• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

NU (alpha) Discussion Thread

UB-01 Kenobi

If she's UB-01, I'm UB-01
Reaction score
As y'all could probably tell from AnybodyAgrees's new RMT, XY NU is now out in its alpha phase! Here is the banlist (subject to change):

Abomasnow, Alomomola, Ambipom, Amoonguss, Aromatisse, Azelf, Banette, Braviary, Bronzong, Cinccino, Clawitzer, Claydol, Cobalion, Cofagrigus, Cresselia, Delphox, Drapion, Druddigon, Dugtrio, Eelektross, ELectivire, Emboar, Escavalier, Exploud, Froslass, Gallade, Gastrodon, Gligar, Golbat, Heliolisk, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Jellicent, Kabutops, Kyurem, Medicham, Meloetta, Milotic, Moltres, Raikou, Registeel, Reuniclus, Rhyperior, Rotom-Mow, Sableye, Sharpedo, Shaymin, Skuntank, Slowking, Slurpuff, Smeargle, Tangrowth, Tornadus, Toxicroak, Tyrantrum, Venomoth, Whimsicott, Yanmega, Zoroark, all Pokémon, moves, items, and abilities that are UU, BL, OU, or Ubers

Feel free to discuss your experiences on the NU (alpha) ladder, theorymon sets and threats, etc. Here're some of my observations:

Bird Offense is really good. Swellow, Archeops, and Chatot are like Talonflame, Staraptor, and MPinsir in OU.

Chatot @ Focus Sash
Tangled Feet
Timid/Modest
252 SpA/4SpD/252 Spe
~Nasty Plot
~Boomburst
~Chatter
~Agility/HP Ground/Encore

Chatot attains massive power with Boomburst after a Nasty Plot. Unfortunately, Heat Wave is incompatible with Boomburst, so to hit Steels and Rocks Chatot must resort to HP Ground, or it can allow itself to be walled and run a DoubleDance set, which can sweep almost any team once said types are removed.

Archeops @ Choice Band/Scarf
Defeatist
Adamant/Jolly
252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
~Knock Off
~Earthquake/Aerial Ace
~Stone Edge/Head Smash
~U-Turn

Pretty self-explanatory! Knock Off is a fantastic addition to his arsenal.

Swellow @ Toxic/Flame Orb
Guts
Adamant/Jolly
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
~Facade
~Brave Bird
~Quick Attack
~U-Turn/Protect

This is also very intuitive. Quick Attack to pick off a weakened foe and proc your Orb, then sweep with Facade.

Walls and Wallbreakers: Unlike OU, many premier walls in NU like Steelix and Avalugg are physical as opposed to Special or mixed like Chansey, Sylveon, MVenusaur, Heatran, etc. thus, wallbreakers tend more towards Specs than Band.

Discuss!

Same here. First time in NU. And Klinklang is great, being one of the few dominant Steel-types in the tier, not to mention pure-Steel type too. Chatot is a monster as well.

I've found Shiftry to be an incredibly reliable and versatile Poke in the current meta, the combination of Knock Off, strong priority and Defog in one package is just a really handy thing to have.

Fire spam is really dangerous right now too, I've found Pyroar and Typhlosion together are often too much for many teams to handle.

I've found Shiftry to be an incredibly reliable and versatile Poke in the current meta, the combination of Knock Off, strong priority and Defog in one package is just a really handy thing to have.

Fire spam is really dangerous right now too, I've found Pyroar and Typhlosion together are often too much for many teams to handle.

Yup, my number one problem.

I actually go somewhat offensive with a stall core(I revised my team). Gourgeist is underrated as it can live Durant's LO +1 Crunch and kill it with Flamethrower. Sure, you have to give up Shadow Sneak, but being able to take out Durant with ease is a massive achievement, especially for a wall.

I actually go somewhat offensive with a stall core(I revised my team). Gourgeist is underrated as it can live Durant's LO +1 Crunch and kill it with Flamethrower. Sure, you have to give up Shadow Sneak, but being able to take out Durant with ease is a massive achievement, especially for a wall.

SpA Gourgeist seems really niche, since it doesn't want to sacrifice Speed, either Def, or it's Atk in an ideal world. If you want a Durante counter why not just slap a hard counter like Qwilfish, Poliwrath, or Physically Defensive Lanturn on your team?

Anyway, here's a brand-new team I've started using in action:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nualpha-125590575

It's a hazard-control team. Crustle sets hazards (Golurk also packs Rocks just in case), Golurk spinblocks, Virizion has a fast taunt for Defog, Avalugg Spins, and Poliwrath, Lickylicky, and Avalugg all carry phazing moves (and Golurk's Dynamic Punch and Virizion's Taunt can also sort-of phaze, and Crustle is a one-time phazer with Red Card.)

Last edited:
You don't need investment to OHKO Durant with Flamethrower, even with a -SpA nature.

In that case it seems like it could be a more viable option, but I'm sorry to say I won't be trying it - seems like a waste of a moveslot to me xD

Actually, IIRC, long before the GenVI tiers have been established, there was some discussiion on Smogon concerning Gourgeist with Fire Blast/Flamethrower for quad effective coverage on Bug/Steel and Grass/Steel types, (although it was in OU context, obviously).

Now that it is brought up, I want to try it in NU... (and in OU, because it wouldn't be me otherwise :D)

Actually, IIRC, long before the GenVI tiers have been established, there was some discussiion on Smogon concerning Gourgeist with Fire Blast/Flamethrower for quad effective coverage on Bug/Steel and Grass/Steel types, (although it was in OU context, obviously).

Now that it is brought up, I want to try it in NU... (and in OU, because it wouldn't be me otherwise :D)

Sure, when you've got Scizor, Forretress, Ferrothorn, Escavalier, etc all running around it makes a little more sense. But for just Durant and Wormadam-Trash (LOL) it seems like a waste when you could have Sub/Seed/DBond/Shadow Sneak.

Wormadam-Trash is OP as hell.

Although I seem to be remembering my type matchups now, and I must add that NU has a relevant thing as well: Leavanny.
Although I think that its relevance for coverage Fire Blast is somewhat hindered by the fact that it doesn't take a quad effective move to OHKO it. :D

I also like the word "although".

Wormadam-Trash is OP as hell.

Although I seem to be remembering my type matchups now, and I must add that NU has a relevant thing as well: Leavanny.
Although I think that its relevance for coverage Fire Blast is somewhat hindered by the fact that it doesn't take a quad effective move to OHKO it. :D

I also like the word "although".

0- SpA Gourgeist Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Leavanny: 220-260 (75.6 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Leavanny Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Gourgeist-Small: 314-370 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Leavanny Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 248-292 (66.3 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Leavanny will always win that matchup vs Gourgeist-Small and will also always beat Gourgeist-Super assuming that Gourgeist-Super is switching in on the turn Leavanny sets up Swords Dance.

Well, frankly, I never thought about trying to switch Gourgeist into Leavanny, I was thinking of a situation when Leavanny switches into Gourgeist, particularly when it already has a Sub up.
I don't know how realistic this situation is, however: I have used Leavanny a lot, but I haven't encountered a lot of Gourgeist, and didn't try to put it to use myself. Yet.

How viable is Poliwrath? It's got good all around stats and a solid typing AND a phazing move in Circle Throw. Seems pretty damn nice to me but I'm having trouble choosing which one to go with since we have so many great water pokes in the tier.

EDIT: Here's the set that I'm considering on my defensive team

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
-Scald
-Circle Throw
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Scald for buring, CT for phazing and Rest for recovery.
Please give me suggestions... I'm so torn between this and Lanturn.

Last edited:
Lanturn is typically better, but Poliwrath fulfills a different niche so they're hard to compare as neither directly outclasses the other. What does the rest of your team look like?

That's the standard Poliwrath set used on the oodles of Sand teams at the top of the ladder. Annoying to take down, and has a lot of utility provided hazards are up. Just watch out for SE special moves and spam ResTalk when in need of healing. Simple to use, walls almost every physical threat.

And it's a bit late to say this, but Flamethrower also hits other Gourgeists harder.

In finally finishing my dinosaur team (not fossil, specifically dinosaur), I've found that Rock Polish Rampardos is an extremely potent sweeper, especially with Mold Breaker (didn't have access to Sheer Force).

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Mold Breaker
Adamant/Jolly
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
~Head Smash/Stone Edge
~Earthquake
~Zen Headbutt
~Rock Polish

Head Smash may seem a little unorthodox, but it does unrivaled damage with stab (usually OHKO damage) and Rampardos will almost always shell off two before dropping to self inflicted damage. Not to mention it is a great last-ditch-effort move if Ramp's at low HP and will die to the next attack/switch-in/status damage anyway. Besides that, Earthquake is great for Levitate-ers with solid damage and Zen Headbutt is good for coverage and flinches. With Rampardos' overwhelming base attack, it doesn't really need Adamant, so I run Jolly to make sure it out-speeds a wider range of pokes.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom