• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

o.o It really happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if Pokemon USA will continue using the same voice cast?

That's obviously my biggest concern. A good thing out of this is we might get the original Japanese music, but the rest of this news sounds like a trainwreck waiting to happen.

::please keep Veronica Taylor and Rachael Lilis:::

::Crosses fingers::

I love May's dub voice, I couldn't stand to hear her sound different.

Only the licensing of the series (which one would assume would include merchandising rights) outside of Asia is being transferred under this agreement. 4Kids will still be the ones actually producing the dub, as confirmed by this article.

However....with 4Kids no longer controlling the license....this opens the doors for an official subtitled release. It truly is a Festivus miracle.

There dub contract lasts through the end of the current season. We'll have to see whether they'll keep that.

Archaic said:
Only the licensing of the series (which one would assume would include merchandising rights) outside of Asia is being transferred under this agreement. 4Kids will still be the ones actually producing the dub, as confirmed by this article.

However....with 4Kids no longer controlling the license....this opens the doors for an official subtitled release. It truly is a Festivus miracle.
Hrm. I thought that the article implied that the eighth current season was 4Kid's last season that they'll have in production. Are we reading this wrong? Should we have taken it as 4Kid's is gonna continue to produce the anime, even after the 8th season?

Cuz, I'm perfectly fine with the status quo, especially if the status quo means the availability of subtitled DVDs.

You're reading this wrong. Basic rule of thumb here is that, if they don't say they're stopping something explicitly, then they're not stopping. The rest of the article stipulates pretty clearly that this was only the expiration of the agreement that gave 4Kids control over licensing agreements of the anime and related merchandise outside of Asia (which is a seperate thing to their contract to dub the series), so that line about the 8th season implies to me that they're going on and doing all seasons after that as well.

I don't know what to think

this could be good or bad

the only thing I'm worried about (as everyone else) are the VAs

I just talked to Mike Pollock and he said it's just the licensing of items. 4Kids used to handle the licensing when a company wanted to use Pokemon characters on a product, but now PUSA will. So, it really has nothing to do with the dub. It's just the company.

Water Pokémon Master said:
I just talked to Mike Pollock and he said it's just the licensing of items. 4Kids used to handle the licensing when a company wanted to use Pokemon characters on a product, but now PUSA will. So, it really has nothing to do with the dub. It's just the company.
We still have that fantastic topic on Serebii with that awesome sensationalistic headline that made a shitload of Sppf users freak out. I suggest you leave them in the dark with this one. :D

I already edited it and posted several times that it isn't so, but I am pretty sure most of them will miss it.

On one hand: Yay! VAs!

On the other hand: Boo! Sandwiches!

Ah well, it was an interesting idea while it lasted.

There's no reason we wont see such an event in the future.

Nintendo already reigned in the TCG to complete control and thanks to Yamauchi, Nintendo IS investing in animation development. Whilst I'd find it hard to imagine the originals being brought in-house, the dubbing side of it is a lot less relentless on workloads.

If it was completely infeasible, no-one would have reached the inital conclusion that we did come to. I would not be surprised somewhere down the line for it to actually happen.

Although I'm sure we'll see a lot more build up to it than what we would have gotten from this.

Water Pokémon Master said:
Oh....

What a relief!

Thank you so much, Water Pokémon Master!

If you hadn't talked to Mike Pollock, I probably would've done that.

Anyway, when I first read this article, it really scared me.

I thought I'd never hear Veronica Taylor do Ash's voice ever again! And I love Ash's voice! <3

I don't think I'd ever be able to handle anyone else doing his voice....

Also, I thought I'd never hear any of the other main character's voices again.

Phew.

I'm just glad they're just getting the liscensing, and not the actual production.

*is very relieved*

Anyway, I'm very glad about the VAs. :-D

And also, there's another good thing we could be getting out of this, and that's subtitled DVDs (I hope we get those! That would be awesome!!!). ^_^

Last edited:
Even if 4kids stopped producing the dub I don't think that would have to mean a change of voice actors. It's not like Veronica Taylor and the others are the property of 4kids. They all dub for Central Park Media too (Slayers TV, Utena) as well as that company that did the Kare Kano dub. So it's entirely possible that Pokemon USA could hire the same VAs without involving 4kids, if it came to that.

Archaic said:
Question....Pokémon USA recently started looking for an animation director, didn't they? We know that this won't impact the dub now, but....could there perhaps be something along the lines of an in house sub?
That would be just as great as 4Kids not dubbing. Especially if they started from the beginning.

Talk about a lot of episodes, and useless ones at that. Most early ones were pretty true to the originals and have no need to be introduced again. No, if subs were to arrive, the start of AG is where I'd want the games to begin. And maybe they could toss on a little spice *coughbannedepscough coughmoviescough coughspecialscough*

Well that rather puts a damper on things. Ah well, I can't say I'm really that disappointed since I haven't watched the dub for quite a while anyway.

Though they might have been good by comparision long ago, and though pokemon has been dubbed better than most of their other series... I'm inclined to say that any dubbing company still around, generally speaking, does a better job than 4Kids, so I welcome this news. ^_^

Could this be the first real hint that the cast of characters will change after the eighth season? I can see 4Kids wanting to drop the show if Ash and the gang weren't in it. Let Pokemon USA deal with the headaches of introducing new characters. 4Kids would still get royalties from the first 8 seasons for however long the shows and product tie-ins have commercial value. Likely it's control over licensing agreements that expired first. We could very well see other agreements expire and not getting renewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom