• If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Not Understood Pokémon

Favorite flavor of cheese? Purple.
Reaction score
This is not a thread for misunderstood Pokémon, like Drowzee(it just wants some of that dream juice!) but for Pokémon you just don’t understand the idea behind. Feel free to help someone realize what the design idea behind a Pokémon is.

For example, I don’t have any idea of what Rotom is supposed to be. Is it a ghost?

Reaction score
For example, I don’t have any idea of what Rotom is supposed to be. Is it a ghost?
A mix between a poltergeist and a gremlin (not the movie ones, the others).

What are base gligar and glisgar?
Literal flying scorpions*, like how Flygon is a literal dragonfly.

*There's actually a bug named that, although it's a fly, thankfully.

Reaction score
I understand the Mechagodzilla reference as well as the nod to duralumin, but Duraludon is also clearly based on some quite specific piece of technology and I can't for the life of me figure it out. My instinct is that it's some kind of industrial smelting kit, but it could literally just be a cigarette lighter.

Favorite flavor of cheese? Purple.
Reaction score
Duraludon is also clearly based on some quite specific piece of technology and I can't for the life of me figure it out. My instinct is that it's some kind of industrial smelting kit, but it could literally just be a cigarette lighter.
A skyscraper?

Reaction score
A skyscraper?
Yes for the Gigantamax (heck, that arguably references a specific building), but the base form seems to have some kind of air intake towards the back and some kind of... nozzle on the top?

Dreamlike
Reaction score
None of the proposed origins for Jynx have ever really convinced me; they all feel like a stretch for one reason or another. Like, I can see why people are tempted to relate it to ganguro, or Brunhild, or the yama-uba. And there's not nothing to those observations, but equally, I think there's a real chance that Jynx's origin isn't anything so specific. Maybe they really did just design a weird, female humanoid monster and slap a unique type combo on it. I feel very similarly toward Heatran, for that matter.

Chingling is preposterously cute and I love it, so this isn't me saying it should be erased or anything, but I really don't understand how or why it was determined that Chimecho should have a baby stage. Like, of all the Pokémon from Gen 3 to get a baby... you pick the one whose only noteworthy trait is its artificial obscurity? It's not powerful, it's not got any unique tricks... it's just a cute wind chime creature. And all Chingling adds to it is more cuteness. Why not Tropius? Or Absol? Surely there's conceptual room for a baby version of either of them? You'd think Chimecho would be asking for an evolution instead.

I'd also love to hear the reasoning for putting a huge, irritable, spine-snapping teddy bear in the laid-back, tropical Alola region.

Reaction score
Chingling is preposterously cute and I love it, so this isn't me saying it should be erased or anything, but I really don't understand how or why it was determined that Chimecho should have a baby stage. Like, of all the Pokémon from Gen 3 to get a baby... you pick the one whose only noteworthy trait is its artificial obscurity? It's not powerful, it's not got any unique tricks... it's just a cute wind chime creature. And all Chingling adds to it is more cuteness. Why not Tropius? Or Absol? Surely there's conceptual room for a baby version of either of them? You'd think Chimecho would be asking for an evolution instead.
Bonus fact: Chimecho might have been the last Pokémon added in Gen III, making it even weirder that it got a pre-evolution next gen.