• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

NyaChan's Region Project

NyaChan

ビルがある!
Reaction score
This was mostly done out of shear boredom, but I kinda wanna take it farther and do something with it. I also want opinions as well as suggestions. :3

I'm NOT planning on creating many pokemon for this, and the reasoning is that I'm placing the storyline in those 3 years between Johto and Kanto. However, I am creating legendaries and possibly starters.

First off, here's a brief explanation and inspiration of the region:

Called the Paena Region, is it off the coast of Johto towards the west. The idea stems from Hawaii (and the region's name is Hawaiian for "Land"), and as such the region is made up of a large main island and a few smaller islands. The towns and locations names come from notable jewels.

And now the picture:

map_2.png

I feel like I'm missing landmarks more than anything really. as to why there's no Forest, I honestly don't see it fitting into the vision I have for the region, and instead put a beach into it. Also, the Ruins is where the legendaries will be.

As for how they get to the Battle Frontier (which I will design new brains for, but otherwise it'll be similar to Pt/HGSS's), it will be by ferry from one of the towns. Opinions on which town it should be?

And I do have a gym list and the elite four types. No leader names as of yet. Open up the spoiler to see.

Gym Types
1.Psychic (Satlada Town)
2.Electric (Dresden City)
3.Ground (Amari Town)
4.Steel (Rusi City)
5.Dark (Korsus City)
6.Normal (Briolette City)
7.Water (Haruk City)
8.Fighting (Lesotho Town)

Elite Four Types
1.Fire
2.Flying
3.Ice
4.Rock
5.Champion: Grass

The only person I have a name in mind for at the moment is the Professor, who will be female. The name I have in mind right now is "Cherri" (as in Cherry Tree obviously), though I'm not sure on what she would specialize in.

I'm contemplating between using it for a Fanfic or a RP. I'm starting to think the fanfic would be more interesting (Plus in scribbling some things down I sorta design the base female/male trainers :p), but iunno.

Sooo, opinions? Suggestions? Comments? :3

Last edited:
Cool. I like it a lot.

Last edited:
this is cool what should the starters be? i was thinking
grass-turtwig
fire-cyndaquil
water-squirtle

this is cool what should the starters be? i was thinking
grass-turtwig
fire-cyndaquil
water-squirtle

No Sinnoh/Hoenn pokemon. It's by Kanto/Johto and in the time period between the Kanto and Johto stories.

And I don't really like the idea of 'borrowing' starters from multiple regions. If I was going to use starters or any other region, it's be either Kanto or Johto and all three of them, not mix 'n' match.

I'm still contemplating designing my own starters is the reason I don't have any listed. :p

Made the protagonist's in sprite form. :3

protagonists.png

I don't have much of a backstory just yet, but here's where their names come from:

Mira: Means "look" or "Admirable"
Scout: Means "First Explorer", the word itself referring to a "scout" who looks ahead to 'scout' the area (edit: removed the call to the redundancy department of redundancy xD)

:D yay themed names.

Mira came out so much better than Scout though. >_<

Last edited:
Made both of them in overworld style. xD Also fixed a few things on Scout's trainer sprite I didn't like, refresh to see that.

protags_walk.png

And animated:
protag_M_walk.gif
protag_F_walk.gif

Mira still came out better. >_<;

I might alter some sprites into Professor Cherri later. :3 Also thinking about the evil group, since I'm not gonna take Team Rocket. :p

Last edited:
these are very good. you shoul make fanfic or something like that

Alright, here's Professor Cherri Maple.

professor_cherri.png

A child prodigy, she was able to graduate from the Pokemon academy at a young age. However, due to her young age, some professors may not truly trust her work. She specializes in Pokemon psychology. Prof. Cherri Maple is generally a fun person to be around, and loves to make jokes. At the time of Paena's storyline she is 19, merely 9 years older than the protagonists Scout and Mari.

She actually started looking much different, but I like this appearance better. :3

Last edited:
I think Cypress or Maple would suit the Prof. better, but over all, some pretty awesome stuff!

Hm... I agree with you there. Cherri was the only thing I could think of at the time (plus the old design prolly fit that name better)... I kinda like Maple more (Cypress kinda has a bit of an 'older' feeling to me, loliunno), Hm. I think I'll change her name. xDD

Uhm, anyways, I'm thinking I'll stick to either Squirtle/Bublasaur/Charmander or Chikorita/Cyndaquil/Totodile. Kinda leaning more towards Johto starters since Paena is closer to Johto than to Kanto.

As for the legendaries, they're sketched out. I would call them the "Legendary Dolphins". xD lol, my favorite RL animal is a dolphin, and I thought it would fit. :3 One is a water/electric type, and the other is water/fire. They look a lot like dolphins but with the secondary element's "touch", but most Gen1/2 pokemon look more like real animals than the later ones, so I think it's OK. Sprites coming, uh, sometime. xDDD

Last edited:
Been a while since I've worked on this (nanowrimo is sucking up all my creative juice or something xD), but here's two of the gym leaders.

leader_01_psy.png
leader_02_elec.png

The Psychic Gym Leader, and the Electric Gym Leader. No names yet, suggestions?

I currently also have the Ground gym leaders (Yup, double battle twins :3), Dark Gym leader, and Water gym leader designed, along with all their badges. And I think I started another leader's design too.

Most of them a girls though. ._.; I guess I'm just breaking all kinds of common themes with gym leaders with this (Female electric gym leader, more girls than guys, dark-type gym... xD)

I also have Mira and Scout's rival designed, also breaking the usual, it's a girl rival. :p And I decided the three are triplets. xD No name for the rival, will look up a theme-matching name soon-ish.

Last edited:
Not to be rude, but the male protagonist's sprite looks pretty girly. I think it's the long hair.

Other than that, this seems pretty interesting. You're really talented at this sort of thing. I'd love to read your fan-fic, if that's indeed the route that you're heading.

Psychic gym leader is Sid and Electric gym leader is Amber. How about that?

Not to be rude, but the male protagonist's sprite looks pretty girly. I think it's the long hair.

Other than that, this seems pretty interesting. You're really talented at this sort of thing. I'd love to read your fan-fic, if that's indeed the route that you're heading.

Hm, you think so? I'll go back and try to fix it sometime. It's meant to be spiky hair, though I can't deny it doesn't look all to good. Why does Scout look so much better on paper. Dx

And yeah, I'm sort of realizing fan-fic would be the best route, though it will have to wait until at least December, as NaNoWriMo is requiring all of my writing abilities at the moment.

@SSJ3_Raditz: Not too sure on Sid, but I do like the name Amber for her.

@DuskDawn97 While those are interesting, I do now have a set name list, along with badge names. All 8 leaders are also designed now, I just have to sprite them.

1. Sidney, Rantipole Badge
2. Amber, Marigold Badge
3. Jade and Jasper, Coneflower Badge
4. Iona, Cress Badge
5. Darcy, Violet Badge
6. Dory (Goes by Dolly), Daisy Badge
7. Lynne, Water Lily Badge
8. Renny, Tulip Badge

Badges are flower-themed. xD Elite four is sort of in progress, but not really. :p Some of the flower names are bit more obscure, but eh. :p Also, it's a 2:1 Female:Male Ratio. xD Will either edit this with sprites of some more leaders later, or make a new post (if someone posts while I work on them and stuff. :p)

Badges are also designed, and some of them have been sprited already, but I won't show those till I have them all sprited, and some of them look odd and require a lot of reworking. Dx;\

One legendary is done, but I've realized I suck at making fakemon sprites, so it's kinda gonna require a lot of work. :/ But this is the Water/Electric one, kinda finished.

legendary_01.png

Oh, and here's Darcy:
leader_05_dark.png

Evil gang had also been designed, and is called... [kinda lame name warning] Team BLU, or BLU Gang. (You may facepalm now) Pretty much I figure their goal is to take the two legendaries and wipe out all of Paena to begin it anew.

... or something like that. xD

Last edited:
@NyaChan if you want any help on the sprites let me know, I would love to help, PM either way

This is some awesome stuff! I can't wait to see your fanfic.

Thanks.

@flamealex01: No, this is something I'm working on, and I'm quite fine with doing this myself. Sporadic updates be damned, I feel better working on this alone when I have the time. If you want to make suggestions to make them better, that's fine. C&C is great.

I now have sprites for the remaining leaders:
leader_03_ground.png
leader_04_steel.png
leader_06_normal.png
leader_07_water.png
leader_08_fight.png

Jade & Jasper (er, Jade's on the right), Iona, Dolly, Lynne, and Renny

Also, the badge line up:
badges.png

I'm thinking I may include Hoenn/Sinnoh pokemon, but in very small amounts. Probably in the leader's teams, though once I figure out all their back stories, there may not be a need to put Sinnoh/Hoenn pokemon into the wild, depends. :3

I'll get the other legendary sprited as well as the rival, who still has no name (don't need suggestions for the name, gonna look up things related to the theme), and probably the Grunts for BLU gang (Team BLU just sounds stupider IMO. :p).

edit: Elite Four and Champion designed today. No sprites yet, but here's their names:

1. Riley, uses Fire Type
2. Lyra, uses Flying Type
3. Miranda, uses Ice Type
4. Tyson, uses Rock Type
5. Lucia, uses Grass Type

Didn't do a name look up on them, so these aren't meaning connected. I like the designs a lot, so I'll get to spriting them soon. :3

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom