• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MATURE: Nori Carino: Official In-Training [COMPLETE!!]

Month 5: May of Ordeals (eighth part)
Surprise! A quick one days later! Wanted to get this out for the fic's birthday, but stuff happened. Wasn't expecting it to run this long. In fact, aside: the "Month" designations for chapters are an artifact: it was only as long as there were months, and they replaced "Chapter" stylistically. The scope of it blew up, albeit in a good way.

##########
=========
##########

May of Ordeals (eighth part)
May 13rd, 2015

"So how'd your date go?"

"Oh, stop wit' that."

"You even got dressed up for the occasion." A giggle.

"Wasn't gonna go out lookin' like a ragamuffin. An' not like I had on my Sunday best."

"But you dressed better than when you work."

A pause. "All right, ya got me. Wanted to look nice for it, ya know?"

"He is a cutie."

"Real sweet, too. He's a good friend."

"You wish he were older?"

"A gal can dream, can't she?"

After getting back to the Gym, the first thing Kallisto did was head up to the trainer's lounge with the others. They gathered on the large couch to watch and listen to the perturbing exchange. Eddie and Tono sat on his left and right respectively, and Ollie peeked in from behind. There was a little more to their conversation, but this is what stood out.

"There you have it," he said as he gauged his friend's reactions. Tono's expression was unreadable. Ollie's face had almost comically dropped. But it was Eddie who responded first.

"Yo," he spoke up, unimpressed. "What if it's just chicks joking around?"

"And what if it's not?" He restrained himself from shouting. "We need to act now, Hankstein."

"Do what you want, but leave me outta this." Eddie got up and walked out the door.

Kallisto could not believe that - someone he thought was always going to have his back turned away, and now of all times! How could Eddie ignore something like this?!

"What do you guys think?" he asked his remaining friends.

Ollie clapped and cackled. "Let's get her!"

"I will support whatever you decide," Tono neutrally stated. He crossed his arms and tapped a finger. "One thing I will say is that we shouldn't make a fuss about it, just to be certain."

That was the sort of support he was looking for. What Eddie was doing now - and what Nori did 99% of the time - was not constructive. "Thanks, Tono. That sounds good," he replied. He was wondering if it was better to go public or not, but his best friend had preemptively told him not to. "In that case, I know what I'm going to do."

##########​

May 14th, 2015

Nori woke up on Thursday to an unusually quiet Gym. Normally at around this time, there would be footsteps and murmurs from below, the sound of the staff getting ready for opening hours at 9am. On rare occasions, there would be a challenger in the lobby waiting to face Volkner. Today, there was only a lull.

He didn't think much of it as he prepared breakfast. He made himself peanut butter toast and got his Pokemon a few treats, enjoying a pleasant meal with them while he listened to the news on the radio. When they were all done, he got his backpack, recalled his Pokemon, and went downstairs.

It was as dead as it sounded. He found the lobby virtually abandoned. The concessions stand was closed up, Mrs. Stetcher wasn't in her usual booth, and the lights were dimmed. The boy peeked into the arena, finding no one present. He did hear some faint murmuring from the right hallway. He hurried over to find Marshall and Brodski in conversation.

"What's going on?" he asked the two.

Brodski shrugged. "Go ask Mr. Denzi."

He went and did just that. He went to the back room, pounding on the door. "Hey, Volkner!" he shouted. There was no need to use an indoor voice when barely anyone was around. "Are you back there?"

"I'll be right over!" the Gym Leader hollered back. The door swung open after several seconds. The Gym Leader didn't even have his coat on, just his dark brown jeans and the white undershirt. "What's happening?" the boy asked. "Is the Gym closed or something?"

"Yes," came the terse reply.

"Why on a Thursday? Is it some sort of holiday?" The boy paused. "Birthday?"

"Dealing with something internal."

Nori tilted his head. "What sort of thing?"

The Gym Leader closed up like a Shellder. He turned away, looking up at the ceiling while twiddling his thumbs.

"Is it...not something I should be asking?" Nori slowly asked.

Gradually, the Gym Leader faced him, although continued to avert his gaze. He scratched his cheek. His mouth opened a couple times, but no words came out of them. "I guess I should tell you," he soon conceded. The blond man took a deep breath before he said his next words. "We had to let one of the staff go."

"What?! Wh-who?" Nori wasn't sure what it was, but he instantly feared the worst.

Volkner took a deep breath. He again turned away, lowering his head. "The assistant medic. Betsy-Ann Jostein."

"What? No way. Why? Kallisto did it, didn't he?!"

Volkner didn't answer. No, it was more like he couldn't. His silence said more than he could with any words or gesture, although he managed a nod to erase all doubt. Nori screamed, almost a primal wail. Without waiting for answers from the Gym Leader that probably weren't going to come anyway, he stormed out of the Gym.

---​

Nori had half a mind to march directly to Gama Memorial Senior and confront Kallisto right there on the spot. The only reason he didn't was because he wasn't sure how some preteen kid going into a high school would go over, let alone to yell at one of their most beloved students. But he had a plan in mind. He wasn't going to wait until they got back to the Gym, if it would even be open today.

As he left school, he quickly spotted Kallisto's convertible in the usual spot. The fat piece of trash, the nerd with his head up his ass, and the king himself were there, with the huge jerk approaching.

"WHAT THE HELL DID YOU GUYS DO?" he screamed at the top of his lungs. He got everyone's attention by doing so, just how he wanted it.

Eddie took one look at him, and to them, and said, "Told ya." The dark-skinned teenager walked off, leaving his friends behind. Nori paid him little heed.

As for the other three, they were wide-eyed. "We were stopping a pedophile!" Ollie shouted.

"Hebephile," corrected Tono. "There is a fundamental difference."

"Whatever, she was trying to take advantage of you!" the fat teen insisted.

"No, she wasn't!"

There were many angry shouts and insults from around him. As Nori got closer to the convertible, someone grabbed him from behind. He whirled around and nearly punched them square on the jaw, stopping just short when he saw it was Volkner.

"Nori, calm down," the Gym Leader urged.

"No!" He would not, COULD not calm down right now.

"Wait!"

Most of the onlookers went quiet as this sharp word cut through the air. The driver's side door swung open, and Kallisto stepped out. He raised a hand, silencing the rest of them. He looked straight at Nori.

"This is all my doing. Don't blame anyone else."

He was up and admitting it? Right in front of everyone? He glanced around for reactions, and most of them seemed confused. Something felt off, but regardless, Nori voiced his discontent. "I can't believe this. Why did I ever think you had a point with any of that stuff you said? You just want everything your way! In fact, I bet this is still about not wanting me to have a girlfriend!"

The nerd harrumphed. "This has nothing to do with that. And in fact–"

"Shut up!" he snapped at the nerd. "I wasn't talking to you!"

Kallisto looked back at his friend, waving him off. "Hate me if you want. I know you'll understand what I did some day, and thank me for it."

In reply, Nori advanced threateningly. He'd been wanting to fight Kallisto ever since he jumped him from behind anyway. Yet the head Gym Trainer made no attempt to get his guard up. In fact, he stepped back, held his arms at his side, and stood wide open.

"Look. Here," he offered himself up, giving the boy pause. "I'll give you one free shot at me."

Nori instantly drove the tip of his foot directly into Kallisto's nutsack. The head Gym Trainer clutched at it, yet remained standing. He didn't scream, he didn't fall over. In fact, he coyly smiled up at Nori while lightly wincing.

"There you go," he said, only angering the boy further. How did that not hurt him?! He kicked him as hard as he could and he wasn't wearing anything! "Feel better?"

"No!" Nori wanted to kick him in the face next. But what was the use?! He'd probably just not get hurt by that either somehow! He flipped Kallisto off and stormed away from the whole situation.

Volkner quickly caught up with him, able to keep pace with Nori's run with a light jog. The boy glared at his mentor. He was not in the mood to deal with anyone. Yet, the persisting Gym Leader was able to change his tune with only six words.

"She wants to talk to you."

He froze up. "Where?!"

---​

Kallisto and the others were going for a drive. They had unexpectedly been given the day off by Volkner. While Tono had suggested using the opportunity to train, the head Gym Trainer and Ollie had no idea what they were going to do. Not only today, but moving forward.

The heterochromic teenager sighed. Part of him did not want to intervene here, yet he also felt he needed to. Perhaps he could've acted less drastically? Perhaps it would've been better to confront Betsy-Ann herself? It was too late at this point, however.

With this, there was certainly no chance of mending fences with Nori. He did his best to make sure his friends wouldn't get caught up in things as well. Yet on that subject, his biggest concern at the moment was Eddie. It was so out of character for him to walk away like that. The others had tried to call him, but he wasn't picking up, so they could only speculate what was going through his mind right now. He could only pray Eddie was only distancing himself from this incident.

---​

Along the way, Volkner had confirmed many of Nori's suspicions. This was related to thinking she had an interest in him. Yesterday evening, Kallisto had spoken with the Gym Leader about his concerns, showing him a video of Betsy-Ann talking with her friend about him. When Volkner dismissed it, he asked several senior members of the staff for their thoughts. Coach Norling in particular was uncomfortable working with her given the allegations, and ultimately, Volkner's hand was forced.

The Gym Leader brought him to the woods he had been in so many times before. He bid him well and left for the Gym. Nori couldn't thank his mentor enough. He'd taken time out of his day to help keep him under control and make sure he didn't do anything he'd regret. Most importantly, he gave him the chance to see his friend one last time.

Betsy-Ann was waiting for him a ways off the beaten path, in a small clearing. She waved, and he went to join her.

"Thought you might like some closure," she said to him while leaning against a tree.

He slowly nodded. That, he did. One of Nori's biggest regrets was how things ended with Lux. He didn't get a chance to say goodbye, his friend was just gone. It nearly happened again.

"That rotten egg-suckin' dog. Can't a guy and gal just be friends?" she said, shaking her head. "When it gets down to it, him and his goons could piss off a priestess."

"I wouldn't have minded."

"Huh?"

"If you really did like me like that, I wouldn't have minded. Screw the age difference. Besides, it'd be fine when I grow up."

He wasn't sure what he was saying or where any of it was coming from. He moved towards her, but she held out a hand and lightly stopped him.

"Don't go talkin' like that, Nori," the teen said. "Y'know yer only thinkin'a that to spite Kallisto."

Nori sighed, looking down at his feet. "I...I guess." What was he thinking? He'd never even thought about it until now, and was uneasy over the possibility of her thinking of him that way.

"Relationship built on that wouldn't be healthy, for either'a us."

"I know..."

It was one thing to like someone and have them like you back. But he knew there was a stigma here, same as with him and Maylene. And if it was just to piss off Kallisto, well. That wouldn't be good, even if they liked each other and were the same age.

Kallisto. Nori scowled. This all was because of him. Who was he to decide how he should live his life? The boy's hands balled into fists. He said it was to protect him, but who was it really for? And who was he to intervene, especially on something that wasn't there? Nori inhaled through gritted teeth, breath trembling as he heavily exhaled. Kallisto thought he had to be a certain way in order to succeed. But then there was the assault, nearly drowning, letting his friends get away with so much, indirectly destroying his reputation, and now this. So much of his misfortune could be traced back to Kallisto and his friends. He tensed his muscles so hard he started to shake.

A comforting hand went onto his shoulder. "You gonna be okay?"

"I don't know," he freely admitted as he seethed. He took in a deep breath and held it for as long as he could.

"I reckon you'll recover," the teen patted him, gently rubbing his back.

Nori gradually let it all out. It did calm him down a little, but the cause was still festering within like a dead Skuntank lounging in the sun. Yet the worst part about this wasn't what he would have to go through.

"What about you?" he asked. The worst part was what could happen to her. "They said you were a hebbyphile."

"Hebephile. And I ain't that type." She sighed, leaning back against the tree. "I'll be leavin' town, though. Goin' home to Sandgem. Much to get away from him as it is to get away from this."

"But will you be okay?" That's what he was most worried about, more than not being able to see her again. Even if she did like him and for the right reasons, some people would hate her forever or think she just likes kids. That'd follow her forever, right?

"Lucky it's being kept hush. Only ones who know are y'all and some of the senior staff, and they ain't gonna blab."

Wait, as in, nobody else knew? Her reputation might be fine? Maybe? Except. "I..." He shuffled his feet. "I might've blown up on them in public. I'm sorry. I didn't say what, but still."

"Don't worry about that none." She didn't seem too concerned. Nori could only hope that was from knowing for sure, and not blind confidence.

"I'm going to miss you."

"Me too."

Nori reflexively opened his arms. Betsy-Ann surprised him by rushing for him and embracing him, actually lifting him off the ground slightly. He in turn latched onto her as tight as he could. This might been the last hug he'd have in a long time. He was going to enjoy it for all it was worth.

"Thanks for everything, Betsy-Ann," he whispered, fighting back the urge to sob into her shoulder.

The teenager nodded. "Till next we meet, Nori."

---​

She held him for over a minute, until he reluctantly broke it off. With a tearful wave, Nori ran off as fast as he could without a further word, crying and quietly screaming. As he did so, Betsy-Ann plopped down on an old log. She felt pathetic.

There was one thing she didn't tell Nori at the end of last month. Ever since her failed second confession to Kallisto, she decided to move on. Yet try as she might, she couldn't get a date her age. No one would give her the time of day.

The painful truth was, she did have some interest in Nori. He had a lot going for him: cute looks, confident yet modest, a little sweetheart, would be there for her when she needed it, and needed her just as much. Yet she likely never would've gone through with it. There was too much problems.

His age for one. Even after July, there'd still be some folks throwing shade, and she wasn't just talking about them who think it's eighteen everywhere. Most over the age difference. Five years is a heck of a lot at their ages. Some'd say she was taking advantage of him, which was in fact some of Kallisto's crazed ‘logic.’ But she knew that better than he did. She knew if she asked Nori he'd say yes, just since he was so emotionally vulnerable. And that was something she might've never been able to get over, no matter the years-long threaded boundaries she'd set on intimacy.

It had to be hard on the boy, seeing another one of his friends get ripped away, like that Lux friend of his. She didn't want him to think of her as anything but a friend, especially at this point. It was all for the best anyhow. He deserved better than someone like her.

And maybe, this was a chance at a fresh start. Away from that darn Kallisto. May have been due to self-validation, but at least he had the decency not to drag her through the mud any further. She couldn't even begin to fathom what was going through his mind.

But him and his friends better watch out, she thought. She saw that look in Nori's eyes before he left. All his doubt about them was gone, and knowing him, he wouldn't rest till all their tails were cut.

---​

Fueled by hatred, Nori stomped his way through the Gym as he entered. He ignored the people calling for him and went straight to the back. He was the only person in the history of the Gym to be given free reign back here, much less given a key to the place, and needed to use that privilege.

A large purple monkey with a cream face and body and two tails waved hello as he walked in. Nori and Pachi - who he had filled in - greeted Volkner's Ambipom. The Gym Leader's Pokemon acted as security during the day, with the strongest Gym Pokemon taking up the mantle at night.

He passed by the wandering Galvantula and entered the garage area. He spotted the Gym Leader easily enough - he was working under his vintage vehicle. His Toxtricity and Luxray were sitting nearby, and his Chatot was perched atop the brown automobile.

"Hey, Volkner?" he called out to his mentor.

The Gym Leader pulled himself out from underneath. He wiped his forehead with a rag and inquisitively glanced at him.

"So that challenge from Tono for exhibition day."

He paused. Kallisto had taken his friend away from him. They said it was to protect him, but there was nothing to it. He was willing to bet it was worrying about that dating thing again, if not something even dumber. Whatever the head Gym Trainer's reasons, all the goodwill and benefit of the doubt Nori was thinking of giving was gone. For him, and all his friends. He'd had enough. And he was going to make them pay. Starting with the nerd.

"I want to win this," he declared. "I want to crush him and rub it in his face. Can you help me?"

The Gym Leader, after a moment of surprise, wryly smirked and began to devilishly chuckle.

##########
=========
##########

A/N: And that's 'act' two of this fic finished. Like before, here's some behind-the-scenes for it: Betsy-Ann was a later addition despite being a focal point, if evident from her showing up at the end of February and only getting mentions in March. Her interest was never much because of the reasons she mentioned (the most I considered was a non-romantic kiss on the head), but I downplayed it anyway.

The news club also went through changes. They were faceless (besides Arumi) at first. Then I made them a hive, so to speak. Then I differentiated them just enough, making Lorant quiet to make things easier, with one other (Yuki) being a more major character.

Next will be another Gaiden chapter, where just like before, there will be some more notes and changing viewpoint to a totally different character.

Last edited:
Damn, first Lux, and now Betsy-Ann is gone, and the latter is all because Kallisto got the wrong idea and got her fired. Seriously, he needs to get over himself. He may think he's helping Nori, but all he's doing is making his life hell, and for what? His so-called "good intentions" aren't helping Nori at all. I'm just glad the situation didn't turn out worse than it did. Gotta say, I cheered when Nori kicked Kallisto in revenge, even though it didn't satisfy him one bit, and I'm glad all that happened was Betsy-Ann leaving. Seriously, Nori is losing his friends one by one. I can say that Eddie really showed some backbone here, choosing not to involve himself in this. Loving his growth as a character. Ooh, another Gaiden chapter? Let me guess, will it be from Betsy-Ann's POV, or someone else? I can't wait!

Peanut Butter Toast is a thing? Then again, everyone has weird taste in food, including me.

Another friend left by blackmail.

Does Nori prefers listening to radio more than watching TV or his family can't afford one?

Volkner and Nori team up. This is going to get really interesting. Love it when Volker just chuckled at the end.

It was good, but sad at the same time. I can't wait for the next chapter.

Damn, first Lux, and now Betsy-Ann is gone, and the latter is all because Kallisto got the wrong idea and got her fired. Seriously, he needs to get over himself.
So here's the funny thing that you might've glossed over, given your worrying about in the previous chapter (assuming that wasn't a typo). Kallisto was technically right. He did correctly see that Betsy-Ann had a romantic interest in Nori. She certainly isn't what she thought they were, however. And she was never going to go through with it - more aware of the stigma than Kallisto was. And in the event she did, she would've been a very responsible older girlfriend. I rewrote the lines, but there was one that originally went like "months at least to get to first, and years to go beyond that". I do in fact use Japan's age of consent - but this is the only acknowledgement of it in the whole metaseries, so don't worry about that.

Gotta say, I cheered when Nori kicked Kallisto in revenge, even though it didn't satisfy him one bit, and I'm glad all that happened was Betsy-Ann leaving.
It wasn't satisfying because Kallisto didn't double over in pain or anything. Make no mistake: revenge, when and if it happens, is going to feel sweet for Nori.

I can say that Eddie really showed some backbone here, choosing not to involve himself in this. Loving his growth as a character.
Very much so. The Gym Trainers are all getting development. Like a huge thing you might've glossed over: Kallisto accepted responsibility.

Ooh, another Gaiden chapter? Let me guess, will it be from Betsy-Ann's POV, or someone else? I can't wait!
You will see in a more normal period of time. I am tempted to strap a rocket to progress, but only when I'm completely done with drafts. Mostly finished the back portion of May, however!

---

Peanut Butter Toast is a thing? Then again, everyone has weird taste in food, including me.
Huh, wasn't aware people might think it weird. Development thing: I was thinking of adding jam or making it a specific jam, but decided on simple peanut butter for a couple reasons. And yes, weird tastes are a thing.

Another friend left by blackmail.
Well, it was a different thing in Lux's instance, but, kinda yeah. Could well qualify as blackmail.

Does Nori prefers listening to radio more than watching TV or his family can't afford one?
Yes, Nori comes from a trailer park after all. He didn't have television growing up, besides at friends places. He did have radio, though. It's just what he's used to.

Volkner and Nori team up. This is going to get really interesting. Love it when Volker just chuckled at the end.
It is probably a very great chuckle at that. Like borderline sinister approval.

*Okay so that's definitely a careless thing to say on Betsy-Ann's part. You could maybe get away with it in the past but not nowadays. I think she was just joking around with a friend but there are some jokes you should probably avoid.
*Yep, she's been fired. No surprise.
*And he shrugs off a groin kick. Kallisto must've been exposed to the FEV at some point...
*At least Nori gets a chance to say goodbye this time.
*...OH.
Oh.
So Kallisto wasn't necessarily wrong but she was never going to do anything (though honestly I keep forgetting she's "only" about five years older than Nori--she feels more like her 20s).
*I imagine Volkner having a Mutley laugh here...

Short but it feels like a vital chapter. Will be interesting to see what Volkner has in mind for training.

*Okay so that's definitely a careless thing to say on Betsy-Ann's part. You could maybe get away with it in the past but not nowadays. I think she was just joking around with a friend but there are some jokes you should probably avoid.
Okay so. Here's a thing: the age of consent in Japan is 13 (and this is pretty much the only case of alluding to that you'll ever see). The bigger matter at hand is the age difference (and the personal concerns on her behalf). Legal or not come July, and even with going extremely insanely steady, that's not going to reflect well on her. It's a cultural oddity/difference thing, and sometimes sensitive even there. I even removed a line saying Westerns would find it insane; the "eighteen everywhere" line is what's left of that. And aside, I did a bit of research too: there's actually been a push by college-aged kids in particular to get it bumped to 16. So it's a little controversial even there.

Needless to say, yeah, sensitive stuff to be dealing with. Part of why I downplayed it to its minimum.

*And he shrugs off a groin kick. Kallisto must've been exposed to the FEV at some point...
Or he's such a badass he can do such a thing! As if he needed more unique things about him.

*At least Nori gets a chance to say goodbye this time.
Mhm.

*...OH.
Oh.
So Kallisto wasn't necessarily wrong but she was never going to do anything (though honestly I keep forgetting she's "only" about five years older than Nori--she feels more like her 20s).
Yeah, more or less. See what I mentioned in the replies above. Even if she did, she'd certainly maintain abstinence for years. Either way, there was never anything for Kallisto to worry about. Betsy-Ann was never going to force herself on him or emotionally manipulate him, and from Nori's reactions (and past actions), he wouldn't have accepted that if it came to that. He might've even said no to her if she asked, if thinking clearly. Yet Kallisto jumped the gun, which even he realizes in retrospect, and it had the effect of erasing Nori's self-doubts.

All in all, this part kind of harkens back to some of the themes about proof before accusation from earlier in the month, just taken to another dark place: when things get twisted or misconstrued, and get believed just because a reputable person said so.

*I imagine Volkner having a Mutley laugh here...
I was thinking more of a wicked laugh of approval. Maybe with a dash of Lelouch Lamperouge's Japanese VA.

Last edited:
Out from the shadows comes another person reviewing. It's-a me, Chris Pratt Pip. Or Torchic. I go by many names.

I need to get better at my introductions...

They were trespassing on the solar panels that led to the observatory on the highest cliffs.
Oh no juvenile delinquents! Cue "Gee Officer Krupkee". Nori doesn't seem too keen on committing a crime, though.
He wasn't, but they wouldn't care. The boy gazed down the huge slope, wondering how it had come to this.
Oooh, a flash forward. Could this be the middle, or the end?
when a notorious Pokemon known as the Demon took refuge under his home.
Woahhhh that's an intimidating nickname for a Pokémon.
Doing so and actually defeating her in the battle that followed a week later led to the Officials offering him a position. He accepted at his mom's urging, and the day had come where he would be setting off. He was going to learn from a top official to become the world's first Pokemon Rehabilitator.
The concept of a Pokémon Rehabilitator is an interesting one. I like it.
She mentioned something about possibly not being able to afford things anymore, but didn't get how that could be the case.
Oh no, financial issues. I'm guessing this is a Chekov's Gun of some sort.
Bad memories came flooding into his mind. He shuddered. That was the only time he had been far out of Veilstone before this, and he really wished he hadn't. Nori managed to suppress these thoughts, and continued on his way to the bus depot.
Uh oh, what could these bad memories be?
He was in an orange blazer over a thick white sweater, with dark brown work pants and black gloves. He looked up, equal parts relief and irritation in his blue eyes.
Good to know that Volkner has other clothes
Poor Volkner, having to stay at work so late. I like the characterization of him here.
vending machines
I don't really have much to say; I just like the fact that there are vending machines.
There was a shuttered concession area on the left with a menu over it.
Oh no I'm having flashbacks to the hockey rink at my old school.
In all seriousness, I like the fact that you're expanding on what's in Gyms. Good stuff. I always like to see it.
Nori nodded. He liked exploring, enough that he knew almost all of Veilstone like the back of his hand. But he respected things like private property and restricted areas. Most of the time.
Foreshadowing much
The floor was like, well. What you'd see in a gymnasium.
I think that the period after "well" should be replaced with a comma (and "What" should be decapitalized. Is "decapitalized" a word? I don't know.)
"I get to stay in the Gym?"
You can stay at the Gym??? I hope at least one of the Gym Leaders has slumber parties.
He did a small hop. "So are we gonna get started tomorrow?" he cheerfully asked.
I like the dynamic of "excited child mentored by brooding loner".
Well, maybe Volkner was just tired. He was too, but was just too excited to let it get to him.
GET SOME SLEEP, YOU TWO.

I like this story so far. I hear it's a metaseries, and I'm curious as to what other stories are in it.

Out from the shadows comes another person reviewing. It's-a me, Chris Pratt Pip. Or Torchic. I go by many names.

I need to get better at my introductions...
Not just a Torchic...but MORE THAN A TORCHIC!!! Glad to see you made it, and hope you enjoy this not-little fic of mine.

Oh no juvenile delinquents! Cue "Gee Officer Krupkee". Nori doesn't seem too keen on committing a crime, though.
As indirected mentioned a bit later (the comment you remarked "Foreshadowing much" on), Nori doesn't necessarily have qualms with the trespassing. He's adventurous enough! It's the fact that they could die that's bothering him.

Oooh, a flash forward. Could this be the middle, or the end?
You shall see as you read on!

Woahhhh that's an intimidating nickname for a Pokémon.
Very much so. It was actually more of an adopted media tag. It does become her formal nickname later on here.

The concept of a Pokémon Rehabilitator is an interesting one. I like it.
Thanks. I wanted to come up with something a kid could do that could hold decent respect in the Pokemon world, especially one that might entice someone who wasn't initially into Pokemon. This was also so he's in between the kid and adult worlds. But in short, it lets me do a number of shorter stories with the concept. And then this one blew up, not one I was intending to be long, but it did so in a good way.

Oh no, financial issues. I'm guessing this is a Chekov's Gun of some sort.
No, this was more alluding to a plot point from the prequel. The price of goods was going up as per inflation, but the money his mom was getting was staying the same. She never got much from the government, and so this was making it harder to survive - especially with a kid to look after. Now naturally, this sort of thing is difficult to explain to a kid, hence him not understanding. But if he got a good-paying job of his own - i.e. being a Pokemon Rehabilitator, well. There'd be pressure off herself without a second mouth to feed, and Nori's future would be secure.

Uh oh, what could these bad memories be?
This is an actual Chekov's Gun, meanwhile.

Good to know that Volkner has other clothes
Poor Volkner, having to stay at work so late. I like the characterization of him here.
It only makes sense for characters not to dress the same all the time. Gym Leaders do have uniforms as an image thing, but Volkner's is actually different - as evident by kid!Maylene, this is several years before DPP.

Oh no I'm having flashbacks to the hockey rink at my old school.
In all seriousness, I like the fact that you're expanding on what's in Gyms. Good stuff. I always like to see it.
I took a bit of inspiration from the Unova games in which several of the Gyms serve some other purpose rather than just where League goers battle for their badges Pokemon. Most of them still are, but you get to see things like administrative areas and where the Gym Trainers hang out.

I think that the period after "well" should be replaced with a comma (and "What" should be decapitalized. Is "decapitalized" a word? I don't know.)
Yeah, could be something to change.

You can stay at the Gym??? I hope at least one of the Gym Leaders has slumber parties.
Well, certainly not Volkner at least. That said, this was more of a convenience thing from Volkner so he wouldn't have to find Nori a place to stay and transportation there and back every day. It's also a convenience thing for myself, since I planned just that at one point, but changed it to both centralize the action and because it made more sense for Volkner to be lazy.

I like the dynamic of "excited child mentored by brooding loner".
It is a very fun dynamic to write, I can say that much!

I like this story so far. I hear it's a metaseries, and I'm curious as to what other stories are in it.
Okay, so far:

• Nori Carino: Training a Demon - The first fic, although not chronologically. A short story wherein Nori meets the metaseries' other protagonist and the Demon Nidorina.
  • Nori Carino: The Question of a Journey - The first chronologically. A one-shot telling how Nori met his first real friend, the child actress Claris Willins, and how they stopped being friends.
  • Prema Kannagi: A Move to Adjudicate - A follow-up to the first featuring said other protagonist and her encounter with a group of antagonizers from said fic.
  • Prema Kannagi: The Interview - Basically an adaptation of last year's Trainers of Fanfiction (rip events half the staff left) into fic form, mostly telling some backstory about her family's shrine.
  • Nori Carino: A Marvelous Encounter? - A fun little one-shot that crosses over with @Juliko 's Pokemon: A Marvelous Journey; alluding to the fact that the technical actual first Nori fic was an alternate world fic of her fanfic (and also this one).

That said, I generally design them so you need no knowledge of any of the other fics to enjoy any particular one. For example, Training a Demon's plot is effectively summarized in a few paragraphs here, you can get context on Claris but it's not important to the plot, and the rest take place in the future (and aren't relevant to this plot anyway). So don't feel compelled to read through any of them for the sake of this one.

GAIDEN: May Your Flint Burn Bright (first part)
Rin Kakoku was intended to stay around longer, but I realized in-planning there was only so much I could do with her - and might've even caused problems if she was on Nori's side. She also wasn't in at all, instead her role was fulfilled by Agent Studd from February. However, Arumi (and Billy Ordride) was my designated comic relief and he really didn't fit with how much things escalated, so I changed it. He's another future character; actually, he debuted in the non-canon (and fic of a fic which was Nori's first fic) Marvelous Journey Awry. If he felt like Platinum Looker...well. It was because he WAS Looker initially there, just not by name.

##########
=========
##########

GAIDEN: May Your Flint Burn Bright (first part)
May 9th, 2015

In the mountains of northern Sinnoh, there was a city blanketed in snow for over half the year. The frigid temperature of higher elevations and the high amount of Ice-type Pokemon, including the Abomasnows, made sure that summer and its surrounding months were the only times the ground was not coated in white powder. The main roads and sidewalks in the city were heated to keep them consistently clear, which also meant less plowing and shoveling to do by the city. Which also meant they were the most congested.

Flint Donaldson always had to wear extra layers whenever he went outside. Ironic, for the aptly named Heat of Snowpoint. He was more used to the warmer climate of Batalson Island. If he had things his way, his Gym would be in the Survival Area, where he lived the first eight years of his life. Yet the League wouldn't let him put it there - they thought of Batalson as more of an extension, rather than a full-fledged part of Sinnoh. And so he was instead the flame of a snowbound land.

The Snowpoint Gym was his little corner of paradise on the northeast side of town. It was good to be back after his little vacation, and he even had a new partner! A funny little minecart he nicknamed Coco - derived from what they call them down in South Africa, and because she loves chocolate.

From the outside, the Gym looked like a giant fireplace. It was made up of reddish gray bricks of shale to give the building a high thermal mass. His original idea for the building was to make it look like a sauna on the outside for the sheer audacity of it. His Gym Trainers advised him that was a bad idea for a Fire type Gym, however. But there was in fact a sauna to the right of it, and a big open space to the left and behind it for battles and play.

It was a bit of a story how he ended up moving the Gym here. The old one near the town's center was over a century old, and as far as Flint was concerned, in desperate need of renovations. Most importantly, it was so small and so close to the city that his Steelix had no place to get out and stretch.

Gneiss was his first Pokemon, and he had considered becoming a Ground-type Gym Leader because of her. Little Flint was a silly, adventurous boy who always worried his parents sick. One day when he was nine, he went wandering into Stark Mountain without friends or adults. He got lost and was confronted by a group of Koffings, until an Onix came bursting out a nearby wall to protect him. She followed him out of the cave, and accepted when asked to join him. The legendary scolding and months-long grounding he got was worth making a lifelong friend!

One day not even a month into his Gym Leader career, Gneiss discovered a heated underground reservoir when burrowing around. A happy little accident, as they say. Archeologists determined it led into the ancient temple of the city, a sort of ‘vein’. The water flowed in from the ocean, being heated by an unknown phenomenon. It so happened some of it was funneling away into an underground hot spring that evoked fond memories of Tonsen Land.

Flint got into contact with the owner of the theme park - an old friend of his father's - and bought the land out with him. In the process, he relocated the Gym right next door, since hey, they didn't say where in the city his Gym had to be. Thankfully, they had some fast contractors who got it up within a few months. He'd been trying to recommend them to Volkner for ages, but his friend wasn't having any of it.

Flint parked his SUV in his designated stall, got out, and locked it up. As he was walking up the stony path leading to the entrance, he saw one of his Gym Trainers, Alicia Hardee. Whenever out and about, the dark blue haired girl always dressed in an orange jumpsuit like she was heading on an expedition. Very warm clothes, that said. It was a stark contrast to her friend, a ravenous haired girl with a long braid. She had on a simple blue and white shirt, with a matching thick skirt that didn't reach her knees and long socks that extended to her knees with her fluffy brown boots.

"Hey girls!" Flint greeted them. "Meeting with some hot dates?"

While her friend giggled at his jesting, Alicia rolled her eyes. "Nice to see you too," she bitterly muttered. Same as always.

"Kidding, of course!" He laughed. He knew all his Gym Trainers well, and Alicia claimed she didn't have an interest in dating. Of course, she was just twelve. He wouldn't be surprised if she changed her tune one of these days! "So how's things been going?"

"See for yourself," his Gym Trainer spat, walking off without her friend.

"Gee, must've not been good times when I was away," Flint mused the obvious aloud.

"Don't worry about a thing!" her friend said with a wink. "Candice will make sure she's in good cheer!"

The red 'froed man grinned. "Heh, always liked your fiery spirit! Must be how you're not cold in that skirt! Y'know, you and her remind me so much of me and Volkner!"

Candice giggled. "I can see that! Welp, see ya later!" She hurried to catch up with Alicia.

A great girl, that Candice. Pretty skilled with Pokemon too, from what he'd seen. And to think she'd never even thought about about journeying! He'd have scouted her, but she said she preferred Ice types. Quite the irony, given her warm heart! Just the kind of friend Alicia needed.

Flint stepped through the front doors into the Gym's reception area. It was laid out in an innovative way. The back of the building had the battlefield. It was custom designed to favor the Fire type. The sandy ground was heated from the cavern below. It absorbed water, caught rolling rocks, and dampened shaking earth. He may have taken some inspiration from the Lavaridge Gym. Or he may have not! It's not as if the two were the same, after all. The right side of the building were rooms for guests to relax, get refreshments, and watch some battles. The left side was the puzzle. Flint came up with a fun one. While he couldn't match Fantina's game show or Gasha's mini Contest stage - but then again, who could? - he was quite proud of his little steam and vent pressure maze.

"Honey, I'm home!" he called out. A woman with silvery green hair wearing a black vest over a red shirt and casual black slacks came out of the arena to greet him.

"You're late, dear," said Hinata Hanabusa. His longest tenured Gym Trainer, given she'd been with him since the beginning. They knew each other in and out, only natural since they met as kids, to where people called them like an old married couple. They went along with the joke in public. Never even considered each other though for one reason or another, plus she was actually married now anyway.

"Sorry, honey. Traffic, y'know?" He shrugged. "Thought I could be smart by not taking the main roads. Then I got stuck behind a snowmobile convey."

Hinata laughed. "The bane of us all." Snowmobile enthusiasts had been causing traffic problems and the odd accident for years now, especially those that tricked theirs out to ride on the roads. Some of the more disgruntled citizens had chosen to start a petition outlawing their use in the city, but Flint figured it was just part of life. Their way of having fun!

"So how's things been the last week?" he asked his Gym Trainer.

"It's been business as usual. Here, and at home." She said that last part with derision, alluding to her marital problems the last year. Flint was happy to be there for Hinata if she needed the help and support. After a moment, she smiled and added, "Though we had a bit of excitement here yesterday."

"Heh heh, a rowdy challenger?" The red-haired man grinned.

"You could say that," his Gym Trainer replied. "Some girl came in complaining about child labor laws."

Flint whistled. "Hoo boy. Lemme guess, she complained about Alicia too, not just Kimmy?"

"Of course she did."

"Met a couple like that before, like when I went to Veilstone this one time and saw these kids who called themselves Hams or something. Never pleasant dealing with those types." From what he figured, this girl was either hardline culturally insensitive, had nothing better to do, or both. "Ain't even like she thinks! Kimmy's here 'cause she wants to be! And like, you got that kid with the floaty who works with Wake. Not just us!"

Kids could totally own and train Pokemon before they got a license to travel! And thinking they were making twelve-year-old Alicia work! Woof. Better to not even address that one.

Hinata smiled. "You should've seen Kimmy herself mouth off at her. Right before beating her in her qualifier."

Flint winked, grinned, and flashed a thumbs-up. "Hey hey!" He clapped. "Thought she was the type who had nothing better to do than complain and spread her strong opinions around. But a challenger! Good on Kimmy!"

"You've been training her well."

"Heh, have you and the others to thank for that. We're all one big family here, remember that!" Hinata chuckled in agreement. "And? Where's our interim Gym Leader? How's he been doing?"

"He's upstairs. He's had some confidence issues, but Tai Ying and I have been helping him through it."

"Know he has it in him to take over some day. Which, I'm hoping is going to be when I promote to Elite Four! He just needs to light that spark of confidence in himself!" With this, Flint paused. Well, better ask just to be sure. "But speaking of my promotion, how's Sofie been doing?"

Hinata crossed her arms. "You need to have a talk with her," she said, like a wife scolding her husband.

The Gym Leader chuckled. "Sorry honey, I guess I'll get right on that."

Classic, classic Sofie. He invited her along on the trip to Galar, but she turned it down. Used some pretty charged language about the region, too. But she is who she is.

He went up to the second floor. A mostly staff-restricted place. There were three rooms up here, besides the obvious like bathrooms and such: their break room which doubled as the meeting room, a small battlefield for sparring, and an indoor play area for their Pokemon. Especially handy for when it was not-outside weather!

Flint went straight for the break room. It was a wide-open space, plenty of room for them and their littler Pokemon to relax. Just as he thought, a young girl with blazing blue hair dressed in a simple black shirt and pants was here with a balding elderly man in his 50s clad in a traditional Mitsutri clan kimono. With them were their best partners: a black lamp with a purple flame within and ribbon-like hands in Kimmy Wilkins' case, and an orange-yellow monkey with huge ears and a fluffy swirly tail for Tai Ying Chung.

He sat back and watched the show for a bit. Lampy the Lampent was playing patty-cake with the Simisear, as the two sang along.

"Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man!" Kimmy used a different version of the lyrics. She turned to Tai Ying to continue.

"Bake me a cake as fast as you can!" came the jovial reply.

"Roll it!"

"Pat it!"

"And mark it with–KYAA!!"

Kimmy yelped as Simisear pushed too hard, sending her Pokemon into a stumble on the floor. The Ghost and Fire type lay still for a few seconds, before snapping up and saluting. Everyone laughed.

"Well, you two are having fun!" Flint declared, walking inside.

"Mr. Donaldson!" the young girl beamed wildly, rushing over to greet him.

Tai Ying nodded. "Good to see you back, Flint."

"Good to be back, Tai Ying." He turned to his youngest Gym Trainer. She might've only turned nine last month, but she was a true blue prodigy with a love for Fire types! And tomorrow marked her six-month anniversary at the Gym! "And hey, little Kimmy! Heard you beat a mean girl yesterday!"

"Yup! She said you were making me work like a slave, whatever that is!" She got sort of an evil look in her eyes as she did a fist pump. "But I showed her what you showed me! Lampy and all my other Pokemon beat her Pokemon up!"

He ruffled her hair. "Heh heh heh! Nice going. Got a bright future ahead of you." Some like might look at her and raise an eyebrow. Still more might be confused at her being below the usual trainer license age. That was just for the Gym Challenge, though! There were plenty of little fireballs out there like Kimmy!

A vague smile came to Tai Ying's lips. "She has been improving greatly indeed. Anyhow, how was your trip?" the elderly Chinese man asked.

"Went well!" he replied. "Nice to take a week off. Even got a new Pokemon!" He brandished the Dusk Ball he had caught her in.

Kimmy gasped. "Lemme see! Lemme see!"

All too happy to oblige, he sent his new friend out. A rectangular box-shaped Pokemon with stone wheels for feet. A face peeked out from under the fiery coals on her back.

"Wow! Is that a Carkol?" the little girl asked. No surprise she recognized it. Kimmy knew every Fire type native to Japan by heart, and many of the ones that weren't native!

His Pokemon flashed a wild beam, her orange teeth glimmering. Not wanting to be shown up, Flint matched his Pokemon's expression. "Call her Coco! Coco the Carkol!" He patted her under the chin. "Welcome to your new home!"

Kimmy bounced right up. "Nice to meet you, Coco! My name's Kimmy, and that's Mr. Chung!" The elderly man bowed as his name was spoken. Kimmy gestured. "This is my best friend, Lampy! And this is Mr. Chung's best friend, Simisear! Oh, and I have Growly and Ponyty too, but they're napping right now!"

Flint sent out another of his Pokemon, a fluffy brown humanoid bunny Pokemon with long ears. "Lagomo, show our new pal around the place."

"Can we come too?!" asked Kimmy.

He flashed a thumbs-up. "Of course you can! Hey, might be even better if you're the one to show'er around, heh!"

"Yay! Let's go, everyone!"

The Gym Leader watched as Kimmy led the entourage of Pokemon out into the halls. He chuckled. "She seems to be settling in nicely! Gonna need more Fire types if I want to stand with the Elite Four! Of course, I'm not gonna just retire my others, heh."

"Flint." Tai Ying spoke up, his tone suddenly cold like the air outside. "Sofie's behavior is becoming unacceptable."

"Wow, rare to see you flip the switch and become all business-like. Must've missed something serious. What happened? Where is she?"

"A lot happened. And she just went upstairs with Firuz."

"All right, I'll go check on them."

Three of his five Gym Trainers had implied something'd gone on with Sofie while he was away, but all had been vague so far. He figured it was just Sofie being Sofie, maybe moreso without him around.

So up and up the stairs he went! The third floor was all about Flint Donaldson! Smaller than the rest. It had his office and a room he slept in whenever he couldn't make it back home at night. Plus his own personal bathroom. A little home away from home, as it were.

Flint heard a rustling from inside his bedroom. He opened the door and peeked inside. "Sofie, Firuz, you guys–WHOA THERE!"

He was greeted by the sight of Sofie with her pants down and shirt up. Entwined with her and pressed against the wall was Firuz, who had stripped entirely. The Gym Leader immediately shut the door.

"Didn't mean to walk in on you two lovebirds!" he said with a laugh and whistle. So it finally happened! He hoped he hadn't spoiled their mood. "Just come out when you're finished up!"

"He was finished before you got here," Sofie dryly replied. "I give him a chance, he doesn't even give me five seconds."

"It was my first time!" Firuz protested.

"A virgin at nineteen. For fuck's sake."

After twenty seconds, Sofie came marching out, clothes in their proper location. Flint wagged a finger at her. "Come now, Sofie. Everyone loses their innocence at a different age. Lost mine when I was twenty-three."

"Yeah?" she asked. "That when Volkner fucked you in the ass?"

"How did you know?" Firuz' jaw dropped in horror, although Sofie was nonplussed. The Gym Leader laughed some more. "Kidding! He's a swell guy, but he doesn't swing like that. Between us?" He leaned in. "Don't think he swings any which way."

Sofie pushed him aside, tossing a stained tissue to the floor. "Whatever, I'm going to get cleaned up and get myself off." She pointed a thumb backwards as she stomped off. "Since this small-pricked shit couldn't."

"Hopefully not in that order, since you'll just get sweaty again, heh." As she was nearly down the stairs, he hollered, "And just watch where you do it! You don't want to scar little Kimmy, now!"

Nothing to be said if she had those urges! He'd have to have that talk with her a bit later. But for now, there was someone else he wanted to speak with. The slightly muscular yet short guy with wild fiery orange hair sitting on his bed - just a small cot with a mattress, really - covering his shame.

"Real handful, ain't she?" Flint remarked, sitting beside his Gym Trainer and putting a hand on his back. Firuz sighed. "Hey, don't feel too bad about it. That's how most guys' first time tends to go in real life. All that stuff you read in fiction about picking it up right away's just that, fiction!"

"I thought she liked me back..." he droned.

"Don't think you're her type." He had to confess, just to himself of course, he was more than a little surprised at what happened. Firuz had never hid his attraction towards Sofie, but she'd dismissed him up until today. "But hey! You know she likes strong, tough guys! You could grow to be one!"

"I guess..."

Flint glanced down at his Gym Trainer's lap as he shuffled his hands, taking note of something. "Doesn't look like you used anything, either."

"She said she was on the pill..."

The Gym Leader chuckled. "Well, you don't know if she's clean. But hey, can't take it back now."

Firuz' face again went wide in horror. He looked down at his manhood, pondering what he had just done.

"Don't worry about it!" he told his Gym Trainer. "I'm sure it'll be fine. But let's get off the subject now. So how'd your time as Gym Leader go?"

Firuz uneasily glanced away. "I don't want to talk about it right now..."

He patted Firuz on the back again. "Perfectly understandable! You just had your first time and your first heartbreak! We'll talk more tonight, okay?"

"Okay..." Firuz turned away before asking, "Um, do you mind if I use your bathroom to clean up?"

"Go ahead!"

With a thankful nod, his Gym Trainer gathered up his strewn-about clothes and went to do just that.

Well! Again, not what he was expecting when he got back today! But hey, he was happy for them both. And who could say? Maybe this really was the first step in a blossoming love! He sat down in his big comfy chair and spun around with it. It was good to be sitting here again! He'd have to call his parents and baby brother and friends know that Flint Donaldson was back in town!

##########​

May 10th, 2015

"All right, let's get this meeting started!" They were all here at the table in the break room, having had a nice dinner of pulled pork with rice and veggies. "Tai Ying, what are the stats from last week?"

The elderly man opened his binder. "Last week, we had eleven challengers, three of which were Gym Battles. Of the latter, two of them won Kiln Badges, one did not." He turned the page. "Of the eight qualifiers, there were three failures: one who did not complete the puzzle, one defeated by Kimmy, and one defeated by myself. Of those who passed, three did so by defeating Alicia, one through Hinata, and one through myself."

"An average week, from the sounds of it. Besides the higher than usual puzzle completion rate, heh. Any other challenger news?"

"Yes," he nodded. "We have had a request for a late night challenge by one Walter Nutt."

Flint mimed fanning himself. "Woof, that's an unfortunate name. Not the worst I've heard, but not one I'd want to have in school! And hey, who am I to say no to that? League says we gotta be flexible for those with weird schedules. Or in some cases, Leaders with weird schedules have to be flexible for those with normal ones, heh. You set it for the usual time?"

"11pm next Saturday," Tai Ying confirmed.

"We'll be ready for him!" Flint dramatically paused before adding, "With a fresh pot of coffee."

Everyone laughed. Well, just about everyone.

"Good work, everyone!" Kimmy said, right before noticing the glum girl in question. "What's wrong, Alicia?"

"I've been on a losing streak lately..." she said with a sigh. "It's not fair to my Pokemon to keep failing them. They're starting to get frustrated with me."

Kimmy put a hand on her fellow Gym Trainer's back, rubbing it. "Aw, it's okay! I'm sure you'll get better."

Flint assured her. "Kimmy's right! We all have our slumps. Hey, did you know even Kallisto Keravnos went into one before? Hard to believe since he's been undefeated in two years, huh?" He grinned. "It'll be fine, Alicia. You win some, you lose some!"

"Hmph," came a sudden voice from the doorway.

"There's my budding Dark-type enthusiast!" he greeted Sofie as she stepped inside. "Heh, funny how I didn't push you towards anything, but you found a type you like, all on your own."

"If I may?" she asked.

Tai Ying was eying her like an intruder, but hey, she's sat in on these before. "The more the merrier, I say!" Flint declared.

The okay given, she stepped forth and said her piece. "Your job as a Gym Trainer is to get run over before the Gym Leader. That's it."

Alicia was on her feet immediately, looking like she might start swinging. "Why, you..."

"That is completely out of line!" snapped Tai Ying.

Sofie smirked and crossed her arms. She tilted her head. "I'm not wrong, am I?"

Hinata looked about to speak up, but she thought better of it. Flint was content to let them get it out of their system. It'd be no good to interrupt it now and tell them to stop, just because it was getting a little heated. Nobody'd be happy that way.

"Our job is to TEST trainers, just like the Gym Leaders!" Tai Ying barked. "It is a noble position to be proud of, one important to our society that only a select few are willing to do. So hold your head high, Alicia."

That little speech helped. She did indeed look up proudly, if still discontent. That smile of hers was pretty forced, but it was one all the same.

Yet Sofie kept pouring on the fuel. "You're making a career out of losing."

"Sofie, why are you being so mean?" Kimmy asked.

"I'm telling the truth. That's it." She put her hands up in a shrug and shook her head. "As long as you're a Gym Trainer, you have a ceiling. That's facts. Sure, you could be a Kallisto Keravnos and crush everyone you don't like before they even get to the Gym Leader, but you'd still just be a Gym Trainer."

"But..." Firuz chimed in. He hesitated as all eyes fell upon him. With a gulp, he said, "But it lets you get a lot of practice for when you really go out to be a trainer..."

"Yeah?" Sofie replied. "Practice for losing."

"All right, settle down, everyone," Hinata spoke up.

Flint had to agree. Now it was getting a little too personal. "We don't need to act like children here! Heh, actual children being excused." He gave Kimmy a thumbs up.

"No one answered my question," Sofie argued.

"Hey, you're not wrong." The other reason he'd been quiet was since he had been thinking of a rebuttal, and now he knew just what to say about this. "Most of us are way stronger when we put in the effort! You're right, our job is to lose...but to make'em work with it! And remember everyone, we're really all here for one reason: to train together as Fire-type enthusiasts!"

And that pepped his Gym Trainers up. Kimmy clapped and hurrahed, as did Firuz in a more restrained fashion. Hinata and Tai Ying both nodded in agreement with smiles. Alicia agreed solemnly, sort of melancholy. And as for Sofie?

"You barely are a Fire-type trainer!" she yelled.

"And I've been fixing that." It was a running joke that he, Flint Donaldson, was more of a Fire-type move enthusiast. Heck, he only had five of the type at present counting Coco: Vanara the Infernape, Eldhäst the Rapidash, Inugami the Houndoom, and Raphael the Turtonator! Not even a full team!

"As for you Alicia, take it easy." He winked and flashed a thumbs-up. "We all have more losses on our record here than wins. But if you need to, training's an option. I'll give you the Flint Special Tutoring Course!"

Hinata concurred. "It's okay, Alicia. If you're feeling your skills aren't up to snuff, I can lend you a hand too."

"Me three!" added Kimmy.

Firuz twiddled his fingers. "I'll help how I can, I guess."

Of course, Tai Ying was supportive as well. "We are all a family here. If you need assistance, you need but ask."

"There's your friend Candice too!" Flint reminded her. "Certainly got real skills, that one. Sure she can help you, and hey, know she already has been helping."

Alicia was now on the verge of crying, for the right reasons of course. She wiped some tears from her eyes. "Thanks, everyone..."

Sofie only shook her head at the display. "Disgusting," she muttered under her breath as she turned to leave.

"Where are you going, Sofie?" Kimmy asked.

"All this friendship stuff pisses me off." She punctuated this by slamming the door behind her.

Alicia sneered. Good, that meant her mood was picking up! "Wonder what's crawled up her, lately?" Back to the usual Alicia, heh.

Tai Ying crossed his arms. "Have you spoken with her, Flint?"

"Not yet."

"See that you do soon."

"Sure, but now's not the time. Still got a meeting to get through, after all!" Tai Ying accepted this. "With that distraction out of the way. Let's move onto Gym upkeep. Hinata, if you would?"

She nodded. "Of course."

##########​

May 13th, 2015

"Excuse me! We'd like to register for the Gym, please!"

Flint happened to be right down the hall trying to have that talk with Sofie, when the voice of a challenger accosted him. With a shrug, he walked out to personally greet them. Challengers take priority! Turned out, it was not one but two. Both looked about fifteen or sixteen, and both had black hair, though the shorter one by about 8cm had ruby-pink eyes and the taller one had sapphire-blue.

"Welcome, welcome!" He dramatically gestured. "Welcome to my humble little Gym. We'll just need to get you checked in. Just some formalities, they should be over in a lick and snap!"

"Oh, I like licking snaps," said the taller of the two.

Flint grinned. He already liked this one. She eyed the other girl, who nervously chuckled. Ah, to be a young couple in love!

He brought them over to the front desk, saluting the receptionist - Diane Leech. "So what are you ladies' names?" he inquired as she got to work. "I of course, am the Gym Leader, Flint Donaldson! And this is my student, Sofie Shadden!" He motioned to her as she casually watched from the hallway.

"Shinobu Maehama," introduced the taller one.

He leaned in with an inquisitive smirk. "Maehama, as in the guys who made the shirt on my back?"

"The very same. I'm actually the heir to the company," she formally introduced. Heh, it was like she flipped the switch from flirty jokester to level-headed lady.

"Excuse me," Sofie spoke up, approaching them with a raised eyebrow. "Are those ninja clothes?"

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Tailor!" she sang. Indeed, she was in a light blue outfit designed for ease of movement! Nothing quite like how she just described it though. Made of soft, quiet material. Even came with a nice gold-yellow scarf. Seemed like they'd be comfy in the hot and in the cold. "I sewed them myself. It's a tribute to the battling coach my family hired when I was ten, Master Iga."

"Scored Koga's old rival, eh?" Flint asked. "The stuff money can buy. But I bet you just didn't like the socialite look."

She confirmed with a nod. "It's never really been my style. I love yours, by the way." She directed this at Sofie's punk-goth attire, who turned away and crossed her arms. Shinobu presented her girlfriend with a peppy gesture. "And this is my little pet wolf!"

"I'm Nori Masuda," she calmly introduced herself with a small bow. She was certainly elegant herself. A beret that matched her eyes with a generic wolf button on the left side, and black and red clothing with that distinct style you'd find in Kalos! Her name was amusing to Flint.

"Masuda, eh?" he quipped. "Heh, bet that gets a lot of jokes about if you're related to that guy who helps work on those virtual journeys. And Nori, too!" He vigorously clapped. "Also bet you get compared to a certain other Nori."

She laughed a little sheepishly. "I get both of those a lot."

He tilted his head, studying her a bit further. "Heck, you even look a bit like him!" he concluded. "Dark hair, reddish eyes. Wouldn't it be funny if you were long lost family? It's gonna be a little confusing once you make it to Sunyshore Gym!"

"If she makes it to Sunyshore Gym," Sofie cut in. "She looks like a casual trainer."

He smirked. Nice to see she had a good sense for that, but not a very nice thing to say or necessarily the right conclusion. "Never count anyone out, Sofie!" he wagged a finger. "There's no stopping someone with League aspirations!"

"Well," Nori pressed her thumbs together. "I don't really want to enter the League. I'm just traveling with Shinobu and doing the whole journey thing with her."

Shinobu snickered. "I like doing all sorts of things with you." She winked and nudged Nori, who practically drooped as she blushed profusely.

"Will you two get a fucking room, already?!" Sofie snapped.

Flint chimed in, barely containing his own chuckling. "I think they're going to get one of those rooms tonight." Shinobu laughed and applauded, evidently approving of that one. Nori and Sofie both got redder, for different reasons of course.

"Gods, don't go along with this!" Sofie complained.

"Nothing wrong with a little joking. But hey, seems like you're all checked in." The girls nodded as the secretary handed back their trainer cards. "So let's get you over to the puzzle!"

The puzzle room was only a short jaunt down the hall. Sofie tagged along as he led the two challengers there. He opened the door and stepped inside. It was a dimly lit room, overall maybe like something out of Fuego Ironworks by happenstance.

"A dark room..." Nori mused aloud. She took out a cell phone, presumably looking a couple things up about it. "It says this is a steam and vent maze."

Shinobu snickered. "It's steamy, you say?"

"Yup, it's gonna get hot in there," Flint replied.

"Is it hard?" the ninja girl asked.

"The difficulty is on the stiff side." Gym Puzzles were never much, but Flint's was considered the second toughest in all of Sinnoh, behind Warutsu's. With a grin, he added, "You might find yourself playing there for a while."

"Sounds like we'll be having some fun, then." Shinobu licked her lips, making Nori nervously turn away. "Let's get started, shall we?"

"Don't fool around too much!" He called to them as they set off. Leaving the double entendres aside, he clarified, "Seriously. Ten minute time limit. Had to put it in after a kid got heatstroke in there. Holler if you start to feel lightheaded, and we'll shut the steam off and be in right away!"

He closed the door. Tai Ying was already ready and waiting their triumph at the other end. "Man, do wonder though," he remarked to Sofie. "I wonder how we're allowed to do these things. I mean, anywhere but a Pokemon Gym, these'd be serious workplace safety violations! Hahaha! I heard there's a Gym out in Galar that blindly drops its challengers in icy pits? Can you believe that?"

"Pft."

Yeah, he could tell what was on her mind. He shrugged. "Relax, she's just showing her love in her own way."

"Neither of them take battling seriously."

Huh, and here he thought it was about the PDA, maybe that they're two girls. "May be true, maybe it's true. But hey, doesn't mean they can't be strong. Just look at me! I've been called a pretty chill guy. Ironic for a Fire-type expert, isn't it? Although I suppose I'm not much of one without a full team, but I'm working on that!"

Sofie waved dismissively. "Ramble, ramble, ramble. Remember, it's not just me versus that other Nori." Well! That was a hilariously rude thing to call him. Flint actually chuckled over it. "You're going to have to battle Volkner. He'll be going all out, so you better not slack either!"

"I know that! But hey, maybe you're not wrong. Heh, the teacher learning from the student." He could only snicker at the irony there. "We're always learning, even from unexpected sources. Maybe I should be training myself more and not just you. But that's way down the line, could be years before that happens. Don't want to burn out now! Why I'm taking it easy. Make sense?"

"Sure." She rolled her eyes.

"Great!" The Gym Leader grinned. "So for now, let's await in the arena their triumph!"

"You do that. I have more important things to be doing."

Flint could only smirk as she went off in the direction of the maze exit. There'd been an irony on his mind ever since visiting Volkner in mid-March. Sofie could be like him, with her passion burning bright and all. But she more often reminded him a little of Volkner back in the day! She was a little cruder and ruder, sure, not to mention actually had some style. But she had the same mindset towards battle and with no sense of fun!

He recalled an incident back when he and Volkner were on their journeys...

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

June 25th, 1998

Flint was eleven at the time. A ripe young age to be journeying. He'd recently met a traveling companion a year younger than him. Ran into her down in the Great Marsh, back before it became a tourist attraction. Many people know her as Hinata Hanabusa! They were hitting it off well on their trip up Route 212, when she suggested stopping by the mansion situated there. N.V. Backlot was always welcoming to visitors, as long as they let him get his boasts in. Still is like that to this day, in fact.

They could tell before they got in the doors that something was going on! The mansion was way too lively for it to be otherwise. Unless a bunch of kids like them decided to visit it all at once! And hey, wouldn't you know it? He saw a spiky-haired blond boy with a black coat in the lobby!

"V!" he hurried over and greeted his friend. "Didn't expect to run into you here of all places!"

Volkner slowly turned around. After some initial horror, he sneered and shook a fist threateningly. "Go away, Flint!"

"Hey now," he put up his palms. "I have every right to be here, same as you! And is that any way to treat an old friend?"

The spiky-haired blond rolled his eyes. "We're not friends, we're rivals!"

Hinata stepped in. "Is there something going on at the mansion?"

"Figure it out yourself!" snapped Volkner as he stormed off. "Or better yet, leave now!"

So they just talked to another guest, and found out, Mr. Backlot was holding a competition in his Trophy Garden for young trainers! Winner gets an evolutionary stone of their choosing! May not seem like much these days, but back then, this was a huge deal. Before the Underground started getting mined, stones were hard to get up in Sinnoh! So him and Hinata decided to enter, right at the last minute. She had her Vulpix, and he'd just caught a Bellsprout down near Pastoria that would've loved to have one of those stones. And of course, Volkner was entering for his Pikachu's sake.

The competition came in stages. A certain number of entrants passed each round, the rest got eliminated. He couldn't remember all of it; maybe Hinata would? But he knew it came down to him, Volkner, and two others at the final leg of it, which was Pokemon hide and seek! Thanks to Gneiss' tall body and Lagomo's keen ears, he was able to find the concealed Pokemon before anyone else did!

All the competitors gathered in the front foyer afterward to celebrate his victory. He was called onto a small stage of sorts. There was a table set up atop with one of every stone on it. From a shimmering teal Dawn Stone to a serene blue Water Stone, they were all accounted for.

"Good show out there!" Mr. Backlot congratulated. Back in those days, he had a full head of brown hair and no mustache. "I'm almost a little jealous of your Pokemon! Almost! Haha!" Flint laughed back. "As promised, you can have any kind of stone from my collection that you want! So, what did you have in mind?"

"Well, I got a little Bellsprout here. Hey Venus! Come on out!" He cracked open her Poke Ball, and a little root with a bell-shaped face and leafs for hands popped out. He flashed her two thumbs up. "So Venus! Guess what?" He let it hang in the air. "We've won!"

The little Bellsprout cheered this, doing a celebratory victory dance. No doubt, she'd want to thank her teammates later.

"So what do you want to be when you grow up?" He intentionally worded it in a silly way. He glanced at Mr. Backlot. "Letting her decide between a Leaf Stone and Poison Stone, if it wasn't clear."

"Of course, my boy!" Mr. Backlot retrieved a greenish rock with a leaf pattern and a blackish one with speckles.

Flint placed them down in front of his Pokemon. "So what'll it be, Venus?"

The little Bellsprout mused this for a while. Eventually, she lifted the Poison Stone. Or tried to, but the message was clear.

"Heh heh! A Bloomitts, eh?" He grinned. "Y'know, I always wondered. Gloom evolves into Bellossom, and Weepinbell into Bloomitts. Think someone got the naming pattern mixed up?"

"It always did puzzle me!" agreed Mr. Backlot, taking back the Leaf Stone. "Once again, congratulations!"

"Thank you! Haha! We did it, guys! We won the Poison Stone!" He raised it into the air as his fellow trainers cheered and clapped, holding it as proudly as any Gym Badge. Even the servants were getting in on it. "Look out, Sinnoh League, as Venus the future Bloomitts is coming for you!"

Flint looked out into the crowd with a grin. He spotted Volkner leaning against a pillar, sneering with his arms crossed, simply glaring. As he left the stage, a smiling Hinata approached him.

"Nicely done, Flint," she said, her hands folded.

"Thanks, Hinata! Man! What a rush!" He did a double-armed fist pump. "Thanks for suggesting we come here! Never would've gotten this if you hadn't done so! I admit, I was a teensy bit worried about how I was going to evolve Venus at first. Guess I don't have to, anymore!"

He glanced out, finding Volkner had yet to move or change expression.

"That's one heck of a Leer attack, V! Might even be a Scary Face!" he joked. "But hey, don't feel so bad! Tough break for now, but we all have our losses. It's about how we move on from them that defines us! So just relax, don't get caught up on this too much. I'm sure you'll probably find a Thunder Stone someday!"

"Shut up."

He wasn't shouting, and yet Volkner's voice cut through the mansion, silencing everyone.

"Hey now!" Flint spoke up, hurt by this.

Volkner slowly approached, his words cold and menacing. "Why did you have to come here? I specifically left Pastoria ahead of you so I wouldn't have to put up with you being a step ahead of me at every turn. And then what happens? You catch up, you swoop in, you win that stone, and brag about it to my face."

Hinata interposed. "Stop acting immature! Flint won this, fair and square!"

"Stay out of this," he firmly but gently shoved her aside, without missing a step. "This is between me and him."

The silvery green haired girl growled. Flint took it in stride. "Well, it can't be helped, V," he said with a shrug. "I'm sorry, but I am a trainer too! Gotta look out for my own Pokes!" He chuckled.

"I'm sick of you." Volkner took out a Poke Ball. "I'm challenging you, right here. I'm crushing you and rubbing it in your face."

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

And he did! Had to stay at the mansion for a couple days to let Vanara, Gneiss, and Venus recover from the thumping they got, it was that bad! He'd known Volkner ever since moving to Sunyshore, since they were in the same grade and all. Yet he'd never seen him battle Pokemon with that kind of brutal precision before! And once he won, he lived up to his promise of making him know it. That was the first time, but wasn't the last.

Funny, Volkner was one of his best friends, but they barely understood each other at times. He'd always been the better trainer! He never understood what his deal was!

"Flint."

His trip down memory lane was interrupted by one of his Gym Trainers. "What's shakin', Tai Ying?" he asked the elderly man. "Do we officially have two new challengers?"

He nodded. "More importantly, I came to talk to you about Sofie."

"What about her? Spoke with her a little before this, if you're wondering."

"She had a confrontation with the challengers after they finished the puzzle."

Flint shrugged. "It's just a little bit of trash talk. Ideological differences. She thinks they don't take things serious enough." He snickered a bit. "Heh, bet they'll prove that right wrong in their battle!"

Volkner always used to accuse him of that, and yet he always did his best to give him a fight. Even at the League! Flint lost, but he showed Volkner you don't have to be super serious to be super strong! There was never any shame in losing to someone better than you. Especially if that someone nearly became Champion!

Tai Ying shook his head. "This went beyond trash talk. She used words that I'm not going to repeat."

The Gym Leader blinked, ruffling his 'fro. "Well, all right. Sounds like she was using slurs. Can't have her doing that. Not good for her image. So I'll talk to her about it after the qualifier."

"See that you do. She's becoming an embarrassment to the Gym."

With this, Tai Ying left. Flint leaned back on the lawn chair he watched battles from. Sounds like the Sofie situation was picking up too much. Maybe he'd have to nip it in the bud after all.

##########
=========
##########

Bloomitts is yet another GS beta Pokemon, better known as Tsubomitto. Another beta Pokemon shows up in the next chapter, which continues this plot.

Nori Masuda here is of course a reference to Nori the user. I didn't post MarAwry here, but returned to post the metaseries proper. Imagine my surprise when there was someone named Nori around - a silly coincidence that spawned a bit of joking (and makes me always specify Nori Carino/Other!Nori on Discord). This universe's version of that Nori (and Shinobu) is a mashup of her fictional counterpart(s), non-fiction, and my own ideas. Incidentally, Nori's first name means "belief", which was chosen for having Japanese origins and fitting what he does.

Last edited:
Hm, didn't expect this one to be about Flint, but it's always nice to see expanded backstories for canon characters. Love that you had him be married and genuinely care about his gym trainers. Gotta say, didn't expect that scene of Flint walking in on two of his gym trainers having sex. But you always were one to go against the grain, so I don't have any problem with it. Also didn't expect there to be another character named Nori here. I do wonder why Volkner seems to hate Flint so much? It's not like Flint was actively being mean to him or anything. Or maybe it's just jealousy on Volkner's part? People have been known to resent others over even preconceived or imagined offenses rather than anything on the other person's part. I'm also wondering what Sofie's deal is, if she's really just that mean and nihilistic, or if she has her reasons for being the way she is. Also, more GS beta Pokemon. You really seem to like those. Anyway, this was a good chapter. Can't wait to read the next part!

Hm, didn't expect this one to be about Flint, but it's always nice to see expanded backstories for canon characters. Love that you had him be married and genuinely care about his gym trainers.
Flint's not married, he just jokes about it with Hinata because everyone jokes about it. She has marital problems. It's all but spelled out she wishes she married Flint. He's unmarried but has had at least one partner - and blink and you'll miss it, but it's hinted how he found out Volkner wasn't interested in anyone was via asking and being turned down; contrast Flint suggested as bi

Gotta say, didn't expect that scene of Flint walking in on two of his gym trainers having sex. But you always were one to go against the grain, so I don't have any problem with it.
Well, Sofie isn't a Gym Trainer - she's to Flint what Nori is to Volkner. But same difference. I do idly wonder though, if there'd be workplace tension between Gym Trainers? But on their note, yes. They have a bigger variety and much healthier dynamic between themselves and with Flint than with Kallisto's crew.

Also didn't expect there to be another character named Nori here.
As I mentioned in the behind-the-scenes/notes, just had to reference @Nori . :p Even if Nori doesn't end up actually meeting Nori. I always do find the concept of running into someone with the same name as you (or basically the same name) a bit odd/amusing/confusion.

I do wonder why Volkner seems to hate Flint so much? It's not like Flint was actively being mean to him or anything. Or maybe it's just jealousy on Volkner's part? People have been known to resent others over even preconceived or imagined offenses rather than anything on the other person's part.
In due time. :) We haven't heard Volkner's side of things yet.

I'm also wondering what Sofie's deal is, if she's really just that mean and nihilistic, or if she has her reasons for being the way she is.
Well, you can contrast with her previous appearance in M3-4.

Also, more GS beta Pokemon. You really seem to like those.
Some really should've made it in! It's also a way to show there's more to the world than canon regions without making stuff up myself.[/QUOTE]

I read this yesterday but wanted to take some time before leaving a comment.

So, unsurprisingly Flint's Gym has strong elements of being a mirror to Volkner's; both have something of an "outsider" problem with their new official-in-training. However, the flipside is that Flint's Gym feels much more unified before Sofie came with a strong family vibe, while Sunnyshore is theoretically a circle of friends around Kallisto but has clear signs of disfunction underneath where Eddie and Tono particualarly seem to need someone to punch down at and Ollie joins in to avoid being the target.

Similarly, both come across as vaguely hands off, but while Volkner seemed to mostly be apathetic before his recent development Flint seems to have a better sense of when he needs to step in and stop things from going too far.

In other words it's not hard to see why Flint is the one who becomes an Elite Four member despite Flint's belief Volkner is a better trainer.

I read this yesterday but wanted to take some time before leaving a comment.
Bit of a different format from you too, heh.

So, unsurprisingly Flint's Gym has strong elements of being a mirror to Volkner's; both have something of an "outsider" problem with their new official-in-training. However, the flipside is that Flint's Gym feels much more unified before Sofie came with a strong family vibe, while Sunnyshore is theoretically a circle of friends around Kallisto but has clear signs of disfunction underneath where Eddie and Tono particualarly seem to need someone to punch down at and Ollie joins in to avoid being the target.
More or less! Compare and contrast too: a group of teenagers to a group aged 9, 12, 19, 27, and 50-60. The Gym Trainers at Sunyshore have their problems, but it's mostly personal life stuff and not to the detriment of others.

Similarly, both come across as vaguely hands off, but while Volkner seemed to mostly be apathetic before his recent development Flint seems to have a better sense of when he needs to step in and stop things from going too far.
This is also a contrast. Flint doesn't really need to do too much since his Gym is more peaceful - plus he shares some of the load with the other adults. And when he does in the argument at the meeting for example, he understands that sometimes you need to let things breathe rather than stepping in and stepping down right away.

In other words it's not hard to see why Flint is the one who becomes an Elite Four member despite Flint's belief Volkner is a better trainer.
You may be right. You may be wrong.

Aside, a detail neither of you two not(ic)ed about the '98 flashback scene...moderately important for getting a couple details about the next two chapters, so check it if you want:

G2-1 ~ Flint: "And is that any way to treat an old friend?" / Volkner: "We're not friends, we're rivals!"
M5-3 ~ Kallisto: "So that makes us rivals." / Nori: "We're enemies!"

G2-1 ~ Volkner: "I'm challenging you, right here. I'm crushing you and rubbing it in your face."
M5-8 ~ Nori: "I want to win this. I want to crush him and rub it in his face."

GAIDEN: May Your Flint Burn Bright (second part)
The biggest changes went to the "drowning" scene. Originally the-then Spike and friends directly caused it by forcing Nori to retrieve something. It didn't fit their new personalities or with Kallisto, so I had to come up with something else, even giving reasons why Eddie and Tono wouldn't help. I felt it was a bit shaky, but everything else around it worked much better. Month 5 got way bigger than I expected - hence splitting it up. I would've added more (say a chapter's worth) to January and February if I knew the scope would expand this much, though.

##########
=========
##########

GAIDEN: May Your Flint Burn Bright (second part)
May 13th, 2015

Flint called Alicia and Firuz in as Nori and Shinobu entered the arena, escorted by Kimmy. Heh, Nori Carino as ‘that other Nori.’ Only Sofie would say that about him. Flint figured the best way to differentiate them if needed was boy Nori and girl Nori. Speaking of Sofie though, she was right in behind the Gym Trainers. The ones present, anyhow. Hinata had taken the day off to deal with personal affairs, and Tai Ying was manning the front.

"Nice job making it through the puzzle!" Flint said, as his Gym Trainers stood in a line before him. "But now, it's time for the pretest! Before you face little 'ol me, the both of you are going to have a battle against one of these three fine young trainers!"

"I'm around a fine trainer every day," Shinobu joked, slapping Nori on the butt. The other girl nearly leaped onto the ceiling in surprise.

Kimmy tilted her head. "Miss Shinobu, why are your spanking your friend? Did she do something wrong?"

And that made the ninja-garbed teenage girl lock up. She wasn't sure how to explain her gesture to a nine-year-old.

The Gym could only laugh. "Might wanna tone that down while you're here, if that's all right." he chuckled, and added in a silly voice, "There's children here!"

"Yeah, good idea," she quickly and awkwardly conceded, much to the relief of her girlfriend.

"Alrighty then! So we have Firuz and Alicia here. And don't forget little Kimmy, heh. Real toughie for her age. So who wants to go first, and against who?"

Nori raised her hand. "Would it be possible for us to battle together?"

Flint smirked. "From how naturally you asked that, it sounds like you've been doing that a lot." He laughed as their reactions gave away it was fact. He even had a good idea of who agreed to it and who didn't. "Lemme guess, worked with Fantina and Byron, but not with Gardenia or Warutsu?"

"Yeah," Shinobu said. "We figured it's worth asking. Saves us and you some time."

"Well, sure you heard this one before, but the point of a Gym is to test your individual strengths! If you're into battling together, maybe you should consider entering one of the tag team competitions? Informal of course, but hey, everyone but the League respects'em."

Nori shrugged. "Like I said, I'm not that serious about battling."

"I getcha. But hey, I'm interested in seeing your teamwork. So here's what we'll do. You can qualify together, but you'll have to face me separate! Sound like a deal?"

"So just like we did on Byron!" Shinobu replied. Exactly as he expected, heh.

"Kimmy's still learning double battles, so you face Firuz and Alicia!" He motioned for Kimmy to sit down. "So step right up! Two trainers a side, and two Pokemon each!" He glanced over at his judge - Russell Leech, very nice guy, and married to the receptionist - who nodded and got to his position along with the trainers.

As they were doing so, Sofie walked over to the challengers. She gave Nori a good, long look.

"Um, can I help you?" Nori impatiently asked.

The punk teen harrumphed, turning and sitting on the stands without answering. Kimmy scooted up beside her, chattering away excitedly. She swiftly told the little girl to be quiet and watch.

The trainers were given two minutes to talk strategy. After this, the judge stepped forward for formalities. "This is a Snowpoint Gym qualifier battle, pitting Shinobu Maehama and Nori Masuda against Alicia Hardee and Firuz Orswell! Gym Trainers, send out your first Pokemon!"

Just as Flint was hoping, they both sent out their Darmanitan! But while Firuz' was a blazing red primate with fiery eyebrows, Alicia's was a frigid white one with gems encrusted in its body and a snowball on its head. Of course, it had a fire burning inside...

"Challengers, send out your first Pokemon!"

Nori sent out a pastiche of a Pika, a ghostly Pokemon with beady eyes on its lower body and a scribble of the most famous electric rodent on its guise. Shinobu's was a daring choice, a blue Pokemon with two ribbons billowing behind it, with a red mask-like face that had green stripes. It folded its hands behind its back as it emerged.

"An Accelgor!" Flint exclaimed. "Heh heh, have guts walking into a Fire Gym with a Bug! Can't wait to see what tricks you have up your sleeve!"

The judge waved his flags. "Let the battle begin!"

---​

The trick she had turned out to be not just Water Shuriken as he figured, but Mud Shot too! Crafty, as expected for a student of Iga! It was a fierce battle indeed. Nori's Mimikyu went down first, followed by Firuz' Darmanitan and then Accelgor - getting beaten by Alicia's Darmanitan as it became a burning snowman. Shinobu's second Pokemon was a Vaporeon! It quickly took down Alicia's Darmanitan, and it was down to one a side!

The four active combatants paused, hesitant and waiting for new orders from their trainers. The two girls had been taken off-guard by the appearance of Alicia's Tentacruel, not ready for a not-Fire type at all. Both sides had a Pokemon taking cover behind their partner. In Nori's case, it was a light brown and white wolf with sky-blue eyes. And for Firuz, it was a red ursid with puffy fur - like some sort of cross between an Ursaring and a Flareon to the unknowing - with black ears and a flame in its forehead. His starter Pokemon, Dyna the Dynabear!

The two teams swiftly whispered strategy to each other, but it was the challengers who struck first.

"Lycanroc, Accelrock!" shouted Nori. Well, she said the move wrong, but her Pokemon knew what she meant. The pet wolf's pet wolf crouched and charged for Tentacruel, shrouded in stony energies.

"Grab it!" said Alicia as a counter. Yet this was a feint! It powered through and continued toward Dyna, knocking the bear away.

"Vaporeon, Whirlpool!" Shinobu was right in behind. A swirling vortex of water formed around Dyna and was quickly soaked up by the sand. But this had the result of creating a muddy sinkhole! Woof, that can happen in this field.

"Dyna..." Firuz said, uncertain of what to do.

"I got your back!" his fellow Gym Trainer declared. "Pull him out, Tentacruel!"

Shinobu lowered her gaze, smirking. "Now Water Pulse!"

"And use Rock Slide, Lycanroc!"

Alicia was on-point. "Throw him!"

Everything happened quick! Tentacruel reached in and flung away Dynabear right as the attacks came. The Water Pulse missed entirely, leaving only her to be pummeled by the tumbling stones that Lycanroc made.

Vaporeon stepped back in horror, her trainer just as stunned. Wide open! Flint grinned and turned to Firuz, waiting the inevitable Thunder Fang.

...only it didn't come. Firuz was stumbling over his words in uncertainty. Giving their opponents time to recover.

"Firuz!" Alicia warned, but it was too late.

"Hydro Pump!" Shinobu's Vaporeon spewed a high-powered blast of water. "You're all washed up!" she fired off a punny one-liner with a wink.

Alicia's reaction was swift, coming as Dynabear was tumbling away. "Bubble Beam!"

Nori nodded. "Dodge and Bite, Lycanroc!"

The wolf tried, only to get caught at strange angles from the stream of bubbles. It proved too much, and just like that, its role in the battle was over.

Russell raised both flags. "Both Dyna and Lycanroc are unable to battle!"

A sort of double knockout! It was just one-on-one now, and Shinobu was already having her Pokemon advance to settle it. "It's all right, I got this!" she assured Nori. "Retaliate, Vaporeon!"

"Look out!" her trainer warned.

Tentacruel turned in time to avoid being struck from behind, but the blow fueled by the defeat of Nori's Lycanroc certainly left a mark! Alicia didn't seem too concerned.

"Giga Drain, Tentacruel!"

Shinobu stepped back. She was about to shout an order, but there was no escaping the tentacles at that range! Her Eeveelution got caught, ensared, and drained of energy by Alicia's Pokemon. Flint wanted to get up and tell her ‘way to go,’ but he didn't want to be disrespectful or jinx anything.

"We may need to risk trying that," Shinobu mused. "Vaporeon, use Synchronoise!"

Wow, you don't see that move every day. Like a siren from the depths, Vaporeon sang, vocal chords attuned just to the right frequency. Tentacruel shuddered as the soundwaves passed right through her body, yet Flint could tell from the damage being limited to some mild discomfort that move was unpracticed, if not only recently learned.

"Throw it, Tentacruel!"

She was able to execute this order, no sweat. Vaporeon halted its song as it was hurled away. Landed on its head, but not a real problem on sand. The two Pokemon got up and faced each other, as their trainers gave simultaneous orders.

"Sludge Wave!"

"Muddy Water!" Shinobu added an extra gesture.

The two moves crashed against each other. Flint had seen a lot of move struggles in his career, but this was the first time he'd seen one between two waves! No exploding to be had here like in fiction, though, thank the gods! It was an inconclusive duel, leaving only Tentacruel standing.

"It used Dig!" Alicia caught on without even needing to see the very obvious hole. "Jump!"

Tentacruel crouched and pushed up. Just in time too, as Vaporeon came up beneath. Right into her grasp!

"One more time! Giga Drain!"

Shinobu wavered. "Last Resort?" she asked with uncertainty. Much to her very visible and very blatant relief, her Pokemon got a warm golden glow. Right as the draining started, Vaporeon launched itself into the soft underbelly of Tentacruel. The mermaid-like fox scampered away, gasping for air as the blue and ruby squid collapsed.

"Tentacruel is unable to battle!" Russ announced. "Victory goes to the challengers, Shinobu Maehama and Nori Masuda!"

"We did it!" cried Shinobu, instantly giving Nori a huge lifting hug. The poor girl looked like she was clinging on for dear life rather than reciprocating. Flint always loved seeing happy couples come to his Gym!

He was quick to congratulate them. "Nice going! Heh, looking forward to facing you both in a couple days!" They seemed a little caught up in their celebration for the moment, so he eyed his Gym Trainers.

Firuz lowered his head. "Sorry for holding you down," he said to Alicia. "You would've won if you had a better partner."

Alicia reached up to pat his shoulder. "It's fine. Knowing that's enough for me, and I get why you're not in good shape."

"Thanks..." He looked over at Sofie, who was glaring.

"What?" Alicia impatiently asked. "Have a problem with us?"

"You did fine, I guess. And you need to get over yourself." She said this to Alicia and Firuz respectively, and turned her ire to the challengers. "But these two? Pathetic." She shook her head dismissively.

Nori pushed her girlfriend off her. She stared at Sofie, unamused by her comments. "Excuse me?" she asked, suddenly very cold.

"Beside celebrating like you've already won your badges?" She pointed at Shinobu. "You. Hitting niche moves from a lost position that you're uncertain you haven't fulfilled the requirements for doesn't make you a good trainer. It makes you lucky."

The heiress tailor ninja glanced away, awkwardly shuffling her feet. "Well, better to be lucky than good, as they say," she mumbled, not really denying it.

"Your luck's going to run out some day if you keep going the way you are. But more importantly, you." Sofie approached Nori. "That was one of the most pathetic displays I've seen from a challenger with that many badges. That's the real reason why you're double battling, isn't it? You're riding your girlfriend's ass to success."

The dark-haired girl stood her ground. "This is uncalled for."

"Yeah, I agree," Shinobu said, though a little taken aback by her girlfriend's sudden shift in demeanor.

"Blah, blah, blah." Sofie waved their retorts off. "If you fought any of us on your own, you wouldn't stand a chance. May even go for both of you."

"Don't forget," said Nori, opening her jacket. The Forest, Mine, Relic, and Desire Badges were pinned within. "I've won four badges, and I had to win most of those on my own. Not with Shinobu's help."

"You're not going to win many more that way." Sofie considered for a moment, then threw down the gauntlet. "I could take you on two on one and win."

Nori glared. "Then prove it," she lowly challenged.

"Yeah!" a fired-up Shinobu agreed.

"Get your Pokemon healed in the lobby, and I will."

Flint waved to them. "Feel free to use the field outside! It's what it's there for, after all!" He chuckled. Classic Sofie.

His Gym Trainers gathered before him with concern. "Flint, is this okay?" asked Alicia.

Kimmy agreed. "She was being really rude to those girls!"

"Eh, let her get it out of her system. Either she wins and hey, she's doing well on the training front!" He grinned. "Or she gets a reality check and looks silly after saying all she did just now! Between us? I think it could go either way, but if I could put money on this one, I'd say bet on black."

Sofie Shadden had some flaws in her own battle technique, but she was not to be underestimated! And attitude aside, she had some valid critique to give to those two.

"Mmmm..." Firuz was very conflicted.

"Gonna go cheer her on?" Flint asked.

"I guess..."

---​

Firuz was lost in thought. He was wandering, nearly instinctively following as they went outside.

"What are you tagging along for?"

He nearly jumped out of his skin as Sofie barked at him. "I'm...just going to watch you, Sofie." He wanted to think he still had a chance with her, but...he was starting to wonder that even if he did, was it worth it? Did he give himself up to someone who he shouldn't have? Maybe whatever happened here would help him sort through this...

"Okay, fine," she muttered, turning back to Tai Ying. "But what's your excuse?"

"I am here to keep things in order," came the stern reply.

Sofie paused, shaking her head. "If it makes you feel better about yourself."

Tai Ying seethed. Sofie was mercifully spared from his wrath when Nori Masuda spoke up. "Are we going to do this or not?" she impatiently asked.

"Of course," Sofie passively replied, taking her position. Harsh as she was, she looked so elegant when she was in battle. "Pick your best Pokemon, and I'll pick my best."

"That would be Vaporeon and Lycanroc," Shinobu declared. At once, they sent out the Pokemon they had used against him and Alicia.

"And here's mine! Shadeblade!"

"Just one?" asked Firuz, as Sofie's Absol materialized. A Pokemon with fur as white as snow, and body as black as night - including the scimitar-like blade on its head. "You're not going to just use Shadeblade, are you?"

Sofie waved a hand. "I told them, I'd take them both on, two on one, and win. And that's what I'm going to do."

Tai Ying was not impressed, scowling not only at Sofie, but at Firuz himself. The young man wavered. What should he do? No, he should follow his heart here. He stood beside Sofie. He wasn't going to be a part of this battle himself, but...he wanted to be here with her.

Nori Masuda scoffed. "You're overconfident."

"And you're about to learn your limits." Sofie pointed fiercely. "Thunderbolt, then Close Combat!"

---​

Flint went to his office after the match. He always recorded every challenger who qualified to battle him in his journal. He also noted that Firuz had been keeping track of it in his stead when he was away. Good to see!

There was a knock. "Come on in!" he said. And with that, Firuz himself walked in, accompanied by Tai Ying.

"Hey, guys! Thanks for keeping track of the challengers while I was gone, Firuz! Now I can say I still haven't missed recording a single one!" He chuckled, although their expressions remained forlorn and angered respectively. Could be any reason for it, of course, so he asked, "So? How'd it go?"

"Mr. Donaldson," Tai Ying started. He paused, tapping his chin and pulling at his tiny beard. After about ten seconds, he sighed heavily and said, "I'm submitting my resignation."

The Gym Leader nearly fell out of his chair. "Wait, hold on, what?!"

"It'll be on your desk by tomorrow morning."

"Wait, Tai Ying!" he shouted, but the elderly man was already out the door and headed down the stairs. Come to think of it, he should've known something was amiss as soon as he called him by his last name. He looked to his top Gym Trainer. "Firuz, what happened?!"

He nervously shuffled his feet. "Sofie beat them both...really badly. I thought I was watching an old Surge Gym match." No, it probably wasn't like that. Flint had a feeling who she was really trying to have her Pokemon emulate. Or more specifically, which Pokemon. "And after that, she mouthed off to them and Tai Ying."

"Where's Sofie?"

"She went back to her apartment. She didn't even say goodbye..."

"All right. Thanks, Firuz."

"No problem..."

Flint leaned back in his chair. He took a sip of his coffee, and peered down at the journal. Under May 13th. Shinobu Maehama and Nori Masuda, passed the puzzle and qualfied together in a double battle against Alicia and Firuz, 5:32pm. How had things gone so wrong, and so quickly?

##########​

May 14th, 2015

The next day was one of the hardest Flint had in a long while. He approached it with a smile, like he did every day. Yet it didn't change the fact that a cold, dark cloud was hanging over the normally warm Gym. Even the challengers who came in could tell something was amiss.

Word must've spread, or maybe she got told about it, but Kimmy knew before her parents dropped her off from school. The first thing she did was come and find him.

"What's going on, Mr. Donaldson?" the pre-tween girl asked. "Why is Mr. Huang leaving?"

"Personal reasons, Kimmy."

"But why?" she prodded. "He said it was cause of Sofie."

Flint shrugged. "They had a little disagreement."

"Is Sofie a bad person?"

"I don't think she is, but..."

"But?"

Flint winced. He knew he shouldn't have added that ‘but’ in there. "Well, even though she's a big girl, she still has some growing up to do."

"Oh." Downtrodden, the little blue-haired girl wandered off to ponder this.

That was the best way he could put it to her. This had to be hard on Kimmy. Here she was, young and innocent without a care but Pokemon and her friends, and now she was being exposed to the ugliness of the adult world. It was all Flint could do to keep her out of this. She didn't deserve that.

---​

"Can I ask you something, Flint?" Alicia came to speak with him a little later on in the day, right after a challenger had walked away with a shiny new badge. Flint still had it in him to work, even as his Gym Trainers weren't feeling it. Understandably so, of course.

Flint nodded. "Sure, Alicia. What's on your mind?"

"Why are you letting that bitch get away with all this?"

The Gym Leader flashed his palms. "Whoa! Language, Alicia!"

"That's what she is." She crossed her arms. "A bitch."

"Not going to argue with you putting it that way, but Kimmy could be around! Could choose a better word for it!" Alicia shut her eyes, nodding in apology. "Well, for your question, it's because she's my student!"

"And what about us?" she demanded. "Most of us are here to learn from you, too. Are you fine with letting her say and do whatever she wants, when we've been with you longer?" The dark-blue haired girl scowled. "Because that's why Tai Ying's leaving, you know."

"I know that. Realized it before you said it."

"Then do something about it already! She's starting to piss me off! Everything at the Gym was fine until she showed up."

That last part was exaggerating, but Flint had to admit, she'd been causing definite problems the past two months or so. "Heh, if you're this fired up, guess I should listen. I'll deal with it as best I can."

"Okay, just..." Alicia took a deep breath, doing her best to compose herself. "I hate seeing this, that's all. Hope you can understand."

Oh, how Flint understood. He hated seeing this just as much.

---​

It was Tai Ying's last day at Snowpoint Gym. He still came in to work, but spent most of the day getting his stuff cleaned out and saying his goodbyes. He had one final battle right before closing time, going out with a victory against a prospective challenger who came all the way from Unova. Alas, it came time to bid him farewell.

"So you're sure about this?" Flint asked. It was just after 9pm. The Gym was closed, and only a few remaining staff were around. Alicia and Kimmy had long since left. He didn't know where Firuz was, and HInata had taken the day off. It was simply the two of them in the lobby.

The elderly man nodded. "I am."

"And there's nothing I can say to change your mind?"

"I've made it up. It's her or me, and I know what your answer is."

So it was. He was assigned Sofie by the Officials to train her in the fine art of battling Pokemon, for when the time came where she would be a special operative in the International Police. If he gave up on her, it would mean giving up his dreams of being an Elite Four member. Among other potential consequences. It simply wasn't an option.

"I wish it didn't have to be like this," Flint said.

"It's your duty. I understand."

"All right." It was a relief that he understood this impasse they were at. "Thanks for getting it, and more importantly, for your years of service."

He stuck out his hand. Tai Ying accepted at once. However, the Mitsutri adherent did have some parting words for him.

"Flint. For love of the gods...no." He firmly shook his head. "For your sake and Sofie's, you need to put your foot down with her. If she doesn't shape up, she'll regret it. Perhaps fatally, far down the line."

The Gym Leader nodded. He could see that happening, scarily enough. "All right, I'll try. For real, this time."

With this, Tai Ying left the Gym as a member of its staff for the final time, giving Flint a lot to think about. He sat down on one of the chairs to think. He had been putting it off for too long, and it's what led to this situation. No more doing that.

"Hey."

Flint looked up to see Hinata had entered. He greeted her with a small wave, as she sat beside him.

"Sorry I haven't been around more the past few days," the steel-green haired woman said. "Looking like I'm about to go through a nasty divorce."

"Sorry to hear. Don't blame you," came his tired reply.

Hinata tilted her head. "Rare to see you this down."

"Should be obvious why."

"It is. Like you always say, she's a real handful." She glanced up at the ceiling. "On a different note. Flint, do you ever think you've ever missed your chance at something by making the wrong choice?"

A strange question to ask. "A couple times, yeah. But doesn't mean it's too late or you can't turn things around. As long as you're still up and fighting, you always have a chance."

Hinata smiled deeply. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Speaking of," he said, rising to his feet with a stretch. "Those words apply here too. I really need to have a serious talk with Sofie. For reals, this time."

His Gym Trainer and longtime friend nodded. "I passed her on my way in, you should be able to catch up with her. Sorry I can't be any more help."

"It's all right. Just take it easy, Hinata."

"Thanks, Flint," she said with a soft chuckle. "Don't know where I'd be without you sometimes."

He winked. "Back at ya." If there was one person in his life he could not imagine himself being without, it was Hinata Hanabusa - a hair's breadth ahead of Volkner for first place. "Just lemme know if you need time off. Lock up for me if you head out."

"Will do."

When he was sure he was out of earshot, Flint sighed heavily. He had to be strong for everyone right now, most of all himself. This whole time he had been hoping things would sort themselves out. With it now clear that was not happening, it was time to step in. Yet he had no idea how he was going to do so. If only he could turn to Volkner for help here...

---​

The Gym Leader managed to catch up with his student right as she left the parking lot. Best to do this as soon as possible, he figured.

"Sofie."

She turned on her heels and sneered. "What?"

Flint took a deep breath. He was never good at this sort of thing. How to word it? "We need to talk about how you've been treating the Gym Trainers and challengers as of late."

"Look," she countered. "Your job is to teach me how to battle, isn't that right?"

"I mean, it sure is, but–"

"And you've been doing that, and I appreciate the help." She nodded. "I'm not here to learn manners, I'm here to learn how to fight. And you've been training me and my Pokemon well, as far as I see it."

She wasn't wrong. That's what made this so hard. What was he supposed to say to her? You need to change who you are? No one wants to be told the kind of person they have to be. Sure, you can give them a little nudge, point them in the right direction. But what are you supposed to do about those rare few who need to seriously reassess the kind of person they are?

Right as she turned around, Flint spoke up again. "Then let's fight."

"What?"

"Let's have a battle! Four-on-four!" He clapped his hands, pressing them together. "How does that sound?"

Sofie sighed. "If it'll make you happy." She glanced to the side. "Let's use the outdoor one."

"Heh heh. A night battle sounds good me."

She agreed to it, great! It was a little something he learned from Volkner. The best way to get to know someone is in a Pokemon battle. It was a way for trainers to express things without words. And he was a little bit concerned about her battling, anyway. He only hoped this worked.

"Um."

A voice came from his right. Firuz.

"Can I...watch?" He nervously pressed two fingers together.

Sofie's stride had not been broken by the appearance of her one-time partner, but she did hear him. "Knock yourself out," she replied. "Still not going out with you though."

"Oh..."

So it was settled! They made their way to the training area behind the Gym. They held Gym Battles and qualifiers here sometimes, but it was mostly for the Gym Trainers and guests to practice on. Alicia liked it in particular. She had two Ice-types, after all.

They took their positions. Firuz watched from one of the benches. Near the middle, but closer to Sofie's side. "Well, since I know what you'll be using, I guess I should tell you what I am." Another trick he owed to Volkner. This should let her plan out her strategy in her head, so he'd get nothing but her best! He retrieved four balls from his belt, counting them off one by one.

"Vanara!" His formal starter after Gneiss and his ace Fire type. "Nordstern!" His beloved Drifblim and a key member of his team on his journey back in the day. "Fukufuji!" A lost Snorunt he met near the temple, now a happy Glalie. "And...!"

He spun and gave the fourth ball a toss. Out came a little electric mouse. Easy to confuse with a Pichu variant to an undiscerning eye, but this Pika had red cheeks and a cross-shaped tail. A friend he caught in Hoenn with his brother, who he gave to his good friend he named this one after. "Voltenz!" he announced his Pokemon's entrance. "Let's light a fire!"

"The fucking Plusle?" Sofie remarked. He'd considered giving Coco her maiden battle, but decided it was best to save that for later. Sofie considered her choice of lead Pokemon. "Baubgoblin, you're in." He loved that nickname, punny and creative. A dark violet gremlin with gems in his body and two diamond-like eyes!

Firuz tentatively stood. He glanced over at Flint, who shrugged and motioned for him to sit down. "Well, I guess we don't need a judge for this," said the Gym Leader. "Let's just get this show on the road!"

---​

"Finish it with Shadow Claw!"

"Thunderbolt, Voltenz!"

They had come to the end of a hard-fought match! To his delight, Sofie hadn't been slacking in her training. Her Sableye may have been her newest Pokemon, but he was still a match for Voltenz! But not enough of one! As the specter was charging in for a swipe, he was finished off by a blast of electricity!

"Three to four! Heh heh."

"Hmph." Sofie crossed her arms.

He had to admit, this was confirming things. He voiced his concerns. "I noticed you're not having him take advantage of his ability."

"What?"

"Keen Eye! You used to have Baubgoblin, and man I love that name by the way, spread around his Night Shade before attacking."

Sofie dismissed this. "First, that doesn't win me fights. And not like it'll matter once he evolves."

"True, true." He couldn't argue with that logic. It was a true, blue evolution with a big reflector shield! Too bad it didn't have Prankster to keep.

"Iceclaw, go! Ice Shard!"

In one motion, she recalled her Pokemon and sent in another. The Sneasel emerged and hurled a high-speed chunk of frozen water at his little mouse. It smacked him upside the head.

"Whoa there! Nasty crit!" Better swap him! "Voltenz, get up and use Baton Pass!"

"Too late. Ice Shard again!" As the little Pika was moving to switch out, he was struck again. And this indeed did it. Sofie devilishly smirked. "Three to three."

"Nicely done." Aggression works sometimes, he supposed. "Well Voltenz, you did your best, now take a rest! Heh heh." Sofie cringed at his rhyming skills, and even Firuz shuffled uncomfortably. Well, not that it mattered. "Now face the mask of cold black ice with a white hot core, Fukufuji!"

---​

The black weasel was no match for the Glalie. They actually did try to use speed to their advantage, but far too often they ended up running right into their ranged moves. And they weren't ready for their Hidden Power - when he said there was a hot core inside Fukifuji, he really wasn't kidding - nor their Gyro Ball attack at the very end.

"Two to three!" he declared. "Hoo, had me on the ropes a few times there. I'm just surprised you didn't Taunt me to stop Protect!"

"Return, Iceclaw! Hellbiter, go!" The Pokemon he gave to her to train! And hey, fun fact! It was his Houndoom's daughter! Good 'ol Inugami. It's why he wasn't using her here. "Flamethrower!"

More importantly, another attack right out of the gate! "Ready for you this time! Protect!"

The veil went up, and as was normal for when it wasn't being used repeatedly, it blocked the attack unfailingly. Sofie sneered. "That's not going to save you forever! Flamethrower again!"

---​

True, true. It was very true. The match lasted a while longer and they landed an Icy Wind, but they were ultimately done in by an Inferno. So out next was his fancy Drifblim. Nothing like Fantina's Loony of course, but then again, what Drifblim was?

Sofie took the fight seriously, to her credit! Even avoided using Fire moves just to be sure! But in the end, the type advantage couldn't overcome the skill, power, and aerial advantages.

"One to two!" he announced as the final Acrobatics ended it.

Is that really necessary?!" his student interrupted.

"I guess not." Flint shrugged. "Well, one thing–"

"Save it for when it's over. Shadeblade!"

Sofie sent out her last Pokemon. The harbinger itself, her longtime partner, the Pokemon she fought off that street gang with, and her ace! It was down to the wire.

---​

They had been trading victories so far, but Nordstern wasn't going down that easy! Their opponents been putting up a tough fight, that said. They were even using the Thunderbolt move she learned a couple months ago to perfection now. Of course one way or another she was headed for defeat, and everyone knew it. But Sofie was going down swinging.

"Swords Dance, Shadeblade!" Evidently prepping for a big attack to at least finish off his Drifblim. Her Pokemon began whipping his horn about, building himself up!

Flint chuckled. Had she forgotten something, or simply hoping it wouldn't come to pass? "Then add another to your Stockpile, Nordstern!" His own Pokemon focused, pressing spectral energy against his topside.

Sofie pointed. "It's now or never! Shadeblade, use Night Slash and aim for a critical hit!"

And a critical she might be able to get, with that Super Luck of theirs! But he and Nordstern were both ready for this! The hot air balloon glanced back, like reading his mind. "Right in front of yourself, buddy!"

His Pokemon spewed a cloud of Clear Smog directly forward. Shadeblade passed through it en route to poking Nordstern right on his bandage.

"Heh heh. Nice shot, but!!" His Pokemon was still hanging in there. Barely floating! Yet still ready for more, thanks to the move expunging the stat changes.

"Clever strategy," she muttered.

"Here's some more for you! Use Will-O-Wisp on yourself!"

The smart play would've been Baton Passing to Vanara to end it safely, but battling was all about having fun! The next attack they landed on Shadeblade would end this anyway! May as well go out in a blaze of glory!

Sofie narrowed her eyes as Nordstern spewed a ghostly violet flame and directed it towards himself. His eyes lit up, and he started hovering with more vigor. "What are you playing at? Shadow Claw, and make it count."

"Float away, Nordstern!" He chuckled as Shadeblade completely whiffed on his attack. "Not using Aerial Ace to win for sure, or are you just playing around?"

"Fine! Aerial Ace!"

Just as he expected, unfortunately. "Silver Wind!"

The Bug-type breeze intercepted Shadeblade as he was making his cut. He was blown to the ground, struggling to get to his feet. But he fell right back down. And so did Nordstern as the burn sapped what little energy remained in his spectral body! It was a double knockout, but with one Pokemon left on his belt, that made him the victor!

"Looks like I win!" he declared, turning his attention to his Pokemon. "Sorry about that, Nordstern. We'll go inside and get you healed up right away!" he told Nordstern as he recalled him.

"Yes, you did. You're stronger than me," his student replied as she returned Shadeblade, humble yet impatient at the same time. "What was the point of this, feeling better about yourself?"

It was time to get to exactly that. "Sofie, do you understand why it is you lost?"

"I just said why!" she snapped.

Flint wagged a finger. "Battling isn't all about levels and power. Strategy and compassion are just as important!"

She rolled her eyes at this motion. "Sure, compassion. As if that does anything but affect the power of Return. It's not like I treat my Pokemon like tools."

"That isn't what I meant. Got no problem with how you treat your Pokemon, but it's how you battle!"

Sofie leered. "Didn't you tell me a month back that everyone fights their own way?"

"Well, yes, but–"

"This is how I battle. No mercy. I don't expect to get any, least of all from criminals, so I'm not giving any." She recalled her Absol with a sigh. "Thanks for the battle. Showed me how far I have to go, and broke up a bit of the boredom."

"All right, I'll respect that. And you're welcome!" Having all of her Pokemon try to fight like the Demon Nidorina might not be smart or work for everyone, but if that's how she wanted to battle, that's how it had to be. For now, until she sees that doesn't always work. "Just think about how you're treating others, all right?"

"Fine, whatever. I'll rein it in from now on. See you tomorrow."

And she was off. Well, it was worth a shot. He tried it Volkner's way, and it got further than it did his way. But it accomplished the main goal, at least. With this said, Flint turned his attention back to his Gym Trainer. Firuz unsteadily stood and hobbled over.

"Do you think she will, Flint?" he asked.

"Anyone can change!" He clapped his hands. Firuz didn't seem convinced. Hey, may as well tell the truth. "But leveling with you, with her? We can only hope."

Firuz sighed. "What's going to happen next...?"

"Let's just take it day by day, Firuz. You need some time off?"

"A little would be nice..."

"Then take the next two days off. Go and clear your head of this."

He vaguely smiled. "Thanks, Flint."

As his student and what he would consider his top Gym Trainer left, Flint let his worries out in the form of a concerned groan. He had been trying to smile, trying to stay positive and encouraging. But the fact of the matter was, he wasn't sure what else he could do.

He went back into the Gym and fixed himself a nice, hot mug of black coffee. He took a long sip, savoring its bitter depths. Flint had always been a positive kind of guy. Despite what people thought, he was never hiding behind his smiles. That is, until today.

Sofie was good the first few months she was here. Serious and snarky, yet passionate with a fiery sense of justice. But she'd been slowly changing for the worse, and the Gym Leader wasn't sure why. She'd driven away one of his Gym Trainers, broke another one's heart, made a third angry, and no doubt she was going to find a way to get on Kimmy and Hinata's bad sides. He'd been giving her support, been as helpful as could be, and approached it all with a smile. She'd never been unappreciative of him, yet they'd never truly connected. Was that what she was looking for? And if so, what would it take to do so?

Boredom. That's what she said. Was she not being challenged enough? Or was there not much for her to do around town? What could he do for her? He had no clue.

He'd heard the news of what'd been happening down in Sunyshore. Volkner's own student had his share of problems, and far worse than Sofie's would ever be! Plus it seemed he and Volkner didn't get along at all! Nori Carino's natural cheerful attitude be a better fit for him, and vice versa for Sofie's usual seriousness. No doubt this irony was on purpose. But as for their competition? Advantage, Volkner Denzi.

His friend might not see it, and he might not acknowledge it. But both Volkner and Nori had the inner strength needed to persevere and succeed. And as for himself and Sofie...

##########
=========
##########

Dynabear is another GS beta Pokemon. And yes I did just subtly turn a mega into a proper evolution, the way many of them should've be. Worst feature. Call me a heretic if you want.

And two small details: did you notice Lux gets a mention every single chapter except M5-3 (where Nori isn't a viewpoint character)? He absolutely has not forgotten about his friend. And second...well. It gets pointed out directly later, but no one has noticed it yet: there's something subtle that changed at some point in the way Kallisto talks to Nori.

Act 3 begins next time! And yes, those last lines are promising a happy ending, no matter how bleak things have gotten at times (or continue to get). The thought occurred to me this is pretty much a darkfic, just without the usual things seen in one.

Last edited:
Dynabear is another GS beta Pokemon. And yes I did just subtly turn a mega into a proper evolution, the way many of them should've be. Worst feature. Call me a heretic if you want.
I'm so sick and tired of mega evolutions because people wouldn't shut up about how it's going to come back in later gens even though it's not. I honestly don't want mega evolutions back because it's a gen 6 thing and that's the way it should be. I have mixed opinions on megas and I just prefer other gimmicks than megas.

Also, it was a fine, but short chapter and the previous chapter was cute, especially the patty cake scene. I loved it when trainers and pokemon interact with each other when they're not doing battles. It's fun.

I liked Dynabear. I can't wait to see Cottonmew and the fire seal in action, since it's one of my favorite beta pokemon so far. A grass type cat is a very unique concept since almost all the cat pokemon are normal or sometimes dark types.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

I'm so sick and tired of mega evolutions because people wouldn't shut up about how it's going to come back in later gens even though it's not. I honestly don't want mega evolutions back because it's a gen 6 thing and that's the way it should be. I have mixed opinions on megas and I just prefer other gimmicks than megas.
Oh I could rant on and on about all the reasons I personally dislike megas. :p The biggest reason though being what I said, many could've been regular evolutions - including Sableye's alluded to here. You can make the case for three-stage lines, but to me at least it's kind of frustrating for some of them seeing them get anchored down by it.

Also, it was a fine, but short chapter and the previous chapter was cute, especially the patty cake scene. I loved it when trainers and pokemon interact with each other when they're not doing battles. It's fun.
Short? This was actually falls on the longer end of the spectrum. Not one of the longest - and actually going strictly by word count, the previous one gets that honor - but it's longer than anything in Month 5. And yes, that was a scene all right. Not sure where I got the idea from...

I liked Dynabear. I can't wait to see Cottonmew and the fire seal in action, since it's one of my favorite beta pokemon so far. A grass type cat is a very unique concept since almost all the cat pokemon are normal or sometimes dark types.
Dynabear is nice - and the whole Ursaring comparison is a reference to the leaked scrapsheets where a Honoguma with traits of Teddiursa was shown. Bomb seal is also nice, just having trouble namecrafting that one. As for "Cottonmew" I'd actually be writing that in as a Jumpluff regional variant.

Short? This was actually falls on the longer end of the spectrum. Not one of the longest - and actually going strictly by word count, the previous one gets that honor - but it's longer than anything in Month 5. And yes, that was a scene all right. Not sure where I got the idea from...
My mistake. I should've checked and reread the latest chapter before posting this comment.

Dynabear is nice - and the whole Ursaring comparison is a reference to the leaked scrapsheets where a Honoguma with traits of Teddiursa was shown. Bomb seal is also nice, just having trouble namecrafting that one. As for "Cottonmew" I'd actually be writing that in as a Jumpluff regional variant.
Cool. I was just thinking of regional variant Jumpluff to be Cottonmew (or least an inspiration for it). Aside from that, I also thought of a helicopter seed regional variant Jumpluff and it was part Steel type.

I have a lot of catching up to do lol. I'm sorry for doing these reviews one chapter at a time. I have focus issues.
The boy looked at the digital clock in his room. 7:53am.
Earlier than he usually woke up, but close enough that he didn't mind pulling himself out of bed and getting ready for the day.
Ha! You fool! I have to get up at 7:30, but I get up at 7:00!
Green was his favorite color.
I don't know why, but I just really like how you added this detail.
but there were had bread, chips, cookies, crackers, granola bars, and even chocolate available.
I think the "had" might be a typo.
which were delivered to the Gym regularly from a small regional chain that was for the most part local.
I would put a comma after "was" and a comma after "part".
He mixed a bit of cinnamon in with the oatmeal and sat down as it started to heat up.
Wow, we have our oatmeal almost the same way.
The large one laughed heartily. Nori cringed. He was missing a tooth. "Well you are a kid, little kid."
"And you're fat!" he fired back.
I didn't realize these characters were in elementary school until much later than I should have realized, but when I found out, I was able to excuse their lack of creativity with insults. (I was going to make a joke about how I was taller than one of the characters, but then I realized that I was taller because they were far younger than me, and I didn't want to bully children).
"All right, that's enough," Volkner interrupted.
The idea of Volkner chaperoning/teaching a bunch of elementary students is a very good image, and it's certainly something he would eventually get stuck doing.
The Gym Leader grumbled. "Great. There go my plans." He paced around for a few seconds before speaking up. "Just prep the Gym for the Monday reopening." He eyed Nori. "You help too."
Quick question, how much time do Gyms get off for winter break? I know in America, at least, some places have one week off, while others (particularly ones with a higher population of Catholics) get two weeks off.
"Cut the formalities," the dark-skinned teen said, nearly swatting his hand away. "Edward Hankstein. Everyone calls me Eddie, though. Second best Gym Trainer here."

"Tono Takuma," spoke the well-dressed one. He punctuated it with half a bow.

The large one marched up. Nori could see the irritation in his blue eyes, but didn't concede even a centimeter. "I'm Ollie Gooch, kid, and you better show some respect!"
So I know Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are all based on Japan, but for me, at least, I headcanon them each having populations of immigrants (example: Hoenn has a lot of PokéIrish/Galarian/PokéKorean/Kalosian immigrants, in addition to Sootopolitans—who came from the PokéMediterranean in ancient times, hence why I give Sootopolitan characters Greek last names—Sinnoh has a lot of Kalosian/PokéRussian immigrants, etc.), and judging by some of these character's last names (Kervanos is Greek, I think, the name element "stein" is German, and Carino is Italian? Spanish? Portuguese? Behind the Name says it's all of those), I'm guessing there's a similar thing going on with this story. Out of curiosity, what are your headcanons about those things?
Nori would be attending West Sunyshore Elementary.
This is when I found out they were elementary students.
They weren't ubiquitous; most were in downtown or around other major locations, and not all of them were open to the public.
Oooooooooh
Heard the Scrafty Bastards are gonna be makin' an appearance at the V in half an hour
This is definitely the kind of band that edgy elementary/middle schoolers in Pokémon would listen to.
"Nori Carino. Veilstone native, but I moved here to study."

Spike's mouth fell into an O-shape. "Whoa, THE Nori Carino?"

Nori grinned. Looks like his reputation had preceded him. "Yup," he confirmed. While he'd have liked to chat a bit more with this guy, he had to get going. "Anyway, catch you later."

"Cool. Peace, man."

Spike held out a fist which Nori bumped with his own, before they continued on their separate ways.
Nori is a cool kid :cool:
A few Paralyze Heals too
there should be a comma after "Heals"
the "e" should have an accent.
"Pincurchin!?" Eddie gasped. It got Ollie's attention too. Even Volkner seemed taken aback at this strange choice of Pokemon.
Hey, it's one of the bean Pokémon.
It curiously had a weird blue can of something tied to its body.
I'm guessing this is an item.
Immediately after Volkner said this, a wave of electricity came from Pincurchin and enveloped the entire battlefield!
I love the use of the exclamation point.
Tono's eyes went as wide as Voltorbs.
Ah, the Pokémon equivalent of "her orbs widened".
In all seriousness, this is a creative spin on the expression "eyes grew big as saucers".
Did he pick this Pokemon to deter melee attacks with its prickly body? Is that what he meant by defense? Well if so, it completely didn't matter!
Uh oh, did Tono try to fake it 'til he could make it?
Except it didn't. She hit with the attack, but all it did was make their foe flinch a bit and bounce it back. "Hahahahaha!" Eddie pointed tauntingly. "Zap Cannon!"
The dialogue should be a separate paragraph.
"A critical hit?" Eddie seethed. "Are you fucking kidding me?!"
You know things are serious when Eddie goes from saying "friggin'" to "fucking".
Volkner eyed the door. "Probably." He turned his gaze away. At that moment, it opened.
Very cinematic in an anime sort of way.
A handsome young man with perfectly tanned skin stepped into the arena. He stood at well over 180cm, and was wearing a blue jumper with golden yellow arms and middle, matching warm pants, a white snow hat, and a long orange scarf. The coat was open; he was wearing a v-neck shirt beneath it. Nori could tell he was well-toned just from seeing that much. His hair reached to his shoulders, and was mostly dark orange save for the pink streaks at the tips. He blinked at Nori in confusion. One eye was blue, one eye was purple.
Woah. This cool dude must be Kallisto.
"Sure am." Kallisto took a black and green Poke Ball off his belt. He gave it a light kiss. "This stage is yours, Raitora."
I like it when trainers kiss their Pokéballs. It's a good way to build character.
"Relax, Eddie," Kallisto lightly scolded, holding up a hand. His fellow Gym Trainer huffed, but nodded. The fit teen turned to explain. "Raitora, evolved form of Kotora. It's uncommon. Japan-native, but it's not usually found in any of the four major regions. He's my best partner."
Ohhhh a Fakémon (Don't worry; I read the author's note about Raitora. I'm bad at visualizing Fakémon in prose fanfics, but the sprite at the end and the author's note helped. BTW, I like how you referenced beta Pokémon sprites).
That made sense. So far in his school geography classes, he'd learned about Sinnoh, Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn. There was more to the country than just those, though. They'd learned about some common Pokemon in those regions, so no wonder he didn't know about this. It certainly did exist though, since it was here!
Oooh I wonder what prefecture Raitora's region is based on. Also shoutout to expanding Pokémon countries.
"Okay Raitora, SWIFT BOLT!"
Ooooooh Fakémoves.
The Demon was beaten? Just like it was nothing? They always beat whoever challenged them. They always won, even if they gave them a good fight. But they lost. More to the point, they lost so easily. He wasn't expecting their first loss to be this bad.
Nori having a Worf Effect moment.
"Just like that! Suck it!" said Ollie, as if he was the one who won.

Tono agreed. "That's our Kallisto. Far better than you ever will be."

"What'd I tell you?" said Eddie. "You're nothing, kid."
If I was Nori, I'd probably tell these kids to shut up because it's not like they won. Or maybe I'm too nice to do that.

Usually, I skim over battles in Pokémon fanfiction (I'm bad at focusing on them), but the one in this chapter was pretty engaging. The progression of difficulty helped.

I have a lot of catching up to do lol. I'm sorry for doing these reviews one chapter at a time. I have focus issues.
Slow and steady! Though the real message of the Tortoise and the Hare that got bastardized is don't slack

Typo stuff; some of it is style choice. I never accent the E, too much effort on a laptop. :p Good old ALT+0137 (or was it 0130?) though. I'll get around to fixing some of the genuine stuff, though. Got a good eye for this sort of thing.

I don't know why, but I just really like how you added this detail.
Little details help build character.

Wow, we have our oatmeal almost the same way.
Flavoring is a nice way to give plain oatmeal a kick. Especially when you grow up poor and have nothing else.

I didn't realize these characters were in elementary school until much later than I should have realized, but when I found out, I was able to excuse their lack of creativity with insults. (I was going to make a joke about how I was taller than one of the characters, but then I realized that I was taller because they were far younger than me, and I didn't want to bully children).
Actually, only Nori is in elementary. Eddie and Ollie are in Grade 9, and Tono and Kallisto are in Grade 11 - and because this uses the Japanese school system, they go up a year in between. Ollie is just awful when it comes to insults. Edgy teenagers who try too hard, you know?

Quick question, how much time do Gyms get off for winter break? I know in America, at least, some places have one week off, while others (particularly ones with a higher population of Catholics) get two weeks off.
Eh, not a big detail to spoil: Volkner's Gym was off from December 21st to then. However, others take different times off. It all depends on the Gym, but Golden Week is one that's forced nationwide.

So I know Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are all based on Japan, but for me, at least, I headcanon them each having populations of immigrants (example: Hoenn has a lot of PokéIrish/Galarian/PokéKorean/Kalosian immigrants, in addition to Sootopolitans—who came from the PokéMediterranean in ancient times, hence why I give Sootopolitan characters Greek last names—Sinnoh has a lot of Kalosian/PokéRussian immigrants, etc.), and judging by some of these character's last names (Kervanos is Greek, I think, the name element "stein" is German, and Carino is Italian? Spanish? Portuguese? Behind the Name says it's all of those), I'm guessing there's a similar thing going on with this story. Out of curiosity, what are your headcanons about those things?
Yes, there's immigrants abound, mostly so not everyone is Japanese - and because there'd be a ton of clashing with English canon names otherwise (or using the Japanese names everywhere, which would be confusing for a ton of people). I don't really give too much thought into nationalities because of it, I use whatever fits. But there is thoughtful choice that occasionally does hint at things: like the -stein from Eddie is implying a bit of Jewish in him.

This is definitely the kind of band that edgy elementary/middle schoolers in Pokémon would listen to.
Pretty much.

Hey, it's one of the bean Pokémon.
They don't see enough use in fanfics, it's mostly the anthros or the animal-like ones. I know some people say they're hard to write...I say they're not writing hard enough. ;)

I'm guessing this is an item.
Terrain Extender, specifically.

Ah, the Pokémon equivalent of "her orbs widened".
In all seriousness, this is a creative spin on the expression "eyes grew big as saucers".
I don't Poke-fy things and saying too often, but when I think of a good one that works, I go with it.

Uh oh, did Tono try to fake it 'til he could make it?
He outsmarted himself

Very cinematic in an anime sort of way.
Woah. This cool dude must be Kallisto.
Very anime appearance, too.

Ohhhh a Fakémon (Don't worry; I read the author's note about Raitora. I'm bad at visualizing Fakémon in prose fanfics, but the sprite at the end and the author's note helped. BTW, I like how you referenced beta Pokémon sprites).
Yup.

Oooh I wonder what prefecture Raitora's region is based on. Also shoutout to expanding Pokémon countries.[/quote]
Not any of the main four. Probably wherever it is in the demo data, if it's there at all. Haven't looked. That said, it's in the region between Hoenn and Johto that goes unnamed to be evasive.

Nori having a Worf Effect moment.
More like finding out there's always a bigger fish.

If I was Nori, I'd probably tell these kids to shut up because it's not like they won. Or maybe I'm too nice to do that.
He probably would've, if he wasn't too stunned by how badly he lost.

Usually, I skim over battles in Pokémon fanfiction (I'm bad at focusing on them), but the one in this chapter was pretty engaging. The progression of difficulty helped.
There's plenty of battles in this fanfic. That said, many of the longer ones have actual plot and character development happen in them. This one here for example: establish the Demon, establish the Gym Trainers, following show don't tell. I keep the ones of lesser importance brief.

Slow and steady! Though the real message of the Tortoise and the Hare that got bastardized is don't slack
Thank you! Finally someone who understands the Tortoise and the Hare!
Typo stuff; some of it is style choice. I never accent the E, too much effort on a laptop. :p Good old ALT+0137 (or was it 0130?) though. I'll get around to fixing some of the genuine stuff, though. Got a good eye for this sort of thing.
Ah, I get it. I have a computer that lets me do accents, though when I have to use one that doesn't, I switch my keyboard settings to the International Keyboard. I can't remember the ALT's.
Actually, only Nori is in elementary. Eddie and Ollie are in Grade 9, and Tono and Kallisto are in Grade 11 - and because this uses the Japanese school system, they go up a year in between. Ollie is just awful when it comes to insults. Edgy teenagers who try too hard, you know?
Edgy teenagers try way too hard sometimes. I once knew an edgelord kid in middle school who said some uh... disturbing things about me, but they weren't even rooted in truth, it was just a "wow I said an edgy thing about you" sort of thing.
Yes, there's immigrants abound, mostly so not everyone is Japanese - and because there'd be a ton of clashing with English canon names otherwise (or using the Japanese names everywhere, which would be confusing for a ton of people). I don't really give too much thought into nationalities because of it, I use whatever fits. But there is thoughtful choice that occasionally does hint at things: like the -stein from Eddie is implying a bit of Jewish in him.
I also give a lot of thought into giving surnames to characters, including canon ones without canon surnames.
Terrain Extender, specifically.
Ahhhhhhh I see.

Back
Top Bottom