• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Notched-ear Pichu's English name possibly revealed: Dub name may be Spiky-ear Pichu

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Notched-ear Pichu's English name revealed: Dub name to be Spiky-ear Pichu

Notched-ear Pichu's English name revealed: Dub name to be Spiky-ear Pichu

Pokemon.com has a new "ad" on its main page, featuring the ear of the Pokémon previously known as the Notched-ear Pichu. However, when looking into the URL of said ad's Flash file, it refers to it as the Spiky-ear Pichu.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Notched-ear Pichu's English name revealed: Dub name to be Spiky-ear Pichu

Well, that's...different?

I kinda like it. Now I can say this!
"I shall call her Spiky, and she shall be mine. And she shall be my Spiky. *touches "Spiky* Ouch!!! Bad Spiky!!! Bad!

Hmmm.... Interesting. So does this mean we will be getting the shiny Pichu event sometime in the near future? I want me a Notc... errr Spiky ear Pichu!

What, do they think that English-speaking members of the target demographic don't know what the word "notched" means?

Then again, it could just be for lip-synch purposes, like with Lorel...er, "Prima".

I love how at the event I'll be able to call it notch-eared. Just watch some smart-ass little kid be like, "It's called the SPIKY eared Pichu, retard." Oh boy will this be fun

Confusing little kids with big words like "japanese" ftw

Spiky has more bite to it.

I bet everyone's still going to call it the "Notch-eared Pichu".
The rename's not too bad...but it kinda makes it feel like it's a tough Pichu, which is almost a paradox.

People will still call it the "Gizamimi Pichu."
Anyways, notched refers to the flat parts in between each of the jagged parts. When people look at her, they will first notice the jags, hence the "spiky." Personally "Spiky" is masculine but it's fine.

I love how at the event I'll be able to call it notch-eared. Just watch some smart-ass little kid be like, "It's called the SPIKY eared Pichu, retard." Oh boy will this be fun

Confusing little kids with big words like "japanese" ftw
Heh, I'm not the only one who does that?

I bet everyone's still going to call it the "Notch-eared Pichu".
The rename's not too bad...but it kinda makes it feel like it's a tough Pichu, which is almost a paradox.
Nope.
People will still call it the "Gizamimi Pichu."
Anyways, notched refers to the flat parts in between each of the jagged parts. When people look at her, they will first notice the jags, hence the "spiky." Personally "Spiky" is masculine but it's fine.
I'll still be calling her "Gizamimi Pichu"

I've pretty much stopped keeping with the english names and fandom outside of Bulbapedia; She's Gizamimi Pichu to me.

Also, I'm surprised they're startiing to reveal all of this stuff so early.
I wonder if we'll see Movie 12 by the end of the year, and HGSS before March?

I hated "Notched-eared" as a name. This is a much welcome change.

Notched Eared just seemed like such a bodge for a name
It was descriptive enough in that it one that job
But Spiky is a lot more simpler and sensible

I always called it "Bad-hair-day Pichu"...

The name's... interesting.

So we go from notchy to spiky. Has pokemon lost all creativity?

Spiky-ear Pichu!? Why couldn't they stick with Notched-ear Pichu?

I refuse to call her "Spiky-ear Pichu"! I will always call her "Notched-ear Pichu"!

Mark my words!

Last edited:

I'm all against pointless renames. But this doesn't fit into that category at all.

"Notch-Eared Pichu" was just a fan translation of Giza-Mimi Pichuu. Repeat after me: A FAN TRANSLATION. It wasn't any more "correct" than "Jagged-Eared Pichu" or "Corrugated-Eared Pichu" or, even, "Spiky-Eared Pichu."

The fact that people are complaining about this is...well, it's not SURPRISING. Just annoying.

I'm all against pointless renames. But this doesn't fit into that category at all.

"Notch-Eared Pichu" was just a fan translation of Giza-Mimi Pichuu. Repeat after me: A FAN TRANSLATION. It wasn't any more "correct" than "Jagged-Eared Pichu" or "Corrugated-Eared Pichu" or, even, "Spiky-Eared Pichu."

The fact that people are complaining about this is...well, it's not SURPRISING. Just annoying.

I never looked at it that way.

Fan Dumb and Unpleasable Fanbase at its finest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom