• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

o.o It really happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd be in a better position to know if the 8th season covers the end of the Battle Frontier arc than I am. Even if it doesn't, I doubt it would last longer than another season.

4Kids probably wouldn't--or couldn't--negotiate a one year extension. It wouldn't be worth the effort. The VA's could be easily hired by Pokemon USA to complete the saga.

I can suggest that Ash triumphs in the Battle Frontier arc and is declared a Pokemon Master. Ash's goal is achieved. Bring in the new crew!

Someone doesn't know what they're talking about. :p

Season 8 covers the rest of Hoenn and up till the Mr. Mime/Sneasel episode of the BF.

Season 9, the one Pokemon USA starts with, will be the next 52 episodes of the Frontier. (which will pretty much be the whole thing I'm guessing)

And seriously, get real. What 4kids wants has nothing to do with anything. The show centers around Ash, and it will ALWAYS center around him. Ash beating the BF (which he obviously will, as you'd have to be an utter moron not to expect him to get all 7 symbols) will not make him a Pokemon Master.

The D/P saga will still focus on Ash and his friends, and Pokemon USA will hopefully dub it and keep it as close to the original as possible.

Well, forgive me for not living and breathing Pokemon like some people around here! I'm sorry I'm not up to date about what each season covers what.

Can 4Kids control what happens in the show? Of course not. 4Kids just markets the show and tie-in products outside Asia. Seems to me that gives them some leverage in what happens considering how big that market is. How many people have complained about the show has become westernized over the years?

4Kids only cares about money. If they saw a future in Pokemon, they would have fought tooth and nail to retain the licensing rights. The fact they let the agreement lapse means they saw some reason to do so.

They know something about the future direction of Pokemon. They'd have to know under the terms of the contract they signed. No doubt they would have insisted writing into the contract that Nintendo clue them in, if not actually tell 4Kids, where the show was going.

I'm guessing they see the cast characters changing. Whether it happens after 8 seasons, 9 seasons, or how ever many seasons doesn't really matter. They wouldn't want to deal with the headaches.

It could be there are other reasons. Whatever they are, they didn't come out on top of the cost/benefit ratio the bean counters did for 4Kids and they are starting to walk away from the show.

As for Ash always being the main character of Pokemon, my reply is YuGiOh GX.

No need to be snappy. We're not trying to attack you or anything.

4Kids didn't let the agreement lapse. Nintendo wanted to bring it in-house, just like they've done with the TCG. It's a nice business strategy. They learn how the industry works by working together with an experienced partner, then they go it on their own and try to improve on the formula.

Your point with YuGiOh is valid, however I don't believe the circumstances are exactly the same here. With YuGiOh, the anime series closely followed the manga. When the author of that manga got sick of his characters, finished the original, and started GX, the anime had to follow that lead. Pokémon is a very different kettle of fish there. There is no sole writer who's going to get sick of the characters and change everything to satisfy their own personal whims.

I apologize for being snappy. It's something that comes easily for somebody who's 51 years old. I hear a lot of nonsense and I just have to respond.

A one day drop in 4Kids stock means nothing. If it continues to drop, that's something.

Unregistered said:
I'm guessing they see the cast characters changing. Whether it happens after 8 seasons, 9 seasons, or how ever many seasons doesn't really matter. They wouldn't want to deal with the headaches.

I don't get it, where is the evidence of this? It's a baseless theory. 4kids didn't give up the license because "the cast is changing." As Archaic said, it's Nintendo wanted to control things more directly and cutting out the middle-man.

The Battle Frontier saga will most likely not be Ash's final region, because neither Ash nor May have achieved their goals yet. They're not going to throw away their two starring characters for no reason.

And likewise, why wouldn't 4kids dub a season with new characters? They dubbed the Raikou special, as well as most of Chronicles which only included Misty/Tracey as former main characters.

*steps in* I believe the current season actully ends with the two Saffron Contest episodes. *leaves*

BREAKING NEWS

Anime News Network has confirmed it, and Mike Pollock has clarified his earlier statements to WPM in a conversation with me.

Anime News Network said:
posted on 2005-12-23 18:13:02

Pokemon USA takes Over Licensing, 4Kids not Involved in Next SeriesAs of January 1st, Pokemon USA will take over all aspects of Pokemon licensing from 4Kids. Since Pokemon USA was founded in 2001 licensing responsibilities were split between the two companies, but now all licensing will be handled by Pokemon USA.

In addition, ANN has learned that 4Kids will not be producing or distributing the English language version of the next Pokemon TV series to be released in North America, Battle Frontier.

No one from Pokemon USA was available to confirm how (or when) the next series will be produced and distributed.

Mike Pollock said:
ArchaicEternal (14:27:46): Apologies for bothering you Mike. Got a little question for you, if that's alright. I'm sure you've already been asked this several times already, but anyway....can you confirm or deny that 4Kids will continue to be responsible for the dubbing of Pokemon post-8th season, following the recent ending of their contract to handle the licensing of the franchise in the west?
Mike Pollock (14:29:03): Since I'm not a 4Kids employee, no one's told me anything. And even if they had, I wouldn't be able to discuss it do to my Non-Disclosure agreement.
Mike Pollock (14:30:17): Tho, if I had to guess, I'd expect there'd be a similar arrangement to Sonic X where ShoPro administers the rights, and 4Kids has the TV license.
ArchaicEternal (14:31:35): I was afraid you'd say something like that. Several people have been claiming you've made statements to that effect, but I had a feeling NDA's would prohibit you from disclosing such information. I'm going to have to crack some heads I see.

*Nods* I was wondering if such an arrangement might happen myself, though given that Pokemon USA recently put up a position vacant for an Animation Director, I'm not entirely certain about that.
Mike Pollock (14:32:23): I'm just an independent contractor. I show up and read a script.
ArchaicEternal (14:33:05): I see. Well, hopefully you'll be retained post 8th season, regardless of whom is now responsible for the dubbing.
Mike Pollock (14:33:38): Thanks. I quite agree.
ArchaicEternal (14:36:18): Do you mind if I quote this conversation (with your AIM name blocked out) on some forums, to rebut the claims being made about comments you've supposedly made?
Mike Pollock (14:36:31): Sure.
ArchaicEternal (14:36:35): Thanks.
Mike Pollock (14:37:39): The only other conversation I had was the first time I ever heard about the press release in question. I glanced at it and offered the same conjecture.
ArchaicEternal (14:37:57): Do you know who that was with?
Mike Pollock (14:38:57): PokeBeachWebsite
ArchaicEternal (14:40:36): Ah, so you did talk to Water Pokemon Master. Strange...I'd better look at his posts again. I could have sworn he had been one of the people claiming you'd said that 4Kids would continue the dubbing. Perhaps he misinterpreted your conjecture as a statement of fact.
Mike Pollock (14:40:50): Yes. But of course there's really no point in me talking about stuff of which I have no knowledge. It's purely guesswork on my part.
Mike Pollock (14:41:01): I have the whole convo archived. Allow me to share....
Mike Pollock (14:42:19): PokeBeachWebsite: Hey, I have a question
Mike Pollock: G'head
PokeBeachWebsite: 4Kids released a press release today saying something about PUSA taking over
PokeBeachWebsite: do you know anything about it?
PokeBeachWebsite: Is 4Kids not going to dub Pokemon anymore?
Mike Pollock: First time I
Mike Pollock: 'm hearing about it, but from the title of the release, it's licensing only. ADR is separate.
PokeBeachWebsite: Oh, you are reading it now?
Mike Pollock: yup
PokeBeachWebsite: Okay, so what exactly is changing?
Mike Pollock: The licensing. All the merchandising and such.
PokeBeachWebsite: What's an example of that
PokeBeachWebsite: I don't get it
Mike Pollock: Read the AP
PokeBeachWebsite: lol
Mike Pollock: Read the AP's take http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051223/4kids_entertainment_license.html?.v=1
Mike Pollock (14:42:35): Mike Pollock: When someone wants to make toys, bedding, clothing, they have to license the images. 4Kids handles that.
PokeBeachWebsite: Oh, so know PUSA will?
Mike Pollock: Yes. That's what the full release says. http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051223/20051223005061.html?.v=1
PokeBeachWebsite: ahh, i see
PokeBeachWebsite: I was so freaked out
PokeBeachWebsite: My heart skipped a beat when I read the press release
Mike Pollock: Presumably PUSA would licensing the tv rights back to 4Kids.
Mike Pollock: Much the way 4Kids dubs Sonic X but ShoPro handles licensing.
PokeBeachWebsite: oic
PokeBeachWebsite: hmm
Mike Pollock: Keep in mind I'm not a 4Kids employee, so this is really none of my business
PokeBeachWebsite: You are just helping me to understand it
Mike Pollock: Glad to be of service.
PokeBeachWebsite: hehe
PokeBeachWebsite: Hey, have you guys started dubbing the Mew/Lucario movie?
Mike Pollock: Non Disclosure Agreement
PokeBeachWebsite: What's that?
Mike Pollock: I can't talk about stuff that hasn't been released. It's in my contract.
PokeBeachWebsite: oic
PokeBeachWebsite: ok :)
Mike Pollock: Read about licensing. We have to go pick up dinner. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licensing#Intellectual_property
PokeBeachWebsite: ok
Mike Pollock: more later. Bye for now!
PokeBeachWebsite: ttyl, thank you for clearing that stuff up for me. Now I feel better
Mike Pollock: sure

