• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Now that the game's are closer...Thoughts on "Reverting to simplicity"?

Reaction score
(Old, but perhaps more relevant now than before? :3)

In the magazine “We Love Pokémon”, Game Freak's Ken Sugimori commented on the seventh generation of Pokémon.

When asked what the next generation of Pokémon games will be like if such a plan exists, Sugimori commented that they will not add more layers of complexity, but rather revert back to simplicity, in part by using elements found in Pokémon Red and Green. Therefore, there is now speculation that Game Freak may opt for this route in developing Generation VII.

As a side note, not only the number of games, but also the number of Pokémon, moves, abilities, items, etc. increase as each new generation is introduced, to such a degree that is difficult to remember all of them. It is impossible to decrease the amount of Pokémon, and such a move is assumed to be uncalled for, but some fans have claimed that it might be better to significantly organize/trim the moves, abilities, items, etc.

Also, Sugimori thought that other than the content of the game, Pokémon designs could probably be simplified, as well. As an extra, he stated in the same magazine that his favorite Pokémon of all times, even now as of the Pokémon XY series, is still Gengar as in the past.
Ken Sugimori talks Pokémon Gen 7: Reverting back to simplicity

(The link to the thread on this site doesn't work for some reason, but w/e.)

What's most interesting to me about this now as we near the game's release is that we'll be able to transfer the most 'basic' Pokemon possible to Sun & Moon, from the very games that they're [apparently] taking some cues from. Considering how different the structure was then compared to now...I'm really not sure how to feel about this...

What do you all think is in store for us here? Or, what would you like to see?

I feel like a lot of people will be upset if it goes that way. I'd be fine with it though. Maybe they could get rid of some things but not take out all of the complexity. Maybe there might be some sort of classic mode. Another thing I've heard is RBY Pokemon could get unique benefits. That would explain why they can only be sent to Sun/Moon. But I dunno. Simplicity sounds good to me.

If Game Freak chooses to do this then it is going to happen. Just have to accept it.

It's entirely possible for a game series to revert to a more simple form than previous iterations without cutting down essentials. Obviously we will be getting new pokemon, but maybe not new abilities. Maybe new moves will be limited. Maybe this gen will see more major stat readjustments. Maybe the region won't have quite as many towns centered around a one-off gimmick. Maybe there will be few side activities (nooooooooo!). Maybe they'll take their time to reenforce older, less polished attributes of the series.

Gen 7 may not be a big, bold, innovative new generation, but perhaps it will streamline, refine, and reuse older ideas left to the wayside. It's certainly doable and I still feel would be a lot of fun. In the end, so long as we can catch em all, battle, and have the time of our lives I see nothing wrong with this approach.

I've just thought of something what if Sun and Moon will only have new pokemon and popular and maybe new moves. The only way to get the old pokemon with the cut moves is through the previous gens/pokemon bank? By doing this it will make it easier to revert back to a simpler time rather than trying to fit all the other pokemon in one game.

Like maybe the "they all come together" tagline actually meant "if you want all 8,364 pokemon and less popular moves you're going to need to trade up".

Ew. That sounds terrible. Unless there's wonder trade that would mean I won't ever have a chance to get more than the in-game pokemon as I don't have Pokebank/any other way to trade from old regions. :\

I've just thought of something what if Sun and Moon will only have new pokemon and popular and maybe new moves. The only way to get the old pokemon with the cut moves is through the previous gens/pokemon bank? By doing this it will make it easier to revert back to a simpler time rather than trying to fit all the other pokemon in one game.

Like maybe the "they all come together" tagline actually meant "if you want all 8,364 pokemon and less popular moves you're going to need to trade up".
Were you around for when Bank was getting released? That was frustrating.

If Game Freak did this, there would be an anger unlike any Nintendo has ever seen. Yes, I realize that a lot of players own older versions, but anyone just picking up the games for the first time will no longer be able to "catch em all". They'll be locked out of all this pokemon history. And older fans will absolutely need to pay for the bank in order to get access to all of their old content, which they are already grumbling about.

No, I really do not expect GameFreak to go this route. Cutting off Gen 7 from the rest like this would be a very bad idea.

Ew. That sounds terrible. Unless there's wonder trade that would mean I won't ever have a chance to get more than the in-game pokemon as I don't have Pokebank/any other way to trade from old regions. :\

Yeah, it sucks especially for those of us that can't necessarily afford pokemon bank or have other 3DSes to trade with. But it's the less evil option next to "we're cutting everything that we made past gen II and everything is going back to a linear first gen feel but with more pokemon."

Were you around for when Bank was getting released? That was frustrating.

If Game Freak did this, there would be an anger unlike any Nintendo has ever seen. Yes, I realize that a lot of players own older versions, but anyone just picking up the games for the first time will no longer be able to "catch em all". They'll be locked out of all this pokemon history. And older fans will absolutely need to pay for the bank in order to get access to all of their old content, which they are already grumbling about.

No, I really do not expect GameFreak to go this route. Cutting off Gen 7 from the rest like this would be a very bad idea.

It would cause an uproar that will lead to a boycott, yes. But at the same time it's a tiny, TINY, bit better than them actually coming out and saying "we're reverting back to a bare bones first gen. type feel."

I mean I don't want something like that to happen either, but who really knows at this point. I just really hope that those were Sugimori's personal ideas on how to simplify the game and not really those of GameFreak. And if they are, then at best I'd like "simplistic" to be applied to the villains, NPCs, story or something other than making the games easier than they are now or reverting back to Gen I style of game play.

A youtuber of my nationality who lives in Japan (known as Velberan) said in one of his videos that Youkai Watch continues smothering Pokémon franchise in Japan.

He has a 11 year old son, and also reported in one of his videos that his son played ORAS for approximately one week, beat the league, catch the legendarys and then dropped the game (he had also completed the Pokédex previously in XY). According to his son the competitive Pokémon is very boring, because it requires hours of grinding. And I think most kids think so.

On the other hand, he reported that his son took months until dropped Youkai Watch.

I believe it is this simplicity that the game should return, I think somehow it will be even easier to create competitive Pokémon with the right Nature/IVs/Abillity, without spending the time that players spend today with "grinding".

Last edited:
It would cause an uproar that will lead to a boycott, yes. But at the same time it's a tiny, TINY, bit better than them actually coming out and saying "we're reverting back to a bare bones first gen. type feel."

That's a very literal reading of this statement, and most likely not at all what they meant.

GameFreak has been saying for years now that gamers have less time and more distractions. With audiences growing larger and having more options, they need to change their tactics. They can't expect all their customers to sit down and play a single game for hundreds of hours or for multiple saves. So, they go back to the core roots of the series and work off that. Those games were not long, heck, they can be beaten in less than 2 hours if you know what you're doing. And those games were not complex. But they did provide a very solid foundation.

At this point, GF is basically asking themselves, "What needs to return, and what does not? What can be refined or streamlined, and what cannot?"

They know breeding and EV training is a chore. So maybe they fix that. They know mega evolution is becoming a huge thing. Maybe they streamline that. They know that contests and movies and musicals were... Cute, but not a major draw. Maybe those don't get a return.

And maybe none of this interview is relevant anymore.

One thing I've noticed many months after ORAS came out: I think the Pokemon Company is starting to acknowledge that the adult audience is as important to cater to as the youth. You can notice this in Pokemon GO ads and other content out there. Just lately explaining fairly complex game techniques, like breeding and special analysis of competitive events look like heavy reads for an older audience, and I question if creating an Omastar BREAK card is really a coincidence (Twitch memes are part of an Adult Fanbase for the most part.)

I think that Game Freak may have changed direction since that interview, and perhaps maybe redefining what 'simplicity' means. 'Simple' doesn't have to mean 'dumbed down,' like removing features, slimming the location, and making the game too easy. It can instead mean taking away unnecessary roadblocks and crazy complexity that just make the game less fun an more inaccessible, like IV's, HM's, single use TM's, etc.

The question, of course, will be how they'll execute simplicity, and if the simplicity will appeal to both children and adults... That part, to me, is vague in their statements for the time being.

I really cannot picture them pulling another "BW scenario" where only the new Pokémon are obtainable in the new games. *I* really liked that idea, but virtually nobody else did, and I would be surprised if GF hadn't picked up on that less-than-positive reception.

The article specifically rules out the idea of removing actual Pokémon - but suggests that moves, items, and abilities could be fair game. Which I would actually be fine with, in many instances - I mean, do we *really* need the 20% boosting items like the Magnet and the Soft Sand as well as Arceus's Plates, even though they do the exact same thing? Just kick the old items out, especially since they didn't even bother to create one for the Fairy type. Bag clutter in general has come up as a concern recently, too, especially in regards to the Mega Stones.

A youtuber of my nationality who lives in Japan (known as Velberan) said in one of his videos that Youkai Watch continues smothering Pokémon franchise in Japan.

Guh... I keep hearing this, but I don't understand WHY. I picked up the demo of Yokai Watch and just did NOT enjoy myself. And I'm not a hard girl to entertain.

What was simple about Gen I? Can't organize your bag, and you have a carry limit. You can't even tell how many Pokemon are in your box until a message tells you its full. There's no easy way to check boxes without saving each time.

Why do people think Gen I is reverting to simplicity? The only thing simple are the designs--but Game Freak isn't an art company, its a game company. If anything, Gen VI reverted to simplicity by streamlining breeding and EV training with various additions like Destiny Knot and horde encounters.

- I fear that he means more mono type pokemon
- maybe less overdesigned things?
- hmmm simple means more regular evolutions throug leveling up and by using stones?(moon and sun)
- maybe beast based starters like gen 1 and 2? without humanization?
- simple would be to solve more problems of past games in the new ones then to add new types and features.
-simple= use what was created in past 6 generations+new things like normally.
That means also we will get new moves , abilities, forms and megas.
But no complicated changes.

What was simple about Gen I? Can't organize your bag, and you have a carry limit. You can't even tell how many Pokemon are in your box until a message tells you its full. There's no easy way to check boxes without saving each time.

Why do people think Gen I is reverting to simplicity? The only thing simple are the designs--but Game Freak isn't an art company, its a game company. If anything, Gen VI reverted to simplicity by streamlining breeding and EV training with various additions like Destiny Knot and horde encounters.

THIS.

Gen I is not simplicity. Is is barebones. It is clunky. Anyone who spent several hours with the VC releases would probably agree.

Seriously. Bag/PC item desposit restrictions make you appreciate how far Pokemon has come in terms of gameplay features like that.

After two and a half year, now that when I read back the original article in PokeMemo, I had one speculation and one affirmation about this issue.

IMO I think: (Speculation)
Cut down or merge the similar items, moves, abilities, etc. As these are getting expanded too much beyond memorable on each successive generation. That is also what was suggested in the original article.

What I acknowledged: (Affirmation)
That Ken Sugimori doesn't even know what his word meant. He may have a very vague idea of what he wanted the game to be, but I don't think he even understood what exactly the explicit element(s) he really wanted the game to have.
He referred to elements of GenI Pokemon RGB, but as Lufenian pointed out, that is barebone, not simplicity, the two words are not the same thing.

Also, IMO, simplicity is also =/= trimming fats. The word "simple", just means easy to understand without much difficulty. The Pokemon game system mechanics evolved too much in these 20 years, which is getting more and more difficult to fully grasp its gameplay principles. What I'm personally hoping, is that GF could just make the game mechanics much more clearly and explicitly explained within the game itself, without any vague explanations and nothing hidden behind the scenes. Incorporate the rule guidebook in the game itself (that is what "Help & Tutorial" in many RPG games are for). I don't like the idea of having NPC in the towns and cities doing those explanations, and also don't like to buy a separate official guidebook just for understanding the mechanism of the game. Let the characters inside the game be human beings instead of avatars of the guidebook, and let the Help function like that in FrLg do that job.

I think what people mean is nowadays when you want to play competitively, you have to figure out what IV's/EV's/nature/ability your Pokémon should have > breed Pokémon with good IV's+right ability+right nature > make sure they hold the right breeding items > cycle in circles for hours until you get a Pokémon with the right IV's+ability+nature > EV-train them > train them to level 100. And repeat that for the other 5 Pokés on your team.

In Gen I this all didn't exist yet, you could just catch your Pokémon and you're ready to battle other players.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom