• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MATURE: Nori Carino: Official In-Training [COMPLETE!!]

*You know I forgot that Electrode can learn Teleport in Gen 1 (and, it seems, in Let's Go)
*Breaking and entering while using the Power Words of "I'm a reporter".
*Ah, I remember the Schrader family from Premma's interview.
*Pachirisu is still number #1.
*Got a feeling Eddie's right and this interview ain't gonna go his way.
*Well, it didn't go badly how I'd suspect; instead of twisting everything to look bad she just read off a script that doesn't even apply. Though the former could still happen, too.
*Okay, I guess she's just over enthusiastic and inexperienced. I'll grant the benefit of the doubt for now.
*Getting into a Pokémon battle with a foreman over his crew not working enough feels so much like a subquest you would see in the games.
*Well, good to see Nori is recovering from Lux's family moving away.

It feels like a breather chapter, but one that was needed.

Yay, a chapter where Nori actually gets a break for once! Gotta say, I really liked this one. Normally I tend to hate characters like Arumi (One example of such a character being Miyo Masuko from Happiness Charge Pretty Cure, who is much more obnoxious and annoying), but considering how much I hate everyone at Sunyshore Gym, her cheerfulness and exaggerated attempts at being a cool reporter were a breath of fresh air. I hope she and Nori become friends, as he could really use one. I also like that Nori managed to win against a trainer for once as well, especially with the strategy he used against Rick. Not sure when the worker people were originally introduced (Did they appear earlier? Or is this their first appearance?), but I certainly hope to see more of Rick as well. Nori could also really use a stable adult that isn't a mean-spirited jackass in his corner. But one thing does stick out to me: You had Nori, a 12-year-old, almost get creeped on by a teenaged girl in a trailer park? That's...disconcerting. Glad nothing happened to Nori, and good on him for managing to escape, but...can I ask what made you decide to put that in? Just curious is all. Anyway, this was a great chapter, and I really hope to see more of Arumi and Rick. Good job!

*You know I forgot that Electrode can learn Teleport in Gen 1 (and, it seems, in Let's Go)
To talk about this a bit, because the way it came about was pretty amazing. I was trying to figure out how Kallisto could make at least a possible cover story about how Nori's arm was broken. I decided they should bring him in from outside since falling and knocking yourself unconscious on a floor was too much of a stretch even for him, but because of the receptionists, they couldn't stage that as I intended. So I figured, why not a teleport? I looked up the list, and although Psychic types didn't fit any of them, I did see some Electric types that could. I gave the nod to Ollie (Electrode) over Eddie (Magneton), both to give him more involvement, and because Eddie's there was to protest the assault.

The other came from a remark from someone here, I forget who, saying that it's hard to write Voltorb in an interesting way in battle. Although this was brief and summed up because I didn't want to spend too much time on the battle, it was more or less a "hold my beer" moment.

*Breaking and entering while using the Power Words of "I'm a reporter".
The classic.

*Ah, I remember the Schrader family from Premma's interview.
One of them was in Training a Demon, too! As Prema's Interview says, they're more or less like Joys or Jennys, just without a homogenized appearance. Mind, if I was thinking further ahead when making the original Nori fic which also features a Schrader, I would've had their name start with J too.

*Pachirisu is still number #1.
The cutest and most badass little squirrel.

*Got a feeling Eddie's right and this interview ain't gonna go his way.
*Well, it didn't go badly how I'd suspect; instead of twisting everything to look bad she just read off a script that doesn't even apply. Though the former could still happen, too.
*Okay, I guess she's just over enthusiastic and inexperienced. I'll grant the benefit of the doubt for now.
Speaking of the interview, that script is in fact those exact same questions that were asked in Trainers of Fanfiction, where Prema's interview came from - it was the exact list of questions given (and she was asked a few of those herself). As for your other theories and thought...you'll have to wait to find out!

*Getting into a Pokémon battle with a foreman over his crew not working enough feels so much like a subquest you would see in the games.
Now that I think about it, it sort of does. Heh.

It feels like a breather chapter, but one that was needed.
Yeah, and just remember:

Yay, a chapter where Nori actually gets a break for once!
...like Nori himself even said. What day the first of April is.

Normally I tend to hate characters like Arumi (One example of such a character being Miyo Masuko from Happiness Charge Pretty Cure, who is much more obnoxious and annoying), but considering how much I hate everyone at Sunyshore Gym, her cheerfulness and exaggerated attempts at being a cool reporter were a breath of fresh air.
Arumi is fantastically fun to write, too - a stark contrast to the entire rest of the cast, barring Nori at his most cheerful (which isn't a lot lately). Part of what I did was giving her an actual motivation to want to be a reporter. And yes, she is very much intended to stand out against everyone else!

I also like that Nori managed to win against a trainer for once as well, especially with the strategy he used against Rick. Not sure when the worker people were originally introduced (Did they appear earlier? Or is this their first appearance?), but I certainly hope to see more of Rick as well. Nori could also really use a stable adult that isn't a mean-spirited jackass in his corner.
The worker people have been around, mostly at the end of each month where Nori yelled at them briefly. Rick just hadn't gotten a name until now. And him a stable adult that isn't a mean-spirited jackass? Well I guess he is stable, at least. I can say right now, don't count on seeing him in anything but a cameo again. Arumi though, yes - look forward to more of her.

But one thing does stick out to me: You had Nori, a 12-year-old, almost get creeped on by a teenaged girl in a trailer park? That's...disconcerting. Glad nothing happened to Nori, and good on him for managing to escape, but...can I ask what made you decide to put that in? Just curious is all.
A lot of reasons. It shows that Nori isn't the type of guy to get with any girl...right now. It's also a point to show there's lots of creeps out there, guys and girls alike. And setting the stage another slightly spoilerish reason.

Aside, the teenage girl in question was actually mentioned at the end of Training a Demon.

Month 4: April of Change (first part)
Month 4: April of Change (first part)​
April 1st, 2015

It was the morning of the new month, and for the Gym Trainers of Sunyshore, that meant heading back after two days off. On most days, Kallisto Keravnos would get in his convertible and pick up his best friend Tono Takuma before heading to school or the Gym. Eddie would skate over or take the bus depending on the weather, and Ollie's parents would drop him off. At the end of the day, they'd all head back the same way they came, with the exception that sometimes he would drive Eddie home.

Per Eddie's request last night, they had gotten an earlier than usual start today to gather in the Hankstein residence's garage. It was the usual spot when they wanted to talk in private outside the Gym. His apartment didn't work well, Tono's parents were uptight, and Ollie lived out of the way.

"So what do you think?" Eddie asked. They were standing over a large white box on a work bench, the contents of which were astonishing.

Two of them made their opinion on it clear through their expressions. Tono was impressed, and he was not often impressed. More surprising was Ollie's warm silence and grin, instead of raving excitedly. Kallisto wished he could share in his friends' sentiment.

"I think this is cruel and immature, Hankstein," he stated.

Eddie snorted in reply. "A lot coming from the guy who punched that kid out and broke his arm," he remarked. He was the type of person who'd air his grievances. He reminded him of Nori in that regard, only he wouldn't do it over every little thing and was willing to hear the other side out.

"Like I said, that was an accident and getting caught up in the moment. If I could take it back, I would." There was a distinct difference between what he did this time last month and what Eddie wanted to do. "This is you premeditating something cruel."

"Come on, man. It's April Fools. Just a harmless prank."

"Yeah, man!" Ollie spoke. "Didn't you say he's gotta face this?"

Kallisto closed his eyes. Just because a prank seems harmless to you doesn't mean it won't be harmless to the victim. You could traumatize them. You might even accidentally hurt them. Case in point, Eddie's ‘trash talk’ as he called it, had discouraged at least two challengers into quitting Pokemon Training entirely, and a few more into giving up the Gym challenge.

"I don't think this is going to help," he replied to Ollie. To the group as a whole, he stated, "If you're set on this, I won't stop you. But I don't want to be involved." Eddie probably put monetary investment into this. He didn't want it going completely to waste.

"Understandable," Tono acknowledged.

"What about you?" he asked his best friend. He suspected a yes, but was wondering why he would go through with this. It was so out-of-character for Tono to stoop to this level.

"I will be in on this. Call it petty, but it is one of the few chances I have at taking that fool down a peg." Yes, the answer he expected, even part of the reason. "His attitude towards us, you in particular my friend, only makes this easier." It was about defending their honor? He could get that. "And given what day it is, I believe punishment is not something to be concerned of."

That was not what Kallisto was concerned about. He was wondering how Nori would handle it. Probably not well, he thought. They'd already made things really bad with him. Was it necessary to make things worse?

"All right," he relented. "Just be careful, and know what you're getting into."

"You worry too much," Eddie dismissed. "Know you're lookin' out for us, but ain't gonna be a problem."

"I wonder..." Kallisto said under his breath. No one heard him. He was hoping he'd be wrong about it, but was ready in case he wasn't.

"Let's get going! Don't wanna be late, after all!" Ollie said as he bounded towards the convertible. "Shotgun!" There was no going back now, in any case. Tono shook his head and calmly went to get inside.

Eddie closed the box and heaved it onto his shoulder. Kallisto followed and opened the trunk for him, where it just barely fit. With a chuckle, his friend shut the lid.

"Lock n load, boys. We ride."

---​

Nori couldn't recall what he was doing at the time or what he was thinking of. All he remembered was heading downstairs for the day when he was ambushed.

"Surprise, kid!"

He heard Eddie's voice, and felt three streams of water being shot at him from all directions. The boy screamed in terror, missing the next step down. He was able to regain his balance momentarily before the water hit his face. His right arm went up to block it on instinct, and that's when he fell. Mercifully, he only had four steps left, so it wasn't much of a fall.

"Hahahaha! Gotcha, bitch!" The water stopped, and he heard Ollie's shrill voice.

"Stay hydrated, fool." And Tono.

"What the hell?!" He was trying to stand, when he was blasted again in the face. He fell right back down. "Ahhh!!"

"Drink your water!" Eddie berated, mercilessly blasting at him as the other streams came at him from above. He laughed menacingly.

"Stop! Stop it!" he begged. "I'm warning you!"

They did not stop. He was down on all fours, covering up. Then he saw someone's shoes. He lurched upward with his left arm, driving the cast directly between their legs.

Two things happened after he did this. The person dropped the water blaster; it clattered to the ground with a loud bang. This was comparatively like a pin dropping compared to the scream, however. It was rough, ear-piercing, and right next to Nori.

"Hey!"

He barely heard Kallisto and the arena door swinging open. The person fell, and suddenly they were face to face. It was Eddie, who was lethally glaring at him while straining in pain.

"You...shit!" he coughed. "You...fuckin' little shi–!"

Nori cut this off with a solid right jab to the eye. Before he could do more, someone interposed.

"Break it up!"

Kallisto stood firm, letting Eddie crawl back. The head Gym Trainer glanced and made a waving motion, as Nori scrambled to his feet.

"Shut up!"

"Stop! Now!"

"Hypocrite!"

He swung for Kallisto next, only for his arm to be easily caught. He went for a kick, but Kallisto forcefully shoved him away.

"Enough," he ordered. Nori was finally able to take stock of the situation. Eddie was down on the ground writhing in pain. Tono and Ollie were on the stairwell, looking down in horror. They must've been ready to ambush him from behind; the latter was even still holding his water blaster. Kallisto didn't have one, but Nori felt him just as guilty.

"Get Volkner, you two," the head Gym Trainer commanded, and the two didn't have to be told twice. They ran past the security guards, who were just watching.

"Seriously!?" was all Nori could say.

"You're overreacting. Two wrongs don't make a right."

"You knew! You didn't stop him!"

"I should've." Kallisto eyed the drenched boy. After a moment's thought, he took his shirt off and threw it to Nori. He noted Kallisto was extremely well-toned, downright muscular. Of course he would be. "Dry off your cast with this."

Begrudgingly, he did so. The last thing he needed was for his cast to be ruined so close to getting it off. He whipped the shirt at Eddie after he was done.

---​

Nori was taken to a storage room and made to sit alone in it. It was stupid, he thought. What did they think this was, the timeout room? He was just surprised they didn't make him sit in the corner. He at least had Pachirisu to keep him company. The little squirrel was actually angry when he heard what happened. He curled his stubby arms, sparks crackling from his cheeks as his tail cracked.

It took hours. There was nothing to do the whole while, and he hadn't even eaten or had anything to drink. But eventually Volkner came into the room. Nori sneered at him. The Gym Leader was unsure what to say for the longest time. He got to pacing, and finally after a full two minutes, he spoke.

"That was unacceptable."

Nori lowered his head. "I know it wasn't right."

"You can't go around hitting people. That's considered assault." It was, but they attacked him first! With water. But before that, too! Volkner paused. "I managed to get you off the hook for any charges. But you'll have to make a public apology to Edward."

The boy jumped to his feet. "That's bullshit!" he cursed. "So they're getting away with all they're doing? He, Kallisto, and all the others? I just have to sit there and take their insults? Their stupid pranks?" Wasn't there a term for that?! Verbal abuse? Volkner did not reply, expression remaining blank. "And what about my arm?" He raised his cast. "You know what Kallisto and the others did to it! That should be assault too!"

"Things are different with him."

"So you're saying it's only okay if they do it?"

"Kallisto is special."

"So he gets to get away with hurting me? He beat me down with his friends! Yet I hit one of them, and I nearly go to jail for it?"

Volkner sighed heavily. "You just have to live with it." It was a small solace that he was acknowledging the hypocrisy, but it didn't help or change anything. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry's not good enough!" he screamed.

"It's all I can give you."

##########​

April 2nd, 2015

Nori would only have to wait until the very next day to make his apology. To his annoyance, a larger than usual crowd for a non-exhibition day had gathered in the arena. Kallisto insisted it wasn't him who called them here, but he found that hard to believe. At the very least, he had to have known about it.

Volkner was not happy. At least, it wasn't just at him for once. He'd also given the Gym Trainers a dressing down for their antics, and from the sounds of it, was much less kind to them. He explained the situation to the crowd in the most bitter way possible, before letting them have the floor.

"I'm sorry," he said right away.

"For?" Eddie asked.

With a sigh, he specified. "I'm sorry for hitting you."

"For hitting who?"

"For hitting you in the balls with my cast, Eddie." May as well be specific about how, too. "I'm sorry."

The crowd murmured. Kallisto stoically nodded. Eddie however, kept pressing. "That didn't sound very sincere to me."

"Take it or leave it." This was starting to get annoying.

"Nori." Volkner glared at him. And at Eddie.

"Come on, kid," the dark-skinned teen prodded. "Why are you sorry?"

"Because you're making me," he growled. He knew full well that was the wrong thing to say, but he was saying it anyway.

"Yeah, no. Try again." He crossed his arms. "I want you to be honest here. You ain't learned a thing, have you?"

Well, yes! It was hard to be sincere about this when he didn't feel much remorse. Eddie deserved payback for what he did! Hitting him was too much, yes, but he wasn't just going to take it! What else was he supposed to do? Beg them to stop? Run off crying? Screw that!

"Fine!" he snapped. Nothing to do but do it anyway. "I'm sorry for hitting you with my cast, Eddie. It was wrong. Violence isn't the way to settle our differences. There is no reason and no excuse to hit someone. No matter what." He punctuated this by looking at Kallisto knowingly. All he could do was shamefully avert his gaze.

Eddie shook his head. "That sounded parroted."

Really?! "Well, what do you want from me?!"

He flashed a toothy grin. He walked over and rasped one simple word: "Beg."

"What the hell?"

"Get down on your knees. Grovel, and beg. Then I won't press charges against you."

Even the crowd was turning on Eddie over this. Nori looked over at Volkner. He rolled his eyes, but motioned to go through with it.

Nori hated every moment of this. He took a deep breath. He kneeled down, being careful to support himself with his right arm. "Please, Eddie. I beg you. Don't press charges against me. I'm sorry for hitting you." He dropped to his hands as well. "I don't want to go to jail or be fined or kicked out of the Gym. I want to keep going on training to be a Pokemon Rehabilitator. Please, just please, let this go. I'm sorry."

"I want tears, kid. Real ones, not crocodile ones."

Nori was seconds away from uppercutting him in the balls again. It'd be worth it. The only thing that saved him, and Eddie as well, was Volkner interrupting.

"Enough, Edward."

Eddie laughed and sighed. As Nori expected, he was trying to play him for fear. "Fine. Just one more thing."

Nori went to stand, but Eddie grabbed him by the shirt and pulled him up.

"Don't ever touch me again, kid. Got it?"

"You're t–"

"I said GOT IT?"

A sigh. "Yes."

"You better hold to it." Eddie let him go.

"And you'd better not mess with me again."

The dark-skinned teen had turned to leave, but stopped on a dime and twisted around. "Did I hear something?"

"I said, I'm paying you back. On exhibition day." Nori was shocked at himself for saying this. It got the crowd excited, murmuring about the prospect of this battle. Eddie snickered and made a throat-slashing motion. Volkner for his part was nonplussed. Tono and Ollie were speaking to each other. Finally, Nori locked eyes with Kallisto. He smiled his approval, making the boy turn away in disgust.

"If we're done with this," the Gym Leader tiredly said, now addressing the audience. "We have a challenger from Holon today. Look forward to it."

---​

Nori stayed to watch, if only to take his mind off what just happened. From what he understood, the challenger defeated Tono last week when they were out at the beach. One way to avoid being destroyed by Kallisto, Nori thought. Hearing about the region's Pokemon intrigued him, and they lived up to his expectations.

The challenger used some weird different Luxray that was orange with big fangs and armored plating on its head, back and legs, but even the normal-looking Vileplume used Psychic and the Jynx used Fire Punch. It didn't appear in this battle, but he apparently even had a fire breathing Seadra, for all the good that would serve it underwater. Apparently the tradeoff was the reverse being true, being unable to learn moves they normally should, although they maintained the same types. The challenger ultimately lost, but was invited back for a rematch, mercifully without needing to fight a Gym Trainer again first.

Later on in the day, Nori ran into the quartet in the halls. He was headed back to his room from the bathroom, only to find them standing in his path.

"What do you guys want?" he asked, half-tempted to just shove by. Kallisto was standing behind them, and the other three were all in a line in front.

"They have something to say to you," the head Gym Trainer stated, motioning to the other three.

Tono spoke first. "Nori Carino, I would like to apologize to you for participating in this buffoon's idiotic prank." Eddie sneered at the passing insult. "I got caught up in the day and my distaste for you, and went too far." He took his glasses off and looked down. "I'm ashamed I even agreed to this."

"Yeah, man," Ollie agreed. "Sorry, too. Know you're afraid of water. Should've known you'd be too freaked by it."

The two of them actually seemed genuinely remorseful? Was Nori hearing that right? The same could not be said about Eddie, who crossed his arms and bitterly turned away.

"Eddie," Kallisto firmly said.

He grumbled. "Fine. Sorry about the prank, kid."

The dark-skinned teen didn't sound sorry. But Nori supposed it was the best he was going to get. Truth be told, the apologies didn't change much. All he did was acknowledge them with a nod.

Kalllisto stepped forward. "And I have to apologize to you too, Nori. I should've stopped them ahead of time."

"Yes. You should've," Nori coldly replied. "But you didn't." To him, that meant part of Kallisto wanted the others to do this. Maybe so he could swoop in and look like the good guy.

The orange and pink haired teen frowned. "Fine. We'll leave it there."

"Changing the subject," Tono said, "I will say one thing to you. Well done with the challenge for exhibition day."

Kallisto agreed. "Yes. That is a proper way to get back at him. None of us were expecting that from you."

"Me neither." He still couldn't believe he said that. Maybe their battle love was rubbing off on him a little. Or maybe he was getting it from his Pokemon.

Eddie snickered. "Well, I ain't goin' easy on you. Still want payback myself, and as they say, it's a bitch." He motioned with his fingers, raising all five and lowering them one at a time. "Count the days, kid, 'cause you're losin' not just the battle, but your career too."

Wait, that was right. Volkner said he had until April 20th to shape up in battles. Exhibition day. Did he just volunteer his opponent? Well, it was fine by him. He hated Eddie almost as much as he hated Kallisto, but he'd beaten Eddie before and could do it again. Hopefully.

"Anyway, all we wanted to say." With these words from Kallisto, the four let him be and got on their way. Nori leaned against the wall, considering this.

One indisputable bit of good news, he knew what he would be up against on the 20th. That meant he could prepare for it. Eddie would be too, so he had to start getting ready now. Changing his mind, he went to the training room to do just that.

##########​

April 3rd, 2015

School was fast approaching, and Nori was more than ever looking forward to it. He always enjoyed going to get a chance to learn for his future, but it had become something of an escape from the Gym Trainers for him ever since moving to Sunyshore. Sure, Eddie was going to be attending the same school, but he could just avoid and ignore him.

The boy was in the medical room, waiting on a checkup to his arm. Pachirisu was out, curiously exploring. He'd been on and off with the little electric squirrel, but pondered having him out at all times. Especially with what the Gym Trainers had been doing.

Lux was still on Nori's mind. Maybe he would be at the same school too? Maybe, just maybe, he would get to see his friend again? No, no, that was wishful thinking. They probably moved out of Sunyshore, maybe out of the region entirely. He sighed. He still missed his friend. Missed talking to him, missed hanging out, missed listening to Crime by Starlight with him, even missed hugging him. Maybe that was natural. How would things have gone if Lux's parents didn't move him away?

A random thought occurred. What if things between them went beyond hugging? He dismissed this as fast as he thought of it. They weren't interested in each other like that, they both made that clear. But, it would be funny. Kallisto only said he couldn't get a girlfriend, he didn't say anything about a boyfriend. Or better yet, what if he got a girlfriend anyway? What would they do about it?

"Howdy!" Betsy-Ann greeted as she entered the room, holding a clipboard under her arm. "Good job bein' the bigger man yesterday."

"Thanks, I guess." The timing with her entering on that thought. But Betsy-Ann was much older than him, like 17 or 18. It wasn't happening.

"That there Eddie ain't got no home trainin', that's for sure." What he liked most about Betsy-Ann was that she wasn't afraid to give biting remarks to those who deserved it. She wouldn't even spare Kallisto, although never said any of it to their faces.

"That's putting it lightly," Nori replied. "How've you been?"

She shrugged. "Jus' normal, ya know?" He wasn't sure how her normal was, but it didn't sound ideal. "How ya holdin' up?"

"Okay. Just been studying my Official's work."

"Speakin'a which, ya gave me some work a couple days ago." She shook her head in disgust. "Coulda gone without seein' that swollen Ekans'a his, though."

"I'm sorry."

"It's alright, least ya couldn'ta licked a more unsavory guy."

The boy laughed. "Glad someone agrees."

Over the next several minutes, the apprentice medic gave him a quick physical. She checked on the condition of the cast, put her finger inside it, and had Nori swing his arm and wiggle his fingers.

"Ain't too much longer," she said. "Prolly good now, but we'll leave it on a week till the coach gets back."

"Woo!" Nori cheered, Pachirisu miming his vocalization. "And it's fine. I've had the cast for over a month now, what's one more week?"

"It's that an' I'd rather the coach be here. Have about as much confidence in doin' this alone as I do a wolf behavin' in the hencoop."

"It's best we wait because of that." They used a saw to remove casts. If she wasn't sure about using it, it was better for both of them to wait. Wouldn't want to get even more hurt.

She patted his cheek. "You take care now, ya hear?"

"You too!" With this, Nori and his Pokemon got up and set about their day.

##########​

April 6th, 2015

Nori kept his head down for the next few days after that. He did his training without complaint even as Volkner continued to push him, and did his best to ignore the Gym Trainers in spite of their endless mocking and goading. At least Kallisto stayed out of it. For better or worse.

On April 6th, it was time to start seventh grade. Volkner drove him there in order to show him the route to go. It was further away than West Sunyshore Elementary, but still within walking (or skating) distance of the Gym as long as he left early enough. The snow was clearing up too, so he would be able to skateboard there soon.

The first two days were going to be simple orientation: a quarter block in each of his seven main classes in addition to the first being in homeroom. That was also a huge change of pace, multiple teachers. The eighth block would be rotating between several different electives over the course of the year. To his annoyance, Pokemon training class was mandatory, along with computers. He had enough of the former at the Gym, and he had little experience with the latter. Furthermore, every student would be expected to join a club, although he was exempted due to his commitments at the Gym.

He also learned he was going to have a personal Officials' training class, every Friday morning. Nori immediately recognized the problem. It would replace whatever class was scheduled on that period for him, and he'd have to catch up on whatever work he missed. It couldn't be helped. Nothing to do but do it and worry about the rest later.

---​

Foreboding aside, the day went well. A few people talked to him that seemed friendly enough. Whether or not they'd become actual friends remained to be seen. They certainly couldn't hope to replace Lux. More importantly, he was able to avoid Eddie until the end of the day.

As he left the school, Eddie was waiting for him outside. Nori readied himself, only for a white convertible to pull up. Kallisto's car.

"Hey, Hankstein." He flashed a smile that the boy swore was phony. "And Nori." He pressed a button and the trunk clicked open.

Ollie, in the passenger's seat, reached back and tapped the seats behind him. "Put your bag there and hop in, man!"

Eddie went to do so right away, although Nori remained still. "Uh, why?" he asked.

"Get us back to the Gym faster, that's why," Kallisto stated the obvious.

"I mean, why would I ever want to ride with you?"

"Just get in the fuckin' car, kid." Eddie had left the door open. He even took the middle seat.

But no, he was not doing this. He refused. "No, I'll walk back. Skate back on other days."

"Nori," warned Kallisto, "Volkner's not going to like this."

"Yeah!" agreed Ollie. "He'll be real super pissed at you!"

"So?" he fired back. "He doesn't like anything I do."

Tono shook his head. "Ridiculous. You're acting immature, as always."

Kallisto nodded. "I have to agree with Tono. I know you're upset with him, and none of us really blame you. But aggravating the situation isn't the right way to go about it."

"I'm upset with you too. So sick and tired of your lectures." Why is it that he always had to come in and try to give him advice for anything, even when he didn't ask or want it? Yes, he knew Volkner would be mad. Yes, he knew he could be seen as bratty. But he didn't care.

"Look, Nori. Please–"

"Just go." To drive the point home, he walked off.

---​

It was a pleasant early April afternoon. The sun was out, gracing those outdoors who were walking, riding, or in the case of the likes of Kallisto Keravnos and his friends, driving with the top down on their vehicle. While the weather was still chilly by most people's standards, all four of the Sunyshore Gym Trainers could handle it, or at least felt it was worth it.

Kallisto was deep in thought over what had just transpired. It was to his relief that the others decided to ignore the subject, turning their discussion elsewhere.

"So how's high school, Ollie?" asked Eddie. He was sitting in the seat behind him. Tono was behind Ollie, who was in the front passenger side.

"It was great! Haha!" He clapped his hands. "You don't know what you're missing! Already joined the battling team!"

Kallisto saw a gleam of a smile from Eddie in his rear-view. He'd thankfully gotten over having to repeat the ninth grade. "Good to hear you're having fun. Wanted to be on it."

Tono sighed. Kallisto was watching the road, but he didn't need to look back to tell Tono was facepalming. "Everyone wanted you to, and then you had to fail in the rest of your academics. If you had studied properly, you would not be in this situation." He paused. "Or if you were like me, you could have have skipped a year.

"Means it's easy street this year. Know most the stuff already." He waved a hand. "Gonna be a breeze at this rate."

"The fallacy in you reasoning is obvious. It would have been better to get it right the first time, rather than the second."

"Who knows? Maybe I'll drop out and focus on my Pokemon."

"Ridiculous. A professional battler is expected to have at least a high school education."

"Yeah, you can't slack, man!" Ollie chimed in. "Even I know that!"

"Pft."

Their drive continued for a couple more minutes before Ollie spoke up with a question.

"Hey, why aren't you on the team, Kallisto?"

"I mentioned it before, but I stepped back to be fair to the other schools in the region."

He joined it in tenth grade with Tono, just as Ollie had done today. He'd made team captain halfway through the same year to the chagrin of some of the senior members, and carried them to the finals. A month and a half into eleventh grade is when he announced he'd step back to serve in a coaching capacity. They still successfully defended their national championship. He fully stepped back this year, to focus on other subjects that would diversify his portfolio.

They were at a red light, so the head Gym Trainer briefly glanced back. "And I wanted to give Tono a chance to shine."

His best friend grumbled. "Haruna's already trying to make sure I don't, as always. Jealous harlot that she is."

"Just push her shit in as always," urged Eddie.

"Naturally. She's made it clear she's coming for my position as captain, and I do not intend to lose to her."

Haruna Okazaki was his former self-professed rival, and presently Tono's. She joined the team on the same year he and his best friend did. He could admit, in any other group of students, she would be the top battler on their team. Yet at present, she still had to settle for second best.

"Between the four of us, that's the third reason I left the team," Kallisto confided. "More drama than I cared for. Didn't want that stink on me."

Besides everything Haruna did, the biggest incident came from his only year in an active capacity. They actually almost never made it to the finals. The former captain, a twelfth year named Jeff Figgs, was still angry about losing his position. Him and his buddies decided to sandbag in the knockout round of the nationals, causing them to nearly lose to Rustboro Valley High. It was only because of him, Haruna, and Tono working together that they scored a narrow victory. The coach kicked Jeff and company off the team immediately after.

"You're getting wrapped up in some drama anyway!" replied Ollie.

That was true. Sadly, true. He had managed to avoid thinking about it for a while now. "Speaking of, what'd you three think of Nori back there?"

He himself was completely unsure what to think anymore. The first two months they met, everything was fine. He'd seen the good person he was sure Nori Carino truly was. Then it all went to hell in March. Was it his fault? Did his accidental assault send Nori down this dark, self-destructive path? Or was he always like this?

"Kid needs to get over himself."

"He is a hypocrite. He will forgive us, but not you?"

"I don't know. Reminds me of me back then."

They all looked at Ollie. "True," remarked Tono.

Their hefty friend sighed. "Hey, you got better, didn't you, Gooch?" Kallisto encouraged. Ollie needed it right now. They had a rough history, ever since his family connections got him into the Gym. He was never the best, or the smartest, or the toughest of them. He'd even been feeling threatened by Nori's tenacity as of late, the one thing everyone agreed he was better at than anyone else in the Gym. "And you still have your heart."

"I guess," he admitted with a groan.

Tono reached out, patting him on the back. "There is no need to fret, Ollie. You made the right decision in the end."

"Let's just hope Nori comes to his senses, too."

"That what you think?" Eddie inquired.

"I still want to believe in him."

Yes, he knew Nori was a good person. He'd seen it. Maybe he was headed down the wrong path now, be it the whole time or because of what had happened. But the cream always rises to the top. Everyone was capable of change. Ollie was proof of that, and Nori was no exception either. He just had to make the decision and put in the effort.

---​

Sure enough, Volkner was unhappily waiting for Nori's return. The Gym Leader gave him a dressing down right there in the lobby, ignorant to (or uncaring about) how he was drawing the attention of almost everyone in the building.

Nori didn't pay it much attention. Most of it seemed to be various degrading insults and yelling, as well as rambling about wanting to not waste time. Not stuff worth listening to. The boy had been thinking about what to say about this on his way back.

"Look at me."

Nori was waiting for him to say that. He looked the Gym Leader square in the eyes, and calmly asked, "Would you ride to work with Flint every day?"

The question took Volkner aback for several moments. "That would be different," he blurted out, flying back into a rant.

Nori again tuned most of it out. Eventually, he cut in. "Would you regularly drive in the same car with someone you hate?" he inquired, more sharply than before.

The blond man seethed. "Enough of this. We've got work to do." Dropping the subject entirely at that.

Nori chuckled triumphantly. He looked over with a smirk at Ollie and Tono, who were watching from the left hallway. The Gym Leader leered.

"Don't screw around. Come straight back every day. Understood?"

He agreed. "I can do that much, yes."

Oh yay, back on the suffering train. I'm not even surprised the gym trainers did what they did, and I'm even less surprised Nori decided to fight back for once. Nori had every right to do what he did, and it just hurts to see him be forced to apologize for actually standing up for himself. Even more so that Eddie is just soooo convinced he's the most important person in the room, like he believes he's so much better than everyone else and knows he can get away with doing all sorts of shit just because, knowing that Volkner will let him! The fact that he's taking so much pleasure in forcing Nori to apologize to him proves just how egotistical he is. I can't even feel sorry for Kallisto and the others, even after they apologized to Nori, because I know it won't mean anything in the long run, and they'll all probably do something again later. The fact that Volkner is letting them get away with all sorts of things while actively forcing Nori, who is clearly the victim in this case, to apologize to his aggressors and not even punish the gym trainers, proves that Nori really should not be in the gym with them at all. He can't put up with this any longer. I'm starting to think Nori should bring a tape recorder with him so he can record them doing something that'll be enough to report them to the authorities. I'm genuinely scared for him at this point. Plus, all the gym trainers say Nori is being immature and a hypocrite, but that really describes all of them. I'm convinced they're projecting their own issues onto Nori and in complete denial of just how shitty they all are. But Nori does plan on giving them some degree of comeuppance, and I really want to see all of them get theirs.

Oh yay, back on the suffering train. I'm not even surprised the gym trainers did what they did, and I'm even less surprised Nori decided to fight back for once. Nori had every right to do what he did, and it just hurts to see him be forced to apologize for actually standing up for himself.
So two things here. One, I'm surprised you (seemingly) have no catharsis about the nutshot. And two, getting in trouble for fighting back against bullies is a very real thing. The cause is different in this case, however, instead of being a nonsensical school rule.

Even more so that Eddie is just soooo convinced he's the most important person in the room, like he believes he's so much better than everyone else and knows he can get away with doing all sorts of shit just because, knowing that Volkner will let him! The fact that he's taking so much pleasure in forcing Nori to apologize to him proves just how egotistical he is.
Volkner wasn't happy about it, silver lining. It's not exactly "letting" him.

I can't even feel sorry for Kallisto and the others, even after they apologized to Nori, because I know it won't mean anything in the long run, and they'll all probably do something again later.
So I should point something out about Kallisto's character at this point. Try to completely ignore what happened on March 1st, like he said. Now compare his behavior to how he was before that. It's basically no different, right? Sure, March 1st recontextualizes and possibly forever taints things, but he's still the same old Kallisto. He's someone to whom the worst you can say about is that he doesn't rein in his friends more, and here you can see a bit of his reasons why - he didn't want the money Eddie spent on the water blasts going to waste. Even he knows he should've here, however.

I'm starting to think Nori should bring a tape recorder with him so he can record them doing something that'll be enough to report them to the authorities. I'm genuinely scared for him at this point.
If only he could find one...

Plus, all the gym trainers say Nori is being immature and a hypocrite, but that really describes all of them. I'm convinced they're projecting their own issues onto Nori and in complete denial of just how shitty they all are.
I mean, that literally is the case with Ollie in some fashion, although it's not clear exactly how at this point - other than how he used to be like Nori, and Eddie and Tono used to give him hell all the time.

But Nori does plan on giving them some degree of comeuppance, and I really want to see all of them get theirs.
How long will that take? Who knows!

Last edited:
So two things here. One, I'm surprised you (seemingly) have no catharsis about the nutshot. And two, getting in trouble for fighting back against bullies is a very real thing. The cause is different in this case.

Yeah, did forget to mention: Good on Nori for hitting Eddie where it hurts. The guy totally deserved it. And yeah, it is a sad reality that that happens more often than not.

*Well, whatever they're planning seems to be water related.
*I don't care if he is a bastard, Nori. You don't give a man a shot in the pills, it's just not cricket.
*I'm starting to think it's actually Pachirisu, not Nidorina, that will extract revenge.
*Even Volkner seems tired of this BS.
*Yep, Volkner is clearly ridiculously tired of this BS.
*Some fun new regional variants.
*The Gym trainers' apology seems to be reinforcing my impressions that Eddie's the biggest jerk of the group.
*Well, Eddie as his Last Chance Boss Fight is much better than it being Kallisto.
...Hmmm...I'm predicting he'll be forbidden from using Nidorina in the match so heh as to prove he's improved and isn't just relying on the Demon's power. Just a gut feeling.
*I feel like Volkner has just gotten worn down with everything at this point.

In any case, the tension is building for Nori's match in a short time. Looking forward to seeing how it goes!
As for Kallisto...I want to hold off on a full analysis until the story is done, but he's certainly an interesting character.

*Well, whatever they're planning seems to be water related.
The meanest thing to do to an aquaphobe.

*I don't care if he is a bastard, Nori. You don't give a man a shot in the pills, it's just not cricket.
Do you think he'll be happy there in the Sunyshore Gym?

*I'm starting to think it's actually Pachirisu, not Nidorina, that will extract revenge.
It shall remain to be seen, heh heh

*Even Volkner seems tired of this BS.
*Yep, Volkner is clearly ridiculously tired of this BS.
Well who wouldn't be at this point?

*Some fun new regional variants.
This is actually close to what Holon Pokemon actually are in the TCG: they have different moves, but they maintain the same weaknesses. So I equate that to having the same type but a different movepool. The Luxray there is a fun new one, however.

*The Gym trainers' apology seems to be reinforcing my impressions that Eddie's the biggest jerk of the group.
Very much a fact. But just to remind, there is one layer to it: Eddie is the only one who was explicitly against the assault on March 1st

*Well, Eddie as his Last Chance Boss Fight is much better than it being Kallisto.
...Hmmm...I'm predicting he'll be forbidden from using Nidorina in the match so heh as to prove he's improved and isn't just relying on the Demon's power. Just a gut feeling.
All I'll say for now is that the battle is a thing all right.

As for Kallisto...I want to hold off on a full analysis until the story is done, but he's certainly an interesting character.
I would be interested in seeing where your thoughts stand in a few chapters. I will say he is going to get character development and exposition that could change things. Of course that could well be part of the analysis too...

Do you think he'll be happy there in the Sunyshore Gym?
I swore I deleted that part before posting after changing my mind about including an old movie reference. I guess not. :LOL:

This is actually close to what Holon Pokemon actually are in the TCG: they have different moves, but they maintain the same weaknesses. So I equate that to having the same type but a different movepool. The Luxray there is a fun new one, however.
Ah, I'm not familiar with the TCG so I didn't know that Holon was a preexisting place!

Very much a fact. But just to remind, there is one layer to it: Eddie is the only one who was explicitly against the assault on March 1st
Yeah, there are some good layers to the Gym Trainers outside a simple hierarchy of awful.

Month 4: April of Change (second part)
April of Change (second part)
April 7th, 2015

Just like the first day, the second day of school was just class orientation, except for officials' training. From here on out, seventh grade students would have two classes a day, going through all eight in order in an AB CD EF GH pattern, before looping in a BA DC FE HG one. To his annoyance, his battling class teacher expected big things from him. Thankfully it was as much academic as it was practical. He looked it up, and it wouldn't be necessary next year. Nothing to do but coast this year, he figured.

To the boy's chagrin, Eddie found him at lunch as he was wandering the halls. The Gym Trainer started blabbing; the boy ignored it and kept walking. That was, until he heard a familiar voice with a light Solaceon accent from his right.

"Well, well, well. Look who it is." Spike strutted up with an even more inflated air of self-superiority than a month ago. He was dressed in clothing that would befit any punk "Softy Nori Carino. This your new boyfriend?"

Eddie arched an eyebrow. "Who's this raggedy little shit?" he inquired, sparing only the slightest glance as though the bully was unworthy of his attention.

"Spike Caras," Nori explained. "Some tryhard I met in sixth grade, mostly went after my friend Lux. And I mostly got the better of him."

"So he's back at it trying to save face, huh?" The dark-skinned teen snickered.

"Who's tryin' to save face?" Spike fired back. "Someone shoulda saved yours, ugly."

"Pft. Big talk from a guy who's dressed like a wannabe gangster. What's with the hair?"

"Grows this way. Where's yours?"

"Like it short." Eddie ran his palm along his scalp. He always kept it in a buzz cut. It never occurred to Nori, but thinking about it now, Eddie must've had a barber willing to do that for cheap. "Anyway, lemme see if I got this right. This kid's whooped your ass a buncha times, now you're trying to pick a fight again?" He took a step forward with threatening undertones. "With me here to back 'em up?"

"Didn't he whoop you too?" Some of the onlooking students went ‘ooo’ at this. Nori grinned. This was getting good. "And here you are stickin' up for him."

"Yeah, he did," Eddie freely admitted. "I don't like this kid. In fact, think he's a little pussy baby."

"And you're a jerk!"

Ignoring it, Eddie continued. "But you got a problem with him, you got a problem with me and the others. We at Sunyshore Gym stick together."

Nori wasn't sure how to feel about this. The solidarity even in the face of their dispute was a nice gesture, but he wasn't sure he wanted it.

"Ooo, I'm so scared!" Spike sarcastically quipped, before addressing him. "What's wrong with you, softy? Gotten even softer and hidin' behind this twat?"

And that was why he was uncertain he wanted it. "I'm not hiding behind him!" he shouted. He turned to the Gym Trainer. "And I can fight my own battles."

"Really? Wouldn't think that. Can barely fight with Pokemon."

"I did it just fine before." Nori smirked mischievously. "And at least with Spike, he didn't complain when I beat him up. You had to go crying like a pansy and made a big spectacle of it."

More intrigue from the crowd. His public apology and Eddie's actions during it were seen by a lot of people, and probably heard of by many more. Spike agreed. "Gotta agree there. Kind of a bitch move."

Eddie stomped right up to the bully. "You wanna start somethin'?"

"I ain't scared of you."

"Then let's have it out in the fields, kid." He took out a Poke Ball.

"Ain't got no Pokemon yet."

"So a fistfight, then?" Nori suggested, trying to contain his joyous laughter. This was great. Two people he didn't like were fighting each other. Perfect!

"Pft," Eddie waved. "Screw that."

"Scared I'll kick your ass?" Spike punctuated this with a light shove. People held their breath to see what Eddie was going to do about it.

"You ain't worth my time, kid."

To everyone's disappointment, he turned on his heels and walked away. Nori still found it in him to smile. Eddie backed off. From Spike of all people. It was too bad he was still a stupid bully who hated him, because he'd want to be friends with him otherwise.

"Guess you're a bitch after all," Spike mocked, before turning his attention back to Nori. "And I ain't forgotten what you did, softy. Smug little fucker, too. Gonna get you back someday."

That day wasn't going to be today. With this, Spike took his leave as well. Nori would've been more than happy to throw down, but knew it was better not to get into trouble on his second day of junior high.

##########​

April 8th, 2015

Wednesday was Nori's first proper day of school. Luckily, there was little drama in his classes. Spike wasn't in the same group as him, so it was just schoolwork and light conversation with others. Far less intensive than what he went through daily at the Gym.

Nori ate his lunch in the halls, near his locker. He didn't like the cafeteria. It was too crowded and too noisy for his taste, plus he had to sit and eat around others. He never liked eating with strangers.

After he finished, he decided to head to the Square. It was an open indoor space for students to congregate, located near the middle of the school. Nearby stairs allowed access to both floors; you could look down on it from the second. The drama and music rooms were located beyond huge sliding barricades. Each had a small stage in front of it. Several vending machines were on the second floor, and the snack shop was just around the corner on the first.

He was lounging around on the first floor, when a booming female voice called out to the entire student body. "Read all about it!" He turned and saw Arumi. She was dressed in a normal if somewhat formal getup today, rather than her disguise from the day they first met.

"Island Academy Shut Down Amidst Allegations of Mass Brainwashing!"

"What?!"

Arumi caught sight of him, or at least inferred she'd gotten his attention. "I see I have an interested reader!" she declared. With flair, she presented him with a stapled-together set of sheets, twelve pages double-sided. "Here, our school's weekly newsletter! It's the top story under news from other schools around the world!"

Nori gave the green papers a quick glance. "Yes, I heard about this." It was weird, something at the Flaming Haze University to cover a scandal with Team Rocket infiltration. Which created a bigger one when the memory sealing failed on multiple students. It was nothing to worry about and not relevant, just Arumi referencing something. "But what does some private Pokemon college have to do with us?"

Arumi idly handed out more to willing (and some unwilling) students as she elaborated. "I'm making sure teens stay informed of major incidents going on around the world! Especially when it concerns teens our age! Or schools! Or especially teens our age at school!" She twirled a finger. "Some news places like to keep things local or regional, but there's more to news than that!"

Nori agreed. "I always liked the news for that reason. I like learning what's going on in the world."

"Really?!" Arumi gasped in marveled awe. Her eyes sparkled. "Then you should join the news club, and be a part of our mission!"

"Your mission?"

A beat. "Okay, it's kind of my personal goal," she admitted. "But if you have an interest in media at all, you should consider it!"

"Reporting, huh?" He liked the news, but it never occurred to him to help put it together. "You know, I just might do that."

This had caught his interest. He didn't have to join a club, but that didn't mean he couldn't. Sure, he was going to be a Pokemon Rehabilitator - as long as he could beat Eddie on the 20th - but it could be a good backup. And maybe, he thought, he could learn some useful things there.

Arumi clapped him on the back. "Glad to hear that! We meet up in the video production room, each day, after school and at lunch!"

"Well, I apparently need to get back to the Gym as quick as I can. Every day, no matter what," he droned. "But I'll drop by at lunch tomorrow."

"Excellent! Maybe you can give me some insider info!" She was beaming ear to ear, though when she realized what she'd asked and how she'd asked it, changed to giving him baby Growlithe eyes with just a bit of sheepishness. "Uh, please?"

Nori smirked, dispelling her worries. "Happy to." He'd tell her anything she wanted about the Gym.

"See you then, then!" Nori walked off as Arumi continued to distribute the newsletter.

---​

After school had ended for the day, Nori found himself accosted by Eddie as he was making his way out. The boy's suspicions were roused by the Gym Trainer's casual conversation.

"What do you really want, Eddie?" he decided to ask directly, as they exited. He wouldn't be doing this if he didn't want something.

His expression turned cold. "Heard you made friends with a certain wannabe reporter."

"I'm not dating her."

"Quick to say that. You better not be."

"I'm not! What's wrong with being friends with a girl?"

"It's being friends with her."

Kallisto's convertible was waiting in the parking lot. Eddie marched over with purpose, exchanging quick words. Tono and the head Gym Trainer immediately got out and rushed over.

"Nori, really?!" said Kallisto.

Tono was aghast. "I thought you were just naive and blinded by anger much of the time, but it appears your better judgment has left your frontal lobe altogether."

"Another thing you don't want me doing? What's the big deal this time?" he asked. This wasn't like when they told him not to date anyone. This was a mix of disgust and horror. The three Gym Trainers gave an outline of their disdain.

"Arumi Schrader is every negative stereotype about reporters rolled into one. A disgrace to her prestigious family name."

"She's nuts, kid. No respect for privacy."

Ollie didn't get out, but shouted from the car. "She's stalked people before! She might start stalking you, too!"

Kallisto took a deep breath, far more composed. "I don't like to speak ill of others or make negative assumptions about people's motivations." He thoughtfully closed his eyes, and eventually shook his head. "But Arumi...I don't know what to think about her."

Nori didn't get it. Maybe Arumi was in-your-face, sure. But she was peachy and pleasant compared to them. In fact, he had a good idea what it was.

"What, are you scared of her?" he taunted.

"No!"

Eddie's reaction was instant, and Nori threw this response right back at him. "You were quick to say that, you know."

"Fuck off!"

"You're afraid she'll dig up dirt on you, aren't you?" It was a shot in the dark.

"Nori, stop being presumptuous," Kallisto ordered, stern and serious, as if insulted. His tone softened with his next words. "The point we're making is she's not the kind of person you want to be friends with. Sorry if we didn't make that clear last month."

"We would not wish that young woman on our worst enemy, let alone a..." Tono considered this. "...fellow Gym resident, I suppose."

"Trust us," the head Gym Trainer affirmed with a nod. "I know we're not on the best of terms. But we're looking out for you here."

"I didn't ask you to do that, and I don't want you to!" With this, Nori stomped away.

"Fine, kid! Just don't say we didn't warn your sorry ass!"

Screw them! Even if they were telling the truth! He had enough trouble making real friends as it is! He was always popular, he got along with most people, but he had few real friends! That's why it hurt. That's why it hurt so bad to lose Lux! If Arumi could be a friend, he'd welcome her with open arms, no matter what kind of person she turned out to be! Even if she was a nutty negative journalist stereotype who stalked people and had no respect for privacy! She would still be a friend!

##########​

April 9th, 2015

After Nori returned, the Gym Trainers thankfully dropped the issue. The boy, on thinking about it, wasn't sure of his accusation. Maybe they really did just hate Arumi for who she was. She seemed to have a history of bothering them at the Gym. But it wasn't his problem. He wasn't going to let anything deter him. He decided not to waste any time in accepting her invitation.

At lunch the day after, Nori searched until he found the video production room. It was at the very end of one of the hallways. At first he accidentally poked into a large room that appeared to be a set of some kind. It had green screens, lights, and various cameras, microphones, and other equipment at the ready. The walls of the main room were painted black. A teacher's desk was tucked in the back near another entrance to the set room. There were four large tables in the room, a couple televisions, and three tiny side-rooms on the left with computers.

Five students were sitting at one of the tables. Their heads turned. Arumi immediately stood and came over to him.

"Hey, Nor'!" the braided-haired girl said. "Glad you could make it!"

"Hey, uh." Nori rubbed the back of his head. He was curious. "Did you hear the Sunyshore Gym Trainers were talking trash about you after school yesterday?"

She gave an enthusiastic nod. "I did! It's no secret they're not fans of me. I guess I just rub some people the wrong way, you know?"

Nori laughed. "I don't just know, I understand." He rubbed people the wrong way all the time. But when people got to know him, like Lux did, they were always very close.

A teenaged male with light brown hair sighed in exasperation. He was dressed as formal as one could get without donning a full-on suit or uniform: a white dress-shirt, miniature red tie, black dress pants, and brown fedora. "They don't like you because you're too pushy, Arumi. If someone doesn't want to give you an interview, there's nothing you can do."

"But you have to be pushy sometimes!" she stated, making the teen shake his head in disbelief. Arumi held out a palm, presenting Nori. "Anyhoo! Everyone, I'm sure you know him already. But this is Nori Carino! He'll be joining our club!"

"Nori Carino is joining us?" a boy around his age asked. The strawberry blond male was in a star-patterned shirt with red shorts. He wondered, did he actually wear that outside?! April was hardly shorts weather in Sinnoh! "I thought he'd be a shoe-in for the battles club."

He smirked. "I'm just full of surprises, aren't I?"

"Guess so!" The other boy laughed.

Arumi grinned. "Why don't you introduce yourselves, everyone?"

"I'm Yuki Omi," the shorts-wearing boy said. "I just joined the club too!"

"Lorant Floyd Robertson," said the one furthest back, simple and to the point. The tallest among them, he had a skin tone between Arumi's and Eddie's, as well as white hair in a buzz cut.

"I am called Beau Alagiah," introduced the other girl of the group. She spoke with a refined, eloquent tone. She was in a frilly designer pink and white shirt and a long ankle-length purple skirt. Her lavender-colored hair was poofy, for lack of a better term, and she had crescent-moon shaped earrings. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

The one who criticized Arumi went last. "The name's Gino Parsons," he said in a welcoming tone. "Good to meet you, Nori."

"And good to meet all of you," he replied. All of them, even Lorant, gave him friendly and welcoming smiles. "So what do you do here?"

Gino explained. "We're a tight-knit group of students who want to be involved in the news in some way when we get older. Lorant's most comfortable behind a camera. Arumi's our field reporter. Beau and I want to be news anchors."

"I'm more into sports," Yuki added.

"Good to know," said Gino, with a determined look of approval. "Our club's resident sports buff graduated last year. So we could use someone who can cover our school's teams in detail."

"My sweet Sato..." Arumi dreamily sighed.

Beau rolled her eyes, and elaborated further. "We of the news club engage in a number of activities. The lesser among them include studying video production, journalistic training, and discussing the news."

Discussing the news? "Cool!" Nori said. He loved listening to it! It was already looking like a great idea to come here, he always wanted to talk to people about it! "Hey, you hear about that shooting on that interview show?"

"Oh yeah! Joanne and Paz!" Yes, Arumi knew its name! It was run by a mother and daughter, held debates and interviewed famous people, and was notorious for heated arguments and occasional on-air incidents. "That preacher shot that nudist right in the dick!"

Yuki and Beau were mortified. Lorant remained stone-faced, and Gino was dismissive. "Uh, sure," he said, not concealing his disinterest. "Before you got here, we were talking about those protests about a new series of solar walkways being planned to be built on the east side."

"I heard about that!" said Yuki.

Beau nodded. "They are proving to be an eyesore for some residents."

Nori could understand that. Maybe? It wasn't that interesting to him. Compare a scandal with a semi-popular radio show to political boringness that wouldn't go anywhere like most protests did. Plus it only affected Sunyshore.

"Getting back on track," Gino said. "Our main purpose here is the school newsletter. We all work together putting it together, typing it up, printing and distributing it. It's a lot of work at the keyboards."

Nori adjusted his bangs. "Uh, well, I won't be any help there. I barely know how to use a computer."

Everyone but Arumi was aghast at this. Lorant grunted. Yuki went, "Really?!"

"How could you not know how to use a computer?" asked Gino.

"I refuse to believe that!" Beau shouted.

Arumi came to his defense. "Oh, come on, guys! Give him a break, you should know why he doesn't!" She got up, and as if she were on-camera, paced about and gesticulated. "Nori Carino grew up in a trailer park with his single mom. A lot of things we take for granted like phones, internet, TV, video games, and computers, he never had growing up!"

"Mhm." He nodded.

Gino nodded. "Ah, that's right."

"Oh, my apologies." Beau still looked horrified, and Nori knew exactly why. She was trying to process how he could live like that. He got that so often he could tell exactly when someone was thinking that.

For his part, he smiled at them. "It's okay, I'm used to it." It never bothered him unless someone decided to be classist.

To that point, Yuki groaned. "I can't imagine life without my cell phone and Poketch." Beau nodded in agreement.

"In any case," Gino asked him. "Are you actually interested in joining the club?"

"Sure, why not? I've always liked the news."

"Then welcome aboard."

They shook hands to make it official. Arumi clapped and cheered. The others save the stoic Lorant also clapped. There was one thing he wanted to make clear though, just in case Arumi hadn't.

"It'll be part-time, because they want my back at the Gym right after school every day, but I'll pitch in any way I can." He paused, glancing into one of the side-rooms. "Just not with the computer stuff."

Arumi slapped him on the back. "It's okay, we'll help ya out learning it, Nor'. Won't we?" She looked out at the others, who nodded. Nori felt a warmth rising in his chest. He was worried he was going into another potentially hostile environment, but everyone here was kind. At worst, slightly dysfunctional.

The boy sighed. "Can't believe they're making me learn it in school."

"It is a highly useful skill to have in our world," Beau stated.

Nori couldn't deny that. He didn't like computers, but it was good to know how to use them, just in case. And he did always look forward to learning new things.

---​

In the afternoon, Nori finally got his cast removed. He was given eye-shielding goggles to wear as he sat with his arm strapped down. Betsy-Ann watched and held his arm to steady it further as the coach cut through the cast with a medical sawblade. Afterward, they had him do some basic stretches and exercises with the arm. Eventually the coach left, and it was just him and Betsy-Ann in the room.

"Surprised ya ain't had no one sign that there thing," Betsy-Ann remarked."Did no one ask ya?"

He shrugged. "Didn't see the point. A few did." He smirked at her. "You didn't."

She laughed. "Got me there." She picked it up and handed it to him. "Here ya go, a l'il keepsake, in any case."

Nori reflexively accepted it. He knew a couple kids who kept their casts after breaking their arm. Yet with mixed emotions, he placed it on the table. "When I look at this, I can only remember how it got broken."

Betsy-Ann huffed. "I know that Kallisto can be a regular 'ol pain in the rear."

Nori blinked. "Wh-what?" he stuttered. From her tone, she was serious. Not just admitting a dark secret that went unspoken by everyone either. She said it bitterly. "You...don't like him, either?"

"Let's jus' say me an' him have a l'il history."

Again, he sat dumbfounded. Kallisto and Betsy-Ann had a history? Something that he did to make her hate him? "What happened?"

"Ain't the time," she dismissed. At first, Nori was annoyed. How could you say that and not say anything?! However, the rural medic-in-training eased this with a gesture and promise. "Won't keep mum on ya forever. Cross my heart."

"Okay, looking forward to it." Speculation ran rampant in his mind.

"Best skedaddle for now. Take care, ya hear?"

"I will." Nori halted as he got up. After a moment's thought, he snatched the cast. "I guess I'll take it anyway." Maybe he could use it as motivation. A reminder of everything, and a reminder not to forgive Kallisto. Betsy-Ann giggled as he left the room.

##########​

April 10th, 2015

The first two blocks of every Friday would be Nori's Officials' training. It was something he was looking forward to. There was so much more he needed to know besides Pokemon, and Volkner wasn't a good source.

Instead of a classroom, he went to this strange unfurnished side-room. It was so cramped he was reminded of his family trailer. When you walked in, you were met with a small corridor with old textbooks straight in front of you, a boiler or heater at the end, and wooden stairs just to the right. The second floor was only slightly more open. The wood floor had enough room for a table and chair; another shelf of books was behind where you walked up. There were only three light sources: two string-lights on each floor, and a single tiny window that a human couldn't squeeze out of that overlooked the sports field. Pipes and vents were exposed freely above, and cobwebs littered the untiled roof. It was like a random shed built into the school.

As he waited, Nori wondered what type of person his official teacher would be. Finally, the door opened, and he had his answer. He turned to see a woman with very short black hair coming up the steps. Nori recoiled. "Your eye!" he blurted. She had a patch over her right eye!

"Lost it chasing a Pokemon Hunter," the woman quipped. She was dressed in a simple white and beige outfit, something between a casual and formal suit. "Damn silver-haired cunt. This close to killing the bitch, but she threw a henchman and one of her Pokemon in front of the bullets. What about it?"

"Nothing, nothing," Nori said. "I was just surprised."

"Everyone is," she bitterly muttered. "Bastards made me retire, even though I shoot at a distance with one eye better than some bumblers can point blank with two."

Nori shuddered at the woman's tone. He could already tell, she didn't want to be here. Was she going to end up being just as bad as Volkner? They had the same attitude, the only difference was he was a Gym Leader and this woman seemed to be a former special agent.

She crossed her arms. "Rin Kakoku. I'll be your teacher for Officials' training. You'll be learning law, history, athletics, fieldwork, and psychology."

"Psychology?"

She reached into her pack. "Reading others, people and Pokemon."

"Oh, uh, like body language?" He heard about that, mostly on his radio dramas. Like how someone might give away that they're hiding something by their little actions. "A lot to cram in..."

"So I don't want to piss around." At once, she dropped a textbook on his desk. "Read this."

"Is this the law book?" he inquired.

"A law book. We'll be covering the basics first. We'll cover criminal, civil, and Pokemon law in-depth later." She shooed him to begin. "If you have questions, ask." With this, she took out her phone and leaned against the wall.

---​

This was so hands-off compared to every other teacher Nori had that it initially threw him for a loop. Instead of getting a lecture along with the textbook, he was reading it completely on his own. He took notes on anything that stood out or seemed important.

That's not to say the teacher wasn't paying attention. Periodically, Ms. Kakoku (he asked if she was a Ms. or Mrs. and got that answer) would speak up and ask him questions about pages he'd recently read. He was always able to answer.

Before long, the bell rang for break. "Good enough on that for today," she said. She plopped some papers on his desk. "Homework. I'll have a test for you on chapters 1-2 next time."

A test, already?! Nori winced. "All right." He'd have to find the time to study between work for his other classes and training for exhibition day.

"We'll start on history after."

---​

Nori already had a history class, so he wondered what the point of this one was. "That blond rat gave you the Pokemon Training History textbook, right?"

"Yes," Nori said, trying not to giggle at her description for him. "I've read about halfway through."

"Good." And with this, Ms. Kakoku produced some papers. "Let's see how much you remember."

Nori glanced down at it. Another test?! There had to be at least a dozen pages here! Flipping through, some of them expected written answers too! He could only groan and get to it.

---​

"So how'd I do?" he asked after the fact. He was worried. He'd only been reading it on and off and hadn't been taking notes; it hadn't been a huge priority with all that was happening at the Gym. He wasn't even sure if he'd read some of the content that was on there.

The former agent didn't answer, continuing to flip through. At points, probably the written ones, she hummed and hawed. It took five minutes after he had asked to get an answer, although it came in the form of a question.

"What's that blond rat been teaching you?"

"Um, mostly Pokemon with a bit of physical activity." That about covered it. "I didn't fail, did I?"

"Passing, but I expected more." That was a huge relief to Nori, although Ms. Kakoku was equal parts disappointed and irritated.

"He's been pushing the battling stuff over the past month," he explained.

"Typical."

"He said if I don't shape up by the 20th, he's going to say I'm a lost cause."

"Again, typical."

Nori wondered at this point. "Do you have a history with the blond ra–I mean, Mr. Denzi?"

"Don't respect him. All he's good for is battling." That explained that, at least. Gym Leaders were officials too, so maybe he had a reputation? Yet that wasn't entirely fair. Volkner did have his machines, right? "You're musing something, aren't you?"

Nori blinked at the sudden question. "Just about what you said. But Volkner's good at cars and machines, too."

"Keeps them to himself, that's his problem." The woman shrugged. "Body language thing for you. If someone leans or lounges back when talking to you, means they have a problem or aren't interested. If they cross their arms, even more of one."

Reflexively, he sat up straight. He didn't mean to give off that impression. "Like when you were leaning against the wall?"

"Smartass." She didn't deny it, Nori noted. The former agent started down the stairs. "That's it for today. Now get out of here," she said, without looking back. It wasn't even officially lunch yet.

"Okay," the boy replied. He wasn't going to complain about some extra free time. "Thank you."

##########​

April 11th, 2015

On the weekend, Nori got up ready to train. The lessons had been mercifully short and to the point the past month. With Official's class with Ms. Kakoku at the school, that meant all the Gym Leader would be doing was teaching him Pokemon.

After breakfast, he came downstairs into the arena with Pachirisu on his shoulder, where he saw Kallisto and Tono lounging on the bleachers. There was no sign of the other two. As for Volkner, he was headed for the back door.

"Hey, so what do you have planned today?" the boy called out.

"Nothing." He didn't so much as look back.

"What?"

"Train on your own."

"Wha..." Nori couldn't find the words at first. Volkner wasn't going to train him? He wasn't doing his job? "Don't tell me you've given up on me already!"

Kallisto jumped to his feet. "Volkner!" he snapped.

"You teach him if you're so worried."

"As if!" He didn't want Kallisto telling him what to do! The boy stamped a foot as the Gym Leader left the room. "What's his problem now?!"

"I think you had it right. He's given up." The head Gym Trainer sighed. "Not on you necessarily, but on himself."

"But if I lose and I'm gone, doesn't he lose to Flint?"

The bespectacled teen pushed up his glasses. "That should indicate to you his present level of apathy."

"Quitters can't win!"

"I wholeheartedly agree." Him and Tono being on the same page about something. That was a rarity. "So, what do you intend to do?"

There was only one thing he could do. "Train for the 20th! I'll show him. I'll show Eddie, too! We'll get stronger and win!" His Pokemon jumped off his shoulder, flexing his tiny limbs. He grinned. "Let's go, Pachi. It's time for some serious training."

"Best of luck."

"Call if you need anything."

He nodded respectfully at the Gym Trainers. He wouldn't take them up on that offer, though. He had no idea what Eddie was up to, and didn't want to chance them telling him what he was doing. So all he could do was train his Pokemon, level them up, and beat him. Show that stupid Gym Leader that he could battle! It was that simple, nothing to do but do that.

---​

Once Nori had left the arena and went upstairs, Kallisto addressed his best friend. "Do you think he can do it?"

"Against Eddie?" he mused, pressing a finger to his forehead. "We shall see. If he wises up and uses real strategy, he can win."

"You may need to be there for him."

Tono crossed his arms and harrumphed in reply to this.

"You're the only one left he might listen to."

"If he wants and needs it, he will ask me."

True. Nori wasn't afraid to ask for help, but he didn't ask for it every time he needed it. And Kallisto had the feeling that if the boy didn't swallow his pride, he was headed for failure.

Last edited:
Now this was the breath of fresh air I needed! So glad that Nori decided to join the journalism club with Arumi and her friends. They're already a far more welcoming bunch than the gym trainers could ever be, and it helps that they're actually willing to accommodate him and help him, and not just bark orders at him and yell at him if he doesn't know something they don't. Nori could really use the positive reinforcement and people that'll actually have his back. Not surprised that Spike returned, but I am kind of surprised that he agreed that Eddie basically browbeating Nori into apologizing to him was going too far. That does add some degree of depth to Spike, showing that even he has standards, so I'm curious to see if you'll build on that now that Lux is out of the picture.

But more curious are Rin Kankoku, Nori's officials teacher, and Betsy-Ann's supposed history with Kallisto. From context, it seems like Rin really doesn't like Volkner. I hope she can be a potential ally for Nori considering how badly Volkner's treated him. I kind of also hope Nori reports Volkner and the gym trainers' behavior to her just to see how she reacts, and since Rin's an official to some extent, I can only imagine how satisfying it'd be if she got to nail Volkner's ass. Anyway, great chapter as always!

Now this was the breath of fresh air I needed! So glad that Nori decided to join the journalism club with Arumi and her friends. They're already a far more welcoming bunch than the gym trainers could ever be, and it helps that they're actually willing to accommodate him and help him, and not just bark orders at him and yell at him if he doesn't know something they don't. Nori could really use the positive reinforcement and people that'll actually have his back.
Indeed! Sort of a relaxing nice scene, wasn't it?

Not surprised that Spike returned, but I am kind of surprised that he agreed that Eddie basically browbeating Nori into apologizing to him was going too far. That does add some degree of depth to Spike, showing that even he has standards, so I'm curious to see if you'll build on that now that Lux is out of the picture.
Heh, funny enough, I was intending the opposite. To show that Spike is such an arrogant bully that even Eddie doesn't like him. I guess it really does go both ways, though. Both of them are kind of bullies, but are different enough that there's things about the other they hate.

But more curious are Rin Kankoku, Nori's officials teacher,
Kakoku! It means 'harsh' or 'severe'!

and Betsy-Ann's supposed history with Kallisto.
It'll take a bit to get back to this one, but she will explain it.

From context, it seems like Rin really doesn't like Volkner. I hope she can be a potential ally for Nori considering how badly Volkner's treated him. I kind of also hope Nori reports Volkner and the gym trainers' behavior to her just to see how she reacts, and since Rin's an official to some extent, I can only imagine how satisfying it'd be if she got to nail Volkner's ass.
Something to keep in mind is Nori's mantra that snitches get stitches. It's unlikely he'd report them, unfortunately...

One thing you might've glossed over, too: she mentions a silver-haired Pokemon Hunter who she almost caught/killed, only to kill one of her henchman and Pokemon instead. And lost an eye in the process of the chase. Yeah.

*"We at Sunyshore Gym stick together."
I recall a motto I read once: "Me against my family, me and my family against my neighborhood, me, my family, and my neighborhood against my town, my town against the country, my country against the world." There seems to be several variants of the general idea.
*Dear heavens, those are two are both so manipulable.
*And Amy might be another possibly genuien friend for Nori.
*I'm always exasperated by micromanaging control freaks like the Gym Trainers.
Still...I can't shake the concer nthey might be at least partly right about Arumi. Kallisto for his significant faults is genuinely trying to help Nori. They could be mistaken or biased, of course.
*I've read that things get bad on Jerry Springer but an actual shooting might beat that.
*Ah, youth. One day you may wish you paid more attention to that boring politics stuff...
*Oh, I look forward to hearing what Betsy-Ann knows.
*Silver Haired Hunter who threw her own Pokémon and a henchman in the path of a bullet...Hunter J, I guess? Interesting implications..,
*Ha, the hardcore ex-special agent thinks Volkner's a jerk too.
*Pachirisu remains the best Pokémon.

A chapter with a lot of great set-up; I'm curious to learn a bit more about Ms. Kakoku, and what happened between Kallisto and Betsy-Ann, and how Nori is going to prepare for Eddie (and what happens with him and the other Gym Trainers--though the cold opening suggests little good).

All right, expect the next update tonight or early morning tomorrow. Was without internet since the 18th, with only phone data. Fortunately I managed to bump the latter a little earlier. Nothing we or our ISP did either, somebody from a competitor unplugged all our stuff while working. And...look forward to a little something different in three days. :)

*"We at Sunyshore Gym stick together."
I recall a motto I read once: "Me against my family, me and my family against my neighborhood, me, my family, and my neighborhood against my town, my town against the country, my country against the world." There seems to be several variants of the general idea.
More or less. The Gym Trainers may be jerks, even to each other, but they have a kinship of sorts.

*Dear heavens, those are two are both so manipulable.
It was an extremely fun scene to write.

*I'm always exasperated by micromanaging control freaks like the Gym Trainers.
Still...I can't shake the concer nthey might be at least partly right about Arumi. Kallisto for his significant faults is genuinely trying to help Nori. They could be mistaken or biased, of course.
It remains to be seen.

*I've read that things get bad on Jerry Springer but an actual shooting might beat that.
It's a double reference. First to this moment in GTA Vice City, and namewise, from this fic (which is more or less like Springer, and albeit genderswapped names)

*Ah, youth. One day you may wish you paid more attention to that boring politics stuff...
Taken positively, Nori could be said to have a bigger view of the world. Taken negatively, he thinks crazy news stories are important.

*Silver Haired Hunter who threw her own Pokémon and a henchman in the path of a bullet...Hunter J, I guess? Interesting implications..,
It's mostly just a reference at this point, and indeed, to show how hardcore she is to have tangled with J.

A chapter with a lot of great set-up; I'm curious to learn a bit more about Ms. Kakoku, and what happened between Kallisto and Betsy-Ann, and how Nori is going to prepare for Eddie (and what happens with him and the other Gym Trainers--though the cold opening suggests little good).
Questions that will be answered soon within the month! Chapter-wise, anyway

Month 4: April of Change (third part)
April of Change (third part)
April 12th, 2015

Nori and his Pokemon trained for the entirety of Saturday, stopping only to eat, drink, and use the bathroom. On Sunday, he decided to hang out downstairs. He wanted to be around people, but not the Gym Trainers. Betsy-Ann wasn't around, so the lobby was the next best place. He mostly sat back and read the History of Competitive Battling, while letting his Pachirisu rest beside him.

Around half an hour after he went down, a blonde girl around 10 or 11 walked in. She was wearing a pleated blue skirt that reached to her knees, a white t-shirt, and blue and white jacket. "Hello!" she called out. "I'd like to challenge the Gym!"

He closed the book. "All right."

She squeed. "You're Nori Carino!"

The boy smiled. It'd been a while since he'd gotten this sort of reaction from someone, but he didn't mind it. "Yup!"

"Cute Pachirisu!" The squirrel wagged his tail, running over and allowing her to pet him. She kneeled down to do so before peering up at Nori. "Hey, can I get your autograph?" The girl jumped over the squirrel and hustled over. She dug around in her little bag for a notepad and pencil, holding them out with wide pleading eyes.

"Uh, sure!" This was...the sixth time he'd been asked for one. The first was actually before he became famous himself. It was some random person back when he was seven when he was hanging out with his former friend Claris. He scratched out a signature and handed it back to her.

"Woohoo! Thank you!" she said. "You're so awesome!"

Nori giggled, rubbing the back of his head. He had to be blushing a bit right now. "Thanks."

"So you work here? Can you take me to the Gym Leader?"

"You need to register first."

"Sure!"

He brought her over to the head receptionist. This was the first time Nori was helping someone do this, but he'd seen it done enough times to know what to do. "Hey, this girl wants to challenge the Gym."

Mrs. Stetcher was a wrinkled woman in her 50s with flowing gray hair, thick glasses over her green eyes, bright red lipstick, and large earrings. She had been working at the Sunyshore Gym even before Volkner was the Gym Leader.

"I'll have to see your trainer card." She was professional, but hardly uptight despite appearances and her formal attire. The girl handed it over. "Mona Morris, Sunyshore City. It says you've been a trainer for two months. Do you have any badges?"

"None, ma'am!"

"How many Pokemon?"

"Three! My Roselia, my Glameow, and my Shellos!"

"I see. I'll notify the Gym Trainers now."

Nori had seen this routine several times before. Mrs. Stetcher would inform them over the intercom or, if they didn't answer, call one of their phones. After which one would come by to escort them to the puzzle. Except in the event of repeat challengers, who skipped it.

To Nori's chagrin, it was Kallisto who emerged from the double doors. Mona's eyes lit up on sight of the fit teen.

"Wow! Kallisto Keravnos!"

He chuckled and flashed a smile. "That's me."

"Um, can I get your autograph, too?" She again offered the pencil and notepad.

"Sure thing." He took out a pen of his own. Nori didn't think it was possible to write one's name with pride, but the head Gym Trainer proved him wrong. "There you are!"

"Thank you!" Mona bowed in gratitude. "So do I do the puzzle now?"

"Guess you already know how things work here." She was in fact already running into the room to do so. The head Gym Trainer rolled his shoulders and glanced at Nori. "Eddie's not here, so you can hang out and watch if you want."

Nori shrugged. He may as well.

---​

True to Kallisto's word, it was just Tono and Ollie in the arena, not even any stray spectators. At least he could tolerate those two. Ollie was rude, but there was still that good inside him. Tono was cordial most of the time. And neither had done anything too bad to him. Yet, as he worried.

"This is the first challenger I've seen who's had no badges," he remarked as they were waiting.

"We have had two since the year's start," said Tono. "You have not been present for them."

"But isn't Volkner the strongest Gym Leader in Sinnoh?"

"Gym Leaders are able to adjust their teams according to the challenger's strength. Their job is to test trainers, not destroy them." He pushed up his glasses. "Although there is a hierarchy of power and ‘intended’ order based around it, that does not mean you have to follow it."

"Yeah!" the hefty teen said. Ollie gesticulated wildly as he explained, "Like, if you tried to do it in Sinnoh, you'd have to go to Eterna! Then to Pastoria! Then backtrack to Hearthome! Then go waaaaay over to Canalave!" He stretched his arms as wide as he could, laterally and then diagonally. "Then waaaaay back to Veilstone! Go to Celestic from there! Up to Snowpoint! And come down here!"

"The order of Canalave and Veilstone is subjective," his fellow Gym Trainer remarked.

"You'd still be going all over the place!"

Nori nodded. "So it's okay for her since she's new?"

"Correct. Moreso that Sunyshore is her hometown." Tono took a sip of his water. "That said, it is frowned upon to diverge too far from the order if you're not a region-native, are attempting to take the shortest path, or have another reasonable excuse. And there are some Leaders who do refuse battles with inexperienced trainers." He glanced at the door to the back. "Volkner used to, until he learned Flint accepted all challengers."

"All the Gym Leaders are really good at their type, no matter who they are!" Ollie chimed in.

"The skill differential between Volkner and Gardenia may be wide, but this does not mean the Eterna Gym Leader will make for an easy battle if you choose to face her last." He chuckled with derision. "Her choice of type notwithstanding."

The boy took all of this in. He knew the basics of the Gym challenge from classmates who talked about it, but there was so much more to it than even they seemed to realize. This was actually interesting. "You guys are doing more to teach me than Volkner these days."

"You could learn more," said Tono, "If you would simply drop your issues with us and listen occasionally."

"And I'm doing that." The boy smiled. "Occasionally, I'm looking by my issues and listening. Doesn't mean I'm letting them go."

"Fair."

"Yeah, I getcha, man."

At least these two understood. Funny, he thought, the smartest and arguably dumbest of them. Compared to Kallisto who wanted to pretend they never happened, or Eddie who was seemingly trying to aggravate the problem at every turn these days.

The challenger side door opened, Mona excitedly rushed inside. She looked up at the pillars and the balconies in awe, marveling her first time in a Pokemon Gym.

"So, did she pass?" Tono inquired for clarification.

Kallisto grinned. "With flying colors."

"So I have to fight a Gym Trainer next, right?" She pointed at Nori. "I want to battle him and his Pachirisu!"

Ollie spoke up. "Uh, you know you don't have to–"

"Nope! Want to battle him!"

"It is not–"

"But I want to battle him!" she also interrupted Tono's words. "If I can!"

Kallisto stretched and grinned. "Seems she's set on this. It's up to you, Nori."

Okay, he'd been challenged several times on exhibition day, not to mention when he wasn't in the Gym. But this was the first time a challenger had wanted to face him. He shook his head. "But I'm not a Gym Trainer. I can't battle her."

"It is no issue," Tono informed. "Under the Gym Battle Qualifying Act, any person who is a resident of a Gym may battle a trainer for evaluation purposes. That is the word used. Therefore, a literal resident is as acceptable as us, even though the spirit was to allow the likes of janitors or security guards to fill in."

So it was a loophole? If it was okay, he was fine with it. Although was he really suited to fighting a new trainer? You were supposed to just test them, not go all out, right? Pachirisu didn't know his own strength, and he wasn't sure how it'd work to hold back.

The glasses-wearing teen gave Mona a glance. "If you do not wish to," he said to Nori, "I shall. I am typically the one who handles the more inexperienced trainers."

He answered with a shrug. "Well, why not?" A bit of whimsy had struck. "Let's try this out and see."

The young girl whooped. "All right!"

"Heh, came at the right time."

Nori immediately regretted accepting. "Eddie!"

His opponent for the 20th smoothly entered the room from the right-side door, jumping onto the bleachers and lounging back on them. "Too late to back out now, kid. Let's see what you've been up to."

---​

The battle was a joke. A complete laughingstock. Mona's Roselia, named Poppy, had been hitting Pachirisu with attack after attack after attack. Yet Pachirisu endured all of them without trouble. He'd been staying away from using his Pokemon's stronger moves, but even a single Quick Attack or Electro Ball was worth three or even four attacks from the Grass and Poison type.

At one point Pachirisu landed Sweet Kiss. The tiny flowery Pokemon flailed around helplessly. They could've ended it right there, and Pachirisu almost did on instinct. Nori had to tell him to stop, and after a bit of waiting, ordered Grass Knot.

"Ugh, sorry for stringing you along," he said as soon as the attack landed, tripping and knocking Poppy to her senses. "I know, this is dumb."

"Hee! I'm having fun!" Mona said. "It's real sweet you're trying to give me a chance!"

She had to have known she'd be outmatched. So why did she challenge him? He glanced over at the Gym Trainers. Eddie and Ollie were not amused. Kallisto seemed almost embarrassed. Tono, serving as the judge, was stifling amused laughter? Nori was still self-conscious about this, but as long as his opponent didn't mind...

"Okay, Poppy!" Mona cheered. "It's time for the big one! Wrap your Vine Whip around Pachi!"

Pachirisu tried to escape this, but actually got caught. In a show of strength, Poppy lifted him into the air. The squirrel vainly struggled, looking to Nori for orders.

"Now use Magical Leaf!"

Her opponent bound, Poppy used the chance to fire off a barrage of foliage. That would've hit anyway due to being mystical glowing homing leaves.

"We almost have it!" said Mona. "Throw Pachi into the ground!"

Poppy did so. Nori sighed. Well, he couldn't just sit there and do nothing. It wasn't fair to his Pokemon, right? And he did have to make her work for it. "Pachi, Discharge."

The squirrel was dazed from being driven headfirst onto the floor, but as Poppy was going to do so again, he expelled electricity everywhere. Much of it went straight through the vines over to Poppy. The little flower Pokemon squealed and promptly collapsed on the spot.

"Poppy is unable to battle," Tono ruled with a wave of his hand, and some relief (and disappointment?) in his tone at the charade being over. "This means Nori Carino and Pachi are the winners."

Nori immediately checked on his opponent's Pokemon. Seemed fine, nothing healing couldn't cover. "Sorry," he apologized, taking a step towards the girl. "I uh, guess we still overdid it."

"Oh, that's okay!" Mona assured him. "I just wanted to tell my friends I battled my idol!"

Nori blinked. "I'm...your idol?" A bit of blood crept to his face.

"Yeah! You're close to my age, but you're an amazing trainer! I want to be just like you!" She skipped up and held out her hand. "Thanks so much for the battle!"

Trying to keep a cool facade, he shook her hand. "You're welcome."

Mona stared at her hand in amazement for several seconds afterward. She giggled and scooped up her Roselia, cradling the Pokemon in her arms. "You did great out there, Poppy! Take a good rest!" She brought the Roselia back to her ball.

"You know," Tono spoke up. "Kallisto was doing what he's doing at an even younger age."

Mona smiled cheekily. "Yes, but Nori's closer to my age now."

There was an awkward pause as the Gym Trainers exchanged glances. "Don't even think about it, kid," Eddie threatened.

"Think about what?"

A sigh. "Oblivious retard," he heard the dark-skinned teen grumble under his breath. Nori tilted his head. Was there something he wasn't getting here?

"Are you done with this?"

All six's heads turned to see an exasperated Volkner in the rear doorway. He'd evidently been watching the battle. likely just peeking out.

"You can battle me once your Pokemon are healed."

"Huh?" a confused Mona asked. "But I lost."

"A qualifier battle isn't necessary for a new trainer with no badges."

Nori was struck with realization. "Wait, this was a setup, wasn't it?!" He gave an accusing point towards the Gym Trainers. "You just wanted to see what I've been doing!"

"Enough," Volkner instantly shut him down. "None of your drama in front of challengers." He motioned to Mona, gesturing to the left-side door. "We have a healing machine. When you're ready."

She shuffled her feet. "Oh, um. I need more time! I wasn't ready to face you today, Mr. Denzi!"

The blond man pressed a palm to his face, over one eye. "Then come back when you are."

"Okay! Bye, Nori!" She waved to him. "Bye everyone! I'll be back in a couple weeks!" With this, the blonde girl skipped off whistling a tune.

"Okay, she's gone." The boy puffed and glared at Volkner. "Now, why aren't you doing your job and training me?" he demanded. "Why did you let him watch me when I can't watch him?!"

"He's free to watch Gym battles, just like you. And if that's your issue, he'll see any training we do." Volkner started to walk off to the back once more, getting in some parting words along the way. "I've taught you enough, and it's sink or swim time. I'm not taking sides."

"What about Flint!?" Nori screamed. The Gym Leader turned on a dime and sneered. "Do you want to lose to him?"

"Watch your mouth," he barked. Nori was unintimidated by his so-called teacher's sudden shift in attitude. "I've done enough for now. If you're still a fuck-up, it's not my fault."

The other Gym Trainers considered this for several moments. "When you put it that way, I understand," Tono remarked.

"Yeah, makes sense," Ollie agreed.

"I..." Kallisto hesitated, but ultimately shook his head. "I'm sorry Nori, but he has a point."

"Really?! What the hell, guys!? Okay, sure, he has a point from one point of view, but it makes no sense! He's logical, not sensible!"

They were unfettered by his words. "Eddie is training for the 20th, I suggest you keep doing the same." Volkner started turning to set out again, only to face his future opponent. "Speaking of, I want to have a talk with you in private about the battle."

The dark-skinned teen was confused, but stood up. "A'right, sure."

"Rest of you can break."

Nori stormed away. He knew a lecture was coming from Kallisto or Tono or even both, maybe all three of them with Ollie included, and he didn't want to hear any of it.

##########​

April 13th, 2015

Nori decided he needed an edge if he wanted to win next week, and knew just the way to get it. Eddie was being secretive about his training? Why not enlist the aid of someone who excels in uncovering secrets? To that end, he went to the media room during lunch to find Arumi.

He found everyone but Arumi inside. The other four were hard at work, each at their own side of the table.

"Nori!" Yuki called out. He scooted his seat aside and motioned for Nori to sit beside him.

"Hey!" he said, taking him up on the offer. The strawberry blonde male gave him a happy smile as he pulled up a chair. "Where's Arumi? And what're you guys working on?"

"She's out," Gino plainly stated. "And just a list of school news and upcoming events. Like the plans for Golden Week and how to submit ideas for any celebrations." The teen patted down a wrinkle on his clothing. "You know, nothing too out-of-scope. Things people will care about."

"That..." Nori paused. That was very specific. "...seems like a veiled jab at someone."

"Smart," Lorant spoke.

"Huh? I don't get it." Yuki didn't catch on, so Gino explained.

"A heads-up for you both. Arumi's an idiot."

Beau nodded. "She is an overly-enthusiastic cretin."

Yuki put his hands on the desk and stood. "What're you talking behind her back for?"

"You haven't had to spend two years of your life working with her," Gino grumbled.

Beau followed suit. "Her last name is the only reason she is here."

Arumi's last name, Schrader. The Joy family was the most prominent family in Japan, followed by the Jenny family. After them were the Schraders. If you tuned into any news station in Japan, you'd likely find a Schrader working there. Unlike the Joys and Jennys, conformity in their appearance wasn't a thing. But much like them, they still worked outside the country, particularly in the major regions - and in their case, especially all throughout Europe.

"And the video production teacher, Mr. Rekted, gives her all the leeway in the world as a result." The poofy-haired girl sighed.

Gino elaborated further. "Like I was saying, she has all these ideas for stories that you can hear about on the regular news. We just want to do some small-scale reports about our school and maybe our city, that's it. The things you wouldn't otherwise hear about."

"Major Drug Bust in Kalos! Forty Kilograms of Illegal Performance Enhancers Found!"

A collective groan came from the three senior members of the news club as Arumi made her grand entrance. She paraded in, holding up her phone in one hand and several sheets of printed webpages in another. She threw the papers down and pointed to the ceiling.

"That's gonna be our latest headline!"

"Gods," muttered Lorant.

"What?"

"Arumi," Gino complained. "No one wants to read about athletes doping halfway around the world."

"No, you got it all wrong! They're for Pokemon!" she clarified. This didn't seem to change much with the three senior members. "Shady drugs that steel a Pokemon's mental capacities, but degrade the mind and cause dependency with prolonged use!"

Okay, for a second there, Nori was hoping they'd be useful to him. There were so-called vitamins like ‘Carbos’ and ‘HP Up’ that were more like steroids, except legal and with no known ill-effects. But he wouldn't dare consider anything dangerous for his Pokemon.

"No one cares!" the light-brown haired teen snapped. "It's in Kalos! We're over here! This is never going to become relevant to us!"

Then again, he had a feeling Gino was right. This had nothing to do with them, and these drugs likely weren't circulating in Japan at all. Even if they were, he wouldn't go looking for them. Mostly likely, it was just Arumi spouting things again.

"But you can see it, right? Right?" The reporter girl grinned wildly and expectantly. "A lot of kids our age are into battling! We even have a battling club and junior battling team! And some people are willing to do whatever it takes to win! You can see what I'm getting at, right?"

"I can! I can!" Nori immediately put up his arm and bounced. "I definitely can!"

"See?" she pointed. "That's one! And he works at a Gym, so he'd know!"

Yuki agreed. "Well, if you say so Nori, I can see it too."

"And that's two!"

"And that teacher is going to make three." Beau buried her hands in her face. "Gods," she whined.

Gino shook his head. "Damn it, we're outvoted."

Arumi clapped, blissfully ignorant or uncaring to their distaste. Nori was leaning towards it being the former "Great! Got the whole thing in my head! We gotta start getting it ready for Wednesday!"

The three senior members looked absolutely miserable. Their faces couldn't be any longer if they were made of rubber and you stretched them. "If you have a problem, say it to her," Nori rasped.

Beau whispered back. "We have tried, on numerous occasions. Allow me to demonstrate." She cleared her throat and spoke with polite formality. "Arumi. The three of us - that being myself, Gino, and Lorant - do not wish to run this article. All we want is to run a normal, local, not sensationalized school newspaper."

"It's absolutely not going to be sensationalist!" she sharply clarified, before getting a bit of cheer back. "We can still have that other stuff, of course. But you're not thinking big enough, guys! We can start being real reporters right now if we wanted to! All we have to do is put in the effort!"

The lavender-haired girl rolled her eyes and rested their gaze on Nori, as if to say, ‘I told you so.’

"So if we're ready?" Arumi clapped and jumped into the air. "Let's get rollin'!" She twirled her fists around each other.

Begrudgingly, the three got up and set to work. Arumi approached the two boys.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, you two."

"Oh, um." He ruffled his hair. "You're welcome."

"If Nori thinks it's fine, I think it's fine too." Yuki nodded.

"Wish they had more motivation. More ambition! Used to be so much easier last year. Not to mention, my precious Sato was here!"

Nori nodded. "By the way, there's something–"

"Are we working or not?!" Gino snapped.

"Ah, yes! Yes!" Arumi hustled to join the others. "Sorry, let's talk more another time, Nor'." He got the feeling that other time wasn't going to be today. Well he was here and a member of the club, so he may as well help. He'd be the best one to add his thoughts on the subject too.

##########​

April 14th, 2015

On Tuesday, Nori had another chance to test himself in battle against a challenger. Volkner had no issue with him being an acting Gym Trainer, as long as his opponents were fine with it. And this time, Kallisto got Eddie to leave.

Diane Perlanne was an experienced trainer from Hoenn, who had made it to last year's League. She first brought out her Whiscash to face Pachirisu. Despite Nori suffering a panic attack over the use of Muddy Water, a pair of Grass Knots and two Quick Attacks brought it down, with it only managing to land that and a weak Magnitude. Her second Pokemon was her starter Sceptile, which used the battlefield's pillars to its advantage. It was able to cling to them and strike from all sorts of angles.

"Finish it off, Sceptile! Dual Chop!"

"Um, Thunder Wave?"

The light burst of electricity struck true, but didn't deter the leaping dragon-like lizard from knocking out his Pokemon with a one-two jab from the blades on its arms.

"Pachirisu can't continue," Volkner ruled.

The boy sighed. "Sorry, Pachi. All right." He went and collected his Pokemon, and letting the squirrel recuperate beside him. "It's your turn, my Demon."

"Hold on!" Diane protested as the teal monster appeared with a roar. "That's no Electric type!"

"It's my only other Pokemon."

"You don't have any others?!"

"I don't."

"I came here ready to fight Electric types, not Poison types!"

"Quit bitching, bitch!" Ollie shouted from the stands. "You said you'd fight him!"

Tono piled on. "Perhaps if you were more flexible in regards to the unexpected, you would have finished higher than top 64 in the Hoenn League." Nori blinked at this. Did he look her up, or something?

The challenger clenched her teeth and glared at the Gym Leader. "Settle down, you two," he told them. "But they're right. In Sinnoh, Gyms being restricted to a single type is only an informal rule. You either lost to his Pachirisu, or you'll face the Demon."

"Fine," she grumbled. The boy wasn't sure how to feel about this. At least, besides being some of the reasons why he hated overly competitive types.

---​

The battle did not go as Diane anticipated. While Nori was concerned about her Pokemon's speed, that simple last-second paralysis turned the tide. With this, the Demon easily overwhelmed her Pokemon. The battle ended when she tried to have Sceptile escape by clinging to a pillar, only for it to seize up and fall off into a Poison Jab.

"Dammit!" she cursed. "Sorry, Sceptile. Rest up for now." The redheaded girl started muttering to herself. "How could I lose?"

"Not bad. But not acceptable," said Volkner, dryly. "Come challenge us again when you're better prepared."

Diane nodded and crossed her arms. "I will be. But I'm fighting a real Gym Trainer next time."

Volkner conceded this, seeing the challenger off with a wave. As soon as she had left the arena through the right-side door, Ollie chortled.

"Hey, Volkner! If she makes it, you should use Ambipom!"

"I will be."

The Gym Leader left for the back, leaving the four of them to chat. The first one to speak was Ollie, who bounded over to Nori with energy.

"You whooped her ASS, man!" the hefty teen complimented. "How'd she even get to the Hoenn League, anyway?"

"Were you not paying attention?" Tono asked, annoyed. "She was caught off-guard. She was not expecting the obvious, that Nori Carino would be using the Demon. Her Sceptile's speed advantage was neutralized, and it was swiftly overpowered." He shook his head in derision. "I took a moment to look her up." He actually did?! "That was also how she was defeated in the Hoenn League. An unusual Pokemon paralyzing her starter."

"It can be difficult for some trainers to adapt to the unexpected," Kallisto remarked, before turning his attention to Nori. "Very nicely done, Nori. You're definitely getting better."

He scowled. Why was he acting so chummy? "Stop acting like things are the same between us."

The glasses-wearing teen rolled his eyes. "Real mature. He is simply complimenting you. There is no need for hostility."

Ignoring that, the boy continued, "So will you be stomping her next time? She did make it to the League before, after all."

The other two looked to Kallisto. They were actually inquisitive about it, wondering the same thing! And why wouldn't he? She beat all the Gyms of Hoenn and made it to the League! Certainly perfect Kallisto Keravnos battling material, right?

"No," he said, shaking his head. "I think I'll let one of you have this one."

"How about Eddie?!" suggested Ollie. "So both of 'em could fight her!"

"Seems reasonable enough." Tono tapped his chin. "Although I suspect she might want to challenge either myself or you for our comments during the battle."

"Too bad we decide who fights who! Hahaha!"

As they were plotting, Nori took the chance to walk away and head upstairs. He couldn't stand being around them sometimes. He once again found himself wishing he could hang out with a friend like Lux, or at least one of the people from the news club. If only he was allowed to stay after school...

Last edited:
For a second, I thought the receptionist's name was Stretcher instead of Stetcher. Kind of got a laugh there. Anyway, it's nice to see Nori gaining some battle experience from battling other trainers. That Mona girl is cute. I do kind of wish we could see more of her, as she's peppy and enthusiastic and clearly likes Nori. And wow, I have to admit, I was not expecting Ollie and Tono acknowledging that Nori is understandably still uncomfortable around them due to their having beaten him up a while ago. Yeah, one of them was still a hypocrite about it, but Nori called them out and they shut up. Progress! Small progress, but any progress is better than no progress at all! But I'm still not holding my breath.

Too bad Volkner won't do the same. "If you're still a screw up, it's not my fault." Uh, yes it is, dude! You expect perfection out of Nori and don't even help him when your gym trainers are abusing him any chance they get or when they feel like doing so! God, Volkner seriously needs a reality check, pronto. I'm calling glass houses on him. The contrast between the environments of both the Sunyshore Gym and Nori's club is very stark, and the latter is clearly the better of the two. The News Club do have their issues with Arumi, and in stark contrast to the Sunyshore Gym, not only are their issues much more valid, but they actually do try to make an effort to explain things to her and criticize her methods in a way that is meant to be helpful and constructive, not in ways that put her down or demean her. Granted, most of the trainers' issues with Nori do have validity, but the ways they go about trying to get Nori to learn are not only unhelpful, but extremely toxic and bordering on abusive, similar to hazing. To be honest, I'm kind of hoping the News Club will do a piece on the Sunyshore Gym and exposing them for all they did to Nori. Arumi could get her juicy news story, the trainers and leader would get their comeuppance, and Nori would be free from that hellhole.

Anyway, another good chapter like always! Great job!

*It's nice that someone is happy to see Nori.
*Three months of experience, no badges ,challenging Volkner.
...well, time to see if the "Gym Leaders scale themselves based off badge numbers" thing from some Pokémon works is canon to this fic!
*"And neither had done anything too bad to him. Yet, as he worried."
A lad after my own heart.
*And Tono confirms "Gym Leader scaling". Nice to know.
*Enjoying the little joke about Platinum changing the Gym order.
*Hmmm, wonder what Volkner wanted to talk to Eddie about...
*So Arumi is trying to push the News Club into covering major events and a bunch of the others want them to handle smaller, more local affairs? Interesting little conflict, there.
*A nice little refernece to DP's odd Gym/E4 selections.
*""Hey, Volkner! If she makes it, you should use Ambipom!"

"I will be."
Heh. Volkner has a sense of humor afterall?

Good chapter. I'm glad Nori is getting some practical battle experience, and even against a League tier opponent.

For a second, I thought the receptionist's name was Stretcher instead of Stetcher. Kind of got a laugh there. Anyway, it's nice to see Nori gaining some battle experience from battling other trainers.
Practical experience is the only way to get better sometimes. Stretcher makes her sound like a wrestler, heh. Though unlike all the mostly generic teachers in the fic, her name is not a pun.

That Mona girl is cute. I do kind of wish we could see more of her, as she's peppy and enthusiastic and clearly likes Nori.
She said she'd be back in a couple weeks! :D

And wow, I have to admit, I was not expecting Ollie and Tono acknowledging that Nori is understandably still uncomfortable around them due to their having beaten him up a while ago. Yeah, one of them was still a hypocrite about it, but Nori called them out and they shut up. Progress! Small progress, but any progress is better than no progress at all! But I'm still not holding my breath.
*"And neither had done anything too bad to him. Yet, as he worried."
A lad after my own heart.
He actually doesn't know it was them, or at least which of them it was. The only person he saw attacking him was Kallisto. He knew at least one other of them did, but between his memory being hazy and blaming Kallisto, he might even think he made them do it. And even more ironically, blames Eddie when he was the only one who DIDN'T.

Too bad Volkner won't do the same. "If you're still a screw up, it's not my fault." Uh, yes it is, dude! You expect perfection out of Nori and don't even help him when your gym trainers are abusing him any chance they get or when they feel like doing so! God, Volkner seriously needs a reality check, pronto. I'm calling glass houses on him.
As was mentioned in the last chapter, he's pretty much given up at this point - perhaps on himself.

The News Club do have their issues with Arumi, and in stark contrast to the Sunyshore Gym, not only are their issues much more valid, but they actually do try to make an effort to explain things to her and criticize her methods in a way that is meant to be helpful and constructive, not in ways that put her down or demean her.
Of coruse most of it tends to bounce off her, heh.

Granted, most of the trainers' issues with Nori do have validity, but the ways they go about trying to get Nori to learn are not only unhelpful, but extremely toxic and bordering on abusive, similar to hazing.
I actually did describe their actions as hazing in the original description of the fic. I ended up changing it when the nature of the characters changed as I mentioned in the notes, but it's certainly still abusive and - in Eddie's case - similar to hazing.

To be honest, I'm kind of hoping the News Club will do a piece on the Sunyshore Gym and exposing them for all they did to Nori. Arumi could get her juicy news story, the trainers and leader would get their comeuppance, and Nori would be free from that hellhole.
It is a fun thought to think about! And a strong possibility that both Arumi and the News Club could agree upon...

*It's nice that someone is happy to see Nori.
Of course a popular person would have fans. Mona was a fun breath of fresh air!

*And Tono confirms "Gym Leader scaling". Nice to know.
I personally don't see why it shouldn't be a thing, given how they go all out in the GS postgame and not to mention all their rematch teams. Of course the bit about some not doing so references the likes of Norman.

*Enjoying the little joke about Platinum changing the Gym order.
That was more reference to how Maylene/Wake could be challenged in any order. Gasha/Byron are about equal strength here. It's also a dig at how all over the place travels can end up being.

*So Arumi is trying to push the News Club into covering major events and a bunch of the others want them to handle smaller, more local affairs? Interesting little conflict, there.
More or less the gist of it.

*A nice little refernece to DP's odd Gym/E4 selections.
This is what happens when you only put two Fire types in the game and put in a late game Fire type expert. I imagine that for personal balance reasons they have others, and it's not like it's the same in other canons either: like Brock in the anime, or Jasmine's Ampharos.

*""Hey, Volkner! If she makes it, you should use Ambipom!"

"I will be."
Heh. Volkner has a sense of humor afterall?
Make no mistake, he was replying completely seriously there, even if Ollie was suggesting it in a joking manner. He fully intends to throw Ambipom at Diane to see if she actually listened to what he said about Sinnoh Gyms not being strict on types.

Good chapter. I'm glad Nori is getting some practical battle experience, and even against a League tier opponent.
The second battle is actually the first hint of something very subtle about Nori.

Month 4: April of Change (fourth part)
April of Change (fourth part)
April 15th, 2015

In the morning at around 8am, Nori and his Pokemon were hard at work in the training room. He was squeezing in as much practice and exercise as possible. His Pokemon needed to be in top form before they faced Eddie.

The door suddenly opened. "What are you still doing here?" a hostile Volkner asked.

"Training." He didn't so much as spare the Gym Leader a glance.

"You need to get to school."

"I know how long it takes to get to school walking."

"Get moving in case there's delays."

"When I'm ready. I'm training."

The Gym Leader threw up his arms. "Fine. I don't care."

He slammed the door and left them in peace, but this only served to anger Nori further. He was the one who said they had to work their hardest at training! And now he was complaining when they were doing just that?!

"Grr, Quick Attack! Hit the bag over and over!" With a measure of fear, Pachirisu obeyed. He repeatedly sideswiped it, passed to the other side, and struck it again. "And you, parkour!" The Demon had no problem with this or his tone, being just as laser focused as her trainer. "Ten minutes left! We need as much training before the 20th!" They needed to get stronger! Level up as much as they could! That was the only way they were beating Eddie!

---​

In contrast to the last time Nori entered the video production room at lunch, when he walked in that Wednesday, it was just Arumi and nobody else.

"Hey, Nor'!" She leaped out of her chair, running over with a newspaper. "Check out the national news!" she said, holding it out. "Joyous Elopement! Evette Ties the Knot Against Parents' Wishes!"

He blinked. "Er, okay?" He gave the start of the article a quick skim. A member of the Joy family in Johto who was a Pokemon trainer instead of a Pokemon nurse had married her traveling companion from three years back, and moved to Galar with him. "This is news? It seems more like a tabloid."

"Oh, it gets better!" she said, flipping the paper over and pointing at a mugshot. It showed a woman with disheveled pink hair and green eyes. "Here's the part that made it national news! Her mom got arrested! She had the meltdown of a lifetime, right in her Pokemon Center!"

Nori read a little more of the article, properly this time. "Why's it such a big deal?" he concluded at the end. "Why can't people be who they want and marry who they want?"

"I know, right?! Like, expectations are a thing, but you can't be too uptight about it!" Arumi grinned. Too true, Nori thought. "One thing's for sure, I'm not going to end up like her!"

"Like the mom?"

"Like the daughter!"

Nori tilted his head. "You don't want to get married?"

"I do want to say I do!" Arumi giggled at her wordplay. She clasped her palms together. "My sweet Sato...he's everything I aspire to be. He's so dreamy...but he's a year older than me, so he's at the senior school this year."

For a while, Nori was wondering if there was something there. Guess not, she was interested in somebody else. It was a small relief, actually. Sure, he wanted to spite Kallisto, but he wasn't sure what he'd do if Arumi was into him.

"Anyway, I'm not going to be like Evette Joy! I'm going to do my best to live up to my family name!"

He nodded. "Just don't push yourself too hard trying to be something you're not." He could get if Arumi wanted to do that, but hardly blamed that Joy for wanting to get away from expectations. Especially from parents who still nagged you when you were an adult. Nori paused, handing the paper back to her. "That said, what's this story have to do with us? I know the others will probably get on your case about it."

"Nothing, I just wish I could find a story like this to report on myself. A story of my own, not something I'm repeating from others!" She chuckled. "Being a Schrader's not easy! You have to have a reporter's image, and you need the credit to back it up! That means being in the right place at the right time to find the perfect story you need to live up to your name! And let's not talk about how hard it is to be the first one to report on something! But doesn't matter what it takes, I'm going to find one someday!"

"It sounds like you want to be a journalist," he remarked.

"Of course I do!"

"But aren't your family reporters? As in, the people who tell you the news, not find it?"

"Hey, you can be both!"

Made sense. Nori wasn't sure why, but he suddenly recalled an incident from a couple months ago. "Hey, here's something. A couple months ago, I heard of this old sea dog–"

No sooner had those last words come out of his mouth did Arumi hold out her palms. "No way!" She shook her head. "Nuh-uh! Not that desperate for a story!"

The boy blinked. What was so scary about that guy? Sure, he looked like he walked out of a horror movie, but the stories had to be ridiculously exaggerated. Why not find out the truth behind him? Since no one else seemed to know? And since it was local, wouldn't the others be into the idea as well?

That was it! Nori thought of something else. Local and juicy! He couldn't help but smirk deviously about it. "Well, how about Kallisto Keravnos, then?"

"What about him?" Arumi curiously asked.

"What if I told you he was a jackass?"

"I'd laugh and say, nice one! Everyone knows all the good Kallisto's done. His altruism and charity work have been well-documented. A jerk wouldn't do those things!" She smiled. "If you told me that, of course."

The boy sighed, plopping down in a chair. He should've known better than to expect anything different. Of course, he'd forgotten that Kallisto is perfect. How could he do those things to Nori? Even for someone like Arumi who dabbled in finding all sorts of bizarre news stories, it had to come across as absurd.

The reporter girl patted him on the back. "Hey. I get ya. Know he can be harsh! Like, I personally know. Got lectured by him for my conduct a couple times. But it's his way of looking out for others. He means well, don't take it too hard."

She didn't know the real Kallisto. "Well," he started. "What if he was secretly really a jackass and no one realized it?"

Arumi took pause. She sat across from him, giving it serious thought. "Well that's a tricky one," she said, devoid of her usual bravado. "Just someone saying that's the case isn't enough. Especially when dealing with a reputable person like him. Without real proof, that'd be libel. At best. Plus you'd have people tripping over themselves coming to his defense, even with the proof."

"That's what Volkner said..." the boy said with a defeated sigh. Proof. It made sense. The club stated you needed to cite your sources in articles, which is a kind of proof. So it'd be one's word against another's. He may have been the Demon Tamer, but compared to Kallisto? He was nothing.

"There's a lot I don't know about reporting." The boy glanced away. "Or Kallisto."

Arumi clapped her hands. "Well, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about either!"

The reporter girl lived in Sunyshore for her whole life, as far as Nori was aware. And she was a huge newshound who frequented the Gym. Arumi undoubtedly knew Kallisto well. If anyone could tell him about a weakness in the head Gym Trainer's armor, it'd be her.

"Tell me about Kallisto's love life."

Nori blurted that question out. He quickly glanced away. Arumi whistled, chuckling. "Oh-ho! Starting out with a spicy one! Didn't think you were the gossipy type, Nor'! You and I are gonna get along just fine!" She reached over the table and patted him on the shoulder.

It wasn't gossip. But, well. Since Kallisto's lack of any was what led him to attack Nori, the boy figured he may as well learn the context. And from her reaction, Arumi knew about it.

"Okay! So! Lots of girls and even a couple boys have confessed to him, but he's turned them all down. A cheerleader named Chasity at Gama High's been making a persistent effort, that said. She's gotten him to have lunch with her one weekend, further than anyone else's gotten. That aside, he's been staying single. Or so he says. There's rumors floating about he's dating someone in another region, or even his cousin."

"He said to me he's not dating anyone. And, I believe him." Arumi actually took out a notepad and jotted that statement down. "I guess tangentially, what do people think of the other Gym Trainers? Or his other friends?"

"He mostly hangs out with them and sometimes his cousin, don't know about anyone else. Tono Takuma's his best friend, and the captain of the battling team at the senior school, what with Kallisto stepping back from that. People think he's haughty, but a good, reliable person. Edward Hankstein's got an unpleasant personality. You'll find few who like the guy, but everyone respects his skill with Pokemon."

Arumi paused before getting to the last one. "As for Ollie Gooch..." She twirled a finger and shrugged. "Well. Long story there. People admire his dedication, at least? People are surprised Kallisto forgave and puts up with him."

"Forgave him?" Okay, now she was talking interesting info. "For what? I know he's had a rough history at the Gym, but never heard what besides being bullied by Tono and Eddie."

"I didn't hear the specifics," the reporter girl stated, and with this Nori deflated. Maybe it was kept private. "But Ollie was even worse two years ago when he first joined the Gym. I heard there was a big public argument between him and Kallisto in December 2013 that changed things, but I couldn't dig up what led to it." She shook her head at herself. "He's gotten better since then, but he used to have a bad reputation as having a big ego and nothing to back it up. Ever run into those?"

That wasn't very specific, but it was enough for now. As for Arumi's question, he answered, "A wannabe bully called Spike Caras, I guess."

"I heard about that! What happened between you two?"

"Long story, I'll tell you later." He'd want to go into full detail, from how they met, to how they became enemies over Lux, to the incident at the water park, and how he conked the bully with his cast. "I guess for now in short he's an enemy of mine, but how about Kallisto's enemies? Rivals?"

"Well, he has his detractors, sure. But he hasn't paid them much heed. Hasn't had to, none of them have been serious. As for rivals, that's tough to say. Skill-wise, Kallisto's in a league of his own. Hard to find any casual trainer who compares to him. But I can think of three."

"Who are they?"

"First, Haruna Okazaki, a member of the battling team at the high school." That name had come up once or twice in conversation before, but Nori hadn't thought anything of it. "She felt she was in Kallisto's shadow until he stepped back. She's come close to beating him, but never has. These days she's more a rival to Tono, between how he rejected her and how she feels his captain position's undeserved."

"Tono rejected her?" Nori asked, muffling a laugh.

"Sure did! Didn't say why, either. That really got her going! Uh, in the wrong way."

Nori knew full well why, but decided not to say just yet.

"Second, there's the last person to defeat Kallisto in a Gym qualifier, two years back. One Ivan Turgenev. It was clear-cut too, although some of it was attributed to Kallisto feeling off that day." Of course they'd make an excuse like that. Didn't Kallisto say his last loss came when someone used a Mightyena against him? "He's openly spoke about wanting a rematch with Ivan someday."

Nori nodded. Maybe he could use the internet to look that guy up? He sounded Russian, probably a traveling trainer. "And the third?"

Arumi drummed her fingers on the desk. "Well, I want to stress that this one's just a rumor. But there was someone early in his Gym Trainer career who barely beat him. It was a close match. It came down to one mistake on Kallisto's part, though some say it was a lucky hit."

"Someone he lost to that he felt he didn't deserve to?" Was he getting that right? Arumi confirmed this with a thumbs up. "Do you know the person's name?"

"I think it was something like Calix Blomgren?"

"Wait, WHAT?! Blomgren?!"

A nod. "Yuppers."

"My friend was Lux Blomgren!"

"Huh." Arumi leaned back. "Small world, eh?"

"Do you think he knew?"

"Maybe he did! Maybe he didn't! Either way, if he has a grudge, I doubt it'd extend to a relative."

Nori had to admit, she was probably right. Lux did say his brother fought Kallisto in the past and had trouble with him. But if Kallisto knew, he would've said something about it. Or would he have? Nori couldn't shake the thought. Did Kallisto do something to make Lux's parents move? No, no, it sounded crazy. Yet he could see Kallisto doing it for the right reasons, at least, right in his own mind.

"Anyhoo," Arumi continued. "Kallisto was resentful for a while after that battle. He tried to get a rematch out of Calix, but was turned down by him and Volkner. He went into a months-long slump, and eventually ended up taking a sabbatical to train with his cousin. It's still a sore spot for him, one that Haruna likes to remind him of. And it all started with that one loss."

"I see." That was not a connection he was expecting to learn about today. He wished more than ever Lux was here to ask him about it. Nor did he ever imagine Kallisto having a losing streak. But, his next question. "Does Kallisto have any big supporters?"

"Does he ever! His cousin's a big one. All the Leagues are too. He's expected to become a Champion, easy, and all the regions of Japan want him to represent them. A few foreign regions have reached out too, particularly Galar. Even the Officials have their eye on him. They tried to recruit him to the International Police, but he turned them down."

Arumi had been coming through with every question he'd been asking. One thing kept standing out from her answers, however. "You keep bringing up this cousin of his. I know he's from a family known for battling. Are they someone big?"

"Don't you know? Wait, never mind. Guess you wouldn't be asking if you did, huh?" Arumi chuckled, dramatically pausing for effect. "She's his second cousin, and she's only the Champion of Sinnoh, Cynthia Carolina!"

"What the hell?" Nori squeaked out. Her? He was related to the frigging Champion? When he heard Kallisto came from a prestigious family of trainers, he wasn't expecting actual top-level relatives! And her of all people! The stupidly promiscuous Sinnoh Champion! This was insane! What the HELL was going on here?

"My turn!" Arumi chimed in with a giggle as he was processing what he'd heard. "You're trying to dig up dirt on him, aren't you?"

Nori recoiled, but reluctantly confirmed this.

"I knew it! Why's that? You jealous of him? Don't worry, off the record. Stays between us friends." She compounded it with a wink and lip-sealing motion.

Nori trusted her to keep quiet, but glanced around the room. It was still just them. To be extra sure, he leaned in and whispered. "He broke my arm."

"Huh?" It was now Arumi's turn to be struck dumb. She was silent for five seconds before stammering, "A-are you sure?"

"Last month. He and his friends told me not to date any girls because Kallisto isn't dating anyone." After a second, he added, "Probably why Tono rejected Haruna, by the way." The braided-haired girl vacantly nodded, leaning forward. "So I told them off, and they attacked me from behind. Last thing I saw before I was knocked out was Kallisto's hair."

His vision was blurry, sure, but two-toned orange and pink. Kallisto had a distinct appearance. There was no mistaking that it was him, not one of the others. Though there had been two people kicking him, and he strongly suspected it was Kallisto and Eddie.

Arumi remained silent for half a minute. Nori had known her to be a motormouth, so it was unnerving. "What?" he eventually asked.

"I'm trying to think why you'd lie about that."

"I'm not lying!" he snapped.

"I know," she said. "I don't see why you would. But like I said, you'd need proof. Right now it'd be your word against his. And with him, a lot of people might take his side if they knew anyway."

"But if I could prove it, that'd be your big scoop, right?" He laughed. "Plus I'd get back at him!"

"Mmmmm...well, your arm's fine now, right? No need to worry about it." Nori tried to voice protests, but Arumi made her discomfort perfectly clear. "I don't want to get involved in this. At least not right now."

Not right now. At least, there was hope. "I get it," he begrudgingly accepted. He couldn't blame her, especially with what she said about people jumping to his defense. "Thanks for the info, Arumi."

She smiled. "No prob, Nor'. Just try not to rock the boat too hard. Don't want to make the news for the wrong reasons, after all."

"I know."

The door opened, and the rest of the club started to file in. "We're back," announced Gino.

All of them were carrying stacks of papers. "We have the printed copies of our latest newsletter ready for distribution," said Beau.

"Great, guys!" Arumi jumped to her feet. "Thanks! Let's get to it, team!"

Nori, still sitting, asked, "I still have one more question for you."

"Sure, Nor'! We'll chat more after school!"

"It's real fast." He hadn't forgotten why he came here. "Can you spy on Edward Hankstein for me? He's been watching some of my training, but they won't let me watch any of his. Some intel would help before I battle him. Or even just what you know of his battle strategies."

"Sorry, I'm really gonna be busy the next few days. I'd do it if I could!"

He put his head down on the desk, resting on his hands. There went that idea.

Yuki trotted up and gave encouragement. "I know you can win no matter what, Nori!"

"Easy for you to say," he remarked to the strawberry blond boy. He turned to Arumi. "Thanks anyway." It was a long-shot anyway, but what he learned about Kallisto today was even better. That was, if he could make it by Eddie on the 20th. None of it would matter otherwise.

##########​

April 17th, 2015

"Hey, Ms. Kakoku."

Friday came, and therefore, so did Nori's second day of Officials' training. The one-eyed woman was all business as she marched up the stairs of the strange unfurnished side-room.

"Did you do the homework I assigned?" she immediately asked.

The boy glanced away, sheepishly. "As much as I could. Didn't finish all of it, sorry."

"You had all week."

"I didn't have time, okay!" he protested. "I had homework for a lot of classes."

"I didn't sign up for this, and I sure as hell don't want to bother if you're going to slack."

"But there's just so much! With everything! I can't keep up with it all!" His stress had been building, bubbling over the surface over the past two days, ever since he learned Arumi couldn't help him. It was all coming out now. "I've been trying to prioritize, mostly on the Gym. I have to face Eddie on the 20th. I have to win, or else Volkner's going to rule me a lost cause. I told you that! I've been trying to focus on training, so I haven't had time to study."

His teacher waited for him to finish, and said simply, "It means you haven't been making good use of your time."

"Well, can't you help me train?"

"That's the blond rat's job. Mine is to teach you what you'll need as an Official."

"Well he isn't doing a very good job of it!" He paused, and added, "Actually, no. He hasn't been doing it at all!"

"Not my problem." She dropped a paper on the table. "A test on the law material from last week. I hope you've been keeping up."

---​

There was nothing to do but do it. Nori tried to put his stress behind him and do the test. At least he was able to focus for the forty or so minutes it took. After he finished, Ms. Kakoku spent about fifteen minutes grading it.

"So...?" he hesitatingly spoke up as she came to the end. "Did I do okay?"

She threw it down. "A solid B."

That was the smallest of reliefs. As long as he could keep up with the tests, he'd be fine. "By the way, sorry for asking again. But could you please help me train for the battle? I'm sure you know a few things Volkner doesn't. And if I can't win, well, it doesn't matter how good I do here."

"Later," she dismissed. She reached into her bag and dropped a history textbook on the table. "Start on chapter 1 of this. And after break, we're going to start physical training."

"Okay?" Nori flipped open the book. It was a condensed version of the entire history of Japan. He got to reading it.

---​

After break, they went outside. The physical training turned out to be running around the sports fields. Nori asked if she was looking for speed, but she just said to run laps until she said to stop. That's fine, the boy thought. He could pace himself that way.

He sprinted for the first lap to show off, but went to a quick jog beyond that. After three laps, he spoke up as he passed by. The one-eyed woman was only watching, not even with a stopwatch or anything. "Done yet?"

She shook her head. "Not yet."

---​

After three more laps, he again asked, "Done yet?"

"No."

"How many more?" he asked as he ran by. Ms. Kakoku didn't answer.

---​

The boy slowed down after a couple more laps. He was athletic, sure, but not a marathon runner. Plus he hadn't had a run like this in months; the most he'd been able to do was work out in the Gym. His jog had become less vigorous.

"How long?" he asked, when break had ended and he was still going.

"Until you get tired."

"Really?" he rasped, staring at her in disbelief. But, he kept going.

---​

He kept going and going. Eventually he lost track of how long he had been running and how many laps he had done. He stopped for a moment to catch his breath.

"Keep going," Ms. Kakoku ordered, right away.

"I'm too tired."

"You can still go."

The boy shook his head. "Fine..." he reluctantly conceded.

---​

It continued with no end in sight. Nori had to slow down considerably, to where he was just walking. It was starting to get painful. Every step felt like he was walking barefoot on burning nails. His legs barely felt there. His heart was vainly beating against his chest. It was starting to hurt to so much as breathe. He hadn't even been given any fluids.

Finally, he reached his absolute limit. With a determined squint, Nori forced himself to finish the remaining lap in a jog. Promptly, his legs gave out. He toppled over, struggling to catch his breath. His throat was so dry. It hurt so bad he was crying involuntarily.

Ms. Kakoku stood over him. "Come on."

"No more!" he begged. "Can't...go on."

"You can still go."

Nori tried to stand, but even moving his arms was too much. His legs felt like they were being sawed off, and even that little bit of exertion wasted precious oxygen.

"I physically can't!"

"When you throw up, we'll call it."

"What?" Was crying not enough?!

"Keep moving."

"No!"

"Now."

"I'm...not...throwup! So...screw! Off!" Nori defiantly threw up not one, but two middle fingers at his Official teacher. At that moment, the school bell rang. "There! The bell! I win!" The boy tried to laugh, but started wheezing instead. Still out of breath, all his limbs still hurting, still begging for a drink.

"Hmph." Rin Kakoku shook her head, standing over him and looking down. "You're a waste of Official resources as you are."

"What's...with the insults?!" the boy growled, managing to roll and push himself up into a sitting position, although needing to use his hands and elbows for support..

"That was a compliment," she nonchalantly remarked. Finally, she reached into her bag and threw a bottle of water at him. Nori wasted no time unscrewing the lid and downing nearly the entire bottle in one swig. "You threw off my lesson plan by lasting this long. Study chapters 2-3 of the history book."

She started to leave. Nori muttered in irritation. What was the point of this?

Without turning around, Ms. Kakoku added one more thing. "Oh, and I'll be watching on Monday. Good luck." With those genuine words, she left, leaving the boy to recover on the grass.

---​

Nori had to walk home after school instead of using his skateboard. He was feeling the aches and pains all throughout his afternoon class, and didn't want to chance it. It was bad enough that he was tempted to ask Kallisto for a ride back, but he'd already left by the time Nori got outside.

When he finally arrived back at the Gym, he spotted the head Gym Trainer in the parking lot. The heterochromic teenager was on his skateboard, performing to a group of three kids and an adult male, He was dexterously moving around, weaving between parked vehicles and making sharp turns with the aid of lampposts, while performing kickflips and other stunts. When he spotted Nori, he kicked the board up and waved to him.

"You took long," he remarked. "Did something happen?"

Nori clutched his legs, the cramps catching up with him after that walk. "It's because of my Official teacher," he explained. He figured he should explain it to someone besides Volkner. "She made me run laps until I couldn't. She wanted to make me go until I threw up, until the bell stopped her." He leaned against a car for support. "I'm still hurting."

The head Gym Trainer nodded. "Smart that you didn't ride you skateboard back, in that case."

The three kids gasped in surprise. The two boys were obviously twins, probably around six or seven, the girl appeared to be their younger sister. All had light brown hair and green eyes.

"Whoa!"

"Cool!"

"You mean you skate too, Mr. Nori?" asked the girl.

"M-Mr. Nori?!"

Kallisto laughed. "Kids, huh?" He turned to them. "A little skateboarding advice. Don't skate when you're hurt. You might fall and hurt yourself more. It's the number two rule, I'd say."

"What's the number one?" asked one of the twins.

"Look where you want to skate. Don't get distracted and look elsewhere. It just takes one second to wipe out."

"Who are these kids, and why are you even out here?" Nori asked. He didn't particularly care, but he was curious. It was unusual to see Kallisto outside the Gym during hours without any of his friends.

"A challenger stopped by right after school. She's battling Tono right now." He tapped his chin, smiling warmly to himself. "Her kids were happy to meet me. They actually fans of my skateboarding. It's rare to meet people who are into that side of me, so I figured, hey! Why not make their day by putting on a show for them?"

The boy sighed. He wanted to find a reason to badmouth Kallisto, but he couldn't. There was nothing bad to say about entertaining some little kids.

"So is that their dad?" Nori asked, gesturing to the adult.

"He just came to gawk." Kallisto shrugged. "Volkner's been waiting for you, he didn't seem too happy."

He sighed. "I know." Of course, it was because he was so late. He had a good reason, but the Gym Leader probably wouldn't care.

"Want me to come in and help mediate?"

"Don't bother, don't stop on account of me." He could explain it himself, and if Volkner didn't care, well, Kallisto wouldn't have been able to help either.

##########
=========
##########

Cynthia's last name is taken from her grandmother in the anime. And yes, that lore was just dumped. I actually removed a joke about the Gym Trainers looking at magazines - which was the original ORIGINAL reason they attacked Nori - until their concept change. It puts a statement of Ollie's in M3-4 in context, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom