

He knew the path to get there wasn't going to be easy. There was still lots of training to do, the rest of it might not even be with Volkner, and well. If there was one thing Kallisto was right about, he was going to have detractors just because of who he was and how he acted. But he would accept that as part of staying himself, ready to face any challenge that came his way.

######
=====
######

I had one more thing to say here, but I'll save it for after.

And yes, that was Quaxly. Wonder if I'm the first to feature it? I like doing things like this in fics; in old works I featured Sylveon before its relation to Eevee was revealed (burnt so bad to make up for it was a colorless sketch) and of course there was H-Arcanine before its design was revealed. :p I'm probably picking it unless its evo is bad.

Back
Top Bottom