Mike Pollock (14:44:33): ANd that's why I wrote http://snipurl.com/MikeMessage to avoid these chat that get misinterpreted. That's how I get into trouble.
Mike Pollock (14:45:25): Actually the reaction to an earlier unrelated incident, but I really should listen to my own advice.

Last edited:
So if I'm reading that correctly, does that mean Veronica Taylor and the rest of the gang will continue to be the voices for the main characters in Season 9?

4Kids could have easily pressed Nintendo to renew the contract if they wanted to. It was just a question of money. Obviously, they didn't think it was worth the money.

Ok, Pokemon USA wanted to take to take things in-house. Do you think Nintendo turned down 4Kids offers or do you think 4Kids didn't make an offer that was acceptable to them?

Time will tell who was right.

As for Pokemon Chronicles, we haven't heard they would they would be shown in the USA have we?

No, it does not. Indeed, that was exactly what I and Mike were talking about. What we "know", is, according to ANN, that 4Kids will not continue to be responsible for the dubbing of the series in the 9th season. What we do not know at this point what will happen with the voice actors, who are all independant contractors, not a part of 4Kids.

What?

I can't believe this!

I mean, I thought for sure that all of the worry was behind me....

And now this happens!

Oh no, they better keep all the VAs, especially Veronica Taylor, or this isn't gonna be good for the anime at all.

This is definitely bad news (or at least for me it is). :-(

Unregistered said:
I can suggest that Ash triumphs in the Battle Frontier arc and is declared a Pokemon Master. Ash's goal is achieved. Bring in the new crew!
What are you talking about, Unregistered?

I mean, Ash is the main character!

They'd never think of replacing him!

And besides, he still hasn't acheived his goal of becoming a Pokemon Master yet, so they definitely can't do anything like that.

Scott85 said:
And seriously, get real. What 4kids wants has nothing to do with anything. The show centers around Ash, and it will ALWAYS center around him. Ash beating the BF (which he obviously will, as you'd have to be an utter moron not to expect him to get all 7 symbols) will not make him a Pokemon Master.

The D/P saga will still focus on Ash and his friends, and Pokemon USA will hopefully dub it and keep it as close to the original as possible.
I completely agree with you, Scott85.

Possibily. It's just been pointed out to me that we have no idea where ANN's confirmation came from. For all we know, their confirmation was someone reading the initial fearful threads here, on SPPf, and elsewhere, and assuming they must all be right, otherwise they wouldn't be all excited and fearful about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom