• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Oak's Haiku manga!

Blackjack Gabbiani

Back due to popular demand!
Reaction score
Well, it's not quite a manga, but it's got illustrations for each haiku. The book covers most of RBY and GSC (I noticed it lacks Mew and Mewtwo), and while it has some RSE pokémon in the illustrations, it doesn't have haikus for any of them.

Here's some samples. Any requests?

So it's just a book full of Pokemon haikus? That's kind of cool.
Is there one for Celebi/Serebii?

So is the book with all these haiku nothing but Oak Haiku, or are there other things in there as well?

There's some weird matching game on one of the pages, like matching Golbat to a baseball bat (which is actually in the illustration on the Golbat haiku) and Raichu to a Ginko leaf...but other than that it seems to be just his haikus.

The Incarnation Pokémon said:
Yay! Burakki! *can't quite figure out all that it says there*
Burakki
Gekkou Pokemon
Taipu: Aku
Takasa: 1.0 m
Omosa: 27.0 kg

Ookido hakase memo
Burakkii wa Iibui ga, yonaka ni shinka shita mono to iwarete aru. Yoru ni naru to, Burakkii no karada no moyou ga hikaridasu ga, kore wa kurai naka de teki wo odorokasu no ni yaku tatsu you ja. Mata, ase ni wa doku ga majitte aru zo.

Burakkii
yami yo ni joujite
kakurenbo

Maitta ni ga oekakemasen.

Umbreon
Moonlight Pokémon
Type: Dark
Height: 3'3"
Weight: 59.5 lbs

Professor Oak memo
Umbreon is what Eevee's night evolution is called. When night comes, Umbreon's body patterns emit light, and this is useful by surprising opponents in the dark. Also, poison is mixed into its sweat.

Umbreon
Taking advantage of the dark night
Hide and seek

I'm at a loss [and] can't draw it. (?)

Or something like that. Hope it helps. Thank you, Murgatroyd, for that part in the haiku. Don't know what that smaller stuff above Ookido says. (Though it ends in "san", so it may be a name.)

Last edited:
Kthleen said:
Burakkii
yami yo ni [something]
kakurenbo
[...]
Umbreon
[Something] in the dark night
Hide and seek
Joujite.

...ni joujiru = to take advantage of...

So:
Umbreon
Taking advantage of the dark night
Hide and seek

Hmmm, the only thing I recognize off the top of my head is in the Meowth haiku, "Neko ni koban". It's an Japanese expression that translates to "To give gold to a cat", meaning to give something wonderful to someone and have them not appreciate it. Directly similar to the English expression "To cast pearls before swine".

I prefer the Chinese equivalent expression, 対牛弾琴 duì nǘ tán qín - playing music for a cow.

Also note that the coin on the forehead of Meowth is a koban. The senryū, as ever, is a pun.

ooh can you please scan Rapidash or Steelix, I would really appreciate it... ^_^

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom