• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Notification of Security Breach of Bulbagarden Forums Server

Saddened to know the old blogs will not be saved.
Worked hard on the two BulbaRuns, nearly completed third.

I have one question: Although the current blogs and social groups are going, will we be able to create new ones after the update?
Blogs: Yes, immediately
Social Groups: Not initially, however expect to have these available for people before the end of year. We will however be a lot more strict on what's allowed for social groups. There's a number of social groups which really should've just had a single discussion thread in an appropriate forum. (e.g. we don't need a Doctor Who social group, a thread in "Music, Films and TV" would be more appropriate)

That's a relief. I thought Blogs and Social Groupies got wiped permanently without recovery. Still, what worries me most is how long the Skins shall be restored in full. It doesn't gonna look good soon.
To clarify what I mean by "recoverable". Here, I'm talking specifically about the content data of the blogs and social groups (as opposed to the functionality, which was the focus of the previous question). We will be keeping a backup of the forums database as it currently stands, and it will be possible for us to go back into that database to look at things if absolutely necessary. It's an incredible pain in the neck for us to do that though, so we're not going to be doing it frequently or frivolously.
At some time in the future, we may be able to find a way for us to dump those to text for people who really really need it. But don't expect it soon, since it's not going to be a priority for us. And keep in mind also that those backups will *not* be integrated back into the forum (unless you repost them yourself or something).

Skins may take a couple of months, depending on how many staff we can get working on it. It's a lot easier to rebuild skins than it is to build them from scratch. We will be prioritizing holiday season skins first, and then afterwards prioritize the skins that users have voted for as the ones they want back the most.

Will profile editing be available in the new forum? Either right away or later via an add-on or something? :s I kinda liked that feature.
If you mean what I think you mean, then definitely not right away. It could return in future, but this is something we'll have to think about. This was another one of those features that had been abused by spammers without people's knowledge. While that wasn't exactly widespread, it's something that's very hard to police, and we'd want to make sure we could limit it to only those users who've been around a while and have been a part of the community.

Er, which skins will be available after the update? Couldn't bear to part with my beloved Erika's New Garden and Origins skins.
ORAS will be the only available skin initially, followed by the holiday season skins (which we want to make sure are ready before December). Other skins will follow at a steady pace based on a forum poll we'll run. I'm hoping we can manage to get 10 skins ready by New Year's. If we're lucky, everything will be back by Easter.

Well, at least I found out about this before it was too late. I've already backed up some of my entries, but I don't think I'll save all 375 posts.

Going through my blog now to find anything that might be worth preserving. And as I'm doing so, I'm starting to think wiping the blogs clean might not be such a bad thing, at least in my case. That said, I remember the days when DracoMan's blog was updated daily with funny jokes and the like, it saddens me to think I'll never be able to go through all of those again... Well, I guess I could do so now, though.

Yes, please do.

BTW, when does this overhaul start?

Last edited:
When will the forums be changing over?

(Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I don't remember seeing a specific date for this.)

The overhaul will happen soon, but I'm afraid I can't give a firm ETA at this stage. It could happen this weekend, or it could happen as late as next weekend. We do have one complication we need to sort out before things can start, otherwise we'd probably have started already.

User Notes will not be staying, I think.

I was wondering about something else: Will BMGf still be running on vBulletin like it is now, or will we be switching over to a new software? I know we're refreshing everything and "starting over", but I didn't know if that mean moving to new software.

And yes, there will be a mandatory password reset to go along with that.

Do we need to be able to access the email addresses linked to this account to do it, or can we change our passwords after logging in once with our original? I've long since lost access to the email associated with this account.

And yes, there will be a mandatory password reset to go along with that.
Do we need to be able to access the email addresses linked to this account to do it, or can we change our passwords after logging in once with our original? I've long since lost access to the email associated with this account.
Yes, you will need to be able to access the email address linked to your account. If you need help changing the email on your account to one that you currently have access to, send a PM to me immediately.

Yes, you will need to be able to access the email address linked to your account. If you need help changing the email on your account to one that you currently have access to, send a PM to me immediately.

I've just created another email for this and changed it, thanks!

I'm going through my blogs just in case to see if anything's worth saving, but I'm not really going to miss them. Good luck everyone

If you are deleting pop culture, food and drink, fan clubs, and other non-person-to-person-type social groups, which ones are the type to stay?

And I hope people whose groups of that sort are for members only viewership/posting, won't rage, protest and ****post on other sites about us more than they already do when they are suddenly forced to have public forums posts in a thread about topics that they aren't comfortable talking about with and in front of the common forum user or guest...

I respectfully say that a "deal with it" policy won't decrease the forthcoming negativity and increase group membership, but I stand by your decision.

If you are deleting pop culture, food and drink, fan clubs, and other non-person-to-person-type social groups, which ones are the type to stay?
Please keep in mind that all social groups will be lost. Exactly what sorts of social groups will be returning will be something for us to discuss as a community at a later time. One type of group we do intend to allow are groups for leagues/clubs/teams/etc. So for example, people who all participate in a local Pokémon league together, or a competitive battling team, or something on those lines.

Please keep in mind that all social groups will be lost. Exactly what sorts of social groups will be returning will be something for us to discuss as a community at a later time. One type of group we do intend to allow are groups for leagues/clubs/teams/etc. So for example, people who all participate in a local Pokémon league together, or a competitive battling team, or something on those lines.

But not, say, Mountain Dew or Homestuck, right? Those won't be allowed anymore?

Damn, and I liked having my own fan club.

Luckily I still have my avatar on my PC. Love XenForo. Nice upgrade guys.

Back
Top Bottom