• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nuzlocke Challenge

Doing it on Black,anyways can I count gift mons as not the first mon in the area?(I'm assuming yes,anyway so...)

Rules used: 1,2,3,5,6, and 8

Last edited:
2[];3207431 said:
Doing it on Black,anyways can I count gift mons as not the first mon in the area?(I'm assuming yes,anyway so...)

Rules used: 1,2,3,5,6, and 8

Yes, the gift pokemon counts for the first pokemon in the area. However, you cannot get any pokemon after that.

Might do one in EMerald.With the Bulbapedia's definite rules

1.Nickname
2.Die=Dead
3.Only catch 1st-in-area

Definite Rules:
1 - If a pokémon faints IT IS DEAD. It must be taken to a pc and released, there are no exceptions to this.
2 - In line with the above rule, if all of your pokémon faint die its game over.
3 - Nickname your pokémon, making it all the more upsetting when they die.
4 - No out of battle healing AT ALL apart from pokecenters and other such npcs.
5 - You may only catch the first pokémon of each new route/city, new pokemon fainted? Tough shit. Wanted a pokémon that only shows up here but wasn't first? Tough shit.
6 - All legendaries must be killed or caught, stuffed in a box and never used.
7 - Battle Mode must be set to "Set" in the options. (No free switches when enemy switches)
8 - Record your journey, be it through a badly drawn mspaint comic (Which is the traditional medium) or through a story/log.

Optional rules for those who rule:
These are either not accepted by everyone, or are custom rules suggested in this thread and added to the list, pick and choose from these as you like.

9 - You may only have 6 pokémon at a time, if you see and catch one you like when your party is full you must sacrifice one of your current party for it, this is the same as normal death.
10 - You are limited to your first five pokéballs, what you find in the wild, and one bought from each town.
11 - No healing items at all. (replaces rule 4 which allows items to be used inside battles)
12 - No grinding. Improvise.

There is a problem with the rules.

1 is changable. Its called a hell box
2 is very vague. If all of your Pokemon die, including your back ups, its game over
3 is in line
4 isn't mandatory
5 is in line
6 isn't mandatory
7 isn't mandatory
8 isn't mandatory
9 you didnot create. Its been around for some time
10 is in line
11 is in line
12 is in line

There's a sight you should check out. Its called nuzlocke.com. It has a forum and everything. And you didn't create rule 9

Oh mannn!!! I could never do this! :scared: The closest I'll ever come to something like this is playing the Mystery Dungeon games lols.

Oh mannn!!! I could never do this! :scared: The closest I'll ever come to something like this is playing the Mystery Dungeon games lols.

It's not that hard, actually, and it's more an exercise in learning to love the pokemon you have.

Hmmmmm....... I haven't seen it like that. Guess you're right lols, how many games have you tried it with?

I've tried it with a couple games. I usually give up two or three gyms in because I'm a serial collector and I can't stand not catching everything.

Me too, I have to fill up as much Pokedex slots or I'll go crazy!! Lols, I might try it with my Cystal Version one of these days. It can't save anymore, so I might as well try the challenge whenever I play on it. But then again, would that be undermining the point of the challenge? Because if I get a Pokemon that I don't like, I can always turn the game off and start a new game.

Definite Rules:
1 - If a pokémon faints IT IS DEAD. It must be taken to a pc and released, there are no exceptions to this.
2 - In line with the above rule, if all of your pokémon faint die its game over.
5 - You may only catch the first pokémon of each new route/city, new pokemon fainted? Tough shit. Wanted a pokémon that only shows up here but wasn't first? Tough shit.
7 - Battle Mode must be set to "Set" in the options. (No free switches when enemy switches)
8 - Record your journey, be it through a badly drawn mspaint comic (Which is the traditional medium) or through a story/log.

These are either not accepted by everyone, or are custom rules suggested in this thread and added to the list, pick and choose from these as you like.

9 - You may only have 6 pokémon at a time, if you see and catch one you like when your party is full you must sacrifice one of your current party for it, this is the same as normal death.
10 - You are limited to your first five pokéballs, what you find in the wild, and one bought from each town.
11 - No healing items at all. (replaces rule 4 which allows items to be used inside battles)
I'd maybe play a Nuzlocke, but it'd be a Nuzlocke in spirit only. Behold my alterations! (Eh, see pkmner's post above/includd below.)

I'd have a faint-box. I'd buy a million pokeballs, 10x at a time. (Using basic math, I'd determine whether a pokemon I encountered is "legitimately" captureable/useable or not. It's easy--you have a route count/chart and a "legitimate" pokeball count.) I'd catch one of each pokemon at least, for the sake of the pokedex. I'd catch a million of something if it was a pokemon that I desired--I might only use the first pokemon of a species that I caught, sure. (Elsewise I'd do the route thing, no difference.) I'd eventually train any desirable pokemon that fainted, as well. (I'd not battle any trainers with it, and I'd probably not do any training during the main challenge.)

Essentially, I'd catch all good pokemon and not release any good pokemon. There's no need to be stupid for the sake of a challenge, and that's something I've always lived by.

All that said, this should be a very easy challenge in Black & White. Serperior has Leech Seed and great defenses and speed; Watchog has Hypnosis/Dream Eater (Patrat is a 50% chance encounter on the first route); Musharna has good defenses and HP, STAB Dream Eater, Yawn and Hypnosis, and Moonlight; Audino has modest defenses and Regenerator; Lilligant has Sleep Powder, Dream eater, Synthesis, and Giga Drain; Maractus has Water Absorb, Giga Drain and Synthesis; Scrafty has Rest/Shed Skin (he can especially take status attacks); Reuniclus has Magic Guard/Pain Split/Recover (he can even be status immune); Sawsbuck has Leech Seed and Horn Leech; Amoongus has Giga Drain and Synthesis (and Spore: stall-autowin; as well, Foongus/Amoongus are interactable on routes 6/10; pack revives, and you can plan their capture); Jellicent has Water Absorb and Recover; Alomomola has Rest/Hydration...

The list goes on. Sweepers don't have to play by the same rules necessarily, and some wallls can just use Rest repeatedly.

I also don't see any rules about breeding pokemon. I assumed it was forbidden, so the list above (which is incomplete anyway) doesn't include any forms of recovery that come through breeding.
There is a problem with the rules.

1 is changable. Its called a hell box
2 is very vague. If all of your Pokemon die, including your back ups, its game over
3 is in line
4 isn't mandatory
5 is in line
6 isn't mandatory
7 isn't mandatory
8 isn't mandatory
9 you didnot create. Its been around for some time
10 is in line
11 is in line
12 is in line

There's a sight you should check out. Its called nuzlocke.com. It has a forum and everything. And you didn't create rule 9.

Right now in my Heartgold Nuzloche I'm up to Goldenrod. My party includes:

Volcano the Quilava
NumNum the Pidgey (about to evolve)
Buzzkill the Butterfree
SkinnyBill the Bellsprout
Duffman the Geodude

I have a comic about my travels in the Artists Alcove. So far the playthroughs been really fun, and I've had no deaths!

Man,i can't beleive a actually completed your challenge on my leaf green game.By the time i finished the league i was only left with my lv.45 lapras.All my other Pokemon fainted,and yeah,i released them! man seriously i never felt that releasing my pokemon could be so depressing ;-( And i killed all the legendaries except suicune which is a roaming pokemon.But i didn't follow rule 9 coz i wasn't interested in recording the adventure.But i gotta admit this sure was an awesome and really tough challenge. You won't believe how many pokemon i actually trained to finish the challenge.So the challenge was awesome and you guyz gotta try it too....

I did one. I haven't played it for a while, so I can't really remember much. I think my current team is:
Snivy (Nickname: Named it after myself) Lv.10
Lillipup (Nickname: None) Lv.10

The Nuzlocke challenge is a challenge designed to make the game harder, specifically it forces you to improvise and be very careful about not letting your pokémon faint. A basic set of rules is below, but they vary from place to place.

Definite Rules:

So there ya go, this thread is for the Nuzlocke challenge in general. Post your thoughts on it, post your logs/comics if you decide to try it, suggest new rules, go wild. If any especially good run-throughs are documented i'll link to the posts here.

Also obviously I take no credit for the Nuzlocke challenge or any of the rules above( apart from rule 9 ), I didn't make this, i'm just passing it on.

WRONG RULES.
THERE ARE ONLY TWO RULES.
800px-Basic_Nuzlocke_rules.png

Found here. Nuzlocke Challenge - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
THERE ARENT ALL THOSE OTHER RULES.
Thank you.

I'm doing one in Diamond now, only using the official rules (see post above). I'm at route 211 now.

My current team:
- Ray the Ponyta lvl 21
- Sheila the Luxio lvl 27
- Esme the Graveler lvl 26
- Misa the Machop lvl 26
- Robin the Staravia lvl 28
- Paco the Bidoof lvl 19

Deaths:
- Peeko the Piplup (I wasn't even at the first gym yet *sigh*)
- Alex the Bidoof
- Thor the Geodude
- Zuzu the Zubat
- Powahz the Psyduck

It's fun because you sometimes get pokemon on your team you usually would never have picked (like a Machop in my case). It's depressing at the same time because of the deaths. My boyfriend asked me yesterday why I wasn't playing pokemon. I answered that I didn't want any more of them to die *sob*.

I had to break the rules one time, because in Eterna city I discovered that I had no pokemon that could learn Cut (piplup and first bidoof already died), so I was stuck. I caught a new bidoof and decided I wasn't allowed to catch a pokemon in the next route to make up for it.

UPDATE: Here is my team.
Snivy Lv.14
Lillipup Lv.10
Purrloin (Newly Caught) Lv.4
Panpour Lv.10

I'm making an exception about some pokemon with the permadeath (ex: Starter, Shines (If I'm lucky enough to find one), or other things. All pokemon that I don't have an exception for still die.) So it's only like a 99% nuzlocke. (Would have been less, but I have very few exceptions)

Last edited:
SnivyKing: starters aren't exempt to the death rule. as long as you don't use them after they faint, it's okay

I had to break the rules one time, because in Eterna city I discovered that I had no pokemon that could learn Cut (piplup and first bidoof already died), so I was stuck. I caught a new bidoof and decided I wasn't allowed to catch a pokemon in the next route to make up for it.

Oh, this does bring a valid point. How is one to deal with a situation like this?

SnivyKing: starters aren't exempt to the death rule. as long as you don't use them after they faint, it's okay
It's not that I thought there was an exception. I'm using a exception made up by myself, so I said it's not going to a 100% full nuzlocke.

Oh, this does bring a valid point. How is one to deal with a situation like this?

Usually In my runs I would just catch a HM slave and use that, But i treat it as a dead pokemon, as in I never use it and keep it in my box bringing it out when it's needed

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom