• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Now That Contests Are Retconned into Showcases, I Guess these Contest Pokémon Now Have to be Boxed

I watched the episode again with subs and again Lisia called them Contest Live, and that strength doesn't matter in "these" contests. At the end Lisia also asked Serena to perform in an idol group with her.
Except "subs" aren't official so their terminology can't be considered 100% trustworthy.

Last edited:
Even people who speak Japanese said these are referred to as Contest Live and are distinct from previous contests.

Even if you don't speak Japanese, you can still hear the 'Contest Live'

What left me wondering was did Lisia and Serena win the Contest Live circuit? They won the Master Class, so there shouldn't be a next round and since Lisia offered Serena a duo gig, I'm left to asume that they've finished their respective CL journeys and are open to new challenges.

I'm assuming Contests and "Contest Lives" are two different entities (though with similarities) until explicitly proven otherwise; perhaps Lives are a subdivision and apparently emphasize the performances of Pokémon solely, rather than showing their appeals through battle as well. I also think it telling that the term "Coordinator" wasn't mentioned in the episode at all regarding the Contest Live, whereas Dawn made a point to say it during her time with Chloe regarding her respective goal in life.

I still wonder why neither Serena or Lisia received a Contest ribbon. Sure you could say the scene ended before we got to that part, but in Kalos they had those princess key things so it's interesting they didn't show the winner get anything this time. Also of note Serena didn't show Koharu a Contest case of old Hoenn contests she might have won, like how May in DP revealed she had 3 Johto Contest ribbons if I remember right.

Serena obviously won some other contests off-screen but we have no indication she has any ribbons so this is probably separate from regular contests. Also no mention of any Grand Festival either, as these seem more like idol shows.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom