• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MATURE: Nori Carino: Official In-Training [COMPLETE!!]

I wanted to review this Wednesday, but I got almost no sleep the prior night and was not in peak reviewing condition. On Thursday I was catching up with what I couldn't do on Tuesday. Better late than never, though.
*Something about a Nurse Joy freaking out over their daughter's elopement and getting arrested is deeply disturbing, yet also oddly comedic.
*Definitely still getting Old Man Marley vibes from the sailor.
*Lol, Nori hoping to reveal the truth about Kallisto out to Arumi.
*Aaaand denied, but even if she won't believe him she may prove a useful source of intelligence for Nori (or exposition for the reader ;)).
*Hmmm, so something happened between Ollie and Kallisto that led to Ollie changing...
*So this Calix fellow is Lux's brother that left, I'm guessing.
*Haha, oh dear. Cynthia is Kallisto's cousin. I recall you mentioning Nori's disliking her was going to have a payoff...
*And when it's someone 90% of the world loves Arumi is suddenly a bit less gung-ho about publishing a big scoop. To be fair at her age that could be social suicide.
*Training to be an official seems pretty extreme so far. If this were not the Pokémon world I'd suggest twelve years old is a bit young for it. I guess Sparta existed, though.

Not a ton to say again. It's a good chapter and we learned some interesting things I'm sure will come into play later, but in a lot of ways it feels like a slow build up to April 20.

Damn that blackout for cutting off my internet and rendering me unable to review this. Anyway, sorry for the delay! Sure didn't expect Kallisto to be related to Cynthia of all people. Normally, in other stories like this, giving someone like Kallisto all these famous relations and the tragic backstory that he has would make him come off as awfully Gary Stu-ish, but you manage to mitigate this by still giving Kallisto some character flaws, and having the point of the story being Nori dealing with toxic trainers who don't necessarily have his best interests at heart, or if they do, are going about it in the wrong ways. Plus, Arumi actually does have valid points when it comes to exposing Kallisto for what he really is and what he did to Nori. If Nori doesn't have solid proof that he and the others broke his arm, his name could get dragged through the mud. Good on you for having Arumi not only be smart enough to know when just going all in isn't going to work, and showing that even she has lines she doesn't want to cross. It gives her more depth than just being an overly enthusiastic genki girl who's just there to scream and annoy people.

I'm also curious as to Ollie's history at the gym that Arumi mentioned. What exactly was his beef with Kallisto before Nori came to the gym? Considering Ollie was Eddie's personal punching bag before Nori came along, I wouldn't be surprised if the gym trainers did bad stuff to him like they did with Nori. If Ollie wasn't so intent on following the crowd and bullying Nori to sate his own insecurity and not be Eddie's punching bag again, I could see him and Nori becoming friends because of what they had to deal with. I do also wonder why the teacher made Nori run around the field lots of times and why she's so strict. Anyway, another good chapter as always! Great job!

I wanted to review this Wednesday, but I got almost no sleep the prior night and was not in peak reviewing condition. On Thursday I was catching up with what I couldn't do on Tuesday. Better late than never, though.
Stuff happens. See: what happened with Juliko, what happened with my internet.

*Something about a Nurse Joy freaking out over their daughter's elopement and getting arrested is deeply disturbing, yet also oddly comedic.
It's another fic reference. Partially. This was actually a different reference, but I changed it due to timeline stuff. Not all Joys are like that of course. It was also partially a point for Arumi to bring up that she definitely wants to live up to her family name - "Ms. Overcompensation" indeed.

*Lol, Nori hoping to reveal the truth about Kallisto out to Arumi.
*Aaaand denied, but even if she won't believe him she may prove a useful source of intelligence for Nori (or exposition for the reader ;)).
Indeed, a lot of this chapter is a lore dump about Kallisto.

*So this Calix fellow is Lux's brother that left, I'm guessing.
The name was brought up in the Gaiden chapter. He is Lux's brother.

*Haha, oh dear. Cynthia is Kallisto's cousin. I recall you mentioning Nori's disliking her was going to have a payoff...
Well, that's not the one I had in mind. Of course he's going to meet her someday...just not in this fic.

*And when it's someone 90% of the world loves Arumi is suddenly a bit less gung-ho about publishing a big scoop. To be fair at her age that could be social suicide.
Arumi is smarter than one might think given how goofy she can be!

*Training to be an official seems pretty extreme so far. If this were not the Pokémon world I'd suggest twelve years old is a bit young for it. I guess Sparta existed, though.
Yeah, when you have people like Lack-Two from Adventures and the various teenaged Gym Leaders - I'd say this is more expositing how one of those characters becomes an official. That said, there's a bit more to Nori's training, and it doesn't help he has a hardass teacher. Or brings some of it on himself.

~~~

Sure didn't expect Kallisto to be related to Cynthia of all people. Normally, in other stories like this, giving someone like Kallisto all these famous relations and the tragic backstory that he has would make him come off as awfully Gary Stu-ish, but you manage to mitigate this by still giving Kallisto some character flaws, and having the point of the story being Nori dealing with toxic trainers who don't necessarily have his best interests at heart, or if they do, are going about it in the wrong ways.
Eeee, you said the S-word! :D So now that someone has said it (actually someone on FFNet basically said it without saying it)...

*Kallisto has not had a great life up to now. Is it intentional he feels like the sort of character who'd be the protagonist in a lot of fics?
To get back to this! When I replied saying this was very much intentional, I was only technically telling the truth. It's more an unintentional side-effect: yes, Kallisto has a lot of Stu-traits. That's probably why he feels like a character who could be the protagonist in a lot of fics. :p And why I almost asked for your present thoughts on Kallisto, but I didn't want to spoil that big loredumps that might change perspective would be coming soon. Of course, he has actual flaws and isn't a classic Stu who the entire story revolves around and is defined by his traits rather than his personality. And the biggest thing is: he's the antagonist. And one of the Stu traits he has is that 'if you hate him you're obviously wrong/evil'...

Plus, Arumi actually does have valid points when it comes to exposing Kallisto for what he really is and what he did to Nori. If Nori doesn't have solid proof that he and the others broke his arm, his name could get dragged through the mud. Good on you for having Arumi not only be smart enough to know when just going all in isn't going to work, and showing that even she has lines she doesn't want to cross. It gives her more depth than just being an overly enthusiastic genki girl who's just there to scream and annoy people.
As I mentioned about, Arumi is actually really smart when it comes to these things. She really stands out from everyone else because of it (besides Nori on a good day, which he doesn't get enough of), but it's more that she has a very positive attitude.

I'm also curious as to Ollie's history at the gym that Arumi mentioned. What exactly was his beef with Kallisto before Nori came to the gym? Considering Ollie was Eddie's personal punching bag before Nori came along, I wouldn't be surprised if the gym trainers did bad stuff to him like they did with Nori. If Ollie wasn't so intent on following the crowd and bullying Nori to sate his own insecurity and not be Eddie's punching bag again, I could see him and Nori becoming friends because of what they had to deal with.
Questions that may or may not be answered. Given that Kallisto snapped at him about something and mention of his old personality however (as well as Kallisto's own), there's a few possibilities to think about.

I do also wonder why the teacher made Nori run around the field lots of times and why she's so strict.
This is actual training they make special forces/military do in some countries - and yes, until you throw up. Although as to why she's making Nori do it...

Last edited:
Month 4: April of Change (fifth part)
If this chapter is clunky in places, it's because I haven't been able to give it a second editing pass yet but wanted to get this out today as planned. Our lovebird Cupid that we've had for seven years passed away yesterday. Adopted her from the SPCA, after she'd been given up three times. It was sudden, possibly a stroke of some kind. The last lovebird we had left, and it's the first time I've not had birds around me in the house since 1995.

Okay, chapter's been updated. There's only two changes of note that aren't wording or typo:
  • Yuki briefly holds Nori's shoulders instead of patting them.
  • Nori muses Eddie's choice of Electabuzz first a bit more, pondering expecting him to use his uncommonly-seen Purugly or even Octillery. When it uses Light Screen, he gets why he used it.

##########
=========
##########

April of Change (fifth part)
April 19th, 2015

Mercifully, Volkner let Nori be after that incident. He told him what happened and that he was going to start training. The Gym Leader begrudgingly left him alone. As far as Nori saw it, that meant he could train how he wanted, without anyone to get in the way.

In fact, Nori spent the entire weekend hard at work. He was laser focused, driven by determination and rage. He caught up on his homework while having his Pokemon train, if not exercising with them. When he wasn't doing any of those things, he was asleep or eating. He was away from the Gym for nearly all of Saturday. He had his Pokemon do general things that would build their strength and stamina. Sometimes he'd join them for a run. He even had them spar with each other, as well as a few battles together against other trainers.

Sunday was more of the same, except at the Gym. He was so mad. He wasn't going to lose. He wasn't going to let all of this be for nothing! He was barely able to sleep the previous night, but that didn't matter! It meant more time for training! And work! He did his homework while his Pokemon trained. It got to the point where he exhausted Pachirisu, and even the Demon needed a break. He was still antsy, and his mind wasn't flowing enough to do algebra, so he went to the exercise room to work out.

He wasn't sure what happened. All he knew was he was in there, and suddenly, he was in the medical room. Betsy-Ann and Kallisto were watching over him.

"Wha..." he groaned.

"You passed out," Kallisto informed.

The red-haired teen was side-eying the head Gym Trainer, although he didn't notice her leer. "Dehydration's what did it. Ya worked yourself too hard."

The heterochromic teen nodded. "I found the Demon trying to drag you down the stairs." Nori glanced to his left, finding she was sitting in a corner of the room. She was also glaring at Kallisto, who was keeping a nervous eye on her. "I know you were trying to train your hardest. But it's not doing you any good to burn out now."

"Fine, I get it. Go away."

Kallisto nodded. "I'll leave you in peace, then."

The boy collapsed back after the head Gym Trainer left. This was starting to get to him.

"Need a hug?"

Nori glanced up to see Betsy-Ann right up close. "Please."

The boy practically latched onto her. He'd needed this for a while. He missed Lux's hugs, his mom's hugs, Maylene clinging to him like a lost puppy...

"Mmm...ya give good hugs." the medic in-training remarked, gently stroking his back. "Nice 'n tight."

She eventually let go and stepped over to the counter. The medic returned with some crackers and a bottle of water.

"Got some vittles for ya."

"Thanks." Nori unscrewed the lid and gulped down a third of the bottle in one swig. Sweet salvation! He smiled at his Pokemon. "Both of you."

His Nidorina nodded, although made a motion with her front paws. Nori knew that as her wanting in her ball. He patted his pockets, finding her capsule was still in there. He brought it out to recall her and slipped it back inside.

Betsy-Ann sat beside him. "Ya really do how to make a gal worry, ya know?" she said, patting him on the back.

"Sorry," was all he could say. "I'm a stupid moron who overworked myself. Should've known better."

The teen simply smiled in reassurance. "Aw, it ain't no big deal. Yer alright now." Her pats gradually found their way to his head. "Might wanna eat somethin' proper-like soon, and take it easy the rest'a the day."

"You're right."

"Atta boy."

Nori stood shakily, his legs feeling like jelly. "I should...probably go do that."

"I'll be rootin' for ya tomorrow."

"Thanks."

Nori was glad there was at least one person at the Gym who supported him. Betsy-Ann was so nice. She was almost something of an older sibling looking out for him. He didn't even want to think of where he'd be without her.

---​

Kallisto Keravnos sat on the couch of the trainer's lounge, waiting for Nori to come by and eat. The young future official had earned some of his respect back over the past week. He'd been taking his training very seriously, perhaps to a fault. For all his flaws and troubles, Kallisto couldn't take that away from him. He could indeed acknowledge criticism, and put in effort where it was needed.

After ten minutes, Nori indeed came into the room.

"Hey,"

The boy didn't even glance in his direction. "I'm making food," he stated. Nori poured a pot of water and turned the stove on. He sat down at the table, and Kallisto joined him.

"Do you need a bit of help getting ready?"

The boy narrowed his gaze. "I don't trust you."

Kallisto nodded. "I guess I can't blame you."

He meant it. He was willing to help take some of the pressure off, even if it was last minute. But it was easy to see things from Nori's perspective. It wasn't hard to think his strategy and secrets might be leaked back to Eddie.

"I'll say just one thing, then." The boy eyed him warily, yet attentively. "Be ready for anything tomorrow."

He was quiet for the longest time, his irritation festering beneath the surface. "Are you being vague on purpose just to annoy me?"

The head Gym Trainer shook his head. "I don't know what Eddie's strategy is." He wouldn't leak it to Nori anyway as much as he wouldn't leak Nori's strategy, whatever it may be, to Eddie. But in this case, Kallisto was telling the truth. "The past week, he's been keeping his training as secret as yours. Even from me, which is unusual."

A defeated sigh. "Okay."

Kallisto thought about saying more. Ultimately, he got up and left, leaving it at that.

Regardless, he couldn't shake the feeling something bad was going to happen tomorrow. Eddie and Volkner had been too quiet. They'd met a couple times privately, and neither had told him what was going on. His speculation was they were setting Nori up to fail. It made sense. Eddie had been very vocal about wanting to see the future official gone, ever since April 1st. And Volkner had been on his case since his loss to Sofie Shadden. What were they willing to do?

If true, they were going too far over a petty grudge. Kallisto at that moment vowed to take action to save Nori's job if it came to that. Even if Nori didn't want him to or it meant throwing Eddie and Volkner under the bus. And maybe, he thought with a deep breath, that was how he could atone for what he'd done last month.

##########​

April 20th, 2015

The day had finally arrived. Exhibition day, April 20th.

Nori had the day off school, with no say in the matter. He actually wanted to go, not only to not fall further behind on his schoolwork, but to better prepare mentally. His battle with Eddie wasn't scheduled until the evening, the last battle of the day - a request made by the Gym Trainers so more people could watch and that it fit with the requirement for being special - so he didn't get why he had to stay here and help. Especially if they were going to kick him out if he lost.

Exhibition day officially started off at 10am, and Nori had to accept a couple challenges beforehand. They were simple one-on-ones. He managed to beat a Kadabra with Pachi, and a Glaceon with the Demon. Eddie just sat back and watched.

There were intermissions every two hours. These lasted for one hour for lunch and dinner, and half an hour between 3:00 and 3:30. Informal battles still took place during that time, monitored by one of the Gym Trainers. During the lunch break when wandering around, he found a familiar face in the right hallway area.

"Hey, Ms. Kakoku," he greeted.

The eyepatch-wearing woman was passively leaning against the wall. She glanced up at him. "Never was one for formal shit. Call me Rin when we're not in class."

"Sure, Rin." It was weird to be calling a woman much older than him by her first name, but he could get if he found it weird to be called Ms. Kakoku. "So what do you think so far?"

"Of what?"

"About the battles I've had?"

"No comment." She popped a stick of gum into her mouth. "Have your real one and I'll tell you Friday."

"Okay."

That made sense. He hardly cared about these battles, either. Maybe he'd watch from the balconies for a bit to avoid a stream of challenges.

---​

Eddie did have a double battle with someone after lunch. However, he didn't take it seriously, using his Carnivine and a Solrock of all things (that he apparently caught in Mt. Coronet a month ago). He actually lost, but didn't take it too hard. Nori fully expected he wouldn't see any of Eddie's better Pokemon before eight.

Sometime after 3pm, Nori went to the lobby. School-age students would soon be coming in droves to watch and participate in Sunyshore Gym's monthly tradition. In fact, one of the first people who showed up was Yuki.

"Nori, hey!" the strawberry blond boy greeted, hurrying over as soon as he saw him. He was wearing a tropical pink shirt with the logo of the Sunyshore Dunkers basketball team on the front.

"Nice to see you here, Yuki."

"Of course!" he said with a grin. "I come here every exhibition day! I was cheering for you the last two months!"

Was he? Those days were like a fog to him. But if he was there in March, "You cheered me over Kallisto?" he inquired.

"Mhm! Kallisto's great, but I think I like you better." Nori chuckled, slightly embarrassed about the praise. "Plus, who doesn't like cheering for the real underdog?"

"But I thought you liked sports?"

"Pro battling's a sport! More of one than poker." He grumbled and rolled his eyes at that last statement. "Battling is in my top three alongside basketball and soccer! Baseball's number four, if you were wondering." Nori was. It was one of the most popular sports for people in Japan, if the radio news was anything to go by. "I heard all about your battle! I can't wait to see you get back at Eddie!"

"Did you hear the part where if I lose, I get kicked out by Volkner?"

"What? No, I didn't." Yuki was stunned momentarily, but quickly shook it off. "Well, I just know you're going to win!"

The boy wasn't sure what to think about that comment. It was nice to know there was someone else cheering for him, and someone he knew at that. But simply saying he was going to win was kind of like blind faith.

"So, um. Nori," Yuki asked, suddenly a bit awkward. "I was wondering something."

"Ja, ja, excuse me herrs and frauleins," came the voice of a teenage girl trying her hardest to sound like an older German man. "I am important doctor coming through!" The individual, dressed in a long white lab coat over a light gray shirt and red tie, barged between them. She was glancing down, wearing a white cap, glasses, and a black mustache that didn't match her chocolate brown hair. She hurried into the right hall and into arena from there.

Yuki blinked. "Er, was that...?" he asked, with uncertainty.

"That was Arumi." Among the other blatant tells was that while she was posing as a guy, the small lumps on her chest gave away she was a girl.

"Why's she dressed up like that?"

"Ask her yourself tomorrow." Nori shrugged. He looked up at the clock. Whatever Yuki had to ask him would have to wait. "Well, I should get back soon."

"I'll be right there rooting for you! Good luck!" He briefly held Nori by the shoulders.

"Thanks. I think I'm going to need it."

That was nice. He didn't know Yuki well, but seemed the two of them could be good friends from the sounds of it. Even if some of it did stem from being a fanboy of his. Maybe he should get to know Yuki a bit better?

---​

At dinner, Volkner briefly spoke with Eddie, after which the Gym Trainer went with Kallisto and Tono to talk some last minute strategy. Nori was left to oversee things in the meantime. He was surprised they didn't have Ollie do it. There wasn't much to it, just decide who gets to battle, and say whenever somebody won. He did so with cheer, having a little fun with his announcements when he still could.

When they got back, Nori went off to eat. Although he wasn't that hungry, he nevertheless made himself a sandwich. It was a simple cheese spread on wheat bread, nothing special. Something to remind him of home, the home he might be forced to return to soon.

As he went downstairs afterward, he was greeted by a number of staff members in the stairwell area, led by Betsy-Ann. They met him with clapping and words of encouragement.

"Uh, thanks? But, what's this about?"

"Thought I'd round up some folks here to wish ya luck," the medic in-training said.

"You're all cheering for me?"

"O'course. Everyone here likes you. And though a few don't agree with what you did, ain't no one thinks Eddie didn't have it comin'." Betsy-Ann looked down the hallway. "Mrs. Stetcher's busy, but she told me she's been workin' here thirty years. Seen many Gym Leaders and Gym Trainers, and he's the biggest piece of work of 'em all."

"Worse than Ollie?"

Jenny McCabe, one of the security guards and the only female among them, spoke up. "He at least tries sometimes."

"No secret that pisshead's just riding Kallisto's coattails!" the pudgy Hartman added. "Even Dan and Lyle see that!" The other two guards, no doubt.

"It is news to me."

"Well now ya know!" Betsy-Ann snorted. "We're pullin' for ya. Give'em hell out there!"

"I'll try my best."

Nori always tried to be friendly with the staff. It seemed to be paying off. Still, he wondered. If it came to him and Kallisto, who would they choose? Betsy-Ann made her stance clear, but what about the others? Surely they'd been around long enough to see his darker side, right? Or would they...?

---​

The boy decided to step out for a while before his battle. As he did so, he spotted someone vaguely familiar in the lobby, getting a snack from the concession stand.

"Is that you, Kelsey?" he chanced asking.

The blonde girl turned around. "You remember me?"

He did, so it seemed. "I haven't seen you around. How's everyone been?"

"We go to Autumn Valley Middle School now." He thought so. He hadn't seen Jamie or her friends since the start of the school year. He couldn't have missed them every time he was in the halls. "Well, Arty and Marie started dating and left on a journey together. Jamie couldn't come today. But she wanted me to tell you, she's sorry for what she said to you."

Nori placed a hand on his hip. "It took her that long, and she couldn't tell me in person? Doesn't she live close to here?"

"She's ashamed to face you. Plus, her dad wouldn't let her."

The boy sighed. "She's just upset because I got away."

"She is."

"Well, tell her thanks." At least she did apologize, even if it was hollow.

"And you won't have her back?"

Nori considered this for a moment. "As much as part of me wants to, I think it'd be better if we don't." As much as it'd be nice to actually date her and see what Kallisto would do about it, he was sure he made the right choice.

"That's what I told her. And I thought you'd say that, too." She laughed ruefully.

"I should get back soon. My battle's going to start any minute."

Kelsey checked her Poketch. "Right, it's almost eight! I should get back to my seat, too!"

"Nice seeing you again."

"Same here. Good luck!"

"Thank you."

A surprising number of people he knew had come here. And a lot of them had come to watch his battle. He wouldn't be surprised if Spike was in the audience too. Of course, he wished Lux could be here too, but that was a pipe dream at this point. It would be a miracle if they could ever meet again, really...

---​

A number of battles on exhibition day were planned ahead of time, as opposed to being spontaneous or decided on that day. One could put in an application through mail, website, or in-person to have their battle featured. These were usually the first match after and last match before a break. Other battles were case-by-case, with the floor generally open during break periods. But the final one of each day was more than any presented as an event. They were often the best battles, and often featured either Volkner or a Gym Trainer.

They took place after 8pm, after whatever battle was in-progress finished. Nori couldn't remember the February one besides nobody from the Gym being involved, but in January it was a full battle between Kallisto and Tono, and in March Volkner faced off against the outgoing Elite Four member, the Normal-type expert Basil. Today, it would be him.

As the battle between two students from rival middle schools came to a close, Nori and Eddie were instructed to get to the battlefield. Nori received some encouragement from the packed audience along the way. A lot of people were looking forward to this battle, and no doubt given Eddie's reputation, a lot were cheering for him. It was a contrast to when he fought Gasha Qian in the Veilstone Gym to determine the fate of the Demon. Perhaps the only person cheering (albeit silently) for him there was his one-time friend Prema.

He took his position with Pachirisu on his shoulder. Be ready for anything. Kallisto said that, but it was obvious. Eddie's an experienced trainer, he definitely knew a lot of strategies. Nori's would be to counter them and hit his Pokemon so fast and hard it didn't matter.

"This will be the final battle of today," Volkner introduced. "It will be featuring two of our own, ‘the Demon Tamer’ Nori Carino against Edward ‘Eddie’ Hankstein. You know half the backstory, so I'm not repeating it. The other's," and with this the leader pointed right at him. "That he's made little progress on his technique. If he doesn't show any improvement here, he's out. Gone."

Way to remind him of the pressure. The crowd murmured, even more intrigued by the stakes. Why couldn't Eddie like, have to quit or something if he lost? This was stupid. At least the audience wasn't against him. Yet even so, it felt much harder than when he fought Gasha. Maybe it was because he didn't have spite to run off of. Or that the crowd was expecting things of him.

"This is a standard battle. Switching is allowed, with no limits. Send your first Pokemon out at the same time."

Nori turned his head and nodded. Pachirisu hopped off, raring to go. Eddie had meanwhile chosen to start off with a yellow bipedal creature with prong-like horns and a vaguely tiger-like body pattern. His Electabuzz. An interesting choice, given Pachi's ability would limit what it could do. He was expecting Eddie to use his Lickitung, or maybe even Octillery regardless of type disadvantage.

His opponent showed faux surprise. "Whoa, kid!" he dramatically declared. "The look in its eyes! You corrupt it or something?"

He did have a point. Pachirisu was wearing a very fierce expression. "Pachi just hates you," explained Nori. "Just like I hate you."

"Gonna hate me a lot more once we're done here."

They had to win this. They absolutely had to. If they lost, everything up until this point, the last eight months of his life will have been for nothing. Four of which would've been completely wasted here. They had to pull out all the stops here, do everything in their power. Use all of their speed. And show them their grit!

"Okay, begin." Volkner waved his hands and stepped back, and the battle was on.

Eddie gave the first command. "Light Screen, Electabuzz!"

"No! Quick Attack!"

With swift speed, Pachirisu dashed forth and collided into their opponent, but this didn't manage to prevent Electabuzz from waving its hands and creating a shimmering veil of light. That was bad. In fact, maybe that was the worst possible thing. That must've been why he was using it! Most of Pachirisu's moves were special in nature. He could switch to the Demon, yes, but he wanted to keep her fit for Eddie's second.

"Now, Ice Punch!"

Nori smacked himself. He was losing focus already! Eddie's Electabuzz was no slouch close up, and they ran right into it! Pachirisu didn't see it coming, getting smacked upside the head with their foe's icy fist.

"One more time!"

Two months ago, Pachi would already be close to defeat. But to his relief, the squirrel's training - and maybe getting used to getting beaten repeatedly - had been paying off. He escaped the second blow, and didn't seem worse for wear.

"Okay," the boy huffed. "What to do now, Nori?" he asked himself.

Eddie wasn't giving them any time to decide. "Follow through! Low Kick!"

An idea came to him. "Grass Knooooooooo..." He drew the word out, giving the signal as Electabuzz started to twist. "–ot, now!"

Pachirisu's timing was perfect. He stomped the ground right as the tiger-like Pokemon had lifted its leg. The ensnaring vines were so abrupt that it spun and fell over. Nori saw their chance.

"Super Fang."

"Grab at it!"

Electabuzz was having trouble getting to its feet to do so. Pachirisu focused, jumped in there with glowing teeth, and chomped down hard. As the opposing Pokemon was reeling, Nori pondered if they could get off another.

"Again."

With hesitation, Pachirisu did so. He only managed to scrape a foot with his fangs, getting shoved away in the process. He was left on all fours, momentarily catching his breath.

"Dumbfuck," Eddie growled. "Psychic! Throw it at a pillar!"

Electabuzz mentally grabbed hold of his Pokemon. Ugh! How could this thing use a stupid move like that? It quickly shoved the white and blue squirrel into one of the pillars. He was down, he was wobbly, but he wasn't out.

"Fuckin' remember anything?" the dark-skinned teen mocked. "Can't use strong attacks over and over!"

Nori cringed. "Shut up!" He was hoping to end it quickly, that's all! The small silver lining was that Psychic took effort to execute, but this was not looking good.

"Now show it Swift!"

"Um, Electro Ball?" They had to strike back.

And it hit! Weakly. That stupid Light Screen. However, the wildly moving homing stars impacted his Pokemon far worse. Eddie grinned like a predator eying its prey. Electabuzz pounded a fist into its palm.

"Get in close."

"Run away! Agility!"

For the next minute or so, a game of chicken ensued. Electabuzz chased after Pachirisu, who ran as fast as his little legs could carry him backed by a speed boost. Eddie didn't mind; in fact he actually seemed to enjoy it. Nori was relieved at that much. It was buying him time to think. He couldn't use Thunder Wave. He could use Sweet Kiss. He should've from the start, maybe he still could. Could he Discharge? Maybe. But he wanted to make that count for the effort it took. That Light Screen was still there...

"All right, you had your fun, kid. Another Swift."

He should've known. "Wait right by that pillar," Nori said. Pachirisu did so, shakily. The boy shut his eyes. He heard the star missiles flying through the air. "Whirl behind."

This was crazy. He'd seen Kallisto do this once or twice. Could Pachi do it on the spot? The squirrel waited tensely, and dove behind just as the attack got close. Some of them still hit, yet most ended up hitting the pillar instead. It somehow worked! The crowd gasped and cheered. Kallisto actually gave him a thumbs-up.

"Crafty," Eddie sarcastically complimented. "Think it's time we end this. Psychic, Electabuzz! Bring it closer this time!"

Once more, Pachi was caught, and there was nothing they could do. Yet Nori saw it. The curtain of light, briefly becoming visible again as it blinked out of existence. This stupid stunt of stalling actually worked. They had one chance!

"Pachi, Discharge."

As if also sensing this was their only chance, the squirrel put everything into this. And Electabuzz felt it. It growled, focus dropping entirely as Pachirisu smoothly landed on his feet. The other Pokemon was left gasping for air.

"Shit!" cursed Eddie. "Get Light Screen back up!"

"No way. Quick Attack."

A repeat of the opening moves played out. The only difference this time was after Pachirisu made contact, Eddie's Pokemon paused, clutching its belly. And it toppled over!

"Electabuzz can't continue," ruled Volkner.

The crowd roared. Nori lightly smiled, and his Pokemon wagged its tail in delight. One down, one to go! Eddie slowly reached out, shaken by this loss. Even the other Gym Trainers, and even Volkner seemed surprised! They showed them! No one believed Pachi could've won against one of their Pokemon, and they just showed them! Just Magnezone left!

"Eddie!" shouted Kallisto from the stands. "Keep focused! Don't let it get to you!"

"Do not let this ridiculous fool get in your head! You still have the advantage!" Tono yelled.

Of course they'd coach and encourage him. Eddie snapped out of it at once. "Heh, you're right. Sorry." He turned to Nori, his next Pokemon in-hand. "Well, not bad, kid. But your luck's run out."

He threw the ball, and out came...a red tank-like octopus?! "Octillery?!" Nori gasped. Pachirisu was stunned, not to mention a good portion of the audience. Even Kallisto seemed taken aback.

The boy took a deep breath, processing this. Okay. He had to be using this instead of Magnezone for a reason. What could it be? He'd seen it use Mud Shot, it wasn't a bad pick against Pachirisu. But what about the Demon? That worked well too, and it knew Octazooka and Psybeam and Aurora–

"Pachirisu vs. Octillery. Begin."

Too late, he had to trust his instinct. "Pachi, come back. Uh, return."

"Don't let it! Wrap!"

Nori panicked. The octopus reached out with its tentacles. Pachirisu ran, but...but he made it! He got away! The little squirrel quickly scampered behind him. Nori wasn't sure of the rules on Pokemon being outside their ball and being called back, but screw it!

"Go, my Demon."

Octillery was advancing, but came face to face with the teal beast. At once, she bucked it in the face. The octopus was normally steadfast against physical blow thanks to its Suction Cups ability, but this was so sudden it didn't have a chance to grip the floor. It was sent a few meters back.

"Damn it!"

"Swap confirmed," stated Volkner. Pachirisu was still hurt, a good attack or two might knock him out. But this would be a chance to recover his stamina. The squirrel crawled back onto his shoulder to watch. "Continue."

Eddie sighed in annoyance. "Fine. Psybeam, Octillery."

Placing its front tentacles down, the red Pokemon spat out a pink laser with rings. This actually hit the Demon even as she hopped to avoid it, although she shrugged it off, effective or not.

"Approach and strike." He let her decide how.

"Get ready to dodge!" said Eddie. Octillery squirmed aside as she got near, although she still managed to catch it with her feet. Its trainer countered, "Octazooka, point blank!"

Hm. Nori wondered. "Flip over top."

She did so, somersaulting over the octopus' form and striking from behind. The boy grinned. The Demon was in the perfect place! Octillery wasn't getting away, and it couldn't turn around fast enough!

Eddie blew it off. "Think you're hot shit? Wrap!" Octillery reached out behind and ensnared the Nidorina's body and front legs. The dark-skinned teen snickered. "Gotcha."

Okay, they could still attack. But, Nori thought fast. "Roll back!"

Nidorina did a backwards somersault, yanking Octillery off the ground with sheer force and slamming it headfirst into the ground. Eddie muttered in annoyance. Nori knew what was coming next. He'd seen it from them before: wrap around the foe then slingshot in. He thought he had an answer.

"Double-Edge, Octillery!" As he figured.

"Crunch."

Nidorina was faster. Before the octopus could reel itself in, the Demon went right up and bit down hard. Suddenly, both Pokemon were latched onto each other.

"Octillery, roll and throw!" Eddie countered. Showing its own power and using its tentacles as leverage, the red octopus flipped backwards. At the same time it released and hurled Nidorina off and away.

The Demon moved with it, flipping upright and landing on her feet. She crouched to charge.

"Now, Mud Shot!"

The octopus spewed a hunk of wet dirt in her face. Undeterred by the temporary blindness, she made a blind lunge that Octillery easily slithered away from. Eddie smirked.

"Soak it!"

Nori flinched as a massive amount of strange-looking water came out of its maw, completely drenching the Demon. It didn't seem to hurt her for some reason. But it gave away their position!

"Right there, Shadow Claw." She caught it right between the eyes with this blow.

"Lucky critical," Eddie muttered, keeping his cool even as she followed through with Cut. "Slingshot away!"

Nori blinked. The Demon was going for a third follow-up. But before she could, Octillery gripped the floor and pulled itself backward. The octopus launched away at a high velocity, evading the swipe and putting a considerable distance between the two Pokemon.

"That's a new trick we've been practicing. And here's a new move." He suddenly got a look in his eye that unnerved Nori. "Ready to scream, kid?" he asked, with a Cheshire grin and cruel laugh. "Octillery, USE SURF!"

The boy froze up in horror. "No, no, no..." he mumbled, squinting. Not that move! The red octopus produced an ungodly amount of water, rising to its apex and riding it forward. The huge wave of water was headed right for them! Nori yelped, trying not to scream. He took several steps back, barely catching himself from running off entirely. His Pokemon still had mud in her eyes. This wasn't looking good.

Impulsively, he reached for the Demon's ball. "Come back, quick!" he urged, managing to hit her with the beam just before the wave crashed over her. He picked up Pachirisu. "Go! Agility!"

He literally threw the squirrel into the fray. Pachi landed, jumped, and rocketed through the air. He landed right behind Octillery.

"What the FUCK??" seethed Eddie. He pointed fiercely. "Wrap!"

"Discharge! Full power!"

"Shit!" Eddie grit his teeth, knowing there was no stopping this.

Pachirisu gave this attack everything he had. Octillery lit up like a lightbulb as it was zapped by the intense burst of electricity. And, it went limp!

"Octillery can't continue," Volkner announced.

The boy, catching his breath, managed to cheer with the crowd. He'd won! He'd actually beaten Eddie! Two Pokemon to none! "Woohoo!" Even trying to freak him out didn't work! Pachirisu looked over at him with a grin. The squirrel ran towards him. The boy raised his hand, high-fiving his Pokemon's tail. "Yes! How do you like that?"

Eddie took a step forward. "That was dirty!" he accused. "You're really an amateur like Tono says if you have to use brute force and cheap tricks."

"Well," said Nori, with a shrug. His harasser walked right into this one, so he couldn't help himself. "You just lost to this so-called amateur, so what does that make you?"

"I ain't lost yet."

With these chilling words Eddie recalled Octillery and sent out a third Pokemon? It was his Magnezone, which hovered menacingly over Pachirisu. The little squirrel was confused, as was most of the crowd, really.

"Hey!" Nori yelled. "What's the big idea?!"

"This is a standard three-on-three," Volkner answered. He said so in the plainest, most natural way possible.

"But I don't have three Pokemon!"

"Well, you should've caught something else!" Eddie tauntingly replied. "You've gone to the wild a lot."

"THAT'S dirty!" He stomped a foot. "I had other things to worry about!"

Volkner shook his head. "That's how it is."

"Swift that little rodent, Magnezone!"

Nori choked on his protests. Pachirisu was taken completely by surprise, the star-shaped missiles critically hitting him from all sorts of strange angles. It was all too much.

"Pachirisu can't continue."

"Maybe your Pokemon are stronger, kid," Eddie conceded, with cold sincerity. He snickered in a low, sinister voice as he lowered his gaze. "But you ain't better."

Nori wanted to collapse, just like his Pokemon. What in the world was he going to do now?

Last edited:
After all the build-up, I gotta say this chapter delivered quite a lot, and not just on the battle front either. Kind of surprised to see mention of Jamie again, and it's nice that she realized to some degree what she had done, even if she couldn't apologize to Nori in person. Good to have some degree of closure for her, at least, assuming this is the last I hear of her, but I could be wrong on that one. As much as I want to believe that Kallisto wants to make it up to Nori after what he did last month, I'm not holding my breath and refuse to believe it unless I see it in action. And I'll definitely admit, it is very satisfying to have Nori beat two of Eddie's Pokemon, even while facing his fear of water. Calling it now: I bet Eddie convinced Volkner to lend him his Octillery for the sole purpose of this battle.

But the end does confuse me though. One: Did nobody tell Nori that he needed three Pokemon for his match? I don't remember anything mentioning such. Shouldn't there have been an announcement during the battles indicating such? I know the Pokemon anime usually mention them at the beginning of each match. Two: Did Volkner and the others not consider that, even if Nori DID know he needed three Pokemon, he wouldn't have time to catch one? He has school, is being watched by almost everyone at the gym, and overworked himself training. How can they expect him to find the time to even catch another Pokemon when they put all these expectations on him? Are they deliberately not telling him things just to set him up to fail? I hope the next chapter provides these answers.

Also, I already told you this, but again, sorry for your loss. You gave your bird a good life, and she'll always be a part of you. Great job on the chapter as always!

Kind of surprised to see mention of Jamie again, and it's nice that she realized to some degree what she had done, even if she couldn't apologize to Nori in person. Good to have some degree of closure for her, at least, assuming this is the last I hear of her, but I could be wrong on that one.
Wanted to give a little bit of closure to that. It also reaffirms Nori's choice: he's not desperate to get into a relationship just to spite Kallisto.

As much as I want to believe that Kallisto wants to make it up to Nori after what he did last month, I'm not holding my breath and refuse to believe it unless I see it in action.
I mean those were his narratve thoughts. It wasn't a promise he was making to Nori, but one to himself. But are you correct anyway?! We shall see! It isn't looking good for Nori, so he might need it!

And I'll definitely admit, it is very satisfying to have Nori beat two of Eddie's Pokemon, even while facing his fear of water. Calling it now: I bet Eddie convinced Volkner to lend him his Octillery for the sole purpose of this battle.
He didn't. Eddie has his own Octillery. Don't blame you for the confusion, though - repeat Pokemon is rare in fanfiction, and Eddie's only got two nearly off-handed mentions.

But the end does confuse me though. One: Did nobody tell Nori that he needed three Pokemon for his match? I don't remember anything mentioning such.
This is very much rigged against him. Implication is that even Kallisto didn't know what was going to happen.

Also, I already told you this, but again, sorry for your loss. You gave your bird a good life, and she'll always be a part of you. Great job on the chapter as always!
Thanks. Also, expect some minor edits over the next few days, mostly typos or tweaks. Nothing major.

Last edited:
First off, I'm sorry about your lovebird.

*Nori is losing consciousness a worrying number of times.
*I can't imagine a Nidorina trying to carry a human being easy. Nice that the Demon is still protective and hostile towards Kallisto.
*Betsy-Ann is pretty sweet. Despite her age she has a very motherly vibe to her.
*Hmm, Kallist assuming Nori doesn't trust him because secrets might leak to Eddie is almost charmingly naive. Almost.
Kallisto at that moment vowed to take action to save Nori's job if it came to that.
I said I'm holding off on my full analysis of Kallisto until later, but this?
This is strongly reinforcing my current conclusion.
*Nice for one of Nori's club friends to be here for him (and was apparently there in the past as well).
*Arumi.
Arumi what.
*It's nice the staff is on his side, but Volkner seems to be plotting with Eddie so I'm not sure about Nori's chances.
*You know with everything else that's happened I'd forgotten about the incident with Jamie until now.
*And it begins.
*I always found Electabuzz and Magmar knowing Psychic weird, too.
*Go Pachi!
*Demon is struggling this time...
*Pachi is back in and...
"Octillery can't continue," Volkner announced.
Pachi is number 1 confirmed!
"This is a standard three-on-three," Volkner answered.
!
!
!...
Volkner, you dirty son of a gun. I suspect that's what him and Eddie have been discussing. I guess he didn't have enough confidence in Eddie winning fairly so he pulled this scheme. Maybe later events will shine a different light on this but for now I name him a coward. Eddie, too, for bragging so much but grabbing himself a 3 to 2 advantage.
Sigh. Hopefully Nidorina can win this one, although I have a concern that we might get a reverse of the Gasha Qian scenario where Nori wins but Volkner declares he didn't show improvement himself (just strengthening his Pokémon) and tosses him anyways.

First off, I'm sorry about your lovebird.
Thanks.

*I can't imagine a Nidorina trying to carry a human being easy. Nice that the Demon is still protective and hostile towards Kallisto.
Maybe for a regular Nidorina, but this is the Demon Nidorina - she's mentioned to be much larger than the average one - she even has a horn when most don't. It's just not something that I bring up too much in-fic besides some initial mentions each time. Maybe I should.

*Betsy-Ann is pretty sweet. Despite her age she has a very motherly vibe to her.
Very much so. She's a different sort of peace for Nori than Lux was.

*Hmm, Kallist assuming Nori doesn't trust him because secrets might leak to Eddie is almost charmingly naive. Almost.

I said I'm holding off on my full analysis of Kallisto until later, but this?
This is strongly reinforcing my current conclusion.
Nori said himself he didn't trust Kallisto for that reason, implying that. Kallisto picked up on it, but probably correctly assumed nothing could change Nori's mind on that.

*Nice for one of Nori's club friends to be here for him (and was apparently there in the past as well).
He actually was! There were at least a scant few people cheering or agreeing with him, like from a few of the staff, a couple brunette women in the far left corner, and a strawberry blonde boy in the front row. More or less a reread/checkback bonus.

*Arumi.
Arumi what.
She is a master of disguise! Sort of.

*You know with everything else that's happened I'd forgotten about the incident with Jamie until now.
Yeah. Also thought I'd throw it in as part of all the people showing up to cheer on Nori.

*I always found Electabuzz and Magmar knowing Psychic weird, too.
No complaining when using them in-game, of course. Makes them all the better.

*Demon is struggling this time...
This part of the battle was very fun to write. I tried to make it much more freeform rather than just trading attacks. Nori showing off that he's not completely a straightforward attacker in the process, but Eddie showing off some of his own skill and trying to outstrategize the Demon.

Pachi is number 1 confirmed!
Even if the Demon did most of the work, still finished Octillery off, beating two of Eddie's Pokemon! And yes, for all intents and purposes, he pulled a reverse level grind switch trick against the Octillery.

Heh heh heh...

Volkner, you dirty son of a gun. I suspect that's what him and Eddie have been discussing. I guess he didn't have enough confidence in Eddie winning fairly so he pulled this scheme. Maybe later events will shine a different light on this but for now I name him a coward. Eddie, too, for bragging so much but grabbing himself a 3 to 2 advantage.
Eddie certainly isn't going to turn down any advantage he's offered. As for Volkner's end of things...

Sigh. Hopefully Nidorina can win this one, although I have a concern that we might get a reverse of the Gasha Qian scenario where Nori wins but Volkner declares he didn't show improvement himself (just strengthening his Pokémon) and tosses him anyways.
You shall find out next week! Hopefully. Schedule might be a bit frazzled because of what happened.

Maybe for a regular Nidorina, but this is the Demon Nidorina - she's mentioned to be much larger than the average one - she even has a horn when most don't. It's just not something that I bring up too much in-fic besides some initial mentions each time. Maybe I should.
I'm mostly thinking of it being anatomically tricky--I actually think a normal Nidorina could hoist a teenager around on it's back.

And yes, for all intents and purposes, he pulled a reverse level grind switch trick against the Octillery.
I admit I am not really sure what "a level grind switch trick" is.

I'm mostly thinking of it being anatomically tricky--I actually think a normal Nidorina could hoist a teenager around on it's back.
Given the Demon's strength, she was probably able to get under Nori and lift him with her snout. The problem of course arose when trying to go down the stairs.

I admit I am not really sure what "a level grind switch trick" is.
As in, sending out a weak Pokemon at the start of battle, switching it out for a stronger Pokemon, and beating the opponent's Pokemon with it so the weaker one gets the experience. Nori fought the Octillery with a stronger Pokemon, and switched to the weaker one for the finishing blow.

Okay, so chapter's been updated. There's only two changes of note that aren't wording or typo things:
- Yuki briefly holds Nori's shoulders instead of patting them.
- Nori muses Eddie's choice of Electabuzz first a bit more, pondering expecting him to use his uncommonly-seen Purugly (a first mention of him having it) Lickitung or even Octillery. When it uses Light Screen, he gets why Eddie used it.

Last edited:
Month 4: April of Change (sixth part)
April of Change (sixth part)
April 20th, 2015

Nori shut his eyes, the gravity of the situation crushing him. The crowd was murmuring, most of them booing this twist. But they couldn't get him out of this one. This was an unfair battle, rigged against him. It was down to one Pokemon a side, a fresh Magnezone against the Demon, who'd taken some hits from Octillery. Last time they were in this situation against Eddie, a damaged Nidorina against his ace, they'd lost. And it was only a Magneton back then.

"Volkner, really?!" an aghast Kallisto spoke up, rising from his chair.

"Quiet! No causing a disruption during a battle!" the Gym Leader instantly shut down.

Reluctantly, the heterochromic teen sat, although he continued to glower at Volkner and even Eddie. He turned to Tono, fervently whispering to him. It appeared from his expression they were quietly arguing about this.

Volkner turned to Nori, tapping his foot. "Hurry it up. Or are you forfeiting now?"

He almost wanted to. There was almost no chance of winning here, but that didn't mean he couldn't try. He sent out the Demon, who instantly got hold of the situation. She was ready, at least.

"Dumb luck you avoided my Soak plan," Eddie taunted. Nori studied his body language, and he did not look deterred in the slightest. "But you still ain't gonna win."

Soak plan? Wait. It changed her type, didn't it? Was he going to destroy her with very effective Electric attacks? Nori shuddered. He was very lucky Pachi managed to beat Electabuzz, and that he more or less concluded something like this could happen. This was still very bad. Magnezone could fly, and Shock Wave wouldn't help even if they could use it properly. There was one trump card they could play...but how could they go about it?

Volkner waved his arms. "Last matchup. The Demon versus Magnezone. Begin."

"Start it off with an Iron Head, Magnezone!"

"Fight as you will, Demon."

The crowd was surprised by this unusual order, and maybe his apathy. Volkner glared. Nori didn't care. Not like Volkner liked anything he did anyway. May as well spite him and throw Eddie off. There were many times in the past where he placed his trust in the Demon, and he was doing so again.

Her first action was to meet their foe's charge. Her paws began to glow with ethereal energy. She swung and struck with Shadow Claw, but was clipped by charging Steel type in the process. Both Pokemon kept moving after their respective attacks, eventually turning to face each other again.

"Let's see what you do against Body Press!"

Again, the two Pokemon moved towards one another. This time, the Nidorina did a handstand and started kicking as Magnezone descended on her. She landed a couple strikes and knocked it back, but it just kept coming. Nori winced as it landed on her.

As Magnezone was hovering off, the Demon suddenly sprang at it. She climbed atop for a brief moment, hammering away with her paws.

"The fuck?" said Eddie. "Shake it off!"

The magnet Pokemon began jerking around wildly. The Demon was moments away from hitting another Shadow Claw when she lost her grip. She swung anyway, just barely missing. The teal creature landed on her back from about three meters up, fortunately unhurt.

"Well, seems we're a match in melee, huh?" said Eddie. "Let's see how you handle us at ranged, though! Metal Sound!"

The trio of magnets emitted a horrible noise. It was something of a cross between nails on a chalkboard, scraping metal, and a high-pitched squeal. Nori winced and shut one eye, although didn't need to plug his ears like some of the audience and even Eddie himself had to. As for his Pokemon, she stood strong. Annoyed and growling the whole time, but unbothered.

"She's keeping focused!" yelled Ollie. "It won't work!"

"I can see that!" Eddie shouted back. She actually sprang up and managed to barely clip its underside with yet another Shadow Claw. "Float out of reach and use Lock-On!"

"Wait."

Nori spoke, catching the Demon's attention as their opponent took aim. He knew what was coming. Zap Cannon. After a moment's thought, she realized it too, and ran towards a pillar to take cover.

Eddie scoffed. "Try this. Thunder!"

From a cloud materializing above came a blindingly intense bolt of lightning. His Pokemon tried to evade anyway, but it was fruitless. The electricity crashed down on her with an ear-splitting boom.

The Demon shuddered. Her legs quivered. And yet, she refused to go down, steadying herself and standing taller than before. Nori exhaled, shakily from how much he was hyperventilating. That was way too close. He thought for sure they'd lost there.

Eddie crossed his arms, standing proudly. "You're outta your league, kid. We're just better than you, admit it."

The boy growled. "Stop hiding up there, pansy."

"I ain't gotta listen to you." Well, the taunt was worth a try. "Go around the other side and use Flash Cannon!"

As Magnezone started to move, the Demon got a burst of defiant energy. She started scaling the pillar, much like she had in the past. Eddie had no time to warn his Pokemon; as soon as it was in sight, the teal beast lunged. She seemed about to swipe, but Nori shouted, "Grab on!"

She switched her tactic in an instant, going from a double pawed Shadow Claw to latching onto one of the magnets. The Magnezone briefly faltered from the sudden extra weight.

"Again?" Eddie dismissed as Nori's Pokemon was precariously hanging off. "Get rid of it."

Magnezone once more shook and tilted its body. Nori held his breath. Yet this time, the Demon held firm. In fact, she used the momentum to flip onto the magnet Pokemon.

"The antenna!" he shouted, getting a gut feeling. "Get the antenna!"

"Use Thunderbolt!"

The Electric attack lasted only a split second. The teal creature violently yanked the little yellow rod jutting out from the main body. Magnezone screeched in pain. It lost control of its levitation, sending both Pokemon crashing to the floor.

The Demon jumped off just in time, landing rough but on her feet and instantly lunging again. She was fighting like a cornered beast, gracelessly slashing and kicking their foe. And it seemed to be working.

"You got this," he spurred with some claps. Eventually she transitioned into a proper Double Kick.

Eddie seethed. "Get back, Magnezone!"

It was trying to do that the whole time, but the Demon stayed on it. She was not allowing it to get away, let alone into the air. Nori smugly turned the boasting around. "We may not be better. But we are stronger."

"That is not how it works, you imbecile!" yelled Tono from the stands.

"Change direction! Back and forth!" Magnezone did so, ramming the Nidorina. It got as much horizontal distance as it could while the Demon was stumbling. "Now Tri Attack!" Eddie wasted no time going back on the offense.

"Head through."

Nori was confident about this one. The three triangles swirled out towards the Demon, and she proceeded to dodge it by acrobatically leaping through the space between them. The Magnezone blared like an alarm, responding too late to escape the subsequent Shadow Claw.

"Shit! Shit!" Eddie cursed. "Fend it off with Iron Head!"

"Block it."

With a flex, the Demon got up on her hind legs as Magnezone rushed forth. She managed to catch it in her paws, keeping her grip even as she was being pushed back by the sheer force. Suddenly, she lashed out and bit the thing, stopping it cold.

"Ha-ha!" Nori did a small dance. "Give it a toss!"

"Thunderbolt!"

The Demon tossed it like a disc, right towards a pillar. The electrical attack went completely wide. Magnezone struck hard and clattered to the floor, upside-down.

"Exactly there," he said. That was perfect. "It's time. Let's use that."

She looked back at him, raising an eye. She knew what it was, and he could get why she was confused. They went over when they planned to first use this in a public battle, multiple times over the past month. But the situation had changed! It was now or never!

"Yes, I mean it!" he reiterated. "Demon, Earth Power!"

Eddie's jaw dropped on hearing the move's name. "WHAT?! FUCK!! Magnezone, get out of there!!"

The Demon concentrated on two legs, closing her eyes. She clenched her paws, tensing every muscle in her body. Magnezone struggled, wobbling as it tried to regain its equilibrium. It got upright, but it was too late. The spiky monster's eyes shot open, bloodshot from rage. She raised her front paws with a roar.

The ground beneath Magnezone erupted. Dirt and sand flew in a radius around it, consuming the gray Pokemon in a scintillating ring of earthen energy. The ovular Pokemon blared and screeched as it was ravaged by the powerful effective attack. The spectacle lasted four whole seconds. The Demon fell to all fours halfway through, crouched, shuddering, and fuming.

Eddie clutched his scalp. The attack faded, and his Pokemon wasn't moving. "No, shit! Damn it, no! Get up!"

The Demon evidently wanted to make sure the job was done. She roared and jumped forward to start her next and final attack, galloping in hot with her head lowered. The horn on her head was aimed right for the primary unit's eye.

"Finish with style," Nori said. He was sure he'd already won, but wasn't about to chance it.

She performed a vicious Skull Bash, flipping her foe vertically and crushing it between the pillar and herself. With a quick hop, she flourished with a kick that sent it into a roll. If there was any doubt as to whether the battle was over, it was erased when Magnezone swayed like an uneven tire for several meters before falling over and rattling to a stop.

"And that's our win." He snapped a finger and winked, as the Demon shrieked in triumph.

The stunned Volkner didn't give his ruling. Yet the crowd did it for him, cheering his victory. Nori basked in their adoration, taking a bow. He shot a look to the Gym Trainers. Even Kallisto was shocked, although unlike Tono and Ollie, he was robotically clapping along with the audience.

"BULLSHIT!" Eddie screamed over the roaring masses. "How did that end it?! Since when does the fuckin' Demon know fuckin' Earth Power?! Fuck!" The sneering teenager fell to his hands and knees, pounding the floor with a fist.

She learned it near the end of last month, when he was training in the forest. He was saving it to pull a victory out against Kallisto, but he needed this one. He wasn't sure if he could've won without using it. At the very least, not so quickly and decisively.

The Demon looked to Nori with a cruel, yet playful smirk. He nodded his approval, and she pranced towards to the opposing trainer. Eddie looked up to see the teal monster staring him in the face. She snorted. The dark-skinned teen screamed, pushing himself onto his rear and scampering away with his hands. Both Pokemon and trainer laughed, and so did the audience.

"That's our show for today!" Volkner was still struck dumb. He'd turned away, a hand on his forehead as he processed this. Normally the Gym Leader would be the one to give the closing speech, but with him out of commission, Nori decided to take the chance to do it himself. And with far more energy than he ever had, too. "Hope you enjoyed this exhibition day! I certainly did! I'd like to say hi to my friends in the stands, and to Lux Blomgren, wherever he is." Yuki and the disguised Arumi both waved to him from the crowd. "Come back next month on the 20th for more! And of course, you're always welcome to stop by and watch challengers, any day the Gym's open!"

With some final applause, the audience started to leave. Nori was on cloud nine. They'd done it! He and his Pokemon had won! They tried to make it unfair, but they won anyway!

This was it. This is what it truly felt like to win a battle! He couldn't help but jump around in celebration.

##########​

The first thing Nori did after coming down from the euphoria was get Pachirisu healed and give him the good news. Even the Demon, normally stoic and serious, couldn't help but get caught up in the mood. The second thing he did was rub it in some more. In a reversal, the Gym Trainers actually avoided him! They just congratulated him and uncomfortably left. Nori couldn't help but double over laughing at that one.

After the Gym closed, Nori went upstairs to the trainer's lounge. He'd only been able to have a few snacks, so he fixed himself a proper dinner in the form of a can of ravioli. Pachi got some nuts and leafy greens, and the the Demon got a poultry mix. As he and his Pokemon finished eating, he simply relaxed with them. The Demon slept to his left, and Pachi to his right on the chair's armrest.

A couple minutes after, the door creeked open. It was Volkner.

"Hey." He stepped inside. Nori peered at him with a huge smile. "What?"

"Soooo?" he asked expectantly. "What do you have to say?"

The blond man didn't reply for ten seconds. Nori continued to stare with wide-eyes, and not a shred of hostility. Yet. The Gym Leader eventually grumbled. "Congratulations. You happy?" he bitterly spat.

"Very!" he replied with genuine glee and a tiny giggle.

The Gym Leader sighed, shaking his head. Nori turned his gaze into something of a glower.

"What now?"

"You should know what."

"No?"

His words were harsh and mocking. "You've been mad at me ever since I lost to Sofie, all because of your stupid feud with Flint. And you hate me just as much as them, don't you? You let Kallisto and his goons get away with everything, but you get on my case for every little thing you don't like. And you set me up to fail today, just to get rid of me. But guess what?" His positive attitude returned, he declared, "I succeeded, and I did it my way. I won! So there! Haha!"

Nori figured this defiant attitude was going to piss his so-called teacher off. He was actually half-expecting Volkner to flunk him anyway, and wanted to get in one final shot at him before that. But he was wrong. The Gym Leader actually appeared mildly amused by it.

"I guess so," he admitted. "But I'm in a difficult situation with Kallisto. I hope you can understand." And he lowered his head? "I was out of line the past month and a half. I was out of line today, too. I know an apology won't be enough. So I'll do what I can to make it up."

This took Nori, and even Pachirisu aback. The little squirrel nearly fell to the floor before his trainer caught him. Nori placed the Pokemon on his lap, still in disbelief. Volkner was apologizing? And he meant it? Was this the same guy he'd known the past four months? There were times where he was kind and helpful, sure, like in the wake of Kallisto's assault. But more often than not, he was a jerk, to put it lightly. Right now, he was showing actual remorse, and even humility.

The man turned away. "I don't hate you, just. Never been a good teacher, sorry. Or, good with people."

Nori reflected on things. It did feel like Volkner didn't want to teach him from day one. Yet it turned out it was because of worrying about his own inability, not because he didn't want to train Nori specifically. And he was saying he wasn't good with people? Yes, Nori could one hundred percent see that.

The boy sighed. He wasn't about to forget this, and Volkner came close to crossing the line. He made that perfectly clear with his firm words. "If you're trying to push me by making me mad, it worked. But I'd prefer you don't, thank you."

A nod. "Noted."

"And it was stupid to put me in an unfair fight."

The Gym Leader shook his head at himself. "Yes. This was unprofessional of me."

"As long as you get that." He couldn't keep hating Volkner if he was genuinely remorseful, unlike how Kallisto and the others were at times. It just wasn't in his heart.

Pachirisu happily clapped at the sight of the two making up. The Gym Leader glanced around the room. "Do they keep their beers here?" he asked.

"Uh, the Gym Trainers? I don't know. I don't think so?" The boy never looked. That stuff smelled putrid anyway. "Hey, reminds me. If you know, that's underage drinking, right?"

The man went over to the fridge. "It's no big deal. Their responsibility." Nori figured he'd say something like that. One of the things he'd been learning in law, the drinking age was 20 years. All of them were way underage, although none were as bad about drinking as some of the adults in his trailer park. People rarely cared about little crimes like this. And Nori wasn't about to narc on them himself. He doubted people would care anyway, especially since it was Kallisto.

Volkner settled for a fizzy cola, cracking it open and having some on the spot. He came back with another can in his left hand, passing it to Nori. The boy was surprised on seeing it was a ginger ale. "You remembered I like these!" he gasped. He'd only mentioned that offhandedly once or twice.

The Gym Leader sank into one of the chairs. He took a swig of his cola and sighed. "I don't like how you did this. But the fact that you managed to defeat Eddie means there's something to it."

"Well, you win how you have to, right? I know some people look down on brute force and training hard. But I won with it." He actually wasn't sure if he could've won any other way, given Pachi needed the training. The squirrel did an amazing job. He gave him a pat, reaching out to lightly do the same to the sleeping Demon. "We got that stupid jerk back from earlier this month by beating him two on three."

The blond man chuckled. "So you did."

"I know I can't overpower everything, and even when I do I need to be smart about it. But I think it is a valid strategy in battle."

"As you've proven. And, you have proven you do know traditional strategy as well. When you want to use it."

"Or have to."

The two sat quietly for a minute, enjoying their beverages. Eventually, Volkner threw something of a small bombshell at him.

"You didn't have to win today. All I was looking for was what you'd do."

Nori drummed his fingers. In the back of his mind, he may have had a feeling, given it happened before. But he wasn't about to take that chance. "I thought I couldn't lose," he said. "No matter what. Just like against Gasha."

"You didn't give up, and you won. You have what it takes to handle serious battles."

Again, silence. Nori watched Volkner carefully. He was evidently musing something difficult, maybe something he didn't want to say?

He eventually did speak up. "I was surprised when you chose to have the Demon choose to fight without orders. Again. Despite being told not to."

The boy shrugged. "I mean, she knows how to do so. And it really threw them off. Why's that so wrong?"

Volkner finished his drink before going into a small speech. All of it was cordial and respectful. "Nori. Most Pokemon are trained to follow their trainers commands exactly. Some will not so much as dodge an attack without being asked to. Trained Pokemon battling on their own is something that only master trainers employ, or in certain restricted battles. Your Nidorina is a special case, a Pokemon that has naturally honed battle instincts. The problem I have is not that you are doing this. You are going to be working with a lot of Pokemon who will have violent instincts. If you leave them to their own devices in battle, they might do something you will regret. And it will be on you. This is why I want you to battle like a normal, basic trainer. Give Pokemon orders, and have them follow them."

The boy shook his head. "I can understand that. But, why can't I do both? I can just tell those really bad ones to stop if they go too far, or just call them back like I used to. Plus I don't think it's very good to force Pokemon to do everything you say, nor would it go over very well to suddenly start doing that with the Demon. They should have their say too, and you saw how it helped me."

He wasn't sure where his words were coming from. As if sensing she was being spoken about, the Demon tiredly looked up.

"In fact, come to think about it, I think that's why I managed to tame...no, befriend her." The teal creature gave him a funny, yet happy look. "She was very strong herself, but with me, she was even stronger. I let her be her. And when we battle, she sees some things I don't, and I see some things she doesn't. We're a real team that way. I don't think she would've listened to a normal trainer who tells her what to do all the time."

Did that make any sense? He had the feeling for a while. He looked at the Demon. She actually nodded to confirm, and barked something. From her body language, it seemed like a yes. Or, was it no?

"And, uh, besides!" He nervously laughed, playing it off just in case. "You've seen how people get thrown off by it. Especially those who like to counterattack all the time. And master trainers do it! So, doesn't that give me a headstart, if the goal is to make me a great trainer?"

Once more, a curtain of silence descended upon them. The Demon shook her head and went back to sleep. Pachi hopped down and started chattering encouragingly to her, patting her with his tiny paws. She pulled away in irritation. Yeah, at least Nori could get that much from context. She probably had confirmed their friendship, and he'd ruined the moment with his doubt and addendum.

"Heh." Volkner snickered. He vaguely smiled. And then, he laughed. It was genuine laughter. Nori had never seen the Gym Leader do this before. The boy's mouth hung open and his eyes stretched wide as Volkner cracked up. "You're so naive," he remarked through breaths.

The boy could only sigh. "That was dumb and made no sense, right?" If he had 1000P for every time he tried to look cool yet looked like a dork instead...

Volkner wiped a tear. He'd been laughing so hard he was crying. Nori could only cringe at himself. "The opposite," he clarified, all-smiles. "You're making too much sense. I can see now why they chose you for this position."

Making too much sense? That didn't make sense! But at least Volkner wasn't making fun of him. Well, maybe he was a little, but he approved of what he was doing and how he was doing it. That was the important part. Right?

"You do understand that approach won't work with every Pokemon?" the blond man asked, more seriously.

He blinked. "I know. Every Pokemon's different. What worked for the Demon won't work for everything."

"Good. Keep doing what you're doing. We'll see where you go from here." He nodded. "Get some rest. We'll talk more about things tomorrow."

With this, he got up to leave. Nori breathed a sigh of relief, laying back and continuing to sip his ginger ale. For the first time since mid-March, it felt like things were going to work out.

##########​

After Ollie left with his parents, the remaining Gym Trainers of Sunyshore Gym got in Kallisto's convertible and drove back in uncomfortable silence. They'd even asked if they could skip cleanup, thankfully getting permission to do so. For about ten minutes, they said nothing. Kallisto focused on the road. Tono was looking at his phone on the passenger side. Eddie was quiet in the back.

Kallisto had been expecting something out of Volkner, but he was stunned it turned out to be a battle where Nori was at a blatant disadvantage. However, he was even more shocked that the future official won anyway. To say nothing of the others. Eddie was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, ranting and raving until they calmed him down, and still out of sorts now. Tono was uncharacteristically silent, and Ollie was worrying that he was becoming the weakest trainer in the Gym if he wasn't already. As for Kallisto himself, he had mixed feelings. Nori had grasped victory from a seemingly impossible position. His boasting was immature, yet they couldn't say he didn't earn the right to brag. They only gave him some brief compliments before taking their leave. Kallisto wasn't sure what else to say, and the others had no interest in speaking with him for one reason or another.

"Sorry, still can't get over this." Eddie muttered in frustration. "How could I fuckin' lose? I had everything thought out. Volkner even gave me the numbers advantage. But I lost! I still fuckin' lost! Shit!"

"I didn't see that 2-on-3 coming." In multiple ways. He assured his friend, "But you did your best out there."

"Easy for you to say."

Kallisto sighed. "I'm not sure what else to say." That went for Eddie as much as it did Nori. A loss like that had to be devastating. He'd beaten some trainers with only a handful of his before - be it in proper battles or explicitly giving a handicap to them - but there was a difference in those cases wherein the expected weaker trainer was given the advantage. Volkner had later told him the point of the battle was a test, although Kallisto didn't agree with it.

He would've told Nori in advance if he knew what they were planning, even lent him a Pokemon if he was willing. It would've been within their boundaries. Perhaps that's why he was left out of the loop. Tono had known for a couple days, and had apologized profusely for not letting him in.

"Credit where it is due." Tono looked up from his phone. "Nori Carino is far more capable than he appears."

Both he and Eddie nodded in concurrence. It was no fluke. Nori may favor power over strategy, but he could train Pokemon and think on his feet. And somehow, it was enough to defeat Eddie two Pokemon to three. This had been a test of both skill and character for him, which he exceeded expectations on.

"If I may, I analyzed the battle," Tono volunteered. His best friend studied battles extensively. It was a hobby in his spare time, and a tactic he used to plot strategy against serious opponents.

Eddie shrugged. "Knock yourself out."

He reached into his jacket's inner pocket and pulled out a black notepad, illuminating it with his phone's light. "The tide first turned when his Pachirisu, Pachi as I believe he calls it, defeated your Electabuzz."

Kallisto concurred. "He did a good job with training the little guy."

"In RPG terms, he level grinded." It wasn't actually an improper comparison, given Pokemon had a semblance of levels. "You already realized it earlier, but that allowed him to swap his Nidorina out against Octillery to foil your status plans. He must've realized that's what you had in mind." Tono paused. "Of course, there was his dirty tactic of switching in the middle of Surf."

"Figured it was overdue, but wasn't gonna pass up the chance to mess with him." Eddie shook his head. "But Earth Power, shit."

"I didn't even know Nidorinas could use Earth Power," Kallisto remarked. There were some things that even he could be surprised by, he supposed.

"They have to be very high level. Most trainers will have evolved theirs by then."

"And he was saving it all this time to use now?"

Kallisto sighed knowingly. "It was meant for me."

It had struck him when seeing the brief disconnect between trainer and Pokemon. Why else would Nori keep a move like that hidden from them for so long? He hated him, he wanted to beat him. And with her level of power, Kallisto didn't doubt the Demon could severely weaken or even bring down one of his Pokemon with that attack. Maybe even Raitora.

Tono tapped his chin. "Hm. I can see him pulling a stunt of that nature."

"Thanks, Eddie. He had to resort to playing his hand against you. Might've been me in your shoes."

"Fuck off." Eddie grumbled before realizing something. "Wait, you scared of losing to him?"

"No comment."

He wasn't about to admit this to anyone except Tono, but he was. He almost lost to Nori last month. If Xurkitree hadn't managed to land that last Thunder, the Demon would've brought the Ultra Beast down. He'd underestimated her, perhaps overestimated his Pokemon. Contrary to people's beliefs, Kallisto didn't mind taking losses. If it was a hard-fought battle against a tough opponent, or someone who was better than him, he could admit it. It was an opportunity to learn his weaknesses and patch them up.

He just hated losing when the win was undeserved. He always had, be it someone like Nori Carino there hypothetically or a half-Swedish sixteen-year-old challenger he fought when he was Nori's age. Calix Blomkvist? It was Blomsomething, at least. It was dumb luck, a loss that shouldn't have happened. A black stain on his record. One that he'd never been able to scrub.

"In any case, yes," said Tono. "If it had not been for that move, a Nidorina weakened by a battle with your Octillery would have stood no chance against a fresh Magnezone. Stunts notwithstanding."

Kallisto nodded. "Jumping onto it, yeah."

"Didn't see that coming," Eddie agreed. "Gotta say, that was impressive."

That, Kallisto could agree with. "Very esoteric." Arguably a strategy so stupid, only a genius or idiot would've thought of it. Or perhaps a savant.

Tono harrumphed. "There was little to be impressed with, in my opinion. It was just a vicious, desperate attack without any sort of technique. Nothing more than a base attempt to overpower."

He could only chuckle at his best friend. "Harsh as always." Tono had a very specific idea of what a trainer should be, and everyone else was a fool or amateur.

"If you think that, why don't you try fightin' him all out?" countered Eddie.

Tono pushed up his glasses. A wicked grin came over him. "I intend to do so when the time is right."

##########​

April 21st, 2015

Nori woke up bright and early the next morning. He jumped out of bed with delight and a ‘hoo!’ which roused Pachi from his little bed on the table. For the first time since Lux disappeared, he felt like himself. The only thing that could've made it better was if his dear friend was still by his side.

Volkner was leaning against a wall as Nori went downstairs after breakfast. He looked up from his car magazine and smiled.

"Good morning, Nori."

"Hey, Volkner."

So far, so good. It was like night and day with Volkner. Sure, he said all those things and was being kinder than ever before. He even called him by name, which was horrendously rare and usually done with negative connotations. But the boy was still wary of him. He was kind of like this after Kallisto attacked him, only to flip when he lost to Sofie. They were on the same page for now, but who could say when he was going to turn on him again?

The man approached and stood before him. He awkwardly fidgeted for a couple seconds before speaking. "So, um. I was thinking. I haven't been the best teacher. Treated you wrong more than once. You're a good kid. Not a...bad one like I thought." He took a deep breath and looked straight at him. "I want to make up for the last month and a...no, the last four months. Is there anything you want from me?"

The boy's face lit up. But before he could speak, Volkner cut in.

"Uh. Besides dealing with Kallisto. Only things I can do."

The boy huffed. "Aw, there goes my first thought. I'm not really sure. Can I think about it more?" Volkner nodded, as if to say take all the time he needed. "I guess one thing for now. I was sent here to learn how to battle like a pro. I think I want to learn some of that advanced strategy stuff."

"I can do that. But only so much."

"What? Why?" he asked. "Aren't you supposed to be my battling teacher?"

"It's not that," said Volkner. "You're unorthodox. Simple, in a good way. But you can think. Gives you a huge advantage on its own. You're finding your own path. Don't want to change that."

Was Volkner trying to say he was developing his own strategy? Maybe he somehow was. What was it, though? That foreman's words, flashy and powerful, sometimes echoed in his mind. It didn't sound too bad. That's why he went for a stylish finish at the end of the battle. But it couldn't just be that.

The blond man continued, "What I can do is teach you training techniques and strategy that's both broader and very specific."

"Like how to counter certain things?"

"Yeah."

The boy nodded. That would do, the first part in particular. Nori wasn't sure if his training techniques were optimal. He was just having his Pokemon use the equipment. Surely there was more to it than that, right? And what about when he left the Gym?

"Mind if I...ask something, too?"

"What is it?"

"Flint and Sofie. You'll have to battle her again sometime, officially."

"For the Elite Four position, right? We're part of your test, aren't we?"

A curt nod. "Yeah," he confirmed what Nori had been suspecting. "Can I count on you to win when the time comes?"

The boy flashed a smirk. "Depends on how much training you give me."

Volkner snickered. "Heh. Got me there." He leaned back against the wall.

"The most important thing about a pro team is synergy. How well your team works as a whole. Dunno if this was on purpose, but you've been doing a bit of it by slowing things with Pachirisu's paralysis before throwing the Demon at them." It wasn't, sort of. Nori was aware it worked, but it was spur of the moment whenever it happened. Like against that teenage girl and her Sceptile.

"I get it. That's why they're called teams, aren't they?"

"Exactly. Though your Pokemon need to work on their own, too." He nodded his approval. "Just a little lesson for now." The man checked his watch, double-checking it with the clock on the wall. "Should get moving before you're late."

"Okay, thank you."

Nori was about to start back up the stairs, when he remembered something. It was a good idea to ask about it now, while Volkner was in a good mood.

"Hey, one more thing." The Gym Leader looked at him inquisitively. "I joined the news club. Is it okay if I stay after school to work with them sometimes?"

Instantly, the man before him transformed into the Volkner he knew. The blond man slumped, shook his head, scowled, and put a palm to his forehead, all at once.

"I take it that's a no?" Maybe it was too much to ask.

"It's fine," he assured, also in a more familiar tone, that of annoyance. "Just let me know when you plan to, and don't bring her here. She's a pain in the ass."

He didn't have to say who he was talking about. Nori understood completely. "Okay," he promised. "But she might still come in on her own." He decided it was better not to tell him she was here yesterday.

Volkner walked away, derisive yet chuckling to himself. "Don't know how you put up with her."

"Arumi's fine once you get to know her."

---​

When he made it to school, the aforementioned future reporter was one of the first people he ran into. She was parading around the entrance area, and as usual, was shouting her latest headline while handing out papers.

"Official In-Training Nori Carino Emerges Triumphant, Maintains Prospects at Sunyshore Gym Exhibition!"

The boy was descended on by his peers, getting congratulations left and right. A girl with sky-blue hair even ran up to him and asked him out. He was tempted to say yes on the spot, but only told her with a smile that he'd think about it before going to speak with Arumi.

"Nice job, Nor'!" she said with a wild grin. "I saw the whole thing!"

"You were there?" he pretended to show surprise.

"Of course!" She posed triumphantly. "Sneaking in was easy! Couldn't get a statement though. Hey, could I get one now?"

"I'd have to think of one. I'll let you know soon."

"Okey-dokey!"

She handed him the article. It was one sheet, double-sided. She must've did this last night, all on her own. It had a brief outline of the battle and the history surrounding it, some statements from people that were probably given unknowingly, and even touched on the Gym Trainers' reactions.

"But what if I lost?" he asked, out of curiosity.

"I would've wrote the truth!"

"You'd be rubbing things in..." he groaned.

"Former Future Official Nori Carino Loses Position in Unfair 2-on-3!" She winked. "Don't worry, everyone knows that was rigged. Made your victory even sweeter, though!"

"He just got lucky."

Heads turned as Spike and some others marched towards him. A couple of them Nori recognized from around the battling cages; there were six in total.

"Not impressed, softy," taunted the bully. "Any other day of the week, any rematch, you would've lost."

"But I won," he replied, unimpressed with Spike's insults. "That's what matters, right?"

"Say what you want, softy. Don't mean you ain't a luckshitting little shit." With this, Spike snapped his fingers, turned on his heels, and left. The others scattered off, a couple of them eying Nori as they did so.

Arumi patted him on the back. "Don't take it too hard, Nor'. With greatness comes criticism!"

The bell rang. As it quieted down, Nori replied, "I wasn't, not from him at least. Who cares what that idiot bully thinks?" He cared even less about the others. "You know, I have more to say than just a statement, but we'll talk more at lunch." He could give her a whole interview if she wanted. He hadn't forgotten that, even if she seemed to have.

"Great! See you then!"

The two parted ways and went to class.

---​

On the way to the video production room during lunch, Nori continued to get praised as he walked through the halls. A teacher even came up and asked that he join the battling club. Nori politely declined, on account of already having a club.

The five were waiting for him, greeting him with clapping as he stepped inside. Gino and Beau gave verbal praise. Lorant stoically nodded. Arumi whooped. Yuki ran up and grinned, patting him on the shoulders.

It all brought a smile to Nori's lips. Everything was looking up.

##########
=========
##########

The first major battle of the fic is in the books. It was actually one of the first things I worked on, intended to be a key moment in the plot. I worked in the hows after: the prank/assault on April Fools and the reason for Volkner getting so pissed and making the battle how it was. The biggest change in development was Earth Power. That being learnable on Nidorina in the Crown Tundra made the ending a lot less clunky, but part of the original idea was used to ground it.

Edward "Eddie" Hankstein's Roster:
- Magnezone {Ace}, Octillery {#2}, Electabuzz, Carnivine, Lickitung, Solrock / Manectric, Machoke

Small extra feature here: all the Gym Trainers were given full rosters, although not all of them got mentions or have/will see use - those are behind backslashes and might be subject to change.

Last edited:
Awwww YEAH!!! Now THIS is awesome!! I think this chapter should be called "Nori Finally Gets Thrown a Bone," because his win against Eddie is not only beyond satisfying, but changes a lot of things here as well. Not only is Volkner FINALLY owning up to his jerkassery and trying to make it up to him to an extent, he actually gives Nori very valid advice without being an ass about it. Plus, I've been waiting to see Eddie get his ass handed to him. You really delivered on that front. Honestly, I found this much more satisfying than when Nori kicked Eddie in the balls because of the latter's water prank. Buuuuuut considering the story isn't over yet, I have a feeling things won't be this rosy and nice forever, no matter how much I wish it were the case. Also, I thought Nidorina had learned Earthquake at first, but then I looked it up and saw that Nidorina can't learn that. They can learn Stomping Tantrum though, which is also a ground type move, though only by TM. Anyway, this was a great chapter!

*The crowd reacts appropriately to this twist.
*"We're just better than you, admit it."
When you have a three to two advantage, sure. What a twat.
*Holy crap ripping it's antenna off. Poor Magnezone.
*Yep, new move is Earth Power.
*He won but I still have an uneasy feeling.
*Volkner now acting more like he did right after the attack.
*"He couldn't keep hating Volkner if he was genuinely remorseful, unlike how Kallisto and the others were at times. It just wasn't in his heart."
Honestly I think what's going on with Nori and Kallisto is the most interesting thing in the story so far.
*Pachi's reaction does remind me that as a Gym 'mon he probably has some connection to Volkner and the others...
*Yep, similar to Gasha; he could have lost but if he showed improvement it would be a pass.
*So, Volkner explains his perfectly legitimate concern about Nori letting Nidorina act on their own. Nori does have a good response, but he does realize it won't always be wise.
*So Kallisto would have lent Nori a Pokémon to even it up if he knew.
*Kallisto dislike of "undeserved losses" is interesting and fits with his distaste for the three on two battle.
*I have to agree with Nori that he still can't entirely trust Volkner.
*We'll see how long Volkner's nicer attitude lasts this time. We know from canon he loses the E4 position to Flint, after all.
*Arumi, at least, would have his back. Eddie really wouldn't be able to win even if he won in that regard. Nobody would take his victory seriously.
*Things are going well. Which is, in it's own way, quite worrying.

A satisfying win for Nori, but even though one or two issues are solved there's still several others; most of the Gym Trainers are still against him (and there's that cold opening), I don't trust Spike not to do something, and I don't entirely trust Volkner to remain steady if Nori loses to Sofie again.

Awwww YEAH!!! Now THIS is awesome!! I think this chapter should be called "Nori Finally Gets Thrown a Bone," because his win against Eddie is not only beyond satisfying, but changes a lot of things here as well.
The title actually originally was: VERSUS EDWARD "EDDIE" HANKSTEIN. However, since the battle worked far better cut in two and most of it was the aftermath, I decided it didn't fit.

Not only is Volkner FINALLY owning up to his jerkassery and trying to make it up to him to an extent, he actually gives Nori very valid advice without being an ass about it. Plus, I've been waiting to see Eddie get his ass handed to him. You really delivered on that front.
Eddie isn't the only one who got fed a healthy dose of humble pie here.

Also, I thought Nidorina had learned Earthquake at first, but then I looked it up and saw that Nidorina can't learn that. They can learn Stomping Tantrum though, which is also a ground type move, though only by TM. Anyway, this was a great chapter!
She learned Earth Power, as Nori ordered. It's a move the NIdos can naturally learn starting in Gen 8. Like Tono said though: before their final stage, it takes a lot of levels to do so.

*"We're just better than you, admit it."
When you have a three to two advantage, sure. What a twat.
As some of the banter suggests, this was more a shot at Nori's lack of battling talent. Hence his comeback later - it's power vs skill, and Nori's the power side. Very fair to call Eddie on that regardless, however.

*Holy crap ripping it's antenna off. Poor Magnezone.
This was related to the original idea I had for the battle before Earth Power on Nidorina was an in-game thing. Instead of dealing enough damage to make Magnezone fall while riding atop, I decided it was better to hit a critical spot that does so. That said, it's probably a good thing it was sturdy.

*"He couldn't keep hating Volkner if he was genuinely remorseful, unlike how Kallisto and the others were at times. It just wasn't in his heart."
Honestly I think what's going on with Nori and Kallisto is the most interesting thing in the story so far.
It's been the longest recurring plot thread in the fic that hasn't been cut off at the knees. Makes sense that it is.

*Pachi's reaction does remind me that as a Gym 'mon he probably has some connection to Volkner and the others...
Very much so. An even bigger detail too that you might've forgotten: Eddie was mentioned as the one who looks after and even caught some of the Gym Pokemon. He fed Pachi in the past, and maybe even caught him. And now Pachi's come to hate him.

*So, Volkner explains his perfectly legitimate concern about Nori letting Nidorina act on their own. Nori does have a good response, but he does realize it won't always be wise.
Smarter than he seems.

*So Kallisto would have lent Nori a Pokémon to even it up if he knew.
Of course, whether or not Nori would've accepted is another question...

*I have to agree with Nori that he still can't entirely trust Volkner.
*We'll see how long Volkner's nicer attitude lasts this time. We know from canon he loses the E4 position to Flint, after all.
A good thing to be worried about.

*Arumi, at least, would have his back. Eddie really wouldn't be able to win even if he won in that regard. Nobody would take his victory seriously.
To Eddie, this was more about humiliating Nori on a grand stage rather than getting a serious victory over Nori. Unfortunately for him, he was the one who got humiliated.

A satisfying win for Nori, but even though one or two issues are solved there's still several others; most of the Gym Trainers are still against him (and there's that cold opening), I don't trust Spike not to do something, and I don't entirely trust Volkner to remain steady if Nori loses to Sofie again.
Buuuuuut considering the story isn't over yet, I have a feeling things won't be this rosy and nice forever, no matter how much I wish it were the case.
Indeed. There's lots of stuff to worry about moving forward, and still a ton more things to resolve. Fic is far from over! And relatedly, one scheduling note: the fic might slow a bit during the May chapters since they're not as complete as I want to yet, but if so, they'll resume to normal afterwards.

Month 4: April of Change (seventh part)
April of Change (seventh part)
April 22nd, 2015

Nori was able to give Arumi the full backstory behind the battle on exhibition day, from the details of the prank, to his loss to Sofie Shadden that got Volkner angry, down to their reconciliation after he beat Eddie. He touched on Kallisto's involvement as well, though both agreed it might be best to downplay it. In thanks, she said she'd buy him lunch tomorrow. He readily agreed, as he was starting to get tired of the stuff from the Gym. He'd been having soup or pasta in a thermos since school had started to mix things up, but even that was getting old.

The school's meal center was located next door to the cafeteria. Nori hustled out after class to get in line. He passed by Eddie on the way, or rather, Eddie saw him and immediately went the other way. He'd been doing that the last two days. To his chagrin, there was already a considerable line for food. Luckily, Arumi was already there. She waved and motioned to stand with her. Nobody complained.

"Thanks again for the help yesterday, Nor'! It made for a great extra for the newsletter today!" She slapped him on the back and laughed. "First time I'm eating with a friend this year! I used to eat with Sato about once a month. Oh, by the way!" She grinned. "Wanna be my wingman and help me win his heart?"

"Um, I don't know this Sato," he replied. "And every guy has different things they like. But if you need advice, I can try to give it?"

"Works for me!" She snapped her fingers over her head, winked, and did a finger pose. "By the way, you see the national news?"

He tilted his head. "Uh, did I make the news somehow?"

"Just a blurb in the sports section of the regional. And you made the back page of the local!" He actually did? He wanted to see that, but Arumi whipped out a different newspaper. "Elm Labs' Robber Still at Large! 13-year-old Amara Parisa Wanted by Police!

Nori took the paper and skimmed the article. One thing that stood out was she was on the blacklist prior to this, people not legally allowed to own Pokemon. The boy closed his eyes. He was threatened with being put on that if he hadn't been able to tame the Demon. He didn't care at first, but having owned them for a while now, he could fully understand what it'd be like for those who had an interest in Pokemon. He couldn't imagine life without them anymore.

"So...it's a Pokemon thief," he stated with a shrug, passing it back to her. "What's so special about her except being around our age?"

"Call it reporter's instinct!" Arumi stated with another wink and finger snap, stuffing the paper back into her coat. "You don't just steal something from a prestigious lab just like that! But this girl did, and she's eluded police so far! I just know she's not going to be easy to catch! We could have a future great thief in the making here!" She wildly and dramatically gesticulated as she talked the subject of the article up. "I can see it now! Twenty years from now, legends are going to be passed down of the Great Snatchy-Fingers Amara! It's not just her though, there's also the scandal with security and how they let it happen, and, and..."

She paused to catch her breath, giving Nori time to point something out.

"It's an interesting story, but I know the others will be like, what does this have to do with us? That's way out in Johto." He personally found it interesting, but had to admit, it wasn't relevant to their current situation.

"Nothing," she stated. "Besides showing you're never too young to be great. That's our hook. Of course, you and I are proof too."

That was true. Although, Nori was more wondering what this Amara's motivations were. Why would she risk everything stealing a Pokemon from a prestigious lab? She had to have a good personal reason, right?

Arumi rolled her shoulders. "This is the exact kind of story I want to find for myself to report on someday." He couldn't blame her, it was likely a great one. Changing the subject, she went, "So hey, heard they hired a new lunchman a week ago."

At that moment, the girl in front of them got her food and left. They stepped forward, and the new hiring in question greeted them. "Alola, dude and dudette."

Nori froze up. "Oh, no."

"Hey!" Arumi recognized him. "Weren't you the former lifeguard at Tonsen Land?"

"Sure am!" Nori was hoping it was just a guy who sounded like him. And looked like him. And acted like him. But it was him. "Then I worked at WyldSyde Sports, till I got fired for shreddin' for a prospective boarder."

Arumi glanced at Nori questioningly. She was a newshound, she had to have known about the waterpark incident at least. Maybe not the sporting store incident, to which the lunchman also appeared to have forgotten. The boy nodded, and shook his head. She got the message, zipping her lips.

"Name's Billy Ordride!" he extinguished any doubt about his identity. "Whatcha having?"

"Uh, whatcha offering?" the boy nervously asked.

"Well you can head into the soup!" he declared, with an enthusiasm that made even Arumi cringe. "We got miso, chicken, mushroom, tomato, veggie, and of course, ramen. No chowder though, heh. Got sandwiches. Rice and rice balls. Don't confuse'em with donuts like a Benny. Got fruit and veggies if you wanna be fit as a fiddle like me. Bentos and kyoshakas too."

"Uh, it's kyushoku," Nori corrected.

Ordride shrugged. "Yeah, sure. Got some real messy mushburger too. Don't ask what's in it. Give you real bad backwash. That 'ol aggro goober's secret recipe. Total fakie chef. Know that even as a grommet."

"He's right," Arumi whispered. "Stay away from that." He had no idea what half of that meant, but with Arumi's confirmation, got the general gist.

"Rest of the menu's up there, so just–"

"Ordride!" a voice boomed from the back of the kitchen. It was so hoarse and deep, Nori didn't want to speculate what the owner looked like. "Are you chatting with the kids too much again?!"

"Sorry, don't mean to be a Jake!" he yelled back. He spun and turned back to them. "So you buying grub or you just hodads?"

The reporter girl spoke up. "I'll have the rice and dumpling bento, with vegetable soup and orange juice!"

"Um," Nori quickly scanned the menu, being quickly overwhelmed. He'd never had this much to choose from before in his life! He made an impulsive decision. "The...daily special with ginger ale, please?"

Arumi whistled. "Daring."

"Tubular!" Ordride said with a fist pump. "I'll set to fixin' it!" The man quickly got to work, taking out the ingredients with a flourish. "Hang there and watch these rad moves!"

Moving and grooving to an inaudible beat, he set about Nori's meal first. He whipped a paper plate down, picked up some spinach, sprinkled it around, scooped some meatballs, did a twirl, and accidentally flung a few onto the stove behind them. One somehow knocked over a can, spilling the liquid within over the appliance and onto the floor. A stray ember from the element licked the fluid, igniting a small portion of it.

"Oh, shit..."

Ordride turned off the stove and took the pot off the element at once. He lunged for a bottle of water and unscrewed it. Alarm bells went off in Nori's head.

"Wait, that's a grease–"

It was too late. He dumped it over the flames, and this caused them to spread further. "SHIT! SHIT!" he cursed, stumbling away from the blaze, which was quickly threatening to grow out of control. "FIRE! FIRE! UWAHHH!!!"

A panicky student pulled the fire alarm. Nori's stomach roared its disapproval over the screaming bell. He slapped it quiet and stomped away, shaking his head. Arumi was right in behind him.

"I guess he's getting fired again," he grumbled.

"Start a fire, get fired!" Arumi joked, somehow able to find humor in this. "He got fired the first time for not watching you, right?"

"I think he got fired from his sports job because of me, too."

"And he doesn't recognize you?!"

"Seems not." Would the fourth time be the charm? Or maybe he wouldn't hear from the guy again. That would be the best case.

"Guess we'll have to do lunch some other time!"

The boy sighed as his stomach growled again. "Didn't bring any myself today." He figured why bother, when Arumi was planning to treat him?

"Heh heh heh." Arumi deviously rubbed her fingers together. "Lucky I have my secret stash of snacks in my locker! Should keep us going till we get home!"

"That would help a bit, thanks." Of course, they'd have to leave the stupid building and wait for the stupid fire department to fix this stupid moron's mistake before that. Not how he wanted the day to go.

---​

Betsy-Ann was waiting for him in the lobby when he got back. "Nice to see ya!" the overall-wearing medic greeted. "How was school?"

Nori paused. "Well, the kitchen partially burned down."

"Ya didn't do it, did ya?" she teased.

"Sort of."

She blinked. "I was just kiddin'," she asked, with equal parts curiosity and unease.

Nori had just wanted to see what her reaction would be. He fully intended to clarify, "The former new lunchman did it when preparing my order. Then he tried to put out a grease fire with water. From what I heard, the head lunchlady put it out, but the stove, counter, and floor got wrecked."

The rural medic in-training breathed a sigh of relief and laughed. "Ah, yer just bein' funny. Glad yer okay at least. Worried me for a tick, there."

"Sorry." The boy chuckled. He was sort of responsible, in a technical sense, but the real problem was that guy being a stupid moron who didn't know basic kitchen safety. "Nice chatting, but I should get going. Need to have real food, instead of just some chips and a chocolate bar."

A nod. "A'course."

##########​

April 24th, 2015

As usual on the morning block of Friday, Nori went to that sideroom in the school. He was still uncertain what purpose it served. Some forgotten storage room where they stick their old textbooks? His Official teacher probably wouldn't know for sure, either. Five minutes after classes started is when Rin Kakoku walked in.

"So, what'd you think of the battle?" he asked the one-eyed woman as she was coming up the stairs.

"Not bad. Not good. Congratulations, in any case." She smirked. "I wouldn't have let your work go to waste even if you lost."

"What? What do you mean?"

"I'm saying I would've spoken up if the blond rat tried to gas you."

Was she saying if he failed Volkner's test, she would've helped him? "You could've told me that before!" he angrily snapped, slamming a fist on his desk.

"If you knew, you wouldn't have done what you did. I wanted to see how you'd perform when backed into a corner. You passed."

"I still would've, because screw Eddie!" He could see the logic, but that didn't mean he liked it! Knowing would've taken a lot of stress off, and he'd still fight to his fullest.

It didn't register. "But don't get cocky. One wrong move in the field and you could end up like me. So we'll be working on investigative work later, and for now, firearms practice."

"Firearms?!" a shocked Nori echoed. "You mean, guns?!"

"Yes," came the reply, as if it were nothing.

She was already on the way down the stairs. Nori ran over to the railing, wildly waving his hands to get her attention. "Hold on, hold on! Wait a minute, wait a minute! Guns?! Why?!"

"Three reasons," said his official teacher. She raised a finger. "One, target practice. You'll need to know how to recall a Pokemon quickly if you need to."

That made sense. There were a couple times early on with the Demon where he had to bring her back before she seriously injured a Pokemon. One time, he even had to run after her, using his knowledge of the city to cut her off. If something was trying to escape, evade the beam, or was far away, he'd have to know how to aim well.

Up went a second finger. "Two, your equipment will include a tranquilizer gun for subduing Pokemon. It's to be used for those purposes only. This is a privilege, and will be revoked if you abuse it."

He nodded. He wouldn't do that. Knowing himself, he might be reluctant to use the gun anyway. While having one was logical, it was was still horrendously awkward.

"And third, as an official, you might be called into the field."

Nori tilted his head. "For what?"

"Emergencies, disaster relief, and region-wide threats. Incidents where they need as much manpower as possible."

The boy cringed. He thought he was just going to help Pokemon and that's it. He could even see the reason for the tranquilizer. But he had to be available for other things too? Would that mean he'd be using a real gun if that happened?! And shooting criminals?! Sure, he liked those radio shows like Crime by Starlight, but he didn't want to do that himself!

"Let's head to the fields." The woman, very enthusiastic for once, continued down the steps. "I'll teach you everything there is to know about guns."

He'd actually used a BB gun a couple times before, but felt it was better not to mention that. It'd be way different from a real one, anyway.

---​

Over the course of the next hour, Nori learned how to handle a pistol. Ms. Kakoku was surprisingly helpful and engaging, a contrast to how she usually told him to do something or passed him a book and let him have at it.

"Unlock the safety," she told him. She demonstrated how to adjust a gun to get it ready to fire, and fasten it so it doesn't accidentally discharge while holstered.

"Both hands. You need to control the recoil." Sure enough, when he had fired with one hand, the gun flew back. It took him by surprise and made him nearly drop the weapon. Opposite force, she said, yet there was still a lot of kickback when using two. It took him several tries to get used to it.

"Check your sights." The little protrusions on top of the weapon. He was not only instructed how to hold a gun, but how to aim properly. They were using a simple training pistol, but she said the same basic principal applies to any weapon. She also demonstrated her boast about shooting with one eye was entirely truthful; she hit a tin can off one of the soccer posts from the other end of the field.

They practiced with stationary targets at first, which Nori eventually got consistent at. After this, she brought out her Pokemon - a huge bird made of dark black metal - and moved to using a moving target. Nori was worried, but Ms. Kakoku assured him the bullets were dummy rounds. They wouldn't hurt her Pokemon, and ‘probably’ not a human. Nori was decent at hitting the bird when it was moving predictably, but when it was flying erratically, he could only hit through luck.

The one-eyed woman checked her watch. "We'll stop here before the rabble comes out. Good job, Corviknight." The bird screeched happily, swooping down for a pat before she returned it.

"So?" asked Nori. "Um, was that okay?" He thought he did, but his standards weren't hers.

Ms. Kakoku spoke, "Your aim is good for a greenhorn. But you're hesitating too much. You need to be quicker on the draw, aim faster, and don't delay pulling the trigger. A second of delay can mean the difference between life or death."

He sighed. "Sorry. I get nervous holding one of these." Even if it wasn't a real gun with real ammo, it was too weird. It made him feel like a criminal or police officer.

"We all do the first few times." A beat of consideration. "All things, you were about average."

"Thanks." He was sure he'd get used to it, eventually. But right now, he couldn't get over it.

As the bell rang, the woman reached into her pocket and threw a small cylinder at him. "Here, take this."

Nori cleanly caught it out of the air, to her approval. He studied it, and quickly realized what it was. "A laser pointer?"

"So you can practice aiming a Poke Ball beam anytime. Don't shine it in anyone's eyes."

"Well, duh."

"Meet back in the room after break. We'll be starting on fieldwork."

Practice to recall a Pokemon in case it starts going out of control. Nori glanced around for anything nearby. One of the soccer goalposts was about eight meters away. He lined up his arm and pressed the button. He didn't quite hit it. He moved his hand and found he was a little too low. He tried this four more times until getting it.

---​

With Volkner's edict that he could stay after school and help the news club, Nori decided to do just that today. More time away from the Gym Trainers was always welcome.

Arumi wasn't present, nor was Gino. Beau and Lorant were working on the article for Golden Week, leaving Nori and Yuki to...well. He wasn't sure.

"So what am I supposed to be doing here?" he asked. They both had photocopies of a handwritten paper by Beau about the incident with Billy Ordride. Arumi had gotten out a quick article for it the day after, but they were going to have a more detailed account of it for their usual Wednesday paper.

"Editing," said Yuki.

"They said that, but how?"

"You know, finding typos, going over rough sentences, stuff like that." The other boy shrugged. "Didn't you have to do that in Language class? Like, write short stories and exchange them with others?"

"Yes, minus the exchange part. We had to read them to the class."

"I am curious," Beau asked, looking up from her work. The poofy-haired teen always insisted on writing on paper first before typing anything on a computer. She shared that in common with Arumi, despite her distaste for the Schrader. "What did someone like you write about?"

"Well I like crime dramas on the radio, so I wrote a crime story." He huffed, an incident coming back to him. "I got in trouble in second grade for having a scene where a cop gets shot saving his criminal wife."

They laughed. Nori frowned.

"You're not laughing at me, are you?" Sure, it was a silly story, but he was seven when he wrote it!

"At censorship," Lorant stated.

"People should be able to write about what they wish," said Beau. "That goes for fiction as much as the news."

Yuki nodded. "But yeah! It always helps to have another set of eyes to look at your work! If you can get one, that is..."

"Of course, you are free to interpret them as you wish," the poofy-haired girl stated. "A case in point, a writer friend of mine the other day got criticism online from a group of cretins who believe Pokemon names should not be capitalized."

"There's roving gangs of extremists on the internet who complain about capitalization?" That wasn't even proper capitalization!

They laughed again. Nori groaned and cringed.

"You are laughing at me..."

"No," Lorant shook his head, the stoic teen actually smiling. "At how you put it."

"It's a funny way of putting it. Kinda cute, too." Cute?! Really, Yuki? What?

Beau nodded. "The internet is sometimes a terrible place. In a way, you are quite fortunate to be free of it."

"Let's...leave it at that." The strawberry blond boy glanced down, making Nori wonder if Yuki had been bullied online. He didn't want to get into it, in any case.

Back to the editing, though. He wasn't sure if he was doing a good job or not, but it was nice to be here with friendly people. They were filling the void in his heart left behind when Lux was ripped away. Sort of. Nori and Lux were best friends, and he was the latter's only friend. Here, he had stepped into an established group. Not that there was anything wrong with that, but he did wish he had a more personal friend here...

##########​

April 25th, 2015

A fierce battle was nearing its conclusion in the arena of Sunyshore Gym. Both sides were down to their last Pokemon. A Pachirisu was running around the field in attempt to evade its burrowing opponent.

Suddenly, a long-tailed grayish cat burst into the squirrel from below. This Dig attack proved too much, and after a moment of being dazed, the white and blue Pokemon fell over unconscious.

"Yay! We did it, Wagahai!" Mona cheered her Pokemon's victory, holding out her arms. The Glameow ran over, and she pulled it into a hug. "We won! We beat the Gym Leader!"

Kallisto, who had been observing on the sidelines with the other Gym Trainers, had to admit. That last maneuver the Gym Leader performed was a stroke of genius. The best way to avoid a Dig is to move and misdirect. Continuously moving could work, but an alert Pokemon could follow their foe's footsteps and hit anyway. Seeing if they could pull that off was a brilliant way to test a newer trainer. He had many reasons for still working at the Gym, and being able to still pick up little intricacies like this was one of them.

Volkner smirked. "Well done," he congratulated. He kept the formalities brief. "Here. A Beacon Badge."

The girl's eyes sparkled as he handed her the tiny lighthouse-shaped pin. "Our first badge!" She leaped into the air with joy, her Pokemon doing the same.

After a moment of consideration, the blond man reached into his jacket and retrieved a disc. "Since you show promise, have this too. A TM for Charge Beam. How you use it is up to you. It's single-use, so use it wisely."

"Thank you, sir! I will!"

Kallisto was surprised at this act of charity. Volkner hadn't handed out one of those in over half a year. What made him change his tune and give one to a rookie trainer?

"Can leave when you're ready." With this, the Gym Leader went to the back. Mona skipped over to the observing Gym Trainers as he did so.

"Say, where's Nori?" the young girl asked.

"He is upstairs eating," Tono informed.

She pouted. "Oh, I kinda wanted to see him again."

Eddie grumbled and shook his head. "What, you got a crush on him or somethin'?!"

Mona checked the stands, the doors, and the balconies. "Don't tell him," she said, leaning in and speaking more quietly. "But a little one! He's so cute and so awesome!"

Kallisto cringed. This random girl liked Nori?! This random girl who only met him a couple weeks ago for like half an hour at best, and probably only knew him from the news? The others were just as stunned at her declaration.

"Are you jealous?" she asked, smiling in amusement.

"Absolutely not."

"Teehee! You are!" The head Gym Trainer shook his head, mostly at himself. He blurted those words, and now an eleven-year-old girl was seeing through him. "Well, don't worry about it."

"It would be unwise for a lot of reasons," he said. It was for the best to dissuade her from this. "You'll be traveling on a journey soon, and he'll still be here. A long distance relationship at your ages wouldn't work out."

"If you say so." She shrugged, not seeming to believe him. "But I should get going now! Tell him I said hi! Bye!" With a wave, she skipped off with her cat Pokemon.

After she was gone, Eddie vented his frustrations with a borderline roar. "Man, can't fuckin' believe that kid has fangirls!"

"I know," Kallisto agreed. "It makes sense, but I didn't want to think about it." Nori had decent looks, a decent personality, and was reasonably well-known as the Demon Tamer. Of course people would know him, and some of them would want to be with him.

"Uh, but don't you got a lot of fangirls too?" Ollie pointed out.

"There's a big difference between myself and Nori. I wouldn't just accept anyone who liked me. He would. Maybe even just to spite me. And he could end up in a bad relationship because of it."

His best friend spoke up. "Are you saying that girl is a bad seed?" he asked. Kallisto noted that something was simmering beneath Tono, but couldn't tell what it might be.

"I'm saying they don't know each other," he clarified. "They might not be compatible."

Tono sighed. "I believe you are worrying too much. She made clear her interest is only a passing crush. No different than a hormone-addled teenage girl ogling Aldric Everhart."

Eddie arched an eyebrow. "Ain't that the guy you listen to, tub 'o goo?"

"Hey," the chubby teen protested, "I just like his music!"

"That doesn't mean Nori won't start a relationship with one of his fangirls." Being honest, he was surprised Nori hadn't already done so. Maybe his words really did get through to him.

"You may just have to accept he eventually will at this point," Tono said. "That said, I doubt he would be able to hold onto anyone. Once any prospective girl meets the real Nori Carino, they will want nothing to do with him."

He shrugged. "Maybe. You never know what some will put up to be associated with fame." He knew that personally.

It bothered him, but it caused him to remember something. Nori turned down that girl who they saw him with. The person who perhaps was the cause of everything that had happened. He wasn't stupid about getting into a relationship. Maybe Nori was right. Maybe nobody would think any differently of him if Nori had a girlfriend and he didn't.

But that was then and this was now. With what had happened since then, Nori's judgment could certainly be clouded. And if something untoward happened...well, he would worry about about that if it ever came to that. For now, he was praying it wouldn't.

---​

Nori had been experimenting with cooking. He decided to see how ramen with macaroni sauce would taste. He had trouble mixing it together and had to melt some extra cheese slices to fully coat it. It ended up looking like a gooey yellow monstrosity, but the taste was good. He wondered how well it would do with pasta sauce to make it like spaghetti, but he couldn't find anything that fit.

He practiced with the laser pointer after eating. His aim on the draw had steadily been getting better. He also had a bit of fun having the Gym's Shinxes chase after the red dot. Eventually he got bored, and not feeling like doing homework, decided to see what was going on downstairs.

It was quiet in the lobby, with only a pair of trainers engrossed in conversation together. The security guards were patrolling. Betsy-Ann wasn't working today. Volkner was in the back. That just left the arena. Reluctantly, he went inside to see what the Gym Trainers were doing.

"Hey, Nori." Of course, Kallisto was the first to greet him.

"Hey uh! Yo!" Ollie called out to him. "That girl the other day! What's her name! Mona! She said to say hi!"

He blinked, taking a moment to remember who that was. "Oh, well that was nice of her," was all he could think to say.

Tono harrumphed. "I do not know what she sees in you." The glasses-wearing teen walked up to Nori. "You are anything but a commendable trainer. In fact, you are everything one should not be. Mark my words. I'm going to expose you as the fraud you are very soon."

Nori slowly stepped away. "Oh...kay? Did something happen?"

"Nothing important, Nori." Kallisto dismissed. Nori put his hands on his hips. That made him think it was something important, but they probably weren't going to tell him. "Well, there is one thing I'm sure you'll be happy with. The day after tomorrow, I'm taking a break for rest of April. Going to see my cousin in Celestic for Golden Week and visit the shrine."

"Why not leave tomorrow?" More days without Kallisto was a welcome thing, but what would be better was even more days without Kallisto.

"Eddie's birthday's tomorrow."

"My sweet sixteen!" the dark-skinned teen mockingly declared in a high-pitched voice, imitating a valley girl accent. "Heh, sorry."

It got a chuckle out of Ollie and Kallisto. Nori didn't get it, and Tono glared. "Never remind me of that again."

"Well, happy birthday in advance. Anything planned?" the boy asked, more out of curiosity than anything. "I take it I'm not invited?"

"Presents, food. We're holding a small celebration at the Gym." Kallisto smiled at him. "And you can come if you want."

"If there's cake, sure." Even if he didn't like these guys, he couldn't say no to cake.

Eddie laughed. "Gonna be a lot more than cake, kid."

##########​

April 26th, 2015

Eddie's birthday party took place in the trainers' lounge. The Gym closed at 6pm to accommodate the mildly lively celebration. A few of the regular staff members were in attendance, including the janitor Mr. Kubo, the other receptionist Ms. Wils, the ones who worked in the concession stand, and three of the four security guards - Jenny McCabe being the only one absent. Even Rick the Foreman was here, much to Nori's surprise.

Everyone greeted him as he walked in. Kallisto was standing with Eddie near the table. He waved. "Glad to see you made it, Nori."

"Surprised you stopped by, kid," the sixteen-year-old remarked.

"Happy birthday." Nori handed Eddie a scrap of paper. "Sorry, all I could bring you was a card I made." Nori put just enough effort into it to be meaningful, but didn't go all out because it was still Eddie.

"Sure, I'll read it later." The dark-skinned teen haphazardly stuffed it into his pocket. About the reaction he expected, and the other reason he only wrote simple birthday wishes on it.

The head Gym Trainer grabbed a red can from the table and held it out. "Want a beer?"

The boy stared at it in disgust. "I'm only twelve!"

"I AM SOOOOO WASTED!"

All heads turned to see a prancing Ollie. He flung off his shirt, held the can in his hand as high as he could, and tried to pour it into his mouth. Most of it splashed on his face. As it emptied, he barfed up some chunks of something and collapsed on the floor.

Tono's eyebrow twitched. He was leaning in a corner away from everyone else. "This isn't alcoholic, you infantile ignoramus," he scolded.

"That's why it's fine for you to have it." Kallisto smiled and offered it once more.

"It still smells horrible! I bet it tastes horrible, too!" It may not be underage drinking technically, but he bet it still sucked! He snatched the can from Kallisto, opened it, and took a sip. As soon as the rancid liquid grazed his tongue, he spit it out. "Bleh! I knew it!"

"You need to live a little, kid," Eddie spoke after taking a sip of his own drink. Even Kallisto shook his head.

There was a chime, and the voice of Mrs. Stetcher came through the speaker. "Your pizza's here."

Kallisto nodded. "I'll go get it. What kind do you like?"

"Food's food." Nori shrugged.

The head Gym Trainer nodded, leaving to get their dinner. Tono approached as he did so. "Have you had pizza before?" he inquired. "No aporophobia intended, I am simply curious."

"Aporowhat?"

"Aporophobia. It means, dislike of the poor, or of being poor."

"Oh." Tono was saying he didn't mean anything by asking that. "I've had pizza at a couple friends' places, yes. I'm not a picky eater." Sometimes he was just happy to eat. He knew how stereotypical that sounded for someone from an impoverished background, so he didn't say that part out loud.

"Not even if it's pineapple?" Ollie wheezed from the floor.

In an instant, Tono rushed over and drove his foot directly into his fellow Gym Trainer's gut. "Shut up. That is a meme that needed to die before it started."

The hefty teenager grunted. "You kick like a girl!" he fired back through clenched teeth.

Eddie shook his head at their antics. "Another internet argument?"

Tono nodded, flying into a rant that drew everyone's attention. "No one complained about it until that celebrity chef had an infamous meltdown on international television. He believes that as a popular connoisseur of cuisine he can dictate what should and should not be about food. And because of it, pineapple is being singled out when there are innumerable other toppings that are objectively ridiculous. Anchovies, mushrooms, macaroni, hot dogs, corn, prawns, bananas, ketchup, soy sauce - you slob, Ollie - wasabi, haggis, and fucking Tauros testicles to name but a few."

"Um, but aren't you being hypocritical?" Nori pointed out. He totally agreed with Tono, people should be able to decide for themselves what they like. But wasn't he like that when it came to certain things?

"It is a matter of personal tastes and how you go about expressing it. I think you're a disgrace to Pokemon training, but I won't force my opinion on others."

"But you said yesterday–"

"–that I would expose you as a fraud. That is all I said." He smirked.

It went totally quiet. All eyes were on them. Even Ollie stumbled to his feet and braced against one of the chairs to see his response. For the first time in a couple months, Nori was hoping Kallisto would show up. He looked to the doors. When there was no sign of him for five seconds, he replied.

"Are you challenging me to a battle or something?" he tentatively asked.

"I am not doing so yet," he confirmed. "But it is how I intend to prove my point, someday."

The boy sighed. "Sure, whatever."

Kallisto entered moments too late, cheerfully oblivious to the confrontation. For the best, thought Nori, as he went and got a plate. The head Gym Trainer would have things to add that he wouldn't want to hear. If things kept going like this, it would almost be not worth it to stick around for cake. Nori intended to leave as soon as he got his piece, though.

##########​

April 30th, 2015

For the first time in forever, the days flew by for Nori. Part of it had to do with Kallisto not being around. He even had a day off school, which he used to get out of the Gym for a while. The Demon enjoyed it, being able to hunt in the wild like she used to. Before he knew it, it was the last day of the month. As usual, he was left in charge. And for once, he didn't have to worry about the maintenance crews! Foreman Rick and his team got to work right away.

More importantly, he'd been promised a story from Betsy-Ann. After he got back from school, he went to the medical room. Her and Coach Norling were on-hand even when the Gym was closed, in case one of the workers got injured. He knocked, and a few seconds after, the rural teenager opened the door. They smiled at each other.

"Nice to see ya, Nori."

"Same, Betsy-Ann. So are you ready to tell me about you and Kallisto?"

"A'course." She checked with the coach, who gave his approval. "Mind if we head upstairs for this?'

"Sure, we can go to the trainer's lounge."

He guided the assistant medic upstairs. He wasn't sure if she was allowed up here. He brought Lux upstairs twice, so it was probably okay, right? If not, he still wasn't going to let it stop him. Not like anyone would know, and besides, the rest of the staff came up for Eddie's birthday.

"Nice l'il abode y'all got," she remarked, plopping down on the two-seater couch. It felt like bringing Lux upstairs, too. "Comfy stuff. Wish I could come here more often."

"Want me to make you something?" he offered. He wasn't sure what yet.

Her smile got deeper. "Thanks, maybe in a bit. Set a spell and listen."

The boy sat on the big couch. He'd been wondering about this ever since she offhandedly mentioned it. Betsy-Ann was another person who had a negative experience with Kallisto. What happened? What did he do to her? He was finally about to find out the answers to those questions.

"Happened a few years back. Both'a us were in eighth grade at the time. Like many girls my age, had a l'il crush on Kallisto." Nori figured they were the same age. The teen sighed to herself. "Got acquainted with him, further'n most got. Turned me down like all the rest, though. Told me he wanted someone who could stand with him, not behind him."

"Hm." He politely listened, not pointing out he was in the opposite perspective once. He wanted to be worthy of Claris Willins. Despite being a child actress, Claris and her parents never minded who he was. She like liked him regardless, until their big argument. Of course it would be more common the other way around...

"Wasn't the best specimen back then. So I took his words to heart and cleaned myself up. Lost some weight and started workin' to be a doctor." She laughed at herself. "Lofty goal, I know. But ma and pa helped me pull out all the stops. Wife of a friend of a cousin knew a Joy who owed her a favor. Couldn't get me into Pokemon doctor classes, but did get me into people classes. Got to where I was an understudy, then I asked 'em again in tenth grade."

She paused, curling her lip. "Turned me down again, with flimsy reasons this time. It was all a lie. He had no intention'a datin' me. Just wanted to string me along. An' worse, after's when the trouble started."

Nori nodded and waited for her to continue, much as he wanted to cut in. There was nothing wrong with Betsy-Ann! Maybe Kallisto saw it differently, but why couldn't just say no to her outright? Why'd he have to give her that false hope? How many others had he done this with, Nori wondered?

"That cheerleader, Chasity. Said she had a claim on him. Sent her friends to harass me. Called me fat and ugly. And other things I ain't repeatin'."

At this, Nori couldn't help but interrupt. "That's stupid! You're not fat or ugly! If they think you are, they need to look in a mirror that shows their insides! Then they'd see a...a...a really fat burn victim with a skin condition!"

He winced. That came out stupid. To his relief, Betsy-Ann chuckled happily. "Yer a real charmer, ya know that?"

Not really, all he was doing was stating facts. Betsy-Ann wasn't a supermodel, sure. But who was? Besides that stupid Champion who wanted to make sure everyone know she was.

"Anyways, went to Kallisto 'bout it, but he didn't do nothin'. Got so bad I had to change schools." That sounded like him, all right. Not speaking out against others, and the few times he does, he doesn't do enough to change anything. "Decided I'd keep at my goal. Didn't want it all to go to waste. An' look at me now! Ain't never thought it'd bring me here on a job shadow, though. What gets me madder than a puffed Palpitoad is he thinks nothin' of our history."

Just like with him. He wanted to bury their history and forget everything.

Betsy-Ann relaxed. "So that's it. Lookin' back, don't know what I ever saw in him. Way better guys'n him out there."

"Anyone is better than him," Nori remarked. Who in her right mind would want to date Kallisto? "He's just...I don't know! But he's not a good person!"

"Admire ya lots for standin' up to him, Nori. Think yer the only one with the guts to say that 'bout him."

"Thanks. And thank you for sticking with me." Betsy-Ann was doing a lot to ease his mind. Just having someone reasonable to talk to meant a lot. Arumi helped too, but the assistant medic was much more down to earth and usually at the Gym where they could talk anytime. "So did nobody else know what happened?"

"Oh, a'course they know. Don't care much, though. It was all that dang cheerleader, not like he sicced'em on me himself. He ain't done nothin' wrong in his life. Well, till you came along." She mulled this over. "Dunno what you did to push'em to that point. Mind tellin' me?"

"Happy to," Nori said, eagerly rubbing his hands together. He would've found a way to bring this up even if she hadn't asked. "He said he didn't want me dating anyone because he isn't. Something about making him look bad?"

"That so?" She leaned in, a devilish smirk on her lips. "Ever think about callin' his bluff?"

"Yes. But the right girl hasn't come along yet. I was thinking though, what if people knew what he did to me?"

The rural teen sat back and shook her head in derision. "Prolly just defend 'em anyway. Might even say you deserved the thrashin'."

The boy blinked. There it was again, that thing everyone kept saying. Volkner, Arumi, Betsy-Ann. All of them said most people would defend Kallisto no matter what. People liked him, sure. But they loved Kallisto. They practically worshiped the ground he walked on. He was a perfect guy who could do everything but wrong.

"Anything else you wanna talk about while we're here?" she asked.

"Well, what can we do about him?"

She waved a hand. "Jus' don't bother. He ain't worth the time."

Nori deflated. "Nothing else, then..."

Knowing that Kallisto was getting away with everything did not sit well with Nori. The boy had badly wanted to get back at him, in a way that he could get away with. What could he do? How could he get revenge on someone so perfect, that everyone but a few people loved? Was it truly hopeless?

"Hey."

He looked up to see Betsy-Ann motioning with a finger.

"Come here."

Was she...asking him to sit with her? The boy nervously did so, taking the seat next to the assistant medic. She put an arm around him, transitioning it into a comforting hug.

"It'll all work out," she whispered. "Jus' you see."

He hugged her back, albeit lightly. They were two people united by their distaste for Kallisto Keravnos. She was like an older sister to him, or at least, what he imagined how one would be. Yet, he wondered. What if it didn't work out? What if Kallisto one day decided he was going to crush him underfoot? He could easily do that, and no one would be able to help him.

"Forget'em for now," she said as she released him. "Ya said you'd fix me some grub, didn't ya?"

"Oh, sure!" he said, getting to his feet. "What do you want?"

"Whatever ya make."

"Okay!" He went off to the counter. Maybe he could try something simple with a twist? He was by no means an expert chef, but he knew his way around a kitchen and was always glad to show his skill to others. And he was going to make the best meal he could for one of his best friends!

##########
=========
##########

A/N: All of those are real pizza toppings. I had a macaroni and hot dog pizza out of whimsy a couple weeks ago. It was actually decent. Also while that running gag about Pokemon name capitalization is usually a first chapter thing, it's where the in-character conversation went, so...

Also, mentioned this before, but expect a possible slower pace in the May chapters, just so I can finish up more of them.

Last edited:
*Amara is from Juliko's "Marvelous Journey", right?
*So the lifeguard. Again.
A screwup. Again.
*I am starting to trust Arumi. She seems like a good friend to Nori.
*I am not sure what to think of Rin, yet. it's nice she'd have intervened against Volkner, at least.
*Firearms training, chance of being called into the field...seems Nori got conscripted into more than just helping dangerous Pokémon.
*Kallisto still worrying about Nori getting a love interest. I have an odd sense of doom here.
*"Eddie laughed. 'Gonna be a lot more than cake, kid.'"
I have a bad feeling about this...
*I'm sure there's some psychological study on people acting drunk when they think they'd have alcohol but haven't...
*I thought that was gonna go way worse than it did but I suppose the adult staff being on-hand would curb anything crazy.
*I'd forgotten Betsy-Ann was so young, to be honest. She feels very mature for her age.
*Ah, finally! Betsy-Ann's story...
*Okay, so that comment about being able to get into human medicine but not Pokémon makes me think that the latter is probably a lot harder with all the different types of weird species.
*Nori really, really doesn't like Cynthia.
*Hmmm. Not exactly explosive, but it fits very, very well with what we've seen of Kallisto so far. He usually avoids doing malicious acts himself, but lets others just get away with them even if he might complain or make some attempt to assist the target in a non-confrontational manner (thinking he'd lend Nori a Pokémon to even up against Eddie). Him leading Betsy-Ann on feels (my guess) related; he wasn't trying to lead on so much as not wanting to just turn her down flatly due to him preferring to avoid confrontation.

Something of a breather after the major events we had recently. How long this lull will last remains to be seen, of course. Another good chapter!

*Amara is from Juliko's "Marvelous Journey", right?
She is. Not sure if you've seen at least the preamble to "A Marvelous Encounter?" for explained context, but Nori technically started as an alternate history for her fic. This is one of the only headlines of Arumi's that's actually sort of relevant in a way besides tying into a conversation, mostly as a shoutout/allusion to its origins/inspirations. He meets Amara in person in that and the alternate world fic

*So the lifeguard. Again.
A screwup. Again.
And Nori was involved, again. He's like a bad luck magnet for the guy.

*Firearms training, chance of being called into the field...seems Nori got conscripted into more than just helping dangerous Pokémon.
One thing I established in Marvelous Journey Awry (the alternate history) and will (or will not) in the mainline canon fic is that emergency measures are a thing. Nori in fact does get called to help out at the Lake of Rage when a Gyarados rampage occurs there. That said, it is more for true emergencies - legendary disaster stuff in the mainline games, for example - and the firearms training is more for the tranquilizer. Either way, Rin was looking forward to the training for once.

*Kallisto still worrying about Nori getting a love interest. I have an odd sense of doom here.
Heh heh heh...

*"Eddie laughed. 'Gonna be a lot more than cake, kid.'"
I have a bad feeling about this...
*I thought that was gonna go way worse than it did but I suppose the adult staff being on-hand would curb anything crazy.[/
He was talking about the beer, for the record.

*I'm sure there's some psychological study on people acting drunk when they think they'd have alcohol but haven't...
It can actually be a medical condition with some people. Diabetes and hypoglycemia can both cause it, a few more serious ones can cause it, and there's something called auto brewery syndrome where your body converts sugars to alcohol. A quick search though says yes: the placebo effect can make you feel drunk without actually drinking. Got this article and...not a lot else because search results keep giving the medical condition stuff. :p

*I'd forgotten Betsy-Ann was so young, to be honest. She feels very mature for her age.
Sort of like Nori himself, in a way.

*Okay, so that comment about being able to get into human medicine but not Pokémon makes me think that the latter is probably a lot harder with all the different types of weird species.
Probably very true. Although on the other hand, operating a healing machine doesn't take much. Either way, Betsy-Ann didn't show any disappointment over it.

*Nori really, really doesn't like Cynthia.
It's almost an irrational dislike at this point...

*Hmmm. Not exactly explosive, but it fits very, very well with what we've seen of Kallisto so far. He usually avoids doing malicious acts himself, but lets others just get away with them even if he might complain or make some attempt to assist the target in a non-confrontational manner (thinking he'd lend Nori a Pokémon to even up against Eddie). Him leading Betsy-Ann on feels (my guess) related; he wasn't trying to lead on so much as not wanting to just turn her down flatly due to him preferring to avoid confrontation.
It's a solid theory. Although one thing to keep in mind: when he found out about the uneven Nori vs Eddie fight in the middle of it, he stood up to protest it in a confrontational way...before Volkner shut him down.

Quite the chapter you wrote here, and a nice breather after the events of the previous one! Gotta say, love that you're throwing in MarJour references any chance you get. I always appreciate cross-fan fic references! Also, was that point about reviewers complaining about Pokemon names' not being capitalized a direct reference to a certain reviewer who does exactly that with every story she comes across? I think I know who you're talking about, but do correct me if I'm wrong. I do love Nori's story about getting in trouble for writing a crime story in second grade. Reminds me of one time when I was in third grade, I saw an episode of America's Most Wanted once, and that episode mentioned a killer decapitating a young girl. I remember drawing up a fanmade comic similar to that, only with heroes chopping off a villain's head. My third grade teacher saw it and while I didn't necessarily get into trouble, everyone did get suddenly worried and were offended that I would draw something like that at nine years old. I had no concept of and didn't understand the gravity of such situations and just drew it because I thought about it at that time.

I am definitely worried about Tono's declaration. Why is he claiming Nori is a fraud? Just because Nori's training methods aren't like most trainers' doesn't make them any less valid. Definitely curious to see what that's all about. Poor Betsy-Ann. I feel so bad for her. Being strung along by Kallisto and then harassed by that Chastity girl. Let me guess, Chastity is one of those blonde alpha bitches who's super popular and rules the school? Or a female version of Eddie personality-wise? Oh, I forgot to mention on my reviews for this on FNN and AO3: Man, that Billy Ordride guy always seems to wind up wherever Nori's at. And almost causes a tragedy yet again. Let me guess: Potential running gag in the works? Anyway, good job on this chapter!

Gotta say, love that you're throwing in MarJour references any chance you get. I always appreciate cross-fan fic references!
Yup. Although that said so far, it's only been Amara, Pryce having the same last name, and the Dark Nightwingz. Given that MarJour just recently started timeline-wise, can only reference it so much. Especially since, like Nori said, it's not relevant to his current situation.

Also, was that point about reviewers complaining about Pokemon names' not being capitalized a direct reference to a certain reviewer who does exactly that with every story she comes across? I think I know who you're talking about, but do correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes. I wanted to show them doing things in the news club besides talking and planning. So, working on the papers. To give Nori something to do, make it editing. Their conversation drifted to taking criticism how you see fit, and I wanted an example that would get a dorky reaction out of Nori. Because yeah, it does sound silly on paper. And it also brings up the bit about how bad the internet is and Nori not being on it.

Apparently in talking with a ffnet reviewer, she gets a lot of harassment herself. And does give some useful criticism when not nitpicking that at least. That said, I don't hate her. Just hate how she made that a trend in the community. :p

I do love Nori's story about getting in trouble for writing a crime story in second grade. Reminds me of one time when I was in third grade...
Mine was based off another kid doing just that, although it's a vague memory at this point. I just know it happened, forget the context. But man, heh. Guess young you was very different. Can't imagine you having heroes casually chopping villains' heads these days.

I am definitely worried about Tono's declaration. Why is he claiming Nori is a fraud? Just because Nori's training methods aren't like most trainers' doesn't make them any less valid. Definitely curious to see what that's all about.

Well to remind of some dialogue in M4-6...

Tono harrumphed. "There was little to be impressed with, in my opinion. It was just a vicious, desperate attack without any sort of technique. Nothing more than a base attempt to overpower."

He could only chuckle at his best friend. "Harsh as always." Tono had a very specific idea of what a trainer should be, and everyone else was a fool or amateur.

This is the reason why.

Let me guess, Chastity is one of those blonde alpha bitches who's super popular and rules the school? Or a female version of Eddie personality-wise?
One of your guesses may or may not be completely correct.

Oh, I forgot to mention on my reviews for this on FNN and AO3: Man, that Billy Ordride guy always seems to wind up wherever Nori's at. And almost causes a tragedy yet again. Let me guess: Potential running gag in the works?
Heh heh heh...

Month 5: May of Ordeals (first part)
Month 5: May of Ordeals (first part)
May 1st, 2015

The first day of May was a dreary one. A typhoon, or at least its remnants, was set to hit Sunyshore in two days. The clouds overhead were bleak with dread and occasionally spitting down on the world below.

For the first time since the school year started, Nori was caught up in all his classes. Ms. Kakoku's lesson for the day was more fieldwork and firearm training.

"Pokemon tranquilizer guns are made to pierce even the toughest Pokemon hides," the one-eyed woman explained. They had just gone over gun maintenance. "The key is knowing where to aim. For instance, if you encounter a rampaging Gyarados violently thrashing about and need to use your gun, shoot for the lower body, unless the situation calls for an immediate subdual."

He asked what about using your Pokemon to subdue it? That is an option, she said, but not always practical. She likened the gun to using a sleep or paralysis move on the Pokemon, and to be cautious about using it. Make sure you have your own Pokemon out for protection, recall it immediately if it's yours, and so on.

All in all, his officials' class went perfect. Nori ate lunch in the room they were in before leaving for the Square. Shortly after his arrival, Arumi marched in, shouting something plucked from the headlines.

"Woman Arrested for Aggravated Stalking of Gym Leader!"

Nori blinked. "Here?" he asked, glancing around. "Volkner?!"

"No, out in Kanto!" She happily presented him with the school newsletter. It shared the front page with news of the school's closure until next Thursday due to Golden Week. "Twenty-year-old Elena Joule was arrested on Shōwa Day after being found in the Pewter Gym after hours for the fourth time! When they searched her house, they found thousands of pictures of Gym Leader Brock on her hard drive and over fifty-five pieces of fanfiction she'd written about him, over two-thirds of which were erotica!"

Fifty-five?! He remembered this one kid who always wrote about marrying Cynthia in creative writing class. But this was even crazier! He glanced the article over, but found little insight into this person's mind. She declined to give a statement, it seemed.

"The Gym Leader was said to be rethinking his life decisions and was quoted as saying, ‘Ugh, so that’s what it feels like.’" She imitated his voice, although it was probably a poor impression.

Nori pocketed the newsletter. "Glad you found another story to write about, but what's the point of bringing up crazy stalkers?"

"They're a real thing, Nor'," she warned. "If you become famous, you should be careful."

"Yeah. Kallisto had to deal with a stalker before," came a voice from the side. Nori fired a glare at the smirking Eddie. "Cool your jets, kid. Just overheard ya." The Gym Trainer did eye the reporter girl warily, however.

Arumi nodded. "I remember that. Never seen Kallisto get that pissed at someone before." Nori was tempted to say that she should've seen what he did to him, right in front of Eddie, but Arumi kept talking on. "Culture, even the media doesn't like to talk about it much, but girls can be just as bad as guys. And even less incidents of girl on guy abuse gets reported."

Very true. Eddie added his two coins. "No guy wants to be known for letting a woman dominate him. Besides freaks who are into that."

Arumi sighed. "And that's why." She shook her head. "There's littler things too, not just abuse."

"I know," said Nori. "Back in sixth grade, there was this girl named Jamie. She wasn't a stalker, but she could be pushy about how she liked me. I gave her a chance, and almost regretted it." He sighed. Now that he really thought about it, he wasn't sure what he ever saw in her. "I don't know what I was thinking there. Maybe I was just..."

"Vulnerable?"

"I guess." He shrugged. "I was walking home with her a day after my friend Lux disappeared. I think he knew deep down she wasn't right for me. And when she said to not care about him, that's when I said forget it."

Maybe that was part of why Lux ran off that day. His purple-haired friend might've not been able to stand him being with the wrong girl, but didn't know what to say, or couldn't bring himself to say it. If he hadn't even humored Jamie though, would Lux still be here?

Suddenly, he was pulled into a huddle by Eddie. "You sayin' that shit was a misunderstanding?" he rasped.

Nori smiled. Not turning down his volume in the slightest, he replied, "I'm glad we got it out of the way when we did." Eddie cringed, backing off while pressing a hand to his forehead.

Ignoring him, the boy turned his attention back to Arumi. "But Lux. One time, he even stood up to Jamie and got her to back down. Even though he was usually very quiet. I still miss him so much."

"Still whining about losing your little faggy friend?"

Another voice. Spike Caras came striding in from the halls. Before he could open his mouth to spew anything more, Eddie got his bearings back. He jumped into action with a shove that nearly sent Spike to the floor.

"You better watch your fucking mouth, kid," he threatened.

"Oh?" the bully taunted, unabated by this. "Comin' to his rescue? Didn't he fuck your ass on exhibition day? He make you his bitch? Is your boyfriend after all, bitch."

Nori shook his head. "Spike, just stop," he said, more embarrassed to be in his presence than at the insults. "Seriously. You're acting like a stupid moron."

"What kinda kiddie insult is that? Stupid moron. You say it all the time, fuckin' asswipe." Hey, sure it might be, but it was like a catchphrase of his! And it was way better than people who think edgy swearing makes an insult! "Betcha that's what you are. A little ass wiper." Like that!

Eddie leered. "You trying to pick a fight with him?"

"Nah. Know he fights like a girl, anyway." Spike reached into his pocket and retrieved a Poke Ball. "Got my first Pokemon. Gift from my pops for Golden Week. Gonna be able to journey when summer break rolls 'round. So I challenge you, softy!"

Oh, just this? Nori smiled and nodded. "Happy to."

"A'right," the bully punched into a palm. "Let's go to the cages for your poundin'."

Spike stomped off ahead of them. Nori let Eddie lead the way, with Arumi deciding to tag along.

"This guy's asking for it, isn't he?" the reporter girl said, wickedly rubbing her hands together with glee.

Eddie concurred, surprisingly tolerating of Arumi's presence for the moment. "You have to be pretty retarded to challenge the Demon."

"In his first fight no less," Nori added.

"Big cohones, small brain." The dark-skinned teen chuckled.

The field of Gama Memorial Junior High had a cage for baseball in the near left corner. There were three sets of soccer goalposts: one perpendicular to the building, and two that were lateral. On the far side of the field within another cage was where Pokemon battles could take place. It was a large rectangle soft-divided into three areas. Observers could safely watch from stands outside.

"Hankstein? Carino?" A teacher was usually on-hand to supervise. It's why a few kids occasionally left school grounds to battle. The burly man scratched his head. "Arumi Schrader too?"

"Yeah," said Eddie, pointing back at Spike. "This kid signed his Pokemon up for an ass-kicking."

"With which one of you two?" Beat. He eyed Arumi. "Three?"

"Me," Nori said.

A nod. "Want me to clear it out for you so you can use the whole field?"

The boy blinked. "We can do that?"

"Comes with the power," Eddie remarked. "And yeah, we do. Want as many people as possible seeing this."

Nori was about to speak up to say no, he didn't mind, but Spike quickly agreed. "Heh, works for me."

"All right, finish up everyone!" the teacher shouted. "We're going to see a battle between Nori Carino and..." He looked at the bully.

"Spike Caras!" he gave his name.

---​

After the ongoing battles finished, Nori entered the battling box, with Eddie and Arumi standing behind him. The teacher said he would leave them to it and left, another sign of the power held by Eddie and presumably himself as well. The other students didn't mind and seemed interested in watching, but Nori still felt a little uncomfortable interrupting their battling.

"Right, check this out!" Spike said. Nori had been wondering what kind of Pokemon he would be facing. It was a huge orange-brown bovine with sharp horns, a dark brown mane, and three lashing tails.

"A Tauros, eh?" Arumi said, jotting this down in her notepad. "You don't see that as a starter Pokemon every day! You may even be the first in the world!"

New trainers usually began with something easy to raise, like a government-approved starter or a commonly found small Pokemon. This was anything but one. Then again, Nori hardly had a traditional starter, either. A Nidoran, maybe. But not a highly experienced Nidorina. He supposed Pachi was his formal starter, which could technically fit the bill.

"From my aunt's farm back in Solaceon," Spike explained. "Knew this guy when he was just a calf, back when I still lived there. Now we're ready to fight through Sinnoh! And you're gonna be the first one we beat!"

Nori had known which Pokemon he wanted to use even before seeing his opponent. He sent it out, and there were many surprised and amused gasps as the small white and blue squirrel appeared with a hop and cheer. Pachi sized up his opponent and quickly got into position with gusto.

"Huh, your Pachirisu?" Arumi asked.

"You ain't going all out with the Demon?" Eddie questioned. He seemed mildly annoyed, but in a way that he was only looking for a good explanation.

Nori smirked. "I think using her here would be excessive anyway. Plus, Pachi could use a bit of training."

This was a good enough answer for both of them. But Spike growled. "You makin' fun of me by usin' somethin' weak?"

"Pachi isn't weak," Nori plainly stated to the bully with a smile. Didn't he see how he beat Eddie's Electabuzz? "You think he is?"

"Of course it is! Just a little rat! It's a Pokemon for kids, girls, and faggots like Lux."

"This guy and his fuckin' slurs..." the Gym Trainer muttered.

Arumi whispered, "Didn't you use one a bit earlier?"

Eddie waved a hand dismissively. "It's as much of one as dumb or lame to me." Arumi looked away, as if acknowledging but not wanting to touch that one.

"Anyway," Nori stated. "This squirrel's going to zap your bull down."

"Might even say he'll shock you!" Eddie remarked, to the amusement of just about everyone but Spike. Nori in particular outright laughed. He didn't expect that sort of wit from Eddie.

Arumi clapped him on the back before leaving the cage. "You got this, Nor'."

Eddie, meanwhile, stepped to the side to act as the judge. "A'right, it's a battle between Nori and this tryhard kid." The dark-skinned teen raised his arms. "Now fight!"

The spiky-haired bully motioned with his fist. "Let's go, Austin. Take Down!" Nori was momentarily surprised. He didn't think Spike was the type to give nicknames. On the other hand, he thought Kallisto would but he didn't, so what did he know about the thought process? The bull Pokemon roared, whipped himself into a frenzy, and barreled forth.

Pachi took a preliminary step away. "Electro Ball," said Nori. The squirrel backflipped and batted a pulse of electricity at their opponent. Austin hadn't even gotten halfway to Pachi before the sphere struck its lower body. It stopped cold, staggering.

"OOOOOOOO!!" went Eddie. "Right in the breadbasket with that one!"

There were chuckles from the observers at the commentary. Spike sneered at the dark-skinned teen, though otherwise kept focused. "Fuck'em up with Horn Attack!"

Again, the bull Pokemon charged. Nori had less time to react, but on noticing something, decided on a bold play. "Agility underneath?" He wasn't sure about this, but...

"Ohhhh..." Eddie dramatically gasped, leaning in close. As Pachi cleanly slid beneath Austin's head and between all four of its legs, the dark-skinned teen snapped back so far he nearly fell over. "OHHH!!! And he makes it through! And look at that dumbass, flailing like he just vanished!"

Spike screamed. "Austin, it's behind you, dammit!"

"Grass Knot," Nori said, trying to take advantage before they could react.

The Tauros didn't have time to turn around, as Pachi stomped his feet a couple times. The bull actually fell over from the ensnaring vines.

"Have a nice trip, see you next fall!"

Spike took a step towards Eddie. "Shut the hell up, already!"

"Super Fang," Nori asked of his Pokemon, striking while they were stunned. Pachi did so, Austin groaning in pain as the fangs sank into him.

"Assurance! Hit back!" The Tauros sent Pachi into a stumble with a desperate body blow. It bought the bull Pokemon enough time to get to its feet, but Pachi had already recovered.

"Oh, and he lands his first attack!" Eddie replied with exaggerated praise, slowly clapping with limp hands. "Don't look like it did much, though!"

"But this will!" Spike replied. "STOMP A MUDHOLE!" Austin bucked up, ready to come down with his front hooves.

"Roll and finish it," Nori said with a smile and hand gesture. Pachi easily avoided and let loose with a Discharge, right as his opponent was standing up to try to hit again. With one final roar, Austin fell over unconscious.

"And he's gone! The little squirrel beat the big bull!" Eddie applauded, more genuinely this time, although his official ruling was far more cruel. "The hick kid loses!"

"YOU LITTLE SHIT!"

Nori looked up to see Spike charging at him. With a yelp, the boy hopped aside. The bully blindly swung, missed as he tripped over Nori's sweeping leg, and crashed down knee first.

Eddie laughed. "Ohhhhh! And the sore loser goes down like a bitch, just like his Pokemon!"

Nori scurried away, hearing a string of mostly incomprehensible curses coming from Spike as he rolled around holding his joint in agony. He shuddered, hoping it wasn't dislocated. Pachi came running up in concern, looking to his trainer, the bully, and the bully's Pokemon.

"That should be good. Let's go, Pachi."

With a chirrup and wagging tail, the squirrel climbed onto his shoulder. Nori took one last glance at Spike and left the battling cage, shaking his head. Not just at the bully, but over the whole situation.

---​

When Nori left school that day, he was quickly joined by Eddie in the halls. The boy grumbled as the Gym Trainer approached with a wave like they were old friends. No different from Kallisto.

"Yo, nice goin' thumping that tryhard kid, man," the dark-skinned teenager congratulated. "Heh, twice."

Well, it wasn't sarcasm. What should he say to Eddie? After some consideration, he settled for a simple, "Thank you."

"Wonder what the fuck he was thinking, that he could take you?" he pondered aloud. "You whooped three of my Pokes with two of yours."

"Ugh, that again?"

"Look, man," he said. "It was Volkner's idea, Blame him if you're still pissed about it. Couldn't say no. Didn't want to say no, either. Wanted to see you go down."

Nori nodded, still cautious. "That lines up with what he told me."

"Was pissed I lost at first. Thought about it some more since, and figured," and with this he extended a hand. "Dunno how the hell you pulled it off, but you beat me fair when I wasn't playing fair. Can respect that."

He was humble enough to admit when he'd been wrong? The boy took several seconds to accept the gesture, between the mild surprise and uncertainty. "Again, thank you."

Eddie's grip was crushing. He grinned wickedly. "Still think you're a little bitch, though."

"And you're still a huge jerk!" Nori snapped. He returned in kind, tightly squeezing the Gym Trainer's hand. He should've known that apology was too good to be true. Nevertheless, the two shook on their mutual distaste, but newfound (if strange) respect for one another.

---​

As the two exited, they heard raucous cheers nearby. The source of it was immediately evident: a large group of people swarming around Kallisto's car. Every single one of them was screaming his name, chanting it, congratulating him, or saying they loved him. He had put up the roof, driving slowly - if at all - as so not to run anyone over.

"I know you're happy!" Kallisto shouted through the window. It was barely open a crack, yet people were still trying to reach through. "But I need to get back to the Gym!"

They were not listening. In fact, their number was growing with students from the middle school. Nori snickered.

"Shit," muttered Eddie. "We gotta do something."

"Do we have to?" he feigned pouting.

"Well, I ain't walking back."

Nori was half-tempted to skate off and let them figure it out themselves. The sight of Kallisto's rabid fans kind of made him mad, however. What was their problem? And why were they giving it to Kallisto of all people? That is, more than usual?

"Everyone!" he impulsively shouted. "The Champion Cynthia just landed over there!"

It was a painfully blatant lie that he only did to say he didn't try. However, a large chunk of the crowd was so wrapped up in the moment they instinctively hurried over to see. Another chunk believed it seemingly because it was so bad and obvious they decided there was no way he was lying. This got another large chunk to follow them out of curiosity or just to be sure, and that cleared out enough of them.

Kallisto honked and slammed on the gas, speeding several meters away. Eddie threw some nearby stragglers aside as the vehicle pulled up. The door flew open.

"Get in!" shouted Ollie, as Tono scooted over to make room. Nori wasn't going to, until he was shoved in from behind. Eddie leaped in beside him and slammed the door shut. People quickly realized they had been duped and were rushing back, but Kallisto didn't give them the chance to surround them again. He got the car out of the parking lot and sped off.

"Thanks, Nori," Kallisto said, keeping his eyes on the road for any lunatics who might try to run in front of them. Thankfully, no one did.

"Hey!" he protested. "I don't want to–"

"They'd maim you when they found out you tricked them, kid." Eddie barked. "Just get your belt on."

Left with no choice with two Gym Trainers on either side of him, he did so. "What the hell's happening?!" he yelled.

"Yeah, the fuck's this, Kallisto?"

He stayed focused on the road. "Tono, you tell them."

"It was announced today that Kallisto will be receiving the National Medal of Valor." He pushed up his glasses with a proud beam at his friend. "The youngest recipient in the award's history for Pokemon, and that is counting the days where it included military service."

"He's getting a medal?" Nori asked in irritation. "For what?!"

"I shall give you the short version. The National Medals of Acuity, Verity, and Valor were created in 1882."

"After the lakes?"

Tono glared. "Are you the type who constantly interrupts your teachers with questions?"

"No. Why, is there someone annoying like that in your class?"

"Anyway," he didn't address, although noticeably paused before answering, "The answer is yes and no. They were originally named for the three gods of the lake. However, the names were changed in wake of World War II to be more religiously-neutral while retaining the spirit of the initial names. While other medals have been introduced since, the original three are still considered among the highest awards one can receive."

The boy nodded. "So what are they for?"

"The Medal of Acuity is granted to those who excelled in the field of information. This has ranged from the media to famous scientists. It has been traditional for either a member of the Schrader family or a Pokemon Professor to present the award.

"As for the Medal of Verity, that is given to those who excelled in work done for the benefit of humanity or Pokemon. The ones most associated with the medal is of course the Joy family. It is common for either them or a community leader from the recipient's hometown to present the award.

"Finally, the award which Kallisto is to receive. The Medal of Valor is for those who exemplify strength and courage, be it in a competitive, municipal, persevering, or military context. Completing the trifecta, the Jenny family and Champions are most associated with it, and aside from the Imperial days, are the ones who most often present it."

The boy nodded. "So he's so great at Pokemon they're giving him the medal early?"

"I said it is Champions who are associated with it," Tono stated. "Not every Champion has received the award, and some trainers who never became Champion have received it."

"And future Champions, too!" Ollie piped up.

"There's a difference between being a Champion and having the qualities of a Champion," the head Gym Trainer spoke up. "If that makes any sense."

Eddie clapped. "Well, should say, congrats man."

"Yeah, congratulations, I guess." He said that if only to be polite.

"Thanks, Hankstein and Nori. But I really don't deserve this."

Why did they always have to be so modest about these things? At least in this case, Nori could agree with Kallisto. He definitely didn't deserve an award like this. Was there some way to stop him from getting it, the boy wondered? Probably not. Either way, it'd be a ceremony he wouldn't be attending.

Actually. "Are you saying that because of how you jumped me from behind and broke my arm?" the boy asked.

Kallisto shook his head. "Just because I've always wondered if I could be stronger, or be more of a role model for others." The boy caught his smile in the reflection of the rear view mirror. "Besides, I told you I was sorry and tried to make up for it, didn't I?"

Nori sighed. Sorry and doing good doesn't erase your bad. But it seemed pointless to argue that, especially in here at this moment.

"So when are you getting it?" asked Eddie.

"May 6th," he said with a smile. "The compensation holiday."

"By the way," Nori asked. "Random question."

"Shoot."

He just remembered. "Why don't you nickname your Pokemon?"

"That is random." Kallisto nervously chuckled. "I'm...no good at giving them. I'd want to think of them myself, but every one I've come up with, they've hated."

Nori sighed and rolled his eyes. That answered that, even if it seemed so superficial...

##########​

May 2nd, 2015

On Saturday, Nori went downstairs with Pachi on his shoulders. When he stepped into the arena, he found Tono and Ollie engaged in a practice battle. A black and white Pika-esque Pokemon was quite literally flying circles around a bipedal blue duck. There was no sign of the others.

"Just Ice Punch it," dismissed Tono. His Pokemon's fist glowed a faint white, and it delivered a precise uppercut to the flying squirrel. "You have no reason to stall or showboat here, this isn't one of those idiotic Contests."

Ollie winced as his Pokemon was knocked to the ground. "We were just disorienting you!" he yelled.

Tono scoffed. "Ice Punch again, Drake."

"Dodge and Nuzzle!"

The duck drove his fist towards Emolga, who rolled aside at the last second. Acting fast, it leaned in and rubbed its cheek against Drake, causing the duck to shudder in discomfort. Pachi hopped off Nori's shoulders, cheering his fellow squirrel on.

"Now let's win! THUNDERBOLT!"

"Protect!"

Drake raised his arms, yet seized up before he could form the barrier. Emolga let loose a burst of electricity, shocking the duck into unconsciousness.

"Hey hey! We win!" Ollie whooped. Hearing the battle was over was enough for Pachi to run over and congratulate Emolga on the victory. The two squirrels high-fived, sparks flying off their paws as they did so. This got the two trainers to take notice of Nori.

"Didn't know they were friends," Nori mused.

"Yeah, all the Gym Pachirisus like her," Ollie remarked. "Don't you see them watching whenever I use her?"

"Not really." With that Nori did glance up, and noticed a couple of Pachirisus were in fact looking down from the far balcony. Ollie didn't use his Emolga as often as he did his Lanturn, Electrode, or Stunfisk, and he never had Pachi out whenever he watched him. And the hefty teen wasn't the type to keep any of his Pokemon out of their balls.

Ollie shrugged, turning to his Pokemon. "Nice going, Emolga. We're definitely going to win this tournament!" He brought her back, ignorant to the conversation she was having. Pachi squeaked in disappointment, dejectedly walking back to his trainer's side. "So how's that, Tono?"

Tono crossed his arms, tapping a finger on his arm. "Acceptable, I suppose. I admit, I had forgotten your Emolga knows Knock Off."

The hefty teen chuckled in delight. "Why didn't you try using Disable, though?"

"Because I am aware your Emolga knows Encore. Remember, that move is only useful against an opponent who does not see it coming. And not every Pokemon will fall for it." He briefly glanced over at Nori. "Niche moves have their uses, but you need to know when and how to make use of them."

"Oh." He scratched at his short ruby-colored hair. At that, Nori noticed that Ollie had gotten a haircut sometime in the last few days.

"It's rare to see you two training together," Nori remarked. "Any occasion, or is it just because Kallisto and Eddie aren't here?"

"We're training for the tournament, man!" Ollie declared.

Nori tilted his head. "What tournament?"

Tono explained. "Each year at Gama Memorial Senior, a tournament is held to determine the inaugural captain of the battling team. It is open to anyone on the team or any member of the battling club who receives at least one other nomination." He pushed up his glasses. "This year's tournament saw an unusually high field of thirteen, narrowed down to eight as of yesterday."

"I won my first match!" declared Ollie, pointing to himself and standing tall.

The boy nodded. "Nice."

"I, as the incumbent, received a bye to the second round." Tono turned to his fellow Gym Trainer. "Also, I cannot stress this enough. Do make sure you train as much as possible over Golden Week, Ollie. Everyone else serious about this will be doing so, and so will you if you want any hope of winning."

Ollie stamped the floor. "I told you, I'll do it when I can! But I'm still going to enjoy the break!" Tono sighed and shook his head. "Let's get to strategy for now! You know my opponent, and I know yours!"

"I doubt I will need your help against her, but I can prepare you for Adam Brandon. We'll start by watching some of his videos from the League five years ago." He went over to his bag and got his laptop.

"Well, good luck with the training," Nori said, whistling for Pachi to follow. They seemed to be busy.

"Thanks, man!"

"Hmph."

Well, somebody was bitter. He was just wishing them luck, did Tono think he didn't mean it? All the more reason to not stay in the arena, in any case.

---​

"Well, fancy seein' you, Nori," Betsy-Ann warmly greeted as he stepped into the medical room. Today would be the first in a series of holidays in which there would be no school. The Gym would be formally closed starting tomorrow until the 7th, not by Volkner's choice either. There were simply too many staff that wanted those days off. For the future Pokemon Rehabilitator, he welcomed it as a reprieve from the others. "To what do I owe this occasion?"

Pachi greeted her with a squeak and wave. "Howdy, Betsy-Ann. Just stopping by." he said, briefly slipping back into his own light accent. Spending so much time around others who didn't speak rural made him lose it, although he still did things like call his mom Ma by habit.

"Hear you-know-who's gettin' an award?"

"Firsthand," he replied. "Ugh, he does all that bad stuff and they still want to say he's courageous?"

"Just the way it is." The rural medic shook her head in derision. "But enough about him. How you doin'?"

"I'm okay. How about you? Any plans for Golden Week?"

"A few, yes. Thinkin'a hitchin' a ride home to Sandgem to see mom and pop. If that don't work out, guess I'll jus' enjoy the break." She smiled. "Might even come see you, if yer not doin' much."

"No, not much. I...don't really have anything to do."

"Oh."

"All my friends are in Veilstone, and I can't really travel there." Pachi stroked the back of his trainer's head.

"Yeah, that's a real bummer there. Ya really got nothin' here?"

He smiled. "They all moved away, aren't real friends, or are planning to see their parents."

She laughed, patting his head. "Point taken. If I can't go, you and me'll hang out some."

A nod, "Sounds great, Betsy-Ann." Sure, she was older than him, but so was Rashid. And better still, she wasn't weird like he could be sometimes.

"So what'll you be doin' on your own? Trust ya ain't gonna sit on your laurels."

"Same thing I always used to do. Train, listen to the radio, and maybe get out and explore the city."

"Might not be such a great idea to get out tomorrow. Hear them remnants of that typhoon are supposed to be sweepin' through."

Nori grinned. "That's exactly why it's such a great idea to get out tomorrow."

The red-haired teenager tilted her head. "You pullin' my leg?"

"I reckon I ain't."

She laughed and shook her head. "You got a real knack for adventure."

"It's cool, too! Like you know how different Sinnoh looks in winter? It'd be cool to see what it's like during a storm!" When he was a little kid, he was an aspiring storm chaser. Until his mom shut it down. "Plus, it'd be good training for my Pokemon. I even got a new raincoat for it with some money Volkner gave me!"

Pachi squeaked in surprise, as if asking a question. Did he understand that?

"Well, just stay safe, ya hear? Can get pretty dangerous with the wind blowin' things everywhere."

He nodded. "Don't worry, I will be!"

"So!" Betsy-Ann clapped her hands. "Up for watchin' some funny Pokemon vids? Know ya came here to slip away for a bit."

It was like she could read his mind. "Sure." Hey, more time in here meant more time not in the Gym. He didn't get why people were so into these videos, but he'd take any excuse he could to spend more time with his friends and less time around Kallisto and his friends.

##########
=========
##########

So for how the next few 7-8 updates will work, I'm only going to drop them when I've finished drafting the next chapter in the queue, or two weeks after, whichever comes first, and resuming normal pace or faster once it's all finished. I've technically almost finished the ninth one down the line, given I split it in two. Hopefully it'll be worth it.

Also random aside: that no nicknames quirk of Kallisto and the reason behind it was transplanted from original ideas for Nori. It fit him better in a couple ways, plus Nori started doing so per some of his character development.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom