• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Not a copyright violation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even chartfag says it's fake, so your argument is kind of dead in the water.

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=71380

In order to be illegal, it must either result in monetary gain for the infringers or impede the ability of the copyright holder to sell their work; this does neither.

Not true; they're using Nintendo's IP for personal gain. I couldn't make a free Pokemon game and distribute it even if I wanted to. It's benefiting me (although not in a fiscal sense).

What did the link even link to? (Don't post the link itself, just describe it.)

Pokespeanime (a fan-made anime of Pokémon Special)

Not true; they're using Nintendo's IP for personal gain. I couldn't make a free Pokemon game and distribute it even if I wanted to. It's benefiting me (although not in a fiscal sense).

And do you think those idiotic, undemocratic, authoritarian corporatist copyright (more like copywrong) laws will get repealed if everyone acts like impassive sheep instead of doing something? The DMCA is the single worst catastrophe to ever befall America! Copyright will lead to the stagnation of progress and the downfall of democracy itself.

It links to a forum thread containing links to 2 youtube videos, a thread on this forum about an online 'animé' of Pokémon Special and another forum where people discuss the animé and suggest ideas to the people making it. It's basically just a fanflash on youtube where people are putting effort into it.

Also, I recieved a warning for linking to illegal downloads, where their are no downloads I've linked too. I'd understand if it were copyright infringement, since this seems to be what's being argued about, but the download thing confused me, to the point of replying to Kasumi with the intent of clarification.

Last edited:
ismore than ten percent of it the Pokemon companies original work. i doubt it but it will contain copyrighted images and names (ie, those of pokemon).

ismore than ten percent of it the Pokemon companies original work. i doubt it but it will contain copyrighted images and names (ie, those of pokemon).

Where does a 10% threshold come from? Or did you just make that up?

And do you think those idiotic, undemocratic, authoritarian corporatist copyright (more like copywrong) laws will get repealed if everyone acts like impassive sheep instead of doing something? The DMCA is the single worst catastrophe to ever befall America! Copyright will lead to the stagnation of progress and the downfall of democracy itself.

Your first post said that this wasn't a copyright violation, but in this post, you recognize that it is.

It doesn't matter if you think the law is just or unjust. Bulbagarden is not going to permit discussion of the subject, because it's against the law. Period. If the law is changed, our rules might change. Until then, they won't.

[/thread]

Shiny Noctowl, I myself am a member of the Pirate Party. I very much believe that current copyright laws have significant problems, and do need to be changed.

That being said, I am also a believer in the rule of law. While the laws need to be changed, going out of ones way to violate them, regardless of how unjust you may feel they are, is not going to achieve anything worthwhile.

For the record, I think your position probably goes a lot further than mine, as well. From my view, there are good reasons for the existence of copyright in some form or another, just not the form it currently takes, though a lot could be fixed just by changing the length of copyright.

But more to the point, I think copyright is essential on some level for all artists, not just big corporations. If I write a story and get it published--let's call it Barry Motter, about a boy wizard--and it become super-famous, I don't want someone else to publish and distribute a free book about Barry Motter. Because even if it's free, they're altering/impacting/etc. my product and, potentially, my reputation.

The notion of intellectual property is essential to a functioning advanced society. Is it extreme in some cases? Oh yes, certainly. But not in this one. It's illegal and the position of Bulbagarden that it's morally wrong to create RPGs/clones/other "copycat" or imitation games revolving around Pokemon IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